[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Can I use schd 40 pvc for this instead of black pipe? To save some money
>>
Just get a free desk off Craigslist if you want to save money.
>>
>>2294442
No, the PVC will be wobbly as fuck
>>
>>2294442
If you want it to be worse, you are free to make it worse, yes
>>
>>2294442
>having a fucking bar right where your feet are
Its a godawful design

Anyway if you want a desk just like the pic and aren't willing to just live with a used $20 desk then just use wood painted black for the structure rather than any kind of pipe
>>
>>2294442
also do I need to use a thread sealant for the joints?
>>
>>2294554
Foot rest bar man lol and shin destroyer
>>
"Schedule" signifies the ratio of any pipe's side thickness to nominal diameter. It's not exclusive to plastic, ratings aren't linear and I don't remember the math.
Black iron pipe is specified by schedule, with schedule 40 being common.
Im not here to bust OP's chops, we know opie was obviously trying to differentiate between iron and plastic pipe. But the proper way to specify pipe is to include nominal diameter, material, and other properties.
For example
8" PVC sdr 28 truss pipe
3/4" galvanized steel sch 40
4" PVC sch 80, gasketed bell and spigot
48" elliptical RCP, C-76-iv

https://www.charlottepipe.com/tech_hub.aspx
>>
>>2294450
Fpbp
>>
>>2294450
100% this

Also,check out places that resell old doors and building materials. You might be able to get something cool for pennies
>>
>>2294556
No
>>
>>2294442
I have a similar setup, I used 2 of these to give room for my chair.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SOSIR8/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_D8TTYSYRB3GXTF429APR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
>>
>>2294854
I thought schedule had to do with NSF shit about where pipes can be used with schedule 40 being rated for potable water
>>
>>2294442
PVC is too weak.
Copper will work (though a bit wobbly too), but it is not cheap.
EMT conduit will work too, but you need to weld it probably which is tricky.
>>2294554
Foot/leg rest, I like it.
>>2294556
Why? Are you planning to run liquid through pipes lol?
>>
>>2294525
>No, the PVC will be wobbly as fuck
not him, but maybe fill it with something or use some cheap wooden rods inside?
>>
>>2294442
>Can I use schd 40 pvc for this instead of black pipe?
Short answer is "no"
The longer answer is you want your chair to be solid. You really really want your chair to be solid. You don't want to worry every time you sit down. You don't want your chair wriggling about under you. You might convince yourself "this is fine" but your brain will know it's not and you'll never relax.
>>
>>2294442
Go to a big box store. Grab a length of PVC. Hold it up. Notice how it's bending under its own weight? Now imagine 200+ pounds of human flesh pending it.
>>
>>2295186
It's ok as long as I don't bump it
>>
>>2295156
>Are you planning to run liquid through pipes lol?
lol no
>>
>>2295156
>EMT conduit will work too, but you need to weld it
yeah OP, just weld together some galvanized steel NBD
>>
>>2295579
Welding galvanized is literally not a big deal, especially EMT that are often electroplated not hot-dipped.
With stick that is. I bet MIG or TIG would not do that well of a job, and they don't work outdoors so you will defo get a random fewer and vomit going on due to fumes.
Also, you can sand that coating off, or remove it with vinegar or something.
Maybe muriatic acid, but idk, it is HCl, and chlorine gas is toxic.
>>
>>2295592
But then again, if OP had welder, he would probably had some tubing and would weld it, not PVC shit.
So he is more likely to use flux core or stick, which work OK with galvanized.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.