[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 68 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

I like the color
>>
>>2259216
At least you’re honest about it.
>>
File: 71xZ0ghRdBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (93 KB, 1500x674)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>2259216
I do bosch for 18v batteries and table saws and miter saws. Pretty consistent quality.

Milwaukee for 12v stuff
>>
>>2259237
Ridgidtard kys
You get those at biglots? lol
>>
File: makita.png (1.42 MB, 961x958)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB PNG
>>2259240
>>2259237
makita just werks, not the best but consistently "good enough" in everything they make
>>
I use Milwaukee fuel tos at work (portable bandsaw, impact, drill, Sawzall, circ saw, center cut shears, grinder)
And I have a Dewalt set I like at home.
Dewalt are lighter and feel a little cheaper, but have some things I like about them. I don't use them nearly as hard as my work tools so I can't really say which are best
I will be honest we really abuse our Milwaukees at work and they take a long time to break.
>>
>>2259216
My current set up is Makita, but I'd have no complaints if it was Dewalt or Milwaukie.
>>
>>2259248
nah, you just brand whore and never use anyone elses tools
>>
File: makita2.jpg (241 KB, 800x800)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
>>2259371
why would i use tools that aren`t teal?
>>
I like the price, and they work alright until they don't; then, I like the price again.
>>
>>2259367
Same, Makita but I have no beef with either of those.
>>
>>2259241
Excuse me, but it was the clearance aisle at Home Depot!
>>
I use DeWalt because they're cheap and reliable. Plenty of contractors around here buy pallets of bare tools and sell the extras for half of what they are in-store.
>>
What's your holy grail, makitabros? For me it's the robotic vacuum cleaner. I am thinking about buying the coffee maker though, just because it's so rediculous.
>>
File: makita lineup.jpg (653 KB, 1500x1125)
653 KB
653 KB JPG
>>2259493
Meant to attach this...
>>
>>2259493
i like the heated jacket, you will impress everyone at your near construction sites
>>
>>2259216
* colour

also, you have the big gay, because you are a battery cuck.
my Stanley No.805 is both wireless and battery-less
>>
File: image.jpg (1.37 MB, 2000x2000)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
>>2259216
There's also other colour options available. This is now a battery powered coffeemaker-thread.
>>
>>2259494
The image of lugging around a tool battery for the heated jacket is very funny
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (106 KB, 1280x720)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>2259540
uhh, black is the 'homeowner grade' so that coffeemaker doesn't make as strong of coffee as the teal one i'm sure.
>>
How come theres no black power tool brand?
>>
>>2259690
because blacks never work unless you're standing there whipping them
>>
>>2259410
>$1000 electric wheelbarrow
>half the capacity of a $100 Jackson
>>
>>2259694
>make the wheelbarrow bigger
>niggers load 5 tons of cement
>wheelbarrow breaks
>somehow this is makitas fault
>>
>>2259731
It's half the volume, half the weight capacity, and moves at half walking speed. It is half as good as a standard wheelbarrow, at ten times the price. There is no justification for this. Even a woman could move a manual 3cuft wheelbarrow, for fuck's sake.
>>
>>2259748
Sure but 8 hours up and down a hill and then in and out of a foundation?

Kind of a pain in the ass, and some rare times thats the dealio amigo
>>
>>2259522
Ok boomer
>>
>>2259753
>8 hours
At their rated maximum of 100 hours of runtime on 2x 5Ah batteries, you would need an additional $1000 of batteries to run your $1000 wheelbarrow. Which is about what it costs to employ a Mexican day laborer for a month.
>>
>>2259690
Flex!

The upside to bright tools is they’re easy to spot when it’s time to clean up at a job
>>
>>2259216
love makita me but can we all agree their placement of the LED is absolute shit? It's blocked by the chuck on their drills or the front plastic on their impacts and so it literally cannot illuminate whatever you're driving or drilling. Why tf did they put the light right there? Maybe it sounded like a good idea but it's totally useless in practice. Would have been better down at the base like most other tools.
>>
I'm an electrician and I use milwaukee every day at work. Great so far.
I used to really like Makita (still do) but milwaukee had the better deal at home depot when I first started so I went with them and now I'm stuck in their ecosystem. Not that I'm complaining. My heart still pines for makita for some reason though.
>>
File: makdlx2005mbj-3.jpg (202 KB, 1500x1500)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
>>2259690
Makita got you covered. Again.
>>
>>2259748
>It's half the volume, half the weight capacity, and moves at half walking speed. It is half as good as a standard wheelbarrow, at ten times the price.

Mathematically speaking, it's 1/8th as good then
>>
>>2259959
1/80th as good then when you factor in it is 10 times the price
>>
>>2259965
2x as good if you factor in not having to push it yourself
>>
>>2259959
Eh, that's debatable. I don't consider volume and weight capacity to be completely separate factors for the typical user. It's not like it's reasonable to assume a typical wheelbarrow user is going to be hauling dirt and rocks, while an electric wheelbarrow user is going to be hauling lead ingots. The density of the wheelbarrow freight should be comparable, and both wheelbarrows have equivalent relationships between volume and weight capacities.

As for the half walking speed part, I can't say for certain everyone will consistently move a loaded wheelbarrow at normal walking speed, or that they won't need to take additional rest breaks if they do.

I stand by my claim that it's half as good as a regular wheelbarrow, while adding that it has the potential of having as little as one quarter the material throughput.
>>
I buy old polished steel air/corded tools made in the US from the 50s-60s.
since I don't have a compressor, I run the air tools off of a bellows system which is operated by several hamsters spinning wheels
>>
>>2259977
What’s the duty cycle like on the hamsters?
>>
Are Makita a really good & reliable brand?? I got a bunch of my grandparents tools and there's an old Makita Driver Drill.
>>
I’ve owned this black and decker drill for about 10 years and it’s never let me down. Done everything with this absolute MULE.
>>
Dewalt/Milwaukee are in their own league tbf
>>
I won't buy a tool just because I like the colour, but I'll avoid buying a tool because I hate the colour.

Ryobi would sell so much more if it wasn't vile neon piss colour
>>
>>2259691
Holy based
>>
>>2259690
Old AEG tools were black and some dark blue.
>>
File: 12341237689132.png (592 KB, 564x583)
592 KB
592 KB PNG
>>2260199
I've been using battery makita shit for a decade and I've only burned out two tools (one of which I was doing dumb shit)
>be contractor
>warehouse has some aircraft skin that they're rejecting and want cut up
>cut it up with 6 1/2 circular saw (may have been to lazy to get a proper cutting blade)
>saw is kill and smoking by the time I'm through cutting all of it up
another
>remodeling a basement in a mansion
>working 10-14hrs/day for a week
>screwgun (3-4 years old at this point) begins to get extremely hot whenever I drive a screw

I've been very happy with my makita tools so far, I haven't had any issue that makes me want to switch brands at this point
>>
>>2260215

I'm rolling Makita now (drill, driver, recip, rattle gun, circular caw, sander) but wish I went DeWalt because the flexvolt stuff looks good.

II hink between the major brands it's close enough that it doesn't matter any ways. Maybe an edge to Milwaukee if one of the extended tool range tools applies to your work.
>>
>>2260992
if you really need more power why not makita GXT?
>>
>>2261106
Because why would you when the other brands just rape Makita in terms of power?
>>
>>2260992
Just get a battery adapter if you want a specific tool from another brand.
>>
>>2261144
except they dont
>>
>>2261163
Except they do, and Makita as a company has never ever tried to compete in sheer power.
The only reason to ever use Makita as an ameriburger is to be a retard contrarian.
>>
>>2261188
>The only reason to ever use Makita as an ameriburger is to be a retard contrarian.
wrong, the only reason to use makita is to be a gigachad
>>
>>2261211
Right alongside your anime figurines and body pillows (which ironically enough are nip things that are actually made in china aswell)
>>
>>2261215
>muh made in china
check where your "american" power tool was made
>>
Is the dewalt 10 tool kit for $599.99 at home depot a good deal?
>>
>>2259216
I like the Bosch color scheme
>>
File: makdvc750lz_1.jpg (149 KB, 1100x1100)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
How is their cordless wet/dry vac? I want one that has the ability to strap it on either the shoulder or as a backpack, and I like the toolbox design.
>>
>>2259431
>>2259417

Best bang for your buck, dewalt slightly better and more expensive, Milwaukee best but stupid expensive.
>>
>>2259257
this is pretty much my experience but i have a makita set at home.

milwaukee tools can take a fucking beating. i've seen impact drills dropped from second story roofs onto concrete and still work. if i could, i'd buy a fuckload of milwaukee tools for myself.
>>
File: 13.jpg (34 KB, 580x324)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>2259748

The electric wheelbarrow is for old folks. You'll be happy to have once you blow out your spine by being so macho in your youth.
>>
>>2261415
Lack of liftgate is pathetic.
>>
>>2261151
Too complicated and unreliable
>>
Professional series works mostly well, some machines are just exceptional.

Green is shit tho
>>
File: 81aZRMxizXL._SL1500_.jpg (147 KB, 1238x1500)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>2259493
the black version of the Brushless Hybrid Impact Hammer Drill/Driver, took them years to import the standard model to the US Market but it is still crazy-rare and the black version is JDM-only.

>>2259509
heated jackets are a dime a dozen these days, in Japan you can get COOLED Makita jackets with built in fans.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (124 KB, 1000x750)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>JDM gets olive green makita tools
its not fucking fair gaijin bros
>>
>>2261415
Giving your elderly father an electric wheelbarrow as a walker is just cruel.
>>
>>2262509
JDM makita is way better than global, sad they dont make them for other markets
>>
>>2262499
>>2262509
Fuck man I want them, I can get a black cordless screw-drill one here but no olive green impact driver.
What's the best way to import to Europe? Buyee+ AmazonJP?
>>
File: db62umny61171.jpg (590 KB, 2736x3648)
590 KB
590 KB JPG
>>2262509
They get pink and purple too
I think purple is the best color
>>
i am elemtrician, i have this drill and it is very fun to use, anything under 1" augur bits barely has resistance in standard 2x material, and in LVL/LSL studs too
>>
>>2259494
My carpenter Brother has this plastered on his garage door, he says he's gonna do his best to buy them all but only on the company's dime, as he gets a tool allowance. He's about a third of the way there.

He does like the tools, but his first set was ryobi and he still has more of those.
>>
>>2264210
I use dewalt tools but honestly they're just the most frequent on sale here. Not like brand loyalty matters a whole lot, the whole family (father is a millwright, I am an apprentice millwright as well) scrounges up whatever we can find that's cheap and decent. Get enough battery converters and you'll never give enough of a fuck to care who uses what, lest it's some store brand like crap and decker
>>
>>2259494
Metal shear!?
>>
>>2260209
I have a similar one, mine has an "impact" option as well though. I don't use it as often but it hasn't disappointed me
>>
I run Makita (electrician). I love their tools so far, and i prefer Jap/German power and hand tools on principle.

Milwaukee has been tempting with their tiny drivers and electrician specific tools, but every faggot douchebag is also coincidentally a huge Milwaukee fanboy so up until this point I havent bought it because of that
>>
>>2259237
>retard name fag bought rigid the forgotten middle child.
>>
>>2259690
makita japan have black to pink to red.
>>
>>2264437
And Ryobi!
>>
>>2261273
It's bretty good. Of all the main colours, it is the weakest, but that's because it's also HEPA, which heavily slows airflow. It's small size and quiet volume are good if you do renovation work with homeowners present. If you don't, then...why not just use a plug in vacuum? They really do blow all cordless vacs out of the water in terms of power.
>>
>>2259494
For me its got to be the auto sneed screwdriver
>>
>>2264586
So you "splurged" with the Ridgid a few years ago, but are too poor to keep buying ridgid?
>>
>>2264325
Lol what a contrarian faggot. I'm an electrician too and went milwaukee originally only because they had the better deal at home depot when I was an apprentice. but im glad I did. Their stuff saves me so much time it's ridiculous. The m12 band saw might be my favorite purchase from them
>>
>>2264816
there is no point in buying rigid cordless tools.
>only get battery warranty on kits.
>got do sign up or fucked
>tools are updated and forgotten and line changes are killed.
You either go ryobi cause they release tools, or you go milky to feel superior red man worker fix.
>>
>>2264816
I did it for the yard tools. Wanted me a cordless hedge trimmer, got a chainsaw coming for Xmas and thinking about the pole saw next.

>>2264893
This is what I tell most people, just do Ryobi because their brushless stuff is getting really good and Ridgid’s lineup is meh. Also all of my batteries are under warranty and they’re starting to do lifetime warranties on individual packs I believe. Their tools are solid for the money just like Kobalt, lots of features of Milwaukee level tools without the high prices, and I got a good price on the original setup with a beefy brushless sawzall and solid hammer drill and impact driver. I’m doing fine with Ridgid for the main tools and now Ryobi for goofy household shit and yard tools.

It will be trickle down with the next new tools, Milwaukee will have it first, then Ridgid 2 years later, then Ryobi will get it 2-3 years after that.
>>
>>2264985
>>2264893
why buy trash when you can get superior teal tools?
>>
>>2265453
I like orange and lime green better
>>
Bosch or Festool are good
>>
File: 169633.jpg (34 KB, 640x480)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Might not be premium quality but always been a fan of Bosch myself
>>
File: 1566867163884.png (1.41 MB, 1200x576)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB PNG
>>2265453
Ryobi has a great line-up, they have dozens of oddball tools that no one else makes and things like caulking guns and Pex Tools for a fraction of the price of other brands.
>>
>>2265793
Pretty much. It’s about the tools that don’t need to be built to withstand 50hrs a werk of abuse. I mention the fans all the time, the Ryobi is like $40, the Ridgid is $60 or $70, the Milwaukee is $90-$100, and they’re all very similar quality and the 10% Milwaukee fan is obviously not worth $100
>>
>>2265645
Honestly I think Ryobi is pretty based. Decent tools at a reasonable price point that are great for DIY at home. They're not the most powerful or best built tools, but that's fine when you aren't running them 8 hours a day 6 days a week. Totally adequate for the average person doing a couple projects a month at home. Plus the low cost and very large selection of tools using the battery is great.
But god, I cannot stand that lime green/neon yellow color scheme. It's just ugly as fuck to me. I'll pay more for another brand just to avoid having to look at that color every time I walk into my garage.
>>
File: 81vPo49I+VL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (163 KB, 1500x1270)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>2265851
>>2265822
>>2265793

>t. i buy trash because i dont know any better
>>
>>2261144
No according to project farm
>>
>>2259691
kek
>>
>>2265793
I mean I've never met a plumber who didn't exclusively use a hand-clamp for Pex, but okay.
>>
File: 2674-22C_Kit.png (56 KB, 520x520)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
>>2266984
because most plumbers dont want to spend $2000 on a fancy clamper boy.
>>
>>2266070
buy the tool for what you need, some people just need a drill they can hang a picture frame with not run at a jobsite 60 hours a week.

you dont buy a Prius to haul a horse trailer nor do you buy a 3500 Dually to drive for Uber.
>>
>>2267026
im sorry you are so poor you have to drive a prius
>>
>>2267024
I mean the only guy to tell me where he got his clamp and the price said it was 600 bucks, that ain't cheap either.
>>
Milwaukee. Let one dipshit borrow my circular saw. Came back to find it at the bottom of the basement encased completely in ice. Once it thawed out and I got it out of there and it dried it still worked kek, although it was weaker.
>>
File: fsdfsdfsdf.png (1.42 MB, 1402x580)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB PNG
>>2259216
i have no idea what i want for christmas
what makita tool should i wish for
nothing i really need but otherwise i get some novelty stuff that never gets used

maybe something for plants or something for janitoring
>>
This brand has everything you need for most individuals. All the torque ratings, rpms , and per minute what ever is within less than 5% of Makita, Metabo, and Milwaukee. Here’s the most important factor life time warranty on everything including the battery. I had a brushed drill from 14 years ago that was replaced with an octane last year, and multiple batteries along the way. Rigid is the only choice.
>>
File: snakeu.png (377 KB, 600x337)
377 KB
377 KB PNG
>>2264231
heh
>>
>>2264868
>only because they had the better deal at home depot when I was an apprentice
lol still making the same apprentice mistakes huh. embarrassing
>>
>>2259417
>>2259431
Not gonna lie, I don't really get why people hate the color on Ryobi stuff, I kinda like it. Makes it really easy to spot a tool if you set it down and walk away too.

I do understand why people don't like them on a functional level, if they have need of more heavy duty stuff. For me though, they're pretty much always good enough and you can't beat the price.
>>
the future is now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srW6ChShrwA
>>
>>2261411
>milwaukee tools can take a fucking beating.
very happy with their angle grinders, hammer drills not so much
>>
> ctrl + f “craftsman”
> no results

big sad, my dad and grandpa were big craftsman men. grandpa had a mess of craftsman tools he used to use at the plant as a millwright, loved their warranty because he lived right near a sears. With the exception of some specialty tools dads always had craftsman power tools and they’ve never let him down. motivated me to by a v20 set when i moved out, but it’s also nice that there is a Lowes and an Ace right by my house. I know modern craftsman is basically DeWalt lite but still. They’re pretty good for the average homeowner, we’ll see how they perform in 5-10 years
>>
>>2259216
I like most of their stuff but their driver/drill set was terrible because of the trigger pull.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.