[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: shippingcontainer.jpg (1.06 MB, 2000x1500)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
So any of you ever thought about making some sort of shelter or bunker for tornado's? I was thinking of burrying an used shipping container for this.
>>
>>2258856
>I was thinking of burrying an used shipping container for this.
this is such a good idea, how did I not think of this???
>>
>>2258856
didn't we already have this thread?
the weight of the earth would crush the container.
>>
>>2258856
I've been doing two a week for the past couple years and now have over 60,000 square feet of secure storage at my farm.
>>
>>2258856
>>2258858
Shipping containers for alternative dwellings? this is kinda new territory for /diy/
You might not get many replies or ideas.
You Maverick you
>>
File: 1637698603206.jpg (1.05 MB, 2000x1500)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
Hey /diy/ I haven't ever seen someone ask this in one of these threads.

So any of you ever thought about making some sort of shelter or bunker for tornado's? I was thinking of burrying an used shipping container for this.
>>
>>2258886
you could offset the pressure that the soil exerts on the outside by filling the inside with imitation crabmeat
then you would have something to eat during an emergency
>>
File: ChadDome.jpg (132 KB, 1136x852)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
The virgin metal death container collapses at the sight of the Chad omnicompetent Dome of sex

>2021
>Not building domes
shiggy diggy
>>
>>2258944
On the right looks like an amogus
>>
>>2258944
Ugly and gay
>>
Why not an reservoir tank, those are made tu be buried...
>>
>>2258856
Some idiot was bragging on the Reddit diy board a few years back about making an underground chill out shipping container pad that he got unlicenced contractors to bury for him and the thread just filled with people attacking him on how dangerous it was to do that lol. I think some Redditors tracked down his address and snitched him out to his county's building inspector in Ontario.
>>
>>2260243
IDK if I saw the same one that you're referencing, but I saw one on reddit years ago where a guy made a "party bunker" out of one under his backyard, with furry shag carpet on the walls and lots of big flat panel tv's running trippy visualizations etc.
After a lot of prodding from other users, he added a vent fan for fresh air intake.
After the first good rain, the walls and ceiling bulged in a good bit, and he realized that he had made a horrible mistake.
>>
>>2258856
>burrying an used shipping container
Just make sure you use enough extension cords or the sides will cave in.
>>
File: JM7.png (493 KB, 915x485)
493 KB
493 KB PNG
>>2260259
Just make sure you put enough dirt over it. A container that's not securely buried can blow off into space.
>>
>>2258944
looks sussy
>>
>>2260255
Yeah that's the one. He smoked weed down there too. Pity the room didn't catch fire to teach him a lesson
>>
Grandpa buried a school bus in the 70s. Stripped the seats, axles, engine and transmission then welded a staircase sticking up out of the side. The bus and stairs were then hot tarred. They dug out a hole next to the house, put down a thick layer of pea gravel and a sump for dewatering, lowered the bus in with the top of the staircase against the house, poured concrete around the bus first, let it cure, then on top, let it cure and filled back in with dirt. The staircase opened directly into the living room and a door was installed. This all worked great for 40 years until the sump died during a wet weather spell and wasn't noticed until the bus was half full of water. The carpet and wood paneling had to be replaced and some rust started showing but it's fixed now.

Moral of the story: it's not difficult, it is expensive, and requires multiple redundant active dewatering systems or monitoring. It was always humid down there as well and a dehumidifier or active ventilation should have been employed.
>>
>>2258856
contener posting should be a banable offence

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.