[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Can you use flux core mig wire in stick welder? Like cut off length of wire and use it as a weird stick.
It is just really hard to find 1/16 electrodes here, and MIG is 0.9 mm
>>
i don't know, try it and find out. What's the worst that could happen.
>>
>>2254683
I'd buy a fuckton of mig wire while i have no mig machine.
>>
>>2254674
I'd guess no but never tried. I'd think it's get to hot and the whole thing would melt instead of just the end.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIf8BJ9BRH8
hmmm
>>
File: 1601076588020.jpg (10 KB, 301x301)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
I'm not sure if my water heater elements are going bad or not

Lately it seems to run out of hot water much quicker, I used to be able to take 35 minute showers with hot water and now the water starts to run lukewarm/cold around 15-17 minutes and it seems to take longer to heat water back up after all the hot water is used.

>The thermostat hasn't had it's temp changed, its sitting right below 140.
>tested resistance with a multimeter on both a hot and cold tank
>elements are both 4500 watts
>Everything online says resistance should be >10, more specifically 12-13 as a consensus on most sites when it comes to 4500 watt elements
>elements both test ~9.0, give or take .1 or .2
>they test that way whether the tank is hot or cold

The only info I can really find on water heater elements is "they're bad if they show 0 or unlimited but also they might be bad in other cases", nothing addresses them only showing resistance slightly lower than what's supposedly in spec.

Any thoughts on if they're bad or if the 9.0 reading means they're fine? I couldn't find any info on what their resistance should be according to the manual/manufacturer, but the water heater is less than 10 years old.
>>
File: fiberglass.jpg (965 KB, 1908x2049)
965 KB
965 KB JPG
I'll be using fiberglass for molding and noticed my fiber has a few threads hanging out here and there like in pic related.
Will this affect the properties of the final laminate?
Is there a specific name for this phenomenon so I can look into it?
>>
File: 20211117_130914.jpg (68 KB, 458x524)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
Can I replace a burnt 16v capacitor with a new 25v one in the board of a dead monitor?

Dumb question, I know.
>>
>>2254807
A capacitor will only charge with the voltage applied.
The monitor may only supply 12V in which case either capacitor will only charge up to 12V
The capacitance is the same in the photo (1000 uf) which is good.

Important: Electrolytic capacitors have polarity i.e the legs need to be soldered the correct way around. The white stripe shows the negative leg.

tl;dr yes, put it in the right way around
>>
>>2254793
Unless you're making a jet engine cowling, I don't see it making an appreciable difference to the strength of the part.

Presumably there will be a few layers, can you just put the damaged part in the middle layer(s)?
>>
>>2254743
Could be corroded. Do you live in a hard water area?
>>
>>2254700
My money is on this.

Rods probably have 100x the flux material, cant imagine the manufacturers would give that extra material away for no reason.
>>
You really can't. The wire can't be longer than the typical length of a mig gun's contact tip to the workpiece, so it needs a feed mechanism to keep that constant.
>>
>>2254743
The lower the resistance, the higher the energy output. Anything high enough not to trip your breaker and low enough to hear water up is fine for a water heater. You might be imagining it, running more water, insulation on your tank may have gotten bad, or there's corrosion on your contacts which increases resistance.
If you wanna know exactly what the resistance on your heating elements should be, just use your nominal power (4500 W) and ohms law. For a water heater, the math will be exact. I tried doing it in my head but something ain't right, you either have more than one element or you're running on a circuit other than 120V.
>>
File: hard water lol.png (471 KB, 1000x1089)
471 KB
471 KB PNG
>>2254813
Didn't even consider this, fucking lol at apparently living in one of the six metro areas notorious for having the hardest water in the country.

Would them being corroded really start to affect the heating? They definitely still heat the water to the desired temp, but if the corrosion makes it take longer then I guess that would start to explain things if the resistance on the elements doesn't mean they're actually going bad.

I'll start searching, but I'm assuming to clean them it would be similar to the replacement steps, except after pulling it out do whatever the process is to clean and them sticking the same one back in instead of a new one? Or would it just be easier to replace them anyways if I pull them out and it's apparent corrosion is the issue
>>
>>2254813
Oh yeah, limescale is another possibility.
>>
>>2254821
Thank you for this more in depth explanation, literally nothing I've found has addressed this and most sites seem like they just copy and paste from each other and only address what it means if the element shows 0 or unlimited, nothing gave detail like this short comment. I'm not an electrician by any means to the lower the resistance the higher the energy output explanation is a great way for me to understand it. Breaker hasn't been tripping, and the water definitely heats to what the thermostat is set at, I've measured the temp at multiple faucets at different times.

The other >>2254813 commentor also mentioned corrosion, so it seems like that might be easiest to check/address first.

It's a 240v circuit, and the heater has 2 4500 watt elements, one on top and one on bottom, both show the same resistance at 9.0 ohms, give or take 0.1-0.2 depending on conditions.
>>
>>2254825
Keep in mind only one of those 4500w elements is active at one time.
Also, be aware that the switch/thermostat that the elements are driven from can go bad.
Consider flushing your tank, and if it all looks pretty clear, then consider testing/replacing that switch. Your element resistance is normal.
>>
How much should it realistically cost to trim a tree that's like, IDK, 15-20ft high and about as wide?

I know I live in southern California and all, but the quote we got from the gardeners ($1,200) seems insane, even at commercial rates. I dismissed it immediately, but someone I was talking with later said "that sounds about right because [reasons]". So now I don't know what to thing.
>>
>>2254811
I also didn't think it would make any big difference. I have enough undamaged fabric to use so I don't have to worry about a few fiber sticking out anyway.
I couldn't find anything about broken fibers and how it effects the laminate at all or what that phenomenon would be called.
>>
>>2254841
What do you mean by trim a tree? What kind? Can you use a ladder, or do you need a scissor lift?
>>
>>2254841
DIY if you want to. Tree trimming is dangerous and expensive so they charge you more because of that. Hourly rates for tree trimmers are $50 an hour.
>>
Know this won't work but tell us what happened when you tried it
>>
>>2254674
No.
electrodes have a flux coating that burns off and covers the weld with slag/gas.

try hooking up a piece of copper wire as a weld stick with no flux. tell me how it goes when its red hot and fries your machine.
>>
File: thumb up cat.jpg (60 KB, 736x736)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>2254810
gee, thanks anon
>>
File: Window escape.jpg (854 KB, 1992x753)
854 KB
854 KB JPG
I'm not breaking in, it's my fucking room, it's my window
30-40 minutes I lost count of using a hacksaw and I can't seem to go past this point. The blade is red
>>
>>2254979
Are you sawing concrete with a hacksaw?
>>
>>2254985
No, it's metal, iron, I don't know, steel? it's metallic, it sounds metallic and bounces.
>>
>>2254979
>>2254985
I noted the level it's at, and kept using the hacksaw, red blade so that's the uh, the red dust there but it won't go down
What's going on?
I apply force and I don't think it's working, can I use a drill?
>>
How much powerful a laser has to be to cut a 0.5mm sheet of silver?
I need to cut it to make watch gears, do it has to be extremly high precision
>>
>>2254979
>>2254985
Stupid question but could I somehow use a sledge hammer to end this thing? It will just bounce right?
My plan is to break one side and hide it, when the inevitable fire happens I break down the glass from the window and push the metal bar with all my strength, I would then escape the fire and the other danger, as it stands this metal bar is my second killer.
>>
Does anyone sell 10mm T-slot besides Makerbeam?
>>
>>2254674
Yes, I've done it. It works better than youd think. I twisted 3 wires together to increase deposition rate. Protip. Use gassles innershield. Not dualshield.
>>
>>2255054
Also dont use mig wire. Flux core only. You need the flux. I
>>
>>2254940
>electrodes have a flux coating that burns off and covers the weld with slag/gas.
What exactly do you think FCAW is anon?
>>
File: worker peepee.jpg (38 KB, 509x499)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
I'm looking at buying a wrench for general use.

Should I get an adjustable wrench or a wrench set?
What's the ideal handle length? 8in?
Will the chink shit on amazon suffice or should I get something name brand?
Thanks
>>
Is there a physically resetting switch for a power off situation or triggerable by another switch?

I want like an anticircuit breaker design, where removing power flips the switch to off, and I can have it on physically

I know how to do it via relays and software, but that doesnt change the physical state of the switch which is what I am looking for
>>
File: 1603321990973.png (324 KB, 650x594)
324 KB
324 KB PNG
>>2254979
>>2254987
>>2254989
>>2254992
based schizo /diy/er
>>
>>2255102
Help me cut this thing man, don't call me schizo ok maybe
>>
>>2255077
Look up No Volt Release switches, they sell them in neat little packages made to slap onto a basic power tool.
Its just a coil and 2 momentary switches.
Push the green, it engages the coil, power stays on till interrupted.
Push red to interrupt, or a power failure that would interrupt.
Upon power being reintroduced the tool would stay OFF, as you need to push the green momentary button to actually energize the coil, not just have power present.

If you need more, or want to wire it up manually and want a lot more flexibility, buy a contactor.
You can wire it up to do the same function using a momentary switch, relay or what have you

Here is a good read about contactors
https://realpars.com/contactor/
>>
Do C5/C6 or C7/C8 couplers exist in a female socket variant?
Wikipedia says they are called A/B and C/D couplers but I need one where the female part is a socket. Can’t find any using the expected search term. Pic related is a male socket, I need female.

>>2255070
Wrench set. No one size fits all here, which is why bigger wrenches have longer handles. Adjustable wrenches are bad for most situations since you’ll hardly ever adjust it to the exact right size. Ring wrenches are safer (for you, and for the bolt/nut) than spanners
>>
>>2254992
If you've got a hammer and can find a chisel of any sort, something to wedge into your cut and slam to widen it, that might be speed you along.

What fire, anon?
>>
Remember FCAW machines pass current to the wire at the tip, not through the length. If you use very short lengths with a convenient holder it could work.

I weld and repair welding machines. I'd use a pair of locking needle nose pliers connected however you wish to test, or some other way of running a very short length of FCAW wire so you can use it before a longer length would overheat.

Give it a try and play around.
>>
>>2254940
Early stick weld electrodes did not have flux. However FCAW passes current through the gun tip not the base which permits consumption of the filler metal without overheating preceding filler (as it would if current passed through say the wire roll hub).
>>
>>2255147
Building is vulnerable to a fire, I have reason enough to believe it's going to happen soon, all my complaints have been ignored, central room would be a no go zone, therefore I'd die. Sooo the other choice is do this and prepare it, then I could push the iron bar and leave. Is thia possible? Moving the bar or ahould I make a full cut on one side and a weak one in another?
>>
>>2254990
Outsource the laser cutting like machine shops do. The wise machinist knows what not to do himself because it's not a profitable or wise use of time which can be better used elsewhere.

Best to visit your local machine shop to see who they use and check horology forums of course.
>>
>>2255070
Real combination wrenches over adjustable all day every day.
With that said, I would probably focus on getting a socket set over a wrench set first.

The main reason you want a real set of combination wrenches vs adjustable is size restraints. Each wrench is sized accordingly to its fastener size.
Look at a 3/8 wrench compared to say an 8 or 10 inch adjustable wrench, they are HUGE in comparison.
If in the real world you are using a 3/8 wrench, there is a very real possibility that an adjustable wrench is too long, too fat or bulky to even fit in the space.

Buy as large of a set as you can get, being in the middle of a project and realizing you have to go to the store sucks. And they charge HIGHWAY ROBBERY prices for individual wrenches.
Having a few adjustable in the odd case you dont have the right size is what they are for.

Follow on SlickDeals, Its coming to be christmas time, so ~$100 tool sets are coming

Things ive seen just recently on Slickdeals
https://slickdeals.net/f/15398488-164-pc-steelhead-mechanics-tool-set-56-99-free-shipping
This is a private label, but its made in Taiwan and dirt cheap, itll probably do you fine. Actually great selection of sockets.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15387307-ace-has-49-99-gearwrench-12-point-metric-and-sae-ratcheting-combination-wrench-set-20-pc

Of course the recurring $50 20 piece gearwrench set that literally everyone has because its a great deal.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15406060-dewalt-mechanics-tools-kit-and-socket-set-142-piece-1-4-3-8-drive-mm-sae-dwmt73802-86-95-at-amazon
This isnt the best Dewalt set ive seen, but its also about 20 bucks cheaper than the yearly Costco one (id keep an eye out for that one though)

https://slickdeals.net/f/15386626-216-piece-craftsman-versastack-mechanic-s-tool-set-metric-sae-100-at-ace-hardware-free-curbside-pickup
Chink, shittier than taiwan dewalts. But its an interesting box and selection.

Just keep a look out, more deals will be coming.
>>
>>2254979
Get an angle grinder (6" greatly preferred for the thin kerf large cutting discs) and a cutting disc will make short work of the task. Buy a flap disc (about 60 grit) to grind the cutoff areas smooth so they won't snag during your escape.
>>
>>2254992
You won't be able to bend the bar out of the way. Cut it all out then blend the cuts then epoxy it all back together for easy removal/
>>
>>2255163
Oh, and as for buying adjustable wrenches in 2021
They all kind of suck dick until you spend big money on them.
So just buy some middling priced ones off the shelf at your favorite big box store.

I know it sounds like sacrilege, but the walmart brand HART sells some pretty nice looking and feeling adjustable wrenches, and they are made in taiwan.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/HART-8-inch-Pro-Adjustable-Wrench-Chrome-Vanadium-Steel/795501495
>>
>>2255170
Cool, sp I have to use the hacksaw for both sides and maybe the hammer and other thing,ok, thanks
>>
>>2255168
I don't have cash.
>>
>>2255181
use credit
>>
>>2255182
I can't. I only have a hacksaw and a hammer, and the so called chisel, that's my backup. that's how I kill murdered 2. murdered 1, that's a trickier nut.
>>
>>2255183
Post a timestamped pic of your photo ID, with everything but your address blocked out, and ill amazon order you an angle grinder
>>
>>2255184
I'm not american, I'm not doxxing myself like that.
>>
File: Air_Assist_2.png (84 KB, 628x472)
84 KB
84 KB PNG
I need to make pic related and I'll probably have to use wood, it's for a laser cutter.
The inside shape matters more so I'll be using a rectangle block and series of different sized drills to make the cone shape for the laserbeam to pass through. Main issue is the side valve, not sure how to get that part to work perfectly or if this design even forces the air straight down.
>>
>>2254979
Nonono, no puedes robarlo.
>>
>>2255193
Fuck you, I'm a slav.
It's my room, I have to escape the fire hazard.
>>
>>2255196
Bopoвaть - плoхo.
Kradzież jest zła.
>>
>>2255162
There is allot of laser cutting work
>>
>>2255235
So? Allot it to a machine shop, that's what they're for.
>>
>>2254683
>>2254674
if cut a bunch of flux core and twist it, can i replace a stick...
>>
Anyone have experience with air purifiers/cleaners?
I am almost certain the stale smell in my apartment is from a stain in the carpet of the livingroom that the previous tenant had left.
I'm thinking there might be mold on the mat under it.
Thing is, there really isn't any way to prove this to my knowledge, and when i did complain, all they did was come by with a carpet cleaner machine.
I only have to stay here a year but MAN, it really hits your nose when you walk in.

Thanks
>>
Question to the anons versed in wood and woodworking:
I've been gifted a beautiful, hand-carved wooden staff made out of a hazel branch. I would like to give it some use beyond decoration, but the wood is untreated and don't want it to spoil.

What oil or treatment should I give it to protect it from the elements and from wear/weathering as much as possible? Preferably something natural/mate that doesn't have a plastic-like glow to it. Thanks!
>>
>>2255188
Do you have a laser cutter available already? For a one off complicated shape like this I’d unironically recommend 3D printing or getting it printed. If that’s not an option and you have a laser cutter, maybe divide the shape in slices and cut from some thin wood.
>>
>>2255151
Cut them all then epoxy back in place after smoothing the cuts so you don't snag on the way out. Then you can easily break the bars free as a unit or in pieces (your call where to cut) in an emergency. Ensure your window access is clear and if you need to make climbing easier do that, too by suitable furniture placement.
An angle grinder with cutting discs and a flap disc (60 grit will do, Cubitron are based and every DIYer needs a grinder, Harbor Freight is good enough if poor).
>>
>>2255188

i 3d printed one of these for my k40 and it works great

get one off shapeways
>>
>>2255274
tung oil would be fine, and leave a pretty natural finish. The trick to any oil is to wipe it on thick to get in all the crevices, then wipe it off with a clean rag and let it dry, then do a bunch of thin coats (again, just wipe it on with a rag and let it dry), until it's as built up as you'd like. many little coats are beautiful. A few heavy coats looks like you dipped it in glue.

If you want to actually use it as a tool or walking stick, there's an old finnish oil that's 1 part pine tar, 1 part turps, 1 part BLO. It's not perfectly clear because of the pine tar, but if it gets wet, it gets grippier, instead of getting slick.
>>
>>2254989
If the blade isn't cutting, the teeth probably are dulled. Swap it for a new blade and then keep going. Alternatively, get an angle grinder like the other guy said and it'll go REAL quick.
>>
>>2255151
Are you on the first floor? If not, your next move needs to be to get either a cable ladder or a rappelling setup that you can place or clip onto and use to get to the ground.
>>
>>2255297
I have the laser but I don't have a hard material it can cut all the way through without air assist. It's only 4.5w.

>>2255320
I'm sick of waiting for things to ship. Does the air actually shoot straight down? How strong is the air supply?
>>
>>2255324
Got some tung oil around, so I think I'll go with that. Thanks, fren
>>
>>2254979
Rent a an electric saw retard
>>
>>2255251
I bought my first house, its smaller and on a slab.
When people burn leaves outside, my house just smells like a bonfire.
This was never the case in any other house ive ever lived in.

Regardless I bought 2 WINIX air purifyer/filters at Costco, they routinely go on sale for $100
They will turn red and go on high speed when it senses burning leaves, and it clears the smell out pretty fast.
It also has negative ionizing which is supposed to burn up smells in the air.
Not sure how well it works or not as ive not tried to mask any lingering smell, just dont have them at my house.

It may be placebo, but it does make the air seem nicer and "cleaner" in a sense.
Dunno, regardless it clears out the smoke smell way quicker than just letting it linger.
>>
File: 3959541.jpg (15 KB, 456x456)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
Is using an oiler like pic related good for filling up differentials or is it mostly designed for more general purpose stuff like drilling
>>
Don’t really need the answer to this question but it’s been bugging me for a while and I can’t find the answer anywhere.

Say I have a doubly insulated ungrounded single phase AC device. It takes a line and a neutral input. If I were to switch line and neutral, could the device ever ‘know’ that they are switched? Since the only reference it has for line is neutral (and vice versa), and the difference between the two remains the same. I think there should be some way it can be electrically determined (eg because some ac motors always run clockwise) but I’m not sure
>>
>>2255822
It would work fine to top off a differential after youve roughly filled it most of the way up with a funnel.
It works fine for general oiling too, or filling oil cups/oil ports on machines.
>>
>>2255833
alright so yeah not what im looking for, my rear diff is hard to reach so i need to pump all of it, i thought an oiler would be a sleek way of doing that
>>
>>2255837
It would work ok, but it would just take a long time.
They dont push the volume youd really want for moving ~3qts of oil.

I use machine way oil which is thick and goopy in my oilers, and it pushes it fine, so the viscosity of gear oil would not physically be a problem.
>>
>>2255837
https://www.amazon.com/Arcan-Suction-Gun-Transparent-Body/dp/B07Z1CN3R5/
>>
does anyone have experience with using things from CD disk drives? i want to learn about them

did you get/do anything with the motors, lasers, or other parts from this hardware?
>>
i love the smell of cool steel on a morning... heh
>>
>>2254992
are you thar god damn laser scizo again

please make a tripn
>>
>>2254979
Quit squatting and get a fucking job
>>
>>2254841
you should always expect to pay $1000 for any specialty trade and $500 for small plumbing/electrical/HVAC calls

DIY is cool but think about how much you make (total with benefits and insurance), then add in vehicle and tool depreciation and that's what they need to charge
>>
>>2254793
If you're applying it, you'll have to use filler to smooth it anyway
If you're molding it, it won't be seen
Strength wise, fiberglass is usually wayyyy stronger than people need

I put mat, cloth and gel coat applied to 1/4" mdf that's supported every 24" and can walk on any part of it at 300freedom units

Unless you're building a bridge, it'll be fine
>>
>>2255829
Depends on the appliance

I wouldn't risk it as I assume you're poor and can't afford to replace it if you break it
>>
File: 4242.jpg (1.47 MB, 1644x1839)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
HELP what is this (presumably) AC plug I can't find anything about it online ;-; it's on a Sony TC-95 tape recorder
>>
>>2256067
I believe it was simply referred to as a 'Sony 4-pin AC power cord', although with "Vintage" as a prefix these days.
Its a proprietary Sony plug that was used on their portable electronics like tape recorders, shortwaves and small TVs in the 60s and early 70s. Not quite sure but I think they were specific to models destined for the North American market.
The cord has been out of production since like the 80s and is to my knowledge pretty rare.
>>
>>2255638
I'll check it out. Hopefully I can find one on Black Friday, thanks friendo.
>>
Should i build an airplane in my apartment?
It will be the size of a Cricri but with folding tails and wings.
>>
I'm soldering various non-plumbing shit from copper pipe...
What can I use to remove fucking flux from inside the pipes? Burn flux smells outright horrible. I tried running fuckton of water through, but it takes waaay too much time and water.
Or do I consider other flux for soldering? Like idk, something rosin-based for electronics which isn't as horrible.
>>
>>2256231
Hm rosin-alcohol flux works.
Good to know.
Though shit is not that great. I think it would be better if I add normal zinc chloride to rosin and it would solder better.
>>
>>2256167
Probably. Make sure your neighbors are cool with flight tests off the balcony.
>>
>>2256167
yes, obv, make a video
>>
> Medical Billing

Have any of you gotten sick and needed to do medical billing adjustments?

>Anyone go about hiring an attorney, or zeroth order steps to claw my money away from the medical system?
>>
>>2256324
>attorney
How much are you trying to cut off the bill? I have heard of people talking straight to the billing department of the hospital and often times they’re willing to settle at ~70% instead of sending you collection notices for the next 12 years
>>
>>2256324
In my experience, with my hospital
Let it go to "collections" (hospitals literally employ their own "collections" company)
Then you tell them you cant afford it, they will knock off a lot of the bill and put you on monthly payments.

Or just never pay it at all, because they ever actually go after people.
It can eventually go onto your credit score, but when applying for a credit card or a loan or whatever, they dont actually take "medical debt" into account.
At least thats what they told me when I bought my house while having 15k of outstanding "medical debt", they didnt apply that towards my debt to income ratio and approved me.

Also I know someone who got into a serious car wreck, over $100k in medical debt
Talked to the "charity" at the hospital and they waived it all.
Throw a sob story, throw a fit, just be a nuisance and youll get the bill brought down.

Medical billing is made to deal with insurance companies, not the everyday joe, so they are quite lenient to everyday joes when you talk to the billing department.
Insurance companies refuse to pay out for a large portion of work done for doctors, so doctors in turn have to play monopoly money and jack the prices of literally everything by 1000%
When the insurance does pay for ~40% of work/drugs/treatment that was done, the inflated charges cover the hospital and doctors actual costs.
Its all a big fucking game
>>
File: file.png (8 KB, 163x49)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
What the fuck is behind my drywall in my kitchen? I tried to drill something thinking it was a stud but I can't get 1-2mm below the surface. Is it metal or something?
>>
>>2256367
It could be steel stud. They are 0.5-1.2 mm sheet metal studs. You use metal stud screw for that one.
But it also could be a plate that protects pipe or wire.
>>
>>2256388
It's a townhouse and it's the area between houses and close to the ceiling, but yeah could be. I just shifted the shelves because I didn't want to electrocute myself
>>
>>2256390
wires arent ran flush to drywall lol, and if they were they would have a lot of give

get a really strong magnet and dangle it from a string, if its a metal stud the magnet will want to stick the whole way up the wall and probably every 16" apart
>>
>>2256399
nice
>>
>>2256028
>Depends on the appliance
It’s a Siemens Logo PLC. I’ve been running it normal/switched for months and haven’t noticed any problem. It’s more of a theoretical question to me, is there really a concept of ‘neutral’ and ‘line’ of there’s no ground reference
>>
I broke a large ceramic dish into two pieces and I want to repair it so it could store food again but I'm worried since when I push the two halves together the fracture is just a thin line and I'm wondering whether I'd need to sand the dish a bit in order for there to be more room between the two halves for the glue to go?
Or could I just apply some glue and fix it as is?
Also what's the best glue/epoxy for it to be safe to store food in?
>>
>>2256454
>I broke a large ceramic dish into two pieces and I want to repair it
Impossible.
>>
>>2256329
>nce, with my hospital
>Let it go to "collections" (hospitals literally employ their own "collections" company)
>Then you tell them you cant afford it, they will knock off a lot of the bill and put you on monthly payments.
>Or just never pay it at all, because they ever actually go after people.
>It can eventually go onto your credit score, but when applying for a credit card or a loan or whatever, they dont actually take "medical debt" into account.
>At least thats what they told me when I bought my house while having 15k of outstanding "medical debt", they didnt apply that towards my debt to income ratio and approved me.
>Also I know someone who got into a s
>>2256338
In a metropolitan in the US, what kind of pricetag have you seen?

When is it worth it to forgo credit?
>>
>>2256467
:(
Alright, thanks for the dose of reality anon
>>
File: index.jpg (43 KB, 1080x1080)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>2256454
glue isn't food safe my guy.
if you're rolling in dough you could join the pieces with gold, but that's probably outside of your skillset
>>
>>2255251
You could also try renting an ozone machine. They’re supposed to kill smells, but you can be in there while it’s running.
>>
>>2256474
*can’t!!
>>
File: wiring.png (18 KB, 719x471)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
I just moved into a house built in the 70s and I'm getting the kitchen ready for a complete overhaul. I took out a soffit to make room for some more cabinet space. It was completely empty except for a single 14/2 wire jumping from one stud pocket to another. I'm not completely sure yet what it's powering but I'm pretty confident it's a lighting fixture in the next room and will verify before I do any work.

I just want to make sure I'm not over/under thinking this solution to clear the area to mount new drywall.

This shitty diagram shows the original line labeled 1. The line itself is pretty taut and there isn't enough slack to shift it properly. The post in the top left corner is load bearing and I just don't want to cut into that and the two studs on either side of it.

My solution is to cut the line, move one end into the neighboring stud pocket, join it to a new run of 14/2 in a junction box, then take that new run up through two joist pockets to another junction box at the other end of the original line.

Any thing I'm missing here?
>>
File: 20211120_112446.jpg (215 KB, 1008x567)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
>>2254807
>>2254810
>>2254958
Just reporting back.
My monitor is back from the dead. Thanks again anon and thanks /diy/
>>
>>2256509
Poorly written. Can not help.
>>
>>2254807
Match the capacitance. The voltage rating can be higher, but NOT lower.
>>
>>2254674
Hey lads, my little brother is 17 this year, and for his birthday/Christmas I was thinking of getting him some basic tools that he'll need when he gets out on his own soon. I prefer to get US-made (or at least not chinknesium), so I was looking at Channellock. So far, I'm thinking:
- 6-in-1 screwdriver
- 6 inch slip joint pliers
- 6 and 10 inch adjustable wrench set
What else would be a good idea to throw in there? I was thinking maybe some kind of regular pliers or snips but I'm a little indecisive on it. I'm getting him some other stuff too, this is just a kind of "you'll need these soon" kind of gift. I'm also looking at a tool roll with plenty of space so he can add to his collection as he goes.
tl;dr, if you could only have six tools for general use, what would you choose?

pic unrelated
>>
I’m looking for a ratchet kit but like a small one. Just hex socket 8/10/13/17, doesn’t need to be too long. Important is that it goes in a bag/roll of sorts instead of a hard shell case so that I can throw it in a bag and throw things on top of it. Anyone know a kit like that?
>>
>>2255889
You can make a tattoo gun out of them.
>>
>>2256324
>medical billing adjustments?
Ask them how much if you just pay cash.
>>
I have some ribbon I wish to tie a knot on tightly against a through-hole surface. I have already made a knot on one side, but need to ensure the other side is sufficiently tight (no gap of space) to ensure a tight ribbon grip between the two sides. How can I ensure this?
>>
File: 1635292374917.jpg (53 KB, 800x734)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Would it be odd if I go to a manufacture and asked them to split a pcb and add a RJ45 to connect the two halves.
I'm new to pcb building and simply want to add that to an already existing solution.
>>
>>2256987
Need more information. PCI fabric interlink is probably the better solution.
>>
>>2255070
Buy both.
Get a couple crescent wrenches, I'd recommend channellock brand crescents over OG crescents because the OG jaws are too short and they've got the tolerance of a "ready to settle down" cunt. An 8 inch, 12 inch, and 15 inch aught to cover 90% of what you need. They're nice if you're going out somewhere away from the shop and don't know exactly what you need, or just evaluating something, and don't want to lug around 700lbs of tools, but they call them nutfuckers for a reason, and you're never gonna get them into a tight space like a combination wrench.
>>
File: untitled.jpg (489 KB, 2000x2000)
489 KB
489 KB JPG
>>2255822
The light-duty ones don't work so well with oil thicker than SAE 10, i used to keep SAE 30 in one banging around the shop for stuff, but I kept bending the handles, so I bought a Goldenrod heavy duty.
It'd be shittier than using one of these pumps though, they dispense like 1/16th of an ounce with every pump.
>>
>>2256789
Klein 11-in-1 screwdriver plus the electronics one, I think the small one is like 14-in-1, those would be a better combo than the 6-in-1, especially with all the torx and small electronics.

>>2256807
Pic related is like the only thing I know of without a hard case or some chaeap sockets that fall off a plastic store display packaging.
>>
Posted in the last thread asking best way to fix this. Here's the before.
>>
>>2257080
And after.
>>
>>2257076
Thanks exactly what I was looking for. Its €80 before shipping though, maybe I should just buy a bahco or stanley set and some generic tool roll
>>
>>2257085
add a storm collar to cover the mortar so the water doesn’t just sit there
>>
>>2257308
The crown and mortar are all sloped so I figured it'd shed water on its own, unless I'm missing something.
>>
File: file.png (598 KB, 1080x1080)
598 KB
598 KB PNG
>>2254674
is 6013 welding rod so far behind compared to 7018 in strength? I want to weld DOM pipes to replace rusted frames on my buggy.
>>
>>2257321
it errores away in a short amount of time. i make tons of storm collars specifically for this situation. it will prolong the life of the mortor and help protect against leaks. it’s not necessary, just beneficial.
>>
Is getting a toolbag a good gift? Is the one with a large compartment or one with several small ones better?
>>
>>2257363
>Is getting a toolbag a good gift?
Only if they need or want one.
>>
>>2257323
Honestly, as much as I hate to say it, if you can't figure this one out on your own, you probably shouldn't be doing frame repairs.
Unless it's in a place that isn't gonna kill/maim you if it breaks under load, or you just don't give a shit about that risk.

Another thing to consider, is the tubing thick enough for you to weld stick on it with your ability? Sounds like an FCAW or MIG operation.
>>
Can some mechfag explain to me why the bottom right one is best?
>>
>>2257363
I guess if they need it. Most tools when bought new have a case, so maybe the open one? If they buy a lot of used/loose tools the other one would be better.
>>
I have some 2mm sheet steel I'm making a frame out of and it needs to be low profile, what's the best way to join the corners? Right now I'm thinking I should drill a couple of holes in each piece and pin them together with brass, then file them flat to get 4mm corners.
>>
>>2257443
Could you rivet them to some box section on the inside of the corner?
>>
>>2257447
I don't quite get your meaning. The plates are laying flat on top of each other, if I tried to rivet them to something on the inside corner I'd have 2mm of space to work with.
>>
tl;dr how would you remove a hydrocarbon in the C-19/C-20 range from jute rope without damaging too much the rope?

I bought a spool of jute rope, but it has an intense smell, like gasoline. Can't send it back as I already sectioned the spool I googled: from what I gather it's the smell of "jute batching oil", and following that trail only gives me refinieries selling the product, or a slew of scientific articles about the carcinogenic risk of that particular petroleum fraction, but I can't seem to find anything about removing it from the rope, at least the smell.
>>
File: TIPHw.jpg (32 KB, 360x480)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>2256367
>>
>>2254674
Where would I find some small aluminum discs, maybe an inch in diameter and thin enough to punch through with a staple gun? (Mechanical, not pneumatic)

I need to put staples through some sheets of foil and foam insulation and crimp the ends down like a regular office stapler, but without something behind it the staple would rip clean through when any force is applied to it. A small aluminum disc should give the ends of the staple something to clamp down on and distribute the force around the surrounding material when it's pulled on.
>>
How much would it cost me to cnc a watch case out of stainless steel?
>>
>>2257712
Likely far too much to be reasonable.
>>
>>2257734
Thats what i though :/
Do watch makers use a mold?
>>
>>2257736
They use a bunch of molds and presses and shit. It's all very complex and not remotely worth doing if you aren't making thousands of the things.

I had the same kind of thoughts once upon a time, eventually you just figure it's impossible and you're better off just hunting for a watch you actually like. In my case I pretty much only wear shit made in the 80s and earlier, because that was when a men's watch could be a sensible size like 36mm instead of modern 42mm dinnerplate monstrosities.
>>
>>2254822
Replace
>>
>>2257740
>watch could be a sensible size like 36mm instead of modern 42mm dinnerplate monstrosities.
I can relate
>>
>>2257481
unspool it and leave it in the hot sun for a week or two
>>
>Im reusing LEDs from a TV
>I cut them in 4 LED strips so they get around 12V per strip
>want to also reuse a 12V 1000mA power supply from an old router
I've measured the brightness that I want at 400mA (with the 4 strips) what can I use to limit the current at that target?
>>
>>2257377
6013's psi of 60,000 is still a huge number.
>>
>>2254674
nope
>>
>>2254820
1/4 inch stick out, you are correct it will not work even if he gets voltage/amperage correct there is not enough flux.
>>
>>2257795
fcaw and mig are 60,000 lbs tensile also.
>>
Hello /diy/ I want a good and reliable bandsaw because I recently started forging as a hobby. I want to start small and found multiple bandsaws under $200. Should y’all recommend a harbor freight, ryobi, or porter cable?
>>
>>2254674
Whats a good resource on learning plastering and general wall work? My cellar floor looks terrible and I want to even it out but I have never done anything like that before.
>>
>TL;DR question at the bottom

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003410996109.html

i want to put these titanium hex flange nuts on my bike instead of the steel track nuts with integrated washers to save weight. it's a nonstandard M9 size, the seller said it's the same 15mm wrench size across flats as the M10 nuts. not sure about the flange outer diameter, it could be anywhere from 18mm to 22mm. i was advised to use them with thin steel washers to help even out the clamping surface and to protect my bike frame. they sell M9x15mm, M10x16mm, M10x20mm, M12x18mm thin steel washers in 0.1-0.2-0.5mm thickness. for the M10 nuts in the rear, M10x20mm washers should be fine. for the M9 nuts in the front, i think M9x15mm might be too small, i would rather use M12x18mm but then there's a bit of play against the 9mm axle.

>my actual question
if i put some NLGI 2 silicone grease between the thin washer and the nut flange, do you think the washer will be held up by the nut so that it won't be too fiddly to get the washer into position when it comes to putting the wheel into place and tightening the nut? or do you have any other idea of how to take out the play if i use a 12mm inner diameter washer (especially a super thin one like 0.1mm) on a 9mm threaded axle?
>>
>>2258126
I've got to be honest man, when you're looking at saving a couple of fucking grams, maybe you should be looking elsewhere on the bike.

As for your actual question, why not just find some M9x18 washers elsewhere? You could always grind them down to 0.2mm or so to really squeeze those last few fractions of a gram out before you put a 500ml water bottle on your bike and completely invalidate hundreds of dollars worth of pointless trinkets.
>>
they do look rather thicc if they're showing pics/vids of the actual M9 ones with 15mm wrench size so the flange diameter might be ~21.8mm like the M10 ones

here's another vid
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003410898212.html

i might still prefer 18mm washers over bigger ones since the paint in the fork dropout was masked off with about a 20mm diameter so a 20mm washer would be risky in terms of not fitting quite right or peeling off paint

>>2258138
it's conservatively 30+ grams which is huge on a bike that's already well optimized, and it's a track bike which doesn't have water bottles anyway. and it will cost less than $10 after using coupons. i don't live in burgerstan so i can't easily obtain washers of any random size.
>>
>>2257999
Before choosing a cutting tool, what size and shape stock are you cutting?

Portable bandsaws (which can be used stationary with a simple stand or table) may be far more useful in cutting stock prior to forging and don't eat floor space.

What other cutting tools do you own? If you already own a 6" angle grinder (most versatile size as it takes thin kerf cutting disks, I buy those by the box) for cutting, grinding and polishing then a portaband will serve you well for cutting. Otherwise you can cut with the cutting discs if money is tight and do much more with flap discs and other attachments then pick up a portable bandsaw as a no-dust cutoff tool. (Used Milwaukees are easy to get rollers and tires for. I repaired and maintained a fleet of them and would buy a used Milwaukee if cash was tight. I did since though it wasn't they're so easy to deal with used has been good as new for my use.)

I use a Rigid tristand (buy 'em used for much less money) and my portaband and angle grinders for cutoff and much more.
>>
>>2258037
Watch a youtube video, and try it out. Don't worry about fucking it up if the floor already looks like shit.
>>
ok whatever, i have an assortment of black nylon washers up to M8x16mm, i can expand the hole to 9mm and use that, the nylon is probably gentler on the fork than the steel washer, just gotta keep on eye on it during maintenance if the nylon deteriorates over time from UV/weather exposure
>>
i'm gonna get M10x20x1mm nylon washers for the rear, might try them in the front as well perhaps with kapton tape along the inside edge of the hole to get it to sit more centered on the 9mm axle
>>
I have some 4mm brass rod and I want to peen out the ends, do I just cut a piece twice as long as I need, hammer it a bunch to peen it out, then cut it in half to make 2 pins?
>>
File: 71wD2xPGlcL._AC_SL1200_.jpg (160 KB, 1200x1181)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>2254674
Building a tool collection?

Got a new house (early 1980's) and am making my way through a bathroom rebuild with borrowed tools from a good friend who has just about everything. But doesn't have a wet saw, I need to figure that out soon for the heavy tile work. Thing is they are going to move in a few years, and I would like to do more DIY hobbies now that I have some space. So I should look at building my own set. But so much muddy info on tools makes it hard to pick stuff, and that's not even getting into the "which brand is best?" madness.

The list I made so far is
Screw driver set, both common and computer
propane torch
several hands saws (wood, metal, plastic, ...)
power drill
power saw (circular hand saw?)
hammer and mallet
power orbital sander
file set
heat gun
vice and clamps
calipers
shop vac
wenches and ratchet (I never use them, expect when I suddenly need them)
? Dremel ?
? 3d printer and laser cutter if I go nuts, but really shouldn't get those yet

I prefer quality hand tools with versatility in mind. I like the control I have with hand tools and my projects tend to be small so getting more specialized tools does seem worth the money and space. Given I will need a wet saw for the bathroom, part of me is wondering if I can invest in a nice one to also use for most of my power tool needs like bigger wood cuts and grinding stuff, I mean a fine diamond blade and enough toque would seem to be able to do a lot of things so I can limit the number of tools I get. If I end up doing one thing a lot then I can get a more specialized tool later.

Any advice?
>>
>>2258236
A cheap set of screwdrivers in various sizes will cover 99% of uses, and a small portable L type with interchangeable bits is useful.

A hacksaw with decent blades will cover most of your cutting needs, as well as maybe a pull saw for wood.

Get a cheap cordless drill, mine was like 20 bucks and works fine for 90% of tasks. Then get a heavy duty old hammer drill second hand for next to nothing for the odd time you have to drill for 5 hours straight. Or get a drill press, nothing worse than holes that aren't straight.

You probably won't use a circular hand saw unless you want to mount it to a desk and potentially kill yourself. Consider getting an angle grinder, they're far more useful.

A couple of basic files and decent quality sandpaper will work great for most stuff you want to do, maybe get some chisels too if you're planning on doing a lot with wood.

Buying a wet saw seems silly, can you not just use tiles that don't need one? A basic tile cutter is far cheaper, wet saws don't have that much utility. If you're doing a lot of tile work you could always just rent one for the day.
>>
>>2258250
Thanks! That's my plan for the hand saws and screw drivers. I mean a Walmart starter set lasted me 10 years till it got exposed to some salt water that corroded it to a dramatic death. Other rarely used stuff I just borrowed from a friend. It is reassuring to hear a cheap drill will do. I was always going back and forth with that as I don't do much so a cheap one made sense, but I fear if they breakdown and I keep buying a cheap one every few years it could cost more over all. An angle grinder is not a bad idea as a circular hand saw does seem a bit more dangerous, I'll have to look into that more. A power drill is a must given how often it comes up, I would love a drill press as well but will make do without for space reasons as I think one of those drill guides will be good enough. I use files to solve lots of problems, so nice set is a must. Lot so people bring up chisels, but I don't know what they are for

Actually I might skip power saw/grinder for now. The only time I really need a power saw are for big straight cuts like table saw typically does, but that is a large investment (both money and space) I probably won't use enough. All the other things I can cut by hand well enough so I might just pay the dude at the box store to do those big cuts given how rare they are. The grinding I can do by hand, or hit with power orbital sander when I need to take a lot more off. A grinder seems fun, but I need to hold myself back carefully as I've seen many folks buy a workshop only to let collect dust

I got heavy duty tiles that are going to need a nice wet saw. Renting for the project is ~$300 as I'll likely need it the whole week given how slow I go. Buying a nice one is ~$800. If I can use it as a power table saw ~$250 and make-shift table grinder ~$150 with the blade edge then it is only ~$100 difference in value with I can write off as a gift to myself. But if it only cuts tile then renting would be better, and just skipping buying power tools for now
>>
>>2254674
This is a bit specific. Are there any thin programmable led lights? I want to make a clock that wakes me up in the morning and displays the weather. While a 2d screen with 32x32 pixels would suffice but creating a 3d clock would also be kinda cool. So that way I could produce 3d models of clouds if its cloudy and the sun if the sun is shining etc.
Ideally I could adjust them individually, for example one light in a 3cm wire sticking up from the base, then a 4cm wire for the next one in the same column and so on.
>>
>>2258297
Chisels are great for just general wood shaping, carving out slots and the like. A rasp or file will do many of the same jobs, but take a bit longer.

I'd be surprised if you needed the saw for a whole week, you can't just do all the places that can take full tiles and then get it in for the day to do all the edges?

>>2258309
Lots of bulbs these days use those tiny thin yellow filament LED, I imagine you could bend those into shape. I don't know about programmable though, you'd probably have to build your own circuit to turn them all on and off.

I wonder what a nixie tube would look like with those filaments, probably pretty cool.
>>
File: download.jpg (35 KB, 704x704)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
Is there a steel mesh fine enough that liquid water can't pass through, but hydrogen and oxygen can separately?

I wanted to make a hydrogen torch without a flashback arrestor, so I figured if the hydrogen could pass through the membrane which was also used as the electrode in the circuit, as long as the membrane doesn't melt from the torch, the flame can only go as far back as the membrane.
>>
What’s a good bump cap that they sell at Home Depot? Am non American dropped in Illinois for a job and need a new one. Company pays but not if it’s like $100
>>
>>2257795
Only if your skill level allows you to actually weld that shit
>>
>>2258361
>I wanted to make a hydrogen torch without a flashback arrestor
So you want to make an already pretty dangerous diy project even more dangerous?
>>
>>2258236
>wet saw
Just rent one.
>>
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but i'm interested in getting into leathercraft and wanted to see if someone could show me where to look to get started
>>
>>2258411
No, I wanted to make it simpler. Unless there's somehow a risk of liquid water bursting into flames, the idea is simply to let the fire get as close to the electrodes and water as possible. Instead of using flashbacks and trying to keep a tube with hydrogen in it from accidentally catching fire and melting, it'd use a water hose.
>>
>>2258361
Probably is. Look into shoe waterproofing spray that's also breathable
I assume you'd have to shell out to get something that works properly. Sounds dangerous AF
You should file a patent tho. Could be lucrative
>>
>>2258037
>show me wall help, my floor looks terrible

WTF

Basement floors are concrete, not plaster.
Use vinyl concrete patch and then resurface after 3 days or put down actual flooring
>>
>>2257481
simple green or degreaser if its oil
>>
>>2257418
It doesn't say best, it says preferred.
Its just a different way to machine it. The semicircles are cut out of a thicker body and direct the stress up towards the center. It has to do with machining capabilities, component attachment, application etc etc
>>
>>2257085
you didn't listen.

That mortar is porous and can leak/ will break apart in the future.

I seriously don't understand why DIYers are afraid of using durable, waterproof materials
>>
>>2258446
>Look into shoe waterproofing spray that's also breathable
My understanding was that most waterproofing sprays work by being hydrophobic, creating a thin layer of air between the material and the water, which isn't a great idea when trying to use that same material as an electrode for electrolysis. A hydrophilic metal might work to draw the water to it, assuming the water pressure isn't too much to push through the mesh.

>You should file a patent tho.
Hell no. Everything I've come to learn about the patent system leads me to believe it's basically pointless for everything but use as a historical archive.
>>
>>2255196
VADIM, BLYAT!
>>
>>2256167
probably better off building an auto-gyro
>>
>>2258144
I own a 6 inch grinder I just need a portable table saw because there are more precious cuts and a an angle grinder is to rough
>>
I stripped some bolt holes where the bolts had a specific torque spec. If I drill out and tap to a larger bolt, do I need to adjust the torque spec so that I get the same clamping force?
>>
>>2258540
Thats an interesting question
How critical is your work piece?

I think it really depends on the application, why is there a torque spec in the first place.
Is the spec only there to protect a gasket, so you dont deform and destroy it?
Is the spec more critical, where you are torquing to physically stretch a bolt a certain length?

It just depends.
A 100ftlbs of torque is 100ftlbs of torque on a pan or plate, no matter what size the bolt is.
But if bolt stretch or something similar is engineered in, 100ftlbs on one size bolt vs another is vastly different.
>>
Is it safe to stand in the attic on the 2x4 studs near the bottom where all five boards are held together by the gusset plates like in this photo if you weigh over 200 lbs? I have before but I have wondered if they could give way to someone heavier since it’s basically just sheet metal holding them together. (It’s not a photo I took btw, I don’t have cracked boards like in this photo it just came up on google and was similar to what I’ve worked around before).

>>2258540
Good question although I am not sure about that I have had stripped threads and used a helicoil for them and torqued them to the original torque. Sorry if this isn’t a good response.
>>
>>2258540
Yes.
>>
>>2258549
It's a compressor head for the cheap pancake compressor everyone has
>>
>>2258557
Youll be all good, just torque it to spec and be done with it.
>>
>>2258540
Yes, inversely proportional to the diameter is a pretty good estimate (assuming same material, regulat tapped thread, etc, not helicoil or whatever). So if you go from M6 to M8 you multiply torque by 6/8th to end up with the same axial force.
>>
>>2258566
>>2258567
Awesome, thanks
>>
Might anyone experienced with string/rope knots mind sharing a few recommendations for a specific use case? I have two pieces of lace going through through-holes which I would like to fasten together against a mutual surface. The specific trouble is that most of the knots I've tried tie on each other rather than said mutual surface. I need them to be tight enough to prevent any significant jostling.

I realize I am not the best at verbal descriptors, so I have also drawn a small visual aid. The yellow lines are the lace pieces which are knotted on the top to prevent passing. I need to tie them down to the surface rather than each other for ideal structural security. If anyone has input on this, I would appreciate your guidance.
>>
Working with metallic paint and using painter's tape as a mask. Trying to fill in lettering on some coasters to give them a different coloring after cutting them.
Thing is the metallic paint seems to really stick together and will pull itself out of the whole when I remove the mask. Thinning it leaves less than desirable coloring, though I admit I might be thinning it too much/incorrectly. Any thoughts on how to avoid this?
>>
Let's say I have sheet metal. 0.33 mm galvanized.
Is it possible to stick weld?
I'm pretty sure it is possible, where can I find video of third worlders doing this?
>>
Is it safe to compress car springs using C-clamps? I'm helping a friend but don't feel like getting killed over fixing his vw beetle.
>>
Consider scooter pic related. It is made out of 6061 aluminium and weights about 12 kilos, and frame is 5 kilos.
What would happen if I make similar frame, but out of mild steel?
>>
>>2258833

It would be heavier. I don't know what you were expecting, honestly.
>>
>>2258835
How much heavier though?
>>
>>2258777
If you're filling in lettering, have you considered just painting the whole thing and then using some kind of remover to take off the high spots? That's how most modellers do that kind of stuff, like with panel lines.
>>
>>2258842
1. Look up the density of both 6061 aluminium and mild steel.
2. With the weight of the aluminium and the density, calculate the volume.
3. With the volume (same across both scooters) and the density of mild steel, calculate the weight.
>>
>>2258842
Probably about twice as heavy.
>>
>>2258844
>>2258845
Hmmm, apparently 3 times heavier.
>>
>>2258428
>Unless there's somehow a risk of liquid water bursting into flames
The risk is that your stoichiometric mix of hydrogen and oxygen is gonna fucking explode with you standing right next to it. But if you want to be a retard and risk it, I can't stop you. Go be chlorine to the gene pool, just try not to take anybody else with you when you go.
>>
>>2258810
No. At the very least, use a ratchet strap or something, but the safest and cheapest way to do it would be to go to the parts store and rent a spring compressor. Usually free, you just have to cough up a deposit for it.
>>
>>2258853
You have to remember steel is stronger, so you can get away with thinner or smaller parts.
>>
>>2258894
But is it?
I'm pretty sure high-carbon or molybdenum or whatever steels are, but mild - dunno.
Idk, I should find tap for steering thing first... Because if I can't find it, project is basically impossible.
>>
>>2258810
+1 on the spring compressor, it’s literally free as long as you return it unbroken.

>>2258853
>>2258910
Aluminum needs to be thicker for the same strength, it’s not going to be 3x heavier unless you use overly thick tubing
>>
>>2258843
Thanks for the advice. I saw some videos like that, but I'm staining the wood before I cut the design. Afraid that the remover would affect the stain, so I considered that a nonstarter. I tried sanding it down without a mask but that just ends up grinding the particles into other areas on the wood. The paint won't go through needles thin enough to "inject" the paint into the lines, so that's a no-go as well.
Massive props to people that are good at this "art" thing. Don't know how they deal with this kind of headache.
>>
>>2258914
https://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/6061-T6-Aluminum/ASTM-A36-SS400-S275-Structural-Carbon-Steel
Idk. Sure about high carbon and such, not so sure about mild shit.
>>
>>2258923
Good steel bike frames are made out of 4130 cr-mo steel, look at something like that. Welds much better than aluminum as well for stuff like that, at least that’s the rumor about why they never went aluminum with BMX parts and the 4130 frames and forks and bars have gotten quite light while taking tons of abuse.
>>
>>2258919
Why wouldn't you just do the lettering first, remove the excess paint with appropriate remover, and then stain it? Alternatively, you could thin down the paint enough to get it through the needles and just do more coats.
>>
>>2258882
You don't seem to understand that the whole point of what I'm doing is to set it on fire. The whole point is to start the fire at the electrodes, so that the worst that could happen is the fire would burn faster than the electrolysis could produce hydrogen. Then it's all a matter of auto-igniting the hydrogen again before an excessive amount of it builds-up.
>>
>>2258934
I guess I should have considered that more, but I figured the dark stain would discolor the paint/glitter/particles that make the paint glimmer. I'll give it a shot. Doing multiple coats really diminishes the colors and turns it from the sheen to a very dull a drab color, but I'll keep trying different levels of dilution.
>>
>>2258932
It is pretty hard to come by 4130 cr-mo steel square tube for example. Meanwhile mild steel is sold literally everywhere.
After all, the original thing is made out of 6061 aluminium, so I should be golden with mild steel.
>>
Got an aquarium air pump that reads 3000L/H. How can I check?
>>
>>2256263
There's a chance his next of kin will block its release. We need a livestream.
>>
What type of doorknob should I get? Are privacy doorknobs good? My door locked itself without me locking it when a heavy gust of wind slammed it shut. The doorknob had to be hammered out.
>>
File: 100_6258.jpg (443 KB, 1600x1200)
443 KB
443 KB JPG
sqtddot.
tldr: what kind of glue should I use to stick heavy ceramic tiles to wood?

I have made a "splash guard" for my kitchen sink and stove by putting some ceramic tiles leaning against the wall behind (kind of like in the pic).
This is fine for the sink, it's 90% fine for the stove, something still goes on the wall. I'd like to make it taller so that it covers more area.
Since I can't glue them to the wall (don't ask), I wanted to glue them to a thin mdf panel and lean this panel against the wall just like I'm doing with the single file tiles right now.
What kind of glue can handle heavy thick ceramic+wood(mdf?)?

Thanks.
>>
>>2259236
Sounds like you just want a removable backsplash panel.
If your planning a removable surface for heavy tile with water and high heat (stove?). Then I would just buy some cement board and use some thin-set to tile the tile to the cement board. Just like a regular tile project only you are skipping the securing the board to the wall part. I would use sealer to help keep it clean and probably go with unmodified thin-set as that doesn't have binders that could be water and heat sensitive. (it's been awhile since I looked at thin-set types so double check that part, for such a small thing it probably doesn't matter) Also make sure you take the dust hazard seriously. Plus I might attach a wood frame of some kind if it flexes too much.
>>
>>2259245
tldr: There's no heat or water problem.

Thanks for the reply but I like the tiles and they have been fine for months, I just need to glue them to a wood/mdf board.
The stove uses induction so basically the tiles don't even get warm during the 30 minutes it takes to cook food. I don't splash lots of water from the sink, I've never had water dripping from the tiles so I don't consider this a problem.
>>
>>2259236
Wood glue.
>>
>>2259060
fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and see how long it takes to drain it, then do math
5 gallons is 20L
>>
>>2259261
Since you don't read the help, I'll make it real simple for you punk

cement board + thin-set + tile = Good bonding
wood board + thin-set + tile = decent bonding
wood board + mastic + tile = good enough bonding (cheap and fast answer)

here some mastic, even has a helpful sales video
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-AcrylPro-1-Qt-Ceramic-Tile-Adhesive-ARL4000QT/100000635

I am saying use cement board, thin-set and tile are all ceramic based so they bond well. It can still work with wood, and you could even substitute the thin-set with mastic. But bonding tile to wood with mastic is the cheap and fast way, most people won't notice but from working with people who do this all the time, cement board, thin-set and tile will give a better bond. It really depends on how much effort you want to put in and how durable you need it to be.

If you use wood with thin-set then dampen the wood a little so it doesn't dry out the thin-set too fast. And you can skip the step of attaching the board to the wall since you said that wasn't allowed.
>>
File: white-paintLO.jpg (146 KB, 800x533)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
How do I make this? The paper is available in scihub but I'm too stupid to figure out the ingredients

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2021/Q2/the-whitest-paint-is-here-and-its-the-coolest.-literally..html
>>
>>2254674
Can anyone recommend an easy-to-find book (or other form of media e.g. youtube tutorials) on fireplace & chimney masonry? Been thinking of adding one but am not sure if it's feasible or easier to just get a simple stove instead.

Have this house, Nortern Europe, clay ground, two-storey, with a simple gable roof and a basement. The basement & foundation are concrete, the walls are made out of brick, later insulated with mineral wool and wooden planks from the outside. The ground of outer perimeter of the house is also reinforced by concrete extending one meter outwards, but I'm not sure how deep it goes, at the very least it's half a meter, at best it goes all the way down and is, in fact, a very thick basement wall. So I've been wondering whether it would support a chimney, were I to cut into the insulation and build it against the brick, amidships the house — kind of like pic related (taken from the web). I've no experience with fireplaces: our old place had basic stoves with metal pipes sticking out the side of the house. A fireplace+chimney is a massive thing; considering the density of brick and how tall the chimney would have to be, I reckon it would weigh up to 3t. Not sure such a mass spread around say, 2 m^2 or less, wouldn't cause the concrete pad to eventually crack under its weight. And then there's a myriad of other smaller things like bricklaying teqniques, choosing the materials, heat insulation, moisture insulation, design and so on.
The house already has a water heating system with a pellet furnace in the basement (the exhaust pipe is too far from any potential fireplace/stove placements, so can't reuse that). The reasons for consiering an extra source of heat is to comfy up the large living room and also contingency planning in case a power goes out for a long period (been known to happen). The furnace requires electricity and while there's a generator, it's just not as reliable as a good old woodburner.
>>
File: 1537500117317.jpg (320 KB, 1080x1080)
320 KB
320 KB JPG
If a header tank in your roof/loft slowly drains itself. Would that imply a leak somewhere in your pipes? How would you go about diagnosing that? What if your pipes go under a concrete slab foundation?
>>
wanna build a brick mailbox, got regular bricks and pavers, and use cinderblocks for the interior.

how do I assemble? all I can find in guides is bricking a cinderblock wall.
>>
>>2259364
Very helpful, thanks anon
>>
>>2259334
How do I get the pump to drain it?
>>
I'm in the market for an EMF reader. Do I need to shell out $200 for something reliable or can I get a cheap one at Walmart?
>>
>>2259823
I think anon didn’t read that it’s an air pump.

You could probably get a big container of water, maybe aquarium or bucket, then find yourself a 1L or 2L bottle, get the bottle full of water submerged in the bucket upside down, then get a hose from the air pump and run it down into the 2L bottle. Turn the pump on and time how long it takes the air pump to fill the 2L bottle. Then do the math.

That’s how I would do it. Those ratings are always off on consumer shit
>>
>>2259842
>I think anon didn’t read that it’s an air pump.
yep, missed this part, sorry anon. saw aquarium pump and my brain skipped over "air"
>>
Looking to secure pic related. It looks like the brass locking nuts are what secure it. How do I go about this?
>>
File: PXL_20211125_171953409.jpg (1.95 MB, 3024x4032)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
>>2259933
Forgot pic. It's the underside of a bathroom sink
>>
>>2258361
Steel? no.

What you are describing is a gore-tex membrane.

anyhow get a flashback arrestor or make one, there will be enough hydrogen/oxygen mix ahead of your membrane to blow the whole thing apart.
>>
>>2259946
>gore-tex membrane
What I was referring to was more like Tyvek, but the problem with Tyvek and Gore-Tex is how easy they'd be to burn.

>there will be enough hydrogen/oxygen mix ahead of your membrane to blow the whole thing apart
This is why I'm looking for a membrane that couldn't burn.
>>
File: 1630710730484.jpg (383 KB, 1562x1209)
383 KB
383 KB JPG
Are oilless air compressors finicky about orientation? I want to mount vertically, yes I will install a 1/4 npt bung for a drain on the down place.

captcha 0k pay
>>
File: 20211125_132444.jpg (3.71 MB, 4160x3120)
3.71 MB
3.71 MB JPG
Electrical noob here. Christmas lights don't light up, but they do work as an extension cord. There is continuity through the cord, so I am at a loss here.
>>
File: man-back_1.png (455 KB, 500x900)
455 KB
455 KB PNG
I'm going to make a traction device for my back, because I'm too cheap to buy one. Any suggestions?
>>
>>2259832
If you want it to work you will spend at minimum $200
>>
>>2259960
Buy new ones retard. They are consumable at this point.
>>
>>2260066
Not worth it either way I bought a couple of used ones though I can fab (have welders, lathe and mill). They do nothing much at all for lumbar problems. Get an MRI after a proper neurosurgeon refers you.

Be aware of multiple pain causes and that pain docs manage pain, neurosurgeons do surgery, and if you get an MRI have it done on the most recent MRI machine available after referral by a fucking neurosurgeon! I could write a book on back pain at this point and you really need to study your ass off to be an effective advocate for yourself.

If your back is fucked it's fucked. Be nice to it and do physiotherapy at home (pt is just directed exercise, if not sure visit once to get instructed). It won't fix anything though it may relieve some symptoms briefly.

Now and forever lift and pull and push with appropriate tools, tackle or machinery. The bad back club is huge but you can still lift or move pretty much anything. Disregard at your peril as pain clinics are all overbooked.
>>
>>2260089
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to ignore it and build the thing anyway.
>>
>>2259952
Just hang it by the handle
>>
>>2259647
Pour a slab/footing with an anchor sticking up

Mortar 8x8x8 cinder blocks in a vertical stack in the center and fill the center with concrete

Use brick of your choice around the cinder block, a clay tile for the paper slot, and a mailbox in the middle.

Either arch the top or cap with a cement cap
>>
>>2259404
You could put in a modern fireplace- wood burning or not- wayyyyyy easier with less risk
>>
>>2258803
There's a video on YouTube of a guy stick welding a bodypanel on a black Chevelle

You need your welder set right and do spots slowly
>>
What kind of power rating does a Hilti 22v battery charger have? I want to pick up some cheap Hilti stuff while I’m still in the US but I’m not sure if it’s 230V/50Hz compatible and none of the websites seems to have a clear answer
>>
Is there a good way to dissolve iron without attacking copper or zinc? I've got a brass torch that's attached to a rusted out propane cylinder. I tried putting the tank in a vise and pipe wrenching off the torch, but the tank is just crushing and I'm about to tear the threaded end off altogether. It's not really worth anything to me, but no sense in throwing away a potentially serviceable tool.
>>
>>2259951
>membrane that will hold back hydrogen, literally the slipperiest molecule on the periodic table
Are you rarted?
>>
>>2259952
No, but you'll never be able to drain the tank if the bung isn't at the bottom
>>
>>2260186

Cut off what you can of the propane cylinder (I'm assuming it's one of those little handheld ones?) and soak the rest in a solution of an acid an oxidizer. My chemistry game weak, but I would think vinegar and hydrogen peroxide would work.

This should affect the steel more than the brass, though I have no idea to what degree. After a while, the remnants of the propane bottle should rust out to the point that you can break and pick out what's left of the threaded portion.

That don't work, I'd throw it in the brass scrap bin awaiting the next melt, but that's just me.
>>
>>2259386
Didn’t read the paper but seems to be a nanocomposite paint of BaSO4, you already read that probably. They’re not easy to make, there are some easier processes like spin coating, it looks to me like they made a gel by embedding the barium sulphate in a polymer and spin coated that to get an even surface. To get close you could try to just mix very finely ground barium sulphate into epoxy or polyurethane to get something that resembles their paint. Most paints are just pigment+glue+solvent+preservative+something to make it stick to the surface while drying, so I’d start there
>>
>>2260235
Thank you anon for the ideas
One more thing, how would you test the reflectivity/temperature reduction compared to normal white paint?
I was thinking something in the lines of three thermometers, one bare, one coated in normal paint, one coated in this one, does that make sense?
>>
>>2258142
just train harder dude lmao
>>
>>2260247
That could work but not sure if you’d be measuring the right thing: when using different paints you may not know how thick and opaque they are. Also normal thermometers aren’t very precise. It could work as an experiment but depends a lot on your use case.

Best way I’d say would be to get/borrow a flir somewhere. Then you could test a bunch of different coatings in one go (on the same material) and just pick the most reflective one.
>>
>>2260261
With the flir I'd have to look for the colder surface, right?
>>
>>2260257
imagine being so dirt poor that you seethe about someone spending $10 on improving their enjoyment of their bike
>>
>>2260261
I just read the paper, they used barium sulfate particles in the 250~500nm range, 60% concentration on acrylic paint
Where can I find/make BaSO4 at these sizes? Most vendors near me only sell really thick stuff, at 45 micrometers (45000nm)
>>
>>2260189
Look you retard, do I need to draw you a fucking diagram? The membrane is to hold back the WATER. The hydrogen will go through it.
>>
>>2260311
I think you're the real retard here, considering you're the one trying to blow yourself up with an oxyhydrogen generator
>>
So if i want to make my own air filter for my room all i have to do is buy a filter, some 120-200mm fans and connect them to a 12v PSU and tape them together or make something out cardboard?
>>
>>2260317
Don't be such a little pussy.
>>
>>2260085
Any specific recommendations or at least things I should be considering beyond just the price? I only did a quick search and saw that there are huge variations in price but haven't looked further than that.
>>
>>2260596
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK7sJq2E0bE
>>
>>2260721
So TLDR is yes.
And i can get cheap HEPA and carbon filters.
>>
File: How im barricading.jpg (640 KB, 1500x1125)
640 KB
640 KB JPG
How do laser and laser engravers work?
Are the following posts correct about the way that a 3000mW/450nm engraver would interact with my barricade pic related, in that it would only make it worse? The laser engraver is a class 4 laser
>>>/g/84471491
>>>/g/84471613
>>>/g/84471529
>>>/g/84486003

So in resume, am I in danger? Is he accurate in his assessment?
>>
>>2260862
fuck off with your schizo posting anon, you shitty up every thread isnt going to get you answers
>>
>>2260872
Where could someone tell me the actual truth, I realized that this anon was right about the light passing through the mattress and sending light to all the sides.
>>
What's a good resource to help me settle on a decent backsplash for my kitchen? I've been pondering for months and I can't come up with anything.
>>
File: fragmentsorsomething.png (893 KB, 572x725)
893 KB
893 KB PNG
>>2254723
That's honestly not bad.
Would you trust it for structual work? obviously not, but for fixing some third world farming implement so a village doesn't starve? absolutely
>>
File: mystery tool.jpg (173 KB, 960x1280)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
What the fuck did I just buy? Saw this at a flea market, looked vaguely useful and cost a mere eurodollar so I bought it. Single bevel by the way. Green handle is about uhh.. hand size.
>>
>>2261066
Voegenkrabber, for removing weeds between tiles.
>>
>>2258236
>Any advice?
Go look at slickdeals
>>
>>2260922
Go to tile stores with pictures and have the sales people help you

Don't buy anything there tho, go to Menards
>>
>>2260873
He sounds like he knows enough
I would listen to him unless you find a more knowledgeable individual to help
>>
>>2260140
The chargers aren't compatible but the batteries will work in a euro charger
>>
I'm labouring at a masonry company on a muddy jobsite and my clothes are getting rekt, sleeves and boots coated in cement. dragging mud in the house no matter how careful I am. anybuddy have advice on washing and storing garments?
>>
>>2261159
Hose off at the job site, hose off at home outside
Wear an outer layer and bring a change of clothes
>>
I'm looking to identify a part. I have 80/20 extrusion and I want to build a glass panel. I need to know the name of the plastic that would go into the extrusion that the glass would seat in.
>>
>>2254850
>>2254793
>>2254811
The reason it's woven together is for added integrity and to insure that there's enough backing in the mold. A few frayed strands won't amake any difference. I've made some reinforcements without the netted fibreglass altogether. I just take loose fiberglass strands and mix them in the epoxy. It all depends on what you are doing. Subwoofer case, no problem. Fiberglass boat, a little fraying won't ruin it.
>>
File: crab.jpg (39 KB, 600x600)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
I have a small 800sqft home in Utah and the cold is creeping in. What can I do to keep it warm? When I go to bed the heat is on and its warm, but its so fucking cold in the morning and I cant find where the heat is escaping. I just moved here from the south
>>
>>2261196
Change your programmable thermostat to kick on earlier?
>>
>>2254807
EE here, go for it
>>
>>2261196
In the evening when it's warm inside, walk around to the various exterior facing doors and windows and hold your hand near their edges. If there's an excessively cold spot, you will need to redo the seal. Or tape some towels into the spot.
Recheck that the thermostat is scheduled to come on in the morning. But if the heater's exhaust is not draining properly or the exhaust pipe exit is too low, ice might be forming at the exit, causing blockage, which necessitates the furnace turning off. I've fixed this at times by turning down the humidity inside.
>>
I have an old analog TV [AudioTon CTV-3702] that only inputs antenna. Is there any way to send a digital input from a PC into it?
>>
>>2261297
Hook an old vcr up to it? The usually have a/v maybe s-video....and probably free.
>>
>>2258372
The cheapest OSHA certified one. Literally just ask one of the orange wagies, they know thier shit as along as its their department.
>>
>>2258551
NO! Your house will collapse.
>>
>>2261159
Stock up on cheap washers and dryers on craigslist, youll go through a lot of them.
t. dads a masonary labourer
>>
>>2261297
Get an RF Modulator
>>
>>2261297
There are plenty of VGA to composite video adapters, and then you can get a composite to RF adapter

https://www.amazon.com/CIMPLE-CO-Composite-Converter-Modulator/dp/B06XC9Y3VB

https://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HD1882-Composite-Converter-Monitors/dp/B009OMYHJU/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B009OMYHJU&psc=1
>>
>>2258551
Shouldn't matter at all where you stand. Either it will support your weight or not
>>
>>2261162
This and keep a trash can full of water and detergent to manually wash work clothes (which need only not stink) then hang on clothesline to dry unless winter.
>>
>>2261196
Wear thermal underwear and wool socks. Works in the south too and is quite comfy. Wear slippers or sandals to keep feet off floor. I do all the above.
>>
>>2254674
>cut 20 pieces 16" long
>twist them together
>try it
>>
In Catia, there is a functionality that lets you repeat a feature based on shape input. For example
>You give the template a curved line, a point on it, and the normal line
>The template places a feature that is tangent to the curved line at the point, but still oriented to keep tool parting simple, like a tab for a box
And I used to be able to make these but it's been so long that I've used Catia, I've forgotten the exact name.

Anyway, question is
>What the fuck was that called?
>Do any other CAD packages have it too?
Or should I just go pirate Catia?
>>
How do you drill a hole in a granite rock without cracking it?

I am using a drill press, I got carbide-tipped bits at Home Depot. I am trying to drill a hole 1/8" diameter and about 3 or so inches deep. (if you must know, it's for the stem for a cool natural-rock bowl to smoke from) I have tried this on several pieces of stone and they always split or shatter. I am cooling the bit with water periodically but I don't know how often or how much you should use. I am holding the stone in a vice so I am reasonably sure everything is lined up correctly.

The bit I am using is like pic related.
>>
>>2262001
Get a copper pipe of the size you want and grind a hole through the rock, use flood cooling. They also sell diamond abrasive hole drills for drilling delicate shit.

The drill you posted is designed to be hammered in to a rock to take a chip out, then it spins to evacuate it
>>
>>2254884
>Hourly rates for tree trimmers are $50 an hour.
pablo who doesnt even speak english sure as shit isnt getting paid $50 an hour to trim a tree you retard

>>2254884
>Tree trimming is dangerous
its not, just dont stand under the branch you're cutting

>>2254841
go buy a pole saw and ladder, it'll cost 1/2 what they're charging you and you'll have it for when you have to get it done again in a few years. or just sell it on ebay when you're done
>>
>>2262004
Thanks anon. I have done some research and all the diamond hole bits I can find are not able to go as deep as I need, usually only 1/2 or 1 inch. Is there any bit specialized for drilling a smooth, 1/8" dia, 3 or 4 inch deep hole in granite? I have seen pieces like this before so I know it can be done
>>
>>2262015
Literally a piece of copper pipe. The copper wears down a little but it picks up an abrasive slurry from whatever you are cutting

https://youtu.be/hjN5hLuVtH0
>>
>>2262028
Holy shit, I thought you just meant use the copper as a sort of water collar for cooling and still use the diamond bit to drill. I'll try this but if it actually works I'll eat my hat
>>
File: 1594747722049.png (58 KB, 657x527)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>>2261316
>>2261355
>>2261370
Thank you bros so much :D
>>
>>2262047
Well the manufactured abrasive bit would be better if you wanted to spend the money but they're $20 for even a small one.

You should keep water on both.
>>
File: 1611792366234.jpg (63 KB, 750x1000)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
what's the best way to repair these bits of doorframe and wooden counter where cats have scratched the shit out of them? I'm assuming for the door frame areas it would be: sand, cover in some kinda paste, paint over it. not sure about the plain wood one, other than sand it down and hope it's not noticed. this is a rental so I don't care much beyond making sure they don't rape my security deposit when I move. hopefully these pics work I dunno how to internet very well
>>
File: 1619424628532.jpg (38 KB, 750x1000)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>2262128
2nd pic (door frame on one side where the cats scratch to get out)

and yes I know cats are vermin and they need a scratching post blah blah that's another issue entirely thanks
>>
File: 1636912480690.jpg (41 KB, 750x1000)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>2262129
>>2262128
3rd pic where the cats scratch to get in when the door is closed or when they're being little shits
>>
Just bought my first house last year in a bigger US city. I am a 28 year old dude without much /diy/ experience. What first time homeowner tools should I be looking at? Buy as I need for house problems? I literally only have a hammer and a few smaller basic things like screwdrivers and not toolbox or workbench in my garage...
>>
Has anybody used cerrobend alloy to form tubing?
I bought some off ebay to dick around with, but have don't have any idea what i'm doing and tips would be appreciated
>>
File: 61XJdfNPxfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (62 KB, 1500x1125)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
I'm thinking about messing around with lenses and optical stuff. For example, making a cheap, crappy telescope out of plastic lenses and cardboard or something. However, I don't know where to buy various sized lenses outside of searching for, "plastic lenses" on Amazon or Ebay. Just looking for "Lenses" usually results in eyeglass lenses or camera lenses, which is not what I'm looking for.
>>
>>2262201
You make diy telescopes out of mirrors and usually buy the eyepiece with the lenses in it
>>
File: 1297825622014.jpg (95 KB, 799x600)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
Is there any decent material database that includes electronegativity?
>>
>>2262128
>>2262129
>>2262130
My dogs did the same thing on the backyard door frame. I'm probably going to fill it in with wood filler, then paint. At least, that's what I'm going to do on my white door frame. For that cabinet or whatever that's brown you'll have to probably find a colored wood filler and do some light sanding to make it blend nicely. It doesn't look that deep though, you might be able to just sand it down and re-stain or paint or whatever and it'll look ok.
>>
>>2262296
>>
If you were going to sell an old, 10 foot wooden ladder on NextDoor or Craigslist, how much would you price it at? It's in decent shape, none of my friends/family members could use it. Just don't need it anymore.
>>
>>2262401
What there fuck is the weight rating
>>
>>2262401
$20
>>
File: IMG_20211128_202017818.jpg (3.59 MB, 2320x1736)
3.59 MB
3.59 MB JPG
puppy pissed in the other room and didn't notice for a while since it's an unused spare bedroom. cleaned up the carpet with a shampooer and it seemed to have picked it all up but still smelled once the fragrance faded. shampooed it again with a better soap bbut it still smelled. finally peeled the carpet up and apparently the piss soaked all the way through and even into the padding. is it possible to remove this with steaming or something? replacing the padding is easy, but I'd like to keep the original carpet if possible until I end up redoing the whole house in a few years just to minimize the hassle of replacing it for an unused bedroom.
>>
>>2262495
note that this is a lot better than it first looked, I used the hand tool for my shampooer and it worked (the tank was filling with nasty piss yellow water) but not well enough to get it all and it takes forever.
>>
>>2262495
use an enzyme based cleaner
>>
File: 1588876866598.png (132 KB, 236x310)
132 KB
132 KB PNG
So despite searching a fair fucking bit, is there any guide to what toolbelts would be suitable for welding, if any? I've lost a fair few clippers by putting them down aside and just forgetting about them, but i'd rather not catch on fire -more- while welding.
>>
Is it necessary to paint PVC pipes if they are indoors? Aside from aesthetic reasons.
>>
>>2262639
No.
>>
I have a circuit in my house that randomly stopped working. The breaker isn't tripped and I don't know which one it is anyway

Where do I start in trying to fix this?
>>
>>2262526
any brand recommendations? will it clean all the way through carpet side or do I still have to treat both sides individually?
>>
>>2262684
Get an outlet tester and form a list of all outlets that aren't working. Get a voltmeter and see if you have voltage at the breaker.
>>
Would a 15" wright 24 tooth be an acceptable alternative to a breajer bar? May need an extension occasionally, but i use my 24" breaker bar often enough that a ratcheting one would be nice, but the 1/2 in drive only goes up to 15"
>>
>>2263523
No
>>
>>2263555
What type of force could it stand up to? Obviously at the point where im running a 3' extension and standing on it i would use a regular breaker bar, but msinly looking for a heavy duty ratchet good for normal rusted stuff and hold up to use with a 1' extension
>>
>>2262171
>Buy as I need for house problems?
Yes, or rent them if they're a likely one use item like a tile cutter.
You can get by with basic tools and a ladder for a lot of stuff. If you own a car, look into buying things to fix it or do basic maintenance like oil changes. Look up what tools are required, you may already have them other than a jack, stands and drip pan. Those items will pay for themselves after a couple of oil changes. If you live in a colder climate, buy a creeper. Fuck working on cold concrete on your back.
>>
>>2262266
Before you fix it, buy some raw wood of various types. See if they take to one and stop chewing on the house. Otherwise they're just going to eat whatever product you use to fix that, and die.
>>
>>2262689
I'd recommend asking a property management company worker that does this to apartments and rentals.
A quick search suggests just using straight white vinegar instead of a soap and let it set for a day or so with the vac, and try again if it persists.
>>
>>2263670
I've got an old proto 24t that's seen some real shit. They still make them new, in the usa, for like $40.
>>
What can I use to dig a 2ft wide trench quickly? The trenchers I've seen only go up to 12 inches and from the pictures it looks like the wheels won't be supported on one side if I tried to do it in two passes. I could use an excavator, but that would take a longer than a trencher and I don't need the trench to be more than a couple feet deep.
>>
>>2264127
Rent a ditch witch or a ride on that does 24 inches...
>>
>>2264127
20 Mexicans with shovels from Home Depot

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.