[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: iu.jpg (172 KB, 1000x750)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
What is the cheapest way to DIY myself into home ownership?

Homes are $$ where I'm looking but land can be bought for pretty cheap. Can I buy a piece of land with electricity hookups and just build a steel building for 50k?
>>
>>2252502
the same thing you posted but made with wood beams is cheaper instead of metal frame.
>>
>>2252505
Hmm, what about in terms of longevity/maintenance?
>>
cheapest way to live reasonably well without straight up buying a sawmill and developing timber framing skills is a cordwood house.
>>
File: 1633334537946.jpg (447 KB, 2975x2579)
447 KB
447 KB JPG
>>2252507
Steel is more gooder, but more expensiveyor. You can sometimes find steel bones from a dismantled structure such as in your picture for 2-3x scrap value. The siding and roofing can be purchased for cheep, I would not re-use it or the insulation.

I almost got a 30ksqft of bones for a steel behemoth for $50k in an auction where you put your bid in and cant see what other peoples bids were until it's over, the other guy got it for $55k.

Engineering for these is relatively routine, if you get one that doesn't have the wind or snow loading you need you can just move the pillars closer together and make it pass. You can errect it without a foundation if you do the holes and 3' diameter cardboard tubes filled with cement thing, then you can poor the slab later.

They last forever with minimal maintenance. Just use a little zinc spray if you get rusting on the bottom bits.

I still wish I lived on land with my own granite though. Nothing would be more satisfying than to build my home in a way that it should still be there 2000 years in the future.
>>
File: okappa smash.webm (923 KB, 960x540)
923 KB
923 KB WEBM
>>2252502
LOL this is kinda dumb.

If you wanna 'DIY' your way into a home, then just buy a fixer upper. Home costs are high because labor is scarce, and wood (was?) expensive.
>>
>>2252502
Slab on grade homes built with dimensional lumber are cheapest

If you're trying to go big, pole buildings are cheaper than trying to fuck with middle roof supports
>>
>>2252927
Home costs are high because capital firms are paying 25% higher than individual buyers either hoping to flip them for more to another firm or they intend to rent them out perpetually for Capitalism 2030
>>
>>2252919
>Steel is more gooder
>more gooder

MORE GOODER! LOL HOLY FUCK YOU ARE FUCKING STUPID

MORE GOODER! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA
>>
File: 1636428893116.png (91 KB, 500x500)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
>>2252967
I am gladdness that I bringed you joy.
>>
>>2252502
work your ass off saving up money now. the housing bubble will collapse within 1-2 years and collapse hard. if you have cash you will be able to buy a nice place at a 40-60% discount.
>>
>>2252996
fingers crossed this has been my plan
>>
File: population.png (34 KB, 974x756)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>>2253028
Yeah well, I'm fucked.
>>
Order an unfinished outfitters cabin built to housing spec. They can come in "cabin spec" with shit like 24" o/c framing which is useless so do the housing spec it isn't much more money. Can get a 16'x34' with th upgrades for about $25k.
>>
>>2252996
a 40-60% drop would bring us back to 2008 levels. The day that actual price discovery comes back to the market it will drop 70-90% depending on what area you are in.
>>
>>2253096
The Fed will never take Blackrocks special blank check away. People dreaming of a crash are just that, dreaming
>>
>>2253097
>a crash could never happen!
where have we heard this before lol
>>
File: gooder.jpg (265 KB, 5000x1184)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
>>2252919
>>
File: 1625545099038.png (532 KB, 975x847)
532 KB
532 KB PNG
>>2253148
>>
>>2252502
Unless your time is truly free, single story with crawlspace, preform+concrete everything (floors/walls/roof).

Unless you're an expert framer, playing lego with preform and getting a concrete truck to come in a couple times is going to be infinitely faster. Also instant insulation.
>>
>>2252936
this guy gets it
>>
>>2252919

we need more gooder posters like this anon. 4chan is lacking in the quality department as far as posts and threads
>>
land is the start. If you have land you can build whatever
>>
>>2253565
Only if you live in a homeless camp. If you try to build whatever on your own land you'll get raped by the local government.
>>
>>2253568
It's not that hard to do it correctly if you actually put in a little effort.
>>
>>2253822
>You need these Heckin' AFCI breakers
>No
>WE WILL BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN IF YOU DON'T
Fuck em
>>
File: 1636958929520.jpg (75 KB, 600x400)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>2253823

You fool, those are the inspection breakers, you swap them out later.
>>
>>2253823
What kind of retard builds his own house and doesnt put in AFCI breakers?
>>
Build with cob, wood is overpriced and not as insulating. Wood will also root leading to more maintenance. Cob houses can stand for centuries.

Download the hand sculpted house from libgen and you will be set. Shit is so easy to put up
>>
>>2253830
The kind that thinks spending $55 a breaker instead of $4.99 for the privilege of nuisance tripping is for stupid nigger retards and the cost-benefit analysis of mandating them was bullshit considering their price and the problem them aim to prevent happens approximately 2500 times a year across 140 million buildings over 89% of which had significant basic wiring issues that would have failed a safety test with or without AFCI. Nigger technology.
>>
>>2253840
This reads like an engineering nightmare:

"Unlike a standard circuit breaker detecting overloads and short circuits, an AFCI utilizes advanced electronic technology to “sense” the different arcing conditions. While there are different technologies employed to measure arcs by the various AFCI manufacturers, the end result is the same, detecting parallel arcs (line to line, line to neutral and line to ground) and/or series arcs (arcing in series with one of the conductors).

How does arc fault detection work? In essence, the detection is accomplished by the use of advanced electronic technology to monitor the circuit for the presence of “normal” and “dangerous” arcing conditions. Some equipment in the home, such as a motor driven vacuum cleaner or furnace motor, naturally creates arcs. This is considered to be a normal arcing condition. Another normal arcing condition that can sometimes be seen is when a light switch is turned off and the opening of the contacts creates an arc.

A dangerous arc, as mentioned earlier, occurs for many reasons including damage of the electrical conductor insulation. When arcing occurs, the AFCI analyzes the characteristics of the event and determines if it is a hazardous event. AFCI manufacturers test for the hundreds of possible operating conditions and then program their devices to monitor constantly for the normal and dangerous arcing conditions."
>>
>>2253840
>>2253875
So in other words, you are poor?
>>
>>2253881
>So in other words, you are poor
So in other words, you can't understand what you just read in >>2253875

It's not about the cost, but rather the difficulty in distinguishing between "normal" arcing and dangerous arcing.
>>
>>2253834
Pretty sure cob requires constant constant in most environments and is extremely labor intensive.
It also isn't to code in most places.
>>
>>2252502
Buy some super cheap/shit single family, preferably through an LLC so you have some protection (ask jew lawyers, they do this structuring stuff all day long for their tribesmen). Illegally convert the garage, back patio, living room/extra spare spaces, attic, shed all into bedrooms (or appts) and maybe a bathroom.

Live for free in the basement, or dont and make 3x the mortgage renting to turdworlders that are flooding your country. Use said money to flee to their shitholes where you can live like a king from the cashflow.
>>
>>2252996
>thin 1-2 years and collapse hard. if you have cash you will be able to buy a nice place at a 40-60% discount
pipedream, pedro.
buy a house today, or this year because you WILL be priced out forever if you don't'. It'll be like Japan/China/France.

People are talking about hyperinflation, and or/ a correction.. but we're getting something much worse than the great recession/depression even... we're getting stagnation with high inflation. this is the ultimate form of a perverted capitalist system.
>>
>>2255259
It's a new paradigm, and everybody who doesn't buy, now, will be priced out forever. Anybody who does buy will be rewarded with a lifetime of riches, as their property will continue its 30% yearly price increase.

Renters, and anybody born in a future generation, will not be able to afford a $15,000,000 starter home in 15 years. They will live in tent cities, and Hondas.

This asset bubble is different than all of the others - it will never slow down, or pop. The gains are permanent.
>>
>>2252502
Should be doable in much of the US but expect to pay more over time to upgrade since fifty grand is pocket change these days.

You really need to study enough to become your own subject matter expert which should delight you if you're serious (dreamerfags FOAD). Forget the grandiose shit in your photo and be ruthlessly practical for best results. Ignore dreamerfags and everyone who has never personally erected a steel building because they and their opinions are ignorant cancer. Know and have in print any relevant laws for YOUR location (no others matter).

Become totally focused on practicality, cost control and thoroughly planning the end result in affordable stages and in the most adaptable manner.

Buy as much land as you can manage. It's fine to buy a shitbox house on said land or throw up a shop first then live in that. Millions of troops self included have literal years in temper tents and shipping container structures with no meaningful discomfort.

I would place a forty foot or larger High Cube (I use mine for shops and am no larper) as an initial structure/workshop then live in one end while building whatever I wanted. That gets you what it gets the military and oil patch workers, instant stormproof shelter. You can insulate at leisure and they're easy to cool (my bro installed a mini split but a window AC works fine too). None of this is hard and all is proven. Invent nothing, copy success then succeed.
>>
>>2252502 continued
I had a power pole with outdoor service panel and 240/120 volt outdoor outlets placed so I'd have instant shop power.

Container goes on a railroad tie beneath each end (have some ground clearance to vent humidity, you can stack ties and connect them with rebar thru drilled holes if need be) Drop cords give immediate power for tools and welders. Hammocks are awesome (don't omit an underquilt and do visit hammock forums).

Galvalume trussless structures like Steelmaster are easy to erect and combine with your container using the container as a sidwall or endwall. Industry does this all the time so copy success.
>>
>>2253568
>If you try to build whatever on your own land you'll get raped by the local government.

Depends completely on the SPECIFIC local government so your post is useless. I have ag zoned properties and great latitude for construction because I thought of that first.

Study, plan, learn EVERY law and rule applicable to YOUR situation. Anything not your situation doesn't matter. Never speculate, never guess, never wing it, never be a spontaneous airhead faggot, plan your entire life like a military operation and it's all win.

Never be silly and you can build instead of dream.
>>
>>2255364
>This asset bubble is different than all of the others - it will never slow down, or pop
The main thing that has driven house prices to the highs they've reached in my area in recent years is the historically low mortgage interest rates which make it possible for a person earning 60K a year to get approved for a 250-300K mortgage. Unsurprisingly, in many areas, houses are priced about what the median income family in the area can 'afford' via one of these mortgages at current rates.
If the rates go back up and people can afford less, I expect to see sales slow way down even if prices don't fall quickly.

The last two years of eviction and foreclosure moratoriums combined with people getting fat corona checks from the govt and historically low semi-subsidized mortgage rates have created a very unusual climate in the housing market. Attempting to understand it as a normal part of the normal progression of things may be a folly.
>>
>>2252502
Look at the platting.
See where you can build.
See if their are building restrictions/requirements.
Look at the codes. Many new homes have to be constructed in very specific ways.
Failure to meet codes could lead to serious fines or even building condemnation.
>>
>>2255489
>Look at the platting.
Based advice.
I buy the plat map of any property I'm considering then check the surveyor rods with my metal detector.
>>
>>2255486
In my area (coastal million dollar bullshit land)
Its driven by illegals. Like 4-8 adult income earners in a house either paying a mortgage with all their names onnit in some crazy corporation, or they're just paying a landlord like $3 or $4k a month.
>>
>>2255741
sounds like you are upset with the capitalist economic system... why is that? do you identify as a communist? If the federal government mandated a price control on your costal housing, would that make you feel better?
>>
>>2255741
I've heard of this being described as part of the larger phenomenon called "reverse gentrification"... essentially, this is where everything gets more expensive and the cost of living goes up a lot, but not because the area got nicer and 'gentrified'-- it's just things getting tighter as strange factors cause all the "slack" to get removed from the area.
I come from a historically poor area, and I always thought that the rich places I heard about with their million dollar houses would be decadent beautiful houses up and down every street. Then I came to find that most of them are made more or less the same as average houses from my hometown, with shitty vinyl siding on a lot of them too lol
>>
>>2255907
not that guy, but
We already have a set of laws that governs illegal aliens competing against us in our own nation. If the people responsible for enforcing those laws were doing their jobs, then that particular scenario wouldn't be happening.
I'm not even sure what flavor of retard bait you're trying to offer
>>
>>2255918
sounds to me like you are upset with your government and local officials? These positions are generally filled, especially the top positions by white people.

How is it that these white people are not doing their jobs? they are suppose to be the best genes the human specie has ever produced? and being American also means that freedom, living in the best country in the world, and being white means that no man would ever be corruptible.

yet it seems they are not doing the job necessary for the position. and they continue receiving money both in salary and donations for their campaigns.. hmm... this is very odd and almost impossible to understand since we are the most supreme nation in the world.. in history.

in the end, it seems that the illegal aliens have little to do with these issues.
>>
>>2255907
It's been Republicans that have done the price controls. And Trump did the worst anti 2a rules changes in recent history.

Not that Democrats wouldn't have done so if they could have, but in an adversarial political system when one party that has set itself up as a bulwark against such destructive things slips there is nothing to stop them.
>>
>>2255918
So your saying gas the kikes?
>>
>>2255927
Under cutting of wages.2sj24
>>
>>2255956
I'm sorry, are you really complaining about the free markets invisible hand? The wonders of capitalism.. which makes EVERYONE richer is inherent in it's system. the FREEdom of labor and market prices. Who wouldn't want cheap labor? Anyone against capitalism wouldn't... you are a good American right? you do support capitalism, right?
>>
>>2255960
>Heh mad that the government refuses to enforce existing laws that would prevent the current situation and laughs about it guess your economic system is broken bro
You're not clever.
>>
>>2255968
you are wrong
>>
>>2252968
no you're a derpcat
>>
Pro-tip. Apartments cost less both as initial capital and a tiny fraction for maintenance compared to building a free-standing structure and paying for the land.
It's the cheapest way to home ownership by far and allows you to save money very quickly so you can afford to buy land and build a new structure.
>>
>>2252927
Lumber is cheap again and sop are new homes, which require the most labor. You're a fucking retard.
>>
>>2253096
If housing prices dropped 90% there wouldn't even be organized companies to facilitate the transaction. That's only possible in an utter end of world scenario. Buy now (don't because you're a faggot) or be priced out forever, retard.
>>
What I did was I bought 4 acres, then I bought a shitty mobile home/trailer for $2k, moved it onto the land for $3k, hooked up electrical.

Lived in the shitty trailer for 2 years with my family. Built a 20x20 room attached to it on the back for more living space which only took 3 weeks to do which cost about 16k. Looking back I probably wouldn't have done it. We lived in it while I bought a steel frame building 2nd hand for 5k which took 2 years to find a deal on within my area. Served as a workshop and storage while I built my actual home which I wont be done with for another 2 years most likely.
>>
>>2253890
There shouldn't be any arcing you stupid nigger. Arcing means shit connections.
>>
There's an /o/tist who bought some land in Texas and set up a steel building as a ship and parked a trailer next to it until he could flesh out the interior as a live/work space.
>>
>>2252502
everyone ITT is a complete fucking moron

>PROTIP:
In order to live in a dwelling, in just about any state or country, it has to meet certain codes. Typically it means you need to have walls and a roof, but also running water, electricity, dealing with permits, etc.

Just tapping a well on a plot can cost you $20-30k depending where you live. That doesn't include hooking it up to anything, either. Plots of land may also not have electric poles nearby, which can mean no electricity or phone. These are things you need to know about before you just buy a plot of land. You need to check your local laws, don't check /diy/

>steel building
there's great deals on these buildings but their designs usually aren't meant to be dwellings. You'll have to insulate it, which would add a lot of money. Drop cielings, full framing, etc. You're talking about buying a steel building for $50k, you'll probably need $150-200k to frame, insulate, bring in appliances, getting electric & plumbing to work, adding another $20k or so if you have to tap a well from scratch. Also, if you're going for new-construction on a plot of land, you'll have to deal with the foundation, too.

All in all, you're looking at $300-$400k, depending where you live, probably a year or longer construction time (and you'll be living somewhere else and spending money on rent during that time).

If the question is honestly
>whats the cheapest way to DIY myself into home ownership
the answer is a small building, like a converted shed or a trailer, on a plot of land that already has all the amenities. But it's still not "cheap" and now is not the time to be buying.
>>
File: 1608345122623.gif (957 KB, 500x418)
957 KB
957 KB GIF
>>2252996
>>2253028
>>2253082
unfortunately we'll all be fucked

>1-2 years
hyperinflation. Housing prices skyrocket. Average home price will jump to nearly $1m USD or higher. This price adjustment will happen gradually in the middle of the hyper-inflation period so it won't be super surprising to us when it happens...

>1-3 years after that
stall period. nobody's buying. nobody's even selling because they know nobody's buying. global economies are in the middle of crashing. "normies" will be trading with one another because you won't be able to buy shit. Inflated numbers everywhere will be laughable, but we won't be able to laugh about it 'kuz ISPs will start charging $50k a month for internet so nobody will have internet, phone, etc. This will be the time the preppers shine, the conspiracy theorists are proven right, but everyone suffers (except the rich). Houses will still be absurdly expensive during this time.

>1-5 years after that
rebuilding period. this is when new currency will exist, where things begin to stabilize, companies that birthed during the stall start to become powerhouses, the economy starts to be alive again. THIS is the time you can expect to buy a house at extreme discounts compared to today

>if you are a millennial, you are fucked
Boomers & Gen X already own homes. ZOOMERS will be too young to really be impacted and they'll be hitting the rebuilding period just as they're getting into their adult lives, so they will probably thrive. Millennials, however, are completely fucked. If you don't own a home now, you won't for another 10 years
>>
>>2257500
>Just tapping a well on a plot can cost you $20-30k depending where you live
Or 2-3K, depending on where you live. Believe it or not, there are areas of the USA where construction costs are much lower than others.
>>
>>2252502
Unless you're sucking off the local jews for permits, you can't DIY into a home.
>>
>>2257513
>hyperinflation
There won't be hyperinflation until bank reserves become legal tender (i.e. everyone gets a FedNow account where spendable money gets deposited directly).
What the Fed and the ECB are actually doing is tightening global financial conditions via QE, thinking they're easing. This is increasing the prices of financial assets, but only because the institutional money that was already going to be invested is being driven out of the bond market (because central banks are buying up all the bonds, forcing investors to go elsewhere), but it's not money that's flowing into the economy. People are paying into their 401(k)s and it shows up in the S&P500, but there's not more money. It's just that more of the payments are going into the stock market and less into the bond market, where it wouldn't be as visible.

The skyrocketing of housing prices are due to three factors:
>boomers blocking new construction via zoning bullshit,
>institutional money flowing into housing as a speculative investment
>the availability of mortgages
The first two are relatively obvious, and the third is an instance of more "money" (mortgages) driving up prices. Given that the supply of housing is largely inelastic, you can't give houses to more people by giving them more money; that'll only drive up the price of the houses. Since sellers know that every retard can get a $300K mortgage, the cost of the average house just goes up by $300K.

With demographics collapsing, the housing market will probably bifurcate into high- and low-demand houses: because of a lack of construction in in-demand areas, places with bugmen millennials and zoomers will want to live will remain prohibitively expensive due to the artificially constrained supply, but boomer houses will become unsellable. McMansions, old-style brick houses in some woodland area, etc. are often going bidless even now, i.e. there's 0 buyers, no matter the price.
>>
>>2257500
>now is not the time to be buying.
Now is the perfect time to buy. Interest rates are very low still, and inflation is driving the prices of everything else way up. You hedge inflation by borrowing as much money as you can at the lowest rate. After a few years you can pull money out of your now much more valuable asset to pay for other things like an extra garage/shop, upgrades, etc.
t. bought a nice 15 year old (pre 08 crash when shit was actually built right) McMansion near a lake in a very nice neighborhood this year to out jew the jew in the long run. Going to build a detatched garage/shop in a year or two and don't have to deal with any HOA bs.
>>
Just wait around three years or so for the "vaccine" cloteer retards to start keeling over. Historic discounts on homes, land, materials, etc
>>
>>2257519
Or just the cost of the parts if it's a shallow driven well so several hundred bucks.
>>
>>2257361
Then you'll have it paid off which is magnificent. Wise move when others will work into retirement or never retire.
>>
Neh, wont be a good option, first of all i don't think you can build something like that in a house suburban zone...
Just get a simple design model projected by an architect,not to big, of a wood or bricks house , learn how to read the blueprint and do it yourself as much as government allows you to do it.
Mid Century Modern or Scandinavian/Swedish Modern
>>
Suppose I wanted to build a rural home, large enough to house a family of like 6 to 9 people, well insulated enough to withstand northern winters, and durable enough to last multiple generations.

I figure money wise my best option is brick/concrete block building with wood frame. This would be slightly more expensive than all wood but should give more durability and insulation value. But what I've most seriously looked at is prefabricated concrete, the kind where parts are poured in a factory and assembled on site. It's guaranteed top quality pours, you can build insulation into the concrete itself (immune to moisture and rot), and short of a JDAM it's nigh indestructible with minimal care. Money aside, is this actually the best option to meet the requirements I listed?
>>
>>2260096
Depends on your local cost but precast will last longer than you live, doesn't burn and termites don't eat it.

If your structure can't laugh off a wildfire you're doing it wrong. Modern steel roofing is nearly immortal and embers bounce off. Steel framing is delightful to work with. My bro just had his steel roofed building foamed and now heats it (the space includes his single wide MH and is four times that size to fit his car collection and shop) with a single smallish wood stove.

I've worked in precast and poured concrete military structures and love them. If I get an excuse to buy one (like an insurance check....) I'll pour a footing around my old slab and have at it. Wood is for chairs and camp fires.
>>
>>2260102
In your experience would the performance difference between prefab and poured in place be significant? In my area the cost to contract a prefab job is somewhere like 20k more than most estimates I have for cast in place. As far as my limited knowledge goes the only real difference is the degree of QC from pouring in sterile perfect conditions indoors
>>
>>2260096
I've had homes in the tropics built with cinder blocks. I'd think that with concrete poles as a foundation below the frost line, a cinder block enclosed with an air gap cinder block house would be the best bet to last a long time.
Houses I had were three or four stories tall, so if only one floor is what you're shooting for, I think it would be pretty cheap.
>>
>>2253096
Inflation and population growth alone combats your argument. Also note rising rents, which in history only go down in dying towns and cities.
>>
>>2252919
Today I was talking about investing my new salary into value stores like iron, for lots of shit including a house. I was thinking that I would need like 200kg for security fences, maybe also for structural iron beams.

Good to know that iron can in fact be the most expensive material of a house and that I'm not insane.

My main concern would be the costs of working that metal when compared to just buying mass produced beams. Perhaps I could arrange for the iron to be used as payment to a big provider.
Because sending the metal to a local workshop and paying for them to build a fence and a gate might work, but doing that with large beams sounds unlikely.

Stone seems like a good material, I'll look into that. Ideally it would be the stones they use in local churches. But unfortunately once you cut stone you can't rejoin it like metal, so it cannot be purchased before settling some details about the house like dimensions and perhaps some architectural choices.
>>
>>2254114
holy shit, you are an evil genius. Sell out your country for profit.

I might just do it once and then help regulate jewbnb
>>
>>2260112
Precast tends to be expensive so best to research. It might be prohibitive where you live. Good old cement block and slab works fine (many WWII era US military buildings still in daily use are built of them) and is easy to have done nearly anywhere. Multiple generations means enough humans to afford maintenance so though you might be priced beyond reach for precast you can go slab and block like millions of industrial buildings.
Slab and block can be good for a century and if they can't get their shit together in 100 years senpai isn't worth the investment.
>>
>>2262384
>Today I was talking about investing my new salary into value stores like iron, for lots of shit including a house

You're thinking of STEEL so do some reading and get familiar with what you might want. It will make much more sense to invest in appreciating assets than buying steel without a build plan.

Exception, heavy long I-beams etc as they're always useful. They're best purchased used from building demolition outfits. Own a truck and dual axle car trailer (with plenty of appropriate tiedown equipment) ready for opportunistic purchases. I do and it pays off nicely.

>My main concern would be the costs of working that metal

If you aren't doing the work then don't buy the metal as you'll be wildly unlikely to choose correctly. I suggest taking a welding course to learn structural welding if seriously interested in metal. Knowledge is a profitable use of your time and money and welding changes the way even experienced mechanics relate to metal.
>>
>>2257513
tfw when you're a millennial with a house and land you bought in cash

tfw when you took Dave Ramsey's advice seriously in your early 20's (and you lived like no one else)

tfw when your parents are terrible with money and you break the mold
>>
>>2263049
>tfw you're a zoomer raised on Dave Ramsey making 60k a year in early 20s but it's still nowhere near enough after contributing to retirement accounts
And for every 1% my wages go up, house prices go up another 10%
if I was born 3 year earlier I would be a buttcoin thousandaire and a homeowner, but I had no capital when capital meant something and now nothing will ever be cheap again
>>
>>2263134
That's likely true assuming inflation keeps going (we don't know) but that doesn't mean you should abandon sound money practices because of current realities. I got hit really hard by the 2008/09 financial crisis which happened right as I was getting into the work force. It seemed like things were destined to forever go downhill from there (so what's the point of trying?) but things eventually changed for the better.
>>
>>2255907
The federal government does maintain house price control you absolute dipshit. To all the retards gaping at the mouth. The limit for a traditional low interest home loan is 675k (or round about there). This is maintained by fed subsidized loans. This is why you're noticing crests around that range. Conversely in areas with high money we are seeing the increased earning power driving homes about 100-200k above that (300-600k if in extremely wealthy areas). Right now home loan interest rates for traditional loans are around 2-4% interest. These insanely low rates mean that buying a house asset will be a very safe buy as it is at or sub inflation levels. For those hoping for a collapse, you need to realize that a huge buying streak has occurred during the last two years and now millions have that equity locked in homes. This puts policy makers in a very tough position. If they up rates it could tank most Americans assets. This in turn has resulted in mass exoduses from higher cost areas to lower cost bringing more buying power and raising those markets. To make matters even worse private equity companies have been buying homes at sub 2% interest rates thanks to their capital holdings and the ability to leverage those foe even better loans. Plan your buying around that knowledge. Keep your home purchase below or near that traditional limit. This will give far more protection than those that go for 1 million. But don't be foolish enough to think you can out strategize equity companies who literally make a name handling and facilitating the flow of currency.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.