[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How the actual fuck do I fix this? No, but seriously this is taking such a toll on my time and patience. I need help
>>
File: 1541237586568.jpg (54 KB, 793x786)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>2235451
I even have 3 saws in there with exposed blades an it's fucking up my other tools every time I have to dig out a tool I need
>>
File: OIP (14).jpg (16 KB, 350x350)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>2235451
I like these
Klein 5144. Exterior pockets good.

Actually looks like you should be using a backpack.
>all I want is a backpack with a deployable base so it can stay standing up while I work out of it
>>
>>2235451
>>2235462
Empty the entire bag once and then deliberately organize and designate spots for your shit as you put it back in; with these positions established then have the discipline to put your tools away in the same way after you use them again. As for the saws having a spot for them rather than just thrown in loose should mitigate most of the issue but if it's still a problem craft up some blade guards and store them "sheathed."

>>2235467
>just want a backpack with standing base

So get or make one.
>>
>>2235451
I've never had luck with soft tool bags. Shit falls out of interior and exterior pockets. Some people love 'em though. If I were you I'd get a hard toolbox with different containers or levels to store shit.
>>
>>2235451
buy a proper tool box instead of a bag. also i'm not sure what you're crying about, that isnt that bad.

with that said, i'm surprised MOLLE/PALS webbing hasnt taken off for toolbags
>>
>>2235482
>Empty the entire bag once and then deliberately organize and designate spots for your shit as you put it back in
It's an obvious, but good advise. I will do this

>>2235484
>If I were you I'd get a hard toolbox with different containers or levels to store shit
Any recommendations?

>buy a proper tool box instead of a bag
Do you have any recommendations for a good tool box?

>i'm not sure what you're crying about
I'm not crying faggot
>>
>>2235550
>literally posted crying pepe
That's on you bro
>>
>>2235562
>pepe
how new are you?
>>
>>2235562
ok then. I cried a little bit, but only because my tool bag is such a fucking mess. Sometimes I even cut myself on one of the saws when I try to find the tool I need. It makes my fingers bleed and hurt
>>
>>2235635
why have you never bothered to order a blade guard for your saws? https://www.amazon.com/s?k=knife+blade+guard&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
>>
>>2235641
Because I didn't know about that link. Thanks!
>>
>>2235451
what do you do and how long have you been doing it?

>>2235467
exterior pockets bad, stuff falls out of them too easily. interior pockets good

>>2235485
>buy a proper tool box instead of a bag

oh okay so you have never worked in construction in your life

>i'm surprised MOLLE/PALS webbing hasnt taken off for toolbags

why would it? that stuff is faggot LARP shit that has nothing to do with tools. 99% of the time you just need something to carry your tools in, not some gay quickdraw high speed tactical screwdriver holder or whatever you were imagining here
>>
>>2235451
This is why I purposely got a small one because I always end up overpacking. If I know I need something more, I’ll grab a soft sided bag and load shit in.

There’s so many good multibit screwdrivers as well, not much of a reason to carry 10+ drivers.
>>
>>2235644
Interior pockets bad. Bag collapses and they get caught on all your shit.

This one has a hard body and interior pockets too so whatever, I was stuck with a soft bodied one other only interior pockets for years.
>>
>>2235550
Buy the 3 ridgid boxes, they roll and have a small, medium, and large box.
I keep all of my power tools in the large rolling box, wrenches/ratchets/sockets/other hand tools in the middle box, generally in boxes or in soft canvas zipper bags from Walmart, and in the small box I keep fuses/zip ties/sticky squares/notebooks and other little shit like that, electrical connectors and tape and shit.
Simple as.
>>
>>2235582
how new are you?
>>
File: 1634989302662.jpg (1.51 MB, 4624x3472)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
Use a belt. Keep an assortment of useful shit in a small pouch and hang an impact or drill off it. If i need to, ill bring my bigger bag that has only what id need for what im doing, etiher an install or electrical.
>>
>>
>>2235451
Google and youtube search for "whatevertradeyourin storage", get ideas, read reviews. Pick a storage strategey that benefits you.
If you are gonna keep that rig start by removing everything and thinking about where it should go, utilizing the proper pockets for the proper tools, secondary organizer inserts or canvas pouches.
Organization means money.
>>
>>2235451
If you want to use your own bag, and you want a DIY solution, you can buy/construct some sort of tool wall and integrate it into your existing bag.

>>2236044
I attached a belt pouch onto my own tool bag. It adds capacity, and I can detach it and wear it when the need arises.

>>2235644
>quickdraw high speed tactical screwdriver holder
Imagine how much pussy you could get tho.
>>
Has no one here ever heard of a VETO tool bag?

https://vetopropac.com/
>>
>>2235687
>Interior pockets bad. Bag collapses and they get caught on all your shit.

that's true, they will do that. I use a backpack type where the front and back zips down and there's a central rigid pocket structure that doesn't collapse, and I like it a lot. many of my coworkers have the large open topped soft bag with rigid inserts type and their shit is constantly collapsing
>>
File: 20210821_121533.jpg (89 KB, 1024x683)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>
>>2236931
that's exactly what I have, they're great. I have the backpack
>>
>>2236945
this kind of bag is such trash and you will grow to hate it guaranteed, I have seen so many guys with these (because they're cheap) and they inevitably get rid of them because of how frustrating they are
>>
>>2236931

hundreds of dollars for a bag?
>>
File: 917j3NSt9tL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (275 KB, 1076x1500)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
i have one of these
>>
>>2236956
if you actually worked for a living you would understand why someone would pay hundreds of dollars for a tool bag. since you don't work I can understand your anxiety about it, a $300 bag would cut into your tendie and weed fund pretty seriously
>>
>>2236945
>>2236951
Looks like a Facom probag but rebranded?

I had one of these as electricians and loved it.
>>
>>2237026
>purchases 300 dollar bag, like a woman
>would sooner personally attack me for thinking it's dumb, like a woman
>cannot justify his frivolous purchase logically, like a woman
>>
>>2237049
some little faggot on the internet calling me a woman for having a fatter paycheck than him doesn't offend me that much
>>
some guys just have the organizing gene. (you know the type, clean, neat garage, evrything in its place, fixated about their lawns etc. I wish I was that guy...I lose or misplace place so many tools, I just end up buying 3,4,5 of everything. I have a tendency to just leave them where I was working. I've lost so many craftsman sockets... jesus wtf is wrong with me? Can you train yourself to be organized?
And now its impossible to find open stock craftsman sockets...
>>
>>2237049
>like a woman
Does he have 12 of them and only use them for 3 months?
>>
>>2237026
Serious question. I am a DIYer so I don't know.
Durability wise do the more expensive bags etc. pay for themselves in the long run? Do they actually last for decades or simply last a year longer than the cheaper bags?
>>
>>2237117
pricey bags tend to be better designed, so you spend less time fighting with the bag and organizing it and more time just using it. they also tend to be more comfortable to carry around (better handles, straps, some are backpacks, some have wheels, etc). if you're hauling around tools and pulling them out and putting them back into a bag every day at work you're going to appreciate the time-saving and energy-saving features of a good bag. if you're only taking your tools out every other weekend it doesn't matter what you put them in, but somebody who uses a bag 40+ hours a week will quickly develop preferences and desires about bags that only the expensive bags are designed to fulfill
>>
>>2236956
Nothing is stopping you from buying a crappy $30 bag every couple of years and getting frustrated when your shit doesn't stay organized and you forget tools at the job site every so often because you didn't notice it wasn't in your jumble of tools.

>>2237112
Get some socket rails. Now you'll notice when you don't have one because there's an empty spot where a socket should be.
>>
>>2236945
>>2237042
I love these bags. I used one when I worked as an electrician. I don't get why people hate them. At least in my work you need different tools all the time and this kind of bag enables you to get it fast and easy
>>
>>2237112
>can you train yourself to be organized

Be (or pretend to be) poor and unable or at least unwilling to replace tools lost to incompetence/negligence rather than consumed through use/abuse/modification. It also helps if you're mildly autistic and stressed by debris/clutter and prefer a more convenient status quo over digging around for stuff or tripping over things just trying to cross a room. Without an underlying -compulsion- to stay organized it really just boils down to personal discipline adhering to your -choice-.
>>
>>2237112
First step is knowing you have a problem.
>>2237775 has a point. Losing things costs time and time is money. Are you rich? So rich you can own multiple tools? If so continue on we all look forward to your estate sale. If you are not rich this is helping you get poorer.
>>
From time to time I work with other guys who have these
>>2236931
They are very well built and they all say they like them.

But I use one of these
>>2236945
and as another anon stated they allow you to access your tools quickly and in a very organized manner.
My bag weighs around 55lbs and if I have to tote it far from the truck I use a heavy duty collapsible hand dolly and just simply wheel it to wherever.
I also have a collapsible tool cart and I simply put the tool bag on the bottom shelf and use the top for a work space and to temp place whatever tools I'm using.
Extremely efficient.
>>
>>2237042
>Looks like a Facom probag but rebranded?

Possible. I actually have the Mac Tools one. Bought my first one around 18 years ago (oldfag) and replaced it probably 5 years ago so I don't know who's design it is, but I like it.
>>
>>2237112
I don’t think it’s that. For me, it’s one of those things where I’ll let it go a little bit and it becomes a clusterfuck real fast. I just have to stay on top of it and make sure I put shit back where it belongs after a project. Take that extra 5min to clean up right and it will prevent a giant mess.
>>
>>2237112
>some guys just have the organizing gene. (you know the type, clean, neat garage, evrything in its place, fixated about their lawns etc.

You know what else those guys have? It's a junk drawer or two filled with so much crap they don't even know where it came from.
I should know. I'm one of those guys that when it comes to how my work van, storage building, and all my tools are organized, I am on it. I wasn't always, but i finally got tired of all the time I was wasting and did something about it.
But for other things, fuck-it does happen.
You can do this. I did.
>>
>>2236945
>>2237042
>>2237679
>>2238088
>>2238091

Mac Tools and Facom appear to be owned by the same parent company (Stanley).
>>
Is 20 bags too many?
>>
>>2236044
>hazet 810BH bit holder
>knipex plierswrench
>vessel bit holder
a man of taste, I see
>>
>>2235451
boy im glad not to be a handyman, all this random shit seems like a pain in the ass to organize. good luck lmao
>>
>>2237117
Yes, absolutely. I’ve had this Veto for about 12 years now. I have exclusively used it for my plumbing tools, and I have never babied it aside from a semi-annual clean out. In fact, I’ve probably mistreated it, but I believe in function over form and don’t care about cosmetics. Aside from a busted zipper handle on an unused pocket, it still performs exactly as it did on the day I bought it. I had been through probably 3 $50 bags in only 3 years by time I bought it, so yeah. It’s well worth the investment.
>>
anyone in need of good metal toolboxes, im gonna shill for toyo steel https://www.toyosteel.jp/en/
they're more on the smaller size though. if you go on amazon you'll find these under the Trusco brand, toyo is the oem manufacturer
>>
>>2235451
I have every type of pouch, bag, organizer that you can imagine. I just use 5gallon buckets. Keep your tools in the organizer, pick what you need for your job and put it into the pails. The trick is to return everything to its place when you're done.
>>
>>2235451
You're fretting over the smallest bag of tools i've seen, you've got it easy

Try being something like a kitchen installer, where's you carry 2 big boxes of handtools, plumbing tools, electrical tools, mirtre saws, routers, jigs, planes, cordlesses, core drills, cordless drill, jigsaws, mains drills, laminate trimmers, biscuit jointers and 1001 other bits and pieces and each day they all have to be taken out the van and tidied away EVERY SINGLE DAY.
>>
>>2242186
If you drag all that in every day and take it back out every day you either have a crew of 4+ or you are a disorganized moron.
>>
>>2235451
add more dirt, like anon here
>>2241990
maybe a little burst can of expanding foam mess to finish the look
>>
>>2242196
>if you have a job you're shit

typical /diy/
>>
>>2242186
>tidied
any tradesman worth his salt knows you just yeet them in there from 3 yards away at home time. the more expensive and heavier the better
>>
>>2242196
it's all taken out at the start of the job every few days depending on the size of the job, then tidied away each day (not put back in the van) because we're working in houses where people are living, it's called being professional, we're also a two-man team
>>
>>2242196
Maybe he works in a nigger infested zone and doesn't want his shit stolen.
>>
>>2242186
Kitchen installer here. I once had 7 various bags and pouches to keep organized for every job I went to during the day. Sometimes 3 jobs a day, unpacking and packing up all of those fucking pouches.

I went to HD and bought their Husky rolling bins and the additional screw organizer. Changed my fucking life and that is not an exaggeration.
>>
>>2242186
>Try being something like a kitchen installer, where's you carry 2 big boxes of handtools, plumbing tools, electrical tools, mirtre saws, routers, jigs, planes, cordlesses, core drills, cordless drill, jigsaws, mains drills, laminate trimmers, biscuit jointers and 1001 other bits and pieces and each day they all have to be taken out the van and tidied away EVERY SINGLE DAY.

If you're going to be at the same job for more than a few days and know the other subs then just leave your shit there
>>
>>2242196
>If you drag all that in every day and take it back out every day you either have a crew of 4+ or you are a disorganized moron.

You load it up on one of these
>>
>>2235462
Why don't you just take the saw blades out the tool you jerk. I hate destroying my tools. I have to big old tote boxes full of tools. One of them only has power tools, the other has everything else.
>>
>>2235727
This.
>>
>>2237026
No man, people who work for a living spend $50-$100 for a bag.
>>
>>2242222
>maybe a little burst can of expanding foam mess to finish the look
Kek
>>
>>2237112
Stop being fixated on brand so much. You can reliably find a chink shit knock off of everything online. Also being organized nets you money, if you like to save cash.
>>
>>2243268
>If you're going to be at the same job for more than a few days and know the other subs then just leave your shit there

You do but it all still has to be tidied away at the end of each day, like was said you're working in living dwellings, it's called avoiding lawsuits and being professional
>>
>>2242945
>Kitchen installer here. I once had 7 various bags and pouches to keep organized for every job I went to during the day. Sometimes 3 jobs a day, unpacking and packing up all of those fucking pouches.
Yeah it's insane the range of tools a kitchen installer needs, then in comes the tiler with his tile-cutter under his arm
>>
>>2237112
Put it back in the same spot Everytime no matter what.
Start with a bucket or Walmart shelves.
>>
>>2243286
this I spent $100 on 10 bags
>>
>>2235451
get another, much smaller toolbag where you keep only the absolute most basic tools and use that as your primary tool bag. keep the one you have for everything else. i guess you too do 95% of the jobs with only 5% of the tools, the trick is to deside on that 5% and dont fall back to the old "nice to have, you never know..." habit.
>>
>>2235451
>>2235467
get a bag like this.
pay attention to the dozen or so tools you use daily. put them in this bag and treat it like your baby.

put other tools you use seldomly in a 2nd bag.

the tools you dont use store them properly in your basement (oil them, keep away from moisture etc)
>>
File: IMG_20211105_163135.jpg (1.6 MB, 2560x1920)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
I don't dig for tools....also one glance I know if something is missing
>>
File: IMG_20211105_164159.jpg (1.88 MB, 2560x1920)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
If I'm painting or drywalling I built a box for that as well
>>
File: IMG_20211105_164639.jpg (1.72 MB, 2560x1920)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB JPG
Side boxes on truck organized as well
>>
Milwaukee Packout + Kaizen foam inserts = problem solved.
>>
>>2246313
My bad, forgot pic.
>>
>>2246313
milwaukee packout is the most retarded system i have ever tried. its not easy access if you have to unload boxes or dig through them to get to the stuff in the bottom.
>>
>>2246320
They sell drawers but not in any store I've seen for some fuckin reason

>buy this packout brand cooler goyim

Ohnyes. I always wanted my lunch to match my screws
>>
File: 09223608[1].jpg (61 KB, 675x675)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>2246320
>its not easy access if you have to unload boxes or dig through them to get to the stuff in the bottom
so like any tool box?

the only difference with <insert brand name here> stackable tool boxes is that they lock together and usually have a dolly-style wheel system for easy movement. yes, you need to unstack them to get to the bottom box you dumb shit, but they also make drawer versions, and they are still 100x easier than carrying each box separate
>>
>>2237112
>I lose or misplace place so many tools, I just end up buying 3,4,5 of everything
that's called paying the idiot tax
you're not bad at organizing, you're just retarded
>>
>>2242186
I think the point >>2242196 was making is that why are you taking out every tool every day when you sure as shit don't fucking use every tool every day
>>
>>2245928
>>2245925
>>2245917
Psychopath?
>>
>>2246510
Yeah like for sure that cats loco
>>
>>2245925
Jesus, I've come to the conclusion a few months ago to just build my own toolboxes. All the stackable ones aren't right, the heavy duty plastic ones take up too much space. I've been living with the husky bags (24 inch) for my main cordless and a tool tote hand tools.
>>
If you consider yourself a carpenter
Why wouldn't you build your own tool box?
>>
bump
>>
toolbag backpack master race reporting for duty
>>
>>2235451
Just get pic related and you wont have to haul around so much silly obsolete junk
>>
>>2251729
those would be great for working on...
oh who am I kidding those things are shit.
>>
>>2237304
>304
>socket rails
Where can I buy stainless rails? I don't want it to rust, and I don't want to worry about having to oil or galvanize.
>>
>>2251729
I know you're funposting but I'm still angry
>>
>>2251865
The chrome plated stuff is good enough. If you want something better and corrosion resistant, look at the plastic ones.
>>
>>2252624
>plastic
>better

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.