[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 99 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 58092_W3.jpg (86 KB, 1200x1200)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
Stupid Questions thread

Sup /diy/, poorfag here. Would this 5 amp harbor freight chinesium angle grinder be good enough to cut through part of the steel k-member of a car?
>>
File: k-member.png (396 KB, 418x577)
396 KB
396 KB PNG
>>2227446
picrel is the area to be cut
>>
>>2227446
They work. They'll run a cutting wheel.
>>
My shower has the whole drip drip thing going.

I have tried to use the moen cartridge filter change tool but that bitch is stuck in there. Anyone got tips to extract without replacing the mixing valve housing?
>>
>>2227446
Get a thin kerf blade that is name brand (Diablo/DeWalt) on there and you should be fine. Just go slow with the cut and let the blade do the work while you wear a facemask gloves and hearing protection.
>>
>>2227480
rapidly open and close the valve a few dozen times

there is grit stuck inside, you have to break that loose
>>
I’m working on a fence banging zombie prop for Halloween and thinking of using an oscillating fan to move the fence.
I haven’t taken the fan apart yet, but could could this be done?
>>
>>2227486
Depending on the valve, the cartridge might remain stationary and stuck while the cartridge guts turn. In that case, rapidly opening and closing will do nothing.

>>2227480
I just replaced a Moen 1222 cartridge and it was a bitch. The cartridge was basically frozen in place from hard water deposits and there was no way in hell to get it out. After I broke off the valve stem from pulling on it, I ended up drilling a hole into the nylon casing, running a construction screw into that, and they using a prybar (cushioned by a 2x4 against the wall) to pull it. The inner guts of the cartridge came out and I had to break the rest of the nylon casing out with a slotted screwdriver.

Do yourself a favor and get a flex hone or something like that to ream out the valve body. I spent forever with vinegar, sandpaper, and the brush cleaning mine out and I still had to practically hammer the new cartridge in.
>>
>>2227505
The prop in question.
>>
File: 4.5mm-coil_1.jpg (93 KB, 1000x1000)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
can I waterproof braided hemp rope by soaking or coating it in wood oil? I want to tie some around my bamboo mug for design purposes, so it will be exposed to water regularly but not deep soaking.
the wood oil is derived from natural oils too.
is any other treatment required?
>>
>>2227570
talking out of my ass, i'd say waxing does a better job
>>
>>2227505
If you are moving everything out of PVC it should be fine. Rather than do a reduction drive if there is an issue, support as much as possible of the frame by not the pin used to actuate.

Props to you though
>>
>>2227595
you mean soaking it in beeswax? that does sound effective for waterproofing. my next question then would be; could I glue the wax coated rope to my mug with wood/super glue?
I'm assuming the glue would bond to the wax instead of the rope, unless it still manages to absorb through the wax?
>>
some anon more knowledgable shall correct me
>>2227614
wet the rope, then let it dry completely. pull the rope through a wax block, then go over the rope with a hair dryer. wax will permeate in and dry the rope.
wind the rope tight around the mug and sew the end on or do a knot that wont bulge. I would try without glue.
If it ever gets wet again, it will tighten up and not come loose
>>
>>2227621
thanks anon I will try that and hopefully remember to report back on it
>>
>>2227621
>would
*would not
>>
>>2227480
Damn I had the same shit recently and that valve was stuck (guy on Youtube made it look so easy like he just replaced it a couple years ago). Went back for the puller tool after almost destroying a tile wall and it worked.

When I pulled mine out, the plastic bits of the valve were all cracked and fucked, so possibly you have that jammed up in there. Didn’t see much for advice besides “Buy the puller tool!” but I’m curious whether some heat would’ve loosened up all the dry cracked shit. My next options would probably be CLR to clean deposits followed by some penetrating oil and/or silicone spray, and eventually just start drilling holes into the goddamn valve to try and get pressure off of it and maybe hit the o-rings with a well placed drill bit and go back with the puller after that.

My 2¢..
>>
File: Splice.png (10 KB, 634x477)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
I have a 4 wire (White, Red, Black, Ground) romex running along a wall powering outlets and lights. I want to put a new outlet along this connection by cutting it and splicing into it. I only have romex with three wires (White, Black, Ground). Would I splice into the connection by cutting the existing cable, then joining the two existing reds from the 4 wire line that is cut, then joining all three whites, all three blacks, and all three grounds? Or is there some different method that I cant find for splicing a three wire outlet into a four wire run?
>>
I have to DIY some minor tuckpointing. I went out and bought some bags of type N mortar since I read it's good for tuckpointing. However, the guys at the loading area tossed in a few bags of pic related that I didn't notice until I got home. What type is this? Can I tuckpoint with this too or do I have to go return it in exchange for bags of type N?
>>
I dug up some old pavers and I think I have enough to build a fire pit with. What do I make the floor of the pit? I'd prefer not to waste my pavers down there because I want this thing to be deep. Do I just leave dirt down there or what
>>
File: file.png (955 KB, 1001x376)
955 KB
955 KB PNG
>"Son, grab me my multitool"
Which do you grab?
>>
File: everybodylovestraps.jpg (502 KB, 2048x1536)
502 KB
502 KB JPG
How difficult would it be to replace this filter under my sink?
>>
>>2227446
Does anyone know how to measure a new door slab when the door is gone/thrown out? Just moved into a place and I want to install a door in what's currently just an open doorway that still has its hinges attached.
>>
>>2227806
Depends
Is your father the manager at a grocery store, or does he do tile and grout work for a living?
>>
>>2227813
just measure the width of the opening in the doorway. you'll have to cut the door to make it fit anyway so precise measurements aren't necessary yet. you only need to know whether you need a 28", 32" etc. you'll also need a router with a straight bit (or a chisel if you don't have one) to mortice the hinges/striker, a 2 1/8" hole saw and 1" spade bit (or 1" hole saw) to install the knob. doors with precut holes rarely line up in my experience but you could go that way if you'd rather modify the jam instead of the door itself but that's not what i'd do for a number of reasons
>>
>>2227756
Please don’t do this, you don’t know enough to make this happen safely. I would recommend asking your dad or some shit if you don’t want to hire a professional.
>>
>>2227446
absolutely, I've cut up multiple cars with the $15 angle grinder they sell, shes still around and choochin too.
>>
>>2227756
when it comes to electrical I always say just go for it. worst thing that happens is the breaker pops or you burn out an outlet which costs all of $1. maybe keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case but really you can just make your best guess and try it out until you get it right
>>
>>2227806
>>2227820
Are you installing baseboard or did he say “Grab my Leatherman!”

Also why would the Leatherman be anywhere but your pocket or belt?

“Grab me some tissue” is obviously wrapping presents because nobody asked for a goddamn Kleenex.
>>
File: 1633889557954.jpg (62 KB, 976x850)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
How do I make my pee pee bigger?
>>
>>2227863
Fred Durst Jelqing Guide 2021
>>
>>2227863
buy a milwaukee fuel combo kit
>>
>>2227446
Insulate attic advice
I got a house in Northern Virginia and have found the blown in cotton and cellulose topping in the attic has settled a lot since it was built, but generally looks ok with a few exceptions spots. I also just found some mold on the insulation around the seams of the bathroom ceiling under the attic floor. Right now I am just redoing the bathroom ceiling, but in ~5 years I plan to redo the attic when the roof gets redone. What insulation should I use now for the hard to reach ceiling over the bathroom and what should I look at for the larger project once I get to that later?
>>
Board tourist, sorry if this isn't the right thread.

I'm in college at the moment, and I'm kind of floundering, I've tried STEM and I didn't care enough about to deal with the industry (engineering/cs), I'm doing a humanities degree, and while I really enjoy studying it, I know it's going to be a shit show when I graduate. I'm only really in college because my Dad's one condition for my life was getting a degree (he's paying, so no debt). Anyway, would it be retarded to just get the degree and then go to trade school? Is being a welder/mechanic/millwright/whatever-the-fuck/ as good as some people make it out to be? I like the idea of working with my hands and learning practical things, but I don't really have any familial connections in that realm, so I'm not sure what it would really be like.

TL:DR; Not liking post-college options, how retarded is trade school?
>>
>>2228040
You'd be better off as an engineer, accountant or doctor but if you're going into trades, get in early and stick with it
>>
>>2227922
Same insulation and get it over the trusses

You can loose fill it if it's not too much
>>
>>2227809
Kek
Twist and pull
Lmaooooooo
>>
>>2228045
I guess I'm not really worried about money. Maybe I should be, but I'm not much for spending money anyway. Any thoughts on particular trades? Thanks.
>>
>>2228050
Not the fucking cartridge you buffoon, the entire assembly.
>>
>>2227805
You want a lot of stone so it doesn't flood
Don't forget your vent to allow air to flow to the base of the fire
>>
File: PXL_20211012_080127274.jpg (2.32 MB, 2268x4032)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB JPG
Just got a new apartment, and these bugs are all in the bathtub and sink. What are they, and how can I stop the infestation?
>>
>>2228123
Thats a baby cockroach
You can get rid of them by ripping out the walls.
>>
>>2228126
I don't think my landlord would love that.
>>
>>2228128
Who cares what your landlord thinks, he obviously doesnt give a fuck about his tenants
>>
I removed my old threshold and gonna connect the rooms with laminate flooring without threshold. How do I fill the hole? It needs to withstand lot of foot trafficking
>>
>>2228123
They are your new friends
>>
>>2227621

Rope would eventually get mildew if it is exposed to water all the time.
>>
>>2228052
Ask better questions then you orangutan
>>
>>2228051
Even beyond money, tradies have to work 50-60 hour weeks until they're fully licensed where engineers can easily find cushy 9-5s

You want to be an electrician or plumber because once you become a master, you can pull 6 figures easily. And in talking in nowhere USA where that will buy you every bit of the American dream
>>
>>2228123
I guess you can do the whole diatomaceous earth thing.
>>
>>2227870
Sorry meant to tag >>2227863
>>
>>2228040
The answer is: Kinda stupid if you're outside New York/Boston/Chicago where unions still have sway. But still might be worth it. Plumbers and Electricians tend to do really well. Lots of guys open their own shops after retiring too.
>>
What's the best kind of vinyl flooring? The rigid stuff or the sticky flex stuff
>>
What happens if you put expanding foam in your mouth direct from the straw?
>>
File: 61WzvFbCakS._AC_SL1500_.jpg (134 KB, 1500x1490)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
Hey! Can someone please tell me what I need to buy to cheaply diy an extra attachment to the vertical pipe on this monitor arm? I reckon there's probably some parts intended for plumbing that I could use but I have no idea what those would even be called.
>>
>>2228471
I reckon there's a decently high chance it will choke you to death.
>>
>>2227792
Spec mix comes in all three M, S, N mortar types. N is the softest and most flexible. I wouldn't see a problem with tucking with either S or N. Mix it loose enough you're comfortable bagging it and you're in for an ok time.
>>
>>2228491
It's just a cylinder. You could extend it with an equal diameter dowel or piece of pipe. If you can find an internal coupling then you're probably good to go. I'd get the closest black paint shaker to match to powder coat.
>>
>>2228510
I should have specified that I want to attach a second pipe at a 90° angle near the bottom of the arm.

Something like pic related would be perfect but I can only find these for 15mm diameter rods. Mine are 40mm and ~23mm respectively.
>>
Would you trust a ladder from harbor freight?
>>
>>2228510
cheap.. .. how cheap? Like retardo bot cheap?

like ziptie an angle bracket to it cheap?

or like find a structural tubing clamp.

does it need to be adjustable?

are you interested in DIYing this because you want to fabricate something. lots of options. block of wood with hole in it. cut it so hole it, well you know "clampy"
>>
Currently I have an LED bulb behind my desk attached to a clamp like pic, it's super bright and I would like to be able to dim it at times. Would it be possible to connect it to some sort of dimmer? LED strips are gay and they're not bright enough.
>>
>>2228595
Just get a lower wattage bulb, ffs.
>>
>>2228598
No, there are times where I prefer max brightness and times where I'd like to lower it. Dimmable bulbs exist, I'm just not sure how to do this.
>>
Will 200X50 rubber fit on 6,5 (165mm) inch hoverboard wheel motor?
Like idk, on pics they seem to have same metal part (i.e. motor itself). But when you check aliexpress, 200x50 wheel usually have ID of 120 mm and 165x45/50 mm ones have 115 mm ID or less. And like there are also sellers that sell 200x50 rubber, but which has ID of 115 mm... Or so they claim...

Soooo? Are they the same OD (motors)? Are chinks so bad with calipers and rulers? Idk what else.

>why do you care about some toy wheel
I know I can install them on kick scooter, and since each one is 350-500W, it will be 700-1000W in total which is fucking nice compared to any other Xiaomi shit, even if max speed would be like 30 km/h.
>>
>>2228613
buy a controllable LED bulb you nonce
>>
>>2228595
If it's a dimmable bulb, you'll be fine. There are dimming switches at every hardware store. They can fit into a standard light switch cover.
>>
>>2227570
soak it in kerosene?
>>
>>2228636
I forgot those were a thing. They're pretty expensive wtf
>>
>>2227486
>>2227506
>>2227706
Basically having the same problem with my Delta, don’t know if there is a specific puller tool like Moen, but with my luck I’ll completely fuck something up. Fortunately the dripping is very off/on and not too much so. Ignoring for now until I can put in the time/effort to deal with a major fuck up. And I misplaced my silicone grease. Idiot at HD almost sold me silicone caulk but I knew better.
>>
About four years ago I put some vinyl plank flooring down in my basement after I ripped out the carpet. I bought an inexpensive brand, it just being a basement and all, and it's generally held up fine (a couple small buckles in spots where the floor is a bit uneven, but not really noticeable if you aren't looking for it).

These are the thinner planks with underlayment already attached. I think I paid $1500 for the 1100 sqft of it I needed for the biggest room in my basement. It's a dark wood color and I'm intending to remodel my basement (remove wood paneling for drywall, install soffits and bulkheads and replace the suspended ceiling with drywall).

Can I just place another layer of LVP on top of this? I don't see a compelling reason to remove it, and it seems like it will just act as extra underlayment. If I pull it up it just goes in the trash and it's the waterproof full vinyl kind so I don't think mold or mildew would ever be a concern. If anything it seems like a pseudo vapor barrier of sorts, which might be nice as I plan to install a riser in the section I use as a home theater and that prevents wood on concrete contact.
>>
I am making a crib for my kid.
What sort of wood finish would be best to use and won't poison him if he chews on it?
>>
Please help /diy/

Is there a name for these sorts of shelves that use telescoping/adjustable supports to clamp themselves between the floor and the ceiling?

These are some from ikea. I'm moving to an apartment where I won't be able to hang a real shelf and I was thinking about these but I'm struggling to search for them because I have no idea what search terms to use.
>>
>>2228734
99% of shit isn't poisonous once cured. Maybe go with a wood oil or just pick a water based paint/clear coating.
>>
>>2228734
shellac, it's the best finish ever
>>
File: 1633711166941.jpg (242 KB, 2048x1536)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
1. Why are these bags filled with piss
2. How are the bags ductile enough to hold so much piss?
>>
>>2228726
Flippers just go over the top no fucks given. If the old flooring is in good condition you might be able to donate it. I would probably pull it up to save time messing with the trimwork, thresholds, and jambs.
>>
what type of gloves are best for protecting fingers when using belt and disc sanders?
>>
Im asking again. How do I fill hole in floor before installing flooring? I used wall spackle and its fucked now and need to fix it
>>
>>2228935
what material is the surrounding of the hole made of?
>>
>>2228911

It's in good shape but I doubt all of the click lock parts would survive repeated removal and reinstallation. I'm going to redo the trim and jambs anyway as I have to remove the wood paneling on the walls. I'll probably leave it then if there are no specific concerns to layering it... and I cant imagine any.
>>
>>2228935
Durhams rock hard putty or some type of floor leveler.
>>
>>2228933
None is best because you'll fuck your gloves up with aggressive grits. I do use regular leather gloves sometimes when working on small stuff that gets hot quickly, but you have to be careful to keep them away from the disc or they'll have a hole in them real fast.
>>
>>2229007
okay so I wont buy any gloves, thanks
>>
File: coffeetable.jpg (172 KB, 1707x2560)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>2227446
going to be building a coffee table and some small side tables because I can't find anything I like and don't want to pay out the ass.

I have a $600 budget on some wood working tools, what should I get?
>electric hand planer
>circular saw
I have a sander

I cannot decide between a mitre saw or a table saw. I will be using 4x4 for the legs.
>>
>>2229042

Electric hand planers arent as useful as you might think and for furniture building they're pretty much unheard of. A normal hand plane however is very useful.

While a tablesaw is a universally much more useful tool, if buying expressly for this purpose you can do what you would like with a miter saw. The table you pictured a miter saw would be the preferred tool if you could only have one- but the tablesaw would allow you to edge joint the boards (and possibly face joint depending on the width of each board) for an overall superior product.
>>
File: 71CN6mmBVcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (135 KB, 1300x1300)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>2228123
This shit kills roaches faster and more effectively than anything I have tried.

If you see they are everywhere get the bait boxes, if you see they are in a few areas predominatly get the injection tube.

The stuff works by inhibiting sodium transport between nerves so you will see 100s of dead bugs after a good nighttime spray. Leave those dead bugs there for a day or two, the live roaches will feast on the corpse of the dead ones and die from injesting leftover poision.
>>
>>2228752
fuck the apartment rules, its not worth risking 250$ of shelving falling out with 300$ of food on it and not having storage to hide from the apartment jews 300$ fuck you move out security deposit rape fee.
>>
>>2229044
The videos I have seen they have the full size planer which I can't really justify for this, but I will look into hand planers. I will most likely go with the Miter saw, I have built some things before but not very confident when it comes to jointing. I plan on drilling pocket holes.
>>
>>2229042
Craigslist
>tablesaw that has a oval shaped insert plate & 10" blade ~150$
>1/8th in Freud flat top blade ~45$ craigslist/ebay
>3/32 in ATB cross cut blade ~30$
>get 100$ worth of clamps
>Titebond II or III glue
>Craigslist/ebay/offerup a good miter saw that shares blades with the table ~50-100$
>Craigslist/ebay/offerup a good router ~50-100$
>Get some router bits to finish edges
>Random orbital sander prefferably cordless

boom 600$ well spent
>>
>>2229052
good idea here, happy to see how I should spend this 600, I don't know much about tools I've always done wood working with my dad or friends and they have supplied them.
>>
I bought this automatic feeder for my cat but the slots are too deep, when she puts her face in there to eat it overstimulates her whiskers

I don't know shit but is there maybe something I can put in there that will make it "shallower" so she doesn't have to stick her face all the way in? Pic related
>>
>>2229042
You can easily build your pic with a circular saw. If you're making longer cuts, you'll need a straight edge until you get good, and still if you're cutting finished material like a door. An orbital sander is much more forgiving than a hand plane. It's like using a slide rule vs a calculator.
A cross cut sled will unlock a lot of new and convenient usefulness from a table saw. Even with a 12" sliding miter, you can't easily make rip cuts. Nor mortise cuts which you'll want a table an dado set or router table. I recommend a 7 or 10" mitersaw for trim and smaller miter and bevel cuts. Few people want the weight and cost of a 12" when the smaller will do 95% of the cuts.
>>
>>2229052
table saws want to kill you but good luck

I presume you have a full on facemask & hearing protection, not just goggles.
>>
I'm having shitload of trouble drilling through wood using Boschhammer 240F.
I'm using the non-SDS head, and the drill bit keeps slipping. What could be the problem here? Shitty drill bit? Shitty wood?
I'm kinda disappointed since it eats through concrete like it's nothing.
>>
>>2229111
Pay a little more and get hex shank drill bits? Doesn't matter how shitty the keyless chuck is then.
>>
Howdy folks, I'm an astrological magician working in the medieval tradition as described in the old tome Picatrix. What is the best way to go about casting metal talismans? Pic rel is a fine example from Chris Warnock, the elder statesman of the astrological magic tradition. My main limiting factor is time, since most of the elections I use are fairly narrow fifteen to twenty minute windows (even less for fixed star talismans); the good thing about astrological magic as opposed to e.g. other styles is that 90% of the work is frontloaded in electing the time to create the talisman, selecting the materia, &c. Any help or pointers is much appreciated.
>>
>>2229151

Lost wax cast from aluminum, pewter, or lead after carving the wax into the shape you want.

Or 3dprint and cast from that instead of wax, PLA burns out well and there are also beeswax filaments specifically for lost wax casting
>>
>>2229164
>beeswax filaments
Sounds neat, thanks. One of my housemates is a big 3D printing fellow, I'll see if one of his printers can accommodate.
>>
>>2229196

Look for polycast or machineable wax
>>
>>2228979
concrete maybe
>>
Do I need to use eave insulation baffles if there are no vents on the outside soffit?

On a garage if that matters and the insulation is going in between the 2x6's, no hanging beams.
>>
File: Sing_814_Stylist.jpg (106 KB, 874x1200)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
Currently using pic related. The tension adjustment seems to be beyond repair.
Unless you know some magic to work with it, I'm hoping for recommendations for a new machine.
I need something that can do a large variety of fabrics, some heavier like canvas.
I prefer non-computerized.
Opinions on the Singer Heavy Duty 44-- Series?
>>
File: sketch-1634172899843.png (1.74 MB, 1440x1920)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB PNG
Im upgrading all of my recessed LEDs to Philips hue recessed lights, I didn't realize that the Philips hue lights require a can to be installed into.
is there away I can install these without attic access? so that they clamp onto the drywall like the previous versions.
>>
>>2229433
return those and buy the canless version.
>>
>>2229446
there arent canless recessed hue lights
>>
>>2229429
Singer 201 if you can find one. A Singer 66 if you can't. The 301, 401, 500, 600 (NOT the 6## series Touch & Sew machines) are also great. Hell, just about any full size Singer that is all black or brown will do. Unless you want to do leather. Then you will need an actual leather sewing machine.
>>
>>2229047
Can confirm that this is one of the cheapest, best investments you can ever make. Throw down the extra few dollars and you absolutely will not regret it when the roaches disappear.
>>
Do I use treated or untreated pine for outdoor furniture?
Making something for mum but she's not comfortable with the idea of treated timber. I imagine it's not a problem if you're not eating off it.
>>
File: IMG_20211014_004450892~2.jpg (1.41 MB, 4096x1970)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
My microwave oven vibrates like a mofo. What a cheap and easy way to isolate the feet from the cabinet so it doesn't transmit its shakes through the whole damn house?
>>
>>2229600
Bolt it to the floor or suspend it from the ceiling with elastic
>>
>>2229529
It's not CCA treated anymore, it's ACQ. It's pressure treated with a copper compound that doesn't leach.
>>
File: 1633927254204.png (458 KB, 623x430)
458 KB
458 KB PNG
I have like a wrench thingy. It's like a cross with circles on each point that acts as a wrench. What is this called?
>>
Can you do anything fun with a 230vac 300rpm (50Hz) brushless motor? I have one laying around, wanted a tiny router or table saw for softwoods but 300rpm is probably too slow right? Ideas welcome
>>
>>2229600
rubber or foam or silicone mat
>>
>>2229696
Only just figured it is 3000rpm. So theoretically a 200mm blade would make it an kind of okay tiny table say?
>>
>>2229653
Its a deflator wrench. Lets air out of leather bladders.
>>
>>2229653
A cross wrench? For car tires
>>
>>2229734
This, for deflating the tires.
>>
File: extralarge.jpg (91 KB, 900x900)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>2229600
Moon shoes
>>
>>2229061
Fill the bottom with epoxy

>>2229042
Buy the walmart miter saw and use 1xs everywhere but the legs

2x furniture is retardedly heavy and doesn't look good enough to justify keeping long term

You should just need a miter saw and belt sander, finish with a block sander

Came in under budget and made your future moving wayyy easier because you'll hate yourself moving 200# end tables
>>
>>2228935
Vinyl concrete patch if it's small

Make sure you put down a moisture barrier and appropriate underlayment and flooring for concrete
>>
>>2227809
you basically have to take apart your entire sink anon
>>
>>2229802
>Fill the bottom with epoxy
Thanks. I checked lowes/homedepot website and there's like 10 kinds, which type specifically? I don't know shit about this
>>
>>2229867
Something food safe would be the best way to go, though that might be pricier. Might be a good idea to fill the bottom with bondo or something similar and then seal it with the epoxy.
>>
...yes, but how do I give myself a proper tattoo at home?
Before I shill out the money for a tattoo gun, I'd like to consider alternatives since I'll only be doing this once, in all likelihood. I tried stick 'n poke before but I'm too much of a pussy.
What other alternatives are there?
>>
>>2229734
Its tiny tho it's like 7mm, 6mm 5mm etc. Same thing?
>>
I have a little mirror in my shower and the adhesive on the hook failed.
If I hang the hook using super gorilla glue will it fuck up the tiles at all?
>>
>>2230154
probably not. Unless your tiles are super porous, you'll probably be able to get it off with acetone/nail polish remover pretty easily and any leftover residue can also be wiped off with acetone/nail polish remover.
>>
My furnace fan won't turn off. Any simple fixes or do I need to hire someone?
>>
>>2230162
I took out my furnace filters and found a box fan that was the same size and just stuck that in there. Works a charm
>>
Is there a way to make a urinal run unabated? I get extra money at work if I fix shit and it’s super easy to fix. I know it has something to do with the flaps in the vacuum breaker. But how does that happen naturally and how can I speed that up?
>>
>>2230162
This happened to me recently, air mover fan ran constantly, HVAC guy replaced the whole motor because the unit was still under warranty but I did a quick google before having him come and I remember seeing capacitor as a potential cause.

>>2230009
I have some 3 way wrenches like that, they came in bicycle repair tool sets. They make em like pic related and allen keys.

There’s also a common 4-way with square drives for plumbing, I believe it’s a faucet wrench or some shit, I have one of those buried somewhere.
>>
What's the best lightbulb option for a semi-enclosed light fixture? The fixtures in my room keep killing every LED I throw at them. They work fine for a few months then start randomly flickering and then eventually just die. The bulbs get very hot in these fixture and I think maybe the heat is killing them prematurely.

I don't have the option to change the fixtures, I just need a set of bulbs that won't die after a few months. Incandescent or fluorescent are not available in my country.
>>
>>2229653
Pin wrench
>>
File: bulging retaining wall.jpg (212 KB, 1280x960)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
The retaining wall in pic related is as old as time itself and bulging out. I need to mend it on a budget. Any better ideas than to dig out behind it and flip the 2x12s that act as the wall? Maybe add some more 4x4s to support it?
>>
>>2230307
Pic related is one of the light fixtures in question.
>>
>>2230347
and here it's is uncovered
>>
>>2227446
what wheel would you use to cut a hole in a shipping container? Need to make some vents in mine... phyxv
>>
>>2228933
No gloves so you don't get sucked in a your hand all smashed up. If whatever you're holding gets too hot to hold, than it got hot enough to ruin the temper. Dunk that shit in water while you work
>>
>>2230368
How thick is it? Angle grinder should work
>>
Has anyone ever tried running pneumatic tools off a vacuum? Just for shits and giggles.
What size are the two fittings on an a/c vacuum pump? Might rig some shit up with my spare air tank and a/c pump and try it out
>>
>>2230374
Do you have nothing better to do?
How about working on one of the 20 projects laying around, instead of straight up wasting time for no good reason.
>>
>>2230381
Fuck off I want to see what his vacuum contraption does
>>
>>2230383
Its going to end up being a half finished project that he never finishes, that just sits around taking up space and wasting his time.
>>
>>2230384
So what? It doesn't bother me if he wastes his time
>>
>>2230385
>It doesn't bother me if he wastes his time
Of course you dont.
I do though, sometimes anons need a quick reminder that they already have enough work sitting around, they need to get on those old projects instead making new ones.
>>
Still trying to jerry rig a milling machine from electronics I have laying around, but I know shit about the motors in those normally (also since I don’t have an actual router/mill for reference).

I have a motor that is 17W, 3000rpm. For 60m/s cutting speed (recommended for softer woods according to Google) I could mount a drill chuck on it and a 6mm mill bit. The rpm is then right but would it have enough torque to do anything to the wood? I’m not concerned about feed speed, I could feed the wood extremely slowly, and cut just a few mm deep each pass. I’ll have to add an extra bearing to avoid bending the axle which is only 4mm. Should I attempt this or is it stupid?

Alternatively I have a vacuum from which I could salvage the motor, but that one runs at 900W, 20.000 rpm or so, and I’m afraid it will run way too fast for my small mill (plus it’s more dangerous). I can’t really regulate the motor speed since it’s AC, and I don’t have the tools to make a transmission or motor drive. Any ideas diy?
>>
kek
>>
>>2230400
im literally kekking right now
>>
Anyone care to recommend a soldering iron? I was going to get a £10 ebay jobby but I assume they're shit.
>>
What drill should I get? I have no power tools at all and am looking to get into DIY stuff. I'm a bit of a minimalist so I want one thing that can do everything. I was told for minimalism I should get an 18V cordless combi drill and a circular saw. Is that right? But what specific model should I get? I'm concerned about getting locked into one manufacturer's walled garden for batteries. Is there some kind of good value Chinesium drill that takes universal batteries or something? What do?
>>
>>2230553
I’d go with table saw instead of circular saw, it can really cut almost anything and make grooves as well

I have a Bosch 14V drill. Original battery died after 4 years, Chinese battery has been going for another 4. The battery is the most expensive part anyway so just pick a reputable one that has replacement batteries available (Dewalt, Bosch, Hilti, also depends on your location). There aren’t really universal cross brand batteries but you don’t really need many of them either unless you’re a carpenter of sorts
>>
File: IMG_20211015_183252.jpg (846 KB, 1600x1200)
846 KB
846 KB JPG
What is this IC? It's from a no name battery bank but it doesn't seem to be a tp4056. Is this safe to use? The entire module looks almost identical to one you can buy on amazon. The amazon one has different writing on it and is also not a tp4056.
>>
Is modern treated lumber bad? I have some left over from some Amish guys who built my deck I swiped out of the dumpster. Was gonna use it as legs for a workbench.
I know they used to make it with arsenic and that was bad but idk if they changed it or what's the deal
>>
>>2227446
I have a big and a small grinder from what i know its a bad idea to put a cut-off disk from a big grinder in a small grinder because the small grinder has more RPM and the wheel could explode. it also would not fit the guard.

but what if the 180mm disk is worn down so much it has 110mm can i safely put it in the small grinder to get the last penny's worth out of it.
>>
>>2230602
If a 180mm disk has worn to 110mm it’s not safe for any kind of use, not even on the big grinder because it has too much room on the blade guard
>>
>>2227446
I know that burying shipping containers is a meme, but what about turning shipping containers into normal, above ground, housing? Housing prices in my area seem crazy high, but the idea of buying some land, slapping a shipping container on the land, hooking it up to existing utilities, and renovating the box is sounding better and better. Seems like it wouldn't be so bad expanding in the future, as I could just buy another container and stand it up next to the first container.
>>
>>2230598
As long as noone is chewing on it, it will be fine to make workbench legs, even if it was CCA, which it isn't anymore. Modern treated wood in the USA for residential construction purposes contains a copper based biocide. It's allegedly pretty benign
>>
>>2229061
trim cats whiskers
>>
I want to make high quality stickers at home with texture? Achievable?
>>
>>2230762
Oh NO NO NO

Do NOT touch those
>>
>>2227595
Not that I know anything about Shiburi, but the way to care for natural rope includes beeswax.
>>
>>2230773
Trim the whiskers when you trim their fur. Hair's meant to be cut!
>>
>>2227446
OK anon. I used to sell industrial tools. Really expensive ones you only see if you work in a plant where the tool is used constantly. I have a ton of milwaukee electric everything. Drain cleaner, belt sander, 2 sawzalls, ect ect. Then I have Dewalts and Bosch ect. I a;ways buy high quality...except for 4 or 4-1/2 inch angle grinders. I get tired of changing the wheels so I buy a half dozen at a time. one for cutoff, one for flapwheel, one for wire wheel, one for grinding. and two more for backups, same cost as my ME. These tools get beat on and the eat grit. Use good abrasives, wear a mask, gloves, ears and eye protection. If the switch goes bad or the cable gets cut, toss it. Never take your eyes off the wheel, and if it feels unsafe, it is. Stop and get help. Some cheap air tools do better than a wheel. A few drops of air tool oil and a quik blip of the trigger AFTER you use is displaces the water that rusts the barell and swells up the blades on these cheap air tools.
>>
>>2230773
Why not? Will the cat evaporate into mustard gas?
>>
>>2230811
Whiskers are basically sensory organs for a cat. So if you think blinding and torturing animals is fun, go for it.
>>
>>2230809
>If the switch goes bad or the cable gets cut, toss it.
Or give them to someone technically inclined. I used to maintain a welding school angle and die grinder fleet and swapping cords, switches and chucks is quite easy.

Based advice all around though since anyone who needs that advice won't be fixing tools.

Many weldors buy piles of die grinders (6" is best because thin kerf cutting wheels and they take all the smol grinder accessories but aren't heavy like 9" grinders).
>>
File: c.jpg (119 KB, 974x830)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
What would the terminals labeled c be called?
If anyone knows what size it should be thatd be great too. Its going into a toyota yaris if it matters.
>>
Brainlet here. Is the Ryobi 18V brushed combi drill any good? There's a deal for it at the moment with two 2 Ah batteries, charger, carry bag, and Ryobi LED torch for £100. Is this good value? Thinking of buying it and then just selling the torch and spare battery.
>>
I'm planning a driving light install and wan the bar to be switched with my high beams and also a separate button. I'm thinking of just getting a tow diode to simplify things, but if I use regular diodes, what size should I get?

>>2230908
Crimp pin connectors. No idea on size, but I've pulled good ones along with a little wire from unused slots and soldered them to the broken ones before.
>>
>>2230913
The only good ryobi shit is the impact driver and the 18g nailer. Their corded angle grinder is also good enough.
>>
almost every washer i encounter has a side with rounded edges and a side with a lip on it

Which side do you have facing where? For furniture i try to have the rounded edge face the furniture to avoid marking it, but I could see how the lipped edge would be best for high load applications
>>
>>2230958
If you were wondering why, it's because they're punched out of sheet metal. As for which side goes where, it doesn't matter. I usually put the sharp edge side down because I'm an ass pie and I think it looks better that way, but functionally it doesn't matter
>>
Is there a sensor I can put in my water line that detects when pressurized water is actively flowing in the line?

I need a motor to turn on and off in junction with taps being used in the house, but I'm receiving city water so I don't think I'd consistently trip a pressure sensor.
>>
>>2231086
Water flow sensors are a thing. You'll want to get one that fits into your existing pipes
>>
>>2231100
All the water flow sensors I found seem to measure flow-rate through oscillating sensors that put out rapid "ticks" of connection as the internal mechanism spins. Im pretty sure using that to drive a motor's on/off cycle would damage it. I need something that is a steady on/off at any noticeable psi change.
>>
>>2231102
You could get a micro controller to smooth that out into a simple on/off
>>
>>2228752
look in the shelving aisle at home depot. they have stuff like that.
>>
>>2229600
replace it? why the hell does it vibrate so much?
>>
I am using this little pcb out of a cheap power bank as a battery management for a battery powered speaker I am working on because it has overcharge and overdischarge protection.

Now it turns out that it turns off it's output when I run 5v into it's input. I would like to be able to use my speaker while it is plugged in though.

Would running a wire from the input USB through a diode to the speaker work? Would an LED be able to handle the 5v 1a from the USB input or do I have to go buy an diode that's rated for it?
>>
>>2230598
just don't use it for firewood
>>
Any clever tricks to polish ~50 brushed brass screws to mirror finish or just the classic brasso, denim, patience?
>>
Should I get corded or cordless tools for occasional use? I'm not a professional or anything, sometimes I just need to make a hole. Maybe months between uses.
How long does it take for a cordless battery to discharge on its own? How long does it take to recharge it?
>>
>>2231209
Corded is the safe default for rare use and best scored used for even lower cost.

Battery charge time varies but if you're just making rare holes indoors slinging a cord is trivial and of cords have many other uses. I use my cordless tools heavily so little idea how well they store over time.

If you need cordless later on just add them. Tools don't get jealous of each other.
>>
How easy is it to fix sagging mesh seat? Or is it not worth repairing it?
>>
I invented something, how do I go about selling the idea to a company without them just taking it and telling me to go fuck myself? I'ts not technically complicated, just came up with something that might sell well.
>>
>>2231276
you ever heard of patents?
>>
>>2231276
Research the most effective way to delay copying which may not be a patent (especially if your idea is not patentable). Find non-adversarial companies in that line of business. You have a lot of work to do.
>>
File: file.png (825 KB, 1940x600)
825 KB
825 KB PNG
Can I recycle greywater into drinking water using the following system?

Basically 50 micron spin-down filter, 10-1-<1 micron 3 stage filter, and then UV light. I want to use it to purify rainwater into potable water, but would it work for greywater too?
>>
>>2231321
I should clarify this would be for a house-wide system. I feel adding a reverse osmosis filter this early in the line would generate too much waste since water is already so tight.
>>
>>2231321
Greywater retains chemicals that filters don't remove. Study water which requires more effort than spoonfeeding. Let your greywater into a stand of shrubbery with a small trench around it and the shrubs will quickly dispose of it.
>>
>>2230769
Bump
>>
>>2230711
Pls respond
>>
I have been working on making LEDs blink to music with a simple transistor.

Problem is, it requires a crazy powerful input signal. Im using a 10w amplifier just for this, and its big and unwieldly. The transistors I have require 5-10watts of power to start turning on.
I'm using a TIP 31c transistor. But I have also tried 2n2222 and another similar one. Same result.
Is there a transistor that could be turned on by the ~100mW of a normal audio output? I have no clue how to find one any help would be appreciated.
>>
File: d4324.jpg (64 KB, 441x423)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>2230400
>>
How do I solder copper pipes without leaving any solder outside of fitting?
It doesn't have to be water tight btw, just strong enough you can't pull it apart.
>>
>>2231209
>Should I get corded or cordless tools for occasional use?
Do you have a tool you use often that uses same batteries? If yes - maybe cordless.
If no - corded.
Because batteries die if you don't use them.

That said, a cordless drill or impact driver are pretty convenient...
>>
>>2231402
>>2231226
Thanks. I don't have any tools at the moment. It seems like corded would be better for me, but from the research I've been doing it seems like there are fewer options, and the options that exist are just worse than cordless ones. For example corded drills don't have a clutch or mode settings. The world just moved over to cordless so maybe it's better if I just go with the flow.
If I remember to recharge the batteries every six months or so would that help to mitigate the risk of batteries dying?
>>
>>2231401
Just be careful applying flux and you should be fine. You'll still probably have a little bit peaking out, but if you can always just sand it off.
>>
>>2231422
Even if I use electronics solder (which is idk, 1 mm, maybe thinner) and i wipe flux away it is still too much, despite all the control thinner solder gives.
And like I tried applying solder from the inside of fitting and it worked better, but lol, how are you gonna solder second piece on?
I tried tinning pipe first, then fluxing it and fitting, and shoving hot pipe into fitting, but it is really hard to get amount of solder just right, because half of the times I didn't have enough of solder, and other half there was too much.

Should I try solder paste?
>>
>>2227446
Working on a control system I'm going to eventually implement into a drone.
Right now, I'm working on an ultrasonic sensor (since it's cheap and I don't have the money to get a barometer to measure altitude right now). I know it has a shit ton of error, and I'm using a simple Kalman Filter to narrow the error down into something acceptable.
The problem comes when estimating the error in the measurement; I'm trying to decide if I want to blindly guess it by fucking around with a range of distances, finding the average of the error for each range, then finding the average of those averages, in a sense.
I also have a bunch of MPU-6050s lying around that I have been fucking with, and I was thinking of calculating an estimate position away from the starting point from where it turned on and use that as a reference point. I already have something in mind for calculating the error, by basically having the bot do an awkward shuffle and comparing the estimated distance to the measured distance, where the estimated distance is calculated with the initial starting point and the first input from the sensor where it's some arbitrary value, and then taking a second input from the initial starting point and comparing that distance.

I should state that I have barely graduated high school and only have introductory knowledge into calculus, but I would assume that the answer is somewhere embedded in calculus, so I'm in the process of learning it.
Would appreciate the help. If there is a better way to do this, and I am a dumb nigger ape, please let me know.
>>
File: Untiktled.png (221 KB, 1207x509)
221 KB
221 KB PNG
>>2231404
>It seems like corded would be better for me, but from the research I've been doing it seems like there are fewer options
Mainly because all corded tools are universal brushed motor, and with cordless you get NiCD (which is outdated and you shouldn't buy it), you get Li-ion, you get 12V batteries, 18V batteries, 21V batteries, 36V batteries, brushed, brushed with serviceable motor, brushless, so many fucking options...
>For example corded drills don't have a clutch or mode settings.
There are options. I think Bosch also had something like this. But those are kinda rare, I would agree with that, and clutch is useful as fuck, way more useful than hammer function (because if you need hammer function, you better getting rotary hammer, because it has way more impact power and will make holes in concrete like in butter, unlike corded drill).
> The world just moved over to cordless so maybe it's better if I just go with the flow.
It really depends on tool. Drills and impact drivers - sure, cordless is way more convenient, because imagine screwing something in tight attic on the roof with fucking extension cord. Nightmare.
Rotary hammers, angle grinders, circular saws, there are still a lot of mains ones, because they are mainly used in places you have electricity and like a workbench. But for your african americans they make cordless versions too, so now they can steal a bicycle even with toughest lock.
>If I remember to recharge the batteries every six months or so would that help to mitigate the risk of batteries dying?
Batteries can't be stored, once they are made, they are degrading.

Now, what are you going to do with drill? Do you live in like your own home or do you rent? Do you like dick around with car or not? Do you live in US cardboard house, third world brick? Or commie concrete box?
Maybe you're going to find more uses for drill/impact/whatever.
>>
what is this tool called? I need to make some consistent rounded edges, like to do it by hand if possible since the length is small.
>>
>>2231464
Chamfer plane.
>>
>>2231445
What's is the diameter of piping that you are working with?
I don't do a lot of soldering, but I've never had too much trouble working on .5", .75", 1", and 2" pipe just using the cheap plumbing stuff from the big stores. I think the solder I have now is .125" diameter. The 2" was a bit tricky, seeing as it took much more torch time to wet the whole joint, but it worked out fine, if not a little sloppy looking.
The way I was taught was this:
>Prep the inside of the fitting and the outside of the mating end of the pipe by sanding the oxide layer off and allowing more surface area for the solder to wet
>apply a thin layer of flux paste and then wipe off any that might have gone where you don't want it
>mate your pipe and fitting together
>heat the joint with your torch for a bit and touch your solder to it
>if it's too cool, not much will happen, just wait a few ore seconds
>if you have enough heat, the solder will flow into the joint via capillary action and wet all of the flux treated surfaces
>keep the solder to the joint until it stops flowing and starts to gob up instead
>>
>>2231472
>What's is the diameter of piping that you are working with?
1/2.
>I don't do a lot of soldering, but I've never had too much trouble working on .5", .75", 1", and 2" pipe just using the cheap plumbing stuff from the big stores.
I don't have problem soldering pipe (after all, I re-piped my house), I have problem soldering pipe neatly, so neatly you only see 0.1mm silver ring all around the fitting. I don't really care about water-tightness here either, it should just be strong enough you can't pull it apart.

I saw one canadian dude vid on subj, but he was soldering pipe that would be somewhat close to the wall, so small blob of solder on back side isn't a big deal.
>>
>>2231467
how do I diy one of those without spending $30? Seems like I could just make a little rounded gap in a box cutter blade for free?
>>
>>2231492
You could try, but if $30 is a struggle for you, maybe woodworking isn't for you.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.