[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1629815531571.jpg (23 KB, 537x557)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
My house has been broken into 3 times in a 1 year period. Always when I'm gone. Unfortunately I'm stuck renting it for another year and a half. Can I get some input on how to make it more secure? I was thinking of a heavy duty locked plywood door behind my main door and freestanding plywood sheets weighed down by concrete blocks or something. I can't make any modifications to the structure unfortunately.
>>
what about the windows?
>>
>>2226027
>I can't make any modifications to the structure unfortunately.
do it anyway if your landlord won't approve/do it for you. as long as you have record of being broken into 3 times in a year then no judge will side with the landlord disapproving of a stronger doorway especially if its actually the door being kicked in
>>
>>2226027
>don't tell us anything about how it's being broken into
>for all we know it could be santa coming down the chimney
place severed goat heads around the property and cast some desecration spells, it will keep elves and holy figures away.
>>
>>2226028
Twice in the front door once through the window ac unit. It's a 1 story house.
>>
>plant roses, cactus etc under windows
>get some of that clear plastic stuff that they put on glass to keep it from completely shattering, I forget what it's called
>longer bolts in door frame
>Dog
>>
>>2226027
>Unfortunately I'm stuck renting it for another year and a half.
What kind of shithole do you live in where that isn't grounds to break a lease?
>>
>>2226027
>RENTING a house in such a bad neighborhood that it's not broken into once, not twice but THREE times
why are people this dumb
fucking MOVE
fuck your lease, pay the fines (or take the landlord to court and state your safety) and learn from your mistakes
can't believe you actually got cucked into a lease longer than a year in that kind of neighborhood
>>
Cheap motion detectors rigged up to a speaker to play angry dog sounds
>>
File: IMG_20211009_224935_726.jpg (90 KB, 1080x1080)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>2226066
>>
>>2226027
>make it through door
>met with 3/4 plywood
>aw fuck theres no getting into this fortress
Is that how you see this going?
>>
>>2226090
Why would burglary be grounds to break a lease? Do you think it's the landlord breaking in?
>>
>>2226441
Don't you need to be inside to lock/unlock those? He said he got burgled while he was away at work
>>
>>2226441
Thanks anon that's way better
>>
>>2226448
after having to make repairs to ones own home multiple times because of break ins, and the landlord wont permit anything to increase the security of the the home, it'd definitely have to see court but yeah I think OP could probably get out of his lease if he really wanted to
>>
>>2226066
For the window AC unit, you can literally just cut a block of wood to fit snug so that the window can't be slid open/the AC slid out. They could still rip the AC out and bring the window with it but at that point they could just break the glass on any other window

As for the front door, if it's been broken into twice I'm assuming it's just not up to the task and would need to be replaced along with the doorjam.
Speaking hypothetically, and assuming you do not live in the United States or anywhere booby traps are illegal, it would be possible to buy a 12ga shotshell trip alarm for about $100. If you superglue a half inch pipe from home depot to the front you have a single shot shotgun trap.
However, like I said, in the US, this would be illegal and you could potentially get probation if you kill a burglar with it. https://apnews.com/article/9a69c492e81887921e4e08c8ff0748d0
>>
>>2226690
>For the window AC unit, you can literally just cut a block of wood to fit snug so that the window can't be slid open/the AC slid out
thats not the way things work, they never pull the AC unit out, they push it in
>>
>>2226681
>after having to make repairs to ones own home multiple times because of break ins
The landlord pays for repairs, guy.

>and the landlord wont permit anything to increase the security of the the home
Unless the cause of the breakins is something uncommon and unreasonable like the door not having any locks, there's no responsibility for a landlord to provide a small fortress.

>I think OP could probably get out of his lease if he really wanted to
OP can probably get out of his lease by telling the landlord he's a broke ass nigga that's not going to be able to pay rent soon, but he'd be willing to let the place be shown to prospective tenants while he's still living there.
>>
>>2226027
you DO realize whoever is breaking in lives close enough to be keeping track of your comings and goings, right?
>>
>>2226699
>The landlord pays for repairs, guy.
they're not good enough to solve the problem
>there's no responsibility for a landlord to provide a small fortress.
nope but 3 break ins in less than a year is quite a lot and beyond average expectations for a renter.
>OP can probably get out of his lease by telling the landlord he's a broke ass nigga that's not going to be able to pay rent soon, but he'd be willing to let the place be shown to prospective tenants while he's still living there.
lol I've never seen a lease that forgiving
>>
>>2226066
>>2226027
That they are going through the front door makes it kind of fucked. Most break a window which means adding security film/window laminate is a game changer, since it drastically increases the time required to break in and can cause the burglar to abandon the attempt.

Is your door hidden from view? Or are you the only white man in the barrio?
I suppose adding a security bar to the door would help, but that could make using the door an ass pain for daily life.

Cameras or timer controlled loud devices (radio/tv) could help as a deterrent, but they already know you aren't home regularly. Cameras, even fake but obvious are probably the best bet since it makes sense
>>
>>2226714
>lol I've never seen a lease that forgiving
A contract for an uncollectable debt is worthless. You simply have to convince the other party this is the case, and they will become much more agreeable and willing to negotiate a new arrangement. A landlord's goal is not to enforce contracts, his goal is to maintain maximum occupancy of his units, with paying tenants. He will do whatever best helps achieve this goal.
>>
>>2226723
lol no anon, in america when you sign a lease you're signing a contract that says you WILL pay x amount of dollars each month for rent. And there are always stipulations for breaking the lease out of terms. Maybe some states have laws against landlords putting renters that don't pay in debt, but not where I live. You don't pay then the dollars stack up against you till you're evicted. Don't ever pay back what you owe? Have fun with dogshit credit.

Lying to your landlord for no reason telling him you wont be able to pay rent and need to break the lease is just retarded and you must have no experience renting or you only live in places that work under the table.
>>
>>2226734
>muh laws n sheit
People will willingly set aside contracts if you can convince them it will be less trouble and cost. Learn to negotiate, anon.
>>
>>2226027
Just kill the people doing it.
>>
get a Tile gps locator for 30$ hide it in something steal-able, when they steal it, track them down.
>>
>>2226843
This. Also make sure to burn down the entire structure they’re in and shoot any fleeing occupants. Dead check them too, you don’t want to leave any survivors
>>
>>2226847
i was thinking he would give their address to the police but ok.
>>
>>2226847
you're better off liquid-nailing the windows and doors shut while they are asleep before starting it on fire
>>
>>2226872
Clever
>>
move someplace else, retard
>>
File: 1625183153837.png (247 KB, 543x458)
247 KB
247 KB PNG
>>2226027
Buy a gun.
>>
>>2226843
Fuck, that's a really smart idea.
>>
Add an ADT sign, they want know you don't have it. And cameras over the doors with warning signs. The cameras can be broken with maybe one working that is well hidden. I'd recommend a Home Alone type defense but unfortunately that's "illegal".
>>
>>2226448
>Do you think it's the landlord breaking in?
Almost moved into a place with a friend that he picked out; landlord stole his big TV before I moved my stuff there.
>>
>>2226027
Where do you live? Are niggers or meth heads or someone else breaking in? This matters. You will need to tailor your defenses to the type of animal breaking in.
>>
>>2226027
get a dog

really, it's that simple. if you have a dog you are literally one of the best protected homes on whatever street you're living on.

aside from that, replace the door strike plate screws with longer screws. no one will notice and it makes it much harder to rip the plate out. also, install a deadbolt lock. those are notoriously hard to rip out and not particularly easy to pick if you get a good one with security pins.

as for windows, consider being extra careful to lock them. almost every window has some kind of lock. you could also put blocks of wood in between the upper part of the window and the sliding glass, so anyone trying to get in would have to make a fuckton of noise breaking the glass.

if you're worried about someone using a key to get into your house, you could make a key trap like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d4Leve0cfs after re-keying your door. that would make it so you could be absolutely sure someone is using a key to get in.

lastly: get a dog.
>>
>>2227704
>Add an ADT sign, they want know you don't have it
congratulations, you've now completely invalidated that strategy. people have known about doing this forever, but still, popularizing it just makes it so that you decrease the likelihood of someone paying attention.
>>
>>2228374
>bark bark bark bark bark
>>
>>2226027
protect yourself from nigras
>>
File: fuckyounigger.jpg (10 KB, 307x164)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>2228374
Correct answer. Uncle was a cop and police chief, two cousins are cops. They said the best burglar alarm is a german shepherd, and the sound of a pump action shotgun. Pro thieves and joggers won't fuck with anyone with a GS. Yappy purse dogs don't do shit.

If you're getting serial break ins, it's the same person, most likely. They know you're replacing your shit, so they know to come back. Just make it too much of a hassle to break in.
>>
>>2227056
how will that help if he's not home?
>>
Arduino with a camera on it running a script yhat has been trained to recognize humans and play an alarm
>>
>>2229689
>running a script yhat has been trained to recognize humans
How good are the open-source options these days?
>>
File: getThis.gif (181 KB, 120x90)
181 KB
181 KB GIF
>>2226027
>>
>>2228374
what about the whole carbon copy paper under your doormat,
would that even work to see if someone went through your front door and stood on the doormat.
>>
>>2226843
>track them down
and do what? Ask for your stuff back nicely? burn the place down and get an arson charge while the dindus play off a victim complex?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.