[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 85 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: hermle.jpg (1.01 MB, 2400x1596)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
This is the thread to discuss everything machining related. Lets talk about speeds and feeds, your shitty home brew cnc router and the bottom of the barrel pay this industry has.
>>
File: IMG_20211004_141353023~2.jpg (1.87 MB, 3111x2966)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
You do have a "you never know" drawer, don't you?
>>
>>2222606
What machine has the best return on investment. I've been learning a lot about machining the past year. If I bought an old lathe for $5k with tooling and maybe a bridgeport would I be able to make money? Would the only available work be repairs? I like manual stuff a lot more than automated, but I guess I'm just wondering if there is any money in it. I'm reasonably competent with diy stuff so I'm not worried about figuring it out.
>>
>>2222619
you need a gun in there in case the gnomes get out of your lathe
>>
How do I learn Solidworks without having to pay 8 grand a year?
>>
>>2222644
>would I be able to make money?
Maybe? If you're doing general job shop work, it's going to be rough, if you find a niche, you can make money.
>>
What is the cost of this huge turbo and how do I install it on my 2003 fiat Panda is the real question here
>>
>>2222644
You wont make any money doing manual machining with stuff like that. The only places you make money in manual machining is in really big stuff (IE large shafts used in industrial purposes) or doing high precision one off or low run prototyping, the latter requiring a lot of experience.

CNC is what you need to be proficient in for employment these days for most machining.

>>2222619
is that a cumsock under the odor eaters?
>>
>>2222909
Spare pair of socks. Having a bad day? Change socks on your lunch break. Makes a world of difference
>>
>>2222619
I went to work on site one time at a factory, which you would expect to be all working inside, but I've been around. As me and many technicians went to work in the blazing sun, I pulled out sunscreen from my Pelican case, everyone looked in awe as if I was some wizard for seeing that coming.
>>
File: crank_case.jpg (46 KB, 991x723)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>2222772
Pirate it. I pirated SW and Inventor.

If you can't pirate it get Fusion 360 for practicing, it comes with a free CAM add on too.

I am currently working on a radial engine in Fusion.
>>
>>2223004
can you run CAM from pirated copies of Solidworks?
>>
>>2222986
Makes sense, getting chips stuck in your sock will ruin your day pretty quickly.
>>
>>2222756
I think he does technically have a gun in there, at least legally. I see pin holes on that AR lower, so it's not an unfinished 80%. But he probably needs a proper fully assembled and functioning firearm in there, too.
>>
>>2223050
Im a diff anon, never pirated SW, but Inventor works completely CAM and all.
>>
File: IMG_20211005_175926.jpg (2.65 MB, 1872x3952)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB JPG
Cleaned out a friend's shop and found a ancient grinder.
>>
File: sw.jpg (19 KB, 560x338)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>2223050
You can, but you need to download the CAM plug in separately
>>
>>2223239
>>2223004
What differentiates Inventor from SW?
I'm learning Fusion 360 right now and think it's pretty cool, but I read a lot of people talk about how it's retarded compared to SW.
And the makerspace I just joined only has SW for their CNC machines area so I wanted to start using SW.
>>
>>2223537
Fusion is cloud based and is useful for group projects where several people work on something. But overall it is inferior to Inventor since Inventor has built in features for generating various mechanical elements such as spur gears, worm gears,etc and Fusion relies on the community for creating these plug ins. People generally say that Autodesk products are more intuitive than SW, but it all depends from person to person.

In SW for example you can rotate your model by clicking the scroll button while in Fusion you have to click the scroll button + shift, which is rather annoying. There are probably hundreds of these little details which make the workflow better in one program and worse in the other. I personally like the look and feeling of SW much more than those of Inventor and Fusion.
>>
For some reason despite Tornos being a swiss company they sent a mainland chinese repair tech out.

>>2223313

overhead belt/steam power back in the day must have been pretty wacky. especially since machinists wore ties back then
>>
>>2223699
I'm all for diversity and inclusivity, but damn why don't they have an episode where his tumor gets removed.
>>
how bad is this for a brand new lathe?
it doesn't look like normal rust from water, it looks like some kind of corrosive was spilled on it.
Most is on the chuck and ways under the chuck, but there is also some small pitting on the ways where the saddle will travel.
>>
>>2223710
Just take a Scotch Brite pad to it.
>>
After buying a couple of 3d printers and being underwhelmed by it all and wanting to make things from metal. Im thinking about taking dropping the cash and getting a Tormach pcnc mill? anybody have experience with one of those?
>>
>>2223768
They are cool as hell for what you get for the money
but you are going to spending $12k+ for one spec-ed to a point where its nice to use
>>
>>2223774
im thinking about that, definitely want the tool changer and such. Mostly wondering if theres any unexpected hurdles I would run into getting this into a home garage setup. I'm expecting to need an electrician to get me 3 phase power and more juice from my circuit, and pay to have tormach setup and test it. But other than that am i going to need any paid subscription software or can I use open source freeware with it.
>>
>>2223782
Tormachs run off 110v single phase
If you want to use 3 phase machines you can just use a VFD off your single phase 110v
>>
>>2222866
probably like $10,000 or so, depends on how nice you want the surface finish and how close to the cad model and the inspection process

material too but since it's likely jet engine related it's probably titanium or inconel or stainless
>>
>>2223710
yeah just clean it off, it won't matter.

unless it's actually pitted to fuck on the ways or something

get all the abrasives out from between the sliding surfaces before use though! rust is abrasive.
>>
>>2223710
Spray with corrosion preventive or heavy oil after cleaning and be sure to operate in a dry room with a dehumidifier if necessary. Flash rust sux.
>>
>>2223818
i think that's too big to be an APU and it's definitely not part of a conventional jet engine. probably stainless for a pump of some sort.
>>
>>2223858
oh yeah my mistake, jet engines don't use radial compressors like that they use axial ones
>>
>>2223785
110 or 220 (dryer plug)
>>
>>2223710
It wont affect functionality
But throw a HUGE fucking fit and threaten to return it, asking for a discount
>>
File: IMG_4321.jpg (2.24 MB, 3264x2448)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB JPG
>>2222644
Anon from Russia answer your questions.

>money from old lathe

Yes, it's really. You always have a customers who want Waste discs or cut threads.

If you want more money, You have to sharpen the foundation bolts.

It is not a problem to recoup one lathe.

Sorry for my English.
>>
>>2224169
Thanks Russianon. I’ve seen some good machinists on YouTube from Russia using inexpensive equipment. A lot of talent in your country.

What do you mean by “waste discs” and what is a “foundation bolt”?
>>
6 linear bearings tossing the 6 12mm steel rods and one spindle drilling holes makes this one of the horniest machines in existence
>>
File: 1557067716783.jpg (88 KB, 560x709)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
welp got let go from being a machine operator due to a lack of operable machines (maintenance and lack of barstock due to trucking being poolapsed), transport issues and for being "not a good fit with the company and not talking much" i,e being a femmy soft spoken twink who was shy and wasn't good at chit chat.

how the fuck are you supposed to start any kind of natural small talk when it is 85db+, half the people have ear pro and you have to walk completely away from your machines/benches to even get close to someone else?
>>
>>2224869
>the have to do drinking with union buddies to make an appearance
>hate drinking
>hate bar
>hate them
Reeeeee
>>
Wait, so loctite doesn't dry clear? I need to use #220 in a conspicuous spot
>>
>>2224869
>how the fuck are you supposed to start any kind of natural small talk when it is 85db+
have you ever been to a club?
>>
>>2224872
how can it be conspicuous when it's inside the threads?
>>
File: RPD_Blog_Hand_Scraping3.jpg (381 KB, 1599x1201)
381 KB
381 KB JPG
Is this modern art?
>>
>>2224888
No its timeless.

Modern art has no skill because it's just a token among super rich for money laundering/sex trafficking schemes
>>
if I'm cutting a metric thread is it safe to change the gear for spindle speed as long as I leave the half nut engaged?
>>
File: 1541542910496.jpg (26 KB, 616x434)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>2224876

yes and people can't hear me speaking there either :(.

As I said I have a soft voice and can't project my voice well because I'm a tiny twinklet and my shyness means I always felt too awkward to just rocket 5 meters to the nearest person and strike up random convo anyway.

I don't even care about losing the job as much as I care about the "not fitting in" aspect. It feels like all the effort I have previously put into building my self confidence and ability to fit into workplace banter has been brutally shattered.
>>
>>2224907
>>2224869
You talk at lunch time and other in between times like clocking in.
Fake it till you make it, dont kid yourself almost everyone else has a persona going on too.

>It feels like all the effort I have previously put into building my self confidence and ability to fit into workplace banter has been brutally shattered.
Anon, thats a throwaway line they use to try and make it seem like you are the problem instead of their lack of ability to keep work rolling. Tactic to keep you from seeking unemployment.
Every shop has assholes that everyone dosdnt like, quiet guys who just dont give a single shit about you or anyone else. And as long as they keep shit rolling, they keep their job.

Its not a social group, its a machine shop.
Nepotism does play its part for all the big brown nosers. But in this case its literally just a failing on the company itself.
They are going to wait 6-8 months (maybe more) before finding another warm body. Until then everyone will just take on your workload.
They are just pushing their luck trying to play the numbers game during this downturn.
>>
>>2224872
No, why would it?
It only dries when it lacks oxygen, aka choked out in the threads.
You put it somewhere visible where its not getting choked, its not going to dry.
>>
>>2224073
it was 4000 bucks and they only wanted to refund 300 bucks
the chuck is probably 150 bucks
its going back
feel bad for the trucking guy
it weighs 800 lbs and there is no good way to get it on the lift gate from where it was dropped
:/
>>
>>2223830
its not flash rust
someone spilled some corrosive chemical on it
>>
How the hell do I move a full toolbox to another shop?
>>
>>2225191
how would you move a mill to another shop?
>>
>>2224869
you must be knowledgeable in this

how can i find a muscular guy in his late 20s that can fuck my ass and also teach me how to work metal as well as he can work my prostate
bend me over the lathe and pay me minimum wage, daddy
>>
>>2225204
i can bench 1pl8 and i used a drill press once. a/s/l?
>>
>>2225200
25 very strong men and a large carrying platform, like how kings were carried by servants
>>
>>2224907
Last year I had an internship in a machining shop as CAD-et for 3 months.

I have social anxiety and when I would show up every day I wouldn't say "good morning" to the workers because I didn't want to make a fool of myself (it tends to be loud as you said, so your greeting is not heard anyways) and just went straight to the office. My mentor said to me that people noticed it and were complaining about it. One time one of the engineers came into the office and asked out loudly "Why doesn't he talk?" and the mentor replied "What can you do, it's just the way he is", which I understood as "He is a socially inept sperg".

Some coworkers would ask random question like "When will you get married", more as joke, I assume and I just said "when I save some money" even tho I never held hands with a female. The workers there were your typical small town, family oriented types of people who tend to be more relaxed/chatty and me being a city dweller who just wanted to mind his own business didn't help at all.

In the end I wasn't offered a long term position and I am certain that my personality was one of the reasons.
>>
>>2225206
drill press my butt haha
you are going to need a boring machine for this job brother
>>
>>2223647
You can change the shift click in preferences
>>
>>2225216
desu you just sound like more of a jerk than an actual sperg. Even if you only ever talk shop with the people you work with, how hard is it to at least crack a joke once in a while? Or ask a question?
>hey john. how's it going?
>did you ever do [X] that you said you were going to do? how'd that go?
You don't even have to give one flying fuck about John, his stupid life, how he is, or how [X] went. Just forget about it all as soon as you're done playing nice.
I'm the most antisocial fucker in the world, but even I can pretend once in a while.
Fuck.
>>
File: plasma.jpg (2.14 MB, 3024x4032)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB JPG
>>2222606
will this CAD design cut out?
the program automatically writes and formats the gcode. simulation seemed to work fine at 50% accuracy, its for a plasma CNC
>>
>>2225336
man straight up, its a license to be a fag. sometimes i just deflect personal conversation, even with people i want to talk to. Just say some typical workshit lines like
>Hows my weekend? Not long enough!
>Some weather lately
>thank god its friday
>righty tighty lefty loosy, thats what i always say
> fuck i hate young people so much
>>
>>2222619
>creamy
Shameful.
>>
>>2225216
Its really not hard to be a man of few words, you have to be tactful about it.
When people say good morning, just give a simple "hey" and nod your head.
KHV isnt that hard to lie about either, just say you recently got out of a really shitty relationship and cant deal with bitches right now.
That gets you a ton of leeway, when it comes up again in a year, say youve been going on a few dates and they were fucking awful.
It just stops being a thing you talk about after a while.

Small talk is easy, building a work persona is easy.
The problem is you have to be diligent from the beginning, if not you get blackballed. You fucked up from the beginning.

Youll realize people at work dont ACTUALLY give a fuck about your life, your girlfriend, your hobbies and ambitions. They are just bored as fuck at work and want to talk about nonsense to pass the time.
Its a game everyone has to play
>>
>>2225457
>how bout them "insert local nfl team"
>wow did you see "insert popular netflix show"
>i cant believe "insert car wreck from local news" happened!
>>
>>2225475
>>wow did you see "insert popular netflix show"
not even /diy/ is safe from squid game shills
>>
>>2225486
I was thinking more Tiger King, but sure.
I talked about Tiger King for weeks without ever actually watching it. Vagueness and letting someone else ramble on goes a long way
>>
>>2225475
The thing about Arsenal is, they always try to walk it in!
>>
>>2225489
>I talked about Tiger King for weeks without ever actually watching it. Vagueness and letting someone else ramble on goes a long way
If that makes you happy. I just tell people I don't own a television.
>>
>>2223004
is their anywhere to pirate the inventor cam program. I cant seem to find any reputable people like m0nkrus who have it.
>>
ugh you just wait and listen to what all the normies are watching and talking about and eventually you decide to check it out, sometimes it's retarded trash but sometimes it's breaking bad or game of thrones
>>
>>2225524
Thats not normal anon, the idea is to shut people up pretending to be normal.
>>
>>2225528
Use this at your own risk of course, this is a pajeet website.
But I downloaded the 2022 inventor off it and it works fine. It *says* its m0nkrus but who knows

Just download the 2022 11gb torrent, and the two 2022 update which are DDL not torrents.
Do not download the 2022 patcher, the license server emulator is already included with the torrent.
I use an airgapped PC so I dont really care about viruses if there are any.

https://shareappscrack.com/autodesk-inventor/?token=75639367
This is the same site I got Vectric Aspire (v-carve) from.
>>
>>2225471
interesting. I do hope I wont have to deal with similar things in the future.
>>
>>2225216
im kinda the same way
peter stanton made a couple videos about this and how his autism/aspergers would always make people perceive him as a giant asshole because he couldn't converse like other people in the shop
not being socially confident somehow triggers this instinctual aggression in other people, even people that aren't assholes outright, its like its hardwired in to take advantage of people with poor social skills
im still abysmal at socializing but I can manage to greet people and express some interest in their space, most people are attention whores and will greatly appreciate you asking the most mundane questions if it revolves around them.
best piece of advice i ever heard was that if you are the initiator in a social situation/engagement you have an immediate upper hand and it makes things a million times easier
IE never wait for the other person to say hello, always be the first and never hesitate, the longer you hesitate the more difficult is becomes
you can become a complete sperg and just really aggressively greet people and take them off guard and unsettle them this way, creeping people out in this regard is a million times better because they can feel a bit threatened by you instead of the other way around
its better to be super obnoxious to the point where you are fucking up other peoples owrk than quiet and introverted and being productive
normal people are faggots
i don't know why they act like this but they do
>>
File: Gal-Gadot-e1610811110154.jpg (515 KB, 2880x2190)
515 KB
515 KB JPG
My direct boss hates my guts (i make medical equipment for Stryker) but the head boss of the company loves me and it's all because I show interest. I don't think I've ever come in on time ever since I got past initial probation. It's been three years. I'm purposefully toxic and the Spanish women with fat asses love it. I grabbed my boss's daughter's ass and she giggled. He still invites me to lobster boils on his boat and golfing just because he deems me a cool guy. I don't even consider myself a top of the line worker, i just make it a goal to give a fuck about the people around me and they love it!
>>
File: file.png (174 KB, 200x356)
174 KB
174 KB PNG
>>2225848
>I grabbed my boss's daughter's ass and she giggled.
>>
>>2225369
your plasma doesn't have a cut preview?

yeah it looks like it should be okay depending on how it handles the bottom right and that seemingly closes off box inside the outer outline
>>
For CNC guys, what are the best and worst controllers in your experience?
I've done a little bit with Haas machines, but I'm on a Hurco with my current job. It's very user friendly, to the point that I'm concerned that If I need to work on anything else I will have forgotten what the fuck I'm even doing.
>>
>>2225369
>degeneracy

Hopefully, it won't. But without any further info other than "the sim says it will", it's impossible to say.
>>
I operate two big hurcos and love it. Ive ran stealths cincinattis and bridge port and was trained on fanuc but after learning conversational programming and all the editing features available on hurcos winmax system I don't want to run anything else again.
>>
>finally break down and say fuck fb and craigslist overpriced clapped out shitgarbage, I'm buying a fucking brand new mill
>find one I like and call and order it
>"we don't have any more available in inventory, but we have 3 more like that one on the ship that'll be here in about 2 weeks"
>ok sounds good
>about 2 weeks later
>"the shipment has arrived, the machines are going to go though inspection then get shipped, should take a week or two"
>ok
>3.5 weeks later
>"ok the machines are all inspected and we are Shipping them now, should ship out within the week"
>2 weeks later
>"your mill has shipped, should take about a week (truck freight coast to coast so reasonable)"
>1.5 weeks later
>"the trailer has arrived at the terminal, we will call when it's processed to schedule delivery"
>2 weeks later
>"it's ready for delivery, can you receive it early next week?"
>ok
now nearly 4 fuckin months later, Im over it and don't want the damn thing anymore. obviously I can't just return it. I wouldn't care too much if I didn't spend fuckin 4 grand on it (1000 lb bed mill). I'm hoping it arrives in chunks so I can send it back for a refund and just get an oversized benchtop model like I should have in the first place.
/blog
>>
>>2226439
i've only ever use fanuc but i like it
>>
>>2227088
you'll probably like it
>>
>>2227088
well if trade relations break down with China it will probably actually go UP in value

I guess hope they attack Taiwan or something.
>>
>>2222644
The true answer is it depends. There’s two paths i saw, one was to open your own job shop making things for other ppl. The other is to come up with some product or component you can make yourself and then sell as a product.

The second involves a lot more than machining but if you make parts for other people you can earn a reputation for making good stuff. Theres fewer machinists now than ever so demand is up.
>>
>>2227132
Not attacking taiwan until they finish reverse engineering the missiles and fighters they got from afghanistan so like 1-2 years.
>>
>>2227215
Honestly when I started my little business I thought a manual mill wouldn't make any money, but I was wrong. They absolutely can. Problem is still doing the things that are hard to do on them, like curves.
>>
thanks anons who told me to get some lakeside carbide endmills last thread.
the crazy-insane-o aluminum 3-flute rougher (or whatever it's called) let my harbor freight mini-mill tear through at least 0.050" facing off a slant to square. no chatter, no nothing. smooth fucking sailing doing that shit on a glorified router, fuck me
>>
>>2227233
yw
>>
>>2227088
based retard impulse consoomer who can't into delayed gratification
>>
>>2224888
nice, based jap scraping

aussie but I was taught in the modern American straight style, been trying Moore scraping on a recent mill rebuild but I struggle to shorten my stroke and it feels to wispy. also been enjoying swiss style pull scraping but I need to make some better hooked scrapers
>>
>>2225806
>if you are the initiator in a social situation/engagement you have an immediate upper hand and it makes things a million times easier
I had to work side by side and train a guy
As much as I dont give a single fuck, I routinely asked him about his airsoft and paintball endeavors that he would go on about. He would just ramble about it, and it was easy small talk. But holy fuck is it boring
>>
>>2225848
Do you work for Stryker or are you contracted by them?
>>
>>2227088
What model anon?
>>
Should I get a Sieg X2/HF mini mill or a Taig 2019/5019CR Micro Mill? (i'd be looking to convert to CNC)
>>
>>2227233
yea they are nice
i bought the 'firepug' steel rougher for my 300 lbs bench mill and I can actually mill steel on it now, still super slow but at least the whole machine isnt shaking.

>>2227291
>scraping everything even the non contact surfaces
thought japs were supposed to be smart

>>2227088
what company/brand was it?
>>
>>2227132
things are already going up
now is the time to buy shit
I bought a lathe in aug that was 3500, now its 4500
>>
hmm the coal and gas shortages are really starting to pile up

better fill up the tank soon
>>
File: 81QkNZ4SbDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (101 KB, 872x1500)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
Anyone used one of these Bosch 40 pillar drills before?

Need a pillar drill to make my CNC machine, which involves drilling largish holes in mild steel, but I don't want to buy anything too expensive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-parallel-quick-lock-clamps-cardboard/dp/B00766C1A8/
>>
File: IMG_20211011_145356087~2.jpg (978 KB, 3716x1188)
978 KB
978 KB JPG
I hate [REDACTED] people so God damn much
>>
>>2226439
Mitsubishi m70 controller is probably the worst most convoluted controller I have ever used. Loading programs is hidden in the maintenance section, I cannot find a coordinate page that you can manually zero out. When techs come in to service the machine, all they do is talk shit about how horrible a controller it is. Some of the easiest to pick up have been prototraks, and Haas obviously. The fanuc controllers I have used have been pretty straight forward also
>>
>>2227616
wow looks like your process isn't under control! we need you to stop deliveries and do 200 hours of paperwork to document why this happened.
t. engineer
>>
>>2227434
i have yet to mill steel but on the same spending spree that got me 2 lakeside carbide endmills (rougher and a rougher/finisher), i got a 4 flute cobalt coated niagara rougher which i think will do well on steel. but if your mill has trouble my little 130lbs. one will pray for death
>>
>>2227102
sure, for about a month until it just sits there becoming a dust magnet like my other expensive toys

>>2227132
oh it's already more expensive, the $4,000 I spent was on the machine and it's optional upgrades as well as the cast iron base and some accessories like a vise, and of course shipping. thank God no tax though. I checked back the other day for shits and giggles and just the mill itself in that configuration is now $4,000 on its own. it's nearly $1,000 more expensive to buy exactly what I did right now.

>>2227236
hey what can I say

>>2227388
>>2227434
precision Matthews PM 932m PDF (base 932 + mechanical quill feed, electric x feed and head lift. I posted here a handful of times about it before I picked and ordered it.
>>
>>2227395
Just buy the 5019 from the beginning.
Unless you have the means, and want, to build the conversion parts on a different milling machine, you will be stuck buying them made by someone else
That will add up quicker than you think.

The 5019 looks nicer than the Siegs do
>>
>>2227803
Once that baby is in your garage, all of your anger will fade away.
With how horrible shipping is right now, not at all surprised your big heavy shipment kept getting delayed
>>
how would one go about using 2 inch endmills with an r8 spindle? i know there are holders that go up to 1.5" but nothing larger that ive seen. do i have to make one up myself?
>>
>>2227920
how much hp do you need to even make use of those?
>>
>>2227920
I'd probably just attach one to a shaft and use it as a mace.
>>
>>2227961
yes

>>2227969
>not a drilldo companion, the endmilldo
>>
what's the difference between a no. 1 and no. 2 bridgeport boring head?
>>
>>2228054
the size of the gremlins that come with it?
>>
>>2227434
I'm white and australian, they're a reference surface. before the Y axis slides get scraped I scrape the Y ref surface so I can check alignment while I match the back of the knee to the column. there's no need to scrape the Z ref surface but you can tweak it with little care for depth of scrape and then use it to map out the flat ways. that Z axis ref surface was scraped with a custom granite spotting plate, precision level and planekator to check for twist and convexity. I wouldnt do this on a customers mill but this is a personal mill so i dont really care about the hours
>>
>>2228166
This is the most ugly scrapped surface i've ever seen. No wonder you guys can't build your own submarines.
>>
>>2228185
I think the scrape marks are just longer than most pro scraping, or something.

I would use a machine scraped like that, no prob.
>>
>>2228185
That was about 4 cycles in, I think this was the print at about 8 passes in. cradle was fairly low to the ground so very awkward to scrape. finished PPI was about 32ppi on the exposed ways and 40PPI on the rear of the knee before it was flaked
>>
>>2228187
This is a bit of Biax power scraping with a 60mm radius blade and about a 3/16" length if stroke. I usually finish scrape with the biax and its considerably faster but I am trying to get more confident in the moore style.
>>
Is there a more destructive force on earth than an immigrant day laborer in a CNC machine shop? Some of the shit I witness day to day is unbelievable
>>
>>2228319
Please post examples
>>
>>2228319
Do you have many Whites working the line? How do they compare to the Bean People? I hate foreign scab labor as much as the next guy, but I can also see sitting and staring at a screw machine for eight hours driving anyone with an IQ over 85 a little nuts after a while. Then again we all sat through school when we were kids, and most of us didn't fuck shit up too bad.
>>
>>2228319
>Hola señor, mire I broke el drill mill
>>
>>2228131
so no. 2 has a bigger head? i've seen listings for the no. 2 say 5/8" boring bars, do the no. 1's take 1/4 or 3/8 or something. no one ever says in their ebay listing.
>>
>>2227803
Looks good anon. I see it has a DRO. Does it have ability for CNC conversion? Have people put in ball screws?
>>
File: IMG_0374.jpg (66 KB, 640x480)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>2227803
Awesome mill for home use
I just bought the one 1 size smaller to convert into CNC
I was thinking about getting the 932MV but it would have been too much of a PITA to get into my basement in the winter.
My lathe I ordered took 5 months to get here, its the one above that's damaged, just sent it back today and hopefully they will ship a new one soon.

Just milled my first CNC sample part on a big old Prototrak at a makerspace
>>
>>2228434
looks like shit never post here again
>>
>>2228319
I got a few besides the classics, like ruining pieces and tools
>dump and mix sodas into the machine's lubrication because too lazy do it at a sink
>use grease cleaning cream to clean forks, knives and glasses
>uses dirty gloves to manipulate the controllers
this is one is great
>guy on his first day, dunno how, finds a wall drill bit and starts using it to drill stainless steel, surprised when it doesn't cut
>>
>>2228421
no I didn't get the dro version, it was on back order as well and plus it was like $600 for a $300 worth of dro I couldn't bring myself to do it. the only reason I got the pdf version over the basic like I was originally (other than the basic being back ordered as well) is that it's cheaper to get the PDF then to get the head and x-motor later and you can't add the quill feed later, at least not easily and definitely not cheaply. I believe you can CNC this model but the 940 is the more popular one for that especially because you can get it with hardened ways.
>>
>>2228567
the DRO they stick on their machines are trash
the membrane buttons always shit the bed
932 is a RF45 clone so any of those CNC kits would work, arizonaCNC has a kit made for 932 too
>>
File: 2w6u35w.jpg (44 KB, 555x294)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>2222619
Look at all the junk food.
>>
>>2228434
What is that part for?
>>
>>2226439
classic HAAS (pre-2005) is amazing to use
>>
>>2228602
part of a sneedposting rig
>>
>>2228602
its just a test in some sort of dense modeling foam
just some simple features made in fusion
pretty surprised it did everything I wanted it do do and didn't crash into the vise
it was one of these
>>
>>2228662
what did they change besides not letting you turn the spindle on with the door open?
>>
>>2228662
Interviewed at a place a few years back that did most of their toolroom work on an old VF-5 (I think at least), thing had the monochrome orange phosphor CRT display. Half the stuff on the production floor had "Y2K ready" decals slapped on them. The guys said it did everything they needed it to do. Ended up taking a job in a shop that wasn't stuck in the late 90s and instead in the mid 00s though.
>>2228687
I can't stand the electronic handwheels on Trak mills. Get the worst of both world of NC and manual; you're mechanical feedback is greatly reduced, and you don't have the fixed incremental movement from a typical NC jog wheel.
>>
how tall are people who program on the controller? I always hear people praise conversational programming on mazak and a few others, but I am a manlet and having to reach up to the panel makes my arm sore.
>>
>>2228783
Embrace your manlet and invent the milk crate.
>>
File: IMG_20211012_172826233~2.jpg (3.13 MB, 4640x3472)
3.13 MB
3.13 MB JPG
>>2227803
>Friday
>"hello this is freight co were ready to deliver, can we do it today?"
>no I'm out of town for the weekend but I'll be back Sunday so let's do Monday
>ok
>Monday
>hey calling to see if my delivery appointment was set up
>"no you don't have one, it says here you were going to be out through Monday so it wasn't set up"
>that doesn't make sense I told her to schedule it for Monday, but whatever can I do it for tomorrow
>"sure let me get the paperwork"
>...
>"I can't seem to find the paperwork in the office, I'll have to go out and figure out what happened to it. can I call you back?"
>sure
>hours later
>hello calling to see if the paperwork issue was resolved
>"we found the paperwo but the trailer on it isn't wrong so we're out here searching every trailer to find it, once we do we will call you back"
>oooook then
>hear nothing for the rest of the day
>today
>lll give them till about noon before I call
>literally and I mean -literally- at 11:59 right as I'm scrolling though my call history to dial the number
>"hello this is the delivery guy I'm about 15 minutes from your house blah blah gate codes and all that"
>ok cool but I never actually made the appointment, they never called me back for it
>"well they loaded me up and gave me your address"
>well it's our lucky day because i just so happen to be 5 minutes from home right now doing something for work, otherwise I'd be 30 minutes away on the other side of town, so I'll meet you there
>"ok"
>meet him there
>older black dude
>said he used to be a machinist for 15 years before truckin
>"child support and alimony on a machinists salary, couldn't afford that shit"
>make small talk about machining before he leaves then so do i
>>
File: IMG_20211012_221708887.jpg (2.28 MB, 1736x2320)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB JPG
>>2228837
spent the last few hours after I came home slapping her together and cleaning the cosmoline and metal dust/shavings off and got about half way done. I haven't taken a cut yet but I think so far the only thing I don't like is they changed the head motor switch from an on-off-on to 2 separate momentary buttons. I liked in the video reviews of the older revisions you could just flick it and it would automatically run to the limit switches if you desired instead of having to hold it for the like 2 minutes it takes to go all the way up or down. I think I might replace the buttons with latching ones or something. also I'll have to raise it up by like a foot because the table is right at dick level and I don't feel like hunching over to use this thing the entire time.
I have to say, I know it's a Chinese machine tool so presentation is optional but God damn some of the casting/paint of the smaller parts is horrible and it's already shedding it's cheap white paint and bondo like dandruff. I knew this was going to happen eventually but I thought for 4000 dollars it would at least make it to the first cut before it would get like this. also there are some rust and casting issues I'll be contacting pm about that I'll post here.
>>
File: IMG_20211012_174556122.jpg (2.26 MB, 2320x1736)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB JPG
>>2228846
this is the base, nice void they didn't even bother trying to fill
>>
File: IMG_20211012_174148799.jpg (2.12 MB, 4640x3472)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB JPG
>>2228847
this is the y handwheel shaft. guess they missed slathering it in Cosmo, or they ran out after putting all of it on the rest of the machine
>>
File: IMG_20211012_174154948.jpg (3.24 MB, 4640x3472)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB JPG
>>2228848
and I can't tell if this is rust or a poor paint job or bondo or what on the fine feed. there's a couple other shitty casting artifacts or poor finish on other controls like the drill press handle but I didn't bother with pictures.
oh and 2 more things I remember I didn't like, 1 the main power cable was only like 14 gauge I think, I would have hoped for at least 12 or 10 gauge with a 1.5 hp motor and power feed, and 2 the cable that goes from the box on be back to the switch panel is too short when you try to tilt the head if it's too low you won't have enough slack. I'm not sure when this would ever be a problem if ever but still an oversight that could have been fixed with an extra 2 inches of cable.
>>
>>2228846
>>2228847
>>2228848
>>2228851
Looks like a chinese mill alright
The worst part is that a Grizzly would have been twice as bad.
>>
>>2228837
Is this what boomers call a "blog"? My teacher taught me about these in history class.
>>
>>2228874
Go fuck yourself faggot
This general encourages actual OC
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (73 KB, 800x800)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>2222606
Can you use metric threaded inserts for unified threads?
UNC and Metric are both 60deg included angles so it should work fine right?
>>
>>2228876
as long as it isn't a "topper" style insert that cuts the front and back of the thread at the same time
>>
>>2228758
Yeah, it was strange feeling, especially on the Z where it would be easy to dent the part.
I looked up this mill and it was surprising to me that they are still made, I think one costs around $25k.

Isn't something like this super obsolete? Where would a machine like this be used to still make it sellable?
>>
>>2228847
Yikes. Thats pretty bad. Is that on the machine or base?

Your situation looks similar to mine with the lathe I bought from them.
They are supposed to inspect these things before shipping but they obviously aren't doing that.

I thought it was pretty lame to offer only 300 bucks back on the lathe I bought because of all that rust, the shipping they are paying to have that one returned and the new one sent is probably costing them over 300 bucks.
>>
>>2228870
oh I know all about that, I was looking at grizzly first and for the same four grand the best I could get was a tarted up 500 lb benchmill maybe with Dro installed

>>2228874
why yes, actually. and the funny thing is there's about a 98% chance you're also a millennial about as old as I am

>>2228967
that's the base. yeah clearly, I would say they're just giving it a 5-minute once over to make sure there's no exceedingly obvious damage, but that obviously that isn't the case since all these issues on yours and my machine are so apparent even in a 3 second glance even fuckin Ray Charles can see it. I have a feeling they're going to offer me the same thing, maybe a replacement y screw or something too. well I'm sure their margins more than plenty allow for exchanges, just like how shoplifting losses are rolled into prices at the store. I don't think they're hurting too bad over a few hundred bucks for one or two guys.
>>
>>2228981
Ah, that's probably not a big deal if it's just the base.
>>
>>2228592
Ok this looks pretty legit. I'm about to pull the trigger on the sieg x2 and converison kit, but this looks quite a bit better. Is the PM 932 w/ Arizona cnc kit the best bet for doing a small mill with cnc converison, or would the X2 be a better option? I'm >>2227395 anon, and I'm pretty torn right now
>>
>>2228434
I'm trying to do the same thing. What PM model did you get and which conversion kit did you get? Are you buying motors/controllers seperate from the ball screw assemblies?
>>
>>2228846
$4000?! for that? Fuck me, I'm going to go buy a $2k tree 2UVR mill just to calm my nerves. Or maybe a light $1.5k bridgeport, it's not too cold out yet for a little bridgeport.
Maybe after lunch I'll stop by the redneck part of town and nab a 3-ton Cincinnati, $3k should be enough
>>
>>2229033
dunno, ive emailed the arizona dude and he seems like a reputable dude, answered a ton of question fast
>>2229041
PM-30MV. It weighs about 530 lbs and goes to 3000 rpm so it should be ok for a descent amount of aluminum milling and some small steel stuff
>>
Fusion 360 is infuriating.
Do one thing, have to do it again, EXACT same procedure, and it won't let you. No constraints, should be simple, nope. Constraints themselves are so tiny and obscure you constantly have to zoom in crazy amounts if you are working a piece thats like 20 inches large. Selecting features is annoying as fuck and always picks something that is farther away from your cursor than the feature you want. Things disappearing, unable to see things in the past history timeline. Lofting makes me want to punch my computer. Constantly crashes. You need a super computer to run it if you are doing any sort of tool paths that aren't ridiculously simple.
This program sucks shit.
>>
>>2228981
>why yes, actually. and the funny thing is there's about a 98% chance you're also a millennial about as old as I am
Technically I am a zoomer, old man.

>>2229123
This is the one area FreeCAD is actually better than fusion360: all constraints are listed on the sidebar so you can access them without actually having to see them.
>>
>>2228990
it's not about whether it'll be ok or not, it's about how I bought a whole stand and I want my whole stand not 98% of it. plus it looks like it's more than 1/2 way through the thickness of that wall anyway.

>>2229058
must be nice

>>2229132
you listen here you little welp
>>
>>2229058
hahaha omg wow you got all the hookups and know alll the lingo
cool as a jalapeno fart
>>
>>2229058
The prices of brigdeports hasnt been under 3k for a while now.
>>
>>2229123
There is only one person in this general using Fusion360 my guy
>>
what's the thread spec for a r8 collet? I somehow fucked up my boring head and the draw bar won't screw in now.
>>
>>2229399
>paying $4k for a literal chink mill
>>2229456
I've found like 5 in the past month for below $3k, many below $2k, make friends
>>
>last hour of work
>grab some titanium chips from the program im running and walk around lighting them on fire
>get back to desk,
> my manager says " maintenance mananger and production manager were looking for you"
>they just wanted to show me this big praying mantis

work isnt gay every day

>>2229458
like 7/16 something stupid like that
>>
>>2229544
I measured my draw bar and it's .430-20 is that in tolerance of 7/16? should I get a tap or just try to crank a grade 8 bolt into it? it gets like 4 threads in and then seizes up. I tried brushing the threads out and it doesn't look like there's any crud inside.
>>
>>2229526
>I've found like 5 in the past month for below $3k, many below $2k, make friends
I mean you can say this, but literally nobody believes it, and for every person who does get a smoking deal the vast majority of the country isnt like this. Especially since "buy a bridgeport" has become a meme for even normies in the last 5-6 years.
Its along the same lines as /o/ saying "buy a $1000 civic"
>>
>>2229458
7/16x20 more than likely
is it one where you can unscrew the head from the shank? if so if its actually fucked just get a new shank for 20 bucks
>>
>>2229566
I don't think so. it's some enco branded one.
>>
>>2229586
well order a 7/16x20 tap, chase the threads and hope for the best then
>>
File: 9yp2ji1nx9p71.jpg (110 KB, 1080x626)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
How do I fix this?
>>
File: sheeeeeit.jpg (56 KB, 800x555)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>2229694
Well there's only one way for sure.
>>
>>2229704
is that snoop dog on the far left?
>>
>>2228325
There's several posts every thread about how awful it is working with temp agency non english speaking immigrant grunt work retards, stick around I'm sure more are coming.

Basically imagine a robotic arm with a drinking problem that is programmed to cause catastrophic failures/tool crashes at least once a week. Parts getting dangerously thrown, thousands of parts out of tolerance (with no way to reprimand), can't read or write (blueprint reading out of the question). They are complete fuckups, the only thing they excell at is happily doing the exact same motions over and over and over for decades straight with no complaints. The less thought = the better. I'm finishing out my last week at one of these facilities and I cannot wait to wheel my toolbox the fuck outta this shithole
>>
>>2227920
Why not just use a fly cutter, Even if you somehow magically manage to make some clusterfuck of an adapter to go R8 to that, you are going to have an insane load on the mill head and that whole assembly is likely to fuck off to nowhere.
>>
>>2229727
Man be gettin his sizzle on the crizzle fo sho
>>
>>2229457
What are you using then, wise guy.
>>
About to get a 15x40 monarch toolroom lathe for $1200. Any experience with these older monarchs, things to look out for?
>>
>>2229792
1- where is the fun in that?
2- i already bought them, why not at least try them out
3- im not actually intending on using them to their full capacity lopping off stock 1.5x5 inches at a time
>>
>>2230264
straight up theres 0 fun in uit anyways. 1" in an r8 fucking sucks because theres like no tool ridgitiy anymiore because its so far out of the spindle. stop buying things you dont need . better off making a spinde around those endmills
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi_ksADDF4E
this is a real big endmill
>>
>>2230264
Another thing to consider is the lower limit of your spindle speed. I did some work on HY-80 using a 1" endmill on a knee mill recently. Didn't have any real issues, but I was nearly bottomed out on the back gear to get nice chips. The motor sounded a little strained, but not horribly so. .015"-.020" width of cut, 2" depth, .005 theoretical chip load. I think I was using 50 SFM for spindle speed.
Would probably be fine for aluminum and soft steels though.
>>
>>2230280
how do i fit one of these drills to my minimill from Harbor Freight?
>>
>>2230640
3d printed adapter
>>
>>2230279
>>2230322
I bet you're a blast at parties. I paid nothing for those end mills, so it's not like I'm trying to use them seriously to get my money's worth out of them. seriously, I paid 15 fuckin dollars for all of them, they were on eBay auction and I was the only bidder. they're worth more in scrap than what I paid for them, and two of them were brand spankin new and never used still had the preservative oil on them. I would do it just for fun and so I can take stupid pictures, not because I actually have a need to evaporate material 1.5x5 inches at a time.
>>
File: reuntal big think.png (717 KB, 960x720)
717 KB
717 KB PNG
>>2223417

how do you guys manage to download .exe torrents and be sure it isn't a virus?
>>
>>2230915
You don't, life is short, live dangerously.
>>
>>2230915
Get your hands on a burner laptop. I got one for 40 USD off of craiglist, and pulled half a dozen more out of a recycling receptacle.
>>
>>2230915
You can’t connect to the servers or use online services with the program anyways, so just run it on a separate pc with no internet
Helps with distractions too
>>
>>2230909
based value minded cheeky tinkerer
>>
>>2230915
virustotal.com
>>
I need to drill some blind holes, and then make the bottoms flat.
1/4 and in brass.
Should I use a flat drill bit or buy an endmill?
I see a flat bottom carbide drill bit on eBay, was thinking about using that
>>
>>2231183
Quantity? If it's one or two parts, what I usually do is take two drills of the same diameter. Grind one flat, leave one alone. Drill your pilot hole with the chisel point, follow with the flat faced drill to flatten the hole. If it's a 20,000 part order obviously purchase a carbide flat bottom drill.
>>
>looking for quality drill index made in USA
>buy a cleveland brand 29 pc index online
>next day
>google cleveland brand drills, they are still made in the US but acquired by a chinese company in 2009 along with like 5 other US drill manufacturers

My battle with the bugmen wages on
>>
File: oldfukkenlathe1.jpg (177 KB, 960x1280)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
Gentlemen, Behold!
>>
>>2231703
>TDC is a vertically integrated company that maintains the highest quality standards by controlling the entire product manufacturing process from mining the ore, to making the steel, to fabricating finished goods.

Interesting
I impulse bought some Cle-Line drills because Lowes had a 15pc set on the shelf.
I did wonder about the whole "made in the USA with global materials" thing.
The index is pretty fucking shit.
>>
>>2231722
CORN!
>>
>>2231736
Glad someone got it.
Want to know something astounding? No marks on any of the controls, you gotta measure every time you cut or use an indicator. Thing still runs, though.
>>
>>2231722
>>2231746
How old?
>>
>>2227616
You left out E Stop.
t. safety guy

As an ISO guy I say write a Process Control Plan
>>
>>2231731
that sticker is a load of shit. it's literal legalese pilpul to let them slap on an American flag and made in USA on it. you know what it means? means the bits, index and box were all MADE in China, shipped over, and then everything was put together and packaged here by minimum wage Factory workers (if not even just by robots). that's what "made with global components" means most if not all of the time. that's what let's them get away with charging double or more of the chinesium next to it, because they're betting you don't know and will just see the sticker and go yep I'll pay extra for that! and that's a pretty safe bet to make. it's exactly the same as bullshit coupons that make some exorbitant savings claim but then have 2 paragraphs of exclusions in a 4 point font that make it not even worth the paper it's printed on
>*cough cough* horrible freight
>>
>>2231752
Pre-WW1 at the very least we can determine. The shop itself is from around 1900 but we don't know when the lathe came in. Originally ran on a lineshaft (which is still here) but had that electric motor slapped on since.
>>
File: 1612106832389.jpg (37 KB, 720x1280)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>2231758
Oh look, a retard who has never bothered to read the FTC website for specifics on country of origin label laws, and has completely made shit up in his head.
Even worse, he doesnt realize Obama cracked down on it and made the FTC labeling law much stricter than the original 1997 law was.

There is a reason that "of global materials", "assembled","processed", and "built" in the USA came out of nowhere about 10 years ago.
The wordage was cracked down on.

To be labeled "made in the USA", the raw materials have to be "virtually all" domestic, and the "substantial transformation" of those materials must be in the USA.
They make the distinction based upon the final total value of the said materials.

>The steel used to make a single component of a complex product (for example, the steel used in the case of a computer’s floppy drive) is an early input into the computer’s manufacture, and is likely to constitute a very small portion of the final product’s total cost. On the other hand, the steel in a product like a pipe or a wrench is a direct and significant input. Whether the steel in a pipe or wrench is imported would be a significant factor in evaluating whether the finished product is "all or virtually all" made in the U.S.

>A company manufactures food processors in its U.S. plant, making most of the parts, including the housing and blade, from U.S. materials. The motor, which constitutes 50 percent of the food processor’s total manufacturing costs, is bought from a U.S. supplier. The food processor manufacturer knows that the motor is assembled in a U.S. factory. Even though most of the parts of the food processor are of U.S. origin, the final assembly is in the U.S., and the motor is assembled in the U.S., the food processor is not considered "all or virtually all" American-made if the motor itself is made of imported parts that constitute a significant percentage of the appliance’s total manufacturing cost.
>>
File: clwon 3.png (302 KB, 560x640)
302 KB
302 KB PNG
>>2231796
So in the case of the Cle-Line drill bits saying Made in the USA of Global materials, thats a "qualified" made in the USA claim.
The "transformative work" legally must be done in the USA, so all the bits were ground in the USA, and they may or may not have forced the index to be "transformed" in the USA too depending on whether it was considered a substantial part of the final products value.

So the steel is from china, which makes sense seeing how the anon posted the company does
>"from mining the ore, to making the steel, to fabricating finished goods. "

Where retards get this idea that
>" the bits, index and box were all MADE in China, shipped over, and then everything was put together and packaged here by minimum wage Factory workers "
can be a qualified USA claim is beyond me.

When Dewalt says "built in the USA of US and Global Materials", there is still USA made parts in it, just not "transformed" in the factory.
When a brand goes and just says "built" without a claim of any US materials, then sure you can say its all chinese stuff, because it is.

But hey, good on you for hating on the last remaining factories.
How do you expect factory work and independence to ever come back if you are going to kill off even the basic assembling jobs.
Is that how you get momentum going?
>>
>>2229694
I cant believe this was upvoted to top on the reddit machinist forum
if this was on the reddit welding forum they would have thrown a fit
>>
>>2231803
Huh, based

I am now more confident in the quality of that index I posted about buying. I wonder if you could find a US-made drill set made from actual US steel, if such a thing still exists.
I was okay with it even after buying because it was advertised as Cleveland, not Cle-Line, and Greenfield Industries which owns those brands (and is owned by TDC) as well as Chicago-Latrobe says that "Cleveland" is their industrial/production tier brand, "Cle-Line" is more home/hobby/repair oriented. Chicago-Latrobe is somewhere inbetween

I might get one of those red box Cleveland sets as well, since they say "Cle-Forge" and that seems like a pre-2009 trademark of Cleveland's.
>>
>>2231803
it doesn't matter since the chink steel probably isn't even real hss. fuck china.
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (18 KB, 320x180)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
I have an idea for a tailstock mounted chuck, it's something I could really use when mounting pipes or something long that I can't center drill in the lathe
I'd buy one of those small chinese chucks, 80 or 100mm and machine a backplate with axial and radial bearings to be mounted on an MT3 arbor that would fit my tailstock
What do you think of this? I have seen CEE on youtube do it for his big lathe but haven't seen anyone do it for a smaller one
>>
>>2231992
Gonna have to try harder than that anon.
>>
>>2231796
>>2231803
i may have been wrong, but youre still a butthurt assembly line worker/chinkoid

>>2232028
yeah im thinking chinkoid
>>
>>2232021
Very good idea and quite useful. It would be a "live chuck" like a live center. Do it!
>>
File: MillingChipBooth3.jpg (93 KB, 904x678)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
vacuuming up a pound of chips spread across the floor in a 6 foot radius from my mill is getting old. I'm thinking of encasing it in a curtain (clear PVC like 1mm thick) on 3 sides and a small magnetic chip shield in the front to keep them contained. has anyone done something similar? i was going to attach the curtain frame to the rim of the stand unlike pic rel to save space and money and so the chips would actually end up in the chip tray rather than just around the floor.
>>
>>2232082
>yeah im thinking chinkoid
Yeah, you were also making a bunch of retarded shit up in your head.
Im starting to think you arent the most trustworthy or useful guy to listen to for opinions.
>>
2/3rds the machinists at my shop are quitting this week to go work a less stressful job for more money, one guy is going to assistant manager a Wendy's, I'm going to be a mechanic, other guys going to Amazon. Why are places so cheap they would rather outsource work for weeks until they find new employees to underpay, rather than pay skilled people more than $17/hr? Fuck this trade, fuck ALL carpet walkers
>>
>>2228847
this guy again. I emailed their tech support about the void and got a reply on Friday. the guy said "Casting voids are more common than you'd think, but it should have been filled. It will not affect it's use though.". basically, "oh yeah this happens all the time and we should have filled that gaping hole in the thing that holds up an 800 lb chunk of vibrating cast iron and steel with Bondo just so you wouldn't have seen it. still probably fine though." I told them that's a load of crap and a totally unacceptable answer and to come up with a better one. waiting on a response.
un fucking believable. with that being the case I can only imagine what my actual machine looks like under the paint and filler.
>>
>>2232517
>fast food manager
>mechanic (at a dealer or chain shop I'm guessing)
>fucking Amazon
>all less stressful than machining
not sure if you all are in for a rude awakening (especially Amazon guy) or your shop really is that horrible.
>>
>>2232531
All of those jobs are retard monkey work. No thought required. There is no reason to learn as much as is required to become a machinist when the pay is so horrible. Also the pay cap in this shithole is probably 18/hr for even programmers, it feels like I'm in Mexico.
>>
>>2231909
This anon again
Anyone know when cleveland twist drill left their original plant at 1242 E 49th street in Cleveland? The index I'm looking at has that address but it looks abandoned now. Cool masonry showing their old logo and stuff though
>>
>>2231722
Based
>>
im betting on a complete global collapse of the economy resulting in a great leap forward in which university professors, 'experts,' social tech, media people, journalists, et al are turned into onions green and manufacturing jobs become lucrative and sought after
>>
>>2232674
Nah. Ai and automation will ensure the richest .0001% will be pampered more than anyone in history could have ever imagined while the rest of us are free to starve, wage war on each other, and suffer/commit atrocities for our short miserable lives. All policed by drones, which will be broadcast to the rulers for fun. if you think I'm crazy you aren't paying attention
>>
>>2232531
Amazon drivers salary tops out triple what machinist salary tops out. You have also clearly never worked in a shop where 2 setup parts is a write up and a 3rd is automatic termination.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.23 MB, 1908x1170)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
any suggestions on how i can find someone to machine something based on a fusion 360 model without getting raped? i don't really know what i'm doing. pic related, it's basically a block of 6061 aluminum with some smooth bored holes and two threads. smooth bores have tolerances +0.2mm and the threads on the back are m3x0.5x6. i can redraw to make it cheaper/easier to machine but i don't really know where to go.
>>
>>2227920
They make endmill holders for r8 spindles. google "endmill holder r8 spindles" i probably wouldnt try that with a motor under 3 hp.
>>
>>2228876
The difference in relief between the two is that metric nominally has radial roots and standard nominally has flat roots. No one gives a shit though because the cutter will have a radius on it as soon as contact is made (if it was ground with a flat at all).
>>
>>2231183
Carbide needs to go as fast as it can go. It is not strong, just very hard. If you plunge it into a predrilled hole equal or less diameter it will break. Plus center cutting mills are way more expensive. Fastest and cheapest is flat bottom drill, even if you have to grind it yourself.
>>
>>2232708
they apparently top out at $36 an hour, at least in my state. if its actually triple, $12 an hour to machine is chinese sweatshop tier. maybe dont work in a literal slave driving sweatshop?
>>
>>2232853
r8 weldons only go to 1.5 inch unfortunately, ive looked high and low. probably because no one (else) is dumb enough to try it.
>>
>>2232813
did you try sending it to xometry oof guy?
>>
>>2232933
If you are really dead set on this, you might be able to bore out a 1.5" holder, at a severe cost to rigidity. Would be best to ID grind or hone the bore so you get a good smooth fit. You could probably also use an OD grinder to reduce the shanks on the endmills to fit a 1.5" holder.
>>
>>2232868
It's only a 1/4" hole. I would probably just plunge with an endmill. You can get double sided HSS for about $20 a piece, which I think would be fine if it's a short run and it's not too deep. You're looking at closer to $50 for carbide, but that might be overkill for this guy.
>>
>>2232980
I thought about that but I doubt the od of a 1.5" holder is even much larger than 2", if I bored it out it would more than likely just end up a ring of sheet metal. I would have to actually make it, if I were to actually do it I would probably get a blank arbor with a j taper or shell drive, make the Holder separate, weld it together and then finish to size to make it as concentric as possible.
>>
>>2232708
What kind of shit hole shop do you work at?
>>
>>2233011
The 1.5" holder on McMaster has a 3" outside diameter, but that might be too little.
Just spitballing, but how about getting a 5MT 2" holder and turning the taper down to 3MT to fit into a regular R8 adapter? My gut feeling is that 3MT isn't beefy enough, and it would need to be welded or brazed, but that would almost certainly introduce dimensional changes.
The J taper arbor idea might be the best way to go.
>>
>>2232526
Demand they send you a replacement or you want a full refund.
>>
>>2232934
$73 based on their economy CNC service. seems like a lot. this part wouldn't take very long to manufacture on a manual machine. i need to get my own mill.
>>
File: Sebastian_Cabot_1964.jpg (42 KB, 342x428)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
After reading the anons above talk about small talk and being social in the shop, I just had a really weird memory pop up.
Early on when I worked at a different machine shop, the owners son who ran the place was forced to come out and run a machine. His fault for not getting enough warm bodies after someone got fired and another guy quite. He was like 32, so just a bit older than most of the guys.

Its a laid back place with a decent amount of younger guys.
I was just shooting the shit as usual with a coworker, we had been talking about older disney movies, because he was showing his kid his favorite disney movies.
So we got to talking favorite disney movies and characters, kind of talking to other people and asking them their favorite characters.
Its interesting, because every time someone gives you an answer, it just clicks makes sense the different personality types picking certain characters.
Sure its dumb, but shop talk is always dumb.

Well since the bossman was out running a machine and was within distance, we asked him.
He's approachable enough, and it was a move to acknowledge he is out there and sort of downplay it.

Everyone else thought for a second, gave a pretty quick answer and a reason.
Mr. Bossman was dumbfounded. Like he genuinely got a blank look on his face and was speechless, and kept saying what? Idk?
He acting like it was the craziest thing anyone had ever asked him, and he just didnt know what to say.
After a long awkward while, he said "I guess the old steamboat willie mickey mouse"

Its hard to explain how weird the situation was, and how incapable he was of just being a normal human being.
Fitting in shouldnt be that hard, and it just further reiterated the line between the owners and the lowly shop workers
>>
>>2232517
Right before the pandemic hit, I quit a shop.
The owners were retards who refused to replace others who had quit, and the wages werent all that great anyways.
It was the type of shop the hires a lot of young guys with no education or experience, and they fall into the trap thinking they need to be loyal or thinking they cant move anywhere else.

There was like 4 of us who would complain amongst each other all day about the red flags from the ownership.
How everyone wanted to just quit for this reason or another, and "if _____ happens one more time im quitting"

Well the second I job an offer from another machineshop, I dipped.
And I know that another one of the guys quit like a week later to go back to bartending where he made more money, and another guy went and got a job at the local steel mill.

Then the pandemic happened like 3 months later.
I know the shop moved to another location and really downsized. I wouldnt be surprised if it has shut down completely at this point.
>>
>>2222772
city or comunity college class.
>usually free or cheap and finaid is available {free money} {richfags can tax write off the tuition and class materials}
>acess to solidworks desault systems cloud shit and latest version as a student
>at the end of these classes you get to take a solid works certification test, you will find a job doing cad with this cert.
ive done this and worked as a drafter for a few years.
>>
>>2226439
>best to worst
Haas, fanuc, mazak, okuma, all fine.
Agie charmilles UCP Vario, weird but powerful.
Agie classic cut wire EDM, very annoying and autistic, usable with more training.
Fagor: a fucking piece of shit cobbled together with bottom of the barrel retardation fucking nigger "huuuuuuuurrrr eetz so seeemple" hand-holding fucking faggot controller I HATE FAGOR SO FUCKING MUCH AADDJDHDGSAGATERRURKFJCMCJDCN
>>
>>2232813
that would take someone with a manual mill about 30 minutes to make.
>>
I need to make this tiny little leaf spring what is the best way to do it? should I super glue it to a bigger block or try to do it with metal shears? I got some .025 annealed 1095 sheet to make it out of.

>>2233413
am I just slow because it would take me at least an hour problably. you need to square it up, drill the top holes, maybe reaming or boring the bigger ones, drill and tap the back holes, and pocket the other side. it's 7 tools minimum plus an edgefinder for every setup.
>>
File: Untitled.png (14 KB, 1446x939)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>2233551
>>
I wonder what cnc router anon has been up to.
>>
>>2233551
Using a mill stop would cut a lot of the time to set up. I'd also suggest using an indicator rather than an edgefinder for picking up origin, especially if it's in the center of the part. Sweep one side and set zero on the indicator and on your mill, move to the over side and sweep again, once you get zero on your indicator, note your position from the zero you just set on your mill, and cut that in half. That is your center point. I hope that makes sense.
Your pocket geometry also looks like it might be impossible to machine.
>>
>>2233655
it's not my part but I think the pocket breaks through to the 3 holes drilled from the top. they are flat bottomed though so you would have to follow with an endmill or something.
>>
>>2233664
Ah, I see. Getting the bottom of the holes flush with the pocket walls might be finicky, but it's doable.
>>
>>2222772
You could have a free sudent version loaded with all the bells and whistles for the price of EAA membership ($40/year) up until recently, but they switched the deal to their new cloud shit for half the price since. The cad part itself works pretty much the same so it's still good for learning and is quite affordable ($100/year with $10 off effectively with EAA membership), but I hear it's rather useless for practical things because you can't save part files locally to take it to a workshop for example.
>>
>>2233718
>workshop
*machine shop
>>
what's the "best" way to run a face mill? high or medium or low rpm? high doc low ipm or a low doc high ipm? is it normal to sound like a fly cutter where the "thunk" when it takes a cut is spaced out instead of being rapidly one after another as you might expect (maybe one cut revolution vs rpm*# of teeth per rev)?
Its a 3-inch 90° 5 insert face Mill on a half ton 1.5 HP machine, so it's not the biggest thing ever but it's no harbor freight mini mill. I do .02 doc .1 ips 350 rpm in aluminum which works well enough even taking a whole 3 inch cut but it does start to test of the rigidity of the machine especially when it hits an interrupted cut but is otherwise manageable. would that be considered too extreme? I'm asking because I figured hey it's aluminum, more rpm means more gooder, but going up the next gear which is 670 rpm the same exact depth and feed the machine is quite unhappy rigidity wise. power wise it couldn't give a fuck, it's got a mechanical gearbox and an 1800 rpm induction motor so torque isn't an issue, but the headstock wanting to whip back and forth is.
>>
>>2233413
Maybe, but no.if you quote your shop like that you will not be in business long
>>
>>2233865
I don't own a shop. Just saying how easy it is to make that part so cost would be low. He could pay some hobbyist to make it.
>>
>>2233551
I don't think you would need an edge finder on every setup, just 2, with a DRO this is easy as fuck to machine the positions
30 min nah, your right about 1-2 hour
im just a hobbyist
maybe some pro can tell me how right or wrong my idea of how to do it is

square stock to dimension 20 - 30 min
indicate side that needs milling 2-3 min
drill hole to depth of one of the 3 holes on the other side so you can get an endmill in there
mill pocket 20-25 min
turn part
indicate 2-3 min
spot 2 min
drill 1 stub 3 min
if high precision needed endmill to depth of nose of of jobber drill 3 min
drill 1 5 min
ream 5 min
spot
stub
endmill to depth of nose of drill bit
stub/endmill again
drill 2 5 min
ream 5 min
3 holes drill 3 10-12 min
I dunno how you would do those flat edges at the ends of the 3 holes into the milled pocket other than a super long skinny endmill
flip part to back
drill procedure there
so maybe more like 3 hours from all the annoying tool changes
thats my estimate from using a small hobby or bridgeport
using something with set offset tool holders and power draw bar would speed things up by a lot
>>
>>2233886
looking at that i meant 3 indications
do all the spot drilling in 1 op per face

maybe i should do this as exercise if if i could get dimensions, although i don't have metric drills or endmills
>>
>>2232707
probably
>>
>>2232813
whats going in the bores?
>>
>>2233892
2mm bore: capillary tubes
4mm bore: pt100 probe
6mm bore: 70w cartridge heater
>>
>>2233413
>30 minutes
With a gun to your mother's head, you could not make this part (in tolerance) in 30 minutes
>>
What are you guys' opinion on those cheap 3018 cnc on amazon? They're only $140 and I've never owned a cnc so I kind of want one.
I'm planning on using it mainly for pcb design and maybe some acrylic cutting.
>>
>>2233910
is this for a 3d printer?
>>
>>2233923
no, a melting point apparatus. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melting-point_apparatus
>>
>>2233914
They're cheap for a reason.
They're pretty much only good for some very light engraving or laser. I've seen people tying to mill aluminium with it but it was a complete joke.
>>
Is it worth trying to become a CNC machinist nowadays?

I've been a welder for three years, recently I've landed at this bullshit shop hired me as a stainless tig welder, but there's basically no welding to be done 99% of the time so I've become a button pusher for the machinist running parts on a Haas mill.

Local community college has an online CNC program and an on-campus manual machinist course, and most welding jobs are trending towards bullshit MIG jobs that pay less than delivering pizza now.

Machinists go through a training program and then a 4 year apprenticeship right?
>>
I have to mill some 110 copper, H02.
I've read conflicting things, some sources say just treat it like aluminum, some say it's a gummy nightmare. I'll be using a Haas mill with flood coolant.
Lots of small features, mostly 1/16 and 1/32 end mills, no deep hole drilling.
Any wisdom?
>>
>8-36 screw
>3mm cap socket
god I hate the metric system so much. who the fuck is responsible for this and why hasn't he been publicly executed yet?
>>
I was talking to a old-timer today that said he used to machine something called Stoody that was worse to machine than inconel. So I looked it up and it turns out if it's some kind of cobalt alloy that's used for hard-facing tools by brazing.

https://youtu.be/X_StTB8uHVg
>>
>>2234306
I used some Inconel and then Stoody rods to repair the chipped face on one of my old anvils. Hard stuff, worked great for fixing a cast iron body with a tool steel face
>>
>>2234306
we use the stick welding version of that at work to hardface all of the buckets and teeth and shit on our machines. expensive as hell but it definitely lasts, and of all the things to buy once cry once (a year), it's on a welding project that can take 3 or 4 days easy. don't wanna fuckin do that shit again in just a few months or even weeks.
>>
>>2233839
Sounds like your machine has a serious rigidity issue, at those speeds and feeds your chip load per tooth is very light. You got pics the machine?
>>
>>2234269
You can literally walk into half of the shops already, just say you have experience already and want to learn.
The returns on the degree at this point might not be worth the time sink
>>
File: IMG_20211021_141547.jpg (330 KB, 1936x2592)
330 KB
330 KB JPG
What's the use for this ? It's a carbide ball brazed on its support.
>>
File: mace.png (1.11 MB, 821x666)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB PNG
>>2234572
>>
File: IMG_20211021_142138.jpg (254 KB, 1936x2592)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
>>2234574
Uuuh...
>>
>>2234577
Its for ants
>>
>>2234577
>>2234572
Its just a carbide burr my guy
>>
>>2234580
That's what I thought, but it was stored with the small endmill and the cylinder is little big for a dremel, but I guess you're right. ty
>>
>>2234582
looks like a quarter inch shank, a standard for die grinders
>>
>>2234269
You can teach yourself a huge amount of CNC by yourself with a home mill CNCed and just online stuff
Thats about what you get from education probably, the crucial stuff only comes from experience in actual shops
>>
File: file.png (2.51 MB, 1511x849)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB PNG
what bit is used to machine this? it has smaller gear tooth attached to larger gears. I had no luck using an indexer on lathe.

I have 3 axis cnc milling. is this achievable for my equipment?
>>
>have to program shit like this by hand on a weekly basis
>"CNC programmer"/shop manager can't do it because he's only memorized which buttons to click in Gibbs to convert model to program
>Get told that getting the license for the 4 axis live tooling upgrade in gibbs is too expensive to be worth it, and training me on it would be too expensive
>Get told I have topped out for pay as an operator, and that I'm technically not a CNC programmer despite being forced to make this shit all the time
>I handle more program writing than the shop manager/CNC programmer
>Continue to be forced into prototype making despite being hired as a button jockey
>Fine, fuck you. Put in my 2 week notice
>Learn today that they have purchased the live tooling softwares, and are sending the shop manager/programmer to trade school for a week to learn how to do via clicking shit in the right order what I was doing with my brain
Why? Why are they like this? I am in my mid 20s, does it get better with age?
>>
>>2234686
Nepotism
> I am in my mid 20s, does it get better with age?
Only if you find yourself the right hand man of mr bossman
>>
>>2234506
it is a PM932 (I'm >>2228846). watching videos on it before I got it everyone seemed to like it, except for one guy who actually ended up getting rid of it and upgrading to a knee because he said it had rigidity issues from it being a square column with such a heavy headstock. I figured because he was the only guy that said that he was just trying to take retard cuts or something and wrote it off. he also had the PM 940 which is a slightly bigger slightly heavier version (1200 lbs). well I guess he wasn't wrong. however it should be said I did decide to yolo it and throw the fucker in overdrive which is just shy of 2,000 RPM, and it seemed pretty happy with it at the same depth and speed except for the inserts or the work getting so hot there was that smell of warmth in the air, so I went down to high 2 which is about 1200 and it's pretty good, still vibrates a bit but it's just a light general vibration in the machine not it trying to shake the floor. there's even a little steel plate bolted to the bottom of the head or the drain plug is for some reason, and starts to sing when taking the cut but I still can't help but feel a machine this heavy with this much power should be able to take a much heftier cut without the column vibrating like a spring.
and yes, I did have the headstock Gibs locked.
>>
>>2234506
oh and the quill, that's locked during the cut too and I have the head right close so I'm only using about an inch and a half of travel max so that should be plenty rigid I think
>>
>>2233839
>670 rpm the same exact depth and feed the machine is quite unhappy
Small machines need more trial and error to find settings that work. It's not even the low mass but often badly fitted gibs and ways which limit rigidity. 3" is already a very big cutter for a half ton machine but should work ok in alu. When you double the spindle rpm you should also double the feed. Which already seems quite low to begin with (0.1ips = 6ipm?). Maybe the inserts are only rubbing because they don't get enough chipload.

>is it normal to sound like a fly cutter
No. It can happen when the inserts are at different heights or there is runout.

I don't have a 3" facemill but i have a less than half ton (RF45) and it does about .120 doc with 12IPM, 600RPM with a 40mm HSS shell mill in alu. I know the z axis has a very bad fit though. Not sure how many teeth probably more than 5.
>>
>>2234745
Take it off that wooden pallet if you can and set the machine on the concrete. That'll help with rigidity. If possible bolt it to the floor too.
>>
>>2233132
>Mr. Bossman was dumbfounded. Like he genuinely got a blank look on his face and was speechless, and kept saying what? Idk?
Because it's a dumb thing to care about IMO.
>>
>>2234643
looks like a transmission of some description, so one piece and likely came from a forged blank. id say hobbed, but even that bit of space inbetween the teeth doesnt look like enough space to fit it unless its a very small hob. im GUESSING it was broached in a similar fashion as https://youtu.be/XZgsV0AZJJ0?t=135 @2:15
>>
>>2234793
base isnt flat, the machine can rock a tiny bit. i need to get leveling feet. also its post tensioned so to bolting unless i want to condemn the foundation

>>2234765
>3" is already a very big cutter for a half ton machine
wow really? pm says they recommend up to 2.5 for it, i didnt think the extra half inch would make that big of a difference (thats what she said)
>When you double the spindle rpm you should also double the feed.
ok ill give it a shot and try not to yeet an insert or the work into my chest
>Which already seems quite low to begin with (0.1ips = 6ipm?)
yeah it has .1 inch per rev screws and the handle is spinning almost exactly once per second. and it probably is slow but thats what i felt comfortable with when sneaking up to a speed until the machine started to seem unhappy
>>
>>2231758
Cle Line bits are made in South Carolina. Yes, the retail indexes are shit.

All HSS comes from China. All of it. The geometry makes the difference between asian manufacturers
>>
>>2233886
I would do:

Prepare all needed tools: 5min
Edge find vise back and stop: 2min
Mill sides and top of stock: 2min
Drill and tap M3 in on top side: 3min
Deburr and 180° flip part: 1min
Cut bottom to size with measuring: 2-4min
Deburr and flip 90°: 1min
Spot drill all holes: 2min
Use carbide drill for bigger holes/drill and ream: 2min/4min
Drilling small holes slowly so drill doesn't wander off: 4min
Flat bottom drill to right depth: 2min
Flip part 90°: 0.5min
Rough out pocket: 5min
Measure/correct depth: 1min
Finish pocket: 1min
Manual deburr/chamfer: 2min

You can definitely do it in 30min especially if accuracy is not that important. Then you can skip all depth measurement. I just bottom the tool on top off the part, zero my quill DRO and trust that it's going to end up in the right place. That's often good enough unless you need to hit better than 0.05 mm. The same with squaring the stock. I wouldn't do 5 sides in one go in a precision part but for stuff like that a little tool deflection doesn't matter. Edge finding is not that slow but annoying. If i didn't have a vice stop i would make one first before starting the part.

If you don't have flat bottom drills or extra long endmills it immediately at least doubles the time. Also i would do a test piece first to check how much the small drill wanders off.

I wouldn't mind the tool changes. If everything is prepared it's less than 10s for changing the tool in the chuck or under 20s for changing the holder.

In my homeshop i would take an hour because why rush it and i probably had to cut from unsuited stock. Also i wouldn't do it at all without a DRO. That's torture.
>>
>>2234962
how do you change a tool holder in only 20 seconds? it takes me over double that.
>>
>>2234989
If you have a hydraulic draw bar it is something like 20 seconds. If you have to break out the step ladder and use a spanner and the spindle break, that shit takes forever
>>
>>2234765
gotta say, you were right about the feed rate. i cranked up the power feed and now its a monster just tearing through with the same minimal vibration. i did 2000 rpm 30 thou depth about 1.5 inch cut width with the pf dial on 9 (idk the ipm) and it just sailed through. i did it also at 1200 and it was just as good. i even did a 50 thou cut and it ate it up no problem, although i bitched out and turned down the feed to 5.
>>>/wsg/4174855
>>>/wsg/4174859
>>>/wsg/4174861
like i said the ringing is that stupid little plate. im going to line it with silicone or something so it stops.
>>
>>2234989
I can reach the drawbar from my normal working position and have the wrench and toolholders always in reach. If i have to pick up a tool from a cabinet it obviously takes longer. Or if i actually feel something when wiping the taper and wipe it 24 more times and just to be sure. Maybe it's also a thing with the toolholders? I have mostly DIN69871 with a drawbar adapter but also some older ISO40 with cylindrical extensions and a few of them take a lot longer to screw in.
>>
>>2235045
I got r8 collets and it's a pain in the dick. I'm a manlet and there's a 6" spacer under the turret so I have to climb a ladder just to reach the draw bar, then unscrew it, knock it loose with my dead blow, climb back down, grab the new tool, and do it in reverse to put it in.
>>
>>2234582
You can load it in a machine just like an endmill. Some shops use them for deburring cycles after finishing, and I've heard of a guy using one to plunge through a broken tap.
>>2235032
A lot of people, even people who have been machining for decades are stuck in a "low and slow = good" mindset. Sometimes you just need to plow through.
>>
>>2235069
why not get an er collet system or a power drawbar attachment then
>>
>dumb fuck gets set screw stuck and then strips the head trying to unstuck it
>try the old hammer torx bit in trick
>bit fucking snaps when I try to crank it out
>now have to drill out hardened bit + fairly hard set screw
I managed to save it but fuck this was the most stuck shit I've ever run into. usually the drill grabs onto the remains of the screw or at least you can pick them out with an awl but this time I had to run a tap through to recut the threads. lucky there was just enough above where the screw was the tap could pick it up.
>>
>>2225762
Not deal with what, people? Is your goal in life to be an NPC? Trades aren't like the customer service industry where you sit and just put in your time. It's equal parts your life. You get to know the people you work with because, like it or not, they impact your life.

If the new guy walks in and keeps to himself it doesn't sound to me like he wants to learn from the old timers. I get involved with as much as possible to learn the field. Standoffish people are deliberately isolated and less likely to help the rest of the team or pick up slack if unexpectedly shorthanded.
>>
File: _7-49 screenshot.png (600 KB, 854x480)
600 KB
600 KB PNG
>>2234949
can I use carbide bits to shape/broach gears? I can't really find "shaper bits" and it seems its not even its name because when I go to amazon or other sites, the keyword gives me women's dresses.
>>
>>2222606
i am an electromechanics bachelor student, did i make a mistake ? at least im not in debt the degree cost here 2k/year for 3 years and i can make 5k/year with student jobs
>>
>>2227512
can you get it in blue? blue bosh it better then green bosh generally speaking
>>
>>2230915
use a burner labtop or vm if its a program that need better then potato specs
>>
>>2235174
>I can't really find "shaper bits
Don't you just take a HSS blank and grind it to whatever shape you need?
>>
>>2227512
this shit look like a toy. find yourself a drill that look like pic related.
>>
>>2234806
Nobody expect you to “really care”, it’s frivolous small talk. Normal human interactions.
It’s very odd when you lack the ability to do so.
>>
>>2227512
It's definitely not suited for any kind of precision work. The head is not very stable around the column and there's nothing you can do about it, and more importantly the chuck has like half to a full millimeter radial play at the end by design: there's a plain deep grove bearing at the bottom and ringless needle bearing at the top, no preload or adjustment or anything. Some people apparently won the tolerances lottery, but mine wobbled like all fuck out of the box. It's not that much of a problem actually since the drill stabilizes itself once it goes in, just don't expect the hole to be at the exact place you want it to. The insides are basically of the corded hand drill and it sounds like one as well.
On the pro side it has quite a bit of oomph, and you can lift it with one hand.
>>
>>2235001
what the fuck are all those bridgeport clones thinking of with continuing this bullshit
I have some protolight small cnc mills that takes these small taper holders and its just a simple lever that pulls the holder up into the spindle
takes 10 seconds
a power drawbar is a big annoying thing to add and they always cost like 1000 bucks
or you can make a bullshit one with a small impact wrench fixtured on the bar end
>>
>>2233132
his mind was probably racked with anguish trying to out compete chinks for pennies on the dollar

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.