[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 39 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 3724-td4-b01.jpg (317 KB, 960x720)
317 KB
317 KB JPG
Anybody have mini tractor experiences around homesteading? Thinking about improving my land more than a garden tractor would be able to do.
I hear all the talk about three-point hitches but all I've ever used is a pin hitch.
Any must have attachments? I was thinking about a moldboard and harrow discs, along with a box blade. Not to mention a loader bucket.
A neighbor is selling an old Kubota with a mid mower deck and figured I would kit it out over time.
>>
File: 0818_b01_beauty_0023.jpg (142 KB, 1000x667)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
Kubotas seem to be the end all be all of mini tractors. I've heard not so nice things about Deere.
>>
File: h310-1570.png (643 KB, 1245x830)
643 KB
643 KB PNG
I was planning on going with a garden tractor before I realized what I could get in an old mini tractor for a good price.
>>
File: soy_deere.png (1.56 MB, 1443x1060)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB PNG
>>
My Cub Cadet LT1045 is getting on 20 years and the Kohler Courage is a bit leaky. Thought it was time for an upgrade.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (144 KB, 1280x720)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
if you are mechanically inclined just get an old farmall cub or an A, compared to a new kubota they are dirt cheap, and if properly fixed and taken care of they last forever, impliments arent easy to find in good condition though
>>
How much property are we talking?
>>
>>2219921
>How much property are we talking?
Just 4 acres, but I have lot of unused land that I can change from wild growth to usable land.
>>
>>2219927
I responded to your thread on /o/, I have a tracked skid steer, I'm on 11 acres though in the woods. 4 acres is pretty small to get much use out of a farm tractor unless it's all flat and open. It's a pain to clear anything out substantial with a farm tractor, but at the same time a skid steer is total overkill for 4 acres you could clear an entire wooded lot with a masticator/brush mower and clean it all up in a weekend (makes more sense to rent one). Mini excavators can be super nice for some applications too. For "genera use" where I live you can do most of what you want to do with any of the 3 machines (tracked skid, tracked mini-ex, 4x4 farm tractor), with some compromises for each. Every one of my neighbors that has a 4x4 farm tractor though tells me they wish they had my skid steer.
>>
>>2219937
Skid steers are nice but fuckoff expensive.
>>
>>2219927
Sounds like a small enough plot to handle with a lawn tractor. I don't have any experience with the small Kubota tractors but I have a 55 horsepower Kubota and love it
>>
>>2219940
I read your post and thought nah they aren't much more than 4x4 tractors, but I looked it up and yeah, I see nice little Kubotas with less hours than my skid for about 25% of the cost. It's a great tool though, didn't have second thoughts paying more than I've ever spent on a car or truck.
>>
>>2219941
Anything rated for 4 acres is going to be like $8k. He might as well shop the smallest range of Kubota tractors at that point.
>>
>>2219863
Maybe this.
I have a Deere, the one now sold as the “1” series.
I found it great to have the front loader. The box blade allowed me to maintain the long gravel driveway.
You might find the auger for the pto handy to do shrub planting, or fence posts.
The shortcomings with mine are the lack of a back end hydraulics port to run my wood splitter. And the entry model comes with tire diameter too small to have enough traction for some occasions
>>
Whats about these walk behind tractors.
Has anyybody any experiences to share?
>>
>>2220108
I've used a bcs a bit. They're too expensive for what they can realistically do if you buy new. Each implement adds up to here you coulda bought a real riding tractor used and have an easier time. If you really need it (tiny yard or something) then maybe pick up a used bcs with implements from somebody
>>
>>2219861
For homesteading, mini tractors suck. They're way to big, meaning you'll always need to have several metres of space to turn. Even with a short, narrow tractor like they use in vineyards, you'll still need 5-6m (If you're a good driver, that is - when I need to turn on space that narrow, I usually need 4-5 attempts).
What you should be looking at is a single-axle tractor. Kubota and Honda are wellknown for them, and in most countries, you can get simple chinese ones for cheap. Those're more than enough for a hectar or two, and when you put a trailer on them, they are comfortable to drive too.

The only real advantages minitractors have is that they stay even, allowing you to cut lawn well, and that you don't need to walk. They're basically mobility scooters for boomers who want a perfect lawn.

>attachments
Depends on what you want to do, obviously. For farming, a plow and a trailer are about the only things you really need, as other tasks can b done by hand in about the same time as with a one-axle or a minitractor. Full-size tractors are faster, obviously.
A harrow, a waterpump and a potato harvester (basically a plow that is made out of rods instead of sheet metal) are nice too, and if you're unable to use a scythe properly (if your land is too uneven, for example) a mower makes sense too.
If you're working with trees, you might want a winch depending on how straight your trees grow and how many you'll cut down (though a farmjack can do the same job much cheaper).

>three-point hitches
on a tractor, they're worth it. They allow you to lift the tool (important with plows and harrows, so you won't have to lift them by hand all the time) and they're so standardized that you can fit almost any tool from any manufacturer, with the only limitations being weight, engine power and the number of hydraulic circuits.
>>
>>2220179
Could you post a picture of a single axle tractor? I've never heard of that.
>>
>>2220184
Sounds like something only europoors use.
>>
>>2220108
>Whats about these walk behind tractors.
They're probably best for small properties. You can turn on the spot, and they're strong enough to pull a plow. The Diesel ones are comparable to a minitractor, but rather expensive unless you're importing from china. Also, from what I hear, starting them with crank and cap is a real pain - the gasoline ones, you can just start with a pull, same as a mower.

Also, they're dirt cheap. Here in Germany, the cheapest ones go for ~450€, new. Meanwhile, even a used-up tractor will cost 2-3k.
>>
>>2220190
I'm in the US. I don't think they exist here at all.
>>
>>2220184
Don't have pics of mine (and besides, it looks like shit rn), so here's a few links:
Holder E6, small 5 horsepower (I think) twostroke engine. This is what I have, and enough for most work unless you've got heavy soil or need to remove roots:
http://www.holdereinachser-e6.de/
Holder ED 2, 1950s diesel engine with 10 horsepower. This is what you want for heavy soil, or plowing multiple furrows at once:
https://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Traktorenlexikon:_Holder_ED_II#/media/Datei:Holder_10PS_1956.jpg

>>2220186
Yeah, obviously. If I was 300kg, I'd also need a 4x4 mobility scooter.
>>
>>2220192
Here you go:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-wheel_tractor#United_States
The last american manufacturer stopped selling them in the 2000s. But you can probably get a Kubota or Honda.
>>
>>2220194
Discontinued implies they sold poorly so finding one might be difficult. And I like driving.
>>
>>2219927

Its a shit ton of work but you should start with clearing the underbrush with a echo brushcutter with carbide blade, it will take you a few weeks but once you have done that you can come in with the chainsaw and get some of the smaller trees

After you may be able to get away with renting a unit from somewhere that is dedicated to the particular tool you want.
>>
>>2220212
I had been considering renting a small brush hog for a day and going over the growth, but it might be more economical to wait for winter to lay it all down them turn the soil before it starts growing on the spring. If I wanted to turn it into lawn, or even a garden of some sort I'd need to do more than clear the brush anyway. Moldboard, harrow discs, and a roller seems like the quickest way to get a stable area.
>>
File: IMG_20211002_130410.jpg (157 KB, 1024x768)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
I'm a bit underwhelmed. Anybody know what to expect from a bx1500? Don't know what they're asking, but hopefully I can snag a deal.
>>
File: ss.jpg (326 KB, 1024x768)
326 KB
326 KB JPG
How do these not make every small tractor obsolete are people just ignorant to all the attachments these have?
>>
>>2220241
>$20,000 clapped out.
That's why.
>>
>>2219861
Would love one
>>
>>2220190
I am from Germany too. The cheapest are from Güde and all I hear is they are garbage . Do you own one of these???
Thank you for answering
>>
>>2220241
Because they're not tractors, stupid. They're mini bulldozers. They're for moving earth, and maybe throwing a bush hog onto, or using as a forklift. There are things they can't do, that a tractor can, like pull seeders and harrows and tillers, and have backhoe attachments.
A well equipped farm will have both, for the spread of things they can do.
>>
I'm working 50 acres with a 40 hp International and a 75 hp 4x4 ford. Both have loaders. And several attachments

I still wouldnt mind having a skid steer
>>
>>2219861
I have a Bx2380. It's bad ass. I have no idea how I lived without this thing
>>
>>2219959
>>2219941
>>2219861
I saw your post on /o/ too.

if you have only 4 acres then something like >>2219871
is more than enough. you can get a used 12-15 hp garden tractor w/ attachments for $2-3k. they're all belt driven and go together like legos. only issue is finding parts if you got something super old.
>>
>>2220240
lol dude, that thing is a monster if all you got is 4 acres.
>>
>>2220632
How's the loan treating you?
That's my biggest concern is the fucking price of the new ones. I'm basically looking at under $10,000 and planning on a cash purchase.
>>
>>2220215
You definitely want to make use of the winter slow grow season. Do brushburns where you can.

Cypress Mulch is 50$/2cuyd if you can find a bulk supplier. Throw a bunch of that shit down after you clear the area then throw new stuff on top.
>>
>>2220551
>just ignorant to all the attachments these have
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>>2220666
5000lbs on small tires or tracks that will tear up whatever it rolls over.
>>
>>2219941
I'd get a Deere 318 or an old Wheelhorse for this
>>
>>
File: resize.jpg (19 KB, 300x225)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>2220683
I accept your concedence
>>
>>2221086
>Mows your lawn them immediately turns it to mud.
Heh, nothin personal kid.
>>
File: cvt.jpg (58 KB, 900x596)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>2220190
Gonna ask this here because I don't want to shit up another thread, but if I were to want to build a walk behind tractor for myself, would using a manually adjustable cvt be acceptable? I think it would be nice to adjust the speed on the fly but I'm concerned about how it would hold up.
>>
>>2221351
dont u lose alot of mecanical power with any kind of transmission vs direct drive?
>>
>>2221352
I figure with the engine spinning at 2500-ish RPM and my relatively short stature that tying the engine directly to the wheels would lead to a very bad time. Also I thought that chain and belt drives were relatively efficient, at around 89-95%?
>>
>>2221351
Most small tractors and lawn mowers use a hydrostatic transmission. It has a constant input and adjusters that basically make it a hydraulic CVT with reverse and stop capability.
https://www.tufftorq.com/product/k66/
>>
>>2221397
I have thought about using hydrostatic for this but the big problem I have with them is the cost. All the ones I've seen are a bit pricey, which is why I like the belt cvt, it being a quarter of the price and easier to maintain. Definitely not out of the question but I would need to see something under $200 that I could trust not to blow up on me.
>>
>>2219861
I've had a used subcompact Kubota BX2380 since last March. It came with the 54" drive over mower deck, bucket/quick attach feature, and then I bought a grapple for it. (I have yet to use the grapple). I live on 10 acres that hasn't been lived on/worked for a couple years. Mowing is a dream. Having the little bucket is a legitimate force multiplier.
I bought a 4 foot box blade 1 month ago, and I wish I had bought it sooner. I've already leveled an area for raised garden beds, it's great for leveling the long driveway gravel as well.
>>
>>2219927
>Just 4 acres
Don't know much about Kubota, but if it's comparable to an Iseki tx-series it will do the job.Just make sure it can support the attachments you are gonna need.
>>
File: product_6430.jpg (64 KB, 800x800)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>2220108
>walk behind tractors
You mean pic related?They are decent if you want to make use of your yard to grow some potatoes, but would not suggest using them for plots larger than 2-3 decares(3k sq meters).Bought one of those for my granparents - old man uses it to mill the soil between the grapevine lines.
>>
https://youtu.be/Kiriw72ZjB4
Small engine repair guy who does lots of rebuilds on lawnmowers and tractors had no idea walk behind tractors existed. You think they're going to be an easy find in the US?
>>
AHEM naysayers
https://youtu.be/ZqOT-_QCIxI
>>
>>2224330
badass video bro
>>
>>2220666
>>2224330

Oh look a skid steer doing loader type work. So innovative!

Skid steers are handy machines that are kinda like a swiss army knife, but they still don't replace tractors. A tractor with a loader and a skid steer have a bunch of abilities that overlap that they could both do decently, and a few tasks that one or the other would excel at.

A tractor can pull tillage equipment much more efficiently than a skid steer. In fact I wouldn't even recommend trying with a skid steer because you would generate a fuck ton of heat because of the hydro drive. Some tractors are also hydro drive and I wouldn't recommend using them for heavy tillage either.

A skid steer can get into insanely tight places compared to a tractor.

At my place I have enough room that I don't have to get into tight places so I actually prefer an actual front end loader (not a loader on a tractor) over a skid steer 99% of the time.
>>
>>2219865
>mini tractor

You mean a ride on?
>>
>>2224382
Kind of. The regular ride on mowers are half the weight, and don't have 3 pt hitches with a PTO or hydraulic loaders in front. Diesel power is also a nice pro.
>>
Kubotas are solid. Airports will use them to tow small jets around
>>
File: DSC01845.jpg (715 KB, 1600x1067)
715 KB
715 KB JPG
>flips your tractor upside down and puts your Euro walk behind tractor glorified wheelbarrow on the roof of your barn
Guess tractors aren't so useful after all eh?
>>
>>2225398
nice fat legs fatty
>>
>>2225398
Holy based skid chad.
>>
>>2219921
150 sq ft
>>
File: SL1100_.jpg (80 KB, 1100x1100)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>2226890
>>
>>2220273
No, I've got an old holder E6. But the cheap ones I was referring to are Güde (450€ last I checked) and some italian manufacturer I can never remember the name of (600€ last I checked). But you can get a used Holder twostroke for around the same price, or a holder ED2 (massive, percussion-cap started diesel) for around 800€.

>>2221789
The one in your pic is a really tiny one. The big ones are around 10-20ps, usually 700-900ccm diesel, and are comparable to a small tractor.

Even a midsize (~600ccm gasoline) is enough for 4-5k m2. It's a bit more tiring than a tractor, since you have to walk behind it, but also much faster since all it takes to turn is just pulling the wheel clutch and having the thing turn on the spot. My grandpa has both, and pretty much only uses the tractor when his legs are so bad that he can't walk right.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (68 KB, 1280x720)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>2228372
>bunch of gay units
Nobody knows wtf you are talking about dude
*does a 360 nosewheelie and drives away from your glorified walker*
>>
File: cat-75c.jpg (348 KB, 1600x1200)
348 KB
348 KB JPG
>wheels
>"tractor"
How much would a decent tracked tractor cost?
>>
I've got some time before spring and will save up I'm the meantime. Also now I also want a sailboat... Too much money, not enough time.
>>
>>2231203
Rent the boat. You have no time so it will just sit and eat maintenance. Wise rich people spend wisely and like industry avoid buying high maintenance low-use equipment.
>>
>>2229692
New? $150k easy.
Used? $20-30k, and you're buying whatever reason it's been pulled out of service for (in other words, you'll be spending a lot to keep it running, or will need to rebuild the engine or the hydraulics are fucked.)
"Decent" is subjective, anyway. What will you be using it for, and where?
>>
>>2229692
Rent the tractor instead. Tractors are exciting but storing and maintaining one is not.

The reason contractors rent for projects is it's not profitable to buy a machine you aren't using constantly. If you want to drive heavy equipment for fun or profit you will be paying someone else to maintain it, so leave the thing with them instead and have it delivered when/if needed. This also avoids investing in the wrong vehicle or a vehicle with problems. Modern equipment is complex and repairs can be brutally expensive.
>>
>>2231971
>it's not profitable to buy a machine you aren't using constantly

That's the interesting thing about Andrew Camarata, who owns about 5 excavators, one or more bulldozers, skidsteers, cranes, forklifts including one huge extendable one, scissor lifts, you name it. And as far as I can tell he never has any sort of crew except for the odd helper on rare occasions. So, does he rent things out or what? He has the advantage that he can fix about anything, but still, it seems like he buys equipment that is seldom used.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AndrewCamarata/videos

pic related is one of his most recent acquisitions to go along with two nice dumptrucks and one or more pickups.
>>
>>2231998
Diesel Creek is the same, he's picked up several bulldozers, a grader, a box crane, tractors, a backhoe, all kinds of gear on the cheap, and gets them running again and uses them for his work. He just did one on a power rake, which I didn't even know existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXxsuv3zwec

That other "just rent it" is just talking out of his ass about contractors, who subcontract out - but dudes like Diesel Creek are the kinds of dude that contractors call, and it's profitable for him. And, the other posters just asked how much one costs, with no indication of what it would be for, like farming, where it would make no fucking sense to rent a tractor, because you'd be running it constantly doing multiple jobs, like the gear the farming channels have.
>>
>>2231998
I meant for most people. Andrew is an exception among exceptions.

Camaratta is easily capable of maintaining his equipment and knows where to score bargains, both of which require serious immersion in the heavy equipment world. We don't see all the boring non-video-worthy jobs that stuff would be used for to keep money flowing.

That milsurp truck was cheap (most are for what they do) and one job or two would pay for it. The point is he runs a versatile business and isn't just buying shit without a process to make it all pay (or he'd not be buying anything).

Anyone who would have to ask is already too late to live that life, and it really is one. You need the land, the shop, the money to get started and serious love for what you do. If you have that the actual work isn't difficult but the right people for it completely focus their lives around it. Once you own vehicles that can carry your scores home it gets much less expensive and much more convenient. If you own one backhoe that's also a universal tool to lift and move parts for other equipment and drag it around your facility when it doesn't run.

If you're already a heavy equipment mech you'd not be asking 4chan.
>>
>>2232077
All those words, to double down on something not happening, that does happen on a daily basis.

>Anyone who would have to ask is already too late to live that life

Is the part that reveals how completely and utterly full of shit you are, trolling or not.
>>
>>2232092
It happening daily doesn't make it common relative to population which is why relatively few do it. I fix equipment for some of them. It is not a normie thing at that level except in farm country and they don't ask 4chan because (holy fuck) they grew up doing related stuff.
>>
>>2232164
>It happening daily doesn't make it common relative to population
Actually, it does, and this is pure neckbeardism responding.
>>
>>2232077
>If you're already a heavy equipment mech you'd not be asking 4chan.
bunch of bullshit, anon, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. anything you are not capble of doing yourself you can save a lot of money by hiring an out of work mechanic a week or two and paying an hourly wage. Buy the parts yourself. You are also ignoring the fact that heavy equipment retains value, even if it's old and used. That 30k used excavator will still be worth 30k next year. Even more if you get it running reliably.

bolting on new parts is simple. replacing hydraulic pumps and hoses is simple. replacing limit sensors is simple. working on heavy equipment is easier than modern cars.
>>
>>2232278
It's probably just some fat neckbeard who can't even change a spare tire, lol. Autists and incels think construction equipment is magic or something, a Cummins or Cat engine is way easier to maintain and will take infinitely more abuse than a crappy import 4 cylinder auto engine. The only real difficulty on working on them is their size, and the cost of some parts if you have to go to the Caterpillar or Cummins dealer, or you break some teeth in the transmission.
>>
Best implements?
Rototiller? Box blade? Disc harrows? Landscape rake? Moldboard plow? Flail mower?
All in all what's the best bang for buck? I'm expecting it's between the rake and box blade.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.