[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 96 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 450px-Zinc_whiskers.jpg (42 KB, 450x384)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Its that time again boys, knife fags stay out.

Today's question, Does anyone here dislike the smell of metal?
>>
>>2219237
nickel is the only metal that smells and tastes good imo
>>
>>2219237
I HATE the smell and taste of metal. Copper is the worst of them all.
>>
I got some high quality investment casting and want to do small silver castings through lost wax method. Do I have to use a pressure chamber to not get bubbles or can I vibrate it well enough?
>>
>>2219237
>>2219255
The reason metal has such a distinctive and sometimes overpowering smell is because it's the same scent as blood.
>>
>>2219237
what is that fuzz? zinc whiskers?
>>
>>2219274
If the mold is HOT and the metal is high fluidity some rotation/vibration is good enough. If it is a viscous metal you really want either excessive sprue pressure+lots of side-feed tubes and vents if you cant use vacuum.
>>
>>2219562
Yup. Pretty weird!
>>
>>2219237
Ah yes the RoHS whisker
>>
Anybody here work in a materials testing laboratory? Sounds like a nice job.
>>
>>2219237
Ever since I read the Gingery books, I've wanted to make a lathe from scratch. A small cast aluminum lathe bed with a screwed on piece of CRS seems like a shitty idea though, so I've been thinking about trying cast iron. Is casting a lathe bed in iron even attainable in the home foundry? The crucible would have to be pretty huge.
>>
>>2221796
i work closely with one, they're probably sick of being drip-fed funding to work on retarded problems.
>stop forging a part to save money
>WTF why does this part break?
>send it to the lab, top priority, red alert
>oh wow the microstructure was worse, who could have guessed?
>>
>>2221855
If you stopped forging it, what was the fabrication process that replaced the forging process?
>>
>>2221855
That sounds like 95% of my WOs. "This part breaks!" "Oh yeah, the plant substituted the 4140 with 1020 because it was cheaper..." Or my favorite: they substituted high-grade stainless with free-machining leaded steel and didn't know why it was dissolving in the food tanks at the customer's customers. I actually forwarded my report to legal. Fuckin' hell.
>>
If I inhale zinc fumes can I quickly use something to block it? Like if I eat 10 radishes?
>>
>>2221828
a year ago i stumbled over a boomer blog where he is attempting just that, casting his own lathe.
afaik he is using an oil burner and scrap cast iron stoves for the carbon content. dont remember the site name thou
>>
>>2222875
No, stop doing that or wear proper PPE.
>>
>>2223034
My uncle from China (no blood relation) says they used milk. Apparently the lactose intolerance diarrhea purged the lead and zinc from their day at the recycling smelter.
>>
Could I use Ar gas over a DC stick welder to get a little extra quality or does the stick flux require oxygen to melt and stuff?
>>
>>2221828
CRS?

>>2224044
I've heard northern Europeans recommend drinking milk. They are not lactose intolerant.
>>
>>2219633
I think he's talking about the initial forming of the mold, rather than the actual casting
>>
>>2221828
I've wondered the same thing, or failing that what about bronze? Would that be suitable? It would be better than aluminum at least, I assume.
>>
>>2219562
Used conduit strap covered in insulation
>>
>>2219237
Fun Fact
Jews can smell gold.
>>
>>2225219
You probably could, although pouring that much bronze has it's own issues. But I don't know if you could keep the ways flat and accurate, as bronze - while tough - wears faster than steel, which is why bronze is used for bushings. Never heard of or seen a metal lathe made out of anything but steel, with an iron base. But it's pretty dense, so it may have enough dampening properties for a lathe. The issue with aluminum is strength, and it's too light. You don't want the machine flexed and shuddering all over the place.

I haven't checked metal prices in a while, but bronze has always been pretty pricey, too - the cost factor of bronze is something to consider.

Don't know for sure if it would work -my gut feeling is it's too soft to keep the ways flat and accurate, but who knows? I kind of feel if it was appropriate, you'd see bronze milling machines and lathes, and you just don't. Like a Bridgeport - the base is just cast iron, but the important bits that you need for accuracy are steel.
>>
>>2221828
Iron is too soft for the accuracy you'd need for the ways. Maybe an aluminum frame, with steel inserts. But then you'd probably have vibration issues.
>>
>>2225190
>CRS?
Cold-rolled steel

>>2221828
What about concrete? I heard the density is comparable to aluminum.
>>
>>2225314
Concrete, in MY aluminum? It's more likely than you think!
>>
>>2221828
Those books are for bored owners of existing machine shops and not a way to get machine tools. If you want to make a useful result begin by setting up an effective shop and don't waste effort and metal on anything BUT the shop and its equipment.

Tools get you toys but rarely the opposite. Begin with welding equipment (which helps build many other things like racking, benches, machinery dollies and much more). Acquire machine tools, tooling and learn how to obtain stock. Everything that bleeds time and money from your shop works against you.
>>
Any handle advice? Its a kitchen knife
>>
>>2227999
I would honestly just wrap some thick string or duct tape around the handle.
>>
File: 20210725_133654.jpg (3.97 MB, 4624x3468)
3.97 MB
3.97 MB JPG
>>2228020
Ive done that, Doin mahogony, I think.
>>
>>2228089
>>
>>2228091
You know there's an actual knife thread?
Are those made from old files or something like that?
>>
>>2228093
I did not. Searched "forge" and found this one. But anyway this one was a leafspring
>>
>>2228093
Knife autists are weirdos and lack ANY metallurgical sense, artistic inspiration, or class. They pay $1000 for some snowflake powdermet knife that is as good as 1040.

This is the much better thread!
>>
>>2228311
It's a knife making thread, not a knife consoomers thread.
>>
>>2219237
What would be some viable routes to source some ingot molds of particular/custom dimensions? If I were to make my own molds would I necessarily be limited to using cast iron or would other materials like stainless steel be acceptable?
>>2226757
thank you, these insights will save me time and money
>>2221874
>leaded steel ... was dissolving in the food tanks
oof
>>
>>2219237
Not rly. But i snort a line of borax every morning,
>>
>>2229360
I do a line of asbestos furnace liner.
>>
Whats stopping me from using E6010 to make a temporary weld on austenitic stainless? Should I use a bladed or abrasive saw to cut?
>>
>>2230295
Pffff. Your furnace is literally a bong, and you're sniffing the bongwater, thinking you're cool.
>>
>>2230889
Also, what thickness of stainless sheet is considered structural for light applications (for example a chair)?

>Should I use a bladed or abrasive saw to cut?
Shears are also a possibility since I'm working with sheet metal.
>>
>>2230899
>what thickness of stainless sheet is considered structural for light applications
I'm looking at using 330 (building a furnace with the potential to upgrade it to a gas turbine) and 303, 304, or 430 if that helps.
>>
>>2230914
You can weld it if you want but the weld will rust quickly.

Any thickness is structural if you dimensionally strengthen it. I recommend 1/12" at least if you have a nice bending shear.

Use an abrasive cutting wheel unless your bladed cutter is carbide tipped.
>>
Can anyone give me a rundown on the actual process of metal recycling? I ended up thinking it a few weeks ago at work. We machine low alloy steel, stainless, bronze, CuNi, monel, inconel, titanium, and aluminum, and all the chips end up going into a single container.
The magnetic steels can of course be pulled out with a magnet, but I don't know how everything else is dealt with. Can the metals be melted fractionally?
>>
>>2231057
>dimensionally strengthen it
Could you elaborate?
>>
File: 20150508123724857.jpg (346 KB, 1128x1005)
346 KB
346 KB JPG
>>2231193
Like automotive drawn steel. You add dents and bends which make floppy sheetmetal stiff.
>>
>>2231068
A search engine would provide vidyas of different processes.
>>
Hi /metallurgy/, /lit/ here. I got a brass pen, will letting it tarnish actually damage the pen or is it purely aesthetic? (I know that rust can really fuck up iron, so I'm wondering)
>>
>>2231317
Brass, bronze and copper don't really rust, they just get patina and stop oxidizing (unless obviously exposed to some caustic stuff).
>>
>>2231227
Is that a steam engine or internal combustion?
>>
FUCK WHISKERS
>>
About... Halfway done? Probably gonna do a hilt for it.
>>
>>2233591
What's the end application? Wood splitting? Head splitting?
>>
>>2233657
A bit of both, actually. Gonna do a converce grind
>>
>>2233591
Don't forget to carve out a cow's foot for authentic look.
>>
File: edgejig2.jpg (36 KB, 753x500)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Im trying to compress and hammer harden a bronze dagger.Ive seen some diy set ups to do a unified and consistent edge by using two brass door handles as guides with the blade run through it as its hammered.

Problem is all my door handles turned out to be fake brass or hallow.Ive got some round brass but im not sure what set up i could do quickly to keep them in place as guides.

Pic is an example in use with door handles.
>>
>>2233773
Peen the edge out (Like they did in the bronze age you modernist coward!) then grind into the peening to make a straight edge. Or just weld two hardened steel strips to a standard steel hinge in such a way that it draws out the edge.
>>
>>2234101
>Peen the edge out (Like they did in the bronze age you modernist coward!)

They didn't.thats the funny thing.In European bronze age swords the hammer hardened edge is so neat and uniform that bronze reproduction Smiths agree they have been using a tool for a guide.
>>
How flat should flat stock be?
I bought some annealed 1095 blanks on ebay to make some blades
They arent very flat, and one is pretty bowed.
Is this to be expected or not?

I bought some 01 tool steel a long time ago for a blade I never finished, and it showed up perfectly flat
>>
>>2234622
Flatness costs extra.

Seriously, it is extra. Check on McMaster.
>>
silver that turned black smells disgusting
>>
>>2222884

Ohshit, if it's the blog I'm thinking of I used to read that maybe 10 years ago. did he ever finish the lathe?

>>2221828

>The crucible would have to be pretty huge.

Maybe not too bad, you could rib a "flat" pattern out to get your rigidity without needing too much additional volume. The few times I've pulled by Enco mill/drills bed off to clean the ways, I've been """"impressed"""" by how little iron is actually used to make it.

Same would probably apply for aluminum, too, though. you could always face an aluminum casting with a grey cast sheet that you can lap down.
>>
I'm working on unbending flattened aluminum pipe. Since I can't get a visual when the Al reaches forging temperature. I'm just going to start heating it with a torch, shove a glowing hot steel wedge (pre-forged to the rough dimensions of the bend), then fine tune the wedge using the pipe's bend as a forging die. I am hoping when the wedge assumes a fine shape, heat transfer from the steel to Al will be maximal, as I continue to hammer, eventually the steel will recrystalize and harden, while the Al will be in a hot-working state. The pipe will then be soft enough for the wedge to hammered through the bend, effectively straightening it. I will follow with a water quench. Though IIRC, there are limits redoing the heat-treatment on precipitation-hardened Al. What could be done differently to improve the success rate?
>>
>>2225256
interesting.. so they're of dwarven blood after all
>>
>>2235203
What would a modern-day elf smith be? Some guy running a $5Mil CNC from programs he found online to make decorative birds out of copper?
>>
>>2236125
>cnc
Sounds like the work of Sauron. An orcish smith, perhaps, but an elf no longer.
>>
metal has no smell
that shit you're smelling is your own skin oils
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqLH-nTZEOc
>>
>>2236655
Does machining oil not break down the same way?
>>
>>2238041
depends on how volatile it is
>>
File: image832.png (1.7 MB, 1000x1316)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB PNG
What is this golden metal used in high-frequency RF stuff? Looks fancy.
>>
>>2239422
gold
>>
>>2239422
Probably oxygen free copper
>>
File: yarrr.png (798 KB, 665x481)
798 KB
798 KB PNG
How can I find tin in the wild? I came across a bundle of zinc wheel weights a few months ago and made some brass, now I want to try making bronze with tin.

The only thing I can think of is pewter, but even thrift stores that have it seem to know its worth something.
>>
>>2239563
lead free solder
>>
>>2239576
This.
>>
I need to make a tiny leaf spring to repair an antique. I bought some annealed 1095 sheet to make it out of, but do I need to quench it in water or oil when I harden it? since it's so small should I put it on a plate and heat it indirectly?
>>
>>2239773
1095 is slightly tricky because optimal ht requires a hold time at aus temp.

You might be able to get away with no hold, but it won't be optimal.

140 degree canola or fast quench oil.

After quench clean scale to shiny metal then use torch to gently heat until steel turns light blue. Dunk in water and repeat once or twice more.
>>
File: 20210604_132308.jpg (1.34 MB, 3264x2448)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
>>2239836
I was going to niter blue it to temper it. I did it before but it was a bigger spring.
>>
>>2239890
Antiques leave a LOT of room for error. Not exactly a performance car.
>>
>>2239422

It's probably Gold. you can't use a conformal coating on HF guides and cavities without fucking up the characteristics, so they generally do gold or gold-on-nickel. You never leave bare copper in an open RF cavity if you expect it to last.
>>
>>2239422

Sometimes I think its coated aluminum
>>
>>2241524
it is. if it's a gold plating the gold will only be a few microns thick.
>>
With all this welding, machining, casting and what not...are there any health risks I should be aware of? Metallurgy is interesting to me but I always think back to this former welder in his 50s had neurological issues that he blamed on his occupation. I don't want my brain or lungs to be fried.
>>
>>2241726
Don't breath zinc fumes or welding fumes. Wear proper ppe when grinding. The abrasives are similar to asbestos in your lungs and you're also inhaling metals.
>>
>>2241772
Can I ever get shit out of my lungs?
>>
>>2242932
Depends, but the answer for a lot of bad shit is no.
>>
>>2219242
Nickel tastes like cocks, so i'm told.
>>
>>2243493
I can say with certainty nickel plating does not taste like my penis.
>>
>>2244465
based Marylyn Manson aficionado
>>
Can I do easy nickel plating at home or are all the good chemicals banned now?
>>
>>2245665
It's hard to get the really good shit anymore but if you have a DC power supply and some scrap copper and nickel you can get some good solution going with distilled drain cleaner.
>>
>>2239422
It's literally gold. Same as you would do with a normal FR4 PCB with ENIG/ENEPIG finish.
>>
>>2246078
Can I make money stealing the microwave antennas from cell towers and finding gold?
>>
>>2242932
No but you can start wearing masks when you work with that shit from now on.

All the old guys will make fun of you and say pants on head retarded shit like "you gotta die from something lol". Fuck them.
>>
>>2219255
>>2219548
metals have no inherent smell seeing as they don't vaporize under normal temperature and pressure (except mercury I think), the interaction of chemicals and oils (like on your hands) is what gives them smell.
>>
>>2221828
if you can cast iron you can cast in sections and bolt them together. also concrete the like other guy said or granite epoxy is an option

>>2225266
you're dumb. lathes and Mills from the $800 hobbiest benchtop to the $8000 professional tool room are made of cast iron for the weight and vibration dampening. it's only when you start getting into fuckhuge industrial machines worth four times your house that they're made of steel since they're so heavy and under so much stress they would crack cast iron and they weigh so damn much anyway rigidity isn't an issue
>>
File: wp-content-5.jpg (43 KB, 500x375)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Plenty of resources online for casting aluminum bronze but I want to make ingots that I can smith later. Is this doable?
>>
>>2247369
sure why not? just cast it into whatever ingot mold or (seamless) pipe of the size youre looking for. or if you already have casting sand then make sand molds of your desired ingot
>>
>>2247369
Ive done it You can buy a cheap iron ingot mold.

Ive found the porperties of aluminum and copper behave differently to tin and copper bronze though.Its normally a straightforward alloy (tin bronze) but for some reason despite aluminum having a lower melting point to copper it doesnt seem to mix with it easly and remains pretty viscus at the bottom of the crucible while the copper is pretty much water above it.It took a great deal of mixing , borax and letting it sit before they made a useable alloy.
>>
>>2247461
That was the copper-rich weird shit. To the right of "L". You need to get above the melting point of copper to reeaalllyyy get a 100% melting.
>>
How much would it cost me to build a working prototype of this engine?
https://grabcad.com/library/wankel-rotary-engine-5
>>
>>2247452
>>2247461
i know it can be cast, i want to forge it hot with a hammer afterwards, like I would steel.
>>
>>2247637
i also found it rather indifferent to tin bronze.A lot of people made a big deal of it being one of the strongest bronze alloys and difficult to machine.But i found it really easy to belt sand and polish.Certainly didint behave like a tough materiel perhaps the aluminuim content was lower than 12% cant have been higher as there was still some Aluminium left at the bottom of the crucible.As i heard higher than 12% it gets brittle.
>>
>>2247148
Go ahead and see if you don't get cooked first
>>
Is steel casting even viable without having an induction heater?
>>
>>2247872
Oil heat or an excess of propane will do you just fine. Try to use the steels with an extra pinch of Silicon for flowability.
>>
>>2247933
I'm more worried about the casting furnace starting to degrade at steel temps, with induction I just have to worry about buying new crucibles every few pours
>>
>>2247949
Oh, yeah... You are right about furnaces degrading faster. But some mineral fiber reinforced clay and don't be afraid to slap that shit on.
>>
tried asking in /k/ but then I remembered that none of them own guns.
I'm doing a mac11 build and I wanted to nickel plate it and polish it to a mirror sheen for maximum swag. will there potentially be any problems if I also end up nickel plating the inside of the barrel and chamber and the bolt as far as head spacing and other critical dimensions? obviously plating deposits metal, but would it be enough to cause any serious problems with a simple blowback gun like the Mac?
>>
>>2248114
Depends. Aesthetic flash Nickel over flash copper for a wall queen that you might need to shoot one day? Nah. Hard nickel that will actually resist wear? Absolutely will fuck it up if you don't cover the actions and barrel insides.
>>
>>2248116
that's about what I figured. I'm not totally sure how thick of a coat I can generate but it was just going to be simple YouTube tutorial electroplating crap, so nothing crazy but still I'll plug up the barrel and probably skip out on the bolt, it comes blued so I'll probably just leave it that way.
>>
>>2248114
once you've nickel plated it you'd might as well gold plate the nickel
>>
What are the best brass recipes for aesthetics?
>>
>>2248244
High-copper for that classic sheen or add a lot of Nickel to get white-brass. Avoid zinc, zinc is for fags.
>>
>>2248244
Use gold instead.
>>
Any jewelry fags?

I've been getting into making jewelry from scratch. So far only sticking to silver cause its cheap but I plan on eventually making gold jewelry for myself and to sell.

Currently making a Cuban link ring pic related, it takes a long time but it feels nice "actually making something" with your hands since I'm a neet.
>>
>>2250461
A NEET jeweler? How does this work?
>>
>>2250638
That link ring is for Homura-chan
>>
Test
>>
>>2250671
What are you, the 4Chan tester?
>>
File: 1510349161217.jpg (18 KB, 540x720)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>friend has a crossthreaded to death aluminum thing he wants permanently welded
>only have DC tig/stick welder with no tig gear yet on hand
>didn't find aluminum rods at cambodian tire
>bought some brazing rods and a torch but never brazed before
I was kind of in a hurry so I didn't even stop to consider if it was a good idea or not. Would it work or should I just go to a welding supply store and get actual welding rods?
>>
>>2250997
Brazing Aluminum...? In open atmosphere? Without experience? On an unknown alloy?

Just flame-tip weld since you have a torch already. If you are careful you don't need any filler rod. Or is this thing so blasted you need filler metal?
>>
File: Untitled.png (10 KB, 440x565)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>2251020
well it's basically pic related
My first inclination would've been to just fill it with a nice weld all the way around but if I do it using a propane torch I don't really know what would be the correct course of action to make it solid and not look too much like shit
>>
>>2250638
More like a jewelry hobbyist. I don't have a job I'm just learning to make stuff from youtube. Got a lot of needed tools

>>2250670
Its for my pinky
>>
>>2251277
Pinky chain ring...?
>>
>>2250997
You can weld aluminium with acetylene torch, pajeets repair stuff that way. Even engine cases.
>>
File: 1613524403388.png (159 KB, 1628x940)
159 KB
159 KB PNG
Cross posting from biz as I think I'll get better responses here.

I have the opportunity to get a job pouring gold for a small mining & processing site.

I want to know if gold pouring/precious metals casting is an actual profession/line of work or am I imagining it? I'm told its skilled work so I want to know if this is a skill that would get me work in the future, especially if I get good at it. I imagine for firms producing bullion the process is mostly automatic but could this experience get me somewhere like that?

Searching for "gold pouring jobs" just returns a bunch of news pieces so I'm a bit lost.
>>
File: The-Terror-series-finale.png (1.21 MB, 1600x800)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB PNG
>>2221874
>leaded steel... was dissolving the food tanks
>>
>>2252603
Technical and skilled labor? Yes. Builds a record of trust in jobs that require high security? Yes.

Will it ever get you a job outside of pouring ingots for precious metal refiners...? No. You will be stuck in that profession for life unless you get a security license to do security work for transfers or get a trade license to handle warehouse receiving/fulfillment for precious metal storage.
>>
>>2252603
One of my first experiences if the net as a kid was joining melting casting user groups. Picrel gave me Lels.

You know a cupola is the traditional way of casting metal at home right?
>Fuck propane cucks
>>
how feasible is diy aluminum extrusion?
this is basically the only vid i can find on the net of someone doing it non commercially
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obWFprWTRSs
>>
>>2252763
Thanks, this is the sort of reply I was hoping for. I can't say I expected other jobs to just fall into my lap based on this work alone so jumping through those other hoops seems rational.

Can you comment at all on salaries at these refineries?

>>2252782
>deliberately causing more pollution than is necessary
>sheer heft intimidates lesser gas furnaces
cuploa kings keep winning
>>
So i got a question about making a tap and die regarding how to make them from scratch without machinery cause i remember looking at the colonial gunsmith video on youtube and seeing recreated old looking tap and dies and wondered how did one make it from scratch back then and wanted to ask you guys if you had any answers on how to make them by hand.
>>
>>2253427
Ye olde die tool
>>
>>2219237
Defuk did you do the get your metal bracket to grow a mold like that? I understand that it's not a mold, but im curious to learn more about thllpic related
>>
>>2253431
It's actually a huge disagreement in the metallurgy community. There is no consensus.
>>
>>2253427
Single point thread cutting. Hand-filed die to make a screw. Cut the screw into a tap and harden. Screw into a metal piece and file cutting edges to make a die.
>>
File: 1615095486736.png (1.33 MB, 960x720)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB PNG
I've got a chance to buy a 150lb anvil for $300 bucks. Looks too good to be true though, especially with what looks like a hackjob attempt at welding at the waist. What do you guys think?
>>
>>2256074
"Better Than Nothing™"
>>
>>2219237
I work at a steel foundry and can't smell it at all anymore unless we use a metal that gets made once every few months. Smells like pineapple.
>>
File: adobestock_291032072_w.jpg (64 KB, 1024x576)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>bought welder
>dream about welding stainless and shit, what kind of cool things i can make out of it
>check prices
>shit is more expensive than fucking copper pipe

Damn. Why is stainless so expensive? I always thought it is cheaper than copper and aluminium, but apparently shit goes like this: black steel < aluminum < copper < stainless

Also, which material is most based?
>>
>>2256299
It IS cheap if bought direct in bulk. Small-load dealers use a 400% markup.
>>
File: Belk.jpg (16 KB, 320x411)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>2252565
Yeah its a commercial style
>>
>>2256455
Should have made it Gold, poorfag.
>>
does anyone know what to what hardness/temperature i should temper a screwdriver? want to make a special size Flathead that doesn't shatter and pierce my eyeball
>>
>>2257582
HRC60. Any tool steel with a lot of Chrome, Vanadium, and Molybdenum.

Oil quench, anneal, oil quench.

Temper at like 400F for 5 minutes or so. Grind to final shape.
>>
>>2257619
QUALITY NORTH AMERICAN CAST IRON!
>>
>>2258883
i will use a DIN alloy just to spite you
>>
Hello its the bronze sword guy again.Im wondering if i can get some advice and info on brazing. Ive been experimenting with some miscasts to see if i can fill some superficial holes.I havent had much luck with a propane trouch and some flux nothing seems to stick.I have heard in the bronze age they would "wash" miscasts with holes with a coating of fresh bonze on top so i attemped that but didnt have much luck with the bronze droplets not actually sticking or fusing securly.

Whats the chemistry behind liquid metal fusing? i clean the surface, add flux and heat it up.Some chinese blades are made from multiple parts cast onto each other.How does that work if the metal doesnt fuse?
>>
>>2259041
Too cold. The molten metal should be over-heated and the base metal should be pretty damn hot.

Your drops are chilling before they metallurgically fuse.

Another trick is to fill it with a more chemically active lower melting point metal like a lead or tin.
>>
316 IS FOR FAGS
THIS POST BROUGHT TO YOU BY 304 GANG
STAY STAINLESS, MY FRIENDS
>>
>>2259132
Ah i see so should try propane tourching the blade till red hot while pouring on fresh bronze from the crucible?
But what about the chinese blades they were fused using clay casting how would they have heated the center spine within the clay mold before pouring the edges into mold?
>>
>>2259227
Heat the molten metal HELLA HOT and pre-heat the mating mold+part under air-forced coals.
>>
>>2219237
What kind of startup costs are we talking if I want to use my 3d printer and cast my prints?
>>
>>2259858
that depends on the kind of random stuff you have laying around.

you need oilsand. if you buy this is by far the biggest expense, but i guess mixing your own is a huge pain and requires a lot of sieves. the castbox is simply done with 2x4s
+ like 20$ for random stuff, brush, blower, parting powder etc.

the foundry can be rigged up out of dirt and random bricks/stones. a natural draft airflow and spalted wood should get you to aluminum temperature range easy.
i say sub 100$ without safety gear.

If you want to go up to copper/bronze, forced air and an insulated foundry is a must. For forced air, a mains leaf blower and triac speed controller is like 50$ on ebay. you'd also need coal for fuel and a refractory lid
>>
>>2259864
Bounce house fans are cheap too and sling a lot of air. They're continuous duty. I have three for welding ventilation and want more.
>>
>>2228089
Not samefagging, but that knife looks awesome
>>
File: afrikan_machete.jpg (34 KB, 612x437)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
So a friend of mine wants an African style machete like pic related. I am not sure what steels to use. I was thinking, maybe a "leafier" core and a harder edge.
It must be able to be used for machete related tasks like chopping wood and stuff.
Ideas?
>>
>>2260229
Unironically buy a large commercial-grade lawnmower blade. If you need a harder edge you can do some cheeky heat treatment with a torch.
>>
>>2219237
Bruh why did you stick pubes to that
>>
>>2260229
Why do he want to be machete warrior
>>
>>2260229
leafspring and a 45° bevel
>>
>>2260282
Sounds good.

>>2260351
He lives innawoods and uses the machete to chop wood and form wood for different stuff. He's been in SA and well, the machete is his preferred tool now.

>>2260388
Also an idea.
>>
wood chip anon from last year here,
Im in the process of building a new furnace/forge combination, it will be coal fired and able to operate horizontal and vertical.

Im building this out of an old compressor jug, can probably stuff 3-5cm internal insulation (outside could be wrapped too)
>>https://www.instructables.com/Beer-Keg-Metal-Melting-Furnace/
that dude did a mix of sodium silicate, perlite and corundum to fire his own ceramic insulation
is this a legit way, or am i better off with ceramic wool and a thin refractory mantle? I plan to go well over 1200°C, ceramic wool is only rated for that
>>
>>2260557
if i choose to do a inner ceramic wool liner, will i get cancer if i leave it uncoated? will be only operated outdoors
>>
>>2260594
Probably yes. Coat it.
>>
>>2260594
Yes! do not do this.
>>
prometheus-foundry.com/The%20Hobbyist%27s%20Guide%20to%20Casting%20Metal--2nd%20Edition%20(print).pdf

Good info
>>
File: FB_IMG_1636919953006.jpg (101 KB, 883x1028)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
Awwh yeah bois alright here I am thank you for coming home ok so thank you thank you yes so I have recently acquired 30 acres in colorado and I am contemplating blasting the shiznatt out of it and mining it and yes actually thank you I have like almost no experience doing anything at all whatsoever so

So uh ok I think we're going to assume for practical purposes that these are uh marxian mines and by that I mean they contain an equal distribution of all the ores to some extent relative to their r err relative prevalence as a natural resource

Except of course if you have any knowledge concerning geographical geology. Then any advice there would be appreciated

So like from this theoretical perspective it's fun to assume we're looking at shale. If were looking at lime then I'm thinking concrete but silicates good for cement too

So I'm going to attempt my best question here: how feasible is it to separate each of these elements [crude elements or otherwise to any extent] from another to transform raw earth into useable resource

Unlimited concrete can be transformed into like a plaza of unlimited swimming pools. Metals would be awesome too.

Then advice concerning furnace structure could be important too

And stuff. Thanks

Also this thread gets nuked sometimes. Why. This is ultimate diy

Also I'll be going back to basics soon doing DIY experimental stuff with kilns and stuff so if you could lend me some advice with furnace theory I'd appreciate
>>
>>2260791
Ultimately I want a pyramid. Like a fortress castle pyramid thing. The weight of it I have estimated at $250000 in concrete. This borders justification of unlimited concrete.

I hate to tell you this because you're terribly clever people and you might have meaningful manners whenever you disagree without me in respect that although I have difficulty pricing "unlimited concrete" the myriad trucks and equipment involved threaten the cost of a concrete pyramid any ways. The only way to further justify such an endeavour is a. Expand the foundation into a plaza of swimming pools or b start a cement company
>>
>>2260804
For furthermore is it my pleasure I add
>>
HOLY SHIT you schizo fuck GET OFF MY THREAD! I READ ALL YOUR RANTING GARBAGE AND NOW I WANT TO KILL YOU
>>
>>2260557
Coat your ceramic wool in refractory cement, it won't tolerate forging temperatures on it's own and fibers can come loose and be blown out into the air (and thus your lungs) if it's not contained. Cut it with fabric shears, wear a dust mask and eyepro, package it up in a bag or something when you aren't actively going to be cutting it for something new, vacuum the work area you cut it on afterwards.
>>
>>2219242
yummy cancer taste
>>
Can I build a wax burnout oven/kiln? Or should I just buy one for ~$700?
>>
>>2250461
How did you make a chain?
>>
>>2261500
Get a single-layer pottery kiln (the ones where you get get like 20 sections to make a tall one) and stack cheap firebricks as needed on the top. Melt-out and drying doesn't need a lot of heat just a lot of time.
>>
I've got thousands of small tungsten carbide pieces I want to melt down into half inch by 4 inch bars any recs for something to use as a mold?
>>
>>2247857
>>2247369
I tried this out for anyone curious.
the melting point is too low for a charcoal furnace. Even when not melted, the metal remains too hard to shape, and becomes brittle when you try.
Seems like a cast-only alloy.
>>
>>2247857
>>2262810
Apparently it takes well to work hardening through cold hammering from what ive seen.
>>
>>2262957
that's probably what I'll do then thanks.
>>
What's a good metal for making cutlery?
>>
>>2264026
Stainless steel and bronze.
>>
File: raging.gif (80 KB, 220x171)
80 KB
80 KB GIF
>be me
>blacksmith hobby
>want to build a venturi-style gas burner forge
>ofc only shit I can get here is galvanized
>say "I know, I just use battery acid (sulfuric acid) to get rid of it"
>search for sulfuric acid
>don't find any
>since 01.02.2021 they have forbidden the sale of sulfuric acid to private persons because "bomb builders"
>mfw now you have to get to the fucking mechanic to change your battery acid

I am fuming! FUMING! There must be another acid I can use. Maybe Phosphoric Acid?
Yes that might work...and I can get it easily as an ingredient for setting pH of mash...
Fucking EU ruining everything fun. Whoever pushed that law should die by dissatisfied bomber.
>>
>>2264515
Make your own. Super easy.
>>
>>2219237
>Does anyone here dislike the smell of metal?
Yeah fuck me man and I'm mechanical engineer.
>>
>>2241772
I though zinc wuz healthy n shiet ?
>>
File: 82416175.jpg (51 KB, 500x397)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>2219237
>>2264685
Whats with copper?
For some reason pure copper casting leaves a vile smell from sand casting but bronze doesnt.
>>
>>2264680
My own sulfuric acid? Actually I just noticed they forbade battery acid, but you can buy sulfur in Kilogram quantities without problem.

By reacting it with O2 (from your truly hydrogen-generator) and bubbling it through water it should create wonderful sulfuric acid.

Jesus Christ bureaucrats really don't have any idea what they are talking about, do they?
>>
>>2262681
>>mfw now you have to get to the fucking mechanic to change your battery acid

You can´t melt tungsten carbide. While the cobalt gets softer and will at one point liquify, the WC-carbide will dissociate into W2C. Nonetheless you won´t get a melt but a really hot mud instead, because the carbide will stay solid at reasonable temperatures (1600°C).

Recycling of tungsten carbide is done by dissolving the cobalt in liquid zinc and performing a vacuum destillation (metal vapor!). That removes the cobalt binder from the carbide and both can be processed individually again. You need gigantic and expensive equipment for that.
>>
File: JUST_6.jpg (6 KB, 80x107)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>2264942
>and bubbling it through water it should create wonderful sulfuric acid.
no no no
this only yield you sulfur dioxide.
the process is more complex and you need a toxic vanadium catalyst, as well as sulfuric acid to start the process

do what every hillbilly does
throw the pipe in a fire and burn the galvanized off
>>
>>2264942
As per the other anon it is a litttlllee more involved.
https://www.wise-geek.com/what-is-the-connection-between-sulfur-dioxide-and-sulfuric-acid.htm

This shitty clickbait website actually is a good summary.

Nitric acid is one that is a bit harder for amateur chemists.
>>
>>2264955
Pretty sure it goes:
S(s)+O2(g)SO2(g)
SO2 + H2O H2SO3
Can't be that difficult.

>>2264991
>https://www.wise-geek.com/what-is-the-connection-between-sulfur-dioxide-and-sulfuric-acid.htm
I don't need nitric acid but I know it can be made from piss.
But the summary gives good information:
Sulfuric acid was produced in early times by distilling iron II sulfate, or “green vitriol,” and later, by heating a mixture of saltpeter (NaNO3) and sulfur along with steam

So...uhm...They use that green vitrol to make fertilizer / thing that kills moss. Also gives off SO2 and SO3 but H2SO4 remains in the flask.
They say it is
2 FeSO4 --- > Fe2O3 + SO2 + SO3
H2O + SO3 --- > H2SO4

So the process of exposing Sulfur to Oxygen and bubbling it through water might not be that far off, just that yields may be low, which is why they use the catalyst to keep the reaction rate steady while keeping temperature low.

But I just realized muriatic acid (fuck English acid descriptions) should work really really well and is quite safe. It creates hydrogen and a zinc salt. Much safer than sulfuric acid and much easier to clean up. I will pick it up tomorrow.
>>
>>2265021
>just that yields may be low,
yeah i read that yesterday too. its the process behind acid rain
>>
>>2265393
You can get a little bit of platinum and do some slow-as-fuck solid platinum catalysis. Once you have the acids you can use it to make the proper platinum catalyst plates. Or buy shitty knock-offs on Amazon.
>>
File: A_simple_forge.png (13 KB, 683x384)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>2265393
>>2265490
Thank you, but I have no need for it anymore. If I had gone with the HCl, I would have also gotten baking soda. Then I would have washed the parts, and washed them again in a basic solution, to make sure no HCl remains in order to avoid Phosgene.

Instead I found a safe alternative: Blued flue pipe. Years ago, I tried to make a forge from an old barrel, but I did not, for I had built a gas forge and it worked "well enough". Nowadays, the gas forge has died due to cracks in the refractory cement.
Pic relates. One cuts off the top part of the barrel, flips it around and puts it back on using a welding device (be sure to remove the paint, it stinks/burns when welding). Then you use the stick welder to cut a hole out in the middle - I had no plasma cutter and it was late, so I could not use the flex. Take the flue pipe and attach a square piece of sheet metal on it, the attach a "flange" of flat sheet metal.
Place the flue pipe with square attachment and stick it into the whole made in the barrel so about 2cm look out above, and somehow make a conical mold (not sure how I will yet). Make a steel disk with holes in it, and place it into the flue pipe at the top, make sure it is flush with the rest of the barrel.
Put wooden dowels into it, and cast your refractory cement. Let it cure (at least 24 hours above 0C, the warmer the better). Remove the mold after curing, and fire it slightly. When that is done, use a drill or gently punch out the dowels.

Soon I will have a barrel-forge, and with a new makeshift anvil (the last one was too soft), I will be able to stoke the flames again. The Oil-Blower I have tried on a smaller scale forge already and it can burn steel. It has a variable speed controller, as well as a flap to regulate airflow, and doesn't mind higher temperatures.
>>
>>2264515
Where do you live? Ive had similar laws put in place here but for acid attacks.Thankfully its not an outright ban but a lower concentration.With evidence needed that you have a private business use for higher concentrations.

I have been wanting to recycle gold from old electronics but the amount of acids needed has meant its been shelved for now as a project.
>>
File: blower.jpg (3.84 MB, 4032x3024)
3.84 MB
3.84 MB JPG
>>2265519
Pic relates, blower I got years ago for Christmas and it's speed controller (blower: wentylator FG 66 and variable control SX-101).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQL9LveeUtg

Rated voltage: 230 V, Rated frequency: 50 Hz, Power Consumed: 75W, Rated current: 0.4 A, Max capacity: 205 m3/h, Max. back pressure: 240 Pa, Revolutions at max capacity: 1800 rpm
Continuous rotation at max. pressure: 2800 rpm, Working position: any, Sound power level: 62 dB(A)
Weight: 2.0 kg
Minimum supply voltage: 100 V
Since I have no power where the forge will be, I must power it some off-grid way. It seems that those mobile power units are very expensive, and I'd get away cheaper with a car battery, a solar panel and an inverter. For example, with a 70Ah car battery I should get:
70*40 = 840 Wh
840Wh / 75W = ~10 hours of blower
Considering the battery is a) full and b) not being charged with solar power. Using a 100W solar cell with an inverter it should take around 9h of sunshine to load up the battery. Losses of the inverter assumed. I ain't no electrician though.

>>2265553
In the country that gibs monies (not).
You need Hydrochloric Acid and Hydrogen Peroxide don't you? I think the first can be found in department stores (at least here, still) and the second can be rather simply made (albeit a bit dangerous).
Idk about the amounts you need though.
>>
>>2265670
I forgot to add, the guy in the video related takes an oil drum and also saws it in half. He then turns around the BOTTOM half, and cuts a piece outside the top. This is ingenious, for he now has holes already ready for ventilation + a hood. I did not do it this way and I am angry with myself, but...live and learn.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.