[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Electrical-Shock.jpg (62 KB, 786x430)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
I recently bought a new inverter for my portable offgrid setup I'm pretty confident in running unattended.
Now I'd like to use it integrated into my apartment, which two fault current switches for everything except the stove, which is fine for me. These supply the regular fuses, giving me two circuits.
My idea was to use what I know as a suicide cable, to attach my inverter to one of my outlets (and add another bridge to get the second circuit up again) while the fault current switches stay off.
Would it be enough to do it this way or would I need to take further precautions to insulate it from the grid?
I live alone, so the chances of someone accidentally overloading the inverter (a Victron Phoenix 24/2000) or doing something really stupid are relatively slim.
I heard that during power outages people in the US do pretty much the same by attaching a generator to their house's circuits, is that true?

Pic unrelated, I don't own an angle grinder.
>>
>>2207437
This is incredibly dangerous. They're called suicide cables for a reason.
I'm assuming you're in Europe. If you want to run your apartment's sockets off of the inverter, you should install a seperate consumer unit (fusebox) and move your circuits over to that one. Your existing fusebox keeps the grid connection and stove/oven, and the new one will be fed by the inverter and power all the sockets you want to be off-grid.
>>
>>2207449
Yep, I'm in Germany to be more precise, backfeeding, as I just found out it's called is quite unusual here.
If it were my own property, I'd install a transfer switch and be done with it. Guess I'll better leave my apartment's installation alone then, thanks for the input. I thought since it's a thing during power outages elsewhere that there's just some precautions I'd have to take.
>>
>>2207456
Backfeeding is illegal in the US, but some idiots do it anyways. The way I look at it, if you live in an area that gets enough power cuts to warrant construction a dedicated cable, why not just go all the way and get a used transfer switch for $100?
Anyways, for your setup: you could run extension cables along the baseboards. If you color them as your wall they're barely visible, and they'll be yours to take with you when you move out. Extension cables are always useful!
>>
>>2207501
Huh, didn't know it's even illegal, but yeah, makes sense, any fuck up won't just influence your circuits.
That's sort of what I'm doing right now, though I'd need flat cables to make it look a little nicer than just running extension cords on the floor. Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>2207520
it's illegal because if you're back feeding and don't turn off the main breaker you're likely to kill a sparky working on the lines
>>
>>2207531
>you're likely to kill a sparky working on the lines
this.
>>2207437
>doing something really stupid
Use a proper transfer switch. Nobody wants to discover the line they are fixing still has power that they can't shut off because you wanted to save money by doing it wrong.
>>
>>2207567
> no reading comprehension
Of course I'm going to plug my generator into a possibly live outlet without making sure that it's shut off or hell, even checking which wire is neutral and which is live since Schuko happily plugs in both ways. I'm aware that the best thing that could happen is that the phase difference will fry my equipment.
It's up there in the OP that the current fault switch is off, disconnecting not only live but also neutral. It's only accessible from inside the apartment. Still would make me feel a little uneasy, so, again, I'll just leave it and have it properly made when I build my own house.
Also
> Working on electrical lines without checking them for voltage beforehand and pulling live to ground
You do have those safety rules over there, don't you?
>>
>>2207621
>be lineman
>check for voltage on a downed line after a storm
>grounds applied after the first isolation point to protect you from the grid
>some retard hooked up their gen with a suicide cord and not with an interlock, transfer switch or ats
>their gen was off/out of gas/not yet connected when you checked for voltage
>they turn it on later while you're working on a wire that's disconnected from the grounded potion because it's broken and you're fixing it
>extra cwispy.jpg
>>
>>2207621
>You do have those safety rules over there, don't you?
Yeah, you are required to use a transfer switch so the lineman can use a lock out tag out from the single source of power instead of running around to every fucking house disconnecting every meter in the service area before repairing the lines. Do you realize how long it would take to remove all the meters from all the affected houses and reinstall them? Do you want power restored the same decade or not?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.