[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_20210915_042446.jpg (1.16 MB, 1944x2592)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
Anons please help. I have this little bastard in my house. Never had one before. It's making all sorts of skittering and tapping noises. It just ruined some of my preps. It destroyed a case of ramen at least. I have no traps, it's late as hell and I can't sleep because it's loud and I'm anal about pests. How can I catch it with basic supplies? It's in my cabinet right now shitting on my plates :( Please help
>>
Pistola to the viola
>>
>>2207432
Or mousahola
>>
>>2207432
>>2207433
I'm literally about to shoot it. I just opened the cabinets because it's so loud and it's tearing something up. Shredded material went all over the counter. I think it's building a nest. Wtf can I do?
>>
>>2207430
I used to have one in my cabnet.
It ran the same way everytime.
Put a paper bag in it's path and put some wadded up newspaper in it.
Catch it when it runs into the bag.
>>
File: 1631412685358.jpg (74 KB, 404x360)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>2207436
I set a class pickle jar (pretty big one) with some peanut butter and nuts in it and a ramp to get to it. Idk if it'll work I saw this thing jump like a foot onto that microwave. I hope it isn't pregnant. WHY IS IT BUILDING A NEST

I hate pests so much I need it gone anons what can I do AHHHHH
>>
File: 1627857706365.jpg (22 KB, 739x415)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
Check out mousetrap mondays on yt, a tipping lid bucket trap should be fairly easy to bodge together withscrounged parts
>>
>>2207440
The closest thing to a bucket I have is a plastic container about 8 inches tall. I have two big coffee container I can maybe cut the bottom off of one and tape them together. Put a chopstick across it with a soda on the chopstick? Idk part of me wants to give up and just go to the store tomorrow. But it's so obnoxious in there. When I opened the cabinet door half of the nest fell out.
>>
>>2207430
Large bowl with a bit of vegetable oil in the bottom

It will automatically go for the oil smell and become oily and trapped in the bowl. Don't put enough oil for it to drown unless you're a bad person.
>>
>>2207473
apparently this works best with peanut oil
>>
>>2207473
maybe drowning it in oil is not the most humane way to do it but you really shouldn't feel too bad about killing these shitheads. just go buy a couple of mousetraps.
>>
>>2207430
cute. wonder if it's edible
>>
>>2207435
glue traps along the walls
>>
>>2207536
Yep, they're the best. As a plus you can sit and watch the dirty little fucks die of dehydration while they're stuck to the trap, it's beautiful.
>>
>>2207496
All mammals are edible. ALL mammals.
>>
>>2207486
peanut oil trap works better than mousetraps

mousetraps frequently do not kill the mouse instantly and it suffers for hours. while you say you shouldn't feel bad, no good person should seek to cause unnecessary suffering
>>
>>2207444
Now you are talking

Post results
>>
If you’re that anal about pests, you should have a cat. They are based for this. Mine even kills the snakes that crawl in through my floor drain.
>>
> Ola gente what's going on in this thr-
>>
>>2207607
OP here. No homemade trap worked. Even the big glass jar that was shaped in a way that I didn't think it could get out. It apparently can jump. Going to buy traps and kill it today. It kept me up till 6:30 in the morning. Day is ruined. If anyone has an idea to catch it alive so that I can enslave it I will build your trap but you have to be quick before I get the traps
>>
>>2207473
I could try this but even a 4 or 5 inches jar with the mouth funneling inward didn't prevent it from escaping. It's not the regular mice I've seen. It seems to be more "springy" it jumped a good distance. I think it's a different breed than I've seen before but idk
>>
>>2207444
I would go with something slightly larger than 8” because maybe it could jump out of it. You should try something like an oil drum with some pieces of coconut in it.
>>
>>2207706
Also, I would make sure that the rest of your food is properly sealed off if you can. This may make it more likely that the mouse will go for the bait in your trap as opposed to just eating the more convenient food that you’re leaving around. Sealing containers like Tupperware would be best.

There was a thread showing how someone used a bucket from a hardware store. Those are like 12 to 18 inches deep.
>>
>>2207584
Yeah but.. what do you do with the mouse? Smack it with a shoe? Anesthetize with co2 and poke its neck with a small knife? I wouldn't bet on the mouse leaving my property if I just throw it outside and I really don't want to take a hike deep into the woods every time I catch a mouse.
I'm not a crazy person and I generally don't like causing unnecessary pain to living creatures but dealing with literal pests living in my house is something that takes precedence over the feelings of those pests.
In other words, mice are nice but I really just don't want to live with them.
>>
>>2207701
You piu water or glycol in the bucket... then the mouse drowns.

I feel your pain op, but the bucket trap works wonders. Godspeed.
>>
I gave up. It's tearing up the cabinet or wall or something and might be pregnant if it's building a nest. Idk but it has to go. I tried to catch it for my kids sake because they love animals but I can't do this. I bought spring traps and loaded with cheese. The other methods weren't appealing to it. I will post back when the target is eliminated if thread is still up.
>>
>>2207430
Why do you think you need tools? It's one mouse, and you appear to be determined. Set up a camera, strip down to your briefs for style, put on a pair of gloves, utter a battle cry and just go after it with your hands and obliviate it with sheer determination.
>>
>>2207781
You're still referring to a single mouse. There's more of them, you're in denial about this. Get prepared for a lot of dead mice.

If you SEE one, you're past simple measures. That means they're bold, because they're settled in.

Get a lot of traps, get ready for a couple weeks of dead mice, and consider a cat for long term mouse control.
>>
>>2207785
Ok. Greasing up now. I seriously considered killing it in hand to hand combat but it could bite me.
>>2207789
This is what I'm afraid of. If I hear all of that scratching it may not be one. Should I call an exterminator? I have a buddy who would do it for free but I don't want to call in favors unless I can't do it myself.
>>
>>2207795
grab a broom stupid humans have evolved past h2h
>>
this thread is like a rejected tom and jerry episode script
>>
>>2207821
It has been quiet all day. I believe it's in the cabinet. Night has fallen now. And the battle will rage on again. Let's see if it can survive this new gauntlet.
>>
File: IMG_20210915_222356.jpg (1.19 MB, 2592x1944)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
Ladies and gentlemen the raid on Mousama Bin Laden was a success. We got him. It's over.
>>
>>2208116
>>
>>2208116
Nice b8
>>
First clean the house well. No crumbs and no open food. All food that isn't sealed needs to be sealed into a plastic container. Even things like dog food need to be sealed up.

Then lay your mouse traps. Put a ton out where you think the mice are coming in. Use peanut butter as bait, mice can't resist..
>>
>>2208116
Perfect hit, at least it didn't suffer.
>>
>>2208116
leave more traps out theres always more mice you dont see
also use bits of cotton smeared in peanut butter mice have serrated teeth and will catch them on the cotton when they try to lick it clean
>>
>>2208116
One of like many. Report back when the noise keeps happening. Use peanut butter as others said.
>>
>>2207430
If you're fast, catch it in a bucket and cover it with a towel. Then beat it to death or release it far away from your home.

I'd really recommend getting some traps though because they're fast and really don't like being near you.
>>
>>2208165
>>2208174
I think it may have just been the one. It's weird, now I feel bad. It trashed my cabinet in just one day but now I feel like I was unsporting or something. Like I could have done better. Built a catch and release trap myself like the A team.
>>2208178
You're a sick man anon. But I like the way you think.
>>
>>2207430
three traps in every room. always have traps in your house even when you don't have mice. it's only a matter of time before another one gets in, better to kill it on day one than fuck about with mice breeding in your walls
>>
>>2207444
Fill it with water + a little dish-soap. even if the container is shallow enough for the mouse to jump out, ithey'll still drown so long as they can't stay buoyant and they can't touch the bottom with their feet.
>>
>>2208266
>It's weird, now I feel bad. It trashed my cabinet in just one day but now I feel like I was unsporting or something.

You only feel that way because you only had to deal with it for a single night. give it two or three months of constant activity where trapping becomes a sisyphean task and the sadism will start to emerge.
>>
>>2208161
>>2208174
The mice in my area tend to ignore peanut butter bated traps, they always go for the cheese bated ones first.
>>
OP here. Ok guys thanks for the help, you're the best /diy. I'm out now. See you next time I'm in a bind.
>>
>>2208516
Godspeed op
>>
>>2207435
Mouse trap with peanut butter.
>>
>>2207821
Kek
>>
So how do mice get inside walls anyway? I know what a framed in wall looks like. It doesn’t make sense that they’d be able to get in and move around. Especially since the drywall is nailed to all the studs and all the studs are capped with a piece of wood at the top and bottom. It doesn’t make sense that they’d be able to get in at all.
>>
>>2209711
they go through the holes for wiring and plumbing
>>
>>2209711
Are you just normally retarded, or are you gakked out on something? Mice CHEW. Everything. And, they can get in any hole or crack their skulls can get through, and they have small skulls. If they can't get into a hole, vent, or crack, they'll make on.
>>
any pest control anons have any idea what could be causing this? These dirt piles keep appearing next to my house.
>>
>>2209818
another pic
>>
>>2209818
ants?
>>
>>2209821
Nah ive poked it with a stick in other areas and no ants come out. I dont think it's ants.
>>
>>2209818
Worm castings, from earthworms.
>>
>>2209833
Ok cool, I was worried it may be termite related. Worms are good news
>>
File: mous.jpg (2.41 MB, 4320x3240)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
happened just now
>be me, mice running on top of my bedrooms ceiling panels
>get frustrated and make a small hatch into the ceiling of my closet and throw a trap in there
>ff a couple nights and I start to hear some noise from the trap
>decide to wait a couple of minutes to see if the mouse would at least suffocate to avoid it from getting loose or dropping straight on my face when I open the hatch
>after half an hour it still keeps going, occasionally kicking about
>decide to bite the bullet and open the hatch
>couldn't have a better hit but I still hear it breathing
>put it in a plastic bag and take it outside
>to end its suffering, release it from the trap and whip the bag into the side of a tree as hard as I can
>the bag tears open and the mouse flies into the woods, scaring some birds on the way
Godspeed mouse-kun, you will not be missed.

tl;dr: what are some good traps?
>>
>>2210175
Kekola

Helluva way to go
>>
File: p_10007298231.jpg (56 KB, 1000x1000)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>2210175
>what are some good traps?
I used these baited with peanut butter. Rarely had a false trigger with them and I never saw one that was untriggered with bait missing
>>
File: IMG_20210105_210518.jpg (453 KB, 2160x1620)
453 KB
453 KB JPG
>>2211848
My little shoah
>>
>>2211848
These are just way nastier to work with but at least this wouldn't leave the mouse suffocating for a couple of hours. If these supercats had a bit more kick to them they would be perfect.
>>
>>2207781
You need to find and eliminate it's food source. If you have pets, absolutely do no leave their food out all day.
>>
>>2207430
Just catch him and let him go anon, mice are smart, he just wants a home and thought yours was up for sharing, just throw him out with a piece of bread.
>>
>>2208116
lil nigga pissed himself
brutal
>>
>>2208116
Got em
>>
>>2207430
put some shit it likes in a drawer or basket
when the fucker goes for it, take the whole drawer/basket outside

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.