[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: deck.jpg (469 KB, 1265x1057)
469 KB
469 KB JPG
I fucking love decks and stuff.

Post pictures of your dream decks/verandahs/balconies, etc.
>>
Why would you ever put the chimney on the outside? It makes no sense. Are you trying to heat your deck with it? Especially in a colder climate where the fireplace would potentially be actually used for heating.
>>
File: bamadeck.jpg (228 KB, 1000x750)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
>>2206807
:)
>>
>>2206819
a lot of houses in the Midwest are built this way, the fireplace is nothing more than a decoration or for ambiance with a side affect of putting out heat
i personally wouldn’t put one there, but you can use it to take some of the load off your furnace
>>
>>2206921
A lot of homes in NY are like this. They run pellet stoves and oil burners directly outside the house. Some get covered with decoration.
>>
>>2206807
I've got a deck like pic related and I need to figure out what I can do with the empy space below.
>>
File: flat.jpg (114 KB, 861x545)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
Enjoyed low decking
>>
File: 1760s chimney.png (104 KB, 302x575)
104 KB
104 KB PNG
>>2206819
Depends. In a modern house it's just because people like the look of a brick chimney on the outside because it seems classic and traditional.
But it looks traditional because it is, it was really popular a few hundred years ago when fireplaces where the primary means of heating.
There's a bunch of different possible reasons, including just "that was the fashion at the time," but it does have some benefits. It reduces the risk of house fires from chimney fires. You can have a small cooking fire for soup in the summer without expiring. It's just simpler and cheaper to build. The style of fireplace at the time used a really large, deep firebox that would take most of a whole room if you didn't stick it out the side, because you were burning big logs instead of coal like a victorian home. It's not like they didn't know it could be done.
Some time in the 1800s is when they started using smaller, interior fireplaces with a narrower chimney up through the roof more often, and in modern homes they're just an accent and maybe supplementary to gas or electric heat or whatever the house has, but people still like that colonial look so it shows up in designs.
>>
File: flor.jpg (105 KB, 600x800)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>
>>2206819
That lets you pull down the chimney with a rope if it had an internal fire threatening the house. It's also the classic way to remove chimneys (I've done it after asking my contractorbro, worked perfectly).
>>
>>
>>2207453
Jacuzzi, it would be nice because it'd heat the planks above in the winter
>>
File: 9362074_orig.jpg (80 KB, 604x453)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>2208158
That's not a bad idea

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.