[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: download (8).jpg (51 KB, 781x596)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
Why didn't you fuckers tell me polished concrete was so god damn expensive?

How is this shit 3x the price of carpet for 1/3 the work?

What a racket
>>
>>2206142
It's trendy. It looks like shit after a year though.
>>
>>2206151
Any reason for it to look like shit after a year? It looks simple to clean
>>
>>2206158
You can't clean scratches and wear paths.
>>
>>2206158
What >>2206200 said. Polish wears down, things get beat up. Carpet tends to hide it better and is easier to maintain and clean if there's a fuck huge stain. If there's a problem on wood or tile you can replace that specific plank/tiles/etc, fill it in, lots of options.

For polished concrete what you see is what you get. Every indoor concrete floor that I've seen has turned to shit faster than any other type of flooring. Keep it in the garage.
>>
>>2206207
but you can just polish it again. this is like saying you shouldnt have hardwood floors because they'll eventually need to be refinished.
>>
>>2206209
exactly, carpet is a much better solution
>>
>>2206142
Carpet is a cheap product. Anyone with half a brain and a cutter can lay it. Pouring and polishing concrete needs more skills and special tools.
>>
>>2206207
How does that work with the commercial settings like walmart floors etc that use polished/sealed concrete? The walmart closest to my house has the same floors for more than 15 years now and they still look the same (although I don't love the look of concrete anyway)
Are they just polishing and refinishing often, or is it epoxy coated or something?
>>
File: buffbot.jpg (257 KB, 1280x720)
257 KB
257 KB JPG
>>2206217
>Are they just polishing and refinishing often
They literally have floor buffers do the store every night.
>or is it epoxy coated or something
Also yes.
>>
>>2206209
Can't wait to polish my floor with a huge machine once a week to keep it looking nice
t. someone who has never worked with this type of flooring

>>2206217
See >>2206238.They have cleaning contracts and industrial equipment because they're a huge corporation. What they do is unsustainable for the average person and makes 0 sense.
>>
>>2206266
>Can't wait to polish my floor with a huge machine once a week to keep it looking nice
i've rented AirBnbs with polished concrete floors, these small time land lords sure as shit arent using huge machines to polish it every week you retard
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/20074561
>>
>>2206271
It's almost like people aren't living in them full time anon, wow, who would've guessed you wouldn't consider other factors and just blindly spew garbage about something you actually know nothing about?

>tries to post pic to prove others wrong
>picture shows shitty dulled floors with obvious staining

You really are a burden on the world, wasting limited resources. A shame.
>>
>>2206286
>It's almost like people aren't living in them full time anon
its almost as if you're retarded and that they are. pic related is the availability. as always, stay btfo
>>
Probably the trick, much like wooden floor, is to simply maintain it. You don't get it nice once then wait until it's completely fucked and redo it. You just regularly wax and buff it, doesn't take long at all. Same way you'd regularly mop a tile floor, or vacuum carpet. Any surface, without the proper, regular maintenance, is going to go to shit.
>>
>>2206302
I'm serious when I say this, you might have autism
>>
>>2206271
man i absolutely completely hate this kitchen in every way
>>
>>2206325
>b-b-but people arent there for 5 days out of the month
>that will completely change the wear pattern from completely fucked to perfectly fine
stay btfo anon, concrete floors are fine in a home

>>2206326
my gf liked it, and this place is booked most of the year at $165 a night for a place in the middle of no where so plenty of other people do too
>>
I did an entire house in terrazzo and it required a special machine and an expensive set of polishing pads. It also took me a couple weeks, working 8~ hours a day 5 days a week. So if it’s anything like that, I can see why it would be expensive.
>>
>>2206338
basically all airbnbs are booked and im paying $200 to stay in a nothing house in a city. 165 a night isnt anything lol
>>
>>2206142
looks great
have fun
carpet is trash
>>
>>2206535
no one cares about you renting some shitty nothing house
>>
>>2206238
Thats not a buffer it's just a mop on wheels.
>>
>>2206142
Okay OP here,

I've decided to do tile.

Here is my question. Do I need to sand my floor down before I do tile? It was previously carpeted but no padding, the carpet was glue'd do the floor? Just wondering if the mortar will stick to the glue on the floor or if you're supposed to sand it first? Also what type of machine do you need to sand it and where do you get it? I have a belt sander I've used for a wall before
>>
>>2206896
>Just wondering if the mortar will stick to the glue on the floor or if you're supposed to sand it first?
I would take a floor scraper and just go over it to get most of it up.
>>
>>2206216
>this product is harder to install, that means it's better
What a stupid way of thinking.
>>
>>2206216
>>2206207
ya i can't do carpet, thats what i just ripped up. I live in Michigan we tend to have flooding issues often enough. I've lived here 3 years and I've had flood issues 3x. With tile for the most part I can just mop it up.
>>
File: floor buffer.jpg (89 KB, 1103x735)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>2206238
Yep... I remember back in high school we'd always see a janitor polishing the floor somewhere in the building with one of those big rotary floor buffers. I would guess that the entirely of the schools floors were buffed maybe like once a month.

In pretty much any commercial building with polished floors you'll find the janitorial crew has one of these things because they need to polish the floors all the time.

In any high traffic areas, the shine on polished concrete wears away quite quickly. When the shine is gone the surface is becoming more porous, at which point it will start holding on to dirt. That's why it needs to be constantly maintained.
>>
>>2206142
It also looks like shit unless it's in a garage
>>
>>2206896
Honestly give it a light scrape and you'll be fine don't worry about getting every bit of glue off. Use polymer modified thinset, that shit sticks to everything.
>>
>>2206928
They probably had vinyl tile. They need to be stripped and re waxed frequently, but the benefit is if you do this they last literally forever because the protective layer is constantly worn and replaced. If you use luxury vinyl tile you pay a bit more and don't need to wax but eventually they will wear out.
>>
>>2206934
>They probably had vinyl tile.
It was concrete, if it was vinyl tile I wouldn't have mentioned it because it would have been irrelevant to the discussion.
>>
File: proxy-image (13).png (106 KB, 400x400)
106 KB
106 KB PNG
>>2206151
Then lay some wax.
>>
>>2206151
My neighbors polished cement floors look like royal shit a couple years later. Is it just a matter of polishing them again?
>>
>>2207107
>Is it just a matter of polishing them again?
yes

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.