[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: minute key.png (64 KB, 373x700)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
went with a friend to a Walmart and watched him make several keys. and they actually worked fine when he tried them on his front door
>>
>>2205858
No.
>>
>>2205858
Yes
>>
>>2205858
How will that machine help you if you've locked your keys in your car?
>>
>>2205881
you chuck it through windshield duh
>>
>>2205858
it's just a cnc vending machine
could have had this shit 70 years ago if they wanted

Real locksmith's job is to go out and get paid to break into the homes and cars of retards
>>
>>2205858
copying keys is 1% of a locksmith's business.
>>
>>2205858
Not really. Plus I guess a locksmith could just have that machine at his business considering his job is more than just copying keys.
>>
>>2205887
>could have had that 70 years ago
The machine could not have chosen the proper keyway, and you would have needed an operator to put the blank in properly. Many keyways require different machinery — a simple machine cannot cut all kinds of keys.

>Real locksmith's job is to go out and get paid to break into the homes and cars of retards
There's a lot of money there but it's an unreliable market because you cannot predict how many customers will call each day, as there could be no call on one day. Bread and butter is really in the management of key systems for buildings. The customers come with building plans and access requirements, and the locksmith devises a master key system so that every employee can only access relevant rooms using as few keys as possible.

Nowadays, systems using keycards are being installed more, but the principle is still the same, although we are using access lists and groups instead.
>>
>>2205858
Lies. Thise things never work properly and everyone knows it. The local Lowe's has one. People will line up and wait for an employee to cut their keys rather than use that piece of shit.
>>
>>2205858
I moved last year and wanted to see how much that kiosk would charge me for 2 extra sets of 6 keys. These kikes wanted $100 and the machine didnt even have blanks for my front door. Its not even some obscure security key, just a rather typical looking blank.
>>
>>2205858
Nobody goes to locksmiths to get a new kwikset house key made.
I walk into an Ace Hardware and get new house keys made.
Minute keys are ugly and shitty, and cost more.

You go into a locksmith to have them rekey your whole house without replacing the handlesets, or to have them break you into a car or house or somewhere you are locked out of.
Also for years after getting a new car, I would walk into the local locksmith/Gun safe store and have them cut me new car keys.
They even did chipped keys way cheaper than a dealership.

Now that I own an actual new car with pushbutton start not just a craigslist junker I wont ever be going in there.
Im guessing its going to further hurt their business.
Almost all new cars in the last 4-5 years are smart keyed except for the ultra basemodels.
>>
>>2206010
My lowes and Menards have physically removed the manual key cutting machines and put the minute key machines right in that area. They simply dont cut keys anymore.
Lowes gets a kickback from MinuteKey to have their machine there, and they dont have to deal with mad customers that their retard employee fucked up the keys.

And the reality is, the machines work great.
Being out in the open with their printed keys gets people to impulse buy new keys too.
I have a few and hate the uncoated unpainted blanks, they have MinuteKey written on them and are terrible.

Most people dont give a fuck
>>
>>2206039
>Being out in the open with their printed keys gets people to impulse buy new keys too.
This. I just can't help myself. Every time I see one of those machines I just have to get a key made. I'm up to 49 house keys and 26 mailbox keys.
Help.
>>
>>2205858
They have had these at every home Depot for the last 20 years.
>>
>>2205858
No, because in my place they sharpen knives and scissors, repair watches sometimes, sometimes shoes.
>>
>>2205881
No, but a black man would, he has field experience, he will make ur car going even if you don't have keys
>>
>>2205858
All the local places around me only have these kiosks, but the machine never has the blank for the key I need to get copied. One of these days I need to get to a proper locksmith I guess, before I lose the one and only key to my motorcycle lol.
>>
>>2206051
kek
>>
>>2206311
you mean the lockal plces?
>>
>>2205858
>no double ended keys
>no non straight shank keys
>no car keys
>no broken keys
>no cut via code
>been around since 2008
>still plenty of smalltime and chain brand locksmiths everywhere
nah i think theyll be fine
>>
>>2205858
I went to use one of those to try an copy a key for an 89 truck, the one I used said it was a "special" key and would cost $45 to make and would take several weeks.

Ace hardware made me a copy in 5 minutes for $2.
>>
>>2205881
Some of us try not being retarded fucking zoomers, and we instead plan ahead for thing like this.
>>
>>2207327
Why would you plan ahead for locking your keys in your car? Just don't lock your keys in your car.
>>
File: rknair.jpg (5 KB, 170x170)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>2207354
>>
>>2205943
>The machine could not have chosen the proper keyway,
We had a similar machine at my supermarket 10 years ago, it scanned the key with a camera to decide which black OR you could ask for a customer services agent to manually enter the key type.
I tried maybe 6 or 7 different keys because I wanted to see how it worked, it couldn't cut any of them. It lasted about a year then they got rid of it.
>>
>>2205858
(Hey anon, in the real world people won't trust getting important stuff from machines they can't blame)
>>
>>2205943
Like the other anon said, it's just fancy CNC. You could have it done with a simple setup, the key doesn't need to be scanned, just ridges measured.
>>
File: medeco.png (111 KB, 504x336)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>>2207421
lol
>>
>>2205858
I wanted a copy of my basic-ass ERA key, and the machine couldn't do it.
The dude at the key counter at Lowes did it just fine.
>>
>>2207327
Part of that plan: knowing how to call a locksmith.
>>
>>2207327
Have you never been married or even had a girlfriend? For some reason there's a very large segment on the female population is unable to not lock their keys inside their vehicle.
>>
>>2207500
I grantee that the machines nowadays don't do those, least not the fucking green ones.
>>
>>2205881
Not like "real" locksmiths are any better. I'd bet 99% would just tell you it's impossible and smash the window to get inside. Also without requiring any proof you owned the vehicle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvlzZnhZhrc
>>2206010
Actual key grinding is going away fast. Even at lowes and home depot the machine is the same, it's just that you have to wait for some brain-dead zoomer or old woman to waddle over and put the blank in the machine instead of doing it yourself. There's obviously some exceptions, but lowes and home depot are going to quit doing those at some point. So you'll be left with local locksmiths and eventually online-only solutions where you have to mail the key off and wait 5 weeks.
>>
These should have been a thing years ago.
Locksmiths charge far to much for key cutting now that locks are so standardized.

Locksmiths exist because retarded lock themselves out and some people are generally aware that a thief can break into your business as fast as the machine cuts your key.

My boss freaked out when I opened his 12k security roller door with a pair of scissors and a coat hanger in like 3 minutes- and that included the time I spent rubbing the coat hanger on the pavement.
Now he thinks I'm a master criminal because he refuses to believe a professional security company would lie to him.
>>
>>2207500
I could do that by eye with an angle grinder, a pencil and sandpaper
>>
>>2208107
post vid or bust
>>
>>2206051
Youd be surprised at the amount of tards that see a shiny Batman logo on a key blank who rip out their credit cards.
>>
>>2205858
since they are unmanned and unsupervised this is where folks now go to get "do not duplicate" keys made. at least the type that are not a weird blank but just use regular standard blanks
>>
>>2206255
Black men are so helpful they'll drive your car for you once they've unlocked it. Problem is you'll never get it back
>>
>>2205858
These have been around for at least a decade. No, they're not gonna put locksmiths out of business. There are also plenty of situations where you don't just need a key copied and a locksmith will be able to help
>>
>>2211518
This is where you get collar with a leash for your car unlock enthusiast.
>>
>>2208098
You're a retard who has had zero experience with locksmiths. Go jump off a bridge.
>>
>>2211838
Locksmith hands typed this post
>>
File: keyme.png (92 KB, 498x928)
92 KB
92 KB PNG
>>2205858
a contender appears

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.