[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Which retard decided that hiding plumbing or wiring is a good idea?
It might look like shit, but it has these benefits:
>way cheaper (you have 1-2 main pipes that are thick-ish, instead of one even thicker and spaghetti of pipes going from some common area to exact flat)
>way more reliable as in soviet russia you build walls around plumbing, not plumbing around walls
>way more repairable (as leaks can be noticed before they cause damage to structure, which is especially important in american wooden houses with OSB subfloors.)
>way easier to work on as you don't need to imagine urself a TSA agent performing a cavity search when trying to reach pipe via tiny access panel
>can be used as communication tool, for ex, you can use a hammer and signal neighbors they are fucking assholes
>>
>>2204410
pete and allison smithson did that. they invented Brutalism.
>>
Exposed receptacles are common in industrial environments for service and or modifications/additions.
>>
>>2204410
Why not just live in a barn? Exposed rafters, joists, and columns are great for hanging all manner of things.
>>
>>2204410
your thesis is incorrect
try again
>>
>>2204410
You like living in a god damn crackhouse,son..baka
>>
>>2204410
Based and warehouse-pilled.
Even normalfags are catching onto this idea. My mother goes to Costco all the time, and she's been talking to me about building a house with exposed wiring running along a cathedral ceiling.
>>
>>2204431
That would be cool.
>>
>>2204410
>I've never dealt with teenagers or trashy people
>>
it's honest, and anything done deliberately and honestly is good looking

also i work repairs and jesus christ stop boxing everything in
>>
>>2204546
If you mess with water or toilet mains, neighbors will make fuck u
>>
>>2204546
Why would I want any of them in my house?
>>
I think a better alternative would be building houses in a way that doesn’t require literally breaking the house in order to access something. can you imagine if you had to cut a hole in the hood of your car and then weld it back closed every time you needed to fix something? interior walls should be built out of removable panels with accessible fasteners rather than making every effort to pretend like there are no screws and the entire wall is one continuous piece

houses are just so fucking vain, we need to take the car-pill and build them in a way that acknowledges they need to be repaired occasionally
>>
>>2204591
Because everything that normally has to be fixed is accessible. Properly installed utilities don't need to be worked on hardly ever. Sewer lines will have cleanouts at the correct places. All electrical junctions are accessible. What else would all those hundreds of panels give you access to? People like the look of finished walls, and if once every three decades a wall has to be opened then that's ok.

As for OP, there are some house designs where ducts and pipes are exposed, much like you see in Home Depot. I understand that it's more of a Euro thing, but I've seen a few in the USA. The reason they are not more popular is it looks bad to most people. As a handyman I see the appeal, but I recently remodeled a room and considered leaving the drywall un-taped and just raw sheetrock that could easily be unscrewed if I wanted to change the wiring. I eventually said fuckit and finished it properly. It looks nice and comfy, and not like a half-finished garage. But now I see that I wish I had added a dimmer circuit, and a 12 VDC supply circuit, but I don't want any more wires tacked to the walls than I already have.
>>
>>2204410
>Are your tubes looking old and worn out.
>>
File: 100832_image_100832_3.jpg (130 KB, 700x700)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>2204410
if they weren't that expensive i would put these new produced 1920 Bakelite switches everywhere.
>>
>>2204410
I feel a better method is building design based on wall pipes. Put in a closet behind where the bathroom/kitchen pipes are. Maybe so that between them is just 1 walk in closet with a water heater and no wall panels in the closet so all connections can be accessed.
Now you also have a walk in storage closet to toss in a breaker box, vacuum/mops, small tool chest and other shit you normally dont show guests or want in a regular bedroom closet.
>>
>>2204590
You really need to read the OP there, genius.
>>
File: ShowerManifold.jpg (1.75 MB, 2448x2448)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB JPG
>>2204410
Low budget anon here.
All of my copper is exposed. The vents are in the wall, and the drains are on the basement ceiling.
Pic is of my shower mixer. The hot valve started leaking, so I threw in another valve. LOL
One chick commented, "OMG! It looks like the gas chambers!"
>>
File: 1621476916955m.jpg (296 KB, 1019x1024)
296 KB
296 KB JPG
>>2204410
Now THIS is an idea:

The methods of classic architecture, brought into the modern age. We're gonna make these pipes and wiring look so damn good, its like playing a DOOM wad when you go to the bathroom. Your kitchen will look like a nuclear power plant.

We shall call this new school...
FUNCTIONALISM.
>>
>>2204892
>One chick commented, "OMG! It looks like the gas chambers!"
KEK
>>
>>2204892
>One chick commented, "OMG! It looks like the gas chambers!"
You should tell her that's a fairy tale
>>
>>2204818
I didn't realize they still made these. I've been wanting to replace some of my old ones and I still probably won't because god damn those are expensive.
>>
I like the idea of exposed conduit / plumbing except for the louder plumbing, but I'm sure that can be mitigated with insulated wrapping.
With enough artistic skill, you could probably make the plumbing and wiring look tasteful enough that your bitch wife won't complain.

I think the next best thing to exposed utilities is burying them, BUT, also having crawlspaces and walls wide enough that you can go in between walls to do any sort of plumbing or wiring you desire. That way you can cover everything up but still have easy access. Wide walls use up a lot of space and add cost, but have a side benefit of making excellent soundproofing between rooms.
>>
>>2205059
they bought the original tooling for those and make them from real Bakelite.
probably not easy dealing with phenol and formaldehyde under heat and pressure.
>>
>>2204410
It looks like shit.
>>
>>2204963
>when the engineer is just a dude bro instead of a full blown autist
>>
>>2205143
This seems like an ideal product to 3d print
>>
>>2204892
seriosuly requesting more pix of the shower setup
im so close to doing this i am so tired of shit leaking in an old house
>>
>>2204963
Please tell me that sign says “do not touch”
>>
File: GasChamber1.jpg (1.34 MB, 2448x2448)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
>>2205762
It's straightforward, anon. Hot and cold pipes rising from the basement, with a check valve on the cold. You dont need the top ball valve since I only put it on there due to stop a slow leak and couldn't be bothered to change the leaky valve. The shower head is just a low flow cheap thing.
>>
File: GasChamber2.jpg (1.36 MB, 2448x2448)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>2205769
>>
>>2205769
>>2205770
thank you for the images, this is fucking great, I approve of the gas chamber
>>
>>2204591
I always liked the idea of having a wall to floor 'panel' that blended into the wall that made it look like an accent, but was really a channel for wiring or piping.

Could maybe do a baseboard thing with it too.

having it exposed is only looks good in some specific setups; you dont have to access it THAT often. but it might be a good thing to put in if youre doing a repairs on an older structure.
>>
>>2204892
This is next level bogan.
I'm pretty sure you wasted 40-50 bucks in valves, why not buy proper faucet?
>>
>>2204963
audiophiles baka
>>
>>2205770
>>2205769
lol
>>
>>2204892
>>2205762
Don't underestimate the need for the check valve on the cold. Without one, if someone flushes the toilet while you're taking a shower, the cold water pipe will suck some hot water from the shower mixer and you will get warm water in your toilet bowl. This is even more likely if you have a flow-restricting shower head and run the shower with valves fully opened.
>>
>>2204892
I was so close to doing this, as I love simple highly reliability setups. But ended up not doing it because

1. It was against the dumb code which meant they could condemn my bathroom, and since it was the only bathroom it would then automatically condemn my house for not having a working bathroom. So getting my whole house condemn and possibly having me to pay to demolish per inspectors recommendation didn't seem worth it. I pissed of 1 of the 14 chief inspectors in my area who would totally recommend that instead of just a valve replacement.

2. Needs a check valve to prevent back flow issues. Cold water from toilet flush is just one of many things that could go wrong, even if that rarely happens.

3. My existing plumping is practically a battery given all the mixed metals, because last owner apparently had no understanding of galvanic corrosion. Splicing in a new copper section would just make it worse.

>>2205769
>>2205770
Not having require supports anchoring every 12 inches, must be nice to have that freedom fella.
>>
>>2205934
>must be nice to have that freedom fella.
It sure is, anon, as long as I don't invite inspectors over.
>>
>>2205792
>I'm pretty sure you wasted 40-50 bucks in valves, why not buy proper faucet?
Nah, a commercial shower mixer costs about the same as this entire setup, at least it was when this was fabricated.
>>
>>2205792
>This is next level bogan
Let's face it, houses design is catered to women. Gas chamber bro obviously lives alone and laughs at what women think of his place.
>>
>>2205969
You should have used globe valves with rubbers though. Ball valves don't like being half open.
And they are cheaper
>>
>>2206137
But you lose out on that quarter turn aesthetic.
>>
>>2206137
The rationale behind the ball valves was based on the fact that my water heater temp is set to my preferred shower temp. I turn the hot full bore and the cold off when showering.
>>
>>2206154
You should have used gas valve
>>
>>2206179
top kek
>>
>>2204410
in my bathroom its run around the bottom of the wall and then boxed in.
this is the perfect compromise.
>>
>>2204410
>way more reliable as in soviet russia you build walls around plumbing, not plumbing around walls
uhhhh, anyone plumbing around walls instead of walling around plumbing is just a retard, it's definitely not the norm or in code anywhere
>>
>>2206227
There is no place in code that don't allow you to run pipes exposed. All you need is to make sure pipe is properly supported. Done.
>>
File: harold diy 2.jpg (51 KB, 474x711)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>2204410
this is actually a good idea. thankyou for making my job easier.
t. property maintenance/trades
>>
>>2204963
i think of this every time i see painted pipes or anyone trying to hide any machinery ever.
it's my plan for my future house: hide nothing, make a feature of all pipes, conduits, cables, etc.
>>
File: flex 2.jpg (22 KB, 480x360)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>2205769
>>2205770
>>2204892
absolute legend
>>
>>2206332
This is exactly the reason why commieblocks have pipes exposed. I've even seen ppl get fined for moving/embedding heating pipes and water pipes inside wall.
Funnily enough, nobody dicks around with sewer pipes.
>>
File: OIP (6).jpg (11 KB, 474x354)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>2205770
>>
>>2204963
Looks like my appartment. Unexperienced guests sometimes trip over, but they fast learners. Usually.
>>
>>2204410
Hows about this negotiation with bitch wife: removable paneling barely hiding the pipes. To fix a shower in the US you need to demolish a wall of tile and can damage studs.
>>
>>2204608
>People like the look of finished walls
lofts are a thing, and people pay a premium for them
>>
>>2206332
propertymanagement-tradie here. it's too comfy. It's not luxury money but my quality of life is, on some dimensions, through the roof. I live in the middle of all my buildings, the shop is 5 minutes away by foot, and I'm in good with the old folks who run my own building, for affordable rent in a nice part of town. Sidework throwing itself at you. And I don't break my back for nobody. It's awesome.
>>
>>2207142
Idk, every time I try making a room more like loft, i end up with soviet commieblock room :/
>>
>>2207142
People dont pay a premium for them, they're still the cheap units in expensive trendy cities.

That's why the cool trendy starving artists live in them, because they're cheap
>>
>>2207181
you really are this retarded arent you? have fun living with your mom.
>>
File: OIP (7).jpg (20 KB, 474x248)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>2207204
>>
>>2204410
i would never shower nor bathe in this bathroom
i might take a dump but only if all other options have been exhausted
>>
>>2207482
Jews fear the gas pipes
>>
>>2204818
Hey I have an original one in my basement.
>>
>>2207142
>people pay a premium for them
They're idiots.
>>
>>2207835
>They're idiots.
That's not a very nice way to say "new yorkers".
>>
>>2207848
Idk, I'd like all pipes and wiring exposed so i can diagnose and fix shit myself.
>>
>>2204410
Commie blocks have exposed heating pipes because they function as additional radiator surface. Water pipes may be exposed in some cases because prefabricated walls and solid concrete bathroom modules make it much harder to bury the pipes in the walls. Gas pipes tend to be exposed for safety. There is reason for exposed pipes and it's almost never convenience.
Pipes buried in walls are not inherently harder to work on than exposed pipes. If you can install a valve or fit a pipe, you can remove some tile, chisel out some fucking mortar, make new grooves if you need them, fix the pipe, splash some mortar back on and stick the tile back. It's not hard, just messy. The leak in a buried pipe you spring every 25 years or so is your cue to redo your bathroom anyway.
I'd rather do that than dust another 50 feet of hard to reach surface every week.
>>
>>2207893
>Commie blocks have exposed heating pipes because they function as additional radiator surface.
Doubt. Compare size of radiator and steel pipe.
> Water pipes may be exposed in some cases because prefabricated walls and solid concrete bathroom modules make it much harder to bury the pipes in the walls.
Also doubt.
> Pipes buried in walls are not inherently harder to work on than exposed pipes.
Wrong. If you have a pipe, let's say in a concrete slab, or wall... You have to use a fucking rotary hammer and pray you won't make a hole in pipe. And all this is just for inspection and shit leaks somewhere else, at the neighbours place or whatever... And now you have to deal with a giant hole in concrete slab and fuckton of concrete chunks you have to dispose of somehow.

Which is why hiding pipes, especially in fucking concrete, or in plaster layer is retarded.
>>
File: haruhi 2.jpg (37 KB, 500x282)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>2207933
how is this guy simultaneously retarded, makes sense, but then contradicts himself in the next line ...
>>
>>2207204
He's right, they're expensive because they're often single bedroom apartments in desirable areas with high ceilings
>>
>>2207163
Wood brick and high ceilings. Concrete will just feel commie block.
>>
>>2205368
There are cheap ones on ebay made in Bulgaria or somewhere. from black polystyrene.
there thrash.
the goodness about Bakelite is how heavy and dense it feels. more like ivory than plastic
>>
>>2204410
i like the pipes in new industrial buildings. there exposed on the wall but made from Stainless steel. spaced evenly and not cobbled together soviet pipes
>>
>>2207142
>the back room of a 1920s butcher shop / packing house / machine shop with a coat of white paint
This is the kind of place where the poorest of the poor would live until someone convinced urbanites that it was hip and trendy.
>>
>>2207728
its probably from 1920 but those were build like tanks is probably going to last another 100 years.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.