[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 85 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1258.jpg (231 KB, 1000x722)
231 KB
231 KB JPG
As far as I'm aware, most places won't allow this, but my question is this: are there any that will? I have a 30k budget total. I was thinking of buying some cheap land and plopping one of these bad boys down, putting in some insulation, reinforcing the frame, and of course, putting it on a foundation.

How retarded am I?
>>
>>2201288
Picrel is my future black wife. Top tier women come easy when you're living like a tuff shed king.
>>
Yes there are places that have minimal regulations. Have you looked for land at all yet? Do you know what you can expect to pay?
>>
>>2201288
I’ve thought about just doing it and waiting for someone to complain. If you go far enough out there are too many trees for anyone to even know.
Just don’t be a complete slob or loud.
>>
The trick to living in a shed is finding property that already has a house on it, and paying the owners under the table. Code enforcement officers don't have a spidey sense whenever a shed in their jurisdiction is being illegally inhabited.
>>
Find land with "recreational" zoning. Then you can have a "hunting cabin."
>>
>>2201288
No woman will live in a cuck shed with you. My wife would leave my dumb ass if I made her live in a cuck shed with me. Get a mobile home/trailer or inherit/buy a house. You're going to embarrass her in front of her family and friends.
>>
>>2201288
A 30k budget is pretty rough if you want to live anywhere close to civilization. That being said, people build unpermitted stuff all the time and get away with it for decades. Just keep a good relationship woth the neighbors so they don't complain.
>>
File: 1500488550162.jpg (328 KB, 1280x854)
328 KB
328 KB JPG
this thread interests me

i've been looking at "cabin" etc blueprints they're basically sheds. some of them are rather nice tho
https://www.pinuphouses.com/cottage-plans/small-cottage-house-plans-with-wrap-around-porch-cora/
https://www.pinuphouses.com/plans/japanese-small-house-plans/

there's other sites but here's a couple that were just interesting
the dream is a cabin in the woods away from most people but within an half-hour of a grocery store
>>
>>2201444
>within an half-hour of a grocery store

Just stock your fucking pantry and make monthly runs. A half hour is nothing and won't be far enough out in most cases except from some dollar store or worse, a ripoff geedonk where the owner buys at retail then marks it up.
>>
>>2201423
That's one shitty wife
>>
>>2201288
30k MIGHT get you the utilities.
>>
>>2201448

ok my dude calm down we have cars I can drive 15-20 miles in a half an hour its not like I'm going to be living in the Yukon accessible only by plane
I do intend to have a pantry I just don't want neighbors up my ass
>>
>>2201448
>A half hour is nothing and won't be far enough out in most cases
This is a pretty common fallacy among prepperfags. You're less safe in the boonies than you are in a decent neighborhood outside a small town. In a SHTF scenario it's gonna be like South Africa and the nigger gangs will be visiting you on your remote homestead because there are no witnesses nearby. Good luck motivating the wife and kids to keep a nightly watch after the 3rd night or so.
>>
>>2201471
Housing is 90% of female attraction desu.
>>
>>2201480
To add to this, any would-be burgler can get a $150 drone and recon your property pretty thoroughly at his leisure. Unless you have a properly hardened compound it's better to live in a low density neighborhood and keep a good relationship with your neighbors
>>
>>2201474
I won't be requiring any utilities, sir. I will create my own utilities

>>2201313
I have found numerous properties within my price range, all of them in various parts of this great land. My only problem is deciding whether I can stomach the freezing cold or barren and inhospitable land.

How do housing inspectors even know if you're living in a cuck shed? I have a friend who says they can use satellite imagery, but I'm not sure if some podunk town is gonna bother with that. Idk though. I guess if you're low key and don't make too much of a ruckus you'll be fine, but damn if you're caught living in one. I'm sure the fines will be enough to make ya never do it again.
>>
>>2201423
Well, I reckon if a girl is willing to marry me, she's also the type to live in a cuck shed.
>>
>>2201508
You’re supposed to get a permit when you get a shed. Idk if there’s a minimum size for that in most places though.
As long as you pay your taxes I don’t think anyone actually cares unless you try this in a neighborhood.
>>
>>2201313
Oh and I've actually found many cheap properties in the Sierra Nevada mountains. The fires there have decimated entire rural communities, and people are selling 100k parcels of land for 15-20k. I don't know much about fires, but I'd assume once a forest is burnt down, it can't burn again for awhile. And not just that, but I'd assume the soil would be great for farming, especially since the soil won't be competing for water with the pine trees.
>>
>>2201513
Depending on the type of forest fire it's either burned to shit and shitty forest management will ensure a new superfire turns up again. Or it's a "normal" forest fire and the woods are just fine already reclaiming the land again.
>>
>>2201513
Of you're in california, you can build a 12' x 10' shed without any permits as long as youre not running plumbing or water to it. It can be 9' tall which is tall enough for a loft to sleep in (saves a lot of square footage on the floor)
>>
File: industrial-20.jpg (54 KB, 500x750)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>2201520
Loft design, I'd personally put a desk under it and have the other half be the bathroom/kitchen area. You can run a 120sqft house on a generator, water will be the big problem. If you don't have a well, you will need a big tank which will attract a lot of attention.
>>
>>2201448
>monthly runs
lol, I find it hard enough to get my girlfriend to stop going to the supermarket every day, she hates us planning food for a week. couldn't imagine planning a month worth of meals.
>>
File: 4853.jpg (56 KB, 930x558)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>2201517
This small town is called Grizzly Flats, it's a...it WAS a pretty cool place with like 1,000 people or so. Now the entire town is charred. Judging by this pic, how likely is it that a fire could just come again next summer?
>>
File: download.jpg (193 KB, 840x542)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>2201517
>>
>>2201527
reminds me exactly of The Road.
>>
>>2201527
Its mostly ok for next summer in terms of threat, however the one after that + another could be just as bad or worse depending on how much dead timber or ground cover has popped up since
I saw enough burnt out places last fires in Australia to make sure there's a big fire gap between property and trees, even then its a bit touch and go. Unless you're going to invest in something that's comparatively fire proof as a structure, might be better off with an actual caravan so you can just haul it out of the way if necessary.
(sheds aren't fire proof, they melt)
>>
>>2201480
>>2201485
That just means you didn’t build your shit deep enough.
>>
>>2201527
Not at all likely.

What keeps most of these fires roaring and spreading is the undergrowth.

A place like that, if they try to rebuild is a good opportunity to practice some forestry management and maintenance.
>>
>>2201508
>I have a friend who says they can use satellite imagery, but I'm not sure if some podunk town is gonna bother with that.
Lol they aren't going to do that. It will be whether a neighbour draws attention to you or some kind of inspector
afaik the problem with building a shed will be whether it has amenities like plumbing and stuff because the government won't let you live in squalor shitting in a hole or something that will get you sick.
>>
>>2201522
>You can run a 120sqft house on a generator
I don't think it's practical to say "lol just run a generator all the time" especially a cheap one, they're pretty noisy too
Look into solar power/ battery storage, it's a lot cheaper these days and if you're smart with your power usage it's not a problem, especially if you use gas for cooking, then your biggest power drain will probably be washing machine/ dryer (if you absolutely need one) and a water pump
Of course that's dependent on where you want to build the shed, if you don't get plenty of light and you need to use a dryer to dry your clothes then solar is probably off the table. I also know of a lot of solar systems that have a generator kick in when the power is low so maybe a hybrid solution is not bad
>>
>>2201288
>30k budget
do you currently have 30k or do you mean you can accrue 30k relatively soon?
if you have 30k right now, that can be a really nice downpayment on an actual house, with monthy mortgage costs cheaper than renting an apartment

why force yourself to live in a hovel if you don't have to
>>
>>2201444
This thing looks like it would flood with one good rain
>>
>>2201288
just do this!
https://madriverunion.com/cabin-discovered-in-arcata-community-forest/
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/mar/05/invisible-city-how-homeless-man-built-life-underground-bunker-hampstead-heath
>>
>>2202028
not if he lives in new england or california
>>
>>2202028
I have 30k saved right now. I was gonna maybe wait till I have another 10k saved up.

The thing is though, I live in California, and even the shit hole ghetto homes still cost 300k. If I can get a nice piece of property away from the city and away from all this filth, then I'd prefer that to living in a home in the city.
>>
>>2201422
you wouldn't be able to tie your official address to it though then right
>>
>>2201444
I hate that wood "shed" smell.
>>
>>2202109
Yeah, I mean this is possible, and I also kinda admire people who do this, but it's not the way I want to live.
>>
>>2202124
You can buy the land, but if you want water or power, your shed won't be enough to do it, CA passed a lot of law and regulations to shut down the tiny house movement. It varies from county to county too - the more populated ones have outlawed small tiny home sized homes unless it's a second residence on an established residence, and that it's occupied by a caregiver for the resident in the main house.
50K will get you an acre or two in places you don't want to live, out in the central valley or up in the foothills, where you'll be dealing with illegals and farm workers, and you'l have a multiple hour trip just for groceries. Not fun without water or power. Oh, and internet? There might be an old ass cell tower nearby. Maybe. No cable for you. And, you'll have to have a portapotty for sewage, because septic is usually not allowed in rural areas these days, for eco reasons. Well? In rural CA, with droughts? Have fun with that.

Cheap land in CA is cheap for a reason.
>>
>>2201485
To add to the fun, if you're in NorCal, you have illegal pot farms still run by Mexicans out in the boonies. If you buy some acres near one, and they see you move in, the sheriff or a ranger will find your dead body later.
Let's not even get into how a liberal state like CA shit's it's bureaucratic pants if they find some autist shitting and pissing out in the middle of the woods without a sewage line or a portapotty. In some parts of the state, shitting inna woods is literally illegal, hikers have to carry it out with them.
>>
>>2201513
One, you're a retard.
Two, the danger with burned out areas, is mud and hillslides when the rain starts in the winter.
Three, the Sierras are not farming areas. If they were, farmers would have been established there for hundreds of years now.
Four, where are you going to get the water for farming? Have you been jerking off in a closet your whole life, and don't know about the water problems in CA?

I mean, there's retarded, and then there's you.
>>
>>2202138
Yeah you're right, but I was hoping to buy some burnt out land thats going for cheap now. Check online around the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Tons of 10-20k properties with anywhere from 1-10 acres.

But yeah- my problem is going to be building anything. I mean, CA just simply does not allow people to live in sheds, so I may have to find somewhere else.
>>
>>2202143
Looks like someone has a case of the Tuesdays.
>>
>>2202143
1. Cheers
2. You do realize not every location is on or near a hill, right?
3. Subsistence farming. I know, I know, farming in the mountains is not possible according to you, but there are people doing it right now. I'm not trying to live completely off of what I grow.
4. Is irrigation through the use of wells possible? I personally thought all farmers did a rain dance every time they needed water, so I'm with ya on this one, dude.
>>
>>2202109
That guardian article is amazing, can't believe about the weapons charge though that's pretty sad
>>
>>2201288
Cuck Shed? More like Rape Shed. As in anybody who tries to live in one of these unironically will get raped by anybody who can knock down your 3 Little Pigs fantasy shack with a soft cough. I hope you like dicks in your bum.
>>
>>2202026
They make gas dryers you know. A standard backyard grill propane tank of propane (20lbs) used only for a dryer once a week lasts me almost exactly a year. That's $16 a year in energy costs.
>>
>>2202156
Ummmm you do realize a rapist can get in through your window, right?
>>
>>2202157
Thanks I never knew that, they look wickedly expensive though
>>
>>2202174
>they look wickedly expensive though
? Literally no different than any other new dryer in cost. They come plumbed for natural gas, you switch out a fitting for propane. Fitting kit costs $24.
>>
>>2202125
But you can be your own LLC or whatever and use a PO box as your physical address. I do. Very Spec Ops. Much secret.
>>
>>2202175
Here in Aus I can only find them for minimum of $1200 AUD, meanwhile electric ones can be as cheap as $300-400 AUD
https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/filter/washers-and-dryers/dryers/gas/
Maybe it's just too niche here, or it's possible to find them cheap but not online
>>
>>2202020
>the government won't let you live in squalor

lol yeahh... gov would never let that happen!
>>
>>2201508
>I will create my own utilities

a well/septic and solar array with batteries is more than 30k.
>>
>>2202186
A rain bucket/composting toilet/ solar array just for your lights and laptop is a lot less though.
>>
>>2202194
That's a bingo!
>>
>>2202194
>A rain bucket
lmao you're going to need a better system than that for water, even if you live in a high rainfall area
>>
>>2202194
>rain bucket
you are going to die lol.
>>
>>2202200
god. i live in western oregon, it rains. a lot (aside from deep summer). i also have a spring; and it's still not enough to keep water on hand for lawn/garden irrigation.

unless you live in fucking.. assam india, counting on rain water for your needs is retarded. Unless you have a gigantic goddamn cistern -- which if the dude is going for 'cheap'; just isn't going to happen.
>>
>>2202203
Ever heard of a filter?
>>
>>2202204
>unless you live in fucking.. assam india, counting on rain water for your needs is retarded.
You can absolutely depend on rainwater for your needs, but you need a better system than a fucking rain bucket. I live in a house that entirely depends on rainwater collected via roof into tanks that can hold up around 80k litres of water, but even then you need to be cautious about your water usage
>>
>>2202213
Are you suggesting you need to filter rainwater? lmao, you don't. he's referring to the fact that you need more than a bucket's worth to sustain yourself
>>
>>2201288
Are granny flats not a thing in the US? Why not just get someone to build you one?
>>
>>2201513
>I don't know much about fires, but I'd assume once a forest is burnt down, it can't burn again for awhile.
>>
>>2202185
They wont. Government-approved squalor, however, is perfectly fine.
>>
>>2202224
You should be filtering any drinking water, especially if it's been sitting still.
>>
>>2202245
It's actually a reasonable question. Most people don't know that dead timber is easily re-ignited.
>>
>>2202241
They are, but even a small kit home is gonna run you 40k for the materials alone.
>>
Fuck sheds man. If you're gonna build a foundation, just learn how to frame a home. You'll be getting the same thing practically as a shed, except it will be built stronger and won't cost as much.
>>
>>2201288
Pretty based I'd say.

I've been off-grid in a 45ft boat I built myself for 2 years now. Happiest I've ever been.
>>
>>2202416
>You should be filtering any drinking water
Says who? My well water tests clean, there's nothing to filter.
>>
File: 55445.jpg (39 KB, 837x229)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>2202488
Well look man, nobody is gonna force you to filter your rain water, but it's just something you should do if you wanna stay healthy. Well water is at least partially filtered through the Earth, but even then, I'd still probably filter it. Doesn't take much to build a charcoal filter.
>>
>>2202507
>filtering your rain water is just something you should do if you wanna stay healthy
Rainwater is distilled water. Unless you live next to and directly downwind of a coal plant or something belching clouds of smoke into the atmosphere, it's as clean as water can be. Contamination would come from how you collect and store it. Filtration is not always necessary.
>>
>>2202513
Any water which sits for an extended period of time in the open is going to gain bacteria. Depending on a variety of factors, you could be completely fine, or you could get very sick- this is a gamble I'd rather not risk.
>>
>>2202507
You're much more likely to have a problem with well water and pathogens and stuff in it. Yeah I realise there are articles saying that tankwater is often contaminated, usually that's due to birds and other animals shitting on the roof and that stuff running off into the tanks, but that's trace amounts and you should clean your tanks every few years anyway. I've been drinking unfiltered water from my tanks for over a year now and I'm fine, everyone in my area does it too since there's no piped water connection here
>>
>>2201288
That's a swell house.
>>
>>2202513
This post gave me such a weird memory.
Growing up in the 90s, I distinctly remember Acid Rain coming up in school multiple times thinking it was going to be a big problem in future.
Im pretty sure those late 80s textbooks were the last time ive actually heard about acid rain.
>>
>>2202418
Most of these fires don't start from an actual tree igniting. It's most often scrub, long grasses and things like leaves/pine needles.

Once the fuel load is consumed, getting a new fire to take hold even in dead standing wood isn't easy. It won't spread as rapidly either.

If you look at the burn maps you will see that many of the boundaries of this past years fires went along the edges of previous fires. Some going back 10 years or more. It takes a while for all of that fuel to regenerate.

It's a shame really, the fires are a natural process and they could be constrained quite a bit if efforts were taken to thin out and clean up these forests.
>>
>>2202654
>It's a shame really, the fires are a natural process and they could be constrained quite a bit if efforts were taken to thin out and clean up these forests.
People always say this but I think it's a lot harder in practice, every country across the world that experiences bushfires seems to have this issue, and in recent years conditions have been reaching record bads
>>
>>2202652
>I distinctly remember Acid Rain coming up in school multiple times thinking it was going to be a big problem in future.
>Im pretty sure those late 80s textbooks were the last time ive actually heard about acid rain.
NOx and SO2 emissions were regulated in the '90s, and the problem was greatly reduced.
>>
>>2202670
In the West
>>
>>2202658
It takes the will power to do it. Granted, some places are just remote like Siberia and fat chance any serious effort will take place out there.

Canada, somewhat similar in some areas. But ffs, California? They need to stand up and do a better job as corny as that sounds.
>>
>>2202681
>But ffs, California? They need to stand up and do a better job as corny as that sounds.
Thinning is widely practiced, you know-nothing bullshitter.
>>
>>2202690
Very few and very far between. Allowing the fires to rage uncontrollably is a form of thinning I suppose.
>>
>>2202681
>It takes the will power to do it.
I think that's a fully retarded take, it takes money, experience, and I guess one big issue is safety. I remember when the bushfires were really bad in Australia a couple years ago they tried to quickly burn through an area next to a mega fire on the outskirts of Sydney to stop it advancing and ended up burning down some houses in the area.
Governments don't operate on "will" they operate primarily on money and resources. The biggest problem with those recent fires here is they were precipitated by one of the worst droughts for like a hundred years here, caused by a lot of different climate forces that all occurred together, across a massive area as well, places were at risk of bushfire where you previously wouldn't have predicted it. And then ironically I think the same summer where the bushfires were at their worst ended up being the rainiest year in Sydney for 20 years because of a massive amount of rain at the end of the season that caused flooding.
>>2202701
>Allowing the fires to rage uncontrollably is a form of thinning I suppose.
Not really, when fires burn uncontrollably they just burn the shit out of everything in an area and kill everything. The idea of smaller burns is to kill off the undergrowth and have just little flames licking the trees/ germinate seeds/ create ideal soil conditions for some species to grow
>>
>>2202456
>off-grid in a 45ft boat I built myself

Where do you float around in it? I mean are you in the water with it or do you have it plopped on land somewhere
>>
I just want to live in a quaint Victorian cottage.
>>
>>2202183
Do you guys not have in home gas supply down there? That’s like the #2 thing we use gas for after cooking.
>>
>>2202722
That was sarcasm dipshit.

Environmental lobbies are the biggest hurdle to forestry management.

Access to areas, the ability to setup fire breaks and logging help the most.

These sorts of fires cannot be fought head on, they need to be corralled and contained. The momentum these fires carry is truly awe inspiring.

Back to the original question that sparked this derailment. That area should be good for quite a long time, even more so if the new residents take the additional effort to care for the land.
>>
>>2201423

There are different types of women. You chose one with a good family and spoiled, I chose one who lived similar to me, without base essentials, neglected and alone. We see this things on the same level. Fuck society and it's people, get a gun and get some land, a tent is being spoiled.
>>
>>2203025
>he didnt marry up
You are supposed to improve your significant other, not wallow in the dumps with them.
>>
>>2203027

>Reducing rent by $2000/month
>Increasing pay by $2000/month

The reason why these threads keep popping up is because it's the only realistic option for most.
>>
>>2203045
>it's the only realistic option for most.
I get it
I used to be all about solar tiny houses, off the grid shit about a decade ago before it really took off.
I genuinely thought it was my only option.

I own a real home now, it just took some work.
>>
>>2203012
Sir, your request is both humble and reasonable.

That'll be $678,822. Pay in cash, whenever it is most convenient to you.
>>
>>2203056
Work...yeah.

The thing is, you gotta be vaxxed to work, or that's how it's gonna be soon enough at least. I'm just trying to get the fuck outta Rome before this shit starts popping off.
>>
>>2201288
retarded if you are considering buying one
framing a shed is easy and cheap
I don't think there are any ways to evict you from your own shed because muh regulations, you just have to make sure it does not fall under rules for houses
keep it within shed regulations and they can suck your dick
>>
File: 1631044068286.jpg (167 KB, 960x1646)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
Honestly, I think a shed would not only cost more than some other methods out there, mainly slip form stone masonry, but it'd also look worse and not last as long.

If you live near a source of rocks, you can build 4 walls. With minimal lumber, you can build rafters for a roof. With some sheet metal, you can build a roof. The only thing stopping most people from doing this is confidence. I understand why someone wouldn't want to risk spending more money if they messed up, but building a simple shed or tiny home isn't really that hard, and the time required to make it isn't anything crazy. The only problem is permit costs and all those other fees, but like someone else here mentioned, you can build a shed in California without a permit.

But ya know, a shed to home conversion has it's benefits as well. I would just be very cautious of living in any structure which isn't designated as a permanent dwelling, cause sooner or later, the inspectors will find out. Regardless of what people have said in here, those inspectors (some of them) take their job super seriously. And I'm not bullshitting you here, I've even heard of them staking out illegally dwellings so they can catch you living in it. This is why you can't have neighbors close by if you're gonna do this. Need to find a place secluded, and get to work on building a wall around your property.

Can't prove I live in a shed if you can't even see this shed!
>>
File: 1335777076329.gif (2.62 MB, 360x176)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB GIF
>>2203166
>letting a vaccine control your every thought and action
>>
>>2203056
Mortgage is technically not owning. The bank owns your house until you pay it off in 10-30 years. That means anything you do in life you must pay your mortgage. Hope you don't get seriously ill, injured, the industry you work in doesn't collapse, the housing market doesn't collapse, you kill yourself from the stress the servitude of your bank etc...
>>
>>2202124
Just look for real estate far away in rural california. It is dirt cheap if you look for it and understand what you are buying. Most of it is old but still functional housing.
>>
>>2203400
>if you take out a loan, you are obligated to pay it back
>if you lose your job and decide not to get another, itll be hard paying your bills

Whoah anon, what great revelations!
Just wait until you find out that when you work a real job, getting injured or ill you take long term medical leave and can still pay your bills.
Or that if you dont marry a fucking lazy bum of a woman, when you lose your job she will still have one and you can still make things work short term with your emergency savings while you look for a new job!

If worst comes to worst and you foreclose on the house, its not the end of the world, you can file bankruptcy to clear your debts and in 4 years youll be eligible to get another mortgage.
You can rent (or live in a cuckshed) for a few years, get a new career and be back on track.

99% of people have to work to survive.
10-20-30 years will come and go. You will be working one way or the other.
The choice is up to you whether after those years will you own a home, or will you live in squalor in a cuckshed.

You arent going to kill yourself because of "servitude to your bank"
You are going to kill yourself because you actually thought living like a homeless man for the rest of your life seemed like a good idea after a meth binge, and you wasted your prime years in a ramshackle
>>
>>2203392
>Kertowing to the requirements of the State over your personal beliefs, ever

Its okay anon, we know you're not a real person anymore. You gave up your soul long, long ago.
>>
>>2203415
>I live in a first world country where you don't get fired when you try to take medical leave!
>I live in a first world country where your wife doesn't leave you when you get injured!
>I live in a first world country where people can still afford a house!
>I live in a first world country where filing bankruptcy doesn't permanently ruin my credit!

All of this was 50 years ago in America, anon. It doesn't work that way anymore.
>>
>>2203420
You have very very little life experience and it shows anon.
>>
File: 1358379886218.jpg (10 KB, 171x176)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>2203419
>requirements of the State
>>
>>2202658
CA will burn, regardless. It's always burned, it's the climate. BUT, in the past, clearing brush, making fire breaks, and doing controlled burns with a lot of land management helped contain it, to a degree.
Now, you get these massive fires because the eco-nuts have stopped most of that, and you have PG&E refusing to cut scrub and weeds and do any fire abatement, because they're continuously on the verge of bankruptcy, because of corruption and institutional bloat (more money is spent on pensions and other obligations than the land they have leases on).
You'll never "fix" the west coast for fires. They're going to happen - but we can do a lot more to mitigate them and do things like not building mcmansions in areas that are more susceptible for fires, and allowing the state to manage the land effectively.
And, ban eucalyptus trees. They're not native, they're trash trees that shed limbs and leaves constantly, and are literal oil based bombs in forest fires. A lot of the Berkeley fire back in the day was driven by them going up in an instant from sparks. The fires in the northern part of the state is another issue completely, but in built up, suburban areas, they need to get rid of them.
Also, don't discount how many fires have been set on purpose. Some are caused naturally, others...not so much.
>>
>>2203424
>but we can do a lot more to mitigate them and do things like not building mcmansions in areas that are more susceptible for fires, and allowing the state to manage the land effectively.

that is quite literally how they are going to approach forest fire mitigation in the future. Build more mcmansions and concrete then hope it does not burn.
>>
>>2203413
Dirt cheap land in CA is dirt cheap for a reason - it's usually uninhabitable.
>>
>>2203415
Dude, stop being this invested in being this outraged at the autism Jeremiah Johnson wet dreams from the NEETs and schitzos here. None of them could build a proper wall or roof of a shack if their life depended on it, but they think they can go build a shack in the middle of nowhere and survive with no job, no skills, and no mommy to buy and cook tendies for them.
Getting a job/income and paying for a roof over your head is a minimum baseline for adulting. I remember being in high school and wondering "How do you do it, every month?" and then you get a full time job with full time pay and you go "Oh."
Throw in the "thu jooz" mentality from /pol, and you get these threads.
What we don't get is news reports of large numbers of fat, unhealthy NEETs and incels being found dead in fap shacks in the wilderness, because these threads are all talk. Nobody is actually doing it, lol.
>>
>>2203428
>adulting

Quit reading after that. Fuck off.
>>
>>2203428
>living rural is so difficult
>adulting
>the jooz

You may very well be an NPC
>>
>>2203427

This, yea you can buy land in the desert for next to nothing but you're going to pay x10 as much easily on just making it livable.

Plus out in the desert you have zero privacy since you can see for miles of it just being rocks and dirt. Also, most of your neighbors wil be meth heads who strip your property of scrap metal the moment your gone.

Fuck the desert of CA, what a shit hole.
>>
>>2203532
In OPs case, he was looking at cheap property in the Sierra Nevada mountains. The rivers are still flowing up there, it has resources and the communities have utilities, so it wouldn't be such a bad deal.
>>
>>2203428
Imagine gatekeeping a man's dream lmao you're a city dwelling cuck who hates his life. Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>2203553
Sounds like a cool place, I have nothing to contribute other than good luck and suggest you watch out for the rattlesnakes and the scorpions .
>>
>>2202513
it comes off a roof covered in bird and animal shit, anon.
>>
>>2202175
In the US, expect to pay maybe $200 more. You can always look for a used one cheap. The regulator for NG is 6" water column, and 11"" for Propane. Switch it out and you're good.
>>
>>2203428
>adulting
You're a fucking faggot. I got my acreage, you suck dicks.
>>
>>2201410
Unless you have really nosy neighbors
>>
Love in the country in the woods. Install a wood stove for heat, for light use oil lamps, and build an outhouse to shit in. Fuck building codes, if they give you shit tell them your Amish or something in the lines of that
>>
File: albert dryden.jpg (61 KB, 650x436)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>2201288
all you need is a revolver and a few bricks.
>>
>>2203428
>>2203493
>>2204300
Its LARPdulting, you niggers.
>>
I live in a lofted Graceland shed. The trick is to just do whatever you want and don't ask permission. If you live somewhere that wont work, then where you live sucks. Sorry.

I assume code enforcement around here is too afraid of being retaliated against to mess with any of the multitude of people living full-time in campers, rvs, sheds, shipping containers that are all hooked to power and sewage/water.

Most energy companies around here have options for temporary power poles, and they tend to never ask how long temporary is or what you're tying it to...
>>
File: domechads.jpg (18 KB, 277x182)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
Thoughts on geodesic domes? For me, it's either this or A-frames. I would build them much larger than cuckshed sizes and they are much more economical than comparable (gay/retarded) structures.
>>
>>2201423
>Get a mobile home
this, get a broken down unlivable mobile home for 1000$, build your shed behind it. give it a really big basement with really well reinforced concrete walls.
once the construction is complete you can scrap the mobile home and anyone who sees the shed will assume its for storing shit. as for the toilet/shower idk. i hope you live near a gas station.
rain water is ok for toilet water, youre going to need something better for your showers.
>>
>>2201448
>monthly groceries
I'm guessing you rarely eat vegetables/fresh food
>>
>>2201448
>where the owner buys at retail then marks it up
So what dollar store does...
>>
>>2201510
kek
>>
>>2201288
outside city limits in most states if you can buy a parcel of land you can live off the grid like that legally
>>
>>2203400
You're a total retard. You can always just sell your house.
>>
>>2202124
>The thing is though, I live in California
That's the real problem. Move somewhere else. And I don't want to hear any of the 'but there's no jobs' bullshit. The median household income in California is only 50% higher than in middle America, while housing prices are 5-10x higher. You can get a house where I live for $80k, and even burger king pays $12/hr here. There's plenty of real jobs here too, making $40k, $50k, $60k with a white collar job is pretty normal. You can make 6 figures here working on technology. I don't know what you do for a living, but if all you can afford is a literal cuck shed you should probably move somewhere else even if it means taking a 'pay cut'.
>>
>>2202153
Based Van Allen escape from Prison last year

https://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/crime/dominic-van-allen-prison-escape-hampstead-heath-camp-6530064

No idea if they caught him again yet though. Can't keep a free man caged.
>>
Give me freedom (NEETdom), or give death.
>>
A few months ago an Anon posted about his new life.
He left a Northern East Coast city and went somewhere South 20 miles outside of a small town. he bought a modest piece of wooded land 1-3 acres and paid for a company to install a metal shed 14'x 40' (iirc). It had several windows and a real door or two. It cost 8K installed. He moved in right away and started insulating and finishing the interior, They were 5 minutes from local houses in the woods and toted water in jugs from their spigot for a while until he built a rainwater system. He was on a major budget and worked a low end job in town to buy building materials. By winter it had wood heat, interior walls, a kitchen with a french drain, and etc. he said his expenses were so low the job was adequate to cover all of it and he had a wife and kid.

He was very glad to have left the urban world. It helps to already be married
>>
>>2201410
Thats a fucking great idea
>>
>>2207507
Na man, he's got what really matters- a large number in his bank account. Who needs to actually have a bigger house on acres of land and a little extra freedom anyway? You can rent all that on that vacation.
>>
>>2202194
Get a 500 gallon water tank for a couple hundred bucks and get water delivered. Obviously not feasible in the absolute middle of nowhere but many rural communities have this service
>>
>>2201527
>>2201529
forester here
the brush will go nuts in areas like this, so I hope you enjoy tanoak and manzanita
second, the trees are going to all fall over during the rain/wind, destroying your cuckshed unless you clear 150ft in all directions, which I assume you don't know how to fall timber seeing as you don't understand how fires work
good luck
>>
>>2211330
Yeah, I guess cutting down trees is strictly for geniuses like you. You can keep that accomplishment.
>>
>>2211403
>death toll from idiots getting barberchaired on a small pine tree increases
>>
>>2207123
My county only has 1200 people and it's the size of Connecticut. They don't even have a code enforcement department. There's a code and you are supposed to adhere to it but there's no one to check. Fuck them, it blows my mind that my quality framed building finished to perfection is an illegal hazardous dwelling but crackstack Section Ape housing with roaches and asbestos and mold and no working heat is fucking owned and sold to welfare leaches BY THE GOVERNMENT. And that's all cool.
>>
File: assets.jpg (115 KB, 960x650)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>2201288
I'd prefer to live in a camper van if I were to live in something so small. Otherwise, I'd go with a round stone house or an earth and stone dwelling.
>>
>>2201423
Beat your wife and she will
>>
>>2210307
Its a terrible idea. At this point you may as well rent a room, considering you have no recourse if the land owner decides to tell you to fuck off
>>
>>2203428
Fucking hell you're insufferable.
>>
>>2211884
I prefer the buying property with a barn and moving an RV in idea.
>>
>>2203420
are u retarded anon? go outside sometimes
>>
File: Staircase.jpg (94 KB, 1062x1600)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>2201522
I get the whole loft idea with a tiny home, but for fuck sake put in stairs. If planned correctly you use under the stairs as cabinets/drawers/bookshelves. It may take a little more space and different layout planning but will make the experience 10x better.
>>
Just far better way to go about it.
>>
>>2202175
Can't you just hang those clothes/laundries outside and air/sun dry them?
>>
>>2207054
They don't allow you to defend yourself. They put him in prison for the rest of his life for it.
>>
>>2212827
>Can't you just hang those clothes/laundries outside and air/sun dry them?
You're trying to use logic with insane larpers. Anyone who wants to live in a shed or a tiny home and also wants unnecessary crap like a clothes dryer is a nut.
>>
>>2213580
I don't aim to starve before I shoot the man who's starving me. 'Least that's what Pa Joad says.
>>2207054
I'd never heard of any of this but you should listen to Muswell Hillbillies by the Kinks, in particular Here Come The People In Gray.
>>
>>2211909
sort of this. from what I'm told the real key is to have temporary living (such as your RV) and first thing you do is build the workshop, then with the workshop and shelter you can do anything.

me myself though I can't do anything.
>>
>>2211653
Based.
>>
>>2213658
the trick is, they're feeding you, but they have seized your right to feed yourself. you get what's left over when they've taken what they need and made sure you have no way to escape.
>>
>>2211449
>where's your tree-felling loicense m8
>>
>>2213768
hope you have insurance
>>
File: file.png (36 KB, 683x824)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
Can I hijack this thread for a second?

Can someone tell me if this roof design seems feasible? Im new to construction and trying to plan a cathedral-esque roof for a small house. The roof needs to handle a heavy snow load and the flat portion of the roof needs to hold a 250lb person.

Does the 28ft ridge beam need the blue support beams? And would spacing them every 7' eliminate any worry of collapse? Thanks!
>>
File: 1572472216336s.jpg (2 KB, 125x94)
2 KB
2 KB JPG
>>2215633
>>
>>2215637
lmao, whats wrong with it?
>>
>>2205048
seriously fuck these snitching commies
>>
>>2211517
>want to make some shitty stone buildings etc
>my property is just pure fucking clay
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>>
File: file.png (39 KB, 680x858)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
>>2215633
>>2215637
Ok. I realized some of the flaws of my ways. This would be practical, right?
>>
>>2215670
yep I did all the calculations and you are go to go! It actually appears you slightly over built it and it would withstand a 300lb person,

I am referring to the second picture, your first one wouldn't withstand the snow load! let us know how this works out for you!
>>
>>2215672
Oh god am I going to die? This post is way too enthusiastic.

Well Imma go buy the lumber tomorrow before it goes up again. I hope for my sake you're not being sarcastic lol

Thanks!
>>
>>2215673
what are you building anyways? why does your roof need to support a person and snow? Is somebody gonna be up there sleeping in the snow?
>>
>>2215677
Its a tiny house on top of a trailer. It's intended to be 4 seasons and be covered in solar panels edge-to-edge. The panels need to cover a full RoM from 15 degrees to 55 degrees without trapping too much snow behind them and "stow" within the 13.5' maximum trailer height limit.

The flat space on the top (may give it a 3/12 slope idk yet) is intended to let me safely adjust the top edge height of the panels and perform routine maintenance with only a built-in ladder as equipment. The 250lb weight limit was kinda overkill, but i wanted to make sure it could support me @200lbs and the weight of a heavy toolbag or equipment along with maybe a thin layer of wet snow. Sort of a worst-case scenario lol.
>>
File: file.png (40 KB, 637x738)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>>2215684
Oh yeah and here's an example of the panels with their respective max tilts on their mounting points for the summer/winter solstices depending on latitude.
>>
i mean it seems like it will work ok to me. Just remember if you build it and its too flimsy you can just keep adding wood to it until your happy, its not like you have to get it perfectly designed in a drawing.
>>
>>2215689
Yeah that's basically the plan right now lol, I'm just trying to keep cost and weight down.
>>
>>2215693
well if you are concerned with weight you should probably be using 2X3 or maybe even 2X2 for the vertical, al they will see is a compressive load and that's nothing for wood

Not trying to Japanese wood joinery meme you here, but if you do use some old school joining techniques it will help with rigidity vs nails/screwed connections. It will also let you use lighter lumber as you dont need as much space for driving fasteners. They can be simple half laps, and you can do a pretty shitty job at it even, just fill the gaps with an appropriate construction adhesive.
>>
>>2215699
I like the idea of using 2x2s and using some joining techniques. Honestly I'm really rushing this whole step right now to make sure I can buy lumber before it starts climbing again. I'm hoping to finish this build by January and I cant afford to wait 6 months for lumber to come down again (if ever).

For now I think ill just lengthen the lumber slightly to account for overlaps for joining, and figure out the weight/load bearing stuff later. Worst case scenario i can just cut down a 2x4 into a 2x3. Ill still be saving more money doing that than buying 2x3s in a month time I think.
>>
>>2215707
get a 2x6 and make 2 2X3 per cut, you know check prices and shit first, hell maybe even a 2x12 you'll get 4 2x3 from that. (i know dimensional numbers aren't real and you wont get exactly 2x3 from it but whatevs) also wider boards come from better trees, so a 2x12 turned into 2x3 is going to be higher quality than a a 2x3, how much better I dunno. just shit to consider.

loctite PL3X is gonna be your best friend.
>>
>>2215711
Thanks for all the advice! Its very helpful
>>
>>2201288
Depending on where you live you might be able to get a decent RV trailer or even a trailer home for that kind of money. An RV trailer you might be able to park it in any driveway while tiny homes and trailer homes would have zoning issues.
>>
>>2211471
You don't have to say the county but at least tell us what state?
>>
>>2207054
Albert Dryden is literally my hero for life.
>Famous last words
>”Can you get a shot of that gun there?”
>>
>>2207144
if you're in high-snow areas, then A-frames are basically impossible to beat in terms of snow load. The domes are good for tornado areas however.
>>
File: IMG_0762[1].jpg (2.23 MB, 4608x3456)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB JPG
>>2215711
>i know dimensional numbers aren't real
If you go to the grocery store and buy a half pound of raw hamburger, you get a half pound of hamburger. If you go to a burger joint and get a burger made with half a pound of hamburger it won't be an actual half pound once you get it. It was when they started but, once they cooked it, it lost weight.

Same thing with boards. if you buy a 2x6 it will be 2x6. Thing is, you are buying 2x6 SFS. SFS means 'surfaced for sides'. They plane it down 1/4th an inch per side so it is no longer rough cut. That is the only shit they sell at big box stores and shitty lumber yards so everyone just assumes that lumber dimensions are stupid or something. This is also why old table saws often came with a planer built off the same motor. You had to surface your own shit.

So why don't they just call it what it is? Same reason they don't they don't sell you a burger based on its cooked size; it is next to impossible to tell what the final dimensions of a piece of wood will be after going through the planer and kiln.

Picture related, rough cut timber. Nice high res image. Shit sucks to work with.
>>
>>2215857
s4s is a phrase that refers to hardwood lumber. You can also purchase s2s. Its not used on dimensional lumber.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.