[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 22 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Are industrial tote boxes any good for home organizing and storage? I need to help my mother organize her hoarded items, which fill the entire house. They are currently spread all over the floor so I'm thinking if I put them into tote boxes and then stack them vertically, I might be able to get it all into just one room and free up the rest of the house for living space
>>
>>2167215
Just means the space will be filled again.
Need to fix the desire to be surrounded by stuff.
>>
I'm just going to post my question here:
Any recommendations on boxes that can be used for storing shit in an attic? It's insulated but the temperature and moisture % still swing enough that cardboard boxes is a no-go.
>>
why not just get rid of the junk?
>>
>>2167222
the moisture will kill the junk no matter what box you use. Better use big plastic bags and close them. Also get some junk in the trash. You can easily sort in bags and bring it away later.
>>
>>2167245
>2167245
Yeah forgot to mention that I'd pack in bags, and put them in the boxes for stackability. I've already cleared out my junk, but this is stuff I'm not going to need on even a yearly basis, but wouldn't mind saving.
>>
File: clear tub.jpg (78 KB, 1200x1200)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>2167215
The containers in the OP suck because the lids get in the way. I will never buy another container unless it is clear for easy inspection.
>>
The totes in OP are actually pretty good. Either those or some of those heavy duty storage totes with the black bin and the yellow lid that Home Depot, Lowes, and Costco sell. They are all slightly different from each other so you'd be best to buy them all at the same place.

I don't care for the clear ones because they are more brittle and susceptible to cracking.
>>
>>2167222
Everything has a pro and can.
- Cardboard will dry out, and eventually collapse, but cheap - but mouse magnets.

-Plastic will melt/deform/get brittle, but will stay waterproof.

I think the key is organizing. Shelves, vs stacking on the floor. Let air circulate, and look at vents for the attic. We stored tons of stuff in our attic and garage loft for decades in the house I grew up in, and most damage was from mice/boxes collapsing. When I got a hair up my butt having to drag and haul boxes around when my parents wanted something, I put shelves up, and labeled everything, in new boxes. Plastic bins for xmas shit, moving boxes for books, same for clothes but wrapped in garbage bags with mothballs, etc. I didn't care about the books, don't know why they hoarded paperbacks they'd never read again, but by that time I'd moved out so whatever. I stuck them in boxes and let the mice have them. They threw them out when they moved, anyway.

What i found with the kind of boxes like this is, the lids failed over time, if you stack them too high - shelves would help. They're not good for paper in places with wide swings of humidity and heat, either, as they trap moisture. But for christmas shit and your old toys your parents are hoarding and all that, they're fine. Some simple wooden racks or IKEA shelves to organize them, and so you can quickly yank one when you need the stuff in it worked really well for me.

LABEL EVERYTHING. And, think about access - I put xmas stuff in the easiest spot, so mom could get it easily, the long term stuff they never touched went the furthest in.

Depends on your budget, too. I grabbed stacks of empty paper boxes from the IT guys at work, which saved some money.

The most useless form of mass storage is milk crates - too heavy.
>>
>>2167424
There are decent quality clear ones available. And yes, they cost more than the opaque stuff. But it sure saves time and effort when looking for stuff.
>>
>>2167436
>put on shelves
Agreed, but the bins in the OP are shitty for this because you can't remove the lid without taking the bin off of the shelf.
>>
>>2167463
Just sort and label well and you shouldn't have to go looking for anything as you will know where everything should be.
>>
>>2167436
>>2167466
This is for a hoarder, this is not to actually organize anything. The shit going into that totes will never be gone through, or used for anything. What OP is really doing is making it easy for when his mother goes into a nursing home, or dies. At that point he can just load the totes onto a truck and take them to the dump as easy as possible.

Tl;dr Those totes are perfect for OP's true purpose.
>>
>>2167483
>Buy 100 totes
>Fill them with the hoarded items
>Over time empty the totes but leave them stacked so mommy doesn't realize they are empty
>Once she pops, you've got 100 empty totes to do with as you please
>>
If you organize all the shit into one room she's going to fill up the newly cleared space with more trash. This is the way of the hoarder.
>>
Get the 'Greenmade' brand totes, they are very good. Costco sells the big ones and Tractor Supply sells the smaller ones. Great price, really tough, and the big and small ones are totally compatible for stacking.

also

The advice about purging is correct. Do both.
>>
>>2167215
>I'm thinking if I put them into tote boxes and then stack them vertically, I might be able to get it all into just one room and free up the rest of the house for living space
No, you will free up the rest of the house for more junk. Never organize a parent’s hoard, it just means you’ll need more dumpsters when they die.
>>
>>2167489
That won’t work. Hoarders will occasionally feel the need to rummage through their junk. While you can selectively toss some of the worst garbage without them noticing, if you get rid of too much they will notice.
>>
File: hdx_box.jpg (43 KB, 1000x750)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>2167215
>>2167222
Yes and I recommend it greatly. A while back I bought maybe 10 of pic related and put all of my stuff in them. The main benefit was so that even if my stuff wasn't organized, at least it would be 'put away' and safe for mobility and storage. Like you said cardboard falls apart, it doesn't stand up to moisture, and small objects can theoretically slip through cracks and holes in cardboard, the seams might not be taped perfectly or the tape can fail and leave holes. With these I can comfortably toss them into a garage or a shed with no concern for the size of what's inside them, all of the boxes are the same size and they stack. There is no concern for air quality or temperature, and bugs aren't getting into them. They are plastic and everything inside them is safe.

The side benefit has been that they also did help me get more organized. I have two of them right now full of clothes that I will donate or give away or throw out. That will mean two empty boxes. I try to keep empty ones empty too, and since they stack inside each other I just have some empty ones. You can have some for clothes, some for electronics, you can easily categorize them, and then have miscellaneous boxes for things that don't fit with the rest. Then they're easy to work with because the size is defined and they are mobile. They're not like drawers and cabinets and closets where you decide where things go depending on their size or shape, or where things can slip through cracks, or you forget stuff. If you want to expand or retract it's easy to move them.

The downside from an outsider perspective is probably the aesthetics of it, other people probably think they look ugly, I don't know, that kind of stuff doesn't bother me. Also for your use case that's not an issue.
>>
>>2167436
I disagree, the only downsides of the plastic ones here are environmental concerns, but here they serve such a utility that it's worth it compared to all of the other waste we create. If you have these things for however many years or decades it takes for the plastic to fall apart then you can rebuy the same size boxes and it is very easy to just move things over into the new set.
>>
>>2167436
I took pictures of my boxes and printed them and put them on the fromt
>>
File: box.jpg (74 KB, 1200x500)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>2167483
>This is for a hoarder,
Your mother is sick, OP. She's ill, and she's not going to get better. Just do her a favor and put her out of her misery, and pic related is the only box that you'll need
>>
File: 71fxsM4E4dL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (98 KB, 1500x1264)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>2167436
These roughneck tubs by rubbermaid are some of the best ones you can get. I've had a bunch for 15 years in the attic of my shed that hits 120 degrees in the summer and -60 in the winter, and they've held up fine. They're made of a more pliable plastic than cheaper tubs and they don't get brittle with age or temperature. I know people who use them to haul firewood and they can take a lot of abuse. They will last forever in a hoarder's house.
>>
>>2167339
Clear plastics are less sturdy, though in current year I’m guessing all plastic goods are shittier than the clear bins I remember.
>>
>>2167726
The plastic those are made of starts splitting at about twenty years, anon. They just fall apart sitting on a shelf.
>>
>>2167215
>Are industrial tote boxes any good for home organizing and storage?
why would they not be? why would someone makes something specifically designed to store and organize stuff NOT be good for that purpose? show your work.
>>
>>2167436
My attic needs a makeover at some point in the future where I want to add a proper floor, shelves, a ventilation system not just for the attic but entire house. So for me I need something that can be stacked on shelves later, but also just thrown on the attic in the beginning.

>>2167602
>>2167726
I'll look into these. Thanks.
>>
File: PXL_20210722_050550841.jpg (3.18 MB, 4032x3024)
3.18 MB
3.18 MB JPG
>>2167757
Wrong. I just found the oldest one I have. This thing is 31 years old and it's in as good shape as the day it was bought. (It was called Rough Tote then but it's the same product)
>>
>>2167893
The copyright was registered in 1990. I see nothing that says that this box was made in 1990.
>>
File: PXL_20210722_090517853.jpg (2.38 MB, 4032x3024)
2.38 MB
2.38 MB JPG
>>2167971
Stop being autistic. Here's a another one I have with an updated 1995 copyright and label, indicating that the first one is no less than 26 years old.
>>
File: ikea.jpg (658 KB, 2048x1536)
658 KB
658 KB JPG
>>2167893
>>2167979
You absolute lying toad! The other anon is correct, the copyright date is just when the product design was created, not when that specific item was manufactured. See picture; the label on my Ikea bed bought 3 years ago. It says copyright 1999. Does not mean it was made in 1999
>>
>>2167971
Does the color of the box and label stylization not scream 90s to you?
>>
they are pretty heavy empty anyways, so she will never move them again and probably cry at not being able to access her thingys
>>
File: 20191228_134354.jpg (3.11 MB, 4032x3024)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB JPG
>>2167215
I saw these organizers at a thrift store. Seems pretty based.
>>
>>2167215
Organising is never te answer for hoarding, it just means more space to hoard
>>
>>2167726
I used to use Roughnecks, they don't stack well if heavy. They collapse slowly. Some of mine disintegrated and split after ~10 years, mostly the lids. I switched to >>2167575.
>>
>>2168075

I stack 5 on a HF dolly like in OP's pic and roll them aside when I need to access things. I have about 25. They also work great on a trailer, you just ziptie the lids.
>>
I am surprised no one mentioned DIY's go-to storage solution.
>>
>>2167222
Buy totes with a smooth seal, continuous lid-to-container seal, duct tape over the gap so it's more or less airtight
>>
>>2167215
Fill the garage with cabinets, put the stuff she actually uses nearest to the house, throw everything else (except actual keepsakes) away without her knowing and tell her it's in the cabinets furthest from the door to the garage

Double win

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.