[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 24 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Are these cheaper dremels worth a fuck? I need one but won't be using it more than once every few weeks at most.

How much is reasonable to spend on a first dremel?
>>
>>2166905
Just don’t get a cheap cordless one
>>
>>2166905
They are good for soft stuff like drywall and clay.
>>
Yes but mostly for jobs that doesn't require a more powerful rotary tool.
I don't even have a brand one but a cheaper chink one and is useful for virtually any job. Even if its not powerful enough it will just require some patience but it still performs the job after working for a longer time.
>>
>>2166905
I have that exact doggie dremel, lol. It's handy as fuck for hobby/model work due to the low speed.
>equip with an already-worn out fine-grit sanding drum for taking large amounts of plastic off
>equip with polishing wheel for quick surface finishing
>just slow enough to not completely rip through plastic unless you're a tard

Wouldn't think it'd be much use for most /diy/ stuff, but it has it's uses.
>>
>>2166905
>Are these cheaper dremels worth a fuck?
Not at all. I have that exact one and not only did it scare my dogs, the battery failed after maybe a year of very little use.

>How much is reasonable to spend on a first dremel?
$50
Buy a Dremel 200 and be done with it
>>
>>2166918
>battery failed after a year
people should need a license prior to buy battery powered devices without proper battery maintenance knowledge
>>
I know you're only going to use it once every few weeks would really help if you said what you were trying to accomplish with it.

In your picture you have a very weak cordless and I would recommend staying away from it.

By corded if possible, check out yard sales i always find them there.

I only use them around I Workshop once a month or so but I have a few different sizes including an air powered.

If you live in Northern California I would be happy to give you used one I have about 10 of them from my old DIY and projects.
>>
>>2166905
I got a wired "multifunctional rotary tool" (i.e. a offbrand Dremel) off amazon for like 20~30€. It came in a sturdy plastic carrying case with all the accessories (flexible extension axle, pistol grip, router like support, and shield) and bits and discs. The cutting discs and sandpaper drums do a well enough job, while the rest can't cut shit; the accessories are very handy to have; the digital speed control is just a glorified potentiometer. All in all it does the job and has yet to explode in my face. For an occasional use you get a lot for very little. Again, for home use I don't see how the cost of an actual Dremel can be justified.

tl;dr batteries are a meme, Dremel™®© stuff is overpriced to hell and back, get the cheapest wired one with accessories.
>>
>>2166944
>(you)
>>
>>2166944
We use lithium ion batteries these days grandpa. You know all that shit about how you can't let it sit on a full battery too long, and you can't let it fully discharge, and you have to periodically drain the battery, and all the other bullshit upkeep? None of that matters with Li ion, they're idiot proof.
>>
>>2166905
Are these NiCd batteries? The father in law has one like this, and I’m normally a shill for the new brushless cordless tools, but that cheap Dremel fucking sucked. It was going so slow, I pulled out my 30 year old Craftsman corded one and we ran through the project 5x faster.

If you go cordless, get a better one. Otherwise go with one of the corded ones, I know the Wen version gets good reviews around here for the price.
>>
>>2166905
pay for a real corded dremel-branded one. anything else is money thrown away until you give in, so pay once and cry once. I have a corded HF cheapo. It has issues getting up to speed, I think the housing is misalighned. It is also not balanced well and vibrates fairly bad. Meanwhile the old beat up, well used dremel at my old work was always smooth and strong, never let me down. also, those AA battery powered things have to be a pile of shit.
>>
>>2166907
How about the cordless 8220
>>
"There us nothing so badly fucked up that it can not be fucked up more with a dremel tool"

Not mine but internet shitposting. True though. Just go slow. Light cheap tools for light projects. Heavy tools for heavy projects. Heavy cordless models also benefit from a flex-shaft as do corded models. Buy dremel original three tooth chuck. Also I have always found original accessories far better than after market. Seems cutting disks burn out more dremel tools than any other.

I used to use a dremel for hours daily for several years. Would always burn out a couple a year. Second most useful power tool to be owned. First being a cordless drill. Third a bench grinder. Forth a bench sander. Don't buy a used one. Corded is best but for light work cordless are good too. Original dremel made tools are prime as they have less run out on the chuck. And it really does make a difference in precision use.

Need more power.... buy a die grinder!!! Dont push your tiol too much and it should last quite a while.
>>
I wouldn't get one without a wire.

I use mine 90% of the time for cutting through bolts, they're pretty useful.
>>
>>2166905
I'm gonna do you a massive favour; get a Proxxon
>>
What are good cutting wheels for them? The ones I buy seem to eat themselves away in seconds. The higher priced ones still eat themselves but a maybe at 1/3 the rate.
>>
>>2170440
Oh I should add for aluminum mainly.
>>
File: pendent.jpg (76 KB, 1280x960)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>2166905
dont buy dremel they are trash
just get a real flexshaft tool
>>
>>2170450
This man rotary tools
>>
>>2166991
You shouldn't store most lithium batteries at full for a long time. They degrade a lot faster at 100% than 70% or so. It's an even worse idea to store them drained completely. The battery controller won't let you bring the cell all the way to it's true zero, where damage will quickly occur, but over the course of a few months the buffer it leaves will succumb to internal discharge.
But yes, for the most part lithium is idiot proof, especially compared to ni-cad or lead acid.
>>
>>2166905
Main problem with the cheapest cordless ones is that they slow down significantly when loaded. It is actually useful for some things like pet nails and plastics, but useless for anything harder.
>>
>>2170508
Went to a foot care clinic and the bitch ground my calluses off with the same model shown by the OP.
>>
>>2170511
What grit did they use?
>>
File: SpinnyBurrBurr.jpg (178 KB, 1020x708)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>2166905
Just get one of these for $22. WEN is a good brand, and if you're only gonna use it so often then you'll only be out $22. I'd spring for actual Dremel bits though because they are way better quality. Especially the quick lock cutoff wheel

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-2305-Rotary-Tool-Shaft/dp/B003BYRFH8/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=wen+dremel&qid=1627312364&sr=8-2
>>
>>2170550
1/2 inch sanding drum. Might of been 60 grit as it looked coarse. After she removed the paper from the drum and threw it in the trash and put the mandrel in a bottle if alcohol.

I never would of imagined. Felt like a kot licking my toe.
>>
>>2166905
Get a proper die grinder and not some piece of shit used by hobbyists to trim their dog's tonails.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.