[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 35 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is it possible to build a code compliant house using mainly stone these days? No crap like cheap wood or vinyl.
>>
I want to do this when I make it. There's nothing stopping you from doing it. You just need to follow the code and other gay buerocratic bullshit your local government probably has in place.
>>
>>2165652
>Is it possible to build a code compliant house
no. it's actually not possible to build a fully code compliant house out of anything. 8
>>
File: 1626667326985.jpg (26 KB, 415x607)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>2165652
The code is intentionally written so it's impossible to pass if the inspectors want to fail you. They have so much leeway in how anal they want to be and you have no choice but to bend over and take it up the ass.

Pic not related, a sky full of testicles.
>>
>>2165652
It depends WHERE you are. Different municipalities have different building codes. Can't believe no one else knows this...
>>
>>2165670
Exactly. You can get away with a lot of shit if you build in Botswana.
>>
>>2165670
>It depends WHERE you are.
No it doesn't. The International Residential Code allows stone masonry in Chapter 6 and there isn't a more restrictive code.
>>
>>2165934
>there isn't a more restrictive code.
The state of California bans all unreenforced masonry construction.
>>
>>2165948
Who said unreinforced?
>>
>>2165934
>he doesn't know about the AHJ
Whew lad. The IRC is a minimum.
>>
>>2165949
I did, when talking about a jurisdiction with code that is more restrictive than the IRC.
>>
>>2165961
>I did
okay and its completely beside the point faggot
>>
>>2165962
You’re one dumb nigger.
>>
>>2165964
no you are, nobody legitimate has built unreinforced masonry for hundreds of years. it just doesnt hold up and this has been known since the fucking dark ages
>>
>>2165976
>nobody legitimate has built unreinforced masonry for hundreds of years.
>>
>>2165976
>>2165981
>>
>>2165976
>>2165981
>>2165984
>>
>>2165981
>>2165984
>>2165986
Interest photos but pushing unreinforced masonry is dangerous and stupid.
>>
>>2165987
I’m not “pushing unreinforced masonry,” I’m describing the world as it is in response to you repeatedly making grandiose false statements. Shut up, you dumb nigger. Not only do you have nothing of value to say, you worsen discourse with your outright fabrications.
>>
>>2165984
this is eastern european poverty construction
>>2165986
these are rednecks that also would think living in a shipping container is a good idea
>>2165981
these bricks are reinforced with injected concrete, idk how good of an idea this is really, id like to think theres also something else rigid placed into the larger holes but I dont see any evidence for such. still. unreinforced masonry is bad
>>
>>2165981
How does this system work in your first and third pics? Are these walls going to be stuccoed or plastered or something? Will they be insulated?

I assume they'll be coated with some kind of fiber reinforced material, because otherwise dry stacked blocks like that will make big problems with just the slightest amount of settling. We have a technique in the USA called "dry stacked block" or SBC (surface bonding concrete) where you do something similar. It's even a prescriptive technique allowed in the most common codes, but it's almost unheard of by builders. I don't think I've ever seen one in real life
>>
>>2165991
But masonry is a permitted form of construction everywhere.
>>
>>2165948
>living in california
well theres your problem
>>
>>2165981
Rebar is a terrible idea.Long lasting masonry is made of all very similar materials, which react similarly to environmental factors. Stone, concrete, and metal have too great a difference in their rate of expansion, and it causes them to crack when used together. Meanwhile, shit from thousands of years ago is still standing with little or no maintenance.
>>
>>2165993
that's typical modern brick construction. not sure what you're talking about.
you have the exterior brick layer and interior breezeblock with insulation in between.
>>
>>2165949
if it's concrete reinforced, or uses a steel structure, then the masonry is just a facade, and it's now no longer masonry construction.
>>
>>2167062
long-lasting masonry is only long-lasting because it is an location that is exceedingly favorable to it. it fell down everywhere else.
the rest of us use steel-reinforced concrete and these buildings stay standing after a magnitude 7.5 earthquake.
>>
>>2167320
Reinforced masonry has been a thing for centuries.
>>
>>2167323
There are plenty of earthquakes in Greece and Italy, anon. Their architecture is doing better than our national infrastructure.
>>
File: Georgian-House-0118_1.jpg (87 KB, 500x333)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>2165976
Where I live, not that it's very special, if you don't live in a house made of stone you are a complete mug because everything else doesn't last, all the wooden houses are didn't last. It's only buildings from the early 20th century that began to use reinforcement and they are mostly large bank buildings and offices. If you make alterations to older buildings the world heritage board advises the use of traditional (unreinforced) construction, depending on the historical listing of the building you might be forced to. In every place I have lived you can smack the wall and most of the time it's solid stone faced with plaster. Often the staircase is made of solid flagstones laid into the stone walls. Fucking armchair /DIY/ posters.
>>
>tfw 90 year old American brick house
>valley supposed to get an earthquake every 100 years
>over 100 years overdue
I can't imagine they were building duplexes with the highest quality during the Great Depression. We had a 5.7 last year from a previously unknown fault line, I'm used to quakes but now I fully expect to go down with my house at some random point in the future.
>>
>>2165993
>european
It’s Bongonistan
>>
>>2167534
So it's european
>>
Quite a bit of misleading or straight up misinformation in this thread.

First, why rebar is used extensively is not the same reason it’s required. Rebar is REQUIRED because concrete or masonry alone fails instantaneously, it’s fast fracture. Adding rebar gives the composite material a safety zone where the concrete itself fails but the overall structure won’t immediately collapse because the steel plastically deforms. The structure is useless and generally unsafe, but you are giving the occupants the opportunity to exit the building instead of having it kill them straight out.

Why rebar is used extensively is because it just so happens that adding just a little bit of it makes your overall structure incredibly light AND you save a buttload of money by not having to masonrymaxxx to achieve the same kinds of strength.

Assuming your permissible soil pressure will allow it (spoiler alert: it won’t) and you are only building a 1-2 story residential home, you can safely get away without putting rebar in your masonry. The caveat is your wall details are going to be more complex (cutting in keyways and interlocking joints to massive stone blocks IE $$$$) and you are going to use a fuck ton more concrete in your foundation. A lot of the old school farmhouses in the Midwest have non-reinforced foundations and they’re all in great shape because the guys who built them did a rule of thumb calculation for the thickness of the slab and doubled or tripled it for good measure.

Source: Design Of Reinforced Concrete Structures, Henry Cowan.
>>
>>2165652
plenty of counties in the USA without building codes. I can literally put anyhting i want on my property. i just have to give $50 to the building dept. guys and tell them what im gonna do. they send a guy out to confirm completion and assess taxes and thats it. built a 30ft diameter 12 foot tall riprap and mortar dome on my acreage to do caveman things in. cost like 700 bucks in raw materials
>>
>>2167665
Sexiest post on /diy/
>>
>>2167846
>a 30ft diameter 12 foot tall riprap and mortar dome
Don't have livestock in there. Would be a great storage dome for riprap.
>>
>>2165976
my house is over 400 years old and built out of literal rock. The walls are like 80cm thick and actually legit bulletproof.

Yeah it's a pain in the arse to maintain but it's way better than a cardboard McMansion.
>>
Yes the only thing code allows you do to is get a mortgage insurance title and or a higher resale value. Mostly for a mortgage tho. If you’re cool with just building it yourself then it’s fine
>>
File: Douchland uber alles.png (2.19 MB, 1714x856)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB PNG
Watched a youtubes about the nazzies getting flooded. This is what's inside those style homes. Sticks, straw and mud. Would it be legal to build this style shit in freedomland?
>>
>>2170250
Is that a pic from Somalia.
>>
>>2167511
>Their architecture is doing better than our national infrastructure.
Lmao that’s blatantly false
>>
>>2165652
Yes, but you will not build one. Lawtism is retarded and really an excuse to discuss your fantasies. If you're not already highly experienced you've no business posting these silly threads which are nonsense like container fantasies.
Serious people become their own SME and don't need to ask because they already put in work to know the answer.
>>
File: Half-timber.jpg (113 KB, 512x384)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>2170250
>>2170256
>has never heard of half timber houses
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 194x259)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>2170287
looks super gay.
pic rel is the average house in this country
If you don't live in a multi-century old multi-story stone building with walls as thick as your dick then you don't deserve to be called a man.
>>
>>2170287
I’ve heard of them, the big bad wolf blew that dumb shit down and you still haven’t learned? I love how the entire house is warped inward
>>
>>2170234

Unimaginably based house-older-than-modern-countries anon
>>
>>2170287
Tudor aesthetic is kino af
>>
>>2165652
>code compliant house using mainly stone these days? No crap like cheap wood or vinyl.
... wait... It's actually against codes to erect good stone houses in America?! What kind of consumerist nightmare are you living?!

>>2165976
>nobody legitimate has built unreinforced masonry for hundreds of years.
>What's Europe.jpg

>>2165981
It's against code here to use so weak bricks for residence and workplace construction. Can use the for sheds and barns etc.

>>2167323
>long-lasting masonry is only long-lasting because it is an location that is exceedingly favorable to it.
Mate, most German houses still stands after the Eiffel flash flood, a what 20 foot flood wave ravishing through the valleys? It devasted the whole region, and ruined the houses inside - but they still stand as the previous 200 years.

Long-lasting masonry is not at all the meme you apparently have been taught. Who told you this? The lobby group of Softwood is totally okay of America?
>>
>>2170294
>looks super gay.
The cover up the timber, as most half-timbered houses in Denmark is. It's still a very strong house with an exoskeleton like reinforcement - that's also easy to repair - load is spread around

>>2170297
>I’ve heard of them, the big bad wolf blew that dumb shit down and you still haven’t learned?
Why do Americans continue to believe these houses where first and foremost aesthetics? I wasn't at all. But people cared to beautify them - as the rednecks pimp their trucks today.
>>
>>2170250
>Would it be legal to build this style shit in freedomland?

No its a fire hazard and straw and branches are probably not code complaint building materials. I work as a Code Enforcement Officer but I do have to know standard building codes, fire codes, ect and compared to the favelas I see these spanish people put up in their backyards that doesn't look too bad. Was great last week some favela garage collapsed cause its made of rotting wood a good old tin roof with a blue tarp for some extra protection and held together by zip-ties, bubblegum and God knows what else. Of course the garage was part of a rental property with probably with like 3-4 spanish families that live there with a bunch of kids, they were lucky it didn't kill anyone.
Even better is that property is owned by some big contractor, who has ties to the mafia why else would a local politician know this guy and show up at the restaurant he owns and chills at all day to thank him over and over while handing him a big ass envelope, that buys up every house he can and turns them into shitty halfway houses for illegals who make them look like shit cause the don't maintain it and build random shit like they still live in some shitty South American country. He pays off the senior building inspector, the regular building inspector, the fire chief definitely and probably a few firefighters and cops are on the payroll too, and anyone else he can to turn a blind eye or to do whatever without permits. Its embarrassing the building inspectors here have their balls in a vice grip because they don't have the backbone to say nah get a permit and submit plans. At least they get their Christmas gifts every year from all the people they did favors for. I hate my job.
>>
>>2170294
>with walls as thick as your dick

4" walls will let a lot of heat out

should go with walls as thick as tyrone's dixk
>>
>>2172048
Bro, straight up-- life's too short to surround yourself with people that you detest and are disgusted by all the time. When you hate your job, you wind up hating your life, because you're spending most of your life energy doing something you hate.
I assume you're doing it because you're making decent money, but there's a million jobs out there for a white guy who can speak good english and show up sober. There are a LOT of people way stupider and lazier than you making more money at cushy comfy jobs, and you could be one of them if you spend some time looking.
I hope you find happiness anon
>>
>>2165660
This is true of all law. Its why we have hundreds of thousands of them. Anyone in a position of power can fuck over literally anyone.
>>
>>2165652
I don't know anything about construction or your particular legal situation, but could you not drill holes in aligned bricks going downwards, then reinforce the structure with metal poles? Then I suppose do the same along the top and secure it together.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.