[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20210608_200252.jpg (2.96 MB, 3693x2001)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB JPG
Plumber bros, I know you're out there.
Lend me your wisdom.

Renovating for the homeowner, house was built early 60s.
Western Canada, moderate climate, water table unknown.
Pictured is the old clay tile subsoil drainage running to the combined sewer beneath the house.

My issue is, the homeowners want a bathroom installed in the basement, on the upstream side of the weeping tile.
I figure this clay tile has never seen a drop of water since it was installed. The entire community is on a sort of plateau above the freshwater reservoir.

Can I (safely/legally) cut out the rusted backwater valve, P trap, and abandon the clay tile -- and connect my new drain line to the existing?

My other thought was to do the above, but dig in a sump barrel with a pump to collect any groundwater, and tie the discharge into the new sanitary stack above ground, with a new trap and check valve.

Any thoughts bros?
>>
File: 20210608_200300.jpg (1.73 MB, 1614x2678)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB JPG
Second angle
>>
Is it even legal to have your drain tile connected to the sewer anymore?
>>
>>2136697
Not for new construction.
But anything existing is grandfathered
>>
>>2136701
Yes... Grandfather is a verb...
>>
>>2136701
Don't destroy a grandfathered privilege. Do it right and install a separate line.
>>
I would work around it. It looks like you cut into it already though
>>
>>2136938
it is when i grandfathered ur mum
>>
>>2136956
Nice cope
>>
>>2136938
It is
>>
>>2136970
Cope more
>>
>>2136938
Fucking children and foreigners can't English.
>>
>>2136938
Yes....sentences end in ellipses...............................
>>
>>2136693
I personally guarantee you after 20 years there isn't a backwater valve doing its job.
Do what you want. But I suggest an ejector pit and no floor drains tied into the gravity sewer.
>>
OP here,

Spoke with a local inspector.

He agreed that a sump pit and pump would be okay for any groundwater that may collect, but the discharge would have to go to the outside.

Because we are replacing and not repairing, current codes apply.
>>
>>2137105
>>2137106
Cope on
>>
>>2136693

Not a plumber, but the general rule is that anything you do that is considered "major" must be up to modern code. Generally things can only be grandfathered for direct repairs or things inside the living space.
>>
>>2137489
>grandfathered
Grandfather is a noun not a verb
>>
>>2137490
it's both
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grandfather
>>
>>2137490
You're a meme not a person
>>
>>2137511
>>2137507
Cope
>>
>>2137490
It is a verb though. It is in common usage and people know what it means. That's how language works. We don't need your approval for it.
>>
>>2137540
>I'm wrong, but if I double down, people won't think I'm wrong, they'll think I'm an idiot!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.