[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I just discovered that the drain hose from my washer is split and has been draining water under my floor. I have concrete at the bottom, the previous owners put MDF flooring on top of engineered with a layer of underlay between. The water has completely rotted the bottom layer do flooring, and there are signs that this water damage happened before we took possession a few months ago (years ago). They may have fixed it, but it resurfaced when we started using the washer. I noticed it because mart of my floor squelched when I stepped on it.

Only part of it is moldy, but we’re going to have to rip it all out. Do I need to hire a restoration guy too? Any tips on removing glued down flooring? Am I fucked?
>>
Get down to the bare concrete and let it dry out for a while.
>>
>>2136692
That’s the plan. Should we clean the concrete with anything?
>>
>>2136698
Bleach, nasty food water absorbing into the concrete.
>>
>>2136703
It’s from the clothes washer thankfully. I heard bleach first then vinegar. Or is that just woo woo shit?
>>
>>2136689
>Any tips on removing glued down flooring?
Bust up the flooring and remove it with a long handled scraper/prybar, then get rid of the remaining glue and residue using a flooring adhesive remover (the non-voc kind first, then resort to the nasty stuff if you have to)
>>
Wear a fucking respirator when working on that shit, dawg.
>>
>>2136698
A remodel crew I worked with would come in after a lot of water damage removal companies. They'd just tear back 2' of floor and walls to bare studs and concrete. Just get a garden sprayer of dilute bleach. Then you can follow up with a mold killing primer. Anything that's black or warped flooring can be pitched.
>>
>>2136705
Bleach kills 90% of mold
Ammonia kills the other 10%

"Mold killing" paint is mold food after a couple years.

Seal with cheap garage 2-part epoxy, then do a floating floor
>>
>>2136689
That's just mildew, which is harmless. You eat honeydew anyway, right?
>>
>>2136807
The primer is just to seal the framing or subfloor. Water would just go around the epoxy if OP had continued issues. Plumber don't get out the jb weld when something leaks.
>>
nothing kills mold, you just have to remove the materials that have mold in it.
bleach literally just removes the pigment from the mold making it clear, plus it puts it into survival mode where it agressively spreads spores as fast as it can
luckily for relatively new concrete (~20 years old) mold will not survive in it because of the pH level.
your best bet is to seal the area off, maintain negative pressure in it with a vacuum with a HEPA filter and use a cup grinder to remove about 5-10mm off the concrete after you've removed all the moldy materials.
you can use these established procedures or these literal housewives tricks with bleach and vinegar
>>
>>2136916
>Oy vey goyim you need to grind off 1 cm of concrete to get rid of mold!
Shut the fuck up faggot

Op, bleach your surfaces to kill any bacteria, then allow to dry out for 2 weeks
Per the epa:
"Biocides are substances that can destroy living organisms. The use of a chemical or biocide that kills organisms such as mold (chlorine bleach, for example) is not recommended as a routine practice during mold cleanup. There may be instances, however, when professional judgment may indicate its use (for example, when immune-compromised individuals are present). In most cases, it is not possible or desirable to sterilize an area; a background level of mold spores will remain - these spores will not grow if the moisture problem has been resolved."
https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/should-i-use-bleach-clean-mold-0
>>
File: 1622341680685.jpg (4 KB, 268x268)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
lmao post more pictures op. i love shit like this. previouys owner was probably was a FUCKING REh-tard.
honestly just bleach it, you could even prime the cement with some primer afterwards to prevent mold from spreading just in case.
>>
>>2137252
Here’s what it looked like before we started ripping out the rotten shit. The previous owner I think was trying to fix shit done by the first owner, who really fucked shit up. Both of them didn’t want to do anything right the first time.
>>
>>2136916
I think OP is trying to save those floorboards though
>>
File: scrapper.jpg (344 KB, 1000x1000)
344 KB
344 KB JPG
>>2136689
if its a concrete slab at the bottom rent a power scraper and just blast all that shit off the floor
>>
I would rip out everything, flood cut the walls like the other anon said, then be prepared to replace the bottom plate of the walls in spots it's really bad. Let the place dry out, run fans and if you can a dehumidifier for a couple days. Then I would seal the concrete with kilz if there was still any odor or miscolored areas. Then a vapor barrier and your new flooring
>>
>>2137286
Nah we’re ripping them out.

>>2137301
The walls seem ok.
>>
You just talked me out of using non waterproof engineered hardwood with one picture. I think I'm gonna go with tile after this shit
>>
just dump a bunch of rice on it.
>>
While you're at it add a drain in the floor.
>>
>>2137393
Were replacing it with vinyl plank.
>>
>>2136698
Yep just get it down to bare concrete and consider leaving it that way. They make nice stain & seal products if your concrete is nice and naked without prior paint or oily shit staining it.
>>
>>2137393
tile will still pop if there standing water sitting on it
>>
File: 2WFF1_AS01.jpeg.jpg (48 KB, 1367x926)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>2136689
>Any tips on removing glued down flooring?
Specific tools are sold to scrape up glued down flooring, but when I did it, I just hammered the edge of a shovel flat, angle grinded the edge off so it was a straight line, then sharpened it. It worked, but I eventually bought a second scraper like in pic related so me and a friend could do the job twice as fast while drinking beers.
Everyone else seems to be giving you good suggestions on eliminating the mold. This should be a pretty easy project even for someone completely inexperienced--though likely time consuming.
>>
>>2136916
>nothing kills mold, you just have to remove the materials that have mold in it.
>bleach literally just removes the pigment from the mold making it clear, plus it puts it into survival mode where it agressively spreads spores as fast as it can
What the fuck am I reading here?
>>
>>2136689
What country are you in?

In the UK finding something like this within a few years of moving in (discovering covered up structural damage) is grounds for a lawsuit to set it right.
>>
>>2137499
buy this and a couple of pizzas, enjoy your new muscles
>>
>>2137543
I wish more people had this attitude. Look at things as working out, learn/do something new and improve quality of life. A completed job will all be worth it.
>>
>>2137539
Canada. A friend of mine is a lawyer and we’re going to discuss options on Saturday.

>>2137499
It’s actually been kinda fun scraping it up. We’ve been using a Bosch impact driver with a chisel head to lift the stuff as well as your pic.
>>
>>2136807
Based
>>
File: 1608025441533.png (439 KB, 964x815)
439 KB
439 KB PNG
>>2136807
>>2136689
Don't mix bleach and amonia you fucking retard. Not unless you want to kill yourself and your family in the most painful, slowest way possible.
>>
>>2136689
eh the wood is trash and because concrete causes pooling you need to expand out and find exactly where the water spread too. once that is done replace all the wood and you are good
>>
>>2136916
absolute retardation and overkill. I bet you paid some retard who conned you into multi thousands for 'mold removal'
>>
>>2136916
>nothing kills mold
Retard alarms started going off around the globe. Finally found something that can't be killed. You think the terminators were based off mold?
>>
Just remember to wear a PROPER mask when dealing with mold. And open windows etc when using that amount of bleach. When done cleaning use a dehumidifier.
>>
>>2137836
THIS! Please be careful and think first.
>>
>>2137158
>>2137158
>>2137158
go back to pol.

bleach doesn't kill mold you troglodyte. there are specialty products designed to kill mold.

this is basic stuff.
>>
>>2138311
Bleach literally kills mold. Go back to your cave
Bleach will absolutely kill all surface mold without an issue. To eliminate the mold from coming back you keep the area dry because being dry also kills mold
>>
File: file.png (851 KB, 777x901)
851 KB
851 KB PNG
>>2138314
lurk more
>>
>>2136916
Dont listen to this retard, if you expose the aggregate in concrete via grinding youll ruin the slab
>>
>>2138314
This anon is right; bleach absolutely kills surface mold. The issue though, is that most of the time on porous surfaces like drywall or softwood, the surface mold being killed won't necessarily kill the embedded mold, and bleach has no residual killing action. (after a few hours/days tops the bleach is dissipated and gone)
Other mold killing products often include ingredients like tin salts etc that remain in the substrate after treatment and offer long term treatment effects. A cheap and easy, safe way to do this at home is with borax solution.

I doubt long term or deep treatments are necessary on concrete however; once you clean the surface and have fixed the moisture issue, you probably won't have problems anymore
>>
>>2136705
Isn't mixing bleach and vinegar a bad idea because it creates a toxic gas?
>>
>>2138616
never stop lurking...
>>
>>2136916
>nothing kills mold
Imagine believing this
>>
>>2137459
Not if you use modified thinset
>>
If you are in the US the sellers should have listed it in their home disclosure. If it isn't listed, and it is obvious that they knew about it, call your realtor and notify them.

The realtor will put you in touch with an attorney who will get the sellers to fix it on their dime.
>>
Even if the surface is dry there could be moisture absorbed into the floors/walls, borrow a moisture tester.
You should get some dessicant packages and run a dehumidifier in the area for a week or two.
>>
>>2136916
>nothing kills mold
>mold will not survive in it because of the pH level

Which one is it, friend?
Imagine the pH level of bleach.
>>
>>2138787
He's just a retard, next thing he will be saying we have to send in the good mold to kill the bad mold.
>>
Get Zerotol it will kill the mold.
>>
>>2138661
>If it isn't listed, and it is obvious that they knew about it
If it wasn't disclosed, and a disclosure was provided, and you can PROVE that they both knew about it and intentionally covered it up and hid it from you to pass off a damaged property as a good property, then you might have something to go on.
If they can say "There was a leak once, but we thought we fixed it and that everything was remediated" then they didn't try to pass the buck, and you won't have a case.

It seems unlikely that they put down new flooring over squelchy water without bothering to fix a 10$ drain hose on the washing machine.
Also, if it took OP many months to notice the issue while he's living there, then its believable that the previous owners didn't know either
>>
>>2138984
honestly I'm down for a good mold fight
>>
It depends on the type of mold OP. Chances are that bleach should kill most of it and running a dehumidifier for a couple weeks should kill the rest.

Another suggested product is mold armor which I think is basically sodium hydroxide a base. So you have acid, base and bleach, for the love of god just choose one. I guess it would be safe to do an acid then base wash just make sure you rinse it well a couple times between the two.
>>
If you want to do a good job, you will most likely have to rip out the rotted plywood and replace it.
>>
>>2139360
It was on concrete.

Put my new floor in. Vinyl plank turns out good.
>>
>>2140534
Looks good bro
>>
>>2136807
Wrong board. Take that shit to /b/.
>>
>>2136689
imo
>dont use machine obviously
>anything water damaged/rotted has got to come out sadly
>get a de-humidifier or run a heater *dry it out*
>give it a qucik wipe with bleach or whatever i mean it should be fine desu
>replace hose
>new sheet of plywood or whatever you want to use
>new floor ontop

not much else you can do rotten floor=will break
wet shit=will grow mold

you have to remove and dry out no way around it
>>
>>2138641
This was a hoax. 34 minutes between first and last posts he would have already been dead if not comatose from the pain.
>>
>>2136916
Kek. Op also knock out those walls
>>
Are you and your wife fixing this op? If so make that lazy bitch do all the work
>>
>>2138311
>Please refrain from posting the following:
>Irrelevant catchphrases
>>
>>2138685
>>2137499
>>2137300
>>2137158
>>2136916
>>2136708
>>2139321
Lol its amazing half you cunts get any shit done at all with all this constant fucking around buying products and shit that wont change the outcome of what is a simple and basic job
>>
>>2136807
Do not mix bleach and ammonia or you will die
>>
>>2142518
Who wants to live forever.
>>
>>2142518
What if someone else does the mixing and I only apply it? Do I still die, or is it just the guy that does the actual mixing?
>>
File: 1535090660200.png (756 KB, 617x1025)
756 KB
756 KB PNG
>>2138311
>>
>>2136916
Well except sporklenz, which is designed to kill spores.
>>
>>2137281
Concrobium.. shit is mint
>>
File: 1620330962845.png (203 KB, 500x764)
203 KB
203 KB PNG
Now I know you're trolling
>>
>>2145487

Now I know you're an idiot.

Anyway, here's what triggered him: >>2142505
>>
>>2136689
>How fucked am I?
You arent, with someone like you at the helm youll be rebuilding it better than before. And you can take pride in that.
>>
File: 1623717921810.jpg (79 KB, 640x480)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>2140534
next time sort the panks by pattern and dont put three of the same patterns right next to each other
>>
>>2142892
>le epic semantics meam I'm such an epic trol xDDD!!11!
whoever breathes in the gas made by the reaction will die.

>>2137836
>slowest way
chlorine gas isn't a slow death at all. it is painful, but it's not slow.
>>
>>2136807
Fucking kill yourself you massive faggot
>>
>>2136916
Thanks for a hearty laugh you fucking retard
>>
>>2138580
Wow that's gold right there
>>
>>2138641
Hilarious but not believable

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.