[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 23 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20210604_152321.jpg (304 KB, 1851x1276)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
Wasn't sure if I should have posted in /o/ didn't see much about repairs there. I have a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire that I received from my grandmother who passed away not to long ago. Needs a little work and decided to use it to learn more about cars and work on it myself. During my work on repairing the cooling system I found a stray connector that seems to have no female partner. Can't seem to identify it in the manual either. Would anyone happen to know what it is? It is stationed under the alternator and runs back towards the back of the engine. Pic is related. I'll have another up in a moment to show pathing.
>>
File: 20210604_151023.jpg (1.57 MB, 2085x1815)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
Alright here is the pathing. These pictures were taken from the front of the car.
>>
Looks like it hasn't been disconnected for very long. Also, those Hanes/Chilton manuals are garbage. Try to get your hands on the dealer repair manuals. https://www.ebay.com/itm/203353728089?hash=item2f58d3a459:g:kdsAAOSwea5gfeog
>>
>>2133633
Been disconnected for about 5 years. Car was running for awhile but my grandmother stopped using it and got a new car. Hasn't been running for awhile. Whatever connector this is was disconnected from whatever mechanic worked on it. They had disconnected the coolant level sensor as well. I will try to get that manual looks better than what I got.
>>
Looks like it connects to a sensor. But who knows what one. Maybe get an odb scan tool and see what codes come up. They have cheap Bluetooth ones you can get on Amazon and they are worth it.
>>
>>2133641
Did that. Had to replace the fuse to the cig lighter cause some how that powers the OBDII tool? Anyways only error I am getting is an O2 sensor. I think PO130 if I remember correctly.
>>
>>2133641
This. Those weatherproof sensors are all over. Could be going somewhere on the cooling system. Normally you can look at the bend in the wire and get a general idea of where it was going.
>>
>>2133644
02 sensor is in exhaust system. Is the plug jumped out?
>>
>>2133646
It does not appear so but I will check again. O2 sensors often just fail especially for a nearly 21 year old car. The color pattern is similar to the radiator fan connector but that one is already in place. They both share the same wire coloring.

>>2133645
Yeah tried that. It looks like it bends towards the cooling system or the AC lines but there is no free connector that meets it which is the problem. It is just very odd.
>>
>>2133647
I wonder if that connector wire went bad and maybe they just ran a new wire and didn't remove the old one.
>>
>>2133647
The coolant temp sensor on those cars looks like the same type of connector. Hard to find a good pic online, but if it’s the temp sensor it’s not going to plug into another wire, the sensor is threaded in somewhere and might be buried under other crap.
>>
>>2133650
Does the car run? Because if you can drive it and the fans all run properly and nothing overheats and no codes on the scanner, then it could be that, but you would notice some new out of place wires I’d think if somebody was in there bypassing OE connections and sensors. Sometimes people will unplug shit to bypass a bad sensor, like if the fan wasn’t running because of a fucked coolant sensor, unplugging the sensor might cause the fan to run constantly, but I haven’t worked on a 2000 Sunfire in awhile so who knows
>>
>>2133650
you know maybe. Half way down that wire there is another connector in the middle and its all wrapped up in tape. Seems kind of pointless. Asked my dad about this too. He thinks it is to a feature this car does not have but again have no idea where this goes or connects to and the manual doesnt say anything about it.

>>2133651
Na that one is working fine get coolant temp on the dash. The O2 sensor I mentioned earlier is on the exhaust manifold. It is there and has a connector to it also don't think they share the same wire color if there is any other pictures to help clarify things more let me know. Want to solve this issue and get this car fully functional. it'll be my first car.
>>
>>2133652
It does run yes. Though I am unsure if it is running well. I replaced a cooling fan and themostat for it. Temp seems to run a little high if I understand correctly but it no longer over heats. Then the oil pressure light keeps flashing on and of sporadically. Other than that it starts up rather easily and it does drive.
>>
>>2133655
>>2133658
Sometimes there is more than one temp sensor. Just had to deal with that on a Honda, an upper sensor that gives info to the dash and a lower sensor that sends info to the fans.

If you’re still working on it, you will find out. It’s probably not the oil pressure, I think this pic >>2133651 the circled part is the oil pressure sensor which is often a different type of plug and a temp sensor is in the bottom left of the pic.
>>
>>2133658
>I replaced a cooling fan and themostat for it. Temp seems to run a little high if I understand correctly but it no longer over heats.
Generally auto parts stores will offer thermostats which open at different temperature ranges depending on if you want to run your engine hotter or cooler, you probably just picked one which was different from whatever it came with.

Oil pressure senders often go bad, they're not difficult to replace usually nor expensive. Just wait till your next oil change to do it.
>>
>>2133633
>Try to get your hands on the dealer repair manuals
Eh, that depends. I have factory manuals for my truck, and every diagnostic procedure is "plug in a $3000 scan tool."
>>
>>2133743
Sounds good. I picked the one that was similar to what was already in there. Think this one is 108F though I think it is meant to be 180 now that I am looking it up. I just replaced with one similar to what was in there has the same rating at the one now. If it was too low though wouldn't the engine run cooler? I feel like there is a restriction somewhere.
>>
>>2133753
The you can reference the manual and it will tell you the quickest easiest way to fix it. A scan tool just tells you what's wrong not how to fix it
>>
That connector looks like the connector for the "Coolant Temperature Sending Unit" on my 1991 chevy corsica, when it went bad the temp on the dash still worked but the car's computer had no idea how hot it was and the rad fan never came on until it was changed GL Anon electrical gremlins are the worst.
>>
>>2133658
Looks like what connects to my oil pressure sending unit. Is there something else hanging off the side of the head?
>>
>>2135074
Not that I could see anywhere else.
>>
Is this the 2.2l or 2.4l? If its a 2.4l I daily drive the same car. I'll find the plug if you reply and recommend a bunch of easy stuff to make the car run like brand new.
>>
>>2135184
Looking at the photos you posted it looks like the 2.2l. I'll still check the shop manual to see if I can find info on what the plug is for.
>>
File: 20210608_041429.jpg (2.63 MB, 3264x2448)
2.63 MB
2.63 MB JPG
Based on your original photos my best guess is compressor clutch, but I'm not really sure because I'm not sure where the plug is in relation to the yellow path you drew. Anyways, buy the service manual for your model year. These photos are from the 1997 service manual, but I don't think any major changes occurred.
>>
File: 20210608_041613.jpg (2.63 MB, 3264x2448)
2.63 MB
2.63 MB JPG
>>
File: 20210608_041625.jpg (2.54 MB, 3264x2448)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB JPG
>>
File: 20210608_041641.jpg (2.36 MB, 3264x2448)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB JPG
>>
File: 20210608_041651.jpg (2.51 MB, 3264x2448)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB JPG
>>
>>2135192
Thank you it might be that but I will have to check and make sure. Your first image has the full view of the loom I am looking at so I drew a yellow line showing where the connector is in relation to your image and where I have traced it so far.
>>
File: 1623140450110.jpg (1.92 MB, 2447x3264)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
>>2135386
of course my dumbass actually has to upload the imagine.
>>
>>2135192
You are right and misdrew some things a bit. Brain is kind of shit but looking yeah this goes to the AC compressor. Having trouble finding the female connector for it but it is for sure the wire. Thanks for your help the manual I have has none of these images and none of the connectors are easily locatable unless you know what you're looking for. Don't think I could have figured this on my own so thank you.
>>
>>2133627
It may not go to anything. I used to have a base model 94 civic that had tons of connectors that didn't connect to anything. They used the same wiring harness on the lowest trim level and the highest trim level, so i had connectors for power seats, windows, digital clock, sunroof, a/c, etc. that the car never had from the factory
>>
>>2135693
Thanks for the response but the problem was solved. It goes to the clutch on the AC compressor.
>>
>>2133627
>I found a stray connector that seems to have no female partner.
Plez stop talking about me.
>>
>>2135485
It most likely got unplugged because the compressor grenaded. Don't plug it back in. If you want to fix the AC, you will need a new compressor, drier, and orifice tube. A flush is recommended for everything else. If you have the money it would be worth changing the condenser as well, since it basically comes out to change the orifice tube. It will be an extra 200 or so for oil, r134a, manifold gauges and vacuum pump but you will be able to do AC work forever, or a local shop can fill it for 50.
>>
>>2136587
The advice here is very useful as the compressors clutch is not engaging but I do not think it was grenaded. This connector and the coolant level connector were both disconnected. I believe this was done to move them out of the way and remove the reservoir. Looking at some of the parts I am sure someone else has worked on the coolant system before. In this particular car if the pressure in the AC system is too low the compressor will never be engaged or maybe the clutch is just out or something. No clue what the issue is for sure but I will def check the pressure of the AC system first before I decide to mess with any of the other parts. Got to replace the water pump anyways so it'll give me an excuse to go through the AC
>>
>>2136810
I had a Toyota Echo like that. I had to feed a straight 12v jump into the AC clutch to force it to engage so could get an accurate reading and low-side fill pressure. Once filled, I plugged the harness back into the AC clutch and it worked great.

Too bad the floor fell out of the thing a year later. The engine and transmission were perfect.. body, not so much.

Be super careful if you do that. The echo had the AC clutch/compressor right up top, Chevy puts it down low but at least still forward. I had a lot of trouble filling my Chevy AC without getting burned. Obviously watch your fingers too, no loose clothes, yadda yadda.
>>
>>2133627
Where is it
>>
>>2136851
Yeah basically going to do the same. Got an isolated dc power supply so I can just hook it up to 12 volts and see if it engages and if it does then it'll be an electrical issue which can easily be narrowed down. Car seems to function fine but has a overheat issue. Since the pump has appeared to have failed of course. Not really a mechanic person but this has been a fun project to work on.
>>
>>2137353

If it does engage, it's probably just low pressure. The computer won't engage the compressor if it thinks the pressure is too low (not enough refrigerant).

Note: my van apparently has an expansion tank on a regulator. Not all vehicles do this but if you charge up to a certain point, say 30 lbs, and it just stops reading higher even though you can feel more refrigerant is getting dumped in, you can finish that can but don't add another as it could damage the system.
>>
>>2136810
On mine the compressor main seal was leaky from sitting, which any older Sunfire has. Expect it to leak. These actually have really great AC systems. When r134a came out they needed a one size fits all compressor so they have a compressor that is able to handle a light truck.
>>
File: 1623405190922.png (13 KB, 141x55)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
Are they actually good cars anon?
>>
>>2137510
Not OP but daily a sunfire from 100k to 155k and counting, they are not. Its the age that kills them more than anything. Multiple plastic coolant parts failed. Engine cradle, a major part of the frame, has cracked twice once nearly killing me. Brake master cylinder failed. AC failed but this is due to sitting for a prolonged time. Most engine sensors needed replacement. Entire front suspension was shot by 100k. Rust is slowly eating the brake lines and rear suspension, and my driver-side muffler is more of a suggestion of where a new muffler should go rather than functional. Valve train sounds like a drum line and you have to pull the engine to be able to work on it. I could literally go on all day.
>>
>>2137718
Damn, thanks for the info man. Shame too, they're cool little cars.
>>
>>2137718
Damn that's rough. Mines a 91k Honestly most things look fine. Seems to run alright besides the heating issue and I have to do some tune up bullshit but for a 20 year old used car I am very happy with the condition. It'll last me many more years when I get it going and take care of it.

>>2137472
OH I know this AC is awesome but havent seen it run in years so not sure why it is nonfunctional now except that the refrigerant is gone. What kind of leak are we looking at here a slow one? I don't really wanna try to recharge it if it'll all leak out again.
>>
Wanted to update and ask other mechanics what they think. I have a overheat issue still. Different from before as I think the problem before was a stuck thermostat. The issue now is it overheats while driving. Seems to slowly climb with sudden drops in temp from time to time. Drop is not significant but enough to see the needle move. When the car is not moving it will cool down. The other related issue is coolant seems to like coming out from the overflow line. Even though the level appears to be a bit lower than the cold fill indicator it still pushes out coolant on the overflow line. I am not experienced enough with these systems especially the expansion reservoir kind. Only other idea I can think of is that the oil light comes on and off especially when the car moves past 230F and wont shut off. But pressing on the pedal causes it to turn off. Since the previous owner is no longer with us I do not know what work was done on it. Someone told my uncle they "casted" something but whole the hell knows. If there is anything else that might help narrow this issue let me know.
>>
>>2133627
Go to rockauto and find your car, then go to the electrical connector tab and see which connector matches your mystery connector.
>>
>>2139642
I'd do a leakdown test to see if you've a seeping head gasket.
>>
>>2139651
Wouldn't that cause the car to run funny or exhaust smoke if a seeping head gasket is an issue?
>>
>>2139642
Change the oil pressure sensor, they always go bad on these. The temps on this car are allowed to climb past the middle, the cooling fan doesn't even turn on until you are almost at the white line between ideal and yellow. If you are still having oil pressure issues something is really bad I would drop the oil pan and check the pickup at that point. As for the cooling system, check for system pressure and make sure you have no leaks. Mine loses a little coolant through the overflow at normal temps during hot summer city driving, mainly because of the late engagement of the fan.
>>
>>2133627
bump
>>
>>2133627
Did you figure it out?
>>
>>2133627
Is your alternator plugged in? How long is it?

That plug is commonly used on cars for fog lights, alternators, sensors (oil, temp, knock, etc).
>>
>>2139642
It's leaking out of the overflow line because it is overheating. Pressure is exceeding the amount, and pushing out the radiator cap that is only rated at 220 degrees or w/e. You hit 230 and it pushes through the spring.

Overheating could be from:
>Air in the system, need to burp it
>Cracked heads, exhaust gases are being pushed up through crack, and you will see bubbles in coolant
>Bad head gasket, coolant leaking into cylinders, again boiling the coolant due to lack of pressure to maintain temperature (Pressurized water can retain more heat without boiling, create a pressure leak and that same water will boil)

Does your oil look like a chocolate milkshake? There are testers to determine if you have combustion gases getting into your coolant. Or you can pressure test your cylinders and see if anything is out of whack.

t. Changed parts on my 5.3 (radiator, hoses, water pump, spark plugs, coils, wire, knock sensors) without diagnosing until the problem got progressively worse and abundantly clear that it was a bad head gasket.
>>
>>2139642
>other mechanics what they think. I have a overheat issue still. Different from before as I think the problem before was a stuck thermostat. The issue now is it overheats while driving. Seems to slowly climb with sudden drops in temp from time to time. Drop is not significant but enough to see the needle move. When the car is not moving it will cool down. The other related issue is coolant seems to like coming out from the overflow line. Even though the level appears to be a bit lower than the cold fill indicator it still pushes out coolant on the overflow line. I am not experienced enough with these systems especially the expansion reservoir kind. Only other idea I can think of is that the oil light comes on and off especially when the car moves past 230F and wont shut off. But pres

the oil pressure switch on the back of the engine block is likely bad. These cars tend to run hot but pushing coolant out is not a good sign. Can you check the voltage with a volt meter between the battery negative terminal and the engine block? Any voltage reading you get should be as close to zero as possible, if not you have a bad engine ground.
>>
>>2142357
>>2142324

Hey, I had a mystery overheat too that nobody figured out until after it started running like garbage and I couldn't get it over ⅓ throttle.. turned out my cat shot its internals into the pipe and clogged the exhaust. The backpressure stripped off a header nut never to be found, the resulting exhaust leak against the back of the engine was apparently the only reason it even ran, but because it ran nobody thought to check the exhaust.

tl;dr: also check for exhaust leak, especially near or against the engine.
>>
>>2133627
i will say if you can't find an answer here /o/ is worth asking
>>
>>2142934
No, no it isn't.
/o/ is full of zoomer kids who rattle of car specs in what amounts to a dick waving contest. Most of them have little to no actual mechanical knowledge and probably don't even open the hood of their cars. If you want to get mod ideas for an R spec Nissan Skyline, go to /o/. If you want to know what can be cucking up your engine and how to fix it, this is the better board to ask in.
>>
File: Cactuar_page_10_b.jpg (9 KB, 200x200)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>2142942
/O/ is kinda shit now. Garbage threads. People creating threads for stupid shit instead of a SQTDDOT. Even the generals can't stay up long without bumping every hour.

Is DIY for oldfags that now have houses?
>>
>>2142942
>>2143315
diy has helped me a lot so far. Better than /o/ eve has. Wasn't for you guys wouldnt have gotten so far in this project. Haven't been able to address the overheating issue yet so I havent been able to update you guys. Plan on doing a compression test tomorrow and go from there and check my engine ground as an anon mentioned. Hopefully something will yield results. The engine sounds find there are no error codes besides an O2 sensor if I can just nip this overheat issue I will have a nice starting car for me. Just worried since this car has had this issue for awhile and why it went disused as the mechanics my late grandmother went to couldnt fix it for some reason.
>>
>>2135485
>Thanks for your help the manual I have has none of these images
Chiltons and Hayes manuals and next to worthless
>>
>>2143624
Yeah I noticed. Took your advice and spent a bit on the service manual and holy hell the information in here is insane.
>>
>>2142324
Did a pressure test yesterday afternoon. First cylinder is around 150psi. Number two around 113psi. Cylinder 3 also around 113psi. Finally Cylinder four is around 120 psi.

It is odd how the pressures are situated like that but I feel like I should look into replacing that head gasket. What are your thoughts?
>>
>>2145188
Try putting a tablespoon of oil down the spark plug holes and redo the compression test if the numbers seem low. If the compression rises after you add the oil, the rings are probably shot but valves out of adjustment are also something you might want to look at.
>>
>>2145785
Might be a bit late for that option. I am about ready to pull the head off today. Damn wish I woulda known that. Will be definitely taking a look at those valves but we are getting way out of my skill level so I am going to have someone take a look at it. Also saw a lot of crap flush out of the coolant which I took an image of and upload in a moment. It is amazing tearing this apart. I am weak af and still managing and I am finding shit that previous mechanics didn't put back in place. Going to figure out what some stuff goes to. Been having a lot of fun on this project.
>>
I drained this out of my recircline. Besides the big pieces like the leaves the small stuff came from inside the coolant lines. Which makes me think I need to flush out the radiator better as it might have a restriction. Is it possible to flush water through though coolant ports in the block and not cause issues? Why did this turn so brown when it wa smore transparent and orange. We only had this coolant in like a week and a half with less than 4 hours of run time.
>>
File: 20210621_123025.jpg (1.46 MB, 1838x1830)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB JPG
>>2146090
Opps my bad didn't include the image.
>>
File: fc.jpg (978 KB, 3103x1611)
978 KB
978 KB JPG
>>2146082
I was a motorcycle mechanic for 10 years, and work on cars with my brother and buddy occasionally. You see some shit you wouldn't think possible sometimes and tricks like that come with experience. Keep wrenching and it becomes an addiction...I wish I still had my RX7.
>>
>>2146090
Looks like rust, if things sit expect to have to flush all the fluids a couple times. Wait until you pull the head off, the carbon build up might be very interesting. If there's a lot try to get rid of much of it as you can, it can cause knocking and endless headaches with running. I've seen it shatter spark plug insulators.
>>
>>2146143
Thanks for the tips. I did take the exhaust manifold off. The studs were all loose which was very odd to me.
>>
>>2146141
Thanks. My body is not made for this kind of work but I have managed so far. Can't believe I got those head bolts off. I am a bit concerned about some of the coloration I see but you more experienced guys might be able to help. If you guys need more specific pictures let me know. I'll upload what I got momentarily.
>>
File: 20210621_154348.jpg (1.71 MB, 3024x1179)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
With the valve cover removed.
>>
Here are what the valves look like the 3 and 2 are a little wet to the touch. 4 seems wet but not really. The numbers are in order of the labeled pistons in the 3rd image.
>>
File: 20210621_173101.jpg (945 KB, 3024x1156)
945 KB
945 KB JPG
>>2146310
My bad forgot the image again.
>>
File: 20210621_173629.jpg (2.49 MB, 4032x1921)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB JPG
Finally here are the pistons themselves. If you need a better angle let me know. Number 2 and 3 are wet to the touch oily I think. I was not sure about 4 since I think a little bit of residual coolant spilled in from the head. But considering the crap inside maybe it was wet previously.

Recap compression values
1:~150psi
2:~110psi
3:~110psi
4:~120psi
>>
>>2146313
Updates? Hoping you'll figure this out, too many people are afraid to work on shit these days...
>>
>>2143315
I think /o/ is for busriders and people who once did an oil change in their dorm parking lot and /diy/ is for people pulling heads in their garage.
>>
>>2147285
Not much right now. But had my dad look at is since he has been working on cars for decades. The cylinders look alright. He figures because of that a good cleaning and a valve job should be good. I am going to spend today relooming the wiring behind the engine as they look at bit tattered and im going to see if I can flush water through the coolant passages in the head and make sure they are not blocked. got a few misc things here and there a few connectors I need to replace a sensor or two and a new bolt as it seems the previous mechanic lost the mounting bolt for the evap solenoid bracket. I am no mechanic my previous work on any engine was a 49cc moped which I did a bore kit on. So this is more of a learning experience and hope that I am able to complete this job and have a running car I can use.
>>
>>2147304
I am an EE major so this def is not my field but all the same idea when it comes to trouble shooting I think. So it has been fun to piece this together. But hell this requires a lot of physical effort. Hell I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get those head bolts off. Car is old enough that even a dumbass like me can do something about it. Can't afford a mechanic and I do have some time to spare so fuck it might as well do it myself.

>>2147285
This is kind of the list of things I am going to be doing. Been writing things down while I took that head off. Going through it more but so far this is what I got.

replace serp belt
replace alternator or bearings (Need large than 17mm wrench)
new evap hoses and evap connector
new head gasket set.
Up/dn stream O2
Oil pressure switch((maybe)
flush radiator and coolant lines
drain oil and replace filter
machine valves and resurface head
replace water pump
inspect coolant t-junction plastic piping(might have a small crack)
find any leaks in AC if they exist and recharge
new locking clips or connectors for injectors
replace coolant resevor
inspect and reloom engine bottom end electricals
new bolt for evap bracket
clean headlight interior
new bolts and body clips
>>
File: weller_we1010edukit.jpg (38 KB, 700x500)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>2133627
Anyone ITT refurbish an alternator? I got pic related, but it's not enough wattage to get the job done.

What's a good soldering iron for working with silver solder?
>>
File: 20210623_103247.jpg (1.69 MB, 2268x3024)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB JPG
>>2147361
Personally I would use a hakko with a good temp control and decent flux. SIlver solder is a bitch to use so I still run leaded. It is a car so it isn't like it matters to much to me. But make sure you use different tips ESPECIALLY if those tips are contaminated with leaded solder. They do not mix well and cause a lot of problems.

My station is a hakko fx-8880 70W at 120V
>>
>>2147361
I am in the middle of taking mines apart. The bearings are worn and it's making the god awful squeak when the belt drives it.
>>
>>2147354
Get an impact wrench kneegrow. Might snap the bolts, but at least you didn’t waste 2 hours with hand tools first.

>>2147361
>>2147373
I have the Hakko too, seems to be the standard for the weekend warriors around here. Definitely has a lot more balls than the $5 soldering sticks and you could probably use a fat tip to hold the heat, but if you really need power, why not go with one of the big soldering guns? A good soldering iron like the Weller in your pic or the Hakko 888 are great to have for other projects, but the gun is a different tool for heavier jobs.
>>
>>2147373
>>2147389
much obliged

>>2147374
for me one of the transistors on the ractifier cracked, so it stopped charging. I ordered a new one, but going to rebuild this one to have on the shelf/for the experience.

It was a bit of a pain to take apart. Some frens told me to use a chisel to knock the bolts loose. Otherwise I would have stripped the heads.
>>
>>2147389
>Get an impact wrench kneegrow.
mah nigga if I could I may not be working on my own car as I would have money to buy some nice luxury tools. Just running around with some ratchets and wrenches. One day I'll have the tools one day

Not sure about the "weekend warriors" or whatnot but I've owned this hakko for 6 years and it has done me right with no tip replacements in that time. Since I generally do smaller work like switches and cellphones I really do not need much more than that and even still this will work fine for a alternator. Maybe if I was trying to solder up thick power busses for a electrical pole or something sure or if I need quick desoldering that tool would be so nice to have but I got what I got and make it work for as many applications that I can.

>>2147395
Ah okay makes sense for a job like that a small iron with a decent flat tip should be more than enough. I am not very well verse with silver solder since I hate the stuff so I can't advise more than this. Mines wasn't very hard to take apart so far but I am missing a wrench that can handle the nut on the pulley so gotta get that first before I can get the rest apart. What I am worried about is how in the hell am I getting press fit bearings out and new ones into the damn thing.
>>
>>2147402
I'm swapping the ractifier assembly... the contacts between it and the voltage regulator assembly are massive.

Check out this guys channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXBVRkE64xA
>>
>>2147424
Video doesn't exactly instil much confidence in me. Going to need to figure out how to push it out instead. But at least I know not to wack on it so thank you.
>>
>>2147402
The Porter Cable was like $50 during Prime Days. I’m shilling hard for impact wrenches these days, it makes life so much easier for the weekend /o/tist. The cordless ones are nicer to use, but one of these 450ft-lb corded versions like the PC or Bauer at HF will save a lot of time and headaches. Just doing brake jobs or rotating tires, it saves like half an hour being able to jack the car up first and then pull the lugs off instead of cracking them loose while the car is still on the ground.
>>
>>2147445
>I know not to wack on it
I made that mistake before :) i will usually put a buffer between the hammer and in my case shaft. Like if I'm waking a steel shaft, i'll put a piece of aluminum between...

Got to find to figure out the right technique. Knowing someone with experience goes a long way.
>>
Can anyone tell me wth this is? It feels like a wire from say a wire brush or something. It is coming out of one of the radial holes next to the threads that the oil filter screws into.
>>
File: 20210623_145909.jpg (254 KB, 1306x980)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
>>2147546
I have no idea why I keep forgetting the image when i submit but pic rel to my previous post.
>>
>>2147548
Is it copper? It could be a wire strand from anywhere. There’s a million around my garage from cutting and stripping wires. If it’s still shiny and clean, it’s probably pretty recent, otherwise it would oxidize.
>>
>>2147675
Sorry I do not know what it is. What I do know is it is sticking out of my engine in the oil filter area. I tried to pull it out but it felt attached to something.
>>
>>2147451

My Jr. High shop teacher taught us to use hardwood, FWIW.
>>
File: Scooby whiskers.jpg (547 KB, 2048x1536)
547 KB
547 KB JPG
>>2147548

Sometimes metal just grows whiskers. Usually a crystalline structure growing in the presence of an electrical field (e.g. tin whiskers have been known to fuck million dollar satellites in orbit), but sometimes there's picrel and damned if I know.
>>
>>2147776
Hmm that is very interesting but I am not fully convinced yet. I am going to see if I can get anything down there to take a closer look. Maybe I am worrying over nothing but wanna make sure I don't have crap that may end up getting dislodged and damage something internally
>>
>>2147782
Always a good plan. Might just be a tail of a stripped thread, those can be tough and obnoxious. Do you have an inspection mirror? A cheap investment to help you see what's up where.

Whatever it is, it doesn't look like it belongs.
>>
Any idea how to get this bastard off? No videos have a similar setup like this all I got is an impact on that center keyway and a 12 point wrench for the nut. Have it soaking in wd40 right now
>>
File: 20210624_125543.jpg (1.63 MB, 2268x3024)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB JPG
>>2148339
once again image for the post.
>>
>>2148339
Impact on the nut is the (only) easy way, and the only way you can get away with holding the pulley with the other hand.

Otherwise, you'll need to secure the alternator (bolt it to the workbench), get the right size high grade torx driver on a 2' breaker bar, and the right size open end on the nut slipped into a 2' pipe, and twist to break loose (check manual, make sure it's not reverse thread).

Good luck.
>>
>>2148366
Oh damn I hope I didnt torque it too bad if it is I'll check that now. Thanks I got some updates so I am going to post those and then see about that alternator.
>>
I got an update. I recorded some footage of that wire but my dad noticed something higher in the footage. There seems to be what he thinks is weld marks in the area around there. I recorded a bit more I'll see if I can find a good shot.
>>
File: weld.png (655 KB, 612x970)
655 KB
655 KB PNG
Not sure what do you guys think?
>>
File: wire'.png (2.17 MB, 1920x986)
2.17 MB
2.17 MB PNG
And here is that wire I am trying to figure out it is in a crappy spot to take a good photo.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.