[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 68 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: PXL_20210605_091130831.jpg (1.67 MB, 2334x1750)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
Nearly summer in the northern hemisphere edition

---

Previous thread --> >>2108389

In /rcg/ we discuss anything & everything radio controlled - multirotors, fixed wing, cars, rovers, helis, boats, submarines, battlebots, lawnmowers, etc.

>How do I get started with racing drones?

https://oscarliang.com/build-racing-drone-fpv-quadcopter/

>What about planes?

https://www.flitetest.com/

>What about aerial photography, is DIY viable?

If you want a practical flying camera platform, DJI is the sensible option. If you want a fun DIY project instead & aren't too concerned about the practicalities, then by all means DIY something.

>I want a dirt cheap drone to fly around my yard/garden

Syma X5C

>I want a dirt cheap drone to fly inside my house

Eachine E010/Hubsan X4

>What are some good YouTube channels for learning or fun?

Painless360 - https://www.youtube.com/user/Painless360
Flite Test - https://www.youtube.com/user/flitetest
Peter Sripol - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7yF9tV4xWEMZkel7q8La_w
bonafidepirate - https://www.youtube.com/c/bonafidepirate
ArxangelRC - https://www.youtube.com/user/Arxangelxr
RagTheNutsOff - https://www.youtube.com/user/moggiex
>>
inb4 first time fixed wing flyers using gyro and autopilot complaining
>>
>>2132520
I used to work developing autopilot systems for copters and planes, so I have some background (seems like ages ago), I'm curious about how things have improved in the last few years and wanted to get back into it as a hobby using one of these as a baseline.
>>
>F765-WING will be discontinued due to STM32F765VIT6 shortage
>PANICS
>>
>>2132539
Honestly, just start with the bog standard F405-STD. It will run Betaflight, iNav & Ardupilot. It will do racing quads, big Arducopter hexacopters, it has a barometer for Arduplane, it has a micro SD slot for logging. It's just a great all round, solid, no nonsense FC that can be applied to all sorts of situations. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised what it will do for the money. You can also pair it with one of Matek's matching PDB boards for a really neat power wiring setup.

>>2132525
Complaining about what?
>>
Only fags and spergs fly drones. Grow up.
>>
>>2132674
>t. rc car guy
>>
>>2132519
What would be the best FPV setup under 200$ or 100$ if possible.
>>
>>2132691
What do you have already?
>>
>>2132574
>Honestly, just start with the bog standard F405-STD
Yeah, I ended up doing that, if I find myself missing some features down the line and I can't integrate them myself, I'll get whatever fits me by then.
>>
>>2132677
Very easy actually, just please play something funny like Ducktales song
>>
>>2132691
Watching videos on YT
>>
>>2132674
Radio control is for retards, real men only do freeflight hand launch.
>>
File: 1607606198559.jpg (35 KB, 389x445)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>2132519
i cant get my qx7 to connect to my e010...
>>
>>2133195
Did you try using "bind_rx" in the CLI, activate bind on Tx, "save" in CLI, deactivate bind on TX while FC is rebooting?
>>
File deleted.
>>2132519
Does the Syma X5C controller use the bayang protocol? Does that mean I could use it with other drones and tiny whoops? I lost my Syma in a flyaway with an $8 joint taped to it last summer, wondering if I can use the controller with a Beta 65s lite or some other Bayang-protocol $30 whoop.
>>
>>2133195
Are you using the regular banggood multiprotocol module?

>>2133280
The E010 doesn't run Betaflight...
>>
>>2133387
Blue board dumbfuck
>>
>>2133195
You do have the multiprotocol module set up, right?
>>
>>2132691
liftoff + xbox controllor
>>
>>2133415
imagine browsing 4chan at work on a Sunday
>>
>>2132519
I'm trying to get back into this stuff, and I'm surprised the Syma X5C is still the recommended dirt cheap option. It really is a nice little quad.
>>
>>2134553
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There isn't really much to improve on it.
>>
What's something small, fast, and lightweight that i can use with 850mah 4s lipos that I have?
>>
File: DSC05979.jpg (1.18 MB, 2560x1707)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
Latest carbon design arrived, always a good feeling.

>>2135305
4-5" ultralight toothpick, if you can find suitable kv motors in that sort of size?
>>
Been happy with my King Motor 1000 RC 1/5 scale truck.. needs rear tires and other spare parts. easy ordering and stuff is coming, but the tires on backorder/waiting list, making the truck useless...
anyone have issues with King? any other company have tires that would work?
pic sorta related
>>
>>2135382
How much in total for that package?
>>
File: PXL_20210608_180040581.jpg (908 KB, 2337x1753)
908 KB
908 KB JPG
>>2135420
$87 (including $10 shipping). For scale, the main plates are 240mm long, it's for another ~10" build.
>>
>>2135487
I thought it would be much more expensive, at least twice that much.
>>
File: PXL_20210608_104208453_2.jpg (757 KB, 2337x1753)
757 KB
757 KB JPG
>>2135887
I think if you were to order something like this from a 'user friendly' online service like Armattan Productions, it probably would cost twice as much. But I order direct from a factory in China by just sending them an email.

There's loads of ads on AliExpress, made-in-china, even Instagram, for factories offering this sort of service. You just send them a message to start discussing what you want & what the price will be.

I even got a free cat in this order :3
>>
>>2135912
desu I think it's really cool that they do one-offs.

>>2135887
Also don't be afraid to shop around and use connections. I needed some metal discs for a reseach project last year. Got multiple quotes with about a 30% difference, then the professor told me to contact an ex-student at a firm the university sometimes does some free testing for and I ended up with a price that was less than half of the highest offer I got by asking for qutoes.
>>
>>2135913
>desu I think it's really cool that they do one-offs.

I imagine that with automated lay-up software it may even be beneficial for them to do some small one-off jobs like mine, to use up bits of sheets that might otherwise go to scrap?
>>
If I wanted to build a dedicated long range cruiser, would I be better off with something bigger or smaller than a 5"?
>>
>>2136231
Do whatever you want, but a lot of people are going with 7" quads for long range. Personally, I think a wing is better suited to this kind of flying, but that's just preference.
>>
>>2136658
7" quads are a pain in the dick to tune aren't they?
>>
should i set my crossfire to 868 or 915?
>>
>>2136678
Depends what country you live in. US (& I think AUS) uses 915MHz, EU uses 868MHz. I don't know about Asia.
>>
>>2136231
Long range quads are a bit of a meme IMO. As >>2136658
hints at, quads aren't really designed for efficiently covering large distances. This is why when you watch Jordan Temkin's mountain diving videos, he's actually just flying a regular 5" setup - instead of flying for 5 minutes across boring open terrain before reaching the spot he actually wants to film, he just drives/hikes closer to the spot so his flights are only 1-2km.

>>2136659
This used to be the case back in ~2018, but these days they generally fly well enough for most people on stock settings.
>>
File: DSC06004.jpg (1.26 MB, 2560x1707)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
RCExplorer vibes intensifying. Just mocking up with the old carbon arms to work out what length I want to cut a new set of aluminium arms.
>>
>>2132519
What is that plane?
>>
>>2136877
ZOHD Drift.
>>
>>2132691
Jumper T-Lite, cheapo box goggles and a drone of your choice. That or just get an Eachine E013.
>>
File: image.jpg (227 KB, 1024x1024)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
I'm thinking about making a pic related, I've got no real worries about the structural side. Gonna be making the structural parts from carbon or glass fibre etc. but what about the electronics?
What sort of a control board do I need that can be programmed to change between "drone" mode and "airplane" mode at the flip of a switch on the controller? And what about autonomous flight, I'm aware of the process for making a simple autonomous airplane but could the ordinary methods be used for this thing too? Making it land and take off on its own etc.
>>
>>2137478
https://ardupilot.org/plane/index.html
>>
>>2137482
Ah shit that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.
Thanks.
>>
>>2136869
fuckin hell mate herelinks are like a grand a pop
is this a hobby or do ya do it for work?
>>
>>2137478
got one of these with a 3.5m wingspan its pretty neat. screams like a banshee when it takes off and the quad props look like sidewinder missiles when it comes at ya.
>>
>>2137503
That's just the Here2 GPS, I don't have Herelink.
>>
>>2137504
Pics please!
>>
>>2137478
>more 2 blade prop shit
Do you people hate aesthetics or what?
>>
>>2137827
Generally people building something like that are more concerned with performance than aesthetics. I know that might be hard for your childish mind to comprehend.
>>
>>2137827
Wait til you see an Everil prop..
>>
>>2137827
>he doesn't know that 2 blade is the most effective while balanced
>he doesn't know about single blade
>>
new to the hobby
holy shit i hate all the connectors, xt30, xt60, battery balancers, 3.5 dc, 5dc, tx, rx, uart
wish it was all usb c apart from the power
>>
>>2137873
single blade might be most effective, but they need a counterweight for balance which makes them shit
next one would be 2.7 blades, but well you know. 0.7 of a blade, you see...
in the end the compromise is 3 blades for being the most efficient
>>
>>2137973
>0.7 of a blade
Just shrink the other blades to the size of the 0.7 one
>>
>>2137978
if it were that easy you'd see them on wind turbines as those things are primarily built for efficiency
>>
>>2137983
But wind turbines are built like that.
It's a 2.7 blade prop where instead of making a blade smaller they distribute the lost surface area among all 3 blades, so it's nice and balanced.
>>
I don't think Trappy is having a very good year. First Crossfire gets pwned on range and framerate by ExpressLRS, and now the v4 Source One frames are vibrating and delaminating because they're specced out with 4mm thick arms.
>>
>>2138404
Trappy is a whiny bitch who's only contribution to the RC community was making the rest of us look bad. I say fuck him.
>>
>>2138516
Glad I'm not the only one here who can't stand him.
>>
File: DSC06019.jpg (1.06 MB, 2560x1707)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
In hindsight, keeping the overall length the same as my quad frame but while shifting the front arms/FC back to maintain equal length for the arms, was probably a bit short-sighted - the front is more of an unsupported overhand than I'd anticipated. Probably reduce it by at least one 30.5 stack length for a v2.
>>
File: ExpressLRS.png (27 KB, 781x317)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>>2138404
Fuck, this ExpressLRS sure looks promising...
https://oscarliang.com/expresslrs/
>>
File: mindblown[1].gif (494 KB, 200x200)
494 KB
494 KB GIF
>>2138569
>>
I bought a 5 inch Apex frame like two years ago then lost my job, thinking about building it up now. It would be my first drone what are the flight times these days? More than 5 minutes now? Things are probably much cheaper now right? DJI affordable now?
>>
>>2138705
Ive been getting 6-7 minutes cruising/freestyle on my 5 inch lately.
Prices are actually up right now due to an international chip shortage.
>DJI affordable
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>2138705
Flight times haven't changed, there's been no revolutionary advances in battery tech. You're still going to get <2 minutes if you really abuse it, 8-10 minutes if you strap on a bigger than normal battery & take it slow.
>>
>>2138673
Those figures are really just what you'd expect for any protocol operating at those power levels on those frequencies.
>>
>>2138736
Not that guy but what about aircraft? I want something that could do ~30 minutes of flight time, is that possible?
It doesn't have to be fast or pretty, it just has to stay in the air for that long with a small camera as payload.
>>
>>2138764
Fixed wing (planes) are completely different to multirotors. Achieving 45-60 minutes with a plane is utterly trivial. However you have to remember that they fly completely differently - you can't hover in one place with a plane, you can't take off/land vertically from a small area, etc. Obviously you can build VTOL 'quadplanes's etc. but I'm trying to generalise here.
>>
I don't own a drone, but I have a Turnigy Evolution. I was trying to use it for the simulation game Liftoff. It is really hard to control the game. At first I thought I was just bad at using the controls, but now I think something is just wrong. Any suggestions?
>>
>>2138764
The DJI drone I saw at Costco today has a flight time of 30 minutes for $430. I know that’s not a racing drone but damn why aren’t we even close?
>>
>>2139001
We are pretty close to that actually, with stuff that you would use like a DJI. There are actually some maximum efficiency long range cruisers that can get I think its like 55 minutes.
>>
I can't wait to get my Fatsharks so I can get rid of my shitty box goggles.

Have any anons tried the Shark Byte HD fpv system? I'm planning to eventually get it but I don't have the money right now. Everyone says it's either really good or really bad. Thoughts?
>>
>>2139007
Its better than analog but nowhere near DJI, yet.
>>
>>2139012
Have you used it or are you just going off what Youtubers say?
>>
>>2139001
The original post that was responding to was talking about a regular 5" freestyle quad (Apex). Of course you can DIY something like the DaveC Micro Long Range which will fly in a similar fashion & for a similar length of time to a DJI Mini 2, but that's a completely different thing to a 5" freesytle quad.
>>
>>2138862
>Any suggestions?
1.) don't be shit
2.) git gud
>>
>>2139007
>I'm planning to eventually get it but I don't have the money right now.
I'm gonna get it when they release some nicely integrated goggles rather than the current frankenstein thing
>>
>>2139012
>better than analog
I prefer analog, simply because in strong interference I can still make out shit to avoid and which way to go.
>>
>>2138862
>>2139175
I think there is something wrong with the controller/receiver. I don't know how to troubleshoot without a real drone.
>>
>>2139378
You just suck at controlling the drone. Drones are hard to fly at first. You have to practice for a while. I just started last week and i thought there was something wrong with my controller too.
>>
>>2139378
Whats it doing that you think something is wrong?
>>
>>2139399
Should have started with a toy drone first.
>>
>>2139432
No you just download a flight sim.
>>
Why can't this stuff be more popular? It's so awesome. If your average person got a chance to experience it, then they'd be hooked.
>>
>>2139636
Your average person is too dumb to make it through the firmware-software-serial port configuration hell and come out the other side. It's still like the internet in the 90's; there is a minimum IQ required (and that's probably a good thing).
>>
>>2139962
This is exactly what the DJI FPV quad does. It makes it easy enough for pretty much anybody to do, but also retains some of the DJI geofencing stuff to try to prevent the worst of people flying in dumb places.
>>
>>2139971
With the goggles/controller the dji drone can be had for the reasonable price of 1300 dollars. Which basically makes this a toy for people who are well off. If you're already into FPV and have a DJI headset then why would you ever buy the DJI drone. It's a beginner drone that costs a ton of money.
>>
>>2139979
Yeah, for the $740 that the DJI FPV drone costs, you could buy 3-4 decent analog drones, or a couple of digital drones, plus pay much, much less for replacement parts after you crash the shit out of them while actually having fun. The DJI drone just seems like having sex with an expensive (yet slightly weird looking in an almost hot way) whore while wearing an extra thick condom.
>>
>>2139982
This is the case with everything though - accessibility costs money, especially fairly complex things which require more than just a precursory understanding gleaned from watching a 3 minute YouTube video.
>>
>>2139994
The good thing about the drone hobby is that the learning and cost curves are very gentle, you can start with something really cheap and easy to fly; some 15$ toy drone you can fly, crash and fly again, or even a full all-in-one FPV one, like the E013, if you dig it you can then get a cheap Jumper multiprotocol radio you can use your existing drone with, then a cheap small programmable 3D drone...
>>
>>2140005
Absolutely, but for every person who reads that sort of solid advice, there is another who unfortunately watches a clickbait YouTube video ($99 RACING DRONE!!!) & ends up having a really bad time when they discover a week later that they can't get their 5" quad built because they've literally never soldered anything before in their life.
>>
Is www.myrcmart.com legit?
I ordered some stuff and it's been stuck at "processing" for 9 days...
>>
>>2138862
My experience with Liftoff was pretty bad. Even after 5+ hours I could barely control the drone in game. I bought a tinywhoop anyways and was flying it pretty well within 5 minutes. Sims are overrated.
>>
>>2140181
Most people fly Whoops in angle/self-level mode, but use sims to learn how to fly rate/acro mode.
>>
>>2140009
Most youtube videos recommend buying a Tinyhawk or some other little quad. I've never seen a video where someone recommended a noob to build a quad.
>>
I know it's pretty niche but does anyone have experience with those Arkmodel submarines,
Are they worthy entry-level subs?
>>
>>2140410
The best entry level sub is a club or maybe a turkey. Afterwards go for an Italian or something with roastbeef.
>>
>>2140485
An Italian is really an entry level sub, but I agree that roast beef is not for beginners.
>>
File: chinatext.png (51 KB, 749x871)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
Accidentally bought a 50a ESC for my a 7 inch build. Can a 50a handle these motors?
>>
>>2139432
>>2139457
I actually have a toy drone and can fly it good. So that's one of the reasons I'm thinking my Turnigy is bad.
>>
>>2140201
Well it is easy to switch back and forth, so I've tried both in Liftoff.
>>
Has anyone ever had a lipo battery explode on them? I'm kind of paranoid that one will explode while I'm sleeping. Not that I charge them while I'm asleep.
>>
>>2140594
I charge mine while I sleep, Ive accidentally shorted balance and XT60 leads before, Ive charged my batteries hot and freezing, Ive even just last week witnessed a friend charge a battery and could actually see it puffing up as it got too hot to touch. He yanked it off the charger and threw it into the lot infront of his house, nothing happened.

Im not gonna tell you to get careless, lipos going up in smoke is fairly common. Thing is it usually doesnt happen spontaneously. You have to puncture a cell, overcharge it, charge it at too high C rating, or something similar to actually set one off.
>>
>>2140539
Yes, easily.

>>2140594
Lipos only explode if mistreated. They don't just spontaneously catch fire for no reason.
>>
>>2138569
peep the shot glass lmao
>>
>>2140671
Ironically I use it for isopropyl alcohol when washing solder flux.

>>2140554
LiftOff etc. will show you the channels from your radio in the setup, so you can tell if there's actually anything wrong with it.
>>
>>2140697
>Ironically I use it for isopropyl alcohol when washing solder flux.
Sounds stiff. No chaser?
>>
>>2140262
It's safer dealing with commodities.
>>
>>2139962
Even working with stock configs, its pretty frustrating. Guess I’m a brainlet.
>>
>>2140697
Don't mix it up! :)

>>2140731
It's not even that much safer, as in the end they have the same features than a DIY drone and only a bit of tuning on top of that.
If anything I'd say that it's much safer going the "first toy, then hobby" route...
>>
>>2132519
Anyone use receivers that use the 2 meter band before. I want to mix my ham hobby with my RC plane hobby. Seems kind of cool but sketchy to fly shit so far away from you.
>>
>>2141459
yeah
>>
>>2141473
Where do I buy them…
>>
>>2141474
hobbytown
>>
>>2141459
You can do 30-40km on 900MHz, why would you bother using the 2 meter band & its associated giant antennas?
>>
Guys, it might be time to get out of FPV.
https://youtu.be/yx1rWtSsApE
>>
>>2141546
>Rotor Riot in title

Hard pass.
>>
>>2141550
He buzzes a homeless guy twice, crashes next to him the second time, and then proceeds to nearly have a battery fire. To top it all off, he still has the gall to beg his viewers to join his patreon so that they can support these activities. Unbelievable lack of self awareness!
>>
Are there any youtube FPV channels that aren't complete shills? Every other video I watch might as well be QVC.
>>
>>2132685
Probably even a motel carpet racer.
>>
>>2141559
A good 10-20% of every video is just repeating "like and subscribe" over and over again too. JewTube was a mistake.
>>
>>2141566
YouTube itself isn't the problem, it's nobodies thinking they can be something on YouTube that's the problem.
>>
>>2141573
No it's nobodies that think they should be able to make a living on their videos. Then they get mad because they don't make enough money.
>>
>>2141585
Yeah, that's what I meant.
>>
>>2141573
YouTube being a politically motivated, AI controlled evil force is an issue as well.
>>
>>2141559
>>2141566
Just get SponsorBlock.
>>
>>2141544
Better penetration through trees
>>
>>2141551
Mostly agreed but I have to admit it was based when they build a giant rescue quad with a retractable arm and downward facing cameras that can retrieve stranded drones in inaccessible areas
>>
>>2140594
Yeah. Accidentally had a 3s plugged in and my charger was set to 4s. Posted pictures here of the blackened crater and was teased unmercilessly.
>>
>>2141791
If you're flying through enough tree cover that 1W of 900MHz doesn't suffice, you should probably rethink your flying position rather than reaching for the 2m gear.
>>
>>2141823
Do you still have the pictures? You should post them again.
>>
I just got my Fat Shark Attitude V6 goggles in the mail. I don't get what's so good about these. I guess it's better than box goggles but not by much. I thought these smaller goggles were supposed to be a huge jump over box goggles. It's just 2 little screens instead of one big screen.
>>
>>2141961
>listening to big drone shills on jewtube
>>
>>2141961
If anything, the visual experience of FatSharks is actually worse than most box goggles. I actually ended up moving away from an older pair of FatSharks & now use box goggles instead.

The real benefit of FatSharks is size & weight.
>>
File: mel.gif (789 KB, 500x328)
789 KB
789 KB GIF
>>2141961
>not going digital
>>
>>2142005
I plan on eventually getting Shark Byte but I don't want to fork out 600 dollars for DJI goggles.
>>
>>2141823
You have a shit charger then. My basic cheap ass Hobbyking charger checks the cell count before starting
>>
Recommend me a good analog drone for around 150 to 250 dollars.
>>
Are there any existing 3D STL designs for a nice slower flyer easier to control, good glide ratio for practice flying? One designed to carry a gopro hero 8. Larger wing span is fine, am driving. So I guess rear prop driven.

Haven’t flown in a long time and figure I should have an easy to fly thingy before going back to my zohd.

Also want friend to fly it too.
>>
Also If all up weight on a plane is 500g. What maximum thrust is ideal? For long wing glider? For delta wing?
>>
Is there any reason to update OptenTX? My Frsky QX7 has a 2019 version on it.
>>
>>2142230
Take a look at Flite Tests free designs. Many of them are specifically designed for first-time builders/flyers & as long as you have a source of foamboard you're good to go.
>>
>>2142405
Yes, there have probably been many bug fixes/stability improvements since 2019. You may not have run into any problems yet, but it's an easy upgrade for peace of mind.
>>
File: 1619885290697.jpg (70 KB, 413x319)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
I want to get into fixed wing fpv and bought a zohd dart250 around 2 months ago.
Now the only thing that's missing is the transmitter and banggood just changed the order status back to processing
After 2 months of wait
I just want to fly
>>
>>2142456
Good now buy a drone.
>>
>>2142456
Just hit up the local forums and buy a used Hitec Aurora or a Futaba T10, you'll be better off in the long run, especially with fixed wings.
The OpenTX is a bitch to set up properly for some more complicated planes where you have to mix for different modes or just having an aileron differential
I had all of them, Turnigy 9X, FrSky, ended up with Hitec (and sold my Futaba FF9 with rampac), setting up my gliders is a breeze and setting up flight conditions for the quads is easy as well.
>>
>>2142474
REALLY bad advice here, recommending Futaba of all things, what the fuck man?
>>
>>2142477
Having quite some years of experience in RC with both fixed wings and helis, later multicopters.
OpenTX is inherently shit for fixed wings. Have you tried setting up different butterfly mixing with thermal settings on OpenTX? Takes the whole day to finally dial it in while on Futaba and Hitec you have the option right there in the menu. It will also set it up for you according to your wing settings and that is on the ages old FF9.
The RC world is not just about the newest "drones", zoomer
>>
>>2142474
I bought a jumper t lite 4in1 because I'm too retarded to understand all the different protocols. So I was hoping it'll just work with whatever I put into my plane.
>>
>>2142479
>yes, goy, invest into the futaba ecosystem, you'll find it very convenient, all the boomers use it, you don't want to be less! what? prices? no, no, don't look at those, receivers are worth that much and more, of course, cutting edge technology from 2010!
>>
>recommending Futaba, Hitec in 2021

Fuck me, I didn't know the boomers from the 'model flying club' knew how to use the Internet.
>>
>>2142484
What's the matter Chang? Did your shill get exposed?
I bet you don't want the guys to know you can put modules into the T10 and FF9, just like I did. You can also buy multiprotocol receivers for the Hitec and Futaba like the FrSky Delta8 and various others.
>>
>>2142493
I bet the fixed wing part eluded your attention because you don't know what it is.
>>
>>2142474
you're a fucking dinosaur
>>
>>2142496
I've been flying fixed wing on OpenTX for years.
>>
>>2142479
>Have you tried setting up different butterfly mixing with thermal settings on OpenTX? Takes the whole day to finally dial it in
You may be retarded
>>
>>2142536
And none of that was in competitions
>>
>>2142552
>I need to adjust my flaps for 1.5° on one side and take back from the thermal settings because it is too windy
>lets dive into the openshit programming and fuck everything up in relation so lets adjust those as well
>and it goes on and on and on
>instead of setting two simple settings in the mixing menu
And I'm the retarded...
>>
>>2142633
>>2142641
You are the absolute epitome of the 'bitter old model flying club boomer', who hates progress on principle and can't stand that things have moved on, allowing newcomers to 'your hobby' to enjoy it with far less investment of time, effort and money.

We get it, you and retiree buddies love your overpriced, stagnant, decades old tech. But for fuck's sake don't try to push that crap on newcomers.
>>
I kind of want to try fixed wing, bros. I have a bunch of quads but something about the smooth glide is calling out to me.
>>
>>2142707
I find it quite relaxing, just make sure to not listen to retards like >>2142474
>>
>>2142718
You sound like the dumb kids back in school saying things like "reading is for the stupid"
You must have some serious self esteem issues if you feel threatened so much by some more experienced "boomer" who is actually just a few years older than you are (unless you are under 18 in which case just fuck off)
>>
File: DSC06051.jpg (1.03 MB, 2560x1707)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
Made some decent progress today. Stuck trying to decide how/where to mount antennas though.

>>2142784
The usual problem with that sort of 'boomer' is that their experience only goes as far as 2003. Visiting my local flying club is like stepping back in time & it's not even a case of 'the old ways are better' - so much of it is just making their lives objectively worse.
>>
>>2142809
What antennas are you using?
>>
Not sure who is on what side here but I'd like to chime in and say OpenTX is indeed cancerous.
>>
>>2142456
How about an es915tx and rx
>>
>>2142837
Explain
>>
>>2142477
The virgin futaba vs the chad yotsuba
>>
>>2142809
I'm seriously asking, how much experience do you have in F5J and especially F3J competition flying?
When you get a $1000+ (and more like $2000-2500 today) model that has the potential to kill in one way or another, you will definitely think about what system you are trusting your full control. And I mean full control, some minor glitch means going out of control and these things do not bounce back like your average foam flyer, they will pierce a man without any major loss of energy. Or mince up in the case of a motored plane, anything above 2m wingspan is fucking lethal.
There is a very, very good reason why the "old boomers" at your local club behave like they do and huff and puff over your cheap chinkshit radios. I mean there were deaths during pulling up a fucking glider, in my country there is no public RC events held since 2006 when a scale model turned a couple into pink mist right in front of their child. Cause: radio interference. It was on the old analog 40Hz but it shows how much you need to trust a system, and you buy the best not because it is expensive and you want to show off, it's because you don't want to hurt innocent bystanders. Not losing a model is the icing on the cake.
There is a good reason why Spektrum and DSM/DSM2 systems were looked down upon, those were known to brown out from a slight extra load on a servo.
You buy the better system to trust the clean and strong signal and resilient RX, you buy the good quality servos so they don't burn out your entire power supply, you buy the good ESCs and motors so they don't make your plane into a flying deathtrap from shorting out.
There is a good fucking reason why any seasoned RC modeler will ditch the chinkshit in favor of the good stuff.
>>
>>2142898
>it was on old boomer radio
>>
>>2142898
>>
>>2142898
>in my country there is no public RC events held since 2006 when a scale model turned a couple into pink mist right in front of their child
in my country people are usually smart enough to not do hilariously dangerous things especially with their kids around, not counting forida

really you have to hellishly careless for an accident like that to happen. Being ignorant, jaded, and stubborn doesnt stop carelessness from happening anon.
>>
>>2142898
And yet these same people go apoplectic at the suggestion of installing a flight controller with GPS to safeguard against people getting killed when their turbine model failsafes. Go figure.
>>
>>2142166
Rekon 5
>>
>>2142837
Agreed. It's a pain in the ass.
Example: setting up a low batt alarm. It should have that feature put of the box, instead you have to fuck around with virtual switches and if statements and selecting the correct beep or sfx (for which there is no audio preview)
I get that it's probably powerful but my shitty flysky tx had this working out of the box. And everything else was a lot easier to configure too.
>>
>>2142943
On my Hitec I just push the battery icon and set the alarm. Every setting I would need is there in a conveniant way, don't have to do a whole programming course to set up elevators and flaps with relations, it is right there in the menu.
>>
I wish there was a Luke Smith of RC. Someone who can make based videos instead of jewtube shills like Bardwell
>>
File: LukeSmithxyz.jpg (56 KB, 460x460)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>2143001
forgot pic
>>
Okay I’m gonna order a R9m Lite Pro ans flash expressLRS on it
>>
>>2143030
oof
>>
>>2143001
There's RCmodelreviews/xjet
Bruce and his crew is the most based on the tubes
>>
>>2142898
Holy boomer.
Witnessed.
>>
File: IMG_20210618_072725_596.jpg (92 KB, 1440x959)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>2142824
Just a regular half wave 868MHz dipole & a 433MHz Sander, but the issue is putting them somewhere they won't get in the way of mounting batteries, cameras, droppers, etc.
>>
>>2142809
Are you really going to put the battery on that overhang??
>>
>>2143322
No, of course not. Batteries go on top at the back.
>>
>>2143322
Overhang is for the camera/gimbal
>>
>>2143149
ExpressLRS is the best 900mhz system
>>
>>2143350
no it's not old man
>>
>>2143334
>>2143344
Oh, I see now, missed the standoffs on >>2143313
>>
>>2143350
Depends upon your criteria for 'best'. It certainly looks promising, but it's still a very nascent system.
>>
>>2143352
I'm all for making fun of the resident retiree, but ELRS is the exact opposite of what an old man would use.
>>
>>2143354
Well I would have bought crossfire nano if they had a build for flashing elrs to that.
>>
>>2143355
Yeah what every queer. I bet you're using that 900mhz to watch boys.
>>
>>2143355
Show us your AARP card, Boomer.
>>
>>2143367
Literally wat. I'm saying that ELRS is about the most modern/bleeding edge platform there is, so there's no way the backwards boomers would touch it.
>>
>>2143373
Oh, nevermind. We need IDs on this board like /biz needs flags.
>>
ELRS is the Linux of RC Systems. Just use Crossfire you fucking dorks.
>>
File: DSC06068.jpg (910 KB, 2560x1707)
910 KB
910 KB JPG
Done with the hardware now I think, just the config to do tomorrow.
>>
>>2132519
You need a Drone license to fly them in UK
>>
>>2143628
Do you need a license to fly fpv? I'm moving to the UK soon I can't live without my drones.
>>
>>2143628
>>2143642
No. Even before they relaxed the rules at the end of 2020 you still didn't need a license for anything but commercial work.
>>
File: Y7nD10_1_400x400.jpg (31 KB, 400x400)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>2143648
Good to hear mate now i can fly me quad copt up da ol ben! Hahaha nah mate just takin da piss.
>>
>>2143558
I hate Linux but ELRS performs better than Crossfire.
>>
>>2143688
Does it bind on the first try every time, and auto update the RX OTA from the TX module? Crossfire just works, even a 4channel user can't screw it up.
>>
>>2143648
You are supposed to take an online test and pay something like £9 a year to get an "operator ID" which you are supposed to label any drone you fly over 250g or under 250g with a recorfing camera.
>>
>>2143798
It's a multiple choice test a 10 year old could pass in <5 minutes, plus £9 a year for registration. If that's enough to put you off, I really don't know what to say.
>>
>>2143729
It just werks. Why bother /diy/ just buy a Mavic.

And both of those are yes. You select crossfire protocol, once you bind it, it’s bound. If the receiver has wifi (even the diy ones do) it does ota updates.
>>
File: Capture.png (157 KB, 986x393)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
Do I really have to pay one hundred and five dollars for a soldering iron?
>>
>>2143867
For a Hakko(TM), yes.
>>
>>2143867
>>2143871
It is also the best you can get
t. worked with a lot of soldering irons
>>
Is a 2s 60amp esc overkill for an 18in boat?
>>
>>2143867
No, I use a $10 iron that works fine. Just don’t be shit at soldering.
>>
>>2143887
How much current does your boat draw?
>>
>>2143913
IDK
I'm having to put in new everything, since I have an empty hull after using it for parts for 2 other identical boats
Stock setup is a combined brushed ESC and receiver, 540 motor (heard it was 21 turns) and a 7.2v 1500mah lipo.

Wanted to go brushless and 60 amp ESCs seem like a really common paring for the brushless motors that would be a direct fit where the 540 brushed was.
>>
>>2143910
I've found over the years that half the reason I was so shit is I was using cheap equipment and not buying proper supplies. Though yes the other half is me just needing more skill.
>>
>>2141459
Are there amateur frequencies that work underwater, maybe down to a meter, if I wanted to use radio to control a model submarine? I'm assuming it would need to be some kind of low frequency.
>>
>>2143945
VLF? There's some testing on 2.4 and 900mhz too - I assume that is with the transmitter held underwater so it doesn't bounce off the air/water interface.

There's some papers on that kind of stuff
>>
>>2143932
I just avoid using lead free solder and I stopped having issues
>>
>>2143922
60A sounds fine. Is the esc shit? Does it support 3s?
>>
>>2143922
You might want to put a copper tube in U shape over the heatsink with heatpaste and shrinwrap it back, normal ESCs rely on a constant fresh airsteam to keep cool, in a boat there is none, same for the motor if it is not an outrunner. You will have to put in a water line from the stern (usually the rudder has a hole for intake)
>>
I crashed my Tiny Hawk and now it smokes when I plug in the battery... Is it broken?
>>
>>2144191
Most probably yes
>>
>>2143804
Well I'm flying without it but wondering if I should get it. It pisses me off having been flying rc since a kid without any issues.
>>
>>2144260
It's a good idea just for the peace of mind against curtain twitchers calling the police on you as you're minding your own business in an empty park.
>>
File: DSC06105.jpg (1.34 MB, 2560x1707)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
All configured & ready for a maiden - which is probably why it's now started raining.

>>2143867
As somebody who owns that exact setup (which I had to pay substantially more for because >UK), I can tell you that you absolutely do not need to spend that much. One of the numerous 936D clones for ~$40 is more than enough. Expensive tools are nice, but most of the time they're not even remotely necessary.

>>2143945
Peter Sripol (link in OP) did an underwater build that he controlled from above the water, iirc he used 433MHz. Longer the wavelength the better, but 433MHz gear is cheap & easily available.
>>
>>2144191
What part smokes? I fried the camera on mine trying to bind it up when I first got it, but it works fine now with a new camera.
>>
Is there a monitor or literally any cheap way to view DJI FPV video feed? I build and sell quads just as a side thing to do and I have a couple requests for DJI and I'm apprehensive about taking them when I have no way to test the video before handing the quad over.
>>
>>2144353
Weight on takeoff?
>>
>>2144477
2.2kg with two 4000mAh 4S batteries (400g each). The design is too heavy to be practical with this size motor/prop, but then I didn't build it for practicality.

>>2144475
No, unfortunately. Best thing you can do is look out for a damaged set of goggles you can buy cheap(er).
>>
>>2142933
Humpf, you damn whipper snappers and your satelite navigation. Back in my day it was either ME or JESUS who was allowed to use MY controller whenever shit hit the fan.
>>
>>2143910
I have some $20 chinkshit soldering station and its indefinately better than some generic soldering iron that can’t even hold a constant temperature.
>>
>>2144598
I don’t even have a station, just a 15w iron. I had a AA powered one too which worked fine.
>>
Is Rapid Fire worth it? I have the Fat Shark OLED receiver and I want to know if Rapid Fire will give me better penetration. Youtubers say the OLED receiver is shit but no one compares it to a premium option.
>>
>>2144799
Your antennas will probably have a bigger effect on penetration than the module, I would imagine.
>>
>>2144862
>buys expensive module
>continues to end up with their head (and thus patch antenna) pointed down at their feet

I love seeing this.
>>
>>2144862
>>2144878
Recommend me some good antennas. Right now I'm using a patch antenna that came with my fatsharks and an omni from my eachine 800d.
>>
File: PXL_20210615_135058727.jpg (681 KB, 2571x1928)
681 KB
681 KB JPG
>>2144882
If you're not actually flying at any sort of range, then two decent omnis mounted in different orientations is the best option. I like the Lumenier ones because they're just so small I can leave them on my goggles & not have to worry about breaking them when I throw them in my bag.

For longer range I swap one omni out for a TrueRC crosshair/X-AIR, which is the first directional antenna I've used that actually makes a difference. All of the cheap little PCB patch antennas I used previously were no better than just leaving the second omni on.

Decent brands are TrueRC, VAS, Lumenier for AXIIs, literally any brand is fine for Pagodas, Foxeer is a good budget option for their lollipops.
>>
File: PXL_20210508_054438510.jpg (3.31 MB, 4032x3024)
3.31 MB
3.31 MB JPG
>>2144882
Foxeer lollipop or Lumenier Axii 2 for Omni, paired with a patch antenna as big as you are comfortable wearing. Also keep in mind that more dB of gain means a more narrow beam width, which will be a different shape depending on what kind of antenna it is. Your head can block some signal too, so try to keep your head where the signal is weak (along axis of Omni and dipole antennas, and on a plane out the sides of a patch antenna).
I just run a 2" omni with a 90 degree elbow on the top SMA, and a patch on the bottom with a 30 degree elbow rotated so the patch points about 15-20 degrees up, but also 15-20 degrees to the right so I can get some unobstructed signal out the back.
Pic related is another option, each omni covers the others dead spot.
>>
>>2144490
Oh, it felt like it, but with 3 axis hexas I always feel like they won't take off. Will you try beefier motors/props later?
>>
>>2144894
Also note that any decent normal patch (circular polarized) will have 90° to 60° angle of beam, so direct it the longer axis of your flight while the omni will allow you to go wide and behind you
I use the Menace Pico and the original Fatshark omni, this gives a decent amount of distance between the two antennas.
>>
>>2144917
Who knows, maybe one day. I have less money to spend on this stuff now because of a forced job change due to COVID, so it will probably stay like this for a good while.
>>
>>2144887
>All of the cheap little PCB patch antennas I used previously were no better than just leaving the second omni on.
Fucking this, I cannot tell

>>2144921
Welp, I hope the change is for the better.
>>
The main advantage of directionals apart from the range is the reduced multipathing, you get a cleaner signal
>>
File: PXL_20210620_161335265.jpg (1.5 MB, 1928x1927)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
Got trolled hard by Ardupilot today. Apparently there are certain conditions in which the 'landing detection' doesn't work & the copter will think it's still airborne even when it's landed. It then interprets the disarm stick command as an actual yaw command... so promptly shoots up & flips over.

Luckily didn't break anything & I've now discovered you can set it up to (dis)arm on a switch like Betaflight.

>>2144924
>Welp, I hope the change is for the better.

It's certainly not the career move I wanted, but it gives me two years of stability which is really what I needed right now.
>>
>>2142898
>I mean there were deaths during pulling up a fucking glider, in my country there is no public RC events held since 2006 when a scale model turned a couple into pink mist right in front of their child.
what country? details on incident? I googled a bit and could find nothing
>>
>>2142898
>you buy the best not because it is expensive and you want to show off, it's because you don't want to hurt innocent bystanders
If you fly in a place with people that's on you. RC models are very easy to crash, good electronics just save you from electronic failure. Anything can happen, from parts coming loose to sudden gusts of wind pushing your shit around or simple pilot error. Number one rule is that if you're flying you should be prepared to crash, because shit happens. This is why you boomers have RC clubs in the middle of bumfuck nowhere with a nice long airstrip and tons of empty field all around. Like this you make sure the only people around that could get hurt would be you and your fellow pilots, and you're all bunched up in one spot to minimize the chances of a plane coming right at you. Again, if you fly in a public space with people all around that's on you, stop being retarded.
Also flying chinkshit is fine, not everyone wants/can drop hundreds on expensive shit to throw in a small trainer. That's just gatekeeping the hobby.
>>
>>2132519
are KKboards still a thing people use? i recently used one for a vtol project for school.
>>
>>2132519
anyone else feel like flitetest fucking sucks now? It used to be an informative show with the likes of david and such. Now they've turned themselves into this shitty douchetuber channel but it's all middle aged white men with their "lets put wings on x thing lololo" gimmick
>>
>>2145407
No.

>>2145412
I have a feeling they're making a lot more money now than they used to, but I have to agree the content has become pretty basic bitch.
>>
>>2145359
How much do you know about F3J championship flying? I mean the proper FAI rules.
You pull by hand through a pulley, two people side by side. This rule was made because the pulley is tied to the ground by a couple of big long nails, big and pointy nails. You can pull it up by yourself and at a time it was the norm until the nails dislodged and hit a kid in the back with the pointy end. At the height of tension there is about 80kg load on the line with the carbon gliders. Needless to say the nail stabbed the kid to death. It happened in eastern Europe, don't know if Slovakia, Czech Rep or Poland but the champion at the time resigned and never touched models again.
The other thing, the motor plane incident happened in Hungary, in Őcsény. I don't know if there are articles in english but that one was well documented because of the huge normie crowd, cameras, news reporters etc...
>>
>>2145412
It sucked for years. The early Hobbyking infomercial days and the David Windestal episodes were the best. Since then they went biblethumping family friendly "safe" contents and fucking foamboard shit everywhere
>>
>>2145423
you're damn right
>>
>>2145421
someone said they wanted to try fixed wing. You took that and ran with it to boomer extremes. Most people flying RC have zero interest in these competitions.
>>
Can someone enlighten me as to why you would an X2212 motor over an R2306 motor for a wing/plane? (Wing designated motor vs quad drone race motor)

The X motor is like 30g heavier and handles less power and has higher resistance. If there is a bug kV difference you can use a motor throttle limit to overcome that.

The X motor has much higher thrust to power ratio, but that’s because the test data is with bigger biprops while R motor data is with 5x4 props. So that efficiency advantage is just from the prop.

t. 2800kV motor on a wing I just don’t have a current sensor installed to see what it uses at specific speeds.
>>
>>2145412
>>2145423
>>2145437
>>2145485
I can't think of a single RC youtube channel that isn't a shill who wants to do youtube as a job other than man cave hobbies.
>>
>>2145499
xjet and pic related
>>
>>2145485
That is a wonderful effort in reading sonny, but you just left out the main part where I gave advice on getting a nonchink non-OpenTX radio that has all the proper mixing for fixed wing and can be had for cheap used.
Then someone with serious self esteem issues took it as a personal offense and called me a retard and then I explained why it is the exact opposite of retarded.
>>
>>2145497
You don't need the current sensor, just fly it, swap motors, fly again, in a similar pattern and deduct from the flight time and punchyness.
>>
>>2145514
I don’t have an X2212 but I was looking at a new build that I was going to 3D print, maybe a modified eclipson A etc. And wondered if I had overlooked something by using quad race/fpv motors instead.
>>
>>2145510
>buy an obsolete also-made-in-china-but-not-chinkshit radio because if you aren't flying world championship autistic gliders then you aren't REALLY flying fixed wing.

Just because you struggled with one particular firmware, doesn't mean that the other anon should buy something that is more expensive and less supported than the current best budget radios.
>>
>>2145525
Whatever
>>
>>2145503
Xjet uploaded a video yesterday bitching about YouTube making it hard for him to make a living.
>>
>>2145538
Cope
>>
>>2145595
I'm not the guy you responded to, but telling someone to cope is actually the biggest coping strategy of all. Don't bother responding to me, I am uninstalling 4chan(nel) from my computer after this post.
>>
>>2132553
>it's actually being discontinued
fuck off
>>
>>2142898
>>2145510

>potential to kill
>"safety"
>blah blah *bigname radio*
>because they're "safer"

>be a boomer
>no background in electronics
>no background in embedded systems/RF
>no background in embedded code
>"boomer brands are the best, everything else is unreliable and dangerous"
>can't point to any reason why other than "they're tried and tested" according to them
>doesn't understand RF/modulation protocols
>claims protocols that haven't had any real revisions in the past 10 years are somehow better
>despite modern protocols having advanced jamming mitigation, true encryption, and higher sensitivity
>thinking the electronics themselves are the major failure point, not RF link or mechanical components
>probably uses poor construction methods on their planes b/c "I've always done it this way"

Point to one design principal that makes Hitec/Futaba more reliable and "safe" than any offerings supporting openTX.

Then point to one way any openTX offering is inherently prone to failure.

If your response is something along the lines of "they just are" or "boomerBrand (TM) is tried and true whereas we don't know about these others / I saw a failure myself"
Then you're full of shit and have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

AMA pls go
>>
>>2145421
>entire argument is how the cheap transmitters are somehow unsafe and will endanger others
>example given is a nail pulling out of a shitty launch rig and killing someone
>somehow this relates to Chinese radios
>can't understand basic logic to set up an openTX radio
>only understands "push button to do X" setups

Like others mentioned, you might actually be retarded.
>>
>>2145544
And? Jewtube is jewtube, there wouldn’t be anybody defending jewtube
>>
>>2145661
seethe...
>>
File: 1324621177001[1].jpg (85 KB, 600x690)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>2145421
>>
>>2145672
?
>>
>>2145497
It sounds like you're comparing one of the ancient black SunnySky X2212 motors against a modern 2306? Lots of manufacturers still ship models with these obsolete 1st/2nd gen black motors because they're cheap (lots of factories still produce fakes), not because they're actually best suited for the job.

A better comparison would be something like the current generation SunnySky X2212 (>>2145304) which is a completely different motor & will handle larger props (8-10") a lot better than a 2306 even if you try to match rpm with throttle limits/reduced cell count etc.
>>
>>2145694
>Point to one design principal
Quality control
>>
>>2145817
Now compare the number of incidents caused by 'poor quality control' in Chinese radios, to the number of incidents caused by using obsolete air protocols with Hitec/Futaba radios.

I would take a modern cheap FrSky ACCESS radio & a model with a FC+GPS over an ancient expensive Hitec/Futaba radio & a model with no proper failsafe handling any day.
>>
>>2145821
In my own experience, 5.
One FrSky having a shitty soldering on the antenna.
One OrangeRX crapping out mid flight and not coming back on. There was no overvoltage (servos would've died too) no shorting, it just died.
One HobbyKing branded RX crapping out randomly, no visible signs, turned out to have massively reduced range while everything seemed okay.
One other Hobbyking branded RX having reduced range as well on ground test so at least the plane survived
One Turnigy radio having the mainboard crap out midflight, memory failed so lost all models, then just died completely. Battery was not connected the wrong way
All of these were from friends asking to maiden or help in some way with their planes.
Oh, one more, 6th, one other FrSky radio having reduced range but still flyable although gliders always gave RSSI alarms and choppy controls. This was mine and pushed me over to buy a beat up Futaba FF9 then later on the Hitec Aurora I'm still using to this day.
And for those budget minded there are plenty of multiprotocol receivers on the market (OrangeRX, FrSky Delta8 etc...) although I always go with first party on my "big" models
>>
>>2145824
Oh, and with comparison on "big name" brand radios in my local group, and adding the nearby groups as well, there were no radio or receiver related incidents. None up to this point from when I started.
Also note nobody is flying with Spektrum.
>>
>>2145824
>And for those budget minded there are plenty of multiprotocol receivers on the market (OrangeRX, FrSky Delta8 etc...)

This really just emphasizes how out of touch you are.

FrSky D8 is a completely obsolete protocol which has been officially discontinued for years and for good reason - newer protocols are quite simply, objectively, better and safer. Ideally nobody should still be using D8 gear in 2021, but definitely nobody should be recommending others to buy D8 gear in 2021. Iirc Frsky haven't sold any D8 products since ~2016.

And OrangeRX? That's Spektrum, isn't it? Friends don't let friends use Spektrum - the air protocol is garbage and proven to be highly insecure/easily exploited.

I'm happy that you've had such good experiences with your outdated equipment, I'm sorry you've gotten unlucky with QC on newer gear. But please fuck off if you're going to continue telling newbies in these threads to buy Hitec instead of a Radiomaster. Nobody needs their first introduction to the hobby to be struggling with an overpriced antique which they can't find any help for online or with local groups, because the only people who still push this crap are retirees.
>>
>>2145833
Oh and for the record, I've never had any QC issues with any of my FrSky gear, nor have any of my friends who also fly FrSky, so that just goes to show how much our isolated experiences are actually worth in the grand scheme of things.

Incidentally, one of the people I fly with is in his 70s, has flown all his life, but left the local boomer club to join our group specifically because of people like you there who obstinately opposed progress and made the club so hostile to newcomers.
>>
>anon buys some 250 grams ZOHD and asks for a matching cheap radio
>sperg starts giving terrible advice and claiming he somehow has a higher ground than several literal drone engineers because he has been to 40MHz balsa wood tier competitions
>for some reason now we all should buy obsolete Boomer(TM) crap because some retard killed a kid with a nail and some other retard minced a couple in Fuckistan

/rcg/ really can't get any better than this, embrace it.
>>
>>2145839
I'm honestly really curious how boomernon even found 4chan.
>>
>>2145842
In 2004
>>
>>2145412
It's not as good as it used to be, but I still build and fly the planes from the plans they made. I wish they would put out some new plans, though.
>>
>>2145412
The 3-minute-long sponsorship inserts where they just read a fucking script for a completely unrelated product/service that they clearly don't even like are really revealing of their priorities now.
>>
>>2145499
experimental airlines
>>
>>2145817
Quality control is not a design principal.

And newer futabas and Hitec have similar low quantity issues.

OrangeRX/TX/ hobbyking are also not openTX.
Turnigy supports openTX, but only the 9xrPro officially.

>lol look up non existent stats
your argument is literally "in my experience"
you don't know what you're on about.

The chips are the same, and the software is solid. Protocol and RF are the weak links, which the newer protocols solve.

One thing you'd learn quickly if you knew anything about electronics is that, like their data type, digital systems rarely fail in a way that could cause a crash without obvious signs before takeoff; They're usually binary, working or not working.
Everything else is probably your own fault for not doing the preflight you boomers insist be done by the "AMA Site safety faggot" or something like that.

The other non-binary issue is RF, but you did do the range test, right? you know, the one even Futaba says to do?

>One Turnigy radio having the mainboard crap out midflight, memory failed so lost all models, then just died completely. Battery was not connected the wrong way

you either did install it wrong and won't admit, or did a quick and dirty openTX installation.

>One other Hobbyking branded RX having reduced range as well on ground test so at least the plane survived

did you try steps to mitigate RF interference/shitty antenna placement?
even spread spectrum 2.4 can get clogged if lots of dudes are flying

>One OrangeRX crapping out mid flight and not coming back on. There was no overvoltage (servos would've died too) no shorting, it just died.
>One HobbyKing branded RX crapping out randomly, no visible signs, turned out to have massively reduced range while everything seemed okay.

Overcurrent, plus shitty antenna placement. You can do both to boomerBrands too.

>all of these were from friends asking for help maidening

i.e. n00bs. PEBCAKs and ID10T errors are 95% of RC issues.
>>
>>2145972
>Quality control is not a design principal.
OK CHANG
>>
>>2143867
>$100 is a lot for the only real too you need for this hobby

You might not need it but when I got mine soldering became something I enjoyed instead of a miserable, frustrating experience.
>>
>>2145981
You realise that quality control applies to protocol development too, right? That your decades old Futaba/Hitec air protocols are objectively absolute garbage 'quality' compared to modern alternatives that handle self-healing, encryption, spectrum hopping etc. infinitely better?

It doesn't matter if your radio uses ICs hand picked out of millions to ensure the highest quality and tightest tolerances, if the protocol you're actually beaming out of them into the sky is shite.
>>
>>2145902
This nigga is replacing tires. He looks like Mick West's anglo brother. Dude talks like he got a lobotomy.
>>
>>2145981
>>2145991
You guys are both complete fags but this is more posts than /rcg/ has seen in years so I'm not going to tell you to stop
>>
>>2145981
You don't design QC into a product, retard, QC is checking that the end product meets the design.

Still haven't told him anything wrong with the DESIGN.
>>
>>2146004
boomer bro is talking to like 4 anons from what I can tell.
>>
>>2146130
Can confirm, I'm only one of several insufferable cunts contributing to this debate.
>>
>>2146129
this. QC is completely separate from design work.

>>2146130
yeah
>>
File: 1624329016984.jpg (137 KB, 1024x614)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
Alright, which one of you fucking incels made this? I know it was one of you.
>>
>>2146489
?
>>
>>2146498
Direct your attention to the lower left of the image.
>>
>>2146489
Actually, anon, it was you all along.
>>
>>2146504
Saw it, I still don't know what is this crap
>>
>>2146489
>>2146498
>>2146504
>>2146505
>>2146515
This is a YouTube channel with 10 million subscribers. DJI have made FPV pretty normie now.
>>
>>2146536
Funny, I was just thinking about how these enormous goggles need a helmet to keep them secure, got a link to the vid/channel? Or a name I can DMOR with?
>>
>>2146560
It's Demolition Ranch. It was fun content about a decade ago, but he's since massively sold out & just does meme shit that he knows will get basic bitch clicks.
>>
>uses Turnigy radio
>uses OrangeRX
>this is why your FrSky/FlySky/TBS/Jumper/RadioMaster radio is shiiiiiit REEEE
Fucking boomers lmao
>>
>>2145811
Yeah, but even if I look at that, the max power to weight ratio of the motor is still much poorer, and doesn’t appear to more efficient than a 2306 sunnysky. Wondering what am I missing here. They’re also both around the same price too.

There is also the 2308 2000oV, harder to find, I could just go to another brand for a slightly larger fpv quad motor with the same results - saving a fair bit of weight on the motor at one end of the plane which could affect CG design quite a bit.
>>
>>2146578
>"Futaba is more reliable"
>the high end models run windows CE
lmfao
>>
Looking to build my first RC car but not sure what battery to buy.
I saw someone saying that the cheap chink batteries have awful voltage drops under load.
What do I need to look for to avoid that?
>>
>>2146614
Buy some quality 18650 cells and use those. You're not constrained by weight the same way you are in a drone or plane so it's a viable option.
>>
>>2146614
Where are you buying the car from? You just have to get reputable batteries, not no name ones, but that's basically impossible for beginners. Most of the batteries on Hobbyking are ok, but if you're ordering from somewhere else, you can probably get good batteries from the same store.
>>
>>2146579
Stator size & kv essentially dictates the size of prop & the number of cells that a motor will work properly with.

Something like a 2306 2400kv motor is intended for 5" 4S.

Something like a 2308 2000kv motor is intended for 6-7" 4S.

Something like a 2212 1250kv motor is intended for 7-10" 4S.

If you try to fly your plane with an 8" prop on a 2306/2400 & a 4S battery, it's just going to catch fire.

>>2146614
Don't buy batteries from China. Even if they're not crap, the chances that the delivery will get blocked is too high to be worth the risk.
>>
Are there any multiprotocol or FrSky transmitters targeted towards pc use? Dont want to buy a jr tx for a project i might not do. or are there any other ways to control a quad copter from the pc?
>>
>>2146759
should i just buy a atmega and cc2500? I already have cc2531
>>
>>2145421
time for your diaper changing grandpa
>>
>>2146672
>If you try to fly your plane with an 8" prop on a 2306/2400 & a 4S battery, it's just going to catch fire.
That's not how it works.
>>
>>2146839
You will be at substantial risk of burning out either the ESC or the motor. This is how power works.
>>
>>2146868
>You will be at substantial risk of burning out either the ESC or the motor
That's a long way from plane catching fire.
And if that's the issue then don't jam the throttle to full like an idiot. With a bigger prop you can max out the motor's power easily so there's no need to go full.
>>
>>2146877
Somebody who is asking such basic questions about motor/prop choice most definitely should not be expected to be able to govern their throttle use to safe limits when massively over proping a motor like that.
>>
>>2146672
>>2146868

That’s not how it works. Motor output limit will limit yhe max throttle. You do not need to fly it at 100%. Flying a 2400kv motor at 50% is like flying at 1200kv motor at 50%.

Additionally the 2306 can handle /more/ power than the X2212, which means it’s capable of more torque. The motor doesn’t know what prop is on it.

And larger props require LESS torque to fly than smaller props - larger props are more efficient and will use LESS power for the same amount of thrust, meaning LESS torque for the same amount of thrust. Eg we might want 300g of thrust for cruising. An 9x6 biprop will use less power to do that than a 5x4.5x3 etc.

I already fly a wing with a 2305 2800kv on 6” with 4s with this and it works well.

There is no reason you have or need to run 5e motor at 100%.

>>2146883
You’re too much of an idiot to actually read and comprehend. >>2145497
>you can use a motor throttle limit to overcome that
>>
https://youtu.be/L49ioi5PXqY
>>
>>2146969
The person who actually asked the question is a newbie. The correct answer to their question is simply that a 2212 motor is designed for a larger prop than a 2306 motor. The reason their particular comparison seems to go against that rule, as already explained, is simply that the particular 2212 motor they are looking at is an antique.

Stop confusing newbies by nit-picking details when the question asked for a generalisation. Bigger motor, bigger prop. Smaller motor, smaller prop.
>>
>>2146779
>>2146759
Check https://www.multi-module.org/ & https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Multiprotocol-TX-Module/
>>
>>2147128
I asked the question, and the X2212 V3 is not an antique. The 2306 produces more power (thus more torque, throwing the torque argument out the window), and produces less heat.

The “designed for prop size” is a meme and literally not a valid answer. The motor doesn’t care what prop size is on, the only thigh the motor does is spin against a resistive load.

If you go by that a larger prop is more efficient for the same flying speed and load etc, then it follows that a larger prop required /less/ torque than a smaller one as it requires less power (more efficient).

It is not a generalisation, it just escapes your grasp. There does not seem to be a valid reason to pick a “wing” motor in this instance over a quad motor when you adjust for kV differences via a motor output limit.

You then have 30 grams less weight potentially right on the nose, which can impact CG, and wing load. You can produce less heat in the motor and possibly more efficiency due to that.

Unless there is something else being overlooked that the 30g heavier motor has an advantage in then everything is covered and points towards the quad motor performing better.

If you don’t know then stop pretending to know, what you have “answered” is meaningless. Even in the original post I mention using a motor output limit.
>>
>>2147178
It looks like are confusing mechanical power with electrical power and that you don't actually understand how torque works with regards to brushless motors.

Have a read -

https://www.rcbenchmark.com/blogs/articles/brushless-motor-power-and-efficiency-analysis

And nobody is talking about 'wing motors' vs 'multirotor motors', a motor is a motor. I'm talking about larger stator volume/lower kv vs smaller stator volume/higher kv.

By all means fly your wing with a massively overpropped motor with a throttle limit if you think that's best. But please stop trying to 'prove' that it's actually better until you understand the basic science behind your arguments.
>>
>>2147155
I already checked it. But don't know if use case wise its better to build it. Or buy a tX for 50. I only got that the USB port is used for updating
>>
>>2147201
What is your actual project? When you say that you want to control a drone from a computer, do you actually mean that you want to send individual PWM channel values, or are you talking about something semi-automated where you send commands (like MAVLink)?
>>
>>2147211
Shut up, nerd.
>>
>>2147543
The fuck is your problem?
>>
>>2147916
some tyrone wearing earplugs cucked him and gay married his boifriend since he could actually understand him during sex.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.