[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 50 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: PXL_20210605_091130831.jpg (1.67 MB, 2334x1750)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
Nearly summer in the northern hemisphere edition

---

Previous thread --> >>2108389

In /rcg/ we discuss anything & everything radio controlled - multirotors, fixed wing, cars, rovers, helis, boats, submarines, battlebots, lawnmowers, etc.

>How do I get started with racing drones?

https://oscarliang.com/build-racing-drone-fpv-quadcopter/

>What about planes?

https://www.flitetest.com/

>What about aerial photography, is DIY viable?

If you want a practical flying camera platform, DJI is the sensible option. If you want a fun DIY project instead & aren't too concerned about the practicalities, then by all means DIY something.

>I want a dirt cheap drone to fly around my yard/garden

Syma X5C

>I want a dirt cheap drone to fly inside my house

Eachine E010/Hubsan X4

>What are some good YouTube channels for learning or fun?

Painless360 - https://www.youtube.com/user/Painless360
Flite Test - https://www.youtube.com/user/flitetest
Peter Sripol - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7yF9tV4xWEMZkel7q8La_w
bonafidepirate - https://www.youtube.com/c/bonafidepirate
ArxangelRC - https://www.youtube.com/user/Arxangelxr
RagTheNutsOff - https://www.youtube.com/user/moggiex
>>
inb4 first time fixed wing flyers using gyro and autopilot complaining
>>
>>2132520
I used to work developing autopilot systems for copters and planes, so I have some background (seems like ages ago), I'm curious about how things have improved in the last few years and wanted to get back into it as a hobby using one of these as a baseline.
>>
>F765-WING will be discontinued due to STM32F765VIT6 shortage
>PANICS
>>
>>2132539
Honestly, just start with the bog standard F405-STD. It will run Betaflight, iNav & Ardupilot. It will do racing quads, big Arducopter hexacopters, it has a barometer for Arduplane, it has a micro SD slot for logging. It's just a great all round, solid, no nonsense FC that can be applied to all sorts of situations. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised what it will do for the money. You can also pair it with one of Matek's matching PDB boards for a really neat power wiring setup.

>>2132525
Complaining about what?
>>
Only fags and spergs fly drones. Grow up.
>>
>>2132674
>t. rc car guy
>>
>>2132519
What would be the best FPV setup under 200$ or 100$ if possible.
>>
>>2132691
What do you have already?
>>
>>2132574
>Honestly, just start with the bog standard F405-STD
Yeah, I ended up doing that, if I find myself missing some features down the line and I can't integrate them myself, I'll get whatever fits me by then.
>>
>>2132677
Very easy actually, just please play something funny like Ducktales song
>>
>>2132691
Watching videos on YT
>>
>>2132674
Radio control is for retards, real men only do freeflight hand launch.
>>
File: 1607606198559.jpg (35 KB, 389x445)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>2132519
i cant get my qx7 to connect to my e010...
>>
>>2133195
Did you try using "bind_rx" in the CLI, activate bind on Tx, "save" in CLI, deactivate bind on TX while FC is rebooting?
>>
File deleted.
>>2132519
Does the Syma X5C controller use the bayang protocol? Does that mean I could use it with other drones and tiny whoops? I lost my Syma in a flyaway with an $8 joint taped to it last summer, wondering if I can use the controller with a Beta 65s lite or some other Bayang-protocol $30 whoop.
>>
>>2133195
Are you using the regular banggood multiprotocol module?

>>2133280
The E010 doesn't run Betaflight...
>>
>>2133387
Blue board dumbfuck
>>
>>2133195
You do have the multiprotocol module set up, right?
>>
>>2132691
liftoff + xbox controllor
>>
>>2133415
imagine browsing 4chan at work on a Sunday
>>
>>2132519
I'm trying to get back into this stuff, and I'm surprised the Syma X5C is still the recommended dirt cheap option. It really is a nice little quad.
>>
>>2134553
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There isn't really much to improve on it.
>>
What's something small, fast, and lightweight that i can use with 850mah 4s lipos that I have?
>>
File: DSC05979.jpg (1.18 MB, 2560x1707)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
Latest carbon design arrived, always a good feeling.

>>2135305
4-5" ultralight toothpick, if you can find suitable kv motors in that sort of size?
>>
Been happy with my King Motor 1000 RC 1/5 scale truck.. needs rear tires and other spare parts. easy ordering and stuff is coming, but the tires on backorder/waiting list, making the truck useless...
anyone have issues with King? any other company have tires that would work?
pic sorta related
>>
>>2135382
How much in total for that package?
>>
File: PXL_20210608_180040581.jpg (908 KB, 2337x1753)
908 KB
908 KB JPG
>>2135420
$87 (including $10 shipping). For scale, the main plates are 240mm long, it's for another ~10" build.
>>
>>2135487
I thought it would be much more expensive, at least twice that much.
>>
File: PXL_20210608_104208453_2.jpg (757 KB, 2337x1753)
757 KB
757 KB JPG
>>2135887
I think if you were to order something like this from a 'user friendly' online service like Armattan Productions, it probably would cost twice as much. But I order direct from a factory in China by just sending them an email.

There's loads of ads on AliExpress, made-in-china, even Instagram, for factories offering this sort of service. You just send them a message to start discussing what you want & what the price will be.

I even got a free cat in this order :3
>>
>>2135912
desu I think it's really cool that they do one-offs.

>>2135887
Also don't be afraid to shop around and use connections. I needed some metal discs for a reseach project last year. Got multiple quotes with about a 30% difference, then the professor told me to contact an ex-student at a firm the university sometimes does some free testing for and I ended up with a price that was less than half of the highest offer I got by asking for qutoes.
>>
>>2135913
>desu I think it's really cool that they do one-offs.

I imagine that with automated lay-up software it may even be beneficial for them to do some small one-off jobs like mine, to use up bits of sheets that might otherwise go to scrap?
>>
If I wanted to build a dedicated long range cruiser, would I be better off with something bigger or smaller than a 5"?
>>
>>2136231
Do whatever you want, but a lot of people are going with 7" quads for long range. Personally, I think a wing is better suited to this kind of flying, but that's just preference.
>>
>>2136658
7" quads are a pain in the dick to tune aren't they?
>>
should i set my crossfire to 868 or 915?
>>
>>2136678
Depends what country you live in. US (& I think AUS) uses 915MHz, EU uses 868MHz. I don't know about Asia.
>>
>>2136231
Long range quads are a bit of a meme IMO. As >>2136658
hints at, quads aren't really designed for efficiently covering large distances. This is why when you watch Jordan Temkin's mountain diving videos, he's actually just flying a regular 5" setup - instead of flying for 5 minutes across boring open terrain before reaching the spot he actually wants to film, he just drives/hikes closer to the spot so his flights are only 1-2km.

>>2136659
This used to be the case back in ~2018, but these days they generally fly well enough for most people on stock settings.
>>
File: DSC06004.jpg (1.26 MB, 2560x1707)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
RCExplorer vibes intensifying. Just mocking up with the old carbon arms to work out what length I want to cut a new set of aluminium arms.
>>
>>2132519
What is that plane?
>>
>>2136877
ZOHD Drift.
>>
>>2132691
Jumper T-Lite, cheapo box goggles and a drone of your choice. That or just get an Eachine E013.
>>
File: image.jpg (227 KB, 1024x1024)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
I'm thinking about making a pic related, I've got no real worries about the structural side. Gonna be making the structural parts from carbon or glass fibre etc. but what about the electronics?
What sort of a control board do I need that can be programmed to change between "drone" mode and "airplane" mode at the flip of a switch on the controller? And what about autonomous flight, I'm aware of the process for making a simple autonomous airplane but could the ordinary methods be used for this thing too? Making it land and take off on its own etc.
>>
>>2137478
https://ardupilot.org/plane/index.html
>>
>>2137482
Ah shit that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.
Thanks.
>>
>>2136869
fuckin hell mate herelinks are like a grand a pop
is this a hobby or do ya do it for work?
>>
>>2137478
got one of these with a 3.5m wingspan its pretty neat. screams like a banshee when it takes off and the quad props look like sidewinder missiles when it comes at ya.
>>
>>2137503
That's just the Here2 GPS, I don't have Herelink.
>>
>>2137504
Pics please!
>>
>>2137478
>more 2 blade prop shit
Do you people hate aesthetics or what?
>>
>>2137827
Generally people building something like that are more concerned with performance than aesthetics. I know that might be hard for your childish mind to comprehend.
>>
>>2137827
Wait til you see an Everil prop..
>>
>>2137827
>he doesn't know that 2 blade is the most effective while balanced
>he doesn't know about single blade
>>
new to the hobby
holy shit i hate all the connectors, xt30, xt60, battery balancers, 3.5 dc, 5dc, tx, rx, uart
wish it was all usb c apart from the power
>>
>>2137873
single blade might be most effective, but they need a counterweight for balance which makes them shit
next one would be 2.7 blades, but well you know. 0.7 of a blade, you see...
in the end the compromise is 3 blades for being the most efficient
>>
>>2137973
>0.7 of a blade
Just shrink the other blades to the size of the 0.7 one
>>
>>2137978
if it were that easy you'd see them on wind turbines as those things are primarily built for efficiency
>>
>>2137983
But wind turbines are built like that.
It's a 2.7 blade prop where instead of making a blade smaller they distribute the lost surface area among all 3 blades, so it's nice and balanced.
>>
I don't think Trappy is having a very good year. First Crossfire gets pwned on range and framerate by ExpressLRS, and now the v4 Source One frames are vibrating and delaminating because they're specced out with 4mm thick arms.
>>
>>2138404
Trappy is a whiny bitch who's only contribution to the RC community was making the rest of us look bad. I say fuck him.
>>
>>2138516
Glad I'm not the only one here who can't stand him.
>>
File: DSC06019.jpg (1.06 MB, 2560x1707)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
In hindsight, keeping the overall length the same as my quad frame but while shifting the front arms/FC back to maintain equal length for the arms, was probably a bit short-sighted - the front is more of an unsupported overhand than I'd anticipated. Probably reduce it by at least one 30.5 stack length for a v2.
>>
File: ExpressLRS.png (27 KB, 781x317)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>>2138404
Fuck, this ExpressLRS sure looks promising...
https://oscarliang.com/expresslrs/
>>
File: mindblown[1].gif (494 KB, 200x200)
494 KB
494 KB GIF
>>2138569
>>
I bought a 5 inch Apex frame like two years ago then lost my job, thinking about building it up now. It would be my first drone what are the flight times these days? More than 5 minutes now? Things are probably much cheaper now right? DJI affordable now?
>>
>>2138705
Ive been getting 6-7 minutes cruising/freestyle on my 5 inch lately.
Prices are actually up right now due to an international chip shortage.
>DJI affordable
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>2138705
Flight times haven't changed, there's been no revolutionary advances in battery tech. You're still going to get <2 minutes if you really abuse it, 8-10 minutes if you strap on a bigger than normal battery & take it slow.
>>
>>2138673
Those figures are really just what you'd expect for any protocol operating at those power levels on those frequencies.
>>
>>2138736
Not that guy but what about aircraft? I want something that could do ~30 minutes of flight time, is that possible?
It doesn't have to be fast or pretty, it just has to stay in the air for that long with a small camera as payload.
>>
>>2138764
Fixed wing (planes) are completely different to multirotors. Achieving 45-60 minutes with a plane is utterly trivial. However you have to remember that they fly completely differently - you can't hover in one place with a plane, you can't take off/land vertically from a small area, etc. Obviously you can build VTOL 'quadplanes's etc. but I'm trying to generalise here.
>>
I don't own a drone, but I have a Turnigy Evolution. I was trying to use it for the simulation game Liftoff. It is really hard to control the game. At first I thought I was just bad at using the controls, but now I think something is just wrong. Any suggestions?
>>
>>2138764
The DJI drone I saw at Costco today has a flight time of 30 minutes for $430. I know that’s not a racing drone but damn why aren’t we even close?
>>
>>2139001
We are pretty close to that actually, with stuff that you would use like a DJI. There are actually some maximum efficiency long range cruisers that can get I think its like 55 minutes.
>>
I can't wait to get my Fatsharks so I can get rid of my shitty box goggles.

Have any anons tried the Shark Byte HD fpv system? I'm planning to eventually get it but I don't have the money right now. Everyone says it's either really good or really bad. Thoughts?
>>
>>2139007
Its better than analog but nowhere near DJI, yet.
>>
>>2139012
Have you used it or are you just going off what Youtubers say?
>>
>>2139001
The original post that was responding to was talking about a regular 5" freestyle quad (Apex). Of course you can DIY something like the DaveC Micro Long Range which will fly in a similar fashion & for a similar length of time to a DJI Mini 2, but that's a completely different thing to a 5" freesytle quad.
>>
>>2138862
>Any suggestions?
1.) don't be shit
2.) git gud
>>
>>2139007
>I'm planning to eventually get it but I don't have the money right now.
I'm gonna get it when they release some nicely integrated goggles rather than the current frankenstein thing
>>
>>2139012
>better than analog
I prefer analog, simply because in strong interference I can still make out shit to avoid and which way to go.
>>
>>2138862
>>2139175
I think there is something wrong with the controller/receiver. I don't know how to troubleshoot without a real drone.
>>
>>2139378
You just suck at controlling the drone. Drones are hard to fly at first. You have to practice for a while. I just started last week and i thought there was something wrong with my controller too.
>>
>>2139378
Whats it doing that you think something is wrong?
>>
>>2139399
Should have started with a toy drone first.
>>
>>2139432
No you just download a flight sim.
>>
Why can't this stuff be more popular? It's so awesome. If your average person got a chance to experience it, then they'd be hooked.
>>
>>2139636
Your average person is too dumb to make it through the firmware-software-serial port configuration hell and come out the other side. It's still like the internet in the 90's; there is a minimum IQ required (and that's probably a good thing).
>>
>>2139962
This is exactly what the DJI FPV quad does. It makes it easy enough for pretty much anybody to do, but also retains some of the DJI geofencing stuff to try to prevent the worst of people flying in dumb places.
>>
>>2139971
With the goggles/controller the dji drone can be had for the reasonable price of 1300 dollars. Which basically makes this a toy for people who are well off. If you're already into FPV and have a DJI headset then why would you ever buy the DJI drone. It's a beginner drone that costs a ton of money.
>>
>>2139979
Yeah, for the $740 that the DJI FPV drone costs, you could buy 3-4 decent analog drones, or a couple of digital drones, plus pay much, much less for replacement parts after you crash the shit out of them while actually having fun. The DJI drone just seems like having sex with an expensive (yet slightly weird looking in an almost hot way) whore while wearing an extra thick condom.
>>
>>2139982
This is the case with everything though - accessibility costs money, especially fairly complex things which require more than just a precursory understanding gleaned from watching a 3 minute YouTube video.
>>
>>2139994
The good thing about the drone hobby is that the learning and cost curves are very gentle, you can start with something really cheap and easy to fly; some 15$ toy drone you can fly, crash and fly again, or even a full all-in-one FPV one, like the E013, if you dig it you can then get a cheap Jumper multiprotocol radio you can use your existing drone with, then a cheap small programmable 3D drone...
>>
>>2140005
Absolutely, but for every person who reads that sort of solid advice, there is another who unfortunately watches a clickbait YouTube video ($99 RACING DRONE!!!) & ends up having a really bad time when they discover a week later that they can't get their 5" quad built because they've literally never soldered anything before in their life.
>>
Is www.myrcmart.com legit?
I ordered some stuff and it's been stuck at "processing" for 9 days...
>>
>>2138862
My experience with Liftoff was pretty bad. Even after 5+ hours I could barely control the drone in game. I bought a tinywhoop anyways and was flying it pretty well within 5 minutes. Sims are overrated.
>>
>>2140181
Most people fly Whoops in angle/self-level mode, but use sims to learn how to fly rate/acro mode.
>>
>>2140009
Most youtube videos recommend buying a Tinyhawk or some other little quad. I've never seen a video where someone recommended a noob to build a quad.
>>
I know it's pretty niche but does anyone have experience with those Arkmodel submarines,
Are they worthy entry-level subs?
>>
>>2140410
The best entry level sub is a club or maybe a turkey. Afterwards go for an Italian or something with roastbeef.
>>
>>2140485
An Italian is really an entry level sub, but I agree that roast beef is not for beginners.
>>
File: chinatext.png (51 KB, 749x871)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
Accidentally bought a 50a ESC for my a 7 inch build. Can a 50a handle these motors?
>>
>>2139432
>>2139457
I actually have a toy drone and can fly it good. So that's one of the reasons I'm thinking my Turnigy is bad.
>>
>>2140201
Well it is easy to switch back and forth, so I've tried both in Liftoff.
>>
Has anyone ever had a lipo battery explode on them? I'm kind of paranoid that one will explode while I'm sleeping. Not that I charge them while I'm asleep.
>>
>>2140594
I charge mine while I sleep, Ive accidentally shorted balance and XT60 leads before, Ive charged my batteries hot and freezing, Ive even just last week witnessed a friend charge a battery and could actually see it puffing up as it got too hot to touch. He yanked it off the charger and threw it into the lot infront of his house, nothing happened.

Im not gonna tell you to get careless, lipos going up in smoke is fairly common. Thing is it usually doesnt happen spontaneously. You have to puncture a cell, overcharge it, charge it at too high C rating, or something similar to actually set one off.
>>
>>2140539
Yes, easily.

>>2140594
Lipos only explode if mistreated. They don't just spontaneously catch fire for no reason.
>>
>>2138569
peep the shot glass lmao
>>
>>2140671
Ironically I use it for isopropyl alcohol when washing solder flux.

>>2140554
LiftOff etc. will show you the channels from your radio in the setup, so you can tell if there's actually anything wrong with it.
>>
>>2140697
>Ironically I use it for isopropyl alcohol when washing solder flux.
Sounds stiff. No chaser?
>>
>>2140262
It's safer dealing with commodities.
>>
>>2139962
Even working with stock configs, its pretty frustrating. Guess I’m a brainlet.
>>
>>2140697
Don't mix it up! :)

>>2140731
It's not even that much safer, as in the end they have the same features than a DIY drone and only a bit of tuning on top of that.
If anything I'd say that it's much safer going the "first toy, then hobby" route...
>>
>>2132519
Anyone use receivers that use the 2 meter band before. I want to mix my ham hobby with my RC plane hobby. Seems kind of cool but sketchy to fly shit so far away from you.
>>
>>2141459
yeah
>>
>>2141473
Where do I buy them…
>>
>>2141474
hobbytown
>>
>>2141459
You can do 30-40km on 900MHz, why would you bother using the 2 meter band & its associated giant antennas?
>>
Guys, it might be time to get out of FPV.
https://youtu.be/yx1rWtSsApE
>>
>>2141546
>Rotor Riot in title

Hard pass.
>>
>>2141550
He buzzes a homeless guy twice, crashes next to him the second time, and then proceeds to nearly have a battery fire. To top it all off, he still has the gall to beg his viewers to join his patreon so that they can support these activities. Unbelievable lack of self awareness!
>>
Are there any youtube FPV channels that aren't complete shills? Every other video I watch might as well be QVC.
>>
>>2132685
Probably even a motel carpet racer.
>>
>>2141559
A good 10-20% of every video is just repeating "like and subscribe" over and over again too. JewTube was a mistake.
>>
>>2141566
YouTube itself isn't the problem, it's nobodies thinking they can be something on YouTube that's the problem.
>>
>>2141573
No it's nobodies that think they should be able to make a living on their videos. Then they get mad because they don't make enough money.
>>
>>2141585
Yeah, that's what I meant.
>>
>>2141573
YouTube being a politically motivated, AI controlled evil force is an issue as well.
>>
>>2141559
>>2141566
Just get SponsorBlock.
>>
>>2141544
Better penetration through trees
>>
>>2141551
Mostly agreed but I have to admit it was based when they build a giant rescue quad with a retractable arm and downward facing cameras that can retrieve stranded drones in inaccessible areas
>>
>>2140594
Yeah. Accidentally had a 3s plugged in and my charger was set to 4s. Posted pictures here of the blackened crater and was teased unmercilessly.
>>
>>2141791
If you're flying through enough tree cover that 1W of 900MHz doesn't suffice, you should probably rethink your flying position rather than reaching for the 2m gear.
>>
>>2141823
Do you still have the pictures? You should post them again.
>>
I just got my Fat Shark Attitude V6 goggles in the mail. I don't get what's so good about these. I guess it's better than box goggles but not by much. I thought these smaller goggles were supposed to be a huge jump over box goggles. It's just 2 little screens instead of one big screen.
>>
>>2141961
>listening to big drone shills on jewtube
>>
>>2141961
If anything, the visual experience of FatSharks is actually worse than most box goggles. I actually ended up moving away from an older pair of FatSharks & now use box goggles instead.

The real benefit of FatSharks is size & weight.
>>
File: mel.gif (789 KB, 500x328)
789 KB
789 KB GIF
>>2141961
>not going digital
>>
>>2142005
I plan on eventually getting Shark Byte but I don't want to fork out 600 dollars for DJI goggles.
>>
>>2141823
You have a shit charger then. My basic cheap ass Hobbyking charger checks the cell count before starting
>>
Recommend me a good analog drone for around 150 to 250 dollars.
>>
Are there any existing 3D STL designs for a nice slower flyer easier to control, good glide ratio for practice flying? One designed to carry a gopro hero 8. Larger wing span is fine, am driving. So I guess rear prop driven.

Haven’t flown in a long time and figure I should have an easy to fly thingy before going back to my zohd.

Also want friend to fly it too.
>>
Also If all up weight on a plane is 500g. What maximum thrust is ideal? For long wing glider? For delta wing?
>>
Is there any reason to update OptenTX? My Frsky QX7 has a 2019 version on it.
>>
>>2142230
Take a look at Flite Tests free designs. Many of them are specifically designed for first-time builders/flyers & as long as you have a source of foamboard you're good to go.
>>
>>2142405
Yes, there have probably been many bug fixes/stability improvements since 2019. You may not have run into any problems yet, but it's an easy upgrade for peace of mind.
>>
File: 1619885290697.jpg (70 KB, 413x319)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
I want to get into fixed wing fpv and bought a zohd dart250 around 2 months ago.
Now the only thing that's missing is the transmitter and banggood just changed the order status back to processing
After 2 months of wait
I just want to fly
>>
>>2142456
Good now buy a drone.
>>
>>2142456
Just hit up the local forums and buy a used Hitec Aurora or a Futaba T10, you'll be better off in the long run, especially with fixed wings.
The OpenTX is a bitch to set up properly for some more complicated planes where you have to mix for different modes or just having an aileron differential
I had all of them, Turnigy 9X, FrSky, ended up with Hitec (and sold my Futaba FF9 with rampac), setting up my gliders is a breeze and setting up flight conditions for the quads is easy as well.
>>
>>2142474
REALLY bad advice here, recommending Futaba of all things, what the fuck man?
>>
>>2142477
Having quite some years of experience in RC with both fixed wings and helis, later multicopters.
OpenTX is inherently shit for fixed wings. Have you tried setting up different butterfly mixing with thermal settings on OpenTX? Takes the whole day to finally dial it in while on Futaba and Hitec you have the option right there in the menu. It will also set it up for you according to your wing settings and that is on the ages old FF9.
The RC world is not just about the newest "drones", zoomer
>>
>>2142474
I bought a jumper t lite 4in1 because I'm too retarded to understand all the different protocols. So I was hoping it'll just work with whatever I put into my plane.
>>
>>2142479
>yes, goy, invest into the futaba ecosystem, you'll find it very convenient, all the boomers use it, you don't want to be less! what? prices? no, no, don't look at those, receivers are worth that much and more, of course, cutting edge technology from 2010!
>>
>recommending Futaba, Hitec in 2021

Fuck me, I didn't know the boomers from the 'model flying club' knew how to use the Internet.
>>
>>2142484
What's the matter Chang? Did your shill get exposed?
I bet you don't want the guys to know you can put modules into the T10 and FF9, just like I did. You can also buy multiprotocol receivers for the Hitec and Futaba like the FrSky Delta8 and various others.
>>
>>2142493
I bet the fixed wing part eluded your attention because you don't know what it is.
>>
>>2142474
you're a fucking dinosaur
>>
>>2142496
I've been flying fixed wing on OpenTX for years.
>>
>>2142479
>Have you tried setting up different butterfly mixing with thermal settings on OpenTX? Takes the whole day to finally dial it in
You may be retarded
>>
>>2142536
And none of that was in competitions
>>
>>2142552
>I need to adjust my flaps for 1.5° on one side and take back from the thermal settings because it is too windy
>lets dive into the openshit programming and fuck everything up in relation so lets adjust those as well
>and it goes on and on and on
>instead of setting two simple settings in the mixing menu
And I'm the retarded...
>>
>>2142633
>>2142641
You are the absolute epitome of the 'bitter old model flying club boomer', who hates progress on principle and can't stand that things have moved on, allowing newcomers to 'your hobby' to enjoy it with far less investment of time, effort and money.

We get it, you and retiree buddies love your overpriced, stagnant, decades old tech. But for fuck's sake don't try to push that crap on newcomers.
>>
I kind of want to try fixed wing, bros. I have a bunch of quads but something about the smooth glide is calling out to me.
>>
>>2142707
I find it quite relaxing, just make sure to not listen to retards like >>2142474
>>
>>2142718
You sound like the dumb kids back in school saying things like "reading is for the stupid"
You must have some serious self esteem issues if you feel threatened so much by some more experienced "boomer" who is actually just a few years older than you are (unless you are under 18 in which case just fuck off)
>>
File: DSC06051.jpg (1.03 MB, 2560x1707)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
Made some decent progress today. Stuck trying to decide how/where to mount antennas though.

>>2142784
The usual problem with that sort of 'boomer' is that their experience only goes as far as 2003. Visiting my local flying club is like stepping back in time & it's not even a case of 'the old ways are better' - so much of it is just making their lives objectively worse.
>>
>>2142809
What antennas are you using?
>>
Not sure who is on what side here but I'd like to chime in and say OpenTX is indeed cancerous.
>>
>>2142456
How about an es915tx and rx
>>
>>2142837
Explain
>>
>>2142477
The virgin futaba vs the chad yotsuba
>>
>>2142809
I'm seriously asking, how much experience do you have in F5J and especially F3J competition flying?
When you get a $1000+ (and more like $2000-2500 today) model that has the potential to kill in one way or another, you will definitely think about what system you are trusting your full control. And I mean full control, some minor glitch means going out of control and these things do not bounce back like your average foam flyer, they will pierce a man without any major loss of energy. Or mince up in the case of a motored plane, anything above 2m wingspan is fucking lethal.
There is a very, very good reason why the "old boomers" at your local club behave like they do and huff and puff over your cheap chinkshit radios. I mean there were deaths during pulling up a fucking glider, in my country there is no public RC events held since 2006 when a scale model turned a couple into pink mist right in front of their child. Cause: radio interference. It was on the old analog 40Hz but it shows how much you need to trust a system, and you buy the best not because it is expensive and you want to show off, it's because you don't want to hurt innocent bystanders. Not losing a model is the icing on the cake.
There is a good reason why Spektrum and DSM/DSM2 systems were looked down upon, those were known to brown out from a slight extra load on a servo.
You buy the better system to trust the clean and strong signal and resilient RX, you buy the good quality servos so they don't burn out your entire power supply, you buy the good ESCs and motors so they don't make your plane into a flying deathtrap from shorting out.
There is a good fucking reason why any seasoned RC modeler will ditch the chinkshit in favor of the good stuff.
>>
>>2142898
>it was on old boomer radio
>>
>>2142898
>>
>>2142898
>in my country there is no public RC events held since 2006 when a scale model turned a couple into pink mist right in front of their child
in my country people are usually smart enough to not do hilariously dangerous things especially with their kids around, not counting forida

really you have to hellishly careless for an accident like that to happen. Being ignorant, jaded, and stubborn doesnt stop carelessness from happening anon.
>>
>>2142898
And yet these same people go apoplectic at the suggestion of installing a flight controller with GPS to safeguard against people getting killed when their turbine model failsafes. Go figure.
>>
>>2142166
Rekon 5
>>
>>2142837
Agreed. It's a pain in the ass.
Example: setting up a low batt alarm. It should have that feature put of the box, instead you have to fuck around with virtual switches and if statements and selecting the correct beep or sfx (for which there is no audio preview)
I get that it's probably powerful but my shitty flysky tx had this working out of the box. And everything else was a lot easier to configure too.
>>
>>2142943
On my Hitec I just push the battery icon and set the alarm. Every setting I would need is there in a conveniant way, don't have to do a whole programming course to set up elevators and flaps with relations, it is right there in the menu.
>>
I wish there was a Luke Smith of RC. Someone who can make based videos instead of jewtube shills like Bardwell
>>
File: LukeSmithxyz.jpg (56 KB, 460x460)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>2143001
forgot pic
>>
Okay I’m gonna order a R9m Lite Pro ans flash expressLRS on it
>>
>>2143030
oof
>>
>>2143001
There's RCmodelreviews/xjet
Bruce and his crew is the most based on the tubes
>>
>>2142898
Holy boomer.
Witnessed.
>>
File: IMG_20210618_072725_596.jpg (92 KB, 1440x959)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>2142824
Just a regular half wave 868MHz dipole & a 433MHz Sander, but the issue is putting them somewhere they won't get in the way of mounting batteries, cameras, droppers, etc.
>>
>>2142809
Are you really going to put the battery on that overhang??
>>
>>2143322
No, of course not. Batteries go on top at the back.
>>
>>2143322
Overhang is for the camera/gimbal
>>
>>2143149
ExpressLRS is the best 900mhz system
>>
>>2143350
no it's not old man
>>
>>2143334
>>2143344
Oh, I see now, missed the standoffs on >>2143313
>>
>>2143350
Depends upon your criteria for 'best'. It certainly looks promising, but it's still a very nascent system.
>>
>>2143352
I'm all for making fun of the resident retiree, but ELRS is the exact opposite of what an old man would use.
>>
>>2143354
Well I would have bought crossfire nano if they had a build for flashing elrs to that.
>>
>>2143355
Yeah what every queer. I bet you're using that 900mhz to watch boys.
>>
>>2143355
Show us your AARP card, Boomer.
>>
>>2143367
Literally wat. I'm saying that ELRS is about the most modern/bleeding edge platform there is, so there's no way the backwards boomers would touch it.
>>
>>2143373
Oh, nevermind. We need IDs on this board like /biz needs flags.
>>
ELRS is the Linux of RC Systems. Just use Crossfire you fucking dorks.
>>
File: DSC06068.jpg (910 KB, 2560x1707)
910 KB
910 KB JPG
Done with the hardware now I think, just the config to do tomorrow.
>>
>>2132519
You need a Drone license to fly them in UK
>>
>>2143628
Do you need a license to fly fpv? I'm moving to the UK soon I can't live without my drones.
>>
>>2143628
>>2143642
No. Even before they relaxed the rules at the end of 2020 you still didn't need a license for anything but commercial work.
>>
File: Y7nD10_1_400x400.jpg (31 KB, 400x400)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>2143648
Good to hear mate now i can fly me quad copt up da ol ben! Hahaha nah mate just takin da piss.
>>
>>2143558
I hate Linux but ELRS performs better than Crossfire.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.