[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What makes a good lawnmower? I need to buy a used lawnmower, not sure what to look for on craigslist or whatever. What brands are good?
>>
File: proxy-image (89).jpg (376 KB, 650x450)
376 KB
376 KB JPG
I mow a corner lot with a electric mower. It's nice not having to screw around with gas and oil anymore. $100 practically new on craigslist.
>>
>>2127499
Toro makes good push mowers.
>>
>>2127505
How big is your lawn though? Don't they only last like 30 minutes
>>
I don't know how it is in America,but if you want a gasoline powered mower, go with any brand that has briggs and stratton or kohler engine. I have my Viking lawn mower with kohler engine for 11 years,literally bulletproof engines. Strattons are good too, although I used them for other purposes, not for mowing lawn
>>
Get a mower with a Honda engine, usually the mowers with the GCV-160 last a long time. Turn off the fuel valve and let it run out of fuel when you're done cutting. Ethanol is the main killer of small engines when left unmaintained.
>>
>>2127514
"Electric" isn't necessarily "battery-powered". Just get a plug-in mower and a 100-ft power cord.
>>
>>2127505
>being a cordcuck
use gasoline like a real man
>>
>>2127552
Go drink some gasoline.
>>
>>2127514
>Don't they only last like 30 minutes
I use a plug in electric mower. I don't believe any of those batteries will last and I don't want to buy new ones. I'm buying this thing one time.
>>
>>2127543
Second this. I literally pulled a Troy Bilt out of the trash with one of these engines on it a week ago, and the carb was shot because someone left gas in it. $15 on Amazon later and it has a new carb and runs perfectly. The new carb didn't have the right actuator for the choke controls but I live where it's hot so it doesn't really matter.
>>
>>2127499
don't buy toro unless it's 30 years old
avoid tecumseh engines newer than the 90's
my current mower is 10-12 year old craftsman with a honda OHC 160 cc or so engine and apart from the front wheel mounts wearing out and giving it more camber than a spic's civic, the recoil starter breaking and the self propel cable snapping it has held up pretty well
>>
>>2127499
I have gotten my last 8 years of mowers by garbage picking in the spring every year rich people throw away their perfectly running mowers for new ones
look for stripped drive wheels they are easy and cheap to fix
>>
>>2127833
>rich people
Don't cut their own grass. You, are just poor.
>>
>>2127499
if it's cheap it doesn't matter as long as you keep up with maintenance
also look for once with push assist
>>
>>2127499
it's a used mower. you've already decided to go cheap so buy a cheap one. fix it up without spending a lot of money and use the hell out of it. when if throws a rod or starts smoking too much from worn rings, trash it and buy another. why do people overthink these things?
>>
>>2127499
For me, what makes a good used mower is:
-Self propelled
-Starts and runs great on first pull
-under 100$

And if you can get a honda etc then that's a plus
>>
>>2127499
Old Snapper push mowers were great. Old Toros are also good.

Honda motors are probably the best on the market today in homeowner-grade mowers. As has been said, old B&D and Kohler motors were the best for older machines. Also, look for Tecumseh motors.

Avoid anything that was sold at Walmart regardless of the brand. Often times they just license the name to Walmart and they slap it on whatever can sell at their price point. They don't use the same parts and other dealers won't repair them.
>>
>>2127543
This is interesting. I just got a new mower I might have to start doing that
>>
>>2127543
I've got a mower with a Honda engine. Absolutely unkillable.
>>
>>2127499
Check the box stores, they frequently have mowers that were returned, fixed and sold at huge discounts. Saw one sitting out front of Lowes the other day for 90$.
>>
>>2128796
And just about every town has a small engine repair shop with rehabbed lawn equipment pretty cheap
>>
>>2128390
lawnmowing is a rich guy hobby
they buy 2k$ mowers every year to mow
>>
>>2127533
>I don't know how it is in America,but if you want a gasoline powered mower, go with any brand that has briggs and stratton or kohler engine.
(checked) It's the same here in the states mostly. Over here you go for Briggs or Honda.
Bought a used old Weedeater off a guy for 65 bucks a few years ago, runs a BnS engine. Keep the carb clean and make sure it's gasket is seated well, and it'll start every pull.
>>
>>2127833
This. Get a case of alibaba chinkshit carbs for $200 and enjoy free mowers, powerwashers, weed eaters, etc year after year
>>
Been mowing with one of these for 15 years with absolutely 0 maintenance besides blades every couple years. Have changed out the oil since like 2014, I would replace it but it just never dies
>>
File: manualmower.jpg (326 KB, 2121x1193)
326 KB
326 KB JPG
>>2127499
Take the manual mower pill. You'll be glad you did.
>>
File: DSC_0110.jpg (3.59 MB, 4032x2268)
3.59 MB
3.59 MB JPG
>>2127499
You already know what makes a good mower, the question is whether or not you will shell out the money for it or settle for something inferior
>>
>>2127579
if maintaining a gas engine is too difficult for you, you should rethink your life. been using cord mower for years before switching to gas. the pain still minding the cable in the grass not to cut it is definitely not worth it
>>
File: IMG_20210601_182250__01.jpg (2.35 MB, 4461x1673)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
I didn't see a /general/.
Overseeding + cutting question
I have an established lawn, mowed last week at 2", then laid down 2lb bluegrass/1k.
I don't want to disturb the seed, but also want to assure the sprouts get sunlight. I'm getting conflicting answers as to when to mow - wwyd? Grass is already around 3.5".
>>
>>2127552
He's also a corner cuck.
That's what I consider a trash can for my empty beer cans.
>>
>>2129589
Corner lots are the worst, I used to live in a house with a corner lot. No privacy, and yard would always have fast food bags, and beer cans.
>>
>>2129596
>Sip
>Not my job
>Slurp
>Aaahhhhhhhhhhh
>>
>>2129596
Corner lots are great if you live in a white area.
>>
>>2129589
>>2129596
build a fucking fence maybe?
>>
>>2129605
Every once in a blue moon I see a house with a privacy fence in the front. Our realtor told us she came across one with a pool in the front yard one time. Weird.
>>
>>2129683
In the front? Those are usually houses with sped kids.
>>
>>2129596
only in nigger areas they dont pick up the trash so their yard becomes trash its pretty easy to tell when you transition from white to nigger areas
>>
>>2127499
garbage picking, idiots can't clean carbs and ethanol fuel is shit for carbs. use a bread end tie thats stripped of all the paper to clean out the really small holes in the carb, the needle and seat and you're good to go.
>>
>>2129683
My house has a pool in the front, what's wrong with that? It makes it easier to fence off without taking away backyard space.
>>
>>2129751
>putting the pool in the front yard saves space in the back yard
God bless /diy/ for little gems of knowledge like this
>>
>>2127499
That's bloat, get a scythe.
>>
>>2127499
Get a robot-mower that cuts your grass silently while you have a beer in the sun. We don't live in the 60s anymore.
>>
>>2129707
My mother in law gave me her old Honda mower, won’t start and nobody knows why. Thing is like 5 years old and hasn’t been used in 4, but someone fucked with it and it looks like it was used to mow without an air filter. I tried cleaning the carb but I’m still getting nothing. Am I just retarded or is this thing in need of more serious repair?
>>
The self propel on my Honda push mower works randomly when it wants, but most of the time doesn’t. I have a Troybilt riding mower for the majority of my yard, but still need the Honda for tight spaces like around my garden.
How much is it to fix, and is it difficult to do? I assume the gears are stripped or something isn’t catching correctly.
Pls no bully.
>>
>>2130048
have you checked the spark plug and the ignition coil? spark plug must be wet with gasoline, otherwise the fuel line is fugged, and check ignition coil if it creates any spark to the metal chassis, the plug socket tends to get fugged over time

also if there has been old gasoline it would "poison" the engine, you just have to keep trying to start it until it is washed away with a fresh gas
>>
>>2130048
Check for spark, then for compression. If it has those, it should start with a spritz of starting fluid or carb cleaner. I had one where it wouldn't start and people were dicking with the carb etc.... just needed the gap on the ignition coil/magneto reset.
>>
>>2127543
Honda motor for sure.
High rear wheels are easier to maneuver if you need to turn a lot.
No need to run engine dry if you put Stabil in your gas can every single time you fill it. Every time.
Toro is good.
>>
>>2127510
they also make excellent ZTRs if you're willing to fork over $4k. With regular maintenance they'll last you forever.
>>
>>2127546
sounds like more of a PITA than messing with gas and oil desu
>>
>>2127543
in my opinion the new honda engines have to many levers springs and shit.
cleaned the carb of my honda because it needed like 20 pulls to start. now it starts with 2 or 3 pulls but what a hassle.

also have a 30yo tecumeseh engine made in Italy, it never received any maintenance and starts with 1 pull after sitting in the shed with old gas for the whole winter.
it only has one lever which is throttle, choke and off
>>
>>2129378
i used a cast iron push mower.

it was great until it rained in summer
>>
File: best.jpg (1.74 MB, 3264x1836)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
>>2127499
this chink shit mower starts with 1 pull after sitting the whole winter full of gas.

never received any maintenance or oil change, expect last year when it was under water in a flood event. that's why its so dirty.
drained the oil water mix and let it sit in the sun for a few days without spark plug, cleaned air filter and put new oil in and it runs like before.
although the deck is starting to rust thought.
>>
>>2127499
>What makes a good lawnmower?
Honda or pre-2000 Lawn Boy.
>>
>>2131775
>what a hassle.
Interesting, I've had the exact opposite experience. I cleaned the carb on my 2002 honda for the first time today and it was far easier than the briggs and stratton / tecumse ones I've done. I hear you about all the levers and springs, but ime they can be set any which way and it will usually start and run fine, then I just adjust the 15 different screws (or not) to fine tune it.
>>
>>2127505
Fuck that. Changing and charging batteries 5 mow is far worse than filling with
Petrol one a month
>>
>>2127514
it takes me about an hour and a half to mow front and back lawns. I have the cordless DeWalt mower and the batteries it came with last at least that long
>>
File: 20210605_182221.png (3.9 MB, 1997x1080)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB PNG
Just got a ltx 1050 kv cheap because it doesn't drive (forward or reverse). Idles good, PTO works. Think it might be the belt? Seems pretty loose.
>>
>>2127546
fuck that. you sound like you dont mow lawns
>>
>>2127499
i found my mower on the side of the road. unbolted the engine and discarded it and then bought a 100 dollar engine off of harbor freight and i have been using that thing for 8 or 9 years now
>>
>>2133176
I mow my (mother's) lawn (something like one-sixth of an acre) every two weeks with a corded 12-ampere mower (Homelite brand).
>>
File: IMG_20200514_180720_665.jpg (326 KB, 1440x1440)
326 KB
326 KB JPG
Deere 318, if you have a space. I made my own stripping roller.
>>
>>2133223
That bee infestation looks pretty bad. I hope you were wearing protective gear when you took that photo.
>>
>>2133227
a bee-suit and some roach-away will solve the problem.
>>
I had uploading issues
>>
>>2127499
Large rear wheels
>>
>>2130045
literally this, if you have under an acre of land one of these can do it all for you
>>
File: 51wwhjAwbEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (44 KB, 1439x629)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
anyone put a fuel filter on their push mower? I've already bought pic related but haven't put it on yet.
>>
What ethanol treatment? Only 1 gas station with real gas and it's far away and only 91
>>
>>2134027
You might already have a filter in the bottom of the fuel tank. Install a fuel tap if you haven't got one - it will stop your carburetor gumming up.
>>
File: v16.jpg (6 KB, 325x245)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>2134282
it has a tap. dump question does it matter what side of the tap fuel line i install the filter on?
>>
>>2134249
You can look this up, theres basically a redneck way of separating the ethanol from gas by putting equal parts water as ethanol in the gas and letting it sit. So if you have E10 gas in a 1 gallon can, add 1/10 a gallon of water and let it sit overnight and the water will basically attract the ethanol and separate from the gas settling on the bottom. Then you can open a plug on the bottom of the container and let it flow into a storm drain.
Only problem is most refineries use the ethanol as an octane booster, so 87 with the ethanol removed might be 85 or so octane. https://youtu.be/bEf9Fdvx_Sc
>>
>>2134287
If it is a honda like posted there is a in tank filter.
>>
>>2132821
son, you need to have respect for your equipment.
>>
Get a Makita
>>
>>2128511
Don't. It's bullshit. Running it dry is actually what causes the problems because that's when the fuel turns to varnish and fucks up the needle valves and injectors.
>>
>>2127499
Briggs or Honda engine. Kawasaki also makes good engines, but you'll pay out the ass for them. Stay away from Kohler motors on rider tractors or otherwise make sure it does an electric pump. The manuals wear out fast.

For push mowers, try to find one without any frills. Just a regular fucking push mower. None of that self-propelled shit. 4.5hp is all you need for a pushmower.

IMO, stay away from electric PTO on rider mowers. They are cool when they work, but a serious pain in the ass when that clutch starts fucking up, plus you have to have the battery top at all times.

Try to find a rider with greasable spindles.

It really depends on how big your yard is and what the terrain is like. Most people will get along just fine with a cheap-ass MTD from Walmart.
>>
>>2127505
Based and practical-pilled

I have very little grass on my lot and a steep hill so I just use a manual push mower (a reel mower).

Gas cucks will never understand the convenience of not having to change oil or run to the JizzNSplit to buy gas.

I run commercial equipment all day. The last thing I need is to come home and turn on another engine that I have to maintain
>>
>>2129378
I have this one and it works fine, but I want to up the gearing ratio because I think it would work perfect if the reel spun just a bit faster.

Also, what grass can I seed with that's stiffer? I have patches of hair like grass that don't like being mowed, reel or gas
>>
>>2129340
There's nothing that can go wrong with them.

Remember that this is a toy collecting forum, so don't get weird when people start posting ridiculous wastes of money they don't need to mow their small yards
>>
>>2129401
Are you implying the most expensive paint known to man (John Deere green) somehow makes a mower superior??
>>
>>2135977
Running a 4-stroke dry will not harm it in any way.
It's normal to run it dry after the last mow of the season.
Running it dry every week is just silly though.
>>
>>2135109
im not investing a penny in this thing i know exactly that if i do the piston will gall or the bearings are going to size.
>>
File: Only_good_boomer_meme.jpg (158 KB, 1024x995)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>2135998
Yes
>>
File: LawnBitches.jpg (2.22 MB, 4032x3024)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB JPG
>>2132949
LawnBitches for the win. Stinkey has been running like a champ since 97
>>
>>2127543
i bought an old ass rusty honda mower from, my guess is the 80s, for like $40 on craigslist. been mowing my yard with it for 3 year with it now. my only complaint is the nigger rigged pull cord snapped, so i nigger rigged my own pull cord which promptly snapped as well. i ended up removing the entire bullshit pullstart assembly and use a cordless drill and 3/4" socket to e-start that bitch. fuck pull start nigga
>>
>>2136357
I have a powerwasher where the plastic assembly holding the pull cord broke and couldn't find a replacement. I never thought to use a drill and socket. That's brilliant.
>>
>>2127533
Briggs and Stratton is great, i bought one on Craigslist years ago and it has only ever needed a single pull to start each time
>>
File: DCMWP233U2_3.jpg (537 KB, 2886x3000)
537 KB
537 KB JPG
>>2127499
>>2127505

I used to use an old corded mower, but I finally bit the bullet on a battery powered mower because my old dewalt batteries finally died because it came with two 10ah batteries.

It's good for my use as a landlord to cut grass purely as a means of bylaw compliance, but that's at maximum height bagging and not giving a single fuck about the lawn otherwise. I'd certainly be able to do it slightly faster If I mulched, but that drains the batteries just enough that getting my rentals mowed would be cutting it close, so I'm forced to bag.

Since I cheaped out and bought a caravan instead of a pickup, the biggest drawback is that I am stuck using electric for the ability to safely transport and store the mower inside my minivan, a gas mower would require purchasing a pickup to store safely long term. Here, I can just leave the mower in my van for the entire season.

With the larger deck and no setup time, I certainly get the job done faster now, and if you had properties to drive around to mow every other week the extra time saved does add up. Not going to be great for bigger lawns, and probably not the highest quality cut, but as a workhose mower with a steel deck it's worth it, especially since i'm already on the dewalt platform.

I'd say corded mowers are fine for smaller lawns, and battery mowers are only worth it if your already on the platform. Gas mowers are still king for huge suburban lawns however.
>>
>>2127499
thicck plastic deck will last longer than steel
steel will rot if you don't clean it every time
other than that depends on your needs, larger plots need petrol or battery, smaller are ok wit electric and extension
electric means less maintenance
>>
>>2137488
>steel will rot if you don't clean it every time

No, it will dry out if you store it out of the weather. Do none of you dickheads have fathers? How does this kind of nonsense spread?!
>>
>>2137568
The best time to clean the mower is when that shits dry. My grandpa would have me do it when ita wet but id end up fucking it up more so just wait for it to dry now and use a paint chisel.
>>
File: RB9512-EZ-Slide[1].jpg (355 KB, 566x640)
355 KB
355 KB JPG
>>2137575
>>2137488

Use this under the deck and you won't have to worry whether it's wet or dry because nothing will stick to it. I wish I knew about it 7 years ago. Really helps keep it from bogging down cutting tall wet grass too and won't make the grass chute clog if you coat it too.
>>
File: jyhzr4jbfpf11[1].png (273 KB, 2514x914)
273 KB
273 KB PNG
>>2130188
The Honda pushers are know for their transmission problems. Could be a belt too or the tension cable for it needs to be adjusted so it engages the belt.

>>2127543
Only replying because this post needs another (you). Every new mower owner should read this post, they should also look in the back of landscaping vehicles/trailers sometime. More than likely they will have one of those red little hondas. Also even E93 is garbage from a gas pump. I recommend the trufuel stuff for at least 2 cycle engines. If you're storing it, also empty the float bowl, even with fuel treatment.

>>2127546
It is by virtue of a "battery" of magnets at the end that makes the angry pixies go down the line. Also the rest of your post is wisdom for those into raging and being cringed at by onlookers every week.

>>2129572
Leave it high for another week then mow it to 2-3 inches. Sprouts need water and coolness more than burning sun. Grass grows best when it's 60-80 degrees and has water to grow from. I would leave it high all summer so it establishes and to help keep the weeds out.

>>2137568
>No, it will dry out if you store it out of the weather
The dead grass patches will dry out just in time for the next batch of wet cut grass clippings to coat the deck. Also the rotary action will whirl away all the rust that accumulated under that old wet grass so that the next batch of fresh wet grass can have a nice new surface to continue rusting into.

>>2137488
>thicck plastic deck will last longer than steel
Lol no. All it takes is one wrong bump after a couple of seasons of plastic brittling weather to ruin the whole thing.

>>2130045
This meme is for you, virgin.
>>
Can someone recommend a lawnmower? I'm moving into a house with a pretty small lawn (<100 m^2) and I want something battery-powered. I like Ryobi stuff, so I'm thinking either their 33cm or 36cm mower, but I'm not sure which to get.

They market the 33cm for my size of lawn, but I'm wondering if the 36cm might still be better just because it would cover more ground.
>>
Those Roomba FAGGUTS need to make a lean mower that runs like a roomba
>>
>>2137941
>oh you'd better not do that! someone might cringe at you for mowing your lawn wrong!
You sound like a woman who has never worked a day in her life.
>>
>>2129680
>ordinance says you can't have more than a token decorative picket fence if it's next to a sidewalk
many such cases, very sad
>>
>>2138291
Watch unpaid reviews, no one here is going to have experience with several brands of cordless mowers. They generally all have power issues from what I've seen.
>>
>>2137488
have a 70-80s Toro the deck is aluminum only the top side is painted.
the underside is almost polished by the grass and dust so nothing ever sticks to it.

everything is metal and the engine was made in Italy and it starts with one pull after the winter.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.