[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

So the consensus here (despite everyone’s hopes and dreams) is that off grid living boils down to an unrealistic and uncomfortable lifestyle that no one would actually enjoy. Given a standard budget of course. However, If the shitting in-a-hole-in-the-ground situation could be improved I think it might be doable. Has anyone considered running a vent from the outdoor log heater into the outhouse to make it bearable in the cold and winter seasons? I personally piss and shit a lot so I would be using the outhouse multiple times a day. How stinky is it, actually? How much shit can it hold? How fast does it biodegrade? How do you find out if an outhouse is legal on your land? Lastly, please share ideas on how to improve the shitting in an outhouse situation.
>>
>>2103118
You really want to heat a pit full of shit? Winter is nice, no smell. Summer outhouse is just a box over a hole, so nice sitting comfy in the open air in the morning watching the mist rise off the forest floor. If you really want to improve your winter outhouse experience eat more fiber so you not stuck sitting out there trying birth a brick.

Personally I find the simple life quite agreeable and far more comfortable than modern life.
>>
>>2103121
Lovely post mate thank you
>>
>>2103118

Modern flush toilet in outhouse uses rainwater.
>>
File: ATandT Outhouse.jpg (95 KB, 792x612)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>
File: Privy 2H 1905 SP M-44-04A.jpg (1.3 MB, 3000x2287)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>
File: winning_privy1.jpg (89 KB, 893x600)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>
>>
>>2103145
But how do you get rid of the solid sludge
>>
Look. You put a barrel under the shithole. When it is full you (if you can fucking afford it) throw some decomposing stimulant stuff, like sawdust on top and put the lid on.

Change the barrel out, and put the full one to the side for a year or so. Come back later, and empty out the super fertile soil (unless anyone took antibiotics and shat in it) and put the bucket back in. Rinse and repeat.

Outhouses are generally placed a bit away from the house for a reason.
Install a piss separator, a little tube above the barrel where the piss splashes mostly, for better decomposing.

>hurr can you warm up a litttle shack in the winter?
No of course you can not run heat there jesus crist it might explode
>>
>>2103145
Looks okay. Is the two liter bottle just in case someone gets thirsty?
>>
>>2103221
Pic shows access cover

Do it right, and you only need to pump a septic tank every 20-30 years.

This looks like it is not a standard flush toilet, maybe more of a rinsing action.
>>
What's wrong with a septic system and a well?
>>
>>2103118
>So the consensus here (despite everyone’s hopes and dreams) is that off grid living boils down to an unrealistic and uncomfortable lifestyle that no one would actually enjoy.
Why are zoomers so spineless
>>
>>2103118
Anon I got a 20x20 pond outside with a 4" pvc pipe coming out of the ground that dumps into it. Throw some septic shit down the drain to help decomposition and mosquito tablets in so you don't get zika virus and call it good.

Plumb the shitter into your house you fucking Mongolians.

This isn't 1910 indoor plumbing is cheap and easy.

>2021
>shitting in the cold and rain with the snakes.
>>
>>2103118
>outhouse is legal on your land?
Check with your County or Township. They will probably say no (but they won't enforce it without a complaint on file.)
>>
Thanks for the pics bump
>>
>>2103382
>that early morning shit where you leave the door open and just admire the sunrise
It's the simple things

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.