[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 57 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 5d9fbc69701a1.image.jpg (229 KB, 1262x710)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
How would you go about recreating Ted kaczynski's cabin? What materials would you use? How much would it cost?
Just a thought experiment, I might make one myself
>>
Wood is too expensive, forget it.
>>
>>2093107
Could you be any more low effort?
Anyways i was thinking pressure treated wood for the frame, 2x4s should be okay, but I'd need some load bearing stuff for the 4 corners. I'd probably build each side of the building as one frame, then raise them up and nail and screw them together, from there the roof goes up and it's all good. Not sure if i should make the two front pieces triangular or make that part seperately.
>>
>>2093090
do it yourself moron.
>>
>>2093111
I am but I want inspiration. I can't find any schematics online. What should the angle of the roof be?
>>
File: 1601869262642.jpg (17 KB, 300x320)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>2093090
>>
>>2093123
Buildings aren't illegal, moron
>>
>>2093124
>>
>>2093128
Fuck building inspectors
Permitfags can kiss my ass
>>
>>2093128
based
>>
>>2093090
>What materials would you use?
aluminium foil
to keep out the brainwaves and the covid
and seal in the freshness
>>
File: 9781554072248-l.jpg (91 KB, 370x495)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>2093090
>might make one myself
Doubt.jpg
>>2093116
>angle of the roof
Literally just measure it from Ted's cabin pictures you helpless dummy, also there's a museum with the cabin recreated.
If you can't figure out how to frame a basic shack just by looking at Ted's cabin then read a book or two first.
>>
>>2093090
Wood, cement, lead slates and a massive dose of hypocrisy. Don't worry too much about political theory; You can safely skip that part.
>>
>>2093116
Your a faggot trying to be spoonfed. I understand your useless and have no skills but why should people with those skills waste their time helping you plan something you will literally never do. Your a /b/ quality poster not a /diy/ Chad. Gtfo
>>
File: 3049693001_f1b1c0f98e_b.jpg (149 KB, 1024x682)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
Cute Cabin Thread!

Brought to you by Ted's Sheds.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>live alone in a chuck shed and slowly go insane
>>
Pretty nice shelves, Looks like some are the ladder to the attic.
>>
>>2094661
Yeah, Many cabin hermits start off a few guppies short of an aquarium before hand.
>>
File: 21Cabin.jpg (65 KB, 495x287)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>
File: 6064b9f34c30c.image.jpg (98 KB, 990x667)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>
File: 6064b9f22d6b6.image.jpg (87 KB, 990x661)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
Loft
>>
File: 6064b9f32e7c0.image.jpg (86 KB, 990x658)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>
File: replica cabin.jpg (146 KB, 640x480)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
Replica in Alabama
>>
File: aaf.png (243 KB, 680x709)
243 KB
243 KB PNG
>>2094661
>>
10x12 feet

Looks like 8 foot walls and a 4 foot high peak.

No running water or outhouse.
>>
>>2094699
Imagine the smell
>>
>>2094789
>Imagine the smell
Wood fire. Cozy.
>>
>>2094653
great shelves
>>
>>2093090
why do that when you can design your dream estate to fill with family and friends and outbuildings for all your hobbies and books so you can teach your kids all the shit they won't learn in school.
Kaczynski was a mad genius and he lived in a box.
you can design a box.
>>
For a mad genius he really skimped on the murder holes.
>>
File: free-yard-shed-plans-3.jpg (74 KB, 773x1000)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
Small Cabin stuff
>>
Around here we just call them hunting shacks,
>>
If I built a hunting shack in the woods, I would make it cute.
>>
>>2093090
go innawoods, build a cabin, live there. Congrats, that's how Dr. Kaczynski lived.
>>
File: 1534214822257.jpg (57 KB, 392x372)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>2094647
>Ted's Sheds.
>>
File: amin yashed.jpg (47 KB, 647x404)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>2094657
>Amin Yashed need to be here.
>>
>>2093110
>Could you be any more low effort?
>Anyways i was thinking pressure treated wood for the frame, 2x4s should be okay, but I'd need some load bearing stuff for the 4 corners. I'd probably build each side of the building as one frame, then raise them up and nail and screw them together, from there the roof goes up and it's all good. Not sure if i should make the two front pieces triangular or make that part seperately.

You need to measure your corners on the land, dig >2ft deep >1ft wide holes to pour concrete for the wood posts.

You also need to think about insulation and what material for the inside. Unless you decide to just do a single layer of wood which I don't recommend.
>>
File: shack.jpg (111 KB, 1183x493)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
here in germany the sell diy kits for basement dweller homes
and they are dirt cheap

this one is 10 by 10 feet

depending on the location they dont even need a permission and dont have to comply to any code.
>>
>>2094669
This is a fantastic picture 2bh
>>
>>2093090
>How would you go about recreating Ted kaczynski's cabin? What materials would you use?
Wattle and daub, timber framing.
>How much would it cost?
Just the piece of land.
>>
>>2093090
Currently leasing a piece of land from some friends to build according to the "$50 and up underground house book" by Mike Oehler. Built with cedar posts, girders, beams, and shoring taken from the land, covered with polyethylene sheets or EPDM liner, and several feet of earth.
>>2099531
Wattle and daub has no insulation. All heat or cold will be conducted right into the house unless you have an insulation layer on the inside. Hence why I am encasing my house in several feet of dry earth.
>>
File: 1606609748116.jpg (74 KB, 827x967)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>2093131
Stay safe brother.
>>
>>2100630
>Wattle and daub has no insulation
>t. retard
>>
I swear I've seen this cabin in the map asset store for valve games.
>>
File: anprim hang noose.jpg (46 KB, 640x640)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>2101023
Gabe Newel is an ANPRIM and a devout student of Teddy so that's no surprise
>>
>>2094669
you can only be so smart without not being crazy ya know
>>
>>2094660
What is that stove called
>>
>>2094661
As opposed to living in a cuck box (apartment)
>>
Just make sure it meets the HOA standards for the area.
>>
>>2093348
>museum with the cabin recreated
Didn't the FBI literally steal the whole fucking cabin and that's actually the real cabin or do they have that in a drawer somewhere
>>
>>2093107
there's plenty of wood in the woods m9 therefore its called the woods, that's the etymology i believe
but how does someone like me get around to processing that wood
>>
File: 1605773006174.jpg (6 KB, 250x201)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>2097793
>Grecian columns
>>
>>2102392
A chainsaw and a steady hand
>>
>>2102392
Get a felling axe and a broad axe and look up "how to hew a beam"

Looks time consuming but when you do a few it goes quick
>>
>>2102392
>implying you can just randomly cut down trees without going to prison
>>
>>2102315
That is in fact Ted's actual cabin that was placed in the throne of industrialized society.

Also someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Ted spent an incredible amount of time on the shed dimensions/construction to ensure it was geometrically perfect
>>
>>2102679
My first thought as well. Such typical burger shit my eyes filled with HFCS looking at that image.
>>
>>2103923
>spent all that time on geometry
>didn't make his own lumber
Why was Ted such a hypocrite
>>
>>2093090
cheack out bushradical on youtube
>>
>>2102140
I think that's a potbelly stove
>>
>>2094669
Did they really confiscate the entire cabin?
>>
>>2093128
kek
>>
>>2097793
>the cute house you live in before you go murder all the cute little forest critters
>>
>>2093090
>How would you go about recreating Ted kaczynski's cabin?
Building it
>What materials would you use?
Looks like it was made out of wood. Wood.
>How much would it cost?
A fair fucking amount, but he was a professor of mathematics in a better time so he didn't need to worry about that.
>>
>>2103943
If you don't agree with his message, why do you care if he was a hypocrite or not?
Revolutionaries are perfectly happy to use the tools of the regime against regime.
>>
>>2093090
First, get yourself the tools. For wood, you will need a few decent axes, saws, planes, chisels, hammers, and nails. Get a good sharpening stone, oilstones are great, but bench grinders are where it's at.
Get good at mixing cement, or learn how to quarry stone. Especially, learn how to identify stone. Lot's of youtube videos on the subject.
If you can run a power generator, get a table saw or bandsaw. Circular/buckler saws are good in a pinch but are a trip to the hospital waiting to happen.
Keep a trauma kit nearby.
Practice making very nice flat pieces of wood by hand out of sticks using a plane, and use old pallet wood to practice making joints.
Sandstone splits very flat and even when worked by hand tools if you can find it, so does limestone, slate and shale. Sandstone cannot be used for making fire pits, as they explode when heated.
Chimneys should be sheet metal and go into a pot-bellied stove with space for a kettle and a stoker.
A great /diy/ project that would go with this would be building glass-covered planters, a bunch of beehives, or even a water mill for machinery if you are near running water but far enough away from civilization to hide it. Don't be a retard and flaunt it so >>2093128 this guy doesn't come around and mess you up. Check your local laws, don't attract attention and people will leave you alone, for the most part.
>>
>>2100630
>Wattle and daub has no insulation
>So instead I will surround my house in soil
Kek
I've seen good results with cob- essentially it's the same conductivity but because the walls are like a foot thick the thermal mass keeps you warm. Would also be possible to use multiple wattle panels to create a thicker wall
>>
>>2107531
I don't know, but with an earth home wouldn't you lose a lot of incoming heat during the day? It seems like you'd just constantly be dispersing energy into the soil with zero gain
>>
>>2093090
>>
>>2107445
Why are you assuming I dont agree with his message
>>
>>2107773
Because you're calling him a hypocrite, a word people tend not to use when they have charitable, agreeable views on their subject.
If you're joking just say so and never mind.
>>
>>2094661
>chuck shed
I’d rather live in a Sneed Shed
>>
>>2097793
>Mr Rooster
Cute
>>
>>2107812
Try reading the words you see on your screen, not the connotations you've gathered in all your worldly travels. Teddy's own manifesto condemns him, there was a clear struggle between his philosophy of the world and his anger towards people. I call him a hypocrite because he was, by definition, a fucking hypocrite. His disconnect from the society he abhorred was, as that implies, a grossly pathological one. At times only just barely exceeding the threshold of superficial posturing. It was less like a ukranian using an AK, and more like freedom fighters becoming dictators. Which while it is common, is still a hypocrisy. All of the ills Theodore said were undesirable, were the exact same ones he employed in his little tantrum. A gifted philosopher turned savage by his inability to temper his childish complexes. He's a hypocrite.
>>
>>2107899
Formerly Ted's
>>
File: 1599017785719.png (1.23 MB, 1280x720)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race. They have greatly increased the life-expectancy of those of us who live in "advanced" countries, but they have destabilized society, have made life unfulfilling, have subjected human beings to indignities, have led to widespread psychological suffering (in the Third World to physical suffering as well) and have inflicted severe damage on the natural world. The continued development of technology will worsen the situation. It will certainly subject human beings to greater indignities and inflict greater damage on the natural world, it will probably lead to greater social disruption and psychological suffering, and it may lead to increased physical suffering even in "advanced" countries.
>>
>>2108295
>Try reading the words you see on your screen, not the connotations you've gathered in all your worldly travels.
Go forth and multiply.
>>
>>2108295
>As for our constitutional rights, consider for example that of freedom of the press. We certainly don't mean to knock that right; it is a very important tool for limiting concentration of political power and for keeping those who do have political power in line by publicly exposing any misbehavior on their part. But freedom ofthe press is of very little use to the average citizen as an individual. The mass media are mostly under the control oflarge organizations that are integrated into the system. Anyone who has a little money can have something printed, or can distribute it on the Internet or in some such way, but what he has to say will be swamped by the vast volume of material put out by the media, hence it will have no practical effect. To make an impression on society with words is therefore almost impossible for most individuals and small groups. Take us (FC) for example. If we had never done anything violent and had submitted the present writings to a publisher, they probably would not have been accepted. If they had been accepted and published, they probably would not have attracted many readers, because it's more fun to watch the entertainment put out by the media than to read a sober essay. Even if these writings had had many readers, most of these readers would soon have forgotten what they had read as their minds were flooded by the mass of material to which the media expose them. In order to get our message before the public with some chance of making a lasting impression, we've had to kill people.
>>
>>2108322
Sneed

>>2108348
Exaclty
Taken out of context that sounds very nice. In context, it's literally a justification for petty revenge. Reality bears this out. Not only has Ted's message failed to propagate, others of a similarly fringe bent have proven that these fringe ideas leave a far greater impression if allowed to stew in the background unhindered. I'm sure that given enough time the murders will become detached from the manifesto, but if he hadn't done that in the first place his manifesto would demonstrably be in a far more popular position than it is now. Also he has no idea how society works on a macro scale but that's another point for another thread, I'll just say that for as smart as he was he still fell victim to the lack of perspective that plagues so many great thinkers and ironically seems to have been overcome by only the greedy and manipulative cosmopolitans of the world.
>>
>>2108365
That's like saying just because i tactfully assassinated a person for completion of a goal means means more people can assassinate people on the pretext of completion of another goal therefore my assassination of the first person was not tactful at all
You're just a weak dumb nigger
>>
>>2108380
>that's like saying
You completely failed to understand my post, go sit in the corner.
>>
>>2108382
>Ted's message failed to propagate
>if he hadn't done that in the first place his manifesto would demonstrably be in a far more popular position than it is now
God you're dumb
>>
>>2108383
You are literally reading one thing, and thinking another. Dumb doesn't even begin to describe you, you're being straight up delusional.
>>
>>2108560
I'm not him, but I think whatever it is you're trying to say is dumb regardless.. now run along.
>>
>>2108365
>Not only has Ted's message failed to propagate
That's why it's propagating in this here very thread, amirite? You're sharp.

>these fringe ideas leave a far greater impression if allowed to stew in the background unhindered.
Kinda like it's still doing now, amirite??

>I'll just say that for as smart as he was he still fell victim to the lack of perspective that plagues so many great thinkers and ironically
Let me tell you about irony, KEK....
>>
File: 1379156905263.png (40 KB, 363x360)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>>2108661
>one thread one a Mongolian basket weaving forum
>propagating
Ted claimed his actions were to ingrain his message in society. But his actions caused society to turn away from him.

>disavowed and deplatformed
>unhindered
Words are hard for you, huh buddy

>let me tell you
Then tell me. Dont say vague shit that forces people to infer meaning, as all it does is leave room for you to wriggle out of any retardation you failed to catch before posting. Theodore DID suffer from a lack of perspective. His analysis of the world was... as much as I hate using this phrase... eurocentric. He failed to consider the wider world and its history. If he did he would have realized that these "consequences of industrial society" have existed since the dawn of civilization and are more apt to be called symptoms of the human condition. This problem goes so much deeper than mere society and if Theodore had shelved his petty complexes he might have been able to engineer an actual solution approaching a degree of effectiveness higher than the terroristic equivalent of REEEEEEEE.

You see me challenge ted and have a bitch fit because you fail to engage his ideas beyond consumption. I call ted a hypocrite because real consideration of his philisophical work, it's obvious that his substantive works undermined his pursuit of a better world.

When alls said and done, I suppose you at the dinner table could hold the crop accountable for not being able to grow in foul weather. But the farmer cannot afford this abortion of responsibility. It is not his place to scold the crop, but to nurture it. Because of this we must hold the farmer accountable when he wastes precious time venting his frustration to the crop while it droops under his misplaced ministrations.
>>2108651 that is what I am saying, you vainglorious cunt.
>>
>>2108695
cope, the post
>>
>>2108943
I can't see the argument, point it out for me please. Is it there, right under your massive nose?
>>
will you two just fuck and get it over with? holy shit you're both so gay.
>>
>>2108943
>I wrote something far to complex for me to understand so I refuge a rote response.
>>
>>2108695
>Ted claimed his actions were to ingrain his message in society. But his actions caused society to turn away from him.
His message in the last 10 years has become very accepted amongst younger generations
>>
>>2109201
More accepted? Yes. Very accepted? No... it's still got a few more decades to go. Dont get confused because we currently have a vocal minority of literal psychopaths being given a world stage, its social theater and Ted's message will not flourish with this generation. It literally can't.
>>
File: 1617037493033.jpg (65 KB, 500x371)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>2109182
>>
File: 5713091738_64b38cc988_o.jpg (1.57 MB, 1667x1315)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
When the Ted is sus!
>>
File: alaskan-mill.jpg (353 KB, 1920x1280)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
>>2102392
>learn to identify trees, what species are native to your region, which are best for building with
>fell trees with chainsaw and rope
>cut into 8, 12, and 16 ft sections (leave them oversized by several inches)
>cut slabs with Alaskan sawmill rig (basically a guide you fix to the log that holds the chainsaw straight)
>depending on construction style do 2 inch thick slabs and make normal framing studs
>or post and beam timber frame with bigger dimensions, if you know anything about timber framing and have tools
>stack slabs on flat even sticks to minimize warping while they dry
>wait one year
>cut to dimension lumber with a battery powered track saw (flat metal jig that keeps the saw straight over long spans)

Congratulations, you now have a ton of straight true wood to build with. Total cost for necessary tools is about $1200 depending on what you buy
The actual construction depends on how far you want to go. Metal roofing, tar paper, and concrete footings are pretty inexpensive and can be done solo.
>>
>>2110959

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.