[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (1.86 MB, 1466x1212)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB PNG
What are the quintessential tools for clay, ceramics, and etc.? My high school class had like five instruments (the pin tool, a couple of the wooden shapes, and a loop or two) but I'm curious what else exists out there and finding a whole ton of neat stuff. Any recommendations on good kits to get?
>>
>>2075200
No idea but bump for fun.

What rpm does a diy pottery wheel need to spin at? How big the motor need to be for say 1 gallon jugs?
>>
Would diy clay be good for this?
>>
File: nomad034-web.jpg (165 KB, 750x500)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
Bump faggots
>>
Check out this site, catalog should be pretty comprehensive:

https://shop.sculpt.com/

most important "tools" are of course your hands, but imo always worth starting with tools that allow you to remove large amounts of material as quickly as possible, ie wire-cutters.
>>
>>2076560
>what RPM
Doesn't really matter, you control the speed while throwing, it's not just on/off. Most wheels I've seen are from 1/4 to 1 horsepower, though, and around 200 RPM is what a lot of people use "normally"
>>
>>2075200
>>2075200
>(the pin tool, a couple of the wooden shapes, and a loop or two)
That's all you really need. Everything else is just textures and variants on those.
>>
>>2075200
start going down the rabbit hole of making your stamps out of fired clay
>>
>>2075200
>quintessential tools for clay, ceramics, and etc
In order of importance:
Your hands
A wire
A needle
A stiff rib (wood)
A sponge (vital if throwing)
A flexible rib (thin metal, silicone)

Loops and scoops and spatulas and pointy wedges and funky ribs and all the other things do what you'd think they do and are only as useful as you use them. Don't bother buying a bunch of things at first, collect or make them as you need them. Get some piano wire and metal hobby tubes and make loops. A wooden rib with the right geometry can be a wonderful thing. A small wire brush can make scruffing joints easy. A wooden knife with a pointy triangle at one end and a burnishing spoon on the other is something I'd recommend too.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.