[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 152 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images.jpg (7 KB, 183x275)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>
>>2060064
Because you touch yourself at night.
>>
>>2060064
I just paid $2000 us for 2 pallets of pickets. Wood is out of control. I spent half of that last year at the same time for pickets.
>>
>why is X so expensive!
why didnt you learn basic economics in school
>>
>>2060064
If you did it yourself it world be free. Think about that ya lazy waste of city oxygen
>>
>>2060064
Try being a luthier, senpai. I hunt sitka and Croatian spruce and have to battle bidding wars. Just enough AAA sitka to make a violin can cost me $200.
>>
>>2060114
and then you sell it for a few thousand, complain again and i will gut you with an air freshener.
>>
>>2060143
>you sell it for a few thousand
lol, no. Do you think a Stradivari or Benning hangs out here?
>>
>>2060064
Depends WHere to buy. I mostly get IT from Friends and self harvest. Also depends on The Wood and WHere you are. Like local Woods are Often cheaper. I mostly need small amounts of Wood for knife making. Also buying knife handle blanks IS expensive af. Rather buy larger pieces from Instrument Maker supplieers. Most stuff IS self Harveste but drieing Wood IS a beast on its own.
>>
It's not like it grows on trees OP
>>
>>2060106
Because keynesians are dominating and governments don't want The Population to know that they are Being Played?
>>
File: 5d1a85b603003.image.jpg (163 KB, 1200x900)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>2060143
>>
>>2060064
Try living in New Zealand, where we pay more for timber than most countries on the local market, despite supplying a rather large chunk of the international timber market.
>>
Helicopter money to people who aren't working causing massive demand. Welcome to inflation, hope you enjoyed your decades of low interest rates.
>>
>>2060395
based capitalism
>>
>>2060064
Carbon Credits
>>
>>2060064
https://youtu.be/JnJUrA8HEjU
>>
>>2060468
Canadian-US trade deals and no Chinese manufacturing bc muh bird flu
>>
>>2060064
Demand. The economy is booming and logging to supply it is wide open. Find a substitute. Wood is shit anyway.
>>
File: Hey There Sexy.jpg (33 KB, 500x358)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>2060065
>>
>>2060315
>austrianfag
Economic shock therapy is what fucked over The Population and muh hayek literally invented it
>>
money printer go brrrrrrrrrrr
>>
>>2060395
I dunno where the fuck NZ timber goes, normally I use aussie hardwoods for knife handles but supply had dried up from my usual sources and figured I'd look around the NZ markets for maybe something interesting nearby that could do the job.
>a lot of big fat fucking nothing!

Its fucking weird I can get a lot of A-grade Ebony easier than Kauri
>>
>wanted to build a wooden fence behind my 4’ tall puny rock wall
>JUST a little 10’x20’ L-shaped section to prevent people from jumping into my backyard from my neighbors house (the side alley of their house is even with the top of my wall)
>it would practically cost me $600 in lumber if I did it by myself
>the longer I wait the more expensive it will be
>the longer I wait, my backyard/side gate will remain extremely accessible for strangers, coyotes, and stray dogs
>>
File: 1590984120028.jpg (325 KB, 2040x1530)
325 KB
325 KB JPG
>>2060911
Find a local lumber mill and give them your money instead. Local reinvestment and they won't be jews on the price since they don't have the international reach the major logging corps have. I can still buy my pick of cedar, oak, cherry or walnut. All in any custom sizes you want. My local mill is charging the same amount of money per board foot as they did last year.
>>
>>2060916
I live in the southwest USA; the closest forest is like 100-120mi away and it’s mostly injun land. There’s lumber supply houses here like 84 and L&P but even they charge currently inflated prices for wood. I buy 2x4s for concrete forms at work and they’re like $7/stick last I remember. And I’m planning to buy a couple 4x4s for posts; wouldn’t cheap out on those regardless though
>>
>>2060917
I just ordered 4 6x6x10 posts for a deck roof from my local mill for $20 a pop.

if you buy in bulk and have a trailer it might just be worth the gas money to take a day trip to the nearest small time mill, it's just a matter of finding one. I found mine through facebook.
>>
>>2060468
>shut down producers
>price rips up
This is some telegraphed market cycling. If you can survive the famine or put your foot on the gas in the worst of times, you're going to come out flying.
>>
File: Chart.jpg (67 KB, 927x503)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
Prices in the US were going down as the presidential election neared. Then when Biden got elected, it shot back up. Not sure why it happened that way but it's pretty weird.
>>
>>2060064
Because you got Biden Bucks and its driving up inflation like a motherfucker. Everything costs more now.
>>
>>2061081
Steel, too. I bought a welder last year and wish I could return it. I can't afford to do anything worthwhile with it.
>>
>>2060907
During the lockdown they closed the mills and sent all our logs to China, supplies have never caught up even though mills were only closed three weeks a year ago. I'm a builder in a small town and every timber product is fucked, and what little there is on the market gets hoovered up by the big chains like Mitre 10 and Bunnings, and mostly gets sent to the large cities. Small town merchants just get put on waiting lists and are perpetually out of stock.

Fuck this fake virus and fuck these fake POS politicians and their social engineering. It's screwing us. I can barely do my job, and my company is probably a year behind in work and we can't say no to work because we do insurance. We just got another 30 major jobs thanks to a recent flood in our area, and I'm struggling to find timber to do the damn jobs.
>>
>>2060907
Kauri and other native timbers are heavily protected and considered Taonga, which means it belongs to the native Maori, who are fucking degenerates that complain about whites all day long, have special rights and live off handouts. Good luck finding that shit, a tree has to fall down for it to be available, and then it belongs to our ungrateful pet niggers so they decide what happens to it.
>>
>>2061080
>Not sure why
Are you actually stupid or just pretending?
>>
I've got some standing trees you can buy.
>>
>>2060874
idk, i think feudal economy was best but thats because i got not much empathy, but not exactly a topic for here to descuss.
>>
>>2061080
people bought emergency wood in case of idk what?
>>
>>2061314
Educate us, oh wise one, otherwise STFU.
>>
>>2061508
Supply and demand.
More people want wood, jack up the prices to maximize profit, since people REALLY want that wood, and don't know any better.
>>
>>2061512
What does that have to do with the presidential election? Are you telling me that Biden makes men get wood?
>>
>>2060110
It's going to take a really long time to make even one 2x4 using a Dremel.
>>
>>2060064
My work has been paying out the ass for plywood and melanine, and3 or 4 times this year have been unable to 5/8's of an inch melanine for cabinetry.
I think it's because so much paper related industry last year switched over to making masks if they could, and just now we are feeling the result.
>>
>>2060106

He went to an american public school. Don't worry, he probably knows everything about dialectical materialism except the name.
>>
>>2060064
Depends on the wood. I'm in SE usa and good southern yellow pine is cheap. For most of my projects it's great.
>>
>>2061221
>>2061223
I just find its weird that nearly everywhere else has some kind of cottage industry for quality, small volume timber that's cheap to ship anywhere... except NZ
They seem to only sell finished products like boxes and shit, or you want a whole 10ft across tabletop slab. When all I wanted was just a couple of planks of nicely figured, good quality dressed timber, shit it'll be quicker to hop a flight over and just chainsaw me a few bits and fuck off before the natives start chucking spears
>>
>>2061508
>Educate us
Regulatory burden.
Trump put shackles on the EPA and loosened a variety of other regulations.
Biden put up back into the Paris Climate Accords, is toying with version of the Green New Deal, and already shut down pipelines to demonstrate he's not just talking about fucking over industries and subsidizing green bullshit.
Couple that with the general fears of inflation and risk tolerances of the commodities market. And you get expensive wood.
>>
File: Yella Fella Jimmy Rane.jpg (163 KB, 1024x768)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>2061839
Yella posting detected.
>>
>>2062016
Thanks anon.
>>
>>2062016
>commodities market
https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/commodities/lbs
That's lumber futures. Hit 'Max.'
Inflation is eating us alive.
>>
>>2060312

Kok
>>
File: BRICK.jpg (30 KB, 690x281)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
MAY I INTRODUCE YOU TO OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR
>>
>>2060064
Everything is getting more expensive, the dollar itself is worth less and products in all areas got a drastic lower in production.
You now spend much more in the same groceries you used to buy last year.
>>
>>2062199
Brick here in Georgia has tripled in price, going from about $0.34 each to a dollar per brick. Not sure about the rest of the country but it's crazy how quickly the price has gone up here.
>>
>>2062210
The only thing that hasn't gone up is beer.
>>
>>2060064
My fence is falling down and the thought of having to replace 400 feet of it ... fucking REEEEE
>>
you thought the money machine go brrrrrr meme was a fucking joke? this is what happens when you try to prolong a post war economic wave this fucking long.
>>
>>2062746
That's not what's happening, airhead. Residential construction is booming and COVID19 has damaged the supply chain. Demand goes up, supply goes down.
>>
>>2062199
I can't build a deck 11ft off the ground with brick.
>>
File: 20210322_091504.jpg (448 KB, 1080x1185)
448 KB
448 KB JPG
>>2060916
>pic related
My first plantar project, it's turning out OK and there are heaps of lessons I've learned.
Mostly 2x6 with a bit of 2x4. Total of around 135ft of treated pine ended up costing $270.
>>
>>2062780
should have built out of pallet wood. cost you 0
>>
File: 1589854622515.png (44 KB, 746x487)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
>>2060064
literally pic related
>>
>>2062757
not with that attitude you can't.
>>
>>2062199
Maybe the Croatian aerated terracotta merchant was onto something after all.
>>
>>2062753
hahahahahaha
>>
I make Adirondack chairs so I need weather rated wood so what lumber yards has treated pine
>>
>>2062947
Graduate high school, faggot.
>>
>>2063631
oh wow such smart, guess we can just print more money than was even circulating in under a year without any problems.
>>
>>2063653
Clearly what we need is more taxes breaks for billionaires !
>>
>>2063653
I don't agree with that, but that's not why lumber prices are rising.
>>
>>2063656

Biden's doing that, too. Trump's tax cut went nearly entirely to the middle class. The super poor don't pay taxes. The super rich have a high rate in theory (Trump did cut that) but they escape the whole thing via loopholes (Trump closed a few big ones). Depending on how you define rich, the rich did only slightly better, which is why nearly all of america's billionaires supported Biden.
>>
>>2062847
Nah. I don't know your experience with pallets, but it is all ridiculously cheap shit here that easily warps and breaks. I want these to be around for 30+ years.
>>
>>2063653

We will see by end of year but looking broadly at consumer prices, it looks like inflation. Most of the kids have never experienced it before.

CPI is gamed to hell, so we will just have to wait and see.
>>
>>2060064
Supply has been pretty low since those floods and hurricanes like a decade ago, and theyve not really surpassed demand as so many places get hit then rebuilt. It'll go down eventually, when people finish rebuilding and warehouses fill back up. Might take another decade though.
>>
Are hardwood prices starting to go up as well by any significant amount? A few months back I used 1"x8" oak for something because it was cheaper than the damn pine.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1616393097394.jpg (60 KB, 688x960)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>
File: 1615041601736.jpg (150 KB, 1080x1375)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
I always stop and take old furniture people put on the curb now. Lots of table tops are solid oak, etc.
>>
>>2064204
shut up, shut the fuck up craig why the hell are you blabbing your mouth.
>>
Because a bunch of smaller sawmills closed down, but home Reno/home improvement (either bored people wanting to Reno or rich white collar people tired of looking at the same thing and paying to Reno)

There’s no shortage of trees, there’s just more demand. There is no less supply just less sawmills.
>>
>>2060106
lol imagine being taught econ in an american high school. I went to a fancy private school and we didn't learn a single fucking thing that I picked up in my econ1a at college
>>
>>2064242
in public school its a lot less about the school and more about the teacher, that being said what the fuck is your point.
>hurr i didnt learn therefore!
your education was a waste
>>
>>2064242
>American public school
>racist adults
>25% illiterate
>cant into math on an international level at all

Gg
>>
A random commodity (lumber) increasing in price is not a sign of inflation

>>2063684
Both parties serve the ruling class
>>
>>2064293
>cant into math on an international level
the us just uses a different standard. notations, visual representations, shit like that. euros see mathematics written in the american standard and their brain just fucking melts. its not because they cant do math, its because they dont know that standard. (and also because they cannot accept people doing things differently from them but thats beside this joke of a point)
its like saying americans cant measure because they dont know how long a meter is
>>
Because the fed inflation numbers are a lie.
>>
>>2064327
ive wondered, is this actually even possible? there are so many eyes on and private entities involved how the hell could the feds just lie about something like that.
>>
>>2064293
Ok now look at White American scores. In top 10 at least.
>>
>>2064331
They're not really hiding it. Every commodity is going up eventually, but the dollar remains the same ? Look at gold and silver. Why do we have a futures market for it that's immensely bigger than a physical market ?
Metals aren't perishable like food, so it doesn't fucking make sense.
Truth is, if they didn't suppress the price of gold, we would see what true inflation is like. Nixon ended the gold standard in 1971, gold futures markets were implemented in 1974.

Look at bitcoin. Gold and bitcoin are fundamentally the same thing. Scarcity, impossible to fake, eternal, borderless store of value. Why has bitcoin taken off so much ? Because they have failed to implement a derivatives market on time, and it wouldn't make sense anyway because paper bitcoin is retarded since you can easily trade the actual thing yourself with a computer and an internet connexion, unlike gold.

https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/1974LONDON16154_b.html

They outright admitted the futures market was engineered for that :

>TO THE DEALERS' EXPECTATIONS, WILL BE THE FORMATION OF A
SIZABLE GOLD FUTURES MARKET. EACH OF THE DEALERS EXPRESS-
ED THE BELIEF THAT THE FUTURES MARKET WOULD BE OF SIGNIFI-
CANT PROPORTION AND PHYSICAL TRADING WOULD BE MINISCULE BY
COMPARISON. ALSO EXPRESSED WAS THE EXPECTATION THAT LARGE
VOLUME FUTURES DEALING WOULD CREATE A HIGHLY VOLATILE MAR-
KET. IN TURN, THE VOLATILE PRICE MOVEMENTS WOULD DIMINISH
THE INITIAL DEMAND FOR PHYSICAL HOLDING AND MOST LIKELY
NEGATE LONG-TERM HOARDING BY U.S. CITIZENS.
>>
>>2061669
America loves guns.
Biden is coming to take those guns.
The best defense against Biden are stairs.
Ergo, there is a high demand for staircase materials.
>>
>>2060114
Have some 20+ year old book matched sitka I had sawn on BC.

A guy offered me $600 for one section, enough for 4 double basses but I turned him down as he was a jerk.

His website now says he only does a limited number yearly due to a wood shortage.

I also have some big pieces of pernambuco for bows.
>>
Because someone burnt down all the forests last year
>>
>>2063689
Yeah I think inflation is almost certainly happening with COVID as a scapegoat.
>>
>>2062780
Not bad, but the planters in the post you replied to were built with about $25 in wood.

You shouldn't use pressure treated anything for planting.
>>
>>2060395
Same in Squamish BC.

I want to do in addition in Timber Frame and I'm going to need about 1800 board feet for it. It actually cost less with shipping included to get it from Appalachia in fucking white oak then I can price it out of local sawmills, and the white oak is guaranteed to have been dried for 2 years and knot free and already dimensionally faced up to the right size.
>>
>>2064296
lumber isn't the only thing. steel has doubled in price since this time last year as well. can't find 2" angle around here or anywhere for under $2 a foot now, for example.
>>
>>2060106
What point do you believe you're making?

Even if someone has a perfect understanding of your brand of normative economics, and totally agrees with your feelings, it doesn't mean they magically know the positive economic factors that may be affecting the price of a given good.

>>2060422
>>2061081
bitch half the country isn't working because the government said they can't. Your hate boner for the working poor(yes working retard) sounds even MORE psychotic than ever before. And TRILLIONS from those stimulus bills, MORE than went to individuals, went to the corporations that are making MORE money in the pandemic than before it.
Blaming the least powerful people is just belligerently, maliciously retarded liberal bullshit.

>>2062016
Modern wood production is environment neutral, your MUH REGULATION is completely off topic here

>>2061352
You think that because you're deluded enough to think you would somehow be on top. You would not. You would be a peasant like everyone else(and you are in real life as well.) Get over your ego and become nationalist

>>2063684
The billionaire class added almost 2 trillion dollars to their net worth during the pandemic. Barely my fucking ass, that's a lie. Stop watching television.
>>
>>2064665
>wood production is environment neutral
your think communist regulatory policies have anything to do with reality?
>>
>>2060064
>WHY IS WOOD SO FUCKING EXPENSIVE?
you think wood grows on trees or sumtin?
>>
>>2064665
Based
>>
>>2064748
Not him but he is essentially correct. To argue otherwise you would need to start talking about huge ecological time scales, like "oh no this forest bed is going to be mildly neutrient deficient in about a hundred thousand years" kind of shit.
>>
File: 1615921510007.jpg (482 KB, 1314x1552)
482 KB
482 KB JPG
>>2060064
>>2060100
It's those damn wood barons!

They force us to use fiat currency made of wood pulp and linen, which they inflate by printing an infinite supply of so they don't have to raise taxes to pay for all their waste, fraud, corruption, and abuse
>>
>>2064545
Made some planters like that for my aunt like a decade ago out of black locust. That shit lasts.
>>
>>2062757
you could, also use metal.
>>
>>2064665
Peasants got more holidays than we do, and got to keep more of their income than we do. We are slaves in comparison.

Leadership also had much more reason to invest in long and short term projects. Nearly impossible to do anything that lasts more than 2 or 3 years.

Whether you agree with the high speed rail boondoggle in california, it's a good example of both bad investment and the project being killed by politics.
https://news.yahoo.com/u-justice-department-talks-california-003250545.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmluZy5jb20v&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAABXcygNiFwa80FUABBo3b62wR8loqFoLwTNJbFLgr_dfQIWe5eUkJ52ahqubCochPDW-derrwzdUR7AH8OpwLU9sulInUJDyKXsXVwX5vCNAELMPIcoIZHlXnx2RsNj8YJEh1u_STDxgrVDtdCmD1P-hRWWct6j3v5tFZT8N46RT

Monarch could just take land from actually reasonable areas where people would want to use the train, instead of putting it between nowhere and nowhere, and then still failing to build anything over 10 years
>>
>>2060064
because it grows slowly and needs a lot of space.
>>
>>2061221
>Fuck this fake virus
Corona denial should be a crime
>>
>>2065446
why
>>
>>2065446
No one says it doesn't exist. Just that it's a meme virus.
>>
>>2065460
I HAVE A 0.01% CHANCE OF DYING
>>
>>2064352
>Why has bitcoin taken off so much ?
The real reason is to build up energy consumption to promote electricity generation capacity for the eventual adoption of electric cars. There will be a rugpull of Bitcoin in the future when it’s purpose has been served.
>>
>>2062256
If it’s not rotting then just reuse the wood.
>>
>>2065446
>death rates barely elevated
go /diy/ your own vaccine and leave us be
>>
>>2064665
>bitch half the country isn't working because the government said they can't.
And that’s why they are using their government gibs to buy wood and do projects around the house. They are being productive with their time by improving their biggest asset, their home. I don’t hate the working people at all, I would have done the same fucking thing but I work in an “essential” service and did not have to time to put into such projects. I saw so many people who live around me doing lumber based improvements to their house during the lockdowns.
If everyone got government gibs to stay home a lot of people would use their free time to consume products to occupy that time. This is what has happened, and it’s inflationary pressure has pushed the price up on nearly everything.
>>
>>2066875
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>2065446
Virus isnt fake, its just not worse than the flu
>>
>>2060064
because the cheapest yellow pine still takes 20 years to make, retard
>>
>>2060311
Is this a coded message?
>>
>>2060312
>>2064789
Came here to post this
>>
File: 1616628560836.png (689 KB, 640x607)
689 KB
689 KB PNG
>>2069081
>>2066735
>>2065460
Keep up the good fight Soldiers.
>>
I tried telling them. I tried.
Now I don't care anymore.

The $200.00 loaf of bread.
>>
File: image-20210327_061542.jpg (1.11 MB, 2688x1512)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
Every time we miss cut, or overcut a piece of wood I keep it.

I work at a hardwood sawmill now, part time, for free wood.

We don't sell to the public. I've been collecting timbers and railroad ties made from hickory, oak, and walnut
>>
File: IMG_20210324_165443.jpg (1.42 MB, 1512x2688)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
>>2069190
But that means I have to dimension my own number with the planer and the table saw etc. my boards are always 10 ft to 16 ft long too so normally I chop them in half with a chainsaw and put them in my car.
>>
File: IMG_20210320_061757.jpg (1.47 MB, 1512x2688)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
>>2069190
The edger helps
>>
>>2069190
Where are you and will you sell me some?
>>
>>2069111
>>
>>2060064
It doesn't grow on trees
>>
>>2069201
I'm in Tennessee, middle, and sure. I'll practically give it to you.

You know that as roughs on lumber you have to let it dry and dimension it yourself right?
>>
Ive got a downed, huge pine tree in my front yard. Could I give it for free to someone to cut up and haul away or is that stupid
>>
>>2064198
Is OSB expensive where you're at? it's like 15 bucks a sheet here, regular plywood jumped to 150 bucks though.
>>
>>2065446
Hang yourself faggot
>>
File: 1592649928700.jpg (9 KB, 255x253)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>2060065
but i've been trying to do that less
>>
>>2069081
>its just not worse than the flu
It is.
>>
>>2069700
If someone will take it for free, go for it. Most people will charge for the service.
>>
>>2069693
Damn, I'm all the way in Washington. And not the DC one either.

No problem otherwise. I have garage space and planes and a hording habit.
>>
>>2069748
If you're weak AIDS faggot.

For fucks sakes, all northern flu shitholes like Finland and Sweden didn't have lockdowns at all, because it is a fucking flu. Everyone gets it every year. This time chink developed one that works in warm shitholes like Italy, and they... oh boy. They are scared in warm shitholes by a flu, since they have like 18C in winter and man... Lockdowns, mask and shit... And a result? Fucking economy pizdec, still no immunity, and idk, politicians use some meme flu to lock down population. In-sane. Even fucking russia stopped doing this, nobody cares anymore.

Real virus are politicians. They caused so many dead nerve cells you won't believe.
>>2065446
Corona is a flu. It is real, but it is not a concern at all. Go get corona, not big deal. If you had flu before, same energy.
>>
>>2065446
Faggot
>>
>>2069785
You are an idiot. You are spouting half understood nonsense that is getting people killed just because you don't want to be inconvenienced. Use your head for more then a hat rack.
>>
>>2069848
>that is getting people killed just because you dont want to be inconvenienced
he says, as he puts millions out of a job and school. oh but no we have to save grandma!
fuck yourself
it is a fact that the measures taken have done more damage than the virus would have.
>>
>>2069761
>and planes

the people on /diy/ are so much different than greater 4chan. I guess that's true of a lot of boards though

like /k/ those guys all love eating chocolate mixed with cum
>>
>>2069785
>Go get corona, not big deal. If you had flu before, same energy.

PS: Similar to herpesviruses, it hangs out in your nerves forever and never leaves your body

enjoy multisystem inflammatory syndrome in 3-5 years
>>
>>2061221
>Fuck this fake virus and fuck these fake POS politicians and their social engineering. It's screwing us. I can barely do my job

modern people literally can't comprehend anything bad happening. you think life is all rainbows and unicorns
>>
>>2069871
he literally just said there was a problem though? or are you so brain washed that the idea of politicians social engineering us just deflects off your skull.
>>
>>2069865
well the science doesnt know if thats true yet so stop spreading misinformation thanks
>>
>>2069848
It is their fault, they were licking public toilets and idk.
>>2069865
Not everyone is AIDS faggot to have issues with it
>>
>>2060064
Stock up while you can OP. You ain't seen nothing yet. There is nothing more expensive than a free lunch.
>>
>>2060921
>if you buy in bulk

Lumber trader here. I add 5% markup for every few thousand board feet you want.
>>
>>2061221
>During the lockdown they closed the mills and sent all our logs to China

This didn't happen.
>>
>>
>>2070153
Wait. So the more I buy the more you charge per unit? That... That makes no sense.
>>
>>2070213
Yes that's correct. This isn't peanut butter at Costco. If you need 10 carloads of OSB you're desperate. This isn't just me it's standard practice in the industry from the mills down to wholesalers down to small yards.
>>
>>2069721
OSB is more expensive than plywood in North America right now.
>>
>>2062753
>Residential construction is booming
Correct
>COVID19 has damaged the supply chain
Not really correct
>>
>>2064665
>The billionaire class added almost 2 trillion dollars to their net worth during the pandemic. Barely my fucking ass, that's a lie. Stop watching television.

We were talking about doing better or worse due to tax cuts specifically. Not how they did the last few years in general. Keep up.
>>
>>2066875
>but I work in an “essential” service

Let's be fair. The ruling that handjobs for senior politicians is an essential service was dubious at best.
>>
>>2070213
to elaborate, because >>2070263 is a cunt, big orders dig into fuel and labor more than small orders do
>>
File: 1606863860924m.jpg (90 KB, 819x1024)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>the billionaire class
people really need to stop using words wrong. billionaires are an economic category not a social class.
>>
>>2064167
Domestics at my local place havent gone up at all.
>>
>>2060311
>>2069100
let's try to solve it
>DWHITFATWWHLWOWAISRIMISHWIS
>>
>>2062176
futures are the bane of civilization and business, it ONLY BENEFITS THE UNGODLY RICH

Also wood takes over half a year to dry out naturally in dry basements(dehumidifiers), using a kiln to dry the wood either burns off gas($$$) or uses half the original wood($$) which reduces the amount of wood available for savings on their end, not ours.
>>
>>2072571
doesn't seam to be base64, ceaser cypher neither
>>
File: Shitbrained.jpg (11 KB, 300x252)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>2070517
>>
>>2072598
thats not a refutation, its barely even a coherent thought. more of a gutteral emotional response really.
now post words
>>
>>2072722
There are times where someone says something so nonsensical it leaves one speechless. To even begin to refute your statement I'd have to gear myself down to "winning the special Olympics" levels. Which is unpleasant, to say the least, so I won't.
>>
>>2072765
billionares are not a class, this isnt even an opinion its a fact. google what a fucking class is then fuck off kid.
>>
>>2062199
based block poster
>>
>>2069785
getting pozzed to own the libs
>>
>>2060468
/thread
>>
>>2070517

They're an economic class. If you're going to be pedantic, sociology recognizes the existence of several parallel class systems.
>>
>>2060064
It is 100% due to out of control inflation, because the Bien Regime wants to pay nigs to not work
>>
For those of you in the PDX shithole with me, there's https://freewoodportland.com/ if you are prepared to mill your own lumber. I kind of want to try it out and try hand hewing/hand ripping my own boards. My doctor says I need to get some exercise to get my cholesterol down anyway.
>>
>>2069865
>Get "safe" and "effective" vaccine
Coronavirus still enters your nervous system and you also get to have multiplie inflammatory conditions as well as increased risk of cancer and heart problems for the next 20 years.
>>
>>2069748
No, it really is not.
>>
>>2063689
Yeah, grocery prices are skyrocketing these days. All that new money has to go somewhere, and it can't all be the stock market.
>>
>>2064331
It's easy. They just dick around with the 'market basket" to include stuff that goes down in price: consumer electronics, etc.
>>
>>2060916
Find that hard to believe when the spot price is literally up like 5x from this time last year. Cost is cost, they aren't gonna lose money to run a small business.
>>
>>2065446
You should be killed.
>>
>>2074086
you first, faggot.
>>
Made this a few weeks ago.
>>
>>2069785
No it's not. I have it right now. You're fucking insane.
>>
>>2074121
I had it last September. Was it fun? Nope. Is it the sickest I have ever been? Nope. Body aches, bad headache, low fever. Absolutely zero respiratory effects. Mt wife and I had a severe respiratory illness several years ago which permanently effected her lungs. She shook off covid with really no symptoms.
>>
>>2069785
Go back to FB Boomer.
>>
>>2074064
Commodities traders are expecting a 5X rise in the cost of basic food goods over the next 3-5 years.
>>
>>2074104
Fuck off with your political virus farce
>>
Get a pallet connection. I live a few miles from a Hyundai supplier plant and they let anyone have as many as they want. Some of them are really nice. I got a few the other day that were made out of 2x6 and 5'x3' pieces of 3/4" plywood. Untreated sadly though, I'll probably just put motor oil on it.
>>
>>2073755
are you being intentionally retarded? nobody uses "billionare class" to mean the economic slot. it is exclusively used to refer to retards imagined world where all billionares get their money the same way, have the same culture, and all go to the same parties.
>>
>>2062210
this. grocery prices double but because people can't go fly or drive somewhere to be degenerates, that averages into inflation calculations so the politicians say duuuur low inflation, keep printing.
>>
>>2062870
>not using m2
ngmi
>>
>>2074165
They discontinued the M2 metric last week to hide inflation data better
>>
>>2070213
Welcome to commodities
>>
>>2060065
This
>>
>>2060114
Lutherie is actually a hobby I'd like to get into, could you give me pointers as to what the hell is going on with all the maple species ?

I've done a bit of research on that, and from what i could gather, 3 species are interesting :
- red american maple / acer rubrum
- acer pseudoplatanus
- bosnian maple (which apparently is a acer platanoides)

Being a yurofag, I have interest especially in the latter ones, but I'm wondering if there's a significant difference between both when it comes to violin making, and it's pretty hard to find info from that perspective
>>
>>2064421
Kek
>>
>>2060064
Because you faggots build houses out of it.
>>
>>2061080
If Trump won the lock downs would end, with sleepy Joe they will go on indefinitely
>>
>>2075371
Biden is based and drumpf is retarded
>>
>>2075955
this, been a while since weve had a pedo in chief. its about damn time.
>>
>>2064331
It is. They removed housing from inflation calculations in the 80s
>>
>>2060064
Inflation.

Yes, really. We are seeing the effects of hyperinflation already on certain commodity prices. By next year the price of food will be in the beginnings of hyperinflation, like 3x as expensive.
>>
>>2076146
>tfw get to watch the merican people hang their leaders for fucking up the best economy in the world
>>
>>2060315
T H I S
H
I
S
>>
>>2060100
>>2060064

Thank trump for putting tariffs on Canadian wood.
>>
File: Saruman - Burn It!.jpg (118 KB, 1920x1080)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>2060064
>>
>>2069721
41 bucks a sheet. Fir 2x4s almost $6. It's almost cheaper to build stuff out of mild steel where I am right now.
>>
>>2060064
>The Coof among other things, has driven interest rates down
>Low interest rates means less paid back in loans/mortgages
>Cheaper mortgages means people are more willing to buy homes
>Demand for houses and by extension, lumber goes up
>This rise in demand raises the equilibrium price for said goods
Tldr some chink ate a bat and that's why a 1x6 pine board costs $20
>>
>>2064421
Kek II
>>
>>2074116

I like it. Is it stained already? If it was a touch richer it would look almost look like a mid century modern piece and you could charge $$$.
>>
>>2076755
Thank you Trump for getting the ball rolling on an independent american wood economy
>>
>>2074116
That's very nice anon. Does it have a drawer?
>>
>>2076755
I'm Canadian and wood is equally overpriced here though.
>>
>>2064551
anon, i....
bro, just steal wood, its literally so easy fellow squamish anon. Go to fraser wood, fill a truck up and take it, stupid easy, been doing for years lol
>>
>from a video talking about wood prices 10X'ing
>>
>>2060907
What types of wood are you after? And what size pieces and do they need to be dried or sealed or anything?
>>
>>2074116
Did you use pre-existing plans, or did you design it? Looks really nice
>>
>>2069848
>>2069748
People for years have been confusing influenza with the common cold. The seasonal flu kills people, a lot of people, it just doesnt get the propaganda treatment that Covid does.
>>
Here's to living large by living small.
>>
>>2080476
Cheers to that, motion of the oceans beats the size of the boat all day every day.
>>
>>2076755
>>2079204
Can confirm, wood prices in Canada are equally high
>>
>>2080859
One of my coworkers neighbor is a driver for a lumber warehouse. He claims the warehouses are full, just not enough drivers. That's the claim anyway.
>>
>>2074165
this
>>
>>2074238
The FED looks at PCE, the easiest to game inflation metric.
>>
>>2060312
geg
>>
>>2080862
Ohh that was your co workers neighbour who said that? How about you suck my crud you gossipping pos
>>
>>2081239
I can spoon feed you my shit, if you want to meet up.
>>
File: KIMG1213.jpg (3.67 MB, 3840x2160)
3.67 MB
3.67 MB JPG
Cut your own.
>>
Yeah you reddit faggots are retarded. Corona mortality rates are similar to some modern flus (and significantly lower than Spanish flu), the real problem is that Corona spreads very easily.
>>
>>2074426
Commodities like potatoes, corn, sugar are cheaper in bulk. Way, way cheaper.
>>
>>2074151
Got fucking told bro, accept it instead of digging yourself deeper.
>>
>>2064242
Rentfree
>>
>>2064327
This
>>
File: 1618221499753.webm (706 KB, 600x900)
706 KB
706 KB WEBM
>>2064421
>>
File: 1613312087765.png (229 KB, 506x328)
229 KB
229 KB PNG
>>2064789
If only
>>
File: 20040209_400.jpg (68 KB, 400x529)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>2069081
I wonder what world ending virus we will get next year
>>
>>2069343
Rentfree
>>
>>2069748
Lies. I had it and barely had the fucking sniffles. Like 15 other people I know had it. Only 1 missed a day of work...
>>
>>2069848
No u. Go get the flu.

Every single year there's a new and exciting flu. Corona is no different than bird flu swine flu or zika
>>
File: 1617792995569.jpg (22 KB, 227x294)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>2070456
>>
>>2075368
Rentfree
>>
>>2075371
He did win. Rigged elections full of dead voters and illegals don't count
>>
>>2060064

it's not just wood. everything is getting more expensive. welcome to the big reset. we all will be saying shit like our parents do, i remember when gas was 96 cents a gallon and a sheet of plywood was $18.
>>
>>2082830
I wonder what actually goes on in the head of people who say this.
They know what they are saying is not even remotely ntrue. They know what they are saying can be dangerous. They know what they are saying makes them look fucking stupid.
Yet they still spout the same misinformation over and over.

Why?
>>
>>2082878
My team > your team, no matter the cost. Politics has been reduced to a spectator sport.
>>
>>2082878

It's natural. Some people are erring on the side of it being the worst plague ever. So others say it's nothing at all. You take any issue where there's ambiguous information and this happens. Attempts to suppress debate and demand that everyone assume the worst only feeds the fire. It's bad but it's not the apocalypse. People can see that with their own eyes so pretending it is just makes people think the whole thing is baloney.

The flu can be pretty fucking bad. Up to a hundred thousand dead in a really bad year (usually the elderly or people already in very bad health). Spanish flu deaths went into the millions, and politicians and experts fucked up on an epic scale trying to deal with that one. Even recently, flu epidemics typically kill about 50k people per year in the USA alone.

So where's covid? Much worse than a typical flu, nowhere near as bad as a couple of the worst flus. Spanish flu went after able bodied people in their prime. Covid 19 mainly (mainly not always) hits people with major health problems and the elderly. If you're under 40 and in good health, you are probably taking bigger risks just in your daily life. If you're in a high risk group (old, sick, or overweight) you need to be very fucking careful and be sure to get vaccinated immediately.

A lot of this is the attitude that Even One Death Is One Too Many. That's great on a bumper sticker but in real life we run calculated risks all the time.
>>
File: apu the calm.jpg (110 KB, 851x843)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>2082960
>A lot of this is the attitude that Even One Death Is One Too Many.
But the "worst plague ever" people aren't consistent with this, as they are saying death or complications from the vaccine are worth it.

At any rate, the internet seems to make people go to one extreme or the other on issues. Look at /biz/ talk about any inflation at all, they start screaming that it will lead to hyperinflation, or if the the market is down a bit, they think it is the big crash. Look at how many people on 4chan call any woman in yoga pants a whore. Hell, in Baldur's Gate 3, there is a "romanceable" character, and if you reject her, then she goes with someone else in the party, half of /vrpg/ is saying that means she cucks you. Something about the internet just makes people extreme
>>
>>2082756
>Corona mortality rates are similar to some modern flus
Almost exactly, strangely enough. The flu death rate is down 98% in the past year. What a coincidence!
>>
>>2083064
The flu and covid both race to kill people. Covid got a nice pair of Nike ZoomX Vaporflies. Flu got stuck with a pair of Buster Brown mall striders. Of course Covid is going to win the race.
>>
>>2082811
There was one when Obama was president too. The media went nuts for about two weeks and then all of a sudden stopped talking about it at all. It was weird how it was like someone flipped a light switch and it just stopped (the media coverage, not the virus). On the good side of things, because of that one, I was well stocked for this one. Tons of masks, storage bins for bulk food (though all gone so it would have needed to be replenished), masks, disinfectants (we use them for camping anyway), even had a full respirator set.
>>
>eurofags: why do usafags build everything with wood?
>usafags: we have plenty of wood!
>same usafags: why wood so expensive?
>>
>>2083033
You have some carrots points but girls in yoga pants ARE whores.
>>
>>2081588
will do. lemme just unroll that motherfucker into a flat 4x8 sheet
>>
>>2083104
Wood being expensive is a very recent thing. We're already seeing people increasingly buying resin shed instead of wood. If wood prices remain high, expect to see replacements become more popular.
>>
>>2064665
>>2064665
/thread
>>
>>2082761
>accept wrong information because i like the way the guy said it
how about no? hes wrong, end of story.
>>
>>2084044
asspained little bitch boy
>>
Time for a stupid question. The instructions for this joist (https://www.strongtie.com/resources/product-installers-guide/lus-installation) say to use 10d "for single 2x," while 16d is used "for all other than single 2x." What does this mean? 10d when only putting a single 2x4 in place, right?
>>
A month ago 8' landscape timber was $3.80 each and I thought that was crazy expensive since it's usually half that amount. Today they were $5.80 each. What an absolute shitshow.
>>
>>2064551
whats the company name? im on the lookout for wood i can use for external siding, and literally nowhere within 4 hours of my house is selling anything i can use outside. how much did the freight shipment cost?
>>
>>2069864
how do you mean?
>>
>>2084144
So like you need longer nails to go through wood that's thicker.
>>
>>2069721
holy shit ur not kidding
>>
>>2064545
Treated doesn’t have arsenic anymore.
>>
>>2060064
gov forced shutdowns, supplies fell, prices rise.
>>
>>2079856
holy shit RIP based woodnigger.....
that actually sucks
>>
>>2072831
>a number of persons or things regarded as forming a group by reason of common attributes, characteristics, qualities, or traits; kind; sort:
Common attributed: Economical wealth.
>>
File: 1426575676328.jpg (61 KB, 540x411)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
It's literally just because of lowered interest rates on new constructions leading to massive home manufacturing. Jesus Christ it is depressing how stupid most people in this thread are.
https://www.census.gov/construction/nrc/pdf/newresconst.pdf
I don't know if you guys know this but houses are made of wood. There's this thing in economics called "Supply and demand" where if demand increases, let's say "If a lot of people need wood to build houses," but supply stays the same, prices will increase.
What the hell else do you think it could be? A stimulus check to increase economic velocity in an economy where money wasn't moving? Even if it somehow worked out that giving everyone a little over the equivalent of a couple paychecks SOMEHOW drove up prices almost fifty percent (If you haven't realized how stupid that concept is I'm actually amazed you were able to read this far without getting a headache) then why in God's name would you expect it to begin with fucking wood?
>>
>>2087569
Your whole post could just be summarized by
>supply and demand
Lots of people are doing home renovations because they are off work and have time, it's not just building new homes.
>>
>>2083033

Well to be fair, yoga pants are pure garbage.

Otherwise yeah I agree. When the internet first started getting big, we noticed this extremism on the alt.* newsgroups. People figured it was the lack of body language and direct feedback was luring people to spiral out of control.

Now you have two generations raised on it, and sure enough even CNN sounds like usenet these days.
>>
>>2083085
>Nike ZoomX Vaporflies

Coincidentally, also made in china.
>>
File: 1605029453203.jpg (100 KB, 1200x1018)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>2069343
ywnbaw
>>
>>2075316
Go with Bosnian maple and German or Alp spruce if you can. A good North American maple if fine if it has the quilting you're looking for. Acoustically, a good, straight grained spruce is the most important thing. Even plain male or even cherry will work for a body but I'd call it a fiddle and not a violin with a cherry body.
>>
File: 1614467537524.jpg (28 KB, 720x735)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>2060064
>He doesn't grow his own bamboo

NGMI
>>
Hi all I'm a controller at a major home building company.

>>2087569

You are wrong. it's much more nuanced than what your simplistic view makes it out to be. It is fun however watching people who have no idea what they're talking about try to pass as if they do.
>>
>>2090381
Can you fucking faggots just spit some real facts instead of doing shit like this:
>You are wrong. it's much more nuanced than what your simplistic view makes it out to be. It is fun however watching people who have no idea what they're talking about try to pass as if they do.
You haven't actually added any new insider information to the discussion. So what do you have?
>>
File: 1618744088039.jpg (24 KB, 633x714)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
Retarded government lockdowned and destroyed supply chains / economy for over a year due to the seasonal flu with a 99.99% survival rate.
>>
>>2090446
>Retarded government lockdowns
New Zealander here. You're not wrong; the lockdowns are retarded, but only because you're too fucking incompetent to properly lockdown.

Our economy is doing pretty fuckin well right now, especially now that the horticulture industry can't import underpaid seasonal workers and have to pay locals not shit wages.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.