[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: money.jpg (10 KB, 275x183)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
I have $10k I need to spend before August. The money should be spent to support my indoor crop lighting project. I'm planning to build/buy a workbench, plant growth supplies, various electronics, some 8020, and other supplies. Any ideas on what else I can spend the $$ on?
>>
Other items I plan on buying: 3d printer, grow lights, raspberry pis. I already have a hand-drill but other hardware item suggestions are welcome.
>>
Get started and figure out what you need, It will become obvious when you're halfway through your project.
>>
>>2038855
irrigation system. Humidity and temp monitoring sensors that can hook into your Pi.
Mylar sheeting to enclose grow racks to amplify the light. Fans and ducting to get fresh air in and out. Filters if you're growing weed so you don't make the whole neighborhood smell like resin.
>>
>>2038856
thanks for the advice. I'm trying to make headway for this reason but coursework slows progress
>>
>>2038857
it's a federal grant so don't think weed will be a factor. Duly noted on the other advice though
>>
3D printer, laser cutter, SLA printer, mini cnc, mini lathe, power tools
>>
>>2038864
how big are we talking, anyway? How many racks, or how much square footage of growing space? Hydro or dirt? Enquiring minds want to know what you're up to.
>>
>>2038881
lighting is the focus of my project. I will conduct some studies on plants, so I'll probably go as simple/small as possible while able to get reliable data. So I'll likely use media (peat-verm) and several small growth tents
>>
>>2038871
what could the laser cutter be used for? I'm at a uni so I'll probably use their lathe/cnc when that comes up.
>>
>>2038949
a rack would increase the number of plants you could test at a time, but the distance from light to rack would be limited. a grow tent would allow for the most distance, but then you'll need more floor space, depending on how many tents you'll need.
>>
>>2038854
buy an excavator and dig a hole
>>
>>2038855
>hand drill
Why not buy a real electric drill either battery or corded? You could get a rice nice set with extras for about $1000
>>
>>2039410
*real
>>
>>2039405
You find me an excavator for 10k that isn't a pile of shit and I'll buy it.
>>
>>2038854
Hookers and blows
>>
>>2039410
I think he means a cordless drill.

OP, get a recipricating saw, a circular saw, and a couple sets of consumables for each. (bits, blades.)
>>
File: walnuts panacea.jpg (134 KB, 1280x720)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
2,500kg of walnuts
>>
>>2038854
gamestop stock obviously
>>
>>2039410
>$1000
For a freaking power drill and bits? He's basically doing farm work, he doesn't need machine shop quality tools. Makita or Dewalt and a moderately priced chrome-vanadium bit set will do fine.
>>
>>2039410
meant electric drill - got a dewalt

>>2039627
I just ordered a jig-saw. Haven't used a reciprocating so don't really know its use. Also was planning on getting a miter saw for cutting through aluminum extrusions.

>>2039656
already earned a down payment through GME not gonna risk any more
>>
>>2038864
Imagine not using federal funds to build your weed farm
>>
>>2038854
Buy $10k worth of jars and see how many you can fill to the brim with your own shit before you die of old age.
>>
>>2039831
A recip saw is the generic name for a sawzall. It's excellent for fast demo cutting or getting at shit that a circ saw will not be able to get all the way through. The miter saw is a great idea, the sawzall is for shit you can't monkey onto the miter saw. a contractor table saw (the small portable ones), could be worthwhile if you're doing a lot of wood work, but a circ saw and a miter saw can handle most projects if you are careful and set up your pieces properly to cut.
>>
>>2039846
imagine smoking weed

>>2039880
I'll look into it. Dewalt's isn't too expensive in the grand scheme, so I may bite. Any suggestions on battery sizes? I've got a couple 1.5 Ah that came with the drill. I see they get pretty fuckin big (12Ah) but don't know what's obscene/heavy and what is useful
>>
>>2038857
While we are at it, And if you need to experiment a bit, you could add C02 canisters/tanks
Some plants get a little boost in atmospheres with up to 10% to 20% more CO2 than normal,that is up to 480ppm CO2. Requires a valve to regulate CO2 and an infrared CO2 meter.
At no light part of the cycle, CO2 levels should be kept a little lower than in the day.
There are some resources and papers on C02 supplementation in greenhouse environments.
>>
>>2039831
>already earned a down payment through GME not gonna risk any more
just hit 200 in after hours. bet youre feeling foolish now
>>
>>2039980
ill refrain from co2 supplementation. Beyond my scope. Not a bad idea tho

>>2039981
I made my money and bounced. Can't feel too bad

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.