[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 36 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next ~72 hours. Apply here.

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: plumbing.jpg (19 KB, 710x354)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
Brainlet here. The diagram on the left is more or less how a P-trap works in a sink, but what I'm trying to do is make the water line uneven. Would the right diagram accomplish this? I literally don't even know how water works, bros. Not a troll, I have a project in mind that needs this.
>>
>what I'm trying to do is break the laws of physics
really mate ?
>>
It's not possible. Water levels stabilize themselves.
You can achieve it taking advantage of air pressure, though:
https://youtu.be/mz5r_pRKjuM?t=317
>>
You would need higher pressure on the left side. You cannot accomplish this in atmospheric conditions.
>>
File: null.jpg (195 KB, 1480x1137)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
The only way to accomplish this under homogenous atmospheric conditions is using capillary forces.

What the others anons said, you need different air pressure.
>>
Pressure of some sort. What's the project? Maybe we can fake the effect.

>>2038686
Spat my food out.
>>
File: capillary pump.jpg (53 KB, 1108x556)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>2038691
Not OP, but I was thinking about capillarity the other day.
Shouldn't it be possible to build a pump based on it? Probably inefficient, but still doable.
>>
>>2038699
I know you are joking but whatever.
Think of capillary forces as a sponge, it sucks water in but will not let it out unless outside forces are applied.
>>
>>2038748
Not joking, probably just retarded.
You would have the force of gravity to pull it out.
Maybe it would require a complex setup, like gradually increasing the pipes' radius, or opening on side of it, or something.
>>
>>2038699
Pumping water up takes energy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
>>2038762
That picture shows water flowing down. If you raise the left glass higher than the other glass, the left glass will become empty.
>>
>>2038699
Chekt so I'll answer, from an energy standpoint capillary forces work by converting the potential energy of the hydrogen bonds which make the liquid stick to the tube into gravitational potential energy by pulling the liquid upwards. Once everything has been covered by the liquid there's no longer any potential energy left from the hydrogen bonds to be converted into any other kind of energy so the water won't flow, it'll just be stuck in place with a different type of potential energy than it started with.
>>
File: pool.jpg (40 KB, 710x354)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
OP here. Really appreciate the replies

>>2038698
My idea is to have an outside pool with one of its glass walls as part of my house wall so I can look through the water as if it were a window. This would join to a smaller pool inside my house, and you'd be able to swim through a gap in the wall to go into the main pool. Any idea how to achieve this without pressurizing my house?
>>
>>2038799
It's impossible without pressurizing your house. And pressuring a normal house like that is near impossible... if you look at the setup like a pair of hydraulic cylinders, that is a fuckload of pressure you're going to need.
Something like that is possible in a diving bell, but impractical for a house.
>>
>>2038799
It is 100% impossible on Earth to have 2 bodies of water connected but those bodies of water have different surface levels. Your solution is obviously to sink the house down or raise the pool up.
>>
>>2038813
Have you always been retarded or is it just a recent development from eating paint chips?

OP you need to seal the swimming pool airtight to accomplish what you want (pic related) atmospheric pressure on the inside pool will keep water inside the outside pool
>>
>>2038868
>do you think that's air you're breathing?
>>
File: pool.jpg (223 KB, 1343x792)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
>>2038799
>>2038813
Works just fine
>>
>>2038874
kek

Please let anon make his cat bowl pool and swim into it.
>>
>>2038879
Source checks out, start building it for real anon.
>>
>>2038799
You are a fucking idiot, friend
>>
>>2038799
You just need a big pump, that will pump the water up at the same rate as water is trying to flow down. Simple as
>>
File: laugh harder.gif (1.41 MB, 288x198)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB GIF
>>2038799
>>
>>2038879
>Works just fine
in minecraft.
>>
>>2038968
This, just make the bottom pool overflow into an edge like those big pools have, take that water and yeet it the fuck up into the top pool.
Step 78: don't stick your fingers near the drain
>>
File: tegaki.png (10 KB, 400x400)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>2038748
>>2038699
>>2038762

hear me out, bamboo fountain thing with sponges(red)
>>
>>2039201
Wouldn't that still have the "lack of extra force for exiting" problem?
Maybe the vibrations from the hit would help, but I don't think that would be enough
>>
File: 16615655.jpg (32 KB, 800x800)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>2039201
>>2039207
This still breaks the laws of physics...
I'll let you in on a little secret, picrel doesn't actually drink any water.
>>
>>2039207
>>2039210
I know it couldn't possible work, I just don't know why.
>>
>>2039221
Energy follows the path of least resistance. It's that simple.
>>
screw that, Imma feed a water-wheel from B and let it fall down to A. Unlimited free power!
>>
File: oak tree.jpg (437 KB, 1280x853)
437 KB
437 KB JPG
>>2038699
>I was thinking about capillarity the other day.
>Shouldn't it be possible to build a pump based on it?
This mother fucker over here trying to reinvent trees.
>>
>>2039222
what do you mean? if you couldn't tell I am not very bright.
>>
>>2038748
>but will not let it out unless outside forces are applied.
why plants "bleed" tho?
>>
>>2039246
That does beg the question, how the fuck do trees do it.
>>
>>2039253
Gravity is an outside force
>>
>>2039261
https://youtu.be/BickMFHAZR0?t=254
>>
>>2039261
Water keeps evaporating from the leaves. If you take off the leaves, the plant stops drinking water. Also if you take off the roots, the plant quickly loses too much water without being able to drink more and loses vasular pressure.
If you take off equal proportions of the leaves and roots simultaneously, the plant can be okay.
>>
>>2039266
>>2039268
Alright now that's fucking neat. Evaporation pump.
>>
>>2039269
In other words the heat/solar radiation hitting the leaves is the energy being added to the system.
>>
>>2039247
Water particles will go down until they bump into other water particles, so water will be the same height on both sides.
>>
>>2038762
that's not a pump. that's a siphon.
>>
>>2039275
Probably isn't even necessary. If the air is dry enough and the ground is cool enough it could pump in pure darkness. Equilibrium pumps are very nice.
>>
Bro your house is going to be your pool if you build it that close to your house. One heavy rain and you’re going to be posting here for pump recommendations.
>>
File: laughing clams.jpg (52 KB, 700x466)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>2038799
I fucking love this board holy kek
>>
The solution is so obvious. All you need to do is pressurize your pool room to the depth of the pool on the outside. All you need is an air compressor and an airlock. Alternatively the pool acts as an airlock so you could just not have any doors and have the only entrance be through the water.
>>
File: eS1RA.png (258 KB, 467x333)
258 KB
258 KB PNG
Anyone else think this scene was dumb as hell? If it were poisonous gas it would have worked but instead some brainlet writer didn't realise that the toilet drains would fill with water
>>
>>2038868
>OP you need to seal the swimming pool airtight
This is a plan with absolutely no flaws and OP should do this and report back regularly on his progress.
>>
Who's willing to bet that OP is American?
>>
>>2038685
you want to connect both tanks by a swimmer valve, but the supply size is always the one with higher head
>>
>>2038685
May I ask why?
>>
>>2041317
him kicking the mirror is a greater force than the pressure applied by the water volume.
the whole scene was completely retarded.
>>
>>2038879
Alright man. I have an idea. This is a concept and does not take into consideration the specific regulations surrounding building codes wherever you are from, eg. thermal breaks, materials requirements etc.

If you use an overflow drain on the internal pool at the desired level, you could plumb it out to a "sump". This way the water drains out naturally and here is no pump noise internally (you're going to need a pump). The water will have to be pumped back up to the top of the outdoor pool and in effect the "flow" would be similar to a fountain. Keep in mind, this pump would have to run almost constantly which is not great, but the problem you face is that the natural "recirculation" requires water to travel upwards. Also, the difference in height will dramatically affect the flow rate between the indoor and outdoor pool, and in turn would determine the size of the pump required (flow rate). Now you could get tricky and try and use a syphon system to get the water back up to the top, but the real issue here is that almost any failure mode of this system would inundate your home with water. In which case you would need a valve/ shutter to separate the indoor from outdoor in event of an emergency, this would require a control system of sorts. The really difficult part is that you want to be able to swim between them, if you could settle for them just being from the same water source, you could use a dampening system between the pools to "slow down" the flow rate caused by the hydrostatic pressure. No matter which way you go about it, if you want them to be connected, the water level of the inside pool is always going to want to rise to the same level as the outside.
>>2041154
This is a perfect example of how environmental factors can really fuck your day up.

>tldr
You could do this but is it worth it.
>>
>>2042238
no you retard.
its the force of the water pressing on all the glass plus him putting force on on point of the glass
>>
>>2038813
>laughs in panama canal
>>
make A really big and B really small
>>
>>2043447
The Panama canal isn't a single connected body of water. It's divided into sections with different elevations by locks.
>>
>>2043472
think larger
what body of water are both ends of the canal connected to?
the answer may suprise you
>>
File: Panama Canal.png (3.59 MB, 2191x2262)
3.59 MB
3.59 MB PNG
>>2043476
>what body of water are both ends of the canal connected to?
The global ocean/sea. In between the ends, the Panama Canal mostly passes through Gatun Lake and an excavated canal at an elevation of 85 feet above sea level. Different elevations of water are not continuous with each other.
>>
>>2043476
did you actually think the atlantic and pacific oceans were at different elevations?
>>
>>2043505
>>2043554
if wikipedia is correct the difference is about 20cm(8 freedom units)
which still doesnt change the fact my life has been a lie, i was told the difference was huge
>>
>>2043447
You failed reading comprehension.
>>
>>2038879
>Works just fine
What part of "on Earth" did you have trouble understanding ?
>>
File: gd.jpg (33 KB, 474x355)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>2043670
Well, obviously the core concept, Anon.
>>
>>2043670
I violate the law(s of physics(on earth(in minecraft)))
>>
>>2043648
>i was told the difference was huge
What did you think the term "sea level" referred to?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.