[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 149 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next ~72 hours. Apply here.

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: forest_path.jpg (739 KB, 1336x2047)
739 KB
739 KB JPG
>/sqtddtot/ - Stupid questions that don't deserve their own thread

My question:
Is there anything I need to know before casting a concrete walkway? Picture not related.
I am gonna get a bunch of Quikcrete, hopefully for less than $20 in total, to make a walkway that is one inch thick, 12 inches wide, and around 40 feet long. This area is muddy and I want to paint this strip with a yellow double line and white edge lines like it's a little road because I'm autistic like that. Is there a material better than concrete for this, or anything cheaper?

I also want to cast an arched footbridge. I'll probably form the mold with foam boards and keep it supported with sticks or something on the outside during the process. Is there anything I need to know about that before doing this?
>>
>>2029545
Don't use concrete. Honestly, it's a great material in the right application, but for what you are doing, I guarantee you will hate it and regret it. Get some stones, bricks, or some pavers and take your time laying them so they are level and look nice, it will turn out FAR better.

A thin (1" is WAY too thin), narrow, and long concrete path will be lucky to last a few months without cracking all to hell. Plus if you use too much water in the mix, let it freeze, under or over finish it, don't prep the subgrade well, or 100 other things, you'll get even worse cracking/peeling/pitting. (Not to mention you'd have to prepare it in a dozen or more pours, which would end up looking and performing poorly).

I think a footbridge like you mentioned is actually doable though. I'd recommend using wood for the form, or even just filling the area underneath the foam or whatever with dirt until you finish the concrete work. And plan on making it pretty thick, at least 4", but 6" is probably better, regardless of how small the span seems like it would be.
>>
File: road_idea.png (12 KB, 609x534)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>2029562
I'll probably use 12" square patio pavers with Quikcrete in the gaps between the pavers and in the angles of the curves. The bridge is a bullshit project because there's already two cement blocks as a bridge across the little stream with no problems.
Would it be better to use cement and put the path on a sand bedding or bare soil and quikcrete for the jointing?
>>
>>2029589
I'd probably just stick with laying the pavers on a bed of sand. Level the ground as best as you can, put down some plastic to prevent grass and weeds growing underneath, put down some gravel and tamp it down, then throw an inch or two of sand on top, and lay your pavers on the top of that.

Once the pavers are in place, just use sand between them, not concrete. The concrete would crack pretty badly in that application and spall out.

There's plenty of resources on the internet that will walk you through the process, just don't get lazy or (too) cheap and it'll turn out alright. My parents learned that the hard way on a patio they tried to make. Got lazy and halfway through just gave up on the prep work and they just laid the pavers on the ground. They absolutely hate it and they aren't even close to level and they wobble around when you walk on it.
>>
>>2029545
I did not want to start/kill a thread for this so: I have a bass amplifier head which rests on top of a 1x15 speaker cabinet. Unfortunately the head is a bit wider than the cab and the feet only just rest on the cab. I feel that this is too precarious and what with the vibrations that are perforce produced by the cabinet could lead to catastrophe. Any ideas on how to rectify this? I do not want to move the feet, although I could. Aesthetics isn't very important as I will probably never play out again and I don't give a shit anyway.
>>
>>2029646
Maybe you could fashion some corner brackets that the feet can slide into, and that will in turn clamp on the cab.
>>
>>2029908
This is a good idea, capturing the feet. A bit of angle could do it. Thank you.
>>
I have this cheap generic bathroom fan with hygrometer that is supposed to turn on when it gets humid (ie when showering).

Thing is it won’t turn on during showers even when it’s foggy, but I found out as soon as I breathe into the sensor it starts to run for like an hour. It’s on the lowest setting (60% according to chinglish manual) already.

Did I mount it wrong or something?
>>
We just did the house with USB-A plug sockets. Now USB is the new standard. Is there actually any advantage to replacing the sockets, or are USB-A to USB-C cables just as good for charging purposes?
>>
>>2030036
Update: it’s at 60% setpoint but the ambient humidity is 65%, so it should have been on all the time and now it won’t stop. So it appears it just won’t turn on unless I blow into it, could that be the motor?
>>
>>2030058
Clean the hydrometer. Might be goobers in it or bad connection.
>>
Why do my soldering iron tips get fouled so fast? It’s happening on 2 different brand new irons, a Lexivon butane iron and a random chinkshit 30watt electric iron. It happens even at the lowest setting on the Lexivon. I’m using flux and cleaning the tip with wire mesh. Is it possible that the cheapo solder from china doesnt have enough flux in it and that’s making the tips oxidize so fast? Thanks for reading my blogpost
>>
>>2030288
...and I am tinning the tips before I solder btw
>>
>>2029545
My grandma's got an 05 equinox that I'm pretty sure has a blown head gasket, but I want to be sure before I take a week off work to fix it for her, does the 3400 have timing marks on the crank pulley or something to find tdc, because there really isn't room to stick a screwdriver down the spark plug holes in the back to see when the piston hits the top
>>
File: dongs.png (5 KB, 421x265)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
Brainlet here, I need to run a device that has + and - rails. Will two power supplies like pic related work? Do they need a common ground or anything funky?
>>
>>2030489
almost, the bottom supply is backward and needs its + connected to the 0V rail. be sure the supplies are isolated from the mains

>>2030288
leave solder on them at all times. wipe the tip just before you make a joint and put solder back on the tip if you're going to leave it sit for more than a minute or so, including storage while cold
also, temperature-regulated irons don't burn thru tips as quickly
>>
File: 20210214_065817.jpg (746 KB, 1920x1440)
746 KB
746 KB JPG
The top strap of my Headset is loosing its coating. Does anyone have a better idea than using duct tape?
>>
>>2030515
Self-fusing rubber wrap.
>>
had about a foot of snow over the last few days.
now my entire neighborhood is covered in an inch or two of water and my toilet is gurgling when i run the water. my septic is probably all backed up, right? if i just give it time without using any water should it bounce back ok?
>>
>>2030520
thanks
>>
>>2029594
Those plastic weed mats only last a few years. Waste of money.
>>
I have a bench/chest in my porch porch with glass. The porch stays about -5C° when it's -10C° outside but I'd like to have the chest to stay at +1C° do I can keep my beer and carbonate water there. What's the cheapest possible options for this?
>>
File: scraps.jpg (120 KB, 1280x720)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
I got some leather scraps and they're pretty decent but a lot of them are really soft and supple and flex a lot when trying to get good cuts. I've tried the oven trick(soaking, baking, and letting them dry for a day) but all it did is get rid of the creases. How do I make them more firm and workable?
>>
File: 20210214_134756.jpg (2.81 MB, 1944x2592)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB JPG
First time working inside of a panel. I am trying to connect a new circuit to the third breaker from the bottom on the right.

Where do I connect the ground? Do I connect it to the same bar as the nueteral?

That seems to be how the other ones were done but I wanted to make sure.
>>
>>2030896
Sometimes there's a separate terminal block for ground. But ground is connected to neutral at the main breaker anyway so you're fine.
>>
>>2030900

Thank you! I was pretty certain. But since this is my first time I didn't have the confidence to go for it.
>>
i have seventy-five footbals what do i do with them
>>
What is the name of the bug killer that smells like rotten cabbage? nana used to get it from someone from the south and it worked really well on pest (ants/roaches) and killed them good.
>inb4 ask your nan
she passed so I can't.

Search results aren't giving me what I'm looking for, they're showing me everything but what I want
>>
>>2030879
I have 3/8 inch leather what do I with it other than belts?
>>
>>2031192
medieval shit of some sort maybe?
soles?
>>
>>2030433 know
How do you it’s the head gasket? Chevys have wet intake manifolds so if you’re seeing a milkshake it could just be the intake gaskets.
>>
How the hell do I move this damn thing? I need to move it about 10 metres, going into the next room and down a ~6in step. It’s an authentic Beale player piano and almost an antique (made 1923), not super valuable b/c they were mass-produced in the interwar period, but I still want to keep it and treat it reasonably well, maybe even learn to play it one day. Heavy as fuck since Beale pianos have an all iron tuning system instead of a timber tuning block (cause of something about keeping in tune in Australian climates), I reckon it’s at least 350kg. Do I need to spring for professional piano movers or can I just get a few strong mates around?
>>
>>2030505
Thanks anon. I got through a whole project today by following your advice to tip and tin more often. I also made sure to tin with name brand solder so maybe that helped.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.42 MB, 1008x756)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB PNG
>>2031293
I don't know for sure it's a head gasket, I've got a leakdown tester and a compression tester I'm gonna use to find out for sure. Compression first, because i can't be bothered to drag even my portable compressor out there unless the compression tester reads funny, but I wanted to know if there was an easier way to find tdc than shoving something down the sparkplug hole, since there's not much room between the engine and the firewall for the back three cylinders.

Thanks for the intake manifold hint though, I knew it had a two piece manifold but wasn't thinking along those lines. I replaced a cracked head a few years ago and was assuming I fucked it up or something.
>>
>>2031295
Get some friends to help, or consider lifting it onto a rolling dolly for the flat sections
>>
>>2029545
my shitbox jeep sounds like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvmZ1xNTzAE
i think the pinion bearing is going out. i dont want to completely take apart the diff. can i do any harm by just taking out the driveshaft and still drive in fulltime 4wd?
>>
>>2029594
this. buy sand/ substrate
rent a compacter
if you properly compact a smooth even base to lay tiles on you will save so much bullshit and get something nice.
>>
>>2031368
is that all there is to it? just get some mates and move it like it's a super heavy couch? I might grab a dolly, they seem pretty cheap, but still not sure how to approach the step - unless it's literally a matter of picking it up and stepping down with it...
>>
Are nylon brushes like pic related good for removing light rust from steel without scratching the surface too much or should i stick with brass brushes?
>>
File: wiring.png (27 KB, 545x714)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
Can I wire this USB switch without frying both of my computers? Are the diodes necessary and what kind would I use? From what I've read I want Schottky diodes but I don't know what to look for specifically.
>>
>>2031682
I think I drew it the wrong way around. Bottom lines go to the computers and it would make more sense for diodes to be there.
I'm not very good at this please help
>>
why are kitchen sinks smaller, rounded, and less useful than a kitch sink? Where are some multifunctional bathroom sinks at?
>>
File: Untitled.png (13 KB, 1166x650)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
Shitty mspaint drawing but

What tool could I use to take off just a little bit of the edges of two boards, at 45 deg like in bottom pic, but without taking the boards out individually.

I was thinking something like a chisel but with a corner in it but I have no idea what this kind of tool would be called. I don't have a router, do have a dremel though
>>
>>2031705
Just get a harbor freight router
>>
>>2030944
Give them to orphanages
>>
>>2030515
Buy a new headset
>>
>>2030050
Yes, charging is usually overnight anyway. Even usb a fully charges in a hour.
>>
File: s-l640[1].jpg (45 KB, 640x360)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>2031705
Chisel would work but you'd need a very steady hand or it would be uneven. A small block plane used by hobby crafters (picture related) would probably be better. Maybe ever a wood rasp.
>>
Why are over the range microwaves with exhaust a thing? A heavy microwave over a stove seems like a bad idea, and they are all ginormous, and hard to put things in and take out.
>>
Anyone got advice for lifting paving slabs laid on a full bed of mortar?

We had a "builder" relay our patio but he's done a completely shit job of it. The slabs are incredibly uneven and not level.

I am trying to lift the slabs and relay them but as they are on a full bed it's proving to be total fucker to do it. I'm having some luck with a plugging chisel and working in through the sides but does anyone have a faster way?
>>
File: 20210215_145117.jpg (2.39 MB, 4032x3024)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB JPG
Cleaning out fridge of new place >Water filter lines are heavily caulked
>Water comes out slowly from dispenser
Leave it or try to remove it and look for underlying problems?
>>
File: 20210215_145122.jpg (2.28 MB, 4032x3024)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB JPG
>>2032043
I dont know why it rotated the picture so this should give a better idea of where
>>
>>2031366
You should be able to deduce tdc of those cylinders by where the others are. It's a shitty solution but it's cheaper than buying a harbor freight borscope or something.
>>
>>2032043
Bro, right up there in at the top of that water line is a water filter inside your fridge; it's probably clogged and needs to be cleaned or replaced. The caulking has nothing to do with this.
I'd bet money that the water filter is the issue.
>>
>>2032073
Yeah I was going to replace the filter anyway, just didnt know if caulking like that is normal
>>
I work a soul crushing desk job that pays well, benefits cannot be beat and most of my work can be done within 2 hours. However it drains my life and there's nothing I value from it. I don't have a family that I need to support and my spouse actually makes more than me. Anyways, to change my life 180 degrees, is there any apprenticeships, not laborer, that'll take me on without having any real background in said field? I do diy wood working and mechanical work but nothing serious. Ive been thinking diesel tech would be really cool but im open to about anything. I have a degree in math so Im not totally retarded. I just do not want to go back to school for a job again.
>>
File: Untitled.png (101 KB, 1224x1920)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
can I put two hydraulic brakes in one pair caliper?

see pic related for what I'm trying to do.
>>
>>2031761
Space saving double up exhaust hood. Not a fan of them but when configured to vent external they seem to do the job. They actually hang on a wall mounted bracket and held on top by the bolts.
>>
Why are some doors lever+pad instead of 2 levers?
>>
File: -WvKsL.gif (1.82 MB, 320x240)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB GIF
My cars "infotainment control module" is dead new costs $450 and most are software locked to the car.
Can I connect an input directly to a cars Amp and jury rig a power switch to circumvent the ICM control?
Is there a guide for something like this? All searches lead to installing a new amp. I will ask /o/ if no answer here.
>>
>>2029545
is this cgi?
>>
>>2032816
>most are software locked to the car
Is this true? I've dropped chink 2-din replacements into a few cars and never had an issue
>>
>>2032900
My car has software locks on a few electronics. It is not typical. When I was on an old Camry I had an old single DIN that I replaced easily.
I would have to disasemble most of my car to get to the ICM, and I have no guarantee the fix would work. And it would be roughly $1000 to do. Its fucking gay.
>>
File: IMG_0169.jpg (669 KB, 1224x1632)
669 KB
669 KB JPG
Can you still wrap ducts even with minimal clearance like this?
>>
File: IMG_0167.jpg (692 KB, 1224x1632)
692 KB
692 KB JPG
forgot pic. why is my gas furnace leaking here? theres one large PVC that goes up and out that exhausts steam out the side of the house and two smaller pvc pipes ~1" that drain down into the sump well, but why is there water here?
>>
When I run my dishwasher, my sink near it fills with water for abit.

I intend to get this fixed, but what I need to know now is: Does this water that enters the sink come into the dishwasher and spread on my dishes?
>>
>>2033417
Post pics under your sink. Do you have a garbage disposal? Is it leaking water from the top portion of the sink from the diverter? Probably on the right?

I have mice in my walls. I live in a condo ( own) no idea where they are coming from so I can’t plug or deter completely. I know they are behind one wall in particular. I drilled a hole in the wall taped a box to it with baited traps. Any other method to get them out? Haven’t checked what access the have from attic. But there are none in the house. No droppings in pantry or kitchen. Everything is cleaned and just went through and threw out a lot.
>>
File: 20210217_035016.jpg (3.42 MB, 4032x3024)
3.42 MB
3.42 MB JPG
>>2033438
I'm going to dump a lot of pictures, so excuse me.
The black rubber pipe was lower but after reading about how its supposed to be pinned upward, I went and repositioned it some.
>>
File: 20210217_035022.jpg (2.78 MB, 4032x3024)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB JPG
>>2033438
Another pic
>>
File: 20210217_035250.jpg (2.94 MB, 3024x4032)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB JPG
>>2033438
Indeed, some dripping there when I run water in that side of the sink (right) however its the left side that fills when I run the dishwasher.

I'll be calling my landlord about it, but I need to clean the place up first and do the dishes... But I don't want to be having disposal shit splattered on my dishes, so I'm trying to make sure that's not the case
>>
File: s-l400.jpg (34 KB, 400x400)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
I let the smoke out of my impact driver, so I bought a new motor.

How would I remove and refit the brass gear on the end of the old motor, onto the new one? Just heat and push it on?
>>
>>2033448
It sort of looks like the stop valve on the left has water enter from that copper pipe at the bottom yeah? The water going to your dishwasher from the hot side should have it’s own separate connection. Fresh water going to your dishwasher. Once your dishwasher drains it should cycle up to a little plug on your sink basin and flow back to your garbage disposal. If you remove the little metal cap (there may be two vertical slits in it) under that there should be a plastic cap that may not be tighten as water can come out and that may be what is draining into your sink.
Sorry hope we’re understanding each other. As far as the dripping water is concerned make sure all the ratcheting fasteners are tight. If you don’t have a constant drip and it’s only when you run your dishwasher it isn’t the stop valve.
>>
>>2033448
Me being an idiot about the last part here’s a vid explaining why. It’s called an air gap. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YlSm1vz4QS8
>>
I am fucking boooored what should I make?
>>
>>2033453
>>2033458
I think I understand.. My sink is abit older so it doesn't have one of those air gap things at the top, so I'll have to try to find where the hell it is. Might be inside the dishwasher for all I know. The dishwasher is from the 70s 80s or something as well (remarkably good condition and works fine).

I tried moving the hose around but water still rushes into the sink but quickly leaves it after a few seconds, and disposal side of sink doesn't seem to have any blockage.

I'll try to find the airgap, thanks for the help anon
>>
>>2033470
Mallet
>>
File: driftyboi.jpg (29 KB, 606x856)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>2032235
no you need to connect the drifty boy handbrake in line with the main line to the back
your setup will not work, because one brake cylinder is open and pressure will not build up

this setup is not optimal, the handbrake cylinder will leak over time because it gets pressurized from the wrong side and will break sooner or later. Disabling your braking system.
dedicated calipers are better
there are usually adapters for the most commom drift boy cars
there are videos about that topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbYWIlVv4Rg
>>
Are there any 6v CR20 style batteries? I'm looking and can't find any. Hvae to replace the battery in a cheap remote that came with 2 stacked cr2016s. It would be a lot cleaner & more stable connections if I could just use one cell.
>>
>>2033936
The answer is no.
>>
>>2032957
If it’s leaking at that dark spot in pic then that rubber hose is probably cracked at the bottom replacing the hose would be the easiest thing and making sure it is nice and snug. While it’s off make sure nothing else is damaged.
>>
File: TRIGGERING PHOTO.jpg (111 KB, 1564x937)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP PUTTING THESE BATHS UP AGAINST WALLS
HOW THE FUCK
YOU CAN'T CLEAN BEHIND THEM
>>
I have a solar powered irrigation setup for my lawn and garden; The pump runs at 12v & over 300w at peak (per spec). Behind this i have a pair of 12v gel batteries wired in parallel, and a pair of 100w panels wired in series with a solar charge controller.

So my question is, from a battery longevity (working lifespan/discharge cycles) standpoint would it make sense to do everything at 24v and just get a buck converter ($40) for knocking down the voltage for the pump (at say a 15% loss in efficiency)? Basically my concern is with the high current i'm running the risk of trashing my batteries. So for example with a 24v setup the draw would be ~13 amps vs ~26.
>>
File: Screenshot (435).png (537 KB, 565x881)
537 KB
537 KB PNG
Why does no one talk about ECAM?
>>
>>2031295
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKAW28Bu2Q8
>>
File: 1612884173282.jpg (270 KB, 1588x1588)
270 KB
270 KB JPG
>>2029545
Thinking on making a dining table with one of these and some pieces of wood. Any design ideas? Maybe one iron leg and one wood leg...
Anyone has make a thing like this?
>>
Your guests are going to slam their feet into that monstrosity.
>>
File: 1611156605477.jpg (211 KB, 719x674)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
>>2034538
Sorry, you and your cats*
>>
>>2034087
Damn. Was hoping I was just being a moron and missed it. Thanks.
>>
I am painting a wall and also putting up built in shelves. Is it easier to paint the walls then hang and paint the shelves, or put up the shelves first and then paint everything? Or paint the shelves before even hanging them?
>>
>>2034705
bruh..
paint wall
paint shelves
hang shelves
touch up as needed.
>>
File: 20201015_182924.png (397 KB, 500x568)
397 KB
397 KB PNG
>>2034711
That's what I thought, but I thought maybe there was a better way. See pic
>>
>>2034385
cause it sounds like a worse and more complicated EDM
>>
File: 1363602264128.jpg (10 KB, 226x234)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
I got some Behr door paint on my door knob. I fuggin washed and rubbed it for like a solid minute but it's not fully coming off. Should I use paint thinner or will that ruin the finish of the knob? What do?
>>
I'm trying to find pic related and matching pipes in sweden, but for some reason it's really difficult. Am I fucking retarded?
I want to make shelves out of them.
>>
>>2030879
creases are because the leather is from loose grain offcuts, cant be fixed as that is how it grew on the animal. make some wallets and key rings, creases add character
>>
>>2035036
as for the firmness, nothing can really be done that wont dry and crack the leather>>2030879
>>
>>2034912

If you're making shelves out of pipe then yes you are retarded
>>
>>2035041
But it looks great.
>>
>>2034912
try "floor flange"
I think the size specified is for the size pipe which goes by the inside diameter
>https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-Black-Malleable-Iron-Floor-Flange-2-Pack-521-6042P/302148865#questions_answers_full
>>
File: 12938360291358.jpg (107 KB, 1024x1126)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
Didn't see a /wood/ general.
Just getting a 10x14 mini wood lathe - any good suggestions as to what to make besides jumping into pen kits?
>>
I currently have an ASUS VS278Q-P and I've found a good deal on an ASUS VS278Q to finally join the dual monitor master race. I can't seem to find any difference between the two but I would prefer the setup didn't look like shit. Can anyone explain the difference to me?

Pic unrelated.
>>
File: 20210213_114558.jpg (711 KB, 2048x1152)
711 KB
711 KB JPG
Is it normal for condensation to appear inside a mobile home when it's cold out? I feel like the answer is obvious (warm inside /cold outside). Before I put new insulation in and cover with drywall, do I need to put plastic up between the studs to keep the insulation in good shape? Fwiw I have glass mineral wool insulation with ecose technology--basically a plant based instead of formaldehyde binder). Tl;dr should I staple plastic up before putting insulation in?
>>
>>2029589
nah, do the whole thing in quickcrete. years ago my friend got sick of his gravel driveway and poured himself an entire driveway one wheelbarrow of cement at a time. it's the perfect application for your road as long as you score it properly so it doesn't crack up. doing the paver/concrete mix is stupid.
>>
>>2030050
Your post makes no sense. USB plugs are still the standard, the difference between USB-A and USB3 ports is data not charging.
>>
>>2035818
yes? plastic isn't going to hurt anything but your metal is only wet because it's uncovered and the cold outside is causing condensation on the aluminum. if you're rocking a propane heater it will literally make it rain in an aluminum truck cap in the cold, so if you're heating the workspace you're actually making it worse.

so theoretically once you do insulation and drywall the cold aluminum will not contact the humidity in the living space. there should also be drains or seepage gaps so any moisture will not collect but drip out.

so not necessary but do it anyway.
>>
I'm going to be fishing four 12/3 wires and one 10/3 wire through studs and conduit runs between. The problem is I need five wires, so I can't just come off five spools. What's a good method for making sure my five sets of wires are long enough so I don't have to pull a whole run, back it out and measure. This is going through multiple rooms and around walls etc. I also need to buy the 10/3 and don't want to waste money on an entire spool.

How do you estimate how long the wires need to be?
>>
>>2035617
Hot diggity, that was the word, thanks anon!
>>
File: geode.png (11 KB, 533x467)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
I want to build a geodesic dome out of wood but I'm a retard. Where do I put the nails to make it stay together?
>>
i just wanna learn to make do and be as self sufficient as possible when shit breaks down
what skills should i learn? what books should i acquire? what courses can i take? any guidance could help me
>>
>>2029545
Could I ferment miso paste in this kitchen utensil holder without it leeching and poisoning me?
>>
>>2036373
Another picture
>>
>>2034463
Have you googled "Singer dining table" yet?
Shows up some interesting looking ideas.
I would get rid of the pedal though, would probably get in the way a lot.
>>
>>2036373
yes. dishwasher safe > food safe
>>
>>2036311
all of them. all of them. all of th... no, nevermind courses are bullshit.

this is a better question for /out/ or /k/ and depends wholly on how far shit has broken down. like if you have a knife you need to know how to sharpen it on cement or >>2036375 the bottom of anon's miso pot. if you DON'T have a knife you need to know how to fire harden a spear in the short term. starting a fire or hacking together a solar oven? are you building a radio from scratch or do you just need to know how to hook it up to solar power?

if you're starting at the basics how to:
1. build a fire from nothing
2. make a shelter with nothing
3. what plants are edible in your area
4. first aid
5. basic traps
would be the big ones.
>>
>>2034463
that's heavy as fuck for a base, you could get away with a decent 6p dining table without adding supports. so basically just add a top that isn't so big it tips over, longer on the ends.

if you were fucking based you'd make the foot pedal actuate a lazy susan in the middle.
>>
>>2034346
you never seen a mop? it's a cleaning head attached to a long pole, like a swiffer but more dreadlocky. also if that was moved out from the wall the water would just pour out onto the floor.
>>
>>2033445
so drips and shit aside, becasuse those are separate problems (the patina down your copper says it's coming from above) the garbage disposal is probably plummed wrong. But basically the dishwasher pumps water out that black tube. It's waste water so doesn't get on your dishes as waste water, and since it's pumped it's not like it's backing up into the dishwasher. then the water goes into the food processor and should go across and out the main drain.

if it backs up in your left sink, over the food processor, then your food processor is probably full of shit and clogged. do you run it? keep it clean? you can look down it with a light and you should see what looks like the bottom of a blender, sort of a black star or something.

second thing if that cross pipe is full of shit, food etc. it's going to fill the garbage disposal then back up in that sink again.

if it's backing up in the sink without the garbage disposal then it's a clog/blockage down the line, either in the U or further. you should have the same problem if you fill the sink above the garbage disposal and release it all at once.

if you want to fuck with it without your landlord you can stick your hand in the garbage disposal and clean out the shit then run hot water and run it (after removing your hand dumdum). occasionally run it and throw orange peels in it even if you haven't been actively shoving food down it.

if that doesn't help/solve you can take apart all those white pipes by hand unscrewing the white rings. they just fit together with a little triangle shaped white gasket and the rings tighten everything. clean out your sink, put a bucket down and start unscrewing. start with the U and then take off the back bit. you can look down the wall tube and go up to remove the cross tube. clean out the years of shit and put it all back together. don't do draino because then you'll just be handling that shit.
>>
>>2032945
yes
>>
>>2034907
depends on the knob finish. if you can't pick it off with your fingernail, try goo gone then move up to paint thinner.
>>
>>2034346
>YOU CAN'T CLEAN BEHIND THEM
Get a mop, retard
>>
>>2034348
Unless I'm mistaken, you're doing your math wrong. You're going to be pulling the same current from the batteries in both configs (assuming 100% efficiency of the buck converter). 300w /12v is 25 amps, but you aren't passing 25 amps through each battery, but 25 amps total, so 12.5 amps per battery. 300w /24v is 12.5 amps, but that current is passing through both batteries.

BTW, 300w from a 12v pump seems really high.
>>
>>2036671
So my miso pot is safe?
>>
can I weld two rifle barrels together? my marksman rifle blew up near the muzzle I cut the blown part and clean the ends. and, I have a similar shorter barrel lying around but it has higher count of rifling threads inside. can I weld it together?

similar to pic related
>>
>>2036746
Nope.
>>
>>2036769
two barrels have the same inside diameter
>>
Ever since I got a water leak and had to replace my toilet it's been full of minerals. It stinks and looks like piss no matter how much I try to flush it out with bleach.

Idk how to fix it. Pls help
>>
ive got a pepper mill that runs off 6v (4xAA). can i just wack a 9v on there or will it die without a resistor or something?
my goal is to add a bit more pepper crushing power
>>
>>2036773
Toilets normally have a hard, nonporous lining of some type of porcelain or ceramic in the bowl to try to prevent the build up of a film of microorganisms that cause smells and spots.
Some manufacturers do better than others when it comes to the qualities of this coating.
>>
>>2036772
Either you're stupid or your trolling. You'll never get the barrels lined up to within tolerances. You'll never get the riffling lined up. But I do encourage you to try. Best case scenario the gun blows up and the world is rid of your stupidity.
>>
>>2036779
>can i just wack a 9v on there
Short answer is : maybe.
Longer answer: it depends on what the circuit inside the mill is like. Is it just battery -> switch -> motor? In which case you'll be running the motor at 150% of design spec and risk burning out the motor. It might also have some power conditioning - is there also an input jack from a wall wart?

The actual solution would be a buck converter.
>>
Is there way to use a resovoir and pump on for a mains waterline to increase the pressure on the garden hoses? Current main pressure is very poor and can't use sprinklers for the garden. If not are there anything I can build/buy to increase pressure?
>>
>>2036746
WHEW mount erie machine has a replacement
>>
>>2031761
Love mine. Keeps it out of reach of my kids, and saves counter space.

We had to get a slimline one too and it's never been a problem.
>>
>>2036826
yes
>>
File: 20210221_083425.jpg (2.97 MB, 4128x3096)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB JPG
retail pleb here.
how the fuck do I install this shopping cart anti theft device thing?
>>
>>2036903
that's a cock ring
>>
>>2031761
> t. manlet
>>
>>2036725
Safe AND you can sharpen knives on the bottom.
>>
>>2036746
Flowered the barrel. My brother did that when we were pheasant hunting. You can cut it off, you can maybe add a screw on choke, but even a gunsmith isn't going to be able to align barrels.
>>
File: 20210220_173813.jpg (2.64 MB, 4032x1960)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB JPG
Why is the bottom tab different? Adding a240v breaker and I'm 99% that's the A side for dual phase but it's been s long day of relocating breakers and wiring ro clear a spot.
>>
How do you mark metal? I'm used to using a mechincal pencil for wood but I can't see shit on metal. I tried using a permanent marker but the lines are too thick. Is a scratch awl any good? What material does it have to be to not wear out?
>>
>>2037088
tungsten carbide scribe
>>
>>2037091
So that's what they're called. Thanks. Worth making or just buy any?
https://www.bunnings.com.au/eclipse-89mm-pocket-scriber_p5660365
>>
Im just fucking around with electrolysis because I'm bored and I am looking for electrodes that don't corrode. Turns out platinum or gold are my options, but needless to say they can be expensive. Are there any platinum or gold parts inside old appliances or circuit boards or some other cheap way to get them?
>>
This freeze that hit the south sucks. Hot water issue here. Once everything thawed I have very low hot water pressure to the kitchen and master shower. The hot water going to bathroom sinks seems fine. I don’t think there is a leak because with everything turned off, the meter is not moving. Any ideas?
>>
>>2037115
If your lines froze, it's possible a pump got damaged somewhere in the system.
>>
>minimum height for fire alarm speaker is 80 inches
>ceiling is below 80 inches high
what do
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (87 KB, 404x512)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
I too have a /sqtddtot/
Could I make a torch from a can like pic related but cut the top open and use wood instead of oil/ other flammable liquids? I just saw this video and woukd like to try it https://youtu.be/-jnQMIAhxyM
>>
>>2037105
Carbon/graphite electrodes are a solid choice too. Cheap as dirt. Tungsten also works pretty well in terms of general corrosion resistance, and it's widely available in the form of TIG welding electrode
>>
>>2037088
You can also use a sharpie if you don't want to scratch the material. The sharpie mark can be removed with an alcohol wipe later.
>>
>>2036992
The bottom tab is 'different' because that's the end of the bus. It runs from the top to the bottom of the breaker panel. If you removed the bottom left breaker, you would see that the other legs bus ends the same way.
Go ahead and connect your last breaker; it's the thinner section on that bus which the breaker connects to anyway (as marked with the little orange grease spots on the other visible bus finger
>>
>>2037180
Put it on the ceiling
>>
>>2037220
the problem with graphite is it does crumble and fall apart, though I have heard suggesting of keeping it enmeshed to prevent it from disintegrating into the electrolyte. I will look into the TIG wire, thanks anon.
>>
>>2036724
That's assuming the current passing through each battery is equal, which they won't be due to real world factors. Regardless, whether ~25A discharge current is a bit much or no problem at all depends on what kind of batteries you're dealing with. Golf cart batteries handle currents like that just fine, but smaller ones usually don't like it on the long term
>>
>>2037200
What are its pronouns?

Yes you can put wood in aluminum and burn it. You'll have two problems, air flow if the fire is in the can and how long it lasts which makes for a bad torch.

Look up campfire in a can and penny stove for some alternate paths as I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish.
>>
>>2037200
Cut off the top of the can, cut off the bottom. Find some wood that's about as thick af the diameter of the can, between 1 and 2' long. Now slit the can up the side so it makes a C of aluminum. Light one end of the stick while holding the far end. Venture into the night with your wooden can torch being careful not to step on any of the cut up aluminum someone made.
>>
>>2034348
You're actually better off with several 6v batteries wired in pairs. A small section of the RV community has been doing this for house batteries with or without solar.
>>
>>2037232
It's the difference between starter batteries and like AGM. The amp draw of starting a vehicle is high and quick. Running appliances, a winch or electric golf cart motor is a high draw over an extended time. The biggest problem is discharging either kind too far, they get damaged below like 11v.
>>
In my autism-fueled mind, I have but one desire. Upon getting an area of land, I would build an extremely durable shelter. It would be 1-2 rooms and have the bare basics for living. The idea would for it to be durable enough to be a nearly permanent fixture that I would never have to fiddle around with, make big repairs to, or rebuild. So that if my entire life fell apart and I ended up with nothing except for this hovel, it'd be the one thing I'd never risk losing.

I'm thinking: Concrete foundation, cinderblock walls, the cinderblock itself stabilized with rebar and filled with cement poured into it. The roof's frame would ideally be with metal beams, but could feasibly work with weather-treated timber. The roofing itself would be made of corrugated steel, probably with a rust resistant coat of white paint to reduce the amount of heat the roof absorbs (I live in a warm and sunny area).
All utilities (electric, water, cable) would be ran into the house through a porthole in the wall which then gets a specially cut panel over it to stop drafts. The idea of this is so I never need to risk the foundation with pipes/cables that go underneath it. The water pipe would run along the ground, with cable and electrical wires going along the underside of the roof. Insulation would be a series of thick rugs on the floor and walls. There would be no ceiling, except for maybe a storage loft.

What problems could arise with this, assuming I have all the correct permits and legal approvals? Again, the purpose of this is to be an absolute failsafe place to live that'll always be there for me. It's not for living cheaply, I know how expensive permits can be, so there's no need to point of the cost.
>>
I'm putting in some new buttons on my laser cutter, the most important ones are pause/resume but there'll be other ones for some auxiliary stuff. What kind of buttons should I get? not really from a technical point of view, more just /diy/ is full of people who use machines all the time, what are your opinions on your favourite kind of button to use
>>
>>2036671
err i didnt mean it in a postapoc scenario anon...
when i say make do when shit breaks down i mean it in the sense that i dont have to call a repairman to mog me on their diy skills when something goes bad in my house or my car
>>
tl;dr: how can i stop feeling so tired after work?

long version: i started a factory job. i only had another one and i covered for an ill worker so my experience is very limited. the job (9hs/day, mon to fri) is not heavy nor hard but i still come home feeling spent. i still wanna do shit outside work and in april im going back to college so i wanna have good energy reserves in my spare time. any advice? or should i just be patient and wait until i get used to it?
>>
>>2037304
If it's that small you'd probably be better off getting a prefab storm shelter. I'm not sure how you'd get it to have plumbing and electricity but this would certainly be easier and cheaper than building a new structure.
>>
>>2037493
Stop eating like shit. Eat a vegetable. Get enough sleep and keep a consistent schedule.
>>
>>2037521
I think this is a good idea, but I think it has some aspects that would make it a secondary option assuming I had money for a new structure. Firstly, the ones for sale that will ship to me are very small. Like 1 sitting area. I would at least like enough space for a bed/mattress, shelf, and a desk. Secondly, I live in Florida so the water table is very high. I'm not sure if that would work at all, considering people don't make basements here for that reason.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (19 KB, 342x342)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>2031674
They work, but they're better in a die grinding instead of a drill.

Actually, getting roloc bristle discs in a die grinder is a fantastic way to prep metal for welding/painting. I don't think I've used a wire wheel for anything in years.
>>
>>2031366
Is there a good way to break this emulsion? My local parts store are some whiny cunts and won't take "contaminated oil" even though they dump literally any kind of oil into the same 500 gallon tank, and I doubt a gallon of milkshake oil would ruin that
>>
File: IMG_0228.jpg (798 KB, 1224x1632)
798 KB
798 KB JPG
How do you organize allen wrenches and bits?
>>
>>2037660
if they are loose, just get a spare block of wood, drill holes into it with their corresponding size and label it with a marker or pen or something. You can even be fancy about it and write it out real calligraphic like
>>
File: IMG_0225.jpg (2.28 MB, 3264x2448)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB JPG
got a few questions coming up. can these ancient pruning clippers be salvaged with that much damage on the blades?
>>
File: IMG_0226.jpg (1.6 MB, 2273x2221)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
im going through my uncles toolbox again, lots of tools and pieces from the 70s. any idea what these are? 8 looked like really tiny allen wrenches
>>
>>2037668
2. Rotor from a car's distributor.
3. Wheel Lock key.
5. Die holder, or similar, handle.
6. Countersink.

The rest would just be guesses.
>>
File: 20210220_210203.jpg (3.08 MB, 4032x3024)
3.08 MB
3.08 MB JPG
Furnace air filter has rails for a 1in filter. Can these be removed or could a 2in filter otherwise be used?
>>
>>2035719
-spindles for small chair backs, baby cribs, and stacked shelves
-various parts to make a spinning wheel
-chess / checkers playing pieces
-small spherical balls, drill hole in and make a game where you stack colored ones on small dowels in square base
-spokes for small carriage wheels or small ship steering wheels
-harry potter wands to sell on etsy
-custom gearshift knobs for gay and loud sports cars, sell on ebay
-dildo (sand well in case of splinters, use a hardwood)
>>
>>2037668
8 are jet brushes. They are made to clear out carburetor jets
>>
>>2037663
Id grind them down, you may get something usable
I mean you are going to throw them away otherwise right?
>>
>>2037668
5 has straight knurling on the end. That may mean it had a plastic knob press fit on the end, and it was a lever for something. The knob broke off so it was replaced maybe
>>
>>2037660
I cut a wood tray with all the fractional drill bit sizes into it up to 1/4, and put my loose drills in it. For all the # size, I put in small ziploc bags with their number on it. Anything bigger is sitting in different trays for different reasons.

As for allen keys? I just have 2 parts bins, one metric, one SAE.
All my loose keys go into them.

The reality of the situation is that all the time was pretty much wasted though. When I need a drill bit, I pull from one of my drill sets. When I need an allen key, I pull from one of my sets.

The loose stuff might as well be thrown into the trash because I never have a need for them. They are loose for a reason
>>
>>2037854
I had 1in filters for my furnace, my HVAC guy pulled it out, and added an external Air Bear 4" box to the furnace. I dont know if he did anything else, but its been 3 or 4 years now and the AirBear works way better than the 1" filter did.
>>
>>2037695
>>2037967
>>2037971
Thanks, he was a car guy back then so it makes sense. I dont do any car work so im tempted to put all these cart work parts in a separate bin or get rid of them. would old car guys even needs these kinds of things anymore?
>>
>>2037982
Its junk bin stuff
>>
File: file.png (3.82 MB, 1325x1657)
3.82 MB
3.82 MB PNG
>>2037661
>>2037974
Is there a way to measure the size of the smaller bits without getting an expensive gauge reader? some are rusted and i cant read the markings at the base. As for the allen wrenches I already found (3) folding sets so the loose ones are toast if they already match.

>>2037983
thanks, will clear up some space in the toolbox
>>
>>2037989
>Is there a way to measure the size of the smaller bits without getting an expensive gauge reader?
I measured all of mine with digital calipers, which can be had for ~$20
If you dont own a pair, buy some. Youll wonder how you ever lived without them, extremely handy for measuring anything under 6"
>>
>>2029545
probably not cheaper if labor costs are taken in to account, but i paved my driveway with free pebbles from a local mine and tar from the pine trees in my yard. ther were ugly, cracked tiles there, which i covered with DIY asphalt.
>>
I have a plastic tub and I want to add a pipe coming into it. What plumbing fitting would I need at the point where I bore a hole into the plastic container? I'm assuming there's a fitting of two halves, of which one goes on the inside of the container and attaches to another half on the outside of the container, and then forms a thread for the pipe? I'm looking to add a pipe into a fermentation bucket so would need to withstand some internal pressure.

I have no knowledge of plumbing.
>>
>>2029545
Hey /diy/.

I've had some funky problems with my car starting, yet it is not the battery as far as we can tell. Several different places haven't been able to pinpoint the issue. I was not able to find anything either. The latest place I have it at recommended I get the computer flashed. Both to see if that fixes the issue, but more importantly to fix the hard shifting it has when it shifts gears.

Does anyone have experience with reflashing your onboard computer, and is it worth it pay for it or try to do it myself? Would this even fix anything, or is reflashing not really necessary?
>>
File: pumpy.jpg (36 KB, 1162x296)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>2036724
>300w /12v is 25 amps, but you aren't passing 25 amps through each battery, but 25 amps total, so 12.5 amps per battery. 300w /24v is 12.5 amps, but that current is passing through both batteries.

Okay, that makes perfect sense; thanks for clearing that up.
regarding the pump: it's this guy here:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612301_200612301 (pic related are the specs).

There aren't a ton of 12v pumps out there with decent PSI and an acceptable flow rate, so here I am. Admittedly it's a bit of a wonky setup, i'm thinking i'll be switching to a 110v submersible pump and a 24v inverter; but for now that's what i got. My goal was to have a backup source of water for irrigation (and later for the house); and have it completely offgrid.
>>
I have a heat pump + electric furnace. Is there a way to wire it so the heat pump doesn't use its own aux heat, and instead turns on the furnace?

Also, will the furnace be cheaper to run than the heat pump's aux heat?
>>
Whats a good blogging platform to post my diy ramblings on?
Free is good, search engine coverage is better.
>>
Is it possible to dye leather and/or imitation leather?
>>
>>2038202
Normally the aux heat on a heat pump is a set of "heat strips" or resistance wire coils that take a lot more electricity to run than regular heatpump mode.
Your thermostat can be wired so the aux wire (not sure of the color, you can look at your thermostat manual) goes to the furnace rather than enabling the heat strips.

As for cost, MOST of the country it is cheaper to run a gas furnace than a heat pump in normal mode. It is almost always cheaper to run a gas furnace than a heat pumps auxillary heat strips. In my area, its marginally cheaper to run a heat pump than a gas furnace because I have a combination of cheap electric rates, very mild winters (heat pumps produce heat much more effectively at warmer outdoor temperatures), and the local gas company wants a 60$ monthly fee just to have a connection in addition to their gas charges (I don't have any other gas appliances, so it would cost me 700$+ a year just to have the service)
>>
>>2038287
Do it on video and post it on youtube
>>
>>2038364
Yes and yes. search for "leather dyes"
>>
File: 1h98jd.jpg (70 KB, 500x888)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>2029545
Any half powered garage door opener recommendations?
My 1980's 1/2hp for my 1 car garage has a fried circuit board and it's a $80+ part
>>
File: image.png (1.74 MB, 1102x768)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB PNG
>>2037964
Much appreciated. So far I've begun to drift towards beer bottle openers and hopefully honey dippers with a self contained lid.
Idk why or how.
>>
>>2037626
I used these, and my main gripe was that the only shanks for them are smooth and I couldn't for the life of me find any hex shanks that weren't some custom-job long extensions. I didn't have a die grinder but needed to get into a tight area and the right angle attachment for my drill didn't have a chuck. I had to get a different right angle attachment with a chuck but it made it a lot harder to fit in the space I was working.

So, they do work but I'll second the die grinder recommendation.
>>
Does anyone have a link to that wood gas generator video that was on here a while back. It was horrifying... Like a car instrument cluster with a tach that had wires on it that would open up with a spark gap if it got to running too fast and all kinds of other death traps....

Cause I really want to find it again and am not coming up with the proper search terms.
>>
File: Marking blue.jpg (44 KB, 480x360)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>2037088
>How do you mark metal?
You coat the surface with marking blue then scratch your lines in that with a scribe.
>>
>>2037237
>What are its pronouns?
That's Survival Lily. Show respect.
>>
>>2038804
Nah, just use a marker
>>
>>2037091
This
>>2037098
Just buy them...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PC-Carbide-Scribe-MARKING-Etching-Measuring-Tool-on-Metal-Glass/161225473560
>>
File: ceramicmoldcasting1.jpg (69 KB, 720x341)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
I want to make ceramic molds for metal casting. Do I still have to make vent just like green sand casting and do I still have to worry about shrinkage? If so how do I reduce shrinkage?
>>
>>2038077
honestly you might just try going to home depot and asking the sales associate if they have what you need,

t. also a plumbing brainlet
>>
I want to put a platform and power rack inside my house. Do I need to worry about anything other than making noise?

It is a pretty old house, and the walls are plaster. Would the vibration from deadlifts cause damage in the long run?
>>
If I want to get into flipping houses/being a landlord, what's the best trade I can learn to help cut costs of hiring others? (No, I'm not a russian jew from brooklyn)
>>
File: leather.jpg (159 KB, 1916x881)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>2030879
You may have scrap from the belly of the leather. This is inherently stretchy and floppy. I'm pretty certain that reddish-brown scrap front-and-center of your picture is belly, based on the organic curve on the right side. Otherwise, be aware if you have any oil- or chrome-tanned leather, which is soft no matter where on the hide it is cut from.

Belly is good for wet molding and holsters and things, but not for belts or things that shouldn't stretch.

A person a few years ago did a bunch of experiments with hardening leather. It's a long article, I believe using stearic acid or gelatin were the best performers. Doesn't really help the initial cutting though. May try a rotary cutter.

https://medium.com/@jasontimmermans/a-comparative-study-of-leather-hardening-techniques-16-methods-tested-and-novel-approaches-8574e571f619
>>
>>2038905
Plumbing and general handyman shit (like fixing a door) comes up the most when dealing with houses.
t. have owned and lived in a house and had renters
>>
File: 20210217_183112.jpg (3.91 MB, 4032x3024)
3.91 MB
3.91 MB JPG
I need to bolt down a power rack. There's not enough room in the garage so I want to bolt it down in my basement. It has some thin ass cheap floring and then there's a piece of plywood eother 1/2" or 3/4. The hole is 5/8" for the base. So do I just buy 5/8" screws and put a washer and that's it? Will it be sturdy enough so that it won't wobble? Each leg has 4 holes

>pic related
>>
>>2038932
Would it be necessary to take schooling (online/in person) or could I learn the plumbing online and such?
>>
simple question, trying to set up an air brush with my old compressor but the spray ends up like this. I can't find an image online to compare, but is this caused by water?
>>
File: 1599517050113.jpg (40 KB, 650x650)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>2039112
>simple question
Simple questions typically require complicated answers.
>>
>>2039000
Drill all the way down into the slab. Get some expanding anchors.
Also, czeched.
>>
>>2039000
1. Why does it need to be bolted down? I have had one in my basement for the past 5 years and it has never wanted to tip. If it did, the rafters would catch it
2. I'd build an exterior base/frame for it to go into instead of fucking up the flooring.
>>
>>2039112
do you have an air dryer? are you getting water/oi spraying out of your airbrush when you dont have paint in it?
>>
>>2031687
I don’t think that will work. USB has dedicated data as well as power for each port. Each port negotiates its own power parameters with the host.
>>
do people ever use electronics solder to make simple frames and join metal together?

I'm a huge newbie, but I was thinking of soldering some small metal pieces together for a frame to hold something up (weighing 5-7 pounds is what I'm aiming for) and wanted to know if it'd be smart to do so
>>
>>2039497
Electronics solder is really weak, I wouldn't trust it at all for holding anything 5-7lbs up.
Use brazing rod if you want bigboy solder.
>>
>>2039497
Electronics soldering a type of brazing. You'll find stronger joins with looking into that.
>>
What's a good smoke I can improvise to make airflow visible? Something very visible that doesn't give me cancer or makes a mess.
>>
>>2031192
>>2030879
knive sheaths
>>
i took welding classes for a couple of months and i have two certs (an ironworker one, i learnt the very basics for arc welding, milling and lathing; and a novice welder one, we saw mostly arc and gas autogenous welding, and a little bit of mig and tig) from the local ironworkers union
i have a grunt job at a kitchen factory where we do some metalworking but most welding is situational so the employers dont need a full time welder. i found no apprenticeships nearby. i have no welding experience either

any advice? i wanna exploit my newly acquired skills
>>
File: 20210224_095054.jpg (621 KB, 2560x1440)
621 KB
621 KB JPG
hey guys, i never use this board so I'm not sure what exactly belongs in this thread or not, but I'm posting here just to be safe. I have a little bit of a problem where I burned some kind of fake wood floors (not sure if its vinyl or linoleum or something else, though I think it's linoleum) and I need to know if there is a good way to patch up the hole. so far I have used wood filler, which seems to work except for the fact that the color is a bit off. is there any better solution that doesn't involve me ripping up my floor? is there some way to dye the wood filler?

pic related, its my attempt at patching it up, and a quarter for comparison in size
>>
I’m making some outdoor coffee table and would like to have the screws from the inside (1) so that they’re not visible.
I understand that screwing boards from the outside as in (2) is stronger, but how much stronger? Will it be wobbly if I use 4x60 screws from the inside? Wood is leftover douglas and spruce
>>
>>2038103
If it worked before then reflashing won't change a damn thing. That's old / inexperienced mechanics that "don't understand them com-pooters" talking. define "hard starting". is it slow to turn over? that's an issue with battery / cables / starter / solenoid (or undercharged battery due to alternator). learn to diagnose properly. I won't list the steps because maybe you meant... it turns over fine but doesn't fire. that could be many, many things. again, learn to diagnose, not even knowing what kind of car it is we can check for fuel presence / pressure, and presence of spark. no fuel? pump / fuse / relay / wiring / antitheft. fuel present but low pressure? pump / filter / wiring. no spark? coil(s) / fuse / ignition module / crankshaft sensor in each case, learn to test those items, never throw parts at it. (I'm assuming modern car, old cars are far easier to diagnose).
>>
>>2039581
Everything gives you cancer. quick and dirty for leak checking? cigar. designing a chamber or device and don't want tobaccoo stains? atomized mineral oil, either heat it electrically or use an ultrasonic transducer. you can also use ultrasonic water mist if water is more appropriate to your application
>>
>>2039497
Nah that is not mechanically strong enough to hold weight. you can braze things if you don't want to weld but brazing still requires a torch or arc, not an iron.
>>
File: brazing.png (614 KB, 1239x1239)
614 KB
614 KB PNG
>>2039497
electronic solder is far too weak
The cheapest and easiest thing for you would be to find Low Temperature Aluminum Brazing rods.
You can buy the rods for like $10-15 in the welding isle at the hardware store or on amazon.
You also just get a cheap Propane torch set for like $20 at the hardware store

Then just braze it together with the torch. I works pretty well, ive used it to weld aluminum together a few times.
>>
>>2039112
looks like water or oil. blow some air out of the compressor with a blow gun or empty paint gun. does it feel oily or just wet? if it's just water, drain the compressor tank and install a filter. if it's oily, you might have compressor issues and just need a new one. it's always good to use a filter tho.
>>
>>2039707
Wood filler is supposed to match your color before you put it on, and then you stain over it.
Unless you go and find the exact right color that matches your floor (which never happens), it will never look perfect and unnoticeable.
>>
>>2039112
You need an oil and water separator in your line.
All normal air compressors will shoot out water from condensation when it compresses the air. Oiled compressors also shoot oil into the tank from blowby in the cylinder.
Thats why they sell airbrush compressors which dont have those problems.
>>
Do high quality yet cheap cable cutters exist? I never should have trusted those store brand 5 euro cable cutters, all my cables are frayed now
>>
>>2039801
Depends on how cheap you are talking, also I dont know much about Bong prices.
But I bought Tsunoda japanese made 10" cable cutters for ~13 euro here in America. Half of the japanese stuff is surprisingly cheap while the other half is highway robbery.
>>
>>2039795
actually i just got back from the store with a laminate floor repair kit. seems like its going to work pretty well. thanks though!
>>
>>2039581
Incense
>>
File: headstock.jpg (130 KB, 730x1232)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
Hey /diy/ does anyone have any tips for removing drops/blobs of hardened epoxy?

I've recently fixed a broken headstock on a super cheap guitar I broke, and overall it worked great but I was a bit lazy with the cleanup before it dried and I have some dried globs that pushed out in the direction of where the tuning pegs go.

I basically just used this video (crack was almost exactly the same)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xo_sRMirXo

I was able to remove most of the other residue with the razorblade like in the video, but these globs are harder already and also in a very curved area (pic related).

It's probably ok if they stay there but it's just kind of annoying if anyone has any ideas.
>>
I don't suppose this is a stupid question, but does anyone have any experience with screen printing things like shirts? The single station setups seem to be pretty inexpensive, and even the 4 station ones are reasonable. I'm not even really wanting to start a business, I just think it'd be cool to make my own shirts.
>>
File: Dremsl.png (340 KB, 780x513)
340 KB
340 KB PNG
>>2039983
If you have access to a dremel I bet a small tip like one of these would work like a charm. Wort case you could wrap something narrow in a bit of sandpaper and put some elbow grease into it to do the same thing.
>>
>>2039757
Bumping this but also have another question now: Are these self drilling screws worth it? They are about double the price (€29 instead of €14 for a box of 200 stainless 4x70), but can I really screw them tightly without pilot holes and without having to worry about splitting?
>>
>>2039801
What kind of cable are you talking about Anon? Copper battery and welding cables? Steel cables?
>>
File: 9000hourspaint.png (3 KB, 258x183)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
Guys I have a plank of wood and I want to cut out a portion like the red in pic related. I only need it to be 2.5mm deep but an inch in width.

What's the best way to do this assuming I have only basic tools like a saw, etc.
>>
>>2040757
drill and chisel?
>>
Any advice on how to get well stained whiteboard marker from bathroom tiles? Talking possibly up to 3 months dried on the walls.

So far have tried;

WD40
Rubbing Alcohol
Soda crystals/vinegar/dish soap combo
Toothpaste
Hand sanitiser
Paint thinner
Hairspray
Deodorant
Vegetable Oil
Every general purpose spray in the house
Every disinfectant in the house
Bleach
Writing over it with another and wiping away

The top "layer" so to speak has come off, but there's a ghost of the writing underneath that's clearly visible and impossible to remove at the moment.
>>
>>2041017
Xylene
MEK
(The first two are nasty, be careful)
Acetone
>>
>>2041017
I'd give a pressure washer a go.
>>
>>2040757
A router.
>>
i live in a duplex and my connected neighbor moved out. The landlord sent people to paint the interior next door and the smell has spread to my apartment heavily, and i hate the fucking stink, i cant even rest well in my room.

is it toxic? The paint fumes. just wanna know if i should try to sleep through this. it smells way way stronger than any interior paint i feel like ive smelled.
>>
hey /diy/, sorry, I don't know where else this would go so I'm asking here

I bought these silicone mats to put food stuff and hot trays etc. on. They are fine, but they're just slightly too small for my needs.
Luckily I have 2, and I was thinking of cutting some off one, and joining it onto the other to increase the size.

How would I do this? It can't leave a gap or anything, because these are to protect the table from hot dishes from the oven. What can I use to join them that's heat resistant and safe?
>>
>>2035802
the P stands for progressive scan, which makes the one lacking a P an interlacing scan display.
>>
>>2041083
It is not toxic, but it probably had mildex or whatever inside. Some mildew protector. The smell will dissipate it doesn’t last long. Nothing to worry about.
>>2041261
I honestly wouldn’t bother it won’t look good or stay together well. Just find another use.
>>
Probably the default stupid question.

The water in my shower doesn't drain as good as it did once. Now I wanted to just grab a plunger and get some pressure going in that bitch but the problem is that around the drain there's small tiles (as is the whole shower floor) so the thing doesn't attach properly.

What alternatives can I use that are not heavy chemicals or anything like that.
>>
>>2041434
>honestly wouldn’t bother it won’t look good or stay together well
Thank you. But the thing is, I still need a large silicone mat, This was kind of the best for my specific purpose. I don't want a thick mat, I got a relatively thin one that still manages to protect from the heat
>>
File: 20210226_120207.jpg (1.71 MB, 1960x4032)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
Where the fuck does the ground bar go in this floating neutral sub-panel and what do I need to to attach it? I assumed there would be threaded holes but nothing is the right size nor even close to maybe matching up.

My main panel is QO breakers and the ground bar is QO brand, the sub-panel takes blade breakers (e.g. it's not QO style?)
>>
>>2041261
Silicone doesn't have a melting point, it just combusts, so you can't weld the two pieces together without using an adhesive. Since the edge you're trying to bond is thin you'll need some kind of backing strip that you apply adhesive to and then place the two pieces onto. It'd probably be better to buy some liquid silicone, make a mold the size of what you want, and pour a thin layer to make a new mat that's already the size you want.
>>
>>2041553
do you know what a trivit is? there is a reason they aren't a non-porous mat.

pastry mats are like 28"x16" normal kitchen silicone is 24x16" dog feed mats are like 32"x24", and floor applications start at 56"x56". Ignoring that you don't actually need a seamless mat for what you're claiming, what size do you want when you say "large"?
>>
>>2041519
It's usually hair clogging up your shower drain. There's not exactly a lot that goes down them besides that to clog them up like other drains (i.e. you're not pouring grease down them or flushing tampons down your shower drain). So you need to remove it somehow. Drain cleaner melts it. If you don't want to use drain cleaner then you can buy what's called a drain auger to snake out the drain.
>>
>>2041519
for a few bucks: get a zip strip for drains
for free: swing by any autoparts store when it's rainy or snowy. pulls some wiper blades out of the trash can out front and strip the steel out of the rubber
either option: shove down drain catch hair pull up "clot"

you shouldn't even need to modify the wiper blade metal if you go that route, just find one with a little rectangle missing near each end.
>>
File: 1614371714985.png (192 KB, 645x685)
192 KB
192 KB PNG
Is 1 gallon of this stuff enough for a 72"x36" tabletop?
>>
>>2041572
Thanks, guess the idea might have to be abandoned, sounds like a lot of faff for something a bit basic really
>>2041576
Well basically, sometimes I just want to put the oven tray straight onto the table/desk/wherever i want to eat, but I need a mat like this to do so. A trivet also works, but I also like having a drink, any cutlery, etc all on the mat.
The mat I have fits most of my oven trays, but for one of them it just barely fits, and leaves no space for me to put a drink or anything.
My current mat is 30cmx45cm or something close to that, I only need arond 6cm more each way, and the extra doesn't even really have to be heat proof now that I think about it.

But is there a way to join anything onto the silicone mat which will give me a larger surface area and not fall apart?
>>
>>2041625
>But is there a way to join anything onto the silicone mat which will give me a larger surface area and not fall apart?
not that would be worth doing. i.e. you could sew them together a la Indian moccasins but it would be hard to make the holes, prone to tearing out and make a raised ridge.

you could lay them together edge to edge and oversized staple them. the tool to reach and have effectively big staples would be more than just buying a bigger mat.

you could put one in a pillowcase end and sew around it, then put your bonus strip up against that and sew around that. probably the most durable. Ideally this would be done with a sewing machine but you lose the nothing sticks to it property.

I mean effectively anything you could try is not only going to probably not last but would be more expensive than a new mat.
>>
>>2041639
So you think the best solution would be to just buy a new mat, probably bigger than the size I want then just cut it down?

Shit, I spent a lot of time looking at these, most of the ones I looked at didn't seem suitable. Settled on these and not sure why I thought the size would be fine.
I don't even mind if I can do a messy job with this as long as it sticks together as one piece. Even sellotaping the bonus strip to the bottom of the mat would be fine for me, but I don't think the tape would last with the heat, and Im not sure it's even safe to mess around with heat, tape and food all close together like that
>>
>>2040046
For framing, not worth it. Use these for stuff that's going to be visible.
>>
File: file.png (285 KB, 515x515)
285 KB
285 KB PNG
Do I need that special vapour tape they sell to put down underlay, or can I just use common tape?
>>
how do i get lithium grease off my leather welding gloves? should i just shove them in the washing machine?
>>
Will running a 90s tube amp (80w traynor which is a fender twin clone) on a pure sine inverter fuck up the amp or blow tubes or anything?
>>
>>2041737
Smear it with dish soap and wait 10 mins. Rinse it off and should be good to go.
>>
File: tigaluminum.jpg (1.2 MB, 1520x995)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
What causes this in TIG welding aluminum? Shielding gas problem, welder problem, operator problem?
>>
>>2041678
nah tape ain't going to kill you. I would use blue painters tape or aluminum tape (literal aluminum in the insulation section) neither of those will be damaged by anything short of red hot metal heat- clear tape who knows. Regardless you aren't losing anything but some tape by trying.
>>
>>2041729
the idea is to make one big sheet. the underlay I used came with an overlap already set with tape. I personally wouldn't fuck around, pulling up that shit to fix something isn't exactly fun. and you're talking about walking back the whole floor if you have moisture issues from using shit tape.
>>
>>2041794
you got a bad gas cylinder- wrong gasses in it.
>>
>>2041838
If the tank is 100% Argon, which I've sat on for probably eight years, is it likely contaminated you think?
>>
Anyone on /diy/ do magnet fishing? (I.e, Trolling bodies of water w/ 1000 lb magnet to find cool stuff)

I've been watching youtube and looking on amazon for magnets to fish with, the ones the youtubers shill are expensive as fuck American made ones, i.e., brutemagnetics is like the gucci of magnets and you buy their "kits" that come with gloves and grappling hooks and other shit.

On the cheapest end you have the chink magnets where the reviews say the weight the magnet claims to be is really way less.

Anyone know the best magnet to buy where I don't overpay for the stupid "brand" that's also not chinkshit?
>>
File: 1607036849618.jpg (29 KB, 800x800)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>2029545
What can I put under gravel/rocks to stop weeds and grass growing through? Weed mat doesn't stop it.
Anyone used that black plastic stuff?
>>
>>2041925
Do you want anything to grow near the gravel? If not then dissolve some rock salt in water and spray it all over the area.
>>
>>2041957
Even if I salt the earth I still want to put a physical barrier between the dirt and the gravel, because I just KNOW shit will still grow through eventually.
>>
>>2041838

This.

>>2041838

Yes definitely contaminated. I've gotten cylinders from the local gas place, taken them home and fired up the welder only to find my tig welds went straight to shit... Take the cylinder back, they check it and send me off with another new cylinder.
>>
>>2041906
I've done a little bit but only found some terribly damaged washers bolts nuts ect. I used something I bought on amazon and it can pick up my bike. Up to you dude,
>>
>>2041797
>nah tape ain't going to kill you.
Well that's good
I thought maybe having it near food would be a bad idea. I know it'd be on the underside, but with the heat and everything I thought maybe it's best to avoid. But I'm pretty clueless about this stuff as you can probably tell
Aluminium and Blue tape seem like really good ideas. I just wish I could get them in more black/dark colours
Do you think just using normal sellotape, masking tape or duct tape would work or is it a bad idea? I probably have some lying around somewhere, don't have aluminium tape
>>
>>2041906
get cheap chinkshit and see if you like magnet fishing in the first place. if you pull up a steel dime you can buy the brand name shit with your profits.
>>
>>2041963
you have to ground clear regardless, I both ortho ground clear and remove as much organics as possible. the black plastic stuff works for a few years but winds up breaking down and with holes. I've had better luck with the landscape fabric, even though it's meant for bushes and flower beds it doesn't seem to break down- then again I'm tearing out 10 year old mats and seeing results in the first 3 years of the new mat. also you should absolutely double up layers if you're not.
>>
>>2042090
masking tape is the best out of the 3 you listed. it's probably the best to try just to see how it works, but it will turn brittle and be hard to remove in a year if not months, and also might leave residue if you leave it on too long (again months) duct tape adhesive will melt and also leave nasty residue almost from the get-go. I hate the stuff. sellotape probably isn't going to stick very well and it's not flexible in the way you want. the properties vary widely with brand and type. the latter is true of masking tape as well. duct tape sucks no matter the brand or style.

the masking tape you have is the best option for trying without buying, an if your shit doesn't fall apart immediately you can upgrade to blue tape. also in my head you're taping it on both sides- just taping it on the bottom is going to have it fold out and pull away from the surface of the tape greatly reducing any life of the union. you kind of have to pick form or function here, and looking nice brings us back around to: just buy a bigger mat. it's the only thing that solves all your problems with this.
>>
>>2042146
I figured I'd rake the land, sprinkle on pool salt, flatten the land out, poison, lay down two layers of plastic, then gravel.
I could put some weed mat between the layers of plastic if you think that'd help.

I forget, what does cardboard do? Could I add some of that too or would that decompose and help shit to grow?
>>
>>2042192
The reason I'm not a fan of the plastic is that not only does it disintegrate over time like the other anon said, it impacts drainage. Landscape fabric will at least let water drain through. The stuff you get at hardware stores is very thin shit though, you can buy thicker geotextile fabric online.
>>
>>2031682
buy a hub man, don't fuck around with that shit
>>
>>2031705
if you have enough clearance just use a wood saw
>>
Any space on 4chinny designed for model rockets?
>>
Does a TIG welder need to have an arc for the gas valve to remain open? I'm anon from above. If I hold the torch up in the air and step on pedal gas does come out of the torch, but will shut off almost immediately - do these machines need the arc to be lit for the gas to keep flowing?
>>
>>2035036
You can't read for shit, nigga.
>>
File: IMG_20210227_181546.jpg (3.72 MB, 4864x2736)
3.72 MB
3.72 MB JPG
Not a question
Rate my first weld. I have no fucking clue what I'm doing.
>>
>>2042192
>I forget, what does cardboard do?
nothing that you want.
>>
>>2042333
/mrg/ model rocket general. you might need to restart the thread.
>>
>>2042407
the horizontal part looks fine but you have to cut it half to see if you're actually getting penetration. also mig welding is baby mode, it's not hard to make it look like that.
>>
File: IMG_20210227_181601.jpg (3.39 MB, 4864x2736)
3.39 MB
3.39 MB JPG
>>2042437
I'm using a stick welder. I'll try cutting it open and seeing how deep it is penetrating. What should I do if the penetration isn't deep enough?

Also I think I'm welding too slow, here's a pic from the side. I think that's overlap.
>>
>>2042433
/Diy/? I faintly remember a thread here
I figured with /toys/ /transportation/ and ???? I'd double check.
>>
>>2030896
If the grounds and neutrals are bonded in the panel then you put that new ground in with the neutrals, yes

>>2030900
No, if they’re not bonded there you can’t bond them there. They can only be bonded at one point in the system.
>>
>>2042453
up yer voltage then. And what do your edges look like? Are you beveling them, or just butting them up and trying to weld from one side?
>>
File: IMG-20210227-WA0002.jpg (77 KB, 1024x768)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
My boomer dad is building a cabinet and ended up with a 2 tone wood finish by accident. It's plywood with a stain. How does he fix this so it looks OK? This is the plywood
>>
File: IMG-20210227-WA0001.jpg (95 KB, 1024x768)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
...and this is the stain.
How to fix?
Strip it and use clear coat resin instead?
Wood was all the same color when he started. Looked great.
>>
File: 129083490235328.png (10 KB, 220x220)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
so I'm a handyman for a large corporation and the work is easy, and the pay is fine for what it is.

lately I've been thinking about becoming an apprentice electrician (or hvac tech). I feel like my current job is a bit of a dead-end despite it being easy. I think I'm capable of being more than a shitbag handyman making 20-26/hr.

just curious if anyone has any advice, right now it feels like I'm selling myself short and not working towards something. I know I would be making less money as an apprentice but I can afford it.
>>
I bought a part of a sectional at a goodwill and its got controls on it to adjust it but the plug was on another piece of the sectional. So its just got a cord to plug into another part, so I looked at the motor and its input is listed as 18-35 V 5A Max, so I was just going to strip its cord, strip a wall plug cord, and then throw a 24 V 3.7A ac-dc power block from mouser in between. Does this seem like it should work in theory?
>>
>>2042736
Just butting them up. But I'm just practicing for now. The weld isn't serving any practical purpose
>>
File: Vinyl Carrier Side.jpg (2.25 MB, 3264x2448)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB JPG
>>2029545
Need some aesthetic advice lads. I'm building some vinyl record carriers out of maple and I'd like some input on what I should line the carriers with. I was thinking some stick on velvet, but even if that's the right choice I'm not sure what color to go with. Any recommendations welcome.

Pic related, it's the outside finish of the maple. wood conditioner+dye+polycrylic.
>>
File: dc-motor-500x500[1].jpg (43 KB, 500x450)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
How do I know what kind of motor do I need to rotate a 300-500mg structure at the speed of around 300-400 rpm?

Am I going to be limited by my L298N with its maximum current output of 2A?

I would love for the motor to be able to rotate the structure really quickly, including changing direction immediately and I have no idea what voltage/current/driver I need.
>>
>>2042847
If you believe any other shithead could do your job. Its probs worth skilling up if you can afford it.
>>
If I plug a light light circuit (with a switch) into a socket using a plug then there's nothing technically illegal about that, right? It's only frowned upon if you connect the wires behind the socket?
It's kinda out of sight and there's a lot of sockets so I don't mind losing one if it means the installation is both easier for me and more 'legal' (not that anyone would know anyway but it means more peace of mind).

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.