[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 30 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1503213025457.jpg (90 KB, 636x1024)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>don't turn a wrench for a wench
>don't fall for the tool truck meme
>your body is more important than the boss's bottom line
>>
>don't come to /diy/ expecting anything other than weekend warriors and apprentices
>you bust your ass to make an entry level tech wage
>>
>>2002683
The best advice?
Get a white collar job you fucking retard.
>>
>Never stick your dick in crazy.
>>
LOL. Thought she was holding a huge rifle. Then I realized it was an AK which isn't all that big. She must be tiny . (Cute too)
>>
Here's some real advice. After you've got your journeymans card give yourself up to 10 years to start your own business. If you won't or can't after a decade go and get yourself a comfy maintenance job. This is the best way to not be a worthless cripple in your old age. Nothing makes me shake my head more than a 50 something guy on a service call looking like shit.
>>
The best advice ever is
>the only thing the best ditch digger gets a bigger shovel
Just work a bit harder than the worst guy at your company until you have the experience to jump ship and get a better job.
>>
>>2002744

All the maintenance guys I know are all basically cripples with oxy addictions.
>>
>bondo: it's for cars
Don't try and be a fucking bondo alchemist. A bondo shapeshifting wizard. It never turns out well. That shits for cars
>>
>>2002746
That’s pretty much me
>>
>>2002730
standard light switchs are around 4ft from the floor, so she has to be around 4'6"
>>
>>2002730
>>2002760
She's probably unironically a middle schooler or something (still cute though).
>>
>>2002683
>your body is more important than the boss's bottom line
Im pretty much not allowed to follow this meme advice as an apprentice sparky who works with/for a bunch of "gawdam boy i kint believe you aint as much a man as me, good lord" boomers and a bunch of "idk bro like im just gonna go chill on my phone i hate everything because 40% of my check gets garnished for child support" degen-X burnouts.

The "b-but you're young" memexcuse gets bandied about quite a lot
>>
>>2002746
>>2002758
God I wish I could find painkillers so I could get addicted to them again
>>
>>2002744
>>2002745
I dont know what I want to/can do once I get my journeymans card. I dont know if I could hack it opening my own electrical outfit, and I kind of suck at math so going back to college isnt an entirely solid proposition.

I was unironically thinking about going back to college to maybe become a guidance counselor or something I dont know. My journeyman is a 60 year old boomer and he's literally counting down the weeks until he can retire and collect /half/ pension. Because he's been doing this for 40 years so his body is almost absolutely spent. I could become a maintenance electrician like that other anon said but that wouldn't pay as much as commercial electrician work.
>>
>>2002802
We have an old ass guy at our work pushing 62 and he struggles to lift even a 12x10 duct. But compared to the rest of the population, I don't see many old timers climbing a ladder or lifting much of anything. Imo working on your feet all day is a lot healthier than sitting on your ass for 8 or 9 hours.
>>
>>2002824
I'm the weakest guy at the shop/on the jobsite. I've probably started injuring myself slowly but surely over time by forcing myself to lift shit thats heavier than I can stand to "keep up" and "earn my keep".

Ive started dieting in a major way to lose weight and I plan to try and bulk after that so I can at least work more effectively and reliably. but I still dont (want to) see myself bending pipe and hanging panels when I'm 50-something years old talking about "I remember when I was an apprentice we didnt have these fancy real-time hologram phones"
>>
>>2002832
Are you a manlet or something? How can you be fat and weak? Especially as an electrician that's the least physically strenuous trade on the job site. But my point is we all have the common sense to ask for help when something is too heavy or dangerous to lift alone. If you take it in moderation there's no reason you can't be like Jack Lelane into your golden years.
>>
>>2002683
>>don't turn a wrench for a wench
>>don't fall for the tool truck meme
>>your body is more important than the boss's bottom line
wow this is honestly extremely based. labor redpill summed up nicely
>>
>>2002720
>Just literally sell your soul
>>
>>2002832
>Ive started dieting in a major way to lose weight and I plan to try and bulk
listen faggot, make sure you're eating an absolute fuckton of protien (1.5x daily reccomended if you're trying to lose weight.). Otherwise if you're at a caloric deficit without extra protien, your body WILL eat your muscles and it WILL prevent you from gaining literally any muscle.

If you're a fat lardass and can't do basic labor without injuring yourself you might just get another job. Otherwise all you need to do is essentially keto so that you don't lose your muscles. Once the extra weight is gone, you wont need to lift because your body has already compensated for you.
>>
>>2002852
>Otherwise all you need to do is essentially keto so that you don't lose your muscles
That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm at 18-20%BF so I need to.

>>2002845
>that's the least physically strenuous trade on the job site
Not really, unless you're talking about residential stuff. We do a lot of work with rigid and PVC coated rigid as well as pouring/shoveling/finishing concrete and sometimes that's sackrete instead of from a truck. Also a couple hundred foot run of 4 separate 350kcmil cables isn't exactly "dude haha so light and ez lmao" unless you're just a humblebragging chad who was born with trenbolone in their veins
>>
>>2002857
That shit is ez though. Try slinging around 6 or 8" victaulic or even cast iron. 50lb bags of quikcrete are light after that. I'm just saying people choose electrician as a trade to get out of hard labor. And if you're too fat and scrawny to handle that level of bitch work you're not gonna make it anon.
>>
>>2002889
>That shit is ez though.
It’s not. You’re just trying too hard to sound like chad. Hopefully you get shot in a mass shooting.
>>
>>2002914
Not him but Electrician is not a hard trade in comparison to others.(In respect to lifting and weights and all).You do have to get into weird positions, small spaces and lots of stress positions.

Try and stretch as much as you can (unironically look into yoga for doing at home or paying someone do do pilates) and avoid all stress positions when you can even if it involves wasting some time getting the taller ladder or moving stuff around. And muscle pain on your arms is OK when you start heavy work but lower back and knee pain are a BIG no.

Also permanent advice to wear your goddamn eye and hearing protection, because you ain't getting rid of tinnitus once it starts.

>bluh blug bluh stretching and yoga is for wymin and gay people
enjoy your lower back pain.
>>
>>2003027
And also I know that in America we are a very "pill-centric" kind of society where we just throw pills at any sort of pain. If you end up in the doctor be frank with him and talk.

There are ways to manage pain that usually involve changes to your routine and the way you do your activities and even though they will not numb your senses 100% like opioids anything is better than becoming a chemical demon. Use pills as your last resort, not the first! (Not talking about new age kind of bullshit but even within conventional medicine there are alternatives)
>>
>>2002730
Use switches for scale.
>>
>>2002832
If you want to burn fat you should keep your food intake constant and raise your basal metabolic rate by putting on muscle.
>>
>>2002728
This is probably the best (if not the only real) advice in the thread.
>>
>>2002730
>she
>>
>>2002849
You are selling your soul the second you take any job
The only difference is, with a blue collar job you have no soul AND you are destroying your one and only body.
>>
>>2003351
>The only difference is, with a blue collar job you have no soul AND you are destroying your one and only body.
Suuure, and spending 8-10 hours a day in a chair in front of the keyboard is good for you. I've heard of more people seriously fucking up their back doing office work than actual physical stuff. And the whole "entry level tech salary" is a meme, some jobs offer a lot, but they are few, mostly everyone tries to buttfuck you without even the courtessy reacharound.
>>
>>2003361
>and spending 8-10 hours a day in a chair in front of the keyboard is good for you.

Again, nobody said its ideal for the human body, but its far better than being a broken barely functioning cripple at age 40.

You can cope all you want, there is no denying that you are trading your body for your paycheck.
Young people dont understand how frail their body actually is. You learn far too late when the damage is done.
>>
If you are working for somebody else, especially a big business or government, steal tools and equipment.
If you injure yourself outside of work, pretend you did it at work so you get compo.
>>
>>2003361
retard, your white collar job removes your soul and ruins your mind. of course, if you don't have much a mind to begin with, go for it.
>>
>>2003405
The irony here, as all the borderline retarded high school dropouts dont have the "mind" to get a white collar job even if they wanted to.
They work with their back, because they are worth nothing more.
>>
>>2002728
stick you dick in all you want, just carry a fake id, and never tell her your real name, number or address. then get the hell out.
>>
>>2003405
>retard, your white collar ... if you don't have much a mind to begin with...
The irony of you writing that when you clearly could not even understand the post is delightfull. Let me guess, you are a blue collar intellectual and in you free time away from putting stuff on shelves you solve advanced particle physics issues for CERN. And i am assuming you are putting stuff on shelves or do some other menial task because anyone without the ability to read 2 simple sentences and grasp their meaning is literally too retarded to do any other work.
>>
>>2003418
The hardware store treatment: Screw, Nut and Bolt.
>>
>>2002744
I never went to a trade school and I had a white collar job, when the maintenance position opened up I saw that it paid more than my white collar job so I took it, I am now chief of maintenance for a 20 million dollar company and in a few years I am probably going to end up as the property manager when my boss retires. FEELS GREAT MAN
>>
>>2003431
haw haw haw
>>
>>2002744
>get yourself a comfy maintenance job
can confirm. hell I'm not even a full maintenance tech I literally just do painting and drywall. it's comfy as hell, when I don't wanna work I literally just walk home and jerk off.
>>
>>2003568
that's one hell of a yada-yada-yada
>>
>>2003399
>If you injure yourself outside of work, pretend you did it at work so you get compo

fucken oath
>>
>>2003394
You are either willfully lying or retarded (or at the very least extremely gullible and misinformed).
>>
>>2002744
based (boomer here who's not seen it all but most of it).

>>2002802
Become an electrical inspector. I replaced my own meter box after I bent the weatherhead pipe felling a tree (tree behaved but one branch did not) and being prior avionics it was perfectly tidy and correct.
Still got charged 400 bucks for him to eyeball it and place the sticker. I've no problem with that as I made mine in other trades but it would be nice to have that gig.
Commercial HVAC makes bank. My HVACbro has his own biz fixing only commercial chillers for bars and pajeet stores. They would rather be blinded with a burning penis than upgrade equipment so they're always desperate to save their stock and will pay out the ass for emergency calls. It's easy work without much heavy lifting (if you're not stupid). He has two pickups (always have a backup) and they and his gear were bought for cash long ago. He hates residential work so he only does that for his bros.
>>
>>2003027
>>2003030
based and osha pilled
>>
>>2002683
Pour your beer in your coffee mug
Always keep a pack of gum and a roll of tp in your truck
Dont feel bad about spending a whole paycheck on hookers and blow every once in a while, life sucks, might as well squeeze in a little pleasure.
>t. seasoned veteran
>>
>>2002889
What people view as light labor is always wrong. These are trades that require physical exertion in an air-conditioned settings, oftentimes outside exposed to the elements. It is why women hardly ever pick these jobs.
>>
>>2003896
unair-conditioned*
>>
>>2003027
This man knows. Yoga is based as fuck, also ergonomics and posture are important for all heavy work.
>>
>>2003903
yoga and improving a few ergonomic things saved me from using pills and having very bad lower back pain. I do not wish back pain even to my worst enemy, it is on the same level as migraines
>>
>>2003908
>>2003903
>>2003027
I love to see it, kings

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.