[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 31 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Screenshot_11.png (1.54 MB, 1259x667)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB PNG
I'm not joking, it doesn't seem right at all but pretty handy... Please tell it's really stupid if it really is. Thanks! Stay safe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op8vauGqFgU
>>
Bench grinders aren't that expensive but....hey, it's your fingers and testicles.
>>
Corded angle grinder.
>2021
Guess I'll plug into the wall...
>>
>>2001969
There's a real risk of the part getting cought/jerked (don't ask me how i know). Sometimes it's just annoing, sometimes can end with sutures on your hand. The risk level is around 6/10, it's stupid, will do it again because i'll forget it's stupid.

Also, get a bench grinder, totally different work comfort.
>>
File: output2.gif (2.18 MB, 640x360)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB GIF
What is he doing, casting a magic spell?
>>
>>2001985
In 2021, we still dont have viable cordless angle grinders.
>>
>>2001985

Yeah, it's much better to pay over twice what a corded one cost to get one who's battery dies after 4 years and becomes obsolete anyway, so the price of replacement goes through the roof, and it's cheaper to buy a whole nother grinder.
>>
>>2002009
He's praying to the gods his harbor freight trash doesnt break the second he goes to use it.
>>
>>2002021
>>2002034
>AAAAAHHH NOOOO! YOU ARE THE ONE THAT IS RETARDED
m18 fuel Master race reporting in
>>
>>2002051
>>AAAAAHHH NOOOO! YOU ARE THE ONE THAT IS RETARDED
True

>m18 fuel Master race reporting in
AKA, someone who doesnt actually use a grinder all day every day.
Im sure Bepis is impressed with you though.
>>
>>2002051

Good stuff man, it's only 3x the price of a corded angle grinder instead of double, and uses brand new, unproven technology that's sure to have no problems or quickly become obsolete until the next dumb flashword named product comes out.
>>
>>2001980
>>2001990
>>2002037
idiots
>>
>>2002064
elaborate
>>
>>2001985
>being a slave to the battery jew
>>
>>2002055
>>2002057
Maybe you should get back to drywalling
>>
>>2002126
Maybe you should get back to being a weekend warrior
>>
Wow, the battery delusion is really strong on /diy/, haven't realized there are so many tool collectrors on a board dedicated to actual tool use. If you kids gonna spaz out every time someone points out you got played you gonna have a hard life, couse you will get played, a lot.
>>
File: 1609784362250.png (313 KB, 500x550)
313 KB
313 KB PNG
>>2001969
>I bought a shitty tool so I made this even shittier one to replace it
Absolute genius. Yes, OP, of course it's 100% safe. I'll be out in the workshop cutting aluminum and grinding brass with an angle grinder without a guard, one-handed and wearing no ppe, if you have any more questions.
>>
>>2001969
The only guy that knows if that is secure is the guy using it. I have done it a couple of times and every time I have given the grinder a decent wack before turning it on. Twice I couldn't get it secure enough to trust it while with different grinders / vices I have had it work great a half dozen times.

>>2001985
>doesn't have a battery and power grinder
>doesn't have a 9" grinder
Not going to make it.
>>
File: 3e5wuqsoef921.jpg (59 KB, 720x960)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
The fact is I used this same trick for woodcraving, you are more precise and delicate if you move a small object like a spoon on the grinder than the grinder himself on the object. Now I know, thank to you, it's studid because too dangerous. Is it possible to do woodcraving with a bench grinder? Maybe I miss something. Thank you guys, I really apreciate your comments!
>>
>>2002263
Idiots? on 4Chan?

Sir. Your surprise shows that you're one of us: an idiot. Welcome to 4chan.
>>
>>2002366
>hose clap around grinder
>metal tab in hose clamp
>other end of tab in vice
It isn't as dangerous as half the people are making out, just give it a good hit in every dirrection and see if it's secure enough.
>>
>>2002366
If you're doing precision work, use precision tools... bench grinders and angle grinders aren't precision tools.

As useless as they are in general, if you're carving spoons, something like a dremel (with its 1" bits) is a better choice than a 6"+ bench grinder, or an angle grinder that's fixed to a tabletop with vice grips with all of its scrotum-slicing, eye-bursting possibilities.
>>
>>2002366
>woodcarving

We dont care what the LGBTs opinions are anon.
>>
File: no homo.jpg (123 KB, 750x1000)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>2002366
>woodcraving
w-wanna meet up?
>>
>>2001969
Depends, ive improvised bench grinders with drills and angle grinders for light deburring or with a wite wheel but id never cut something thicker than a nail that way. You have a vice, mount the shit in there and use it properly
>>
>>2001969
I was actually just thinking about doing this with a drill, so I can throw 1/4 hex shaft Nylon wire brushes into it to deburr stuff.
Then I realized thats a fucking retarded idea.

I just used one of my many benchgrinders i had laying around, and threw one of my many drill chucks laying around right on the arbor and was done with it.
>>
>>2002366
Who, what is in the OP pic looks like a flap disk. DO NOT DO THAT WITH A CUT OFF DISK! That goes way above the allowed retardation limit.
>>
>>2002417
I actually do that with a clapped out drill for wire brushing, but i do have a dedicated collar that grabs the drill where the front grip normally goes. Still wobbles sometimes.
>>
>>2001985
Your eyes roll out when you walk into my place, i use 2 cordless drills modified to use a cable. fuck the battery meme.
>>
>>2002055
Spoken like someone who has never used a 12amp with the fuel grinder
>>
>>2002698
Thats right
I didnt pay 219.99 for a 12AH battery, and I didnt pay 219.99 for the M18 Fuel grinder tool only, plus another 99 for a charger just to have a 4-1/2" grinder thats worse than corded counterparts.

You do understand how fucking retarded you sound right?
If you use and abuse grinders for a living, you arent buying big expensive memes
>>
>>2001969
It's definitely not the smartest thing I've ever seen anyone do.
Just buy a bench grinder. They're not that expensive. Fuck's sake.
>>
>>2001969
Griding without a rest/table is fucking stupid, no matter how you do it.
>>
>not locking throttle on and spinning it helicopter style over your head like a fire lance to punish your coworkers
>>
>>2002761
>like a grown up
>>
>>2002367
Never said i am not. I just try my best to plan around my idiocy. Sometimes it works.
>>
>>2002714
Real grinders start at 5 inches. Everything smaller that has no air hose connector is a dremel overcompensating for it's shitiness.
>>
>>2002371
i grind/sharpen lathe tools and drill bits on my bench grinder, the fuck it isn't a precision tool.
>>
>>2002799
Nobody uses pneumatic grinders
>>
>>2001969
Have a good grip and eye protection and youll be fine.
>>
File: lol.jpg (133 KB, 850x781)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>2002714
maybe if you learned to actually run a good bead, you wouldn't have to grind as often
>>
>>2002009
Enjoying his fingers one last time.
>>
>>2002922
Ekhem... learn at least some basic things about welding, then comment about it.
>>
>>2002887
Pneumatic die grinders are kinda awesome when you absolutely positively need to fucker something up. That, and they are spark safe (if used with a burr).
>>
>>2002371
If you give me a rod, a micrometer and a bench grinder w a soft wheel I could "turn down" the whole rod to a measurement of your choosing w my bear hands within .001. fine abrasives are extremely usefully for removing tiny tiny amounts of material in a controlled way. If you look in the machinists handbook, grinding is the second highest tolerance operation benind honing/lapping
>>
File: Atlas.jpg (69 KB, 456x337)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>2002887
They're standard in metalworking industries. Pic related runs on 125 CFM of air.
>>
File: IMG_20210114_090615721.jpg (1.85 MB, 2448x3264)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB JPG
>>2003065
>>
>>2002888
If by eye protection you mean blast shield and by good grip you mean iron hands
>>
>>2003065
I've "machined" plastic bushings to replace unavailable parts (old style HEI distributor weight system) by jamming one that was "close" on to a drill bit and using a flat file gently on the outside as it spun. Not "precise" by any means but the distributor has been happily in service now for 6 years. It's amazing what you can do if you use a little fine motor skills and common-sense ingenuity. Not sure if it's the skill or the ingenuity that turns "a rigged up dumpster fire" into "hey that fucking worked great", but when you're not a machinist and need those parts.... why not try.
>>
>>2001985
it's best to ignore battery meme versions of power tools. you don't need that shit unless you're all the way up climbing trees or extension ladders all day.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.