[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 52 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1591785113926.jpg (332 KB, 1357x1012)
332 KB
332 KB JPG
Hey /diy/ has anyone worked with power mains before?
Just wondering what it's like. Any cool stories?

Theoretically if you were in the middle of nowhere would it be possible to tap into a main line and power your log cabin or something similar?
>>
>>1992390
You’ll need a transformer to step down the voltage, easily stolen from a power company’s service yard.
>>
>>1992435
>easily stolen from a power company’s service yard.
Can they be bought?
Not advocating anything criminal.
>>
File: 1593395089939.jpg (38 KB, 288x361)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>1992435
>You’ll need a transformer to step down the voltage
So it goes main line, transformer, main line to breaker panel?
>>
>>1992390
Yes OP, it's all quite easy. Just connect your house straight to a 500 kV transmission tower, but make sure you put in a transformer. Remember to bring a big ladder.
>>
>>1992627
The correct wiring diagram is phone stop being a cheap kike -> call power company -> get contract for new service

Alternatively: fuck with mains -> become liveleak video
>>
You are going to kill yourself by accident. Don't fuck with power lines retard. Linemen kill themselves often and they're trained to do work on the power lines.
>>
>>1992761
Ok, but how do I do it without killing myself?
>>
>>1993189
Be a gipsy
>>
>>1993191
ok but really how?
Main > Transformer > Circuit breaker?
>>
>>1993195
You know those cylinder looking things on power poles, you need one of those. Run both the 600v lines to it and tap both ends of transformer and the middle is the neutral, run that to your panel. Make sure the power company turns the 600v transmission line off for you first, ask to borrow their pole setting machine too.
>>
>>1993195
Dude, noone in their right mind will give you direct instructions because if you really intend to fuck with a transmission line you will almost certainly fry yourself and noone want's to have anything to do with a liability like that.

The realistic answer is, YES it can be done even on your own, IF you really know what you are doing (which i see you do not) and have quite specialized tools (which i suspect you do not). Otherwise you WILL DIE or cause massive property damage which will be traced back to your odd experiment and you will be fined (only fined if lucky).
>>
>>1994322

Noone is not a word you flaming idiot.
>>
>>1994336
Why are you using it then?
>>
Toss an insulated wire around a transmission line. You'll get a few hundred to a couple thousand volts on the end. Connect that to a transformer and you've got free power. Mythbusters did an episode on this.
>>
>>1994322
It's just a hypothetical.
>>
File: monkey-.jpg (132 KB, 1440x810)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>1994314
>Run both the 600v lines to it and tap both ends of transformer and the middle is the neutral, run that to your panel.
Is that how power companies do it?
Those transformers run to (probably some splitter or something then) to everybody's power meters and that runs to your panel?
>>
>>1994394
If so, one would have to just copy the existing solution, which i must add, would be highly illegal without proper license and a green light from the power company owning the line.

But, again, in theory:
1. one would need to make a tap from the line, a proper line designed to be tapped into with distribution points
2. make a proper connection point (the box on the pole)
3. wire in a step down transformer doing the distribution line voltage to residential mains voltage conversion
4. add all the required safety wiring, then pull the residential voltage to the structure to be powered
5. install a breakout box with breakers and all the crap your local building code requires
6. turn the lights on (optional)
At least that is the euro-shock-hazard version.

And again, that is illegal, dangerous and kinda stupid to try. To give you the proper perspective - i have never seen professionals doing anything on the transmission lines, even the 15kV ones, without first getting a clear confirmation of the particular line being cut off from the grid and then checking for themselves is it 200% off before doing something (cause people tent do fuck up the simplest things).
>>
>>1994408
*tend - like i and my spelling.

Also, they always work in teams, no one is dumb enough to to any line work without some buddies ready to drag your ass away even with all the redundant safery measures.
>>
>>1992469
>Not advocating anything criminal.
and yet you want to tap a mains line that isn't yours and haven't paid to use?
>>
I'm a lineman and this thread is too funny. Ask away for any answers in minecraft.
>>
Easy bro, just climb up there with a roll of wire. Dont even need wire strippers, just use your teeth. Don't even need shoes.
>>
>>1992390
>Theoretically if you were in the middle of nowhere would it be possible to tap into a main line and power your log cabin or something similar?

Yes, and Yes.
It's also possible you'll fry yourself to a crisp in the process, and you WILL get caught.

Hard to hide the tap leads coming off of the mains, running to your gook-hole in the woods.
>>
>>1994430
You probably see bypassed meters a hell of a lot more than people actually tapping service.
>>
>>1994430
Can the utility detect when some idiot throws a wire onto a transmission line?
>>
>>1992390
I worked as part of a digging crew for what we call cable jointers in the UK. They explained how to joint live cables and it's actually fairly simple. The pay is good because it's dangerous work, guy was about 40 years old and said 3 cables had blown up on him. Once from letting 2 cables touch each other and twice when removing the lead sheathing from older cables.
>>
>>1992390
>would it be possible to tap into a main line and power your log cabin
>>1992469
>Not advocating anything criminal
Make up your mind.
>>
File: Liveleak.gif (1.39 MB, 286x388)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB GIF
>>1992748
Don't forget to set up a camera if you try to steal power
>>
Not OP but I have an idea thats probably retarded but I dont see why it wouldn't work-

What if you take a coil or wire and get it close to or wrap it around a transmission wire, you should be able to leech off some power since it would act like a transformer, right? Why wouldn't this work?
>>
>>1994573

It would, that's the way current in conductors is indirectly measured.

The retarded part would be the voltage you get at the output, cause a setup like that is inherently a step-up transformer. Also, it's still a braindead idea to try wrapping something around a live power line.
>>
It’s more realistic to “borrow” power after the transformer, like from a neighbor. If you have access to their house or crawl space just junction onto their oven line. Or better yet if you’ve got the alone time, just install a 100 amp double pole breaker if their box has room and run a branch line to your basement. Especially if you have a duplex house or something.
>>
>>1994556
Yes. They have systems to check drop and such. When they find a patterned drop between 2 points that isn't a in a paid client are and they will check the lines for integrity and find the nigger rig easily.
>>
>>1994620
What if you don't wrap it around; How far out of the wires does the magnetic field extend?
>>
>>1992699
I'm doing a transformer dressout right now. It's only 50MVA. It only weighs 108,000#. So yeah go steal one.

Pic related. Phone post sorry for small or rotate.
Also op is gay and your gay idea will never work. Wtf is "power mains?"
>>
>>1994958
And of course the pic rotated.
>>
>>1992761
Would it really be called an accident
>>
>>1994942
Not far at all, but that is not the main problem, the problem is - if the primary side is not enclosed by the secondary you will get induction in the secondary that cancels itself out, that means no output.

Also, again, just because it's used as a measuring device does not mean it's any good for practical use, even if you get over all the retarded technical issues the power output from something like that will be shit all. A singular AC conductor, even if running high current doesn't provide enough induction to make the output of the secondary significant enough to power anything really.
>>
>>1994394
inductive loop on the ground might be worth a shot,
>>
>>1992435
yes, just buy a 500kva transformer to steal $100 of electricity bill every month, you'll save so much money

>>1994677
how so? if a tap into the low tension lines in my street, there is no way they can detect that, its not like i'd be using it to power a factory
>>
>>1994975
>there is no way they can detect that
but they can
>>
>>1994975
There is a shitton of measuring devices in the system, if what you get on the branch-in doesn't add up with what you get at the total of consumer points then it's already a reason for suspicion. Besides that there is also continuous monitoring of the network, so if something pops up that is unusual it is visible for them.
>>
>>1994408
That is great info anon thanks.
I just wanted to learn how power gets from mains to your house.
>>
>>1994430
People tie there shoes together and toss them up on the powerlines for some reason. Why don't those catch on fire?
>>
>>1995283
Magic.
>>
File: african tranny.jpg (122 KB, 1088x1200)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>1994958
When is the trained technician arriving?
>>
>>1993191
I am
>>
>>1994975
Ok idiot. I'm telling you from personal experience having had someone try that on our family property in the mountains. They went out and found the retard within a day.

Oh yeah he went to jail for a long fucking time more so for fucking with the mainlines and less the tresspassing.

Go ahead retard. Just tell me what state so I can at least watch the news for when you get shidded on.
>>
What if I put some coils near the mains line to harvest the EMF. Will they notice?
>>
>>1995726
STAHP, JOOST STAHP
>>
>>1995283
Because they are only touching one line and aren't a good conductor to the ground. If the shoelases were somehow long enough to reach the ground they would burn out instantly, but as is they are no different than the insulation around the wires.
>>
Stop stealing electromotive force, Jamal.
>>
>>1994942
you wont get anywhere with a transformer, the currents are as low as they can get em because of the resistive losses
you might be able to do something with capacitors
>>
>>1995361
This xfmr has every bell and whistle. That flex will connect to a central device that counts surges, oil level changes, Top oil temp rate of change vs winding rate of change, there are RTDs all over the windings etc. the box is getting fabbed right now then some fiber dorks and the application engineer will come and program it. That fancy waterproofing is my handiwork.

I'm just here to inspect the tapchanger during dressout, measure dewpoint, supervise the hot oil fill, and then do all the final testing. Doble pf, ttr, bridge, excitation, CTs, sudden pressure, buckholz etc.
>>
>>1995722
>had someone try that on our family property in the mountains

you mean you nigger family in some favela?

i work in one of the biggest suppliers of TC's and reclosers in the world, and we frequently hear about how much that is a issue for the suppliers

electricity is the on the top 5 of most stolen items

shut up the fuck up nigger
>>
>>1992390
Dont listen to these haters OP, follow your dream, and anything is possible.

https://users.physics.unc.edu/~deardorf/phys25/rwp/exam1rwpsolution.html
https://www.industrytap.com/electromagnetic-harvesters-free-lunch-or-theft/1805
>>
>>1996438
What the stupid fuck are you going on about. They stole electricity on our property from a fucking huge overhead.
>>
>>1996167
i do hope that fine transformer is protected by an sf6 breaker (master race)
>>
>>1996513
You seem to be suggesting that stealing electricity and getting away with it is simply not a possibility. The reality is that this is a problem for power suppliers worldwide, and even a cursory look into the issue reveals a lot of real world examples.
>>
>>1996568
Ok Favela monkey
>>
>>1996569
is that your argument? guess you realized you were talking shit, next time do some research first, dumbass
>>
>>1992390
low voltage three phase suspended lines - I kid you not, seen this done - really long stick with conductive hook attached to cable and long ground spike attached to other cable
full 220v euro voltage available for your power tools in middle of nowhere
if its raining you are fucked tho, only do this on insulated platform when dry
>>
>>1994400
wait the power lines where you use these bucket transformers run on just 600V?

I thought it was way more.
>>
>>1992390
>Theoretically if you were in the middle of nowhere would it be possible to tap into a main line and power your log cabin or something similar?
125000v straight to your cabin? I'd pay a dollar to watch you do that.
>>
>>1993189
>Ok, but how do I do it without killing myself
you don't
>>
>>1994322
>YES it can be done
until the power company inspects the lines.
>>
>>1994573
>What if you take a coil or wire and get it close to or wrap it around a transmission wire
you would fry your ass because transmission line are bare.
>>
>>1992390
You can literally just stand under high voltage wires and couple to them, no need for actually physically touching anything.
>>
>>1996693
Ok Favela monkey

I don't need to research shit because I live this experience. So much anger just because something you don't know happened and you can't understand it.

Sad. Beta.
>>
>>1995282
He was a bit misleading, you can work on live lines and sometimes have to. I know a few people who have died or bring crippled though that's what turned me off from going further into the field. My first day on the job we were working live and I had called my instructor because he said we probably wouldn't touch live for a few years. He told me to get the fuck out of there and find something else kek.

Basically you are given a lot of isolation tools that prevent direct contact to a line that will fry your ass. Sometimes they fail or you lapse in judgment and gg yourself. I suggest looking at live aerial transmission lineman work on YouTube it's fucking cool.
>>
>>1996783
It is, here is 25kv
>>
>>1995283
Dont know shit about what anybody is talking about here but probably the same reason birds are ok when they perch on the lines
>>
>>1992390
Mains power. I dub thee unforgiving.
Anyone who has to ask about it, shouldn't be touching it.
>>
>>1993189
become a lineman
>>
>>1992390

Ever heard of Voltage drop, retard?
>>
>>1999275
Shh, let him do it. We'll probably get another hilarious .webm of a guy being zapped.
>>
>>1998725
That's faggot tier. Here the main lines are 2.5 million volts.
>>
>>1994958
and why the hell would OP need a 50 MVA transformer for his forest shack

not saying that OP isn't a retard but a small transformer is probably less than 300 kg with the oil, I don't remember the exact numbers (I've dismantled ~100 of them)
>>
File: image.jpg (92 KB, 800x795)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>1994970
I like the cut of your jib
>>
File: FineWarning.jpg (51 KB, 615x387)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>1992390
>>
>>1996781
this. i vaguely remember some video or documentary of some 3rd world shithole using what you described to steal power for their shacks,
>>
>>2002891
>electricity will launch at you by simply opening a door
yea right
>>
>>2003234
arc flash
>>
>>1994456
Why would you need wire-strippers?
>>
>>1996167
Hi anon, is it true about the physical security at these transformers?
James Bond shit like motion and seismic sensors

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.