[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: s-l500.jpg (37 KB, 500x460)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
I've got one of these cheap welders / plasma cutters. I want to use the plasma cutter don't I don't have an air compressor yet.
The manual specifies that it needs 50-80 PSI (60 recommended), but doesn't specify the CFM.

Does anybody have a similar plasma cutter and have suggestions for CFM ratings? This machine is 110V or 220V and the cutting amps can be adjusted between 10A-50A.
>>
>>
>>1957488

I'm reading that article right now.
>>
>>1957481
I gave almost the exact same one they are made mostly the same with different names.

the CFM is not really relevant for a plasma cutter. You just need enough air coming out of the nozzle to blow the melted metal away.

I provide mine with 125 psi and then set the pressure to the plasma cutter depending on the thickness of metal I am using.

for thin sheet metal 40psi is fine for half in or so you might want 80.
>>
>>1957498

That's good to know. The articles I've read say to get a compressor that's rated 1.5x the cutter's CFM requirements. So that's what I was wondering about since mine didn't specify CFM.

Do you just have a little pancake compressor then? I see a lot of cheap compressors for sale that are easily rated for 100+ PSI but then only like 2CFM. The ones that are rated for 5-7 CFM are like $300 at the lowest.

Right now I'm mostly working with sheet metal, but eventually once I'm a better fabricator I'll want to start cutting up to 1/4" plate.
>>
>>1957517
I use mine with a 5 gallon compressor, which is fine for short cuts of a few feet on sheet metal before the compressor kicks in.

A pancake compressor would probably not hold enough for long cuts.

If you don't already have one, I would recommend the largest compressor you can afford. if you need it portable that is a different story.

I high CFM compressor will mean you can cut longer though.
>>
>>1957481
A home gamer compressor isnt going to be good unless it's got a huge tank, and even then that will be short cuts. If you just want to try it out, try renting a nitrogen bottle and regulator

If you're pretty committed, then get a 240v compressor
>>
>>1957550
>nitrogen bottle and regulator
for plasma cutting? that's a bit overkill.
>>
>>1957550

The manual for this says to use compressed air only.

I'm just working out of my garage practicing stick welding with this thing so far. I'm planning on making a small table for my PC to sit on and then some patio furniture to practice, but ultimately I want to build some bumpers and skid plates for my Jeep.

As of now only have access to 120V, so I'll probably look into a 10-30 gal compressor... and try to get as high of a CFM rating as I can, but not sweat it if it's not like 6CFM.

I've been on /biz/ a lot lately so hopefully my investments will pay off so I can eventually buy a house and build a nice workshop. So far, so good.
>>
You could figure out the maximum possible cfm by knowing the air outlet size, the input pressure and some math.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.