[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: climb milling finish1.jpg (297 KB, 1075x605)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
New thread, because the old one is practically at page 13.

Thread hymn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU

Last thread: >>1922654

>Haas automation videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/haasautomation/playlists
>Titans of CNC
https://www.youtube.com/user/titanamericanbuilt/playlists
>Edge precision
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-kgF0sJFno

N.e.w.
>Setting up a grindall spindex on a surface grinder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9rcyIRTfz0
>Precision ground toolroom stones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVLXsq7pi9Y
>>
what the f..

chinese MT4 to straight shank adapter is pretty poorly made, there were only two options on MSC (or elsewhere) and neither were made in USA.

grinding on the ID taper is pretty coarse and undulations are visible from an unbalanced wheel.
>>
>>1934925
chamfered edges are sharp and I think the chamfer on the ID taper edge is off-center a little bit.

hope this thing doesn't have a bunch of runout, it's for my sub-spindle live-center.
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 271x186)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
This morning, i was milling the surface of a block and realised that there is some thermically fried hard spots that need to be removed first
i went slow and easy until this fucker exploded like a grenade
no warning, nothing
i was cutting 1mm depth, 200 rpm and 30 feed.
Fucker was 50mm wide
when i t blew up, the door was half way open and fragments spread across the shop hitting the terminal, someones coffee cup and computer monitor screen meters away
i shit myself
i literally shit myself, squirted in the pants and had to clean myself up and continue working
im scared now, like when people fall from a motorcycle and get scared to ride again
>>
>>1934927
it also has a bunch of dings on it, this is like early 2000s tier china shit
>>
>>1934931
I've had a big fucking bang like that happen running a manual lathe. Gotta get back on the horse and keep going. Fucking parting blades. Watching one with like 3" sticking out running on my CNC still scares me a little bit, but at least now there is a steel door and ballistic glass window in between.
>>
>>1934931
Oh and the slag from torch cutting or welding is super hard. Screws up endmills and inserts.
>>
great, some stainless parts. Hopefully ~5 days is long enough to get it done.
>>
>>1934925
>and neither were made in USA.
you'd be amazed how much shit you buy today that has American flags and claims to be "made in the USA" is not made in the US at all. I work for a consulting company that helps factories with best processes and many of them just buy pre-made parts and do like polishing or just single op cutting of some parts so they can claim it's made in the US... even though it's 99% made in Asia.
At least some admit to it with "assembled in the US" or "global parts used". But many just outright lie and when caught, pay a small fine.
>>
File: button cutter.jpg (154 KB, 1075x605)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
>>1934992
I love that fusion supports adaptive roughing and finishing with button cutters now

this little guy should be useful for roughing out this half inch radius
>>
File: button cutter.jpg (125 KB, 1150x718)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>1935168
>>
>>1935108
Chinese do the same shit
they even bypassed the Trumps trade bickering with Huawei phones
they build 99% of the phone in china and send it to vietnam to add the cover on the phone and stamp it Made in Vietnam so the phone can be sold in USA
>>
File: 342592342.png (469 KB, 1030x731)
469 KB
469 KB PNG
Damn, wish I still had that double bass violin to trade.
>>
>>1935393
provided it's actually in good shape, I would be tempted to buy that at $1,000

another spindle is always useful (Unless it's a clapped out pos).
>>
>>1934931
I had a slit saw get hung up and shatter on me before. Fragments missed me but it happened like 10 inches from my face on bridgeport. Scared the fuck outta me
>>
Anybody in this general do anything cool or all we all in production work? I feel like we all do the same 15 jobs over and over. Anybody do rework, or tool and die, or automotive machining?
>>
>>1935473
I am picking up new jobs still, also I've just started doing online work again.

303 stainless parts, I hope they end up wanting more of them I'll be fucking rich.
>>
File: 20200625_152531.jpg (1.63 MB, 3264x2448)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB JPG
>>1935473
still doing a shitty job at gunsmithing
>>
>>1935473
I made 4 hollow screws with odd requirements out of excess material of unmarked metal and earned a bottle of konyak
Once we got a mould for rubber dicks and it was the most insane month because nobody could remain serious
The boss couldnt keep a straight face either
Most bombarded with jokes was the detail polisher dude
He had to polish each vein, each segment, everything
>>
https://youtu.be/wGfiYS2-woA?t=388

these inspection updates are pretty dank
>>
>>1935739
facing and parting got new features too in the turning menu
>>
>>1935748
Turning cam is borderline useless in fusion
>>
>>1935752
odd, I use it all the time.

mostly as a mill-turn though
>>
>>1935562
Nice. What're you doing in the pic?
>>
I hate chuck jaws with the little serrations that dig into the workpiece.

I had the jaws set where the line was just barely at the bottom of the "okay" section on the hydraulic chuck and the fucking workpiece would reposition it's self by like 15 thou cutting an eccentric where it's slipping back and forth where the serrations are.

The round insert cutter here: >>1935176
was the equivalent of smacking it with a hammer apparently and caused it to move in the jaws.
>>
>>1935975
>I hate chuck jaws with the little serrations that dig into the workpiece.
Hard jaws? Don't you have soft jaws? Or the company you work for has no budget? The round cutter has a lot of contact surface, try taking smaller cuts.
>>
>>1935981
15 thou doc and 0.008"/rev is still too much?

and not all hard jaws have the serrations, the serrations on these fuckers protrude up like spikes, not normal hard jaws
>>
File: example.jpg (47 KB, 479x639)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>1935984
I don't know what the stock diameter is but having sets of soft jaws machined for most common sizes is pretty useful for more precision and not to damage parts, but that goes with the budget. Usually we'd just put up the pressure if parts or stock was slipping, can't say I have a lot of experience with button cutters, we use them to machine aluminum extrusions, maybe try taking a little less, maybe .010" f.007. I think your biggest problem is work holding.
>>
>>1936000
yeah I already moved the jaws so they're in the right diameter range now for clamping, that was probably mostly the problem.
>>
>>1935838
was trying to thread the end of the barrel but the setup ended up being terrible so I bailed out on it. I really wish I had the budget to make a real irregular steady with a pillow block like I've seen some people using.
>>
What is the best edition of the Machinery's Handbook? Is it the best machining book?
>>
>>1935473
Machinist of two years here. I do rework on castings and forming dies and short run prototyping/pre production parts for the medical, aerospace, robotic, food packaging and military contract industries. Find a job shop anon. I went from " what's a forming tap" to "did the trochoidal milling programming boss that'll be 30 grand" in 2 years. A few scrapped parts and ignorance related injuries and crashed machines along the way. I like what I do but I'm not paid enough...
>>
>>1935562
Forgive my ignorance, but could you not hold it closer to the end of the barrel? Or conversely, just hold a tap with the tailstock?
>>
Looking for input on steel toe boots from all of you experienced machinist frens.

Never really had to stand for over 10 hours in a shift before so im nervous about picking boots without input.
>>
>>1936164
>I like what I do but I'm not paid enough...
Aren't we all? After 5 years i was making close to $19 CAD an hour including the evening shift bonus and I kept seeing listings for entry level factory jobs with $18 to $20 an hour starting salaries, talk about a fucking rip off.
>>
>>1936165
the threads at the end have close tolerance (+-.0005) for perpendicularity and fairly close for runout so ideally you want to be able to have 2 sets of adjustment like a 4 jaw chuck and a spider or the chuck and some kind of catshead. a lot of barrels are too short to go all the way through the headstock to use a spider or have a lug that won't fit though the spindle, so you either have to go between centers or use weird fixturing.
>>
>>1936167
All I can say is don't cheap out on boots, I've had cheap boots, and they fall apart and hurt your feet. My current pair are Kodiak Pathfinders with gel insoles and they are pretty comfortable. Just go to the store and try a few different pairs on and see whats comfortable. Some good socks doesn't hurt either, I've had worn out socks stretch out and bunch up under my toes, which hurt after standing for a while.
>>
>>1936167
If you aren't paying AT LEAST 60 dollars for your work boots you will pay for it later in foot and back pain. That being said sketchers have some slip resistant stuff made for oil field work that are pretty nice.
>>
>>1935473
i work in a full time manual department. All jobs are small run, one of a kinds, prototypes, repairs, modification jobs. There are repeat jobs but it's like once a year. New jobs and challenges everyday
>>
>>1936197
>>1936208
Too bad the pathfinders seem to be sold out everywhere near me. My budget is 120 atm and was leaning towards wolverine steel toe floorhands. I'd love to maybe get some red wings but thats more than i can afford atm.
>>
>>1936209
how do I get guder at manual machining? it's all I have at work but I'm constantly wishing I had cnc. how do you even make complex parts without busting out the rotary table and wanting to kill yourself?
>>
File: 001.jpg (4 KB, 250x250)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
I get sexual arousal when i take the burr off edges and smoke comes out and i can smell it
>>
>>1936428
i get worried when I am cutting stainless with an abrasive chop saw and I can smell it through the N95 mask and for an hour afterward
>>
I figure you guys would be able to answer my questions the best. I'm a hobbyist looking to get into machining for small to medium sized parts+guns and general-use work where I could be self sufficient and make my own shit. Is there a good combo of mill and lathe I should buy (new). I don't need a south bend design or anything huge and industrial but something prosumer would be nice I just don't know what brands are worth a damn. I don't think this should break more than 7-10k for the capability that I need
>>
>>1936448
>I don't need a south bend design or anything huge and industrial but something prosumer would be nice I just don't know what brands are worth a damn.
Majority of new lathes are made in china or asia in the same few factories, and there is no real in between "prosumer" machines that I am aware of. You have the home user stuff and the industrial machines. You're best bet is going used for older machines, problem is you usually buying a project. As for brands they buy up lathes from Chinese factories and do extra QC to them and charge extra for them.
>>
>>1936438
sounds like your mask doesn't fit
>>
>>1936448
if you want to work on guns you need a big lathe. I wouldn't go smaller than 14x40. on the other hand you want the shortest headstock possible. if you have 7k buy a used industrial lathe and a bridgeport.
>>
damn, setting tool offsets sucks
>>
File: ravens.png (490 KB, 1941x522)
490 KB
490 KB PNG
father in law is a ravens fan, so i'm going to mill this out for him. It'll be 4.5 inches tall and near 10 wide.
hopefully I'll get around to it tomorrow.
>>
>>1936952
What's he going to do with it?
>>
>>1936952
is that the mastercam cam simulation?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwGdhKxFpcU
>>
Well I am realizing that I suck at setting tool offsets, but machining is so much easier with better equipment.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbfm4nyu8Ro
>>
>>1937207
It'll be for a wall decoration for his new house. Unless he throws it away I guess.
>>1937216
Estlcam.
>>
rrrree

couple of inverted drill point angles at the bottom of 2 of the holes, didn't notice that until now.

probably just an error in the model or something, but now I have to wait and find out.
>>
>>1937374
oh shit, it's totally just an error in the model.
the solidworks PRT file has them in normally, as well as the .STL.
>>
I'd like to get my first mill (small-ish).
I'm looking at a Grizzly G0761, but I'm told I should really get a knee mill. Is this the case?
Is there a comparable small knee mill I should be looking at?
>>
>>1937609
Old iron that isn't clapped out.
>>
File: 1582827844807.gif (1.95 MB, 250x250)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB GIF
>>1935677
>a bottle of konyak
>>
>>1937609
buy as physically big as you can get, these arent easy to move and arent cheap. Its not something you can easily just upgrade willy nilly without burden.
>>
File: bang for buck.jpg (186 KB, 657x755)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
looks like american rotary is having a giant sale, "scratch and dent"

best bang for buck for powering old manual equipment, CNC I would step up to digital phase converter like I'm using.
>>
File: capture.png (194 KB, 1918x983)
194 KB
194 KB PNG
>>1935168
where is this toolpath? I just updated but I cant find it/dont know where it is.
Probably the cock for dolly on this part
>>
>>1935473
run a floor mill with 33.5x12.5ft of travel in a job shop, mostly military work with high mix/low volume and some prototyping
>>
>>1938098
ummm which one?

hover cursor over the toolpath and it should tell you what it is

also, top click "milling" if it's milling or "turning" if it's turning
>>
>>1938098
and you can turn off the in-process stock generation with the little toggle on the top menu
>>
>>1938101
for adaptive turning, I am pretty sure I dont have a button or option. I am trying to look in the fusion updates for where it might be.
>>
>>1938103
oh it's the same turning roughing but it works with button cutters now
>>
File: 1565613559686.jpg (172 KB, 940x627)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>aluminum soft jaws on stainless bar
>hydraulic pressure gauge in the middle
>part slips back 0.013" and fucks it

sheieeet

I'm going to squeeze this fucker like a banana this time and hope for the best.
>>
>>1936725
>>1937287
>>
File: doom jaws.jpg (168 KB, 1076x605)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>1938248
Yeah I meant for the live tool blocks. pretty much just have to either cut a test part or put gage pins into them
>>
File: doom jaws2.jpg (234 KB, 1076x605)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>>1938263
pic is what not to do
>>
File: doom jaws3.jpg (234 KB, 605x1076)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>>1938265
>>
File: IMG_20201026_174413.jpg (3.86 MB, 3000x3000)
3.86 MB
3.86 MB JPG
Peasant cnc router hobbyists allowed here?
Just recorded this last night, the rapids are nice
https://youtu.be/_zs7ypb2CTM
>>
>>1938364
that's a pretty bad-ass router for a hobbyist
>>
>>1938364
Pretty nice setup. What sort of accuracy you get with that?
>>
>>1938381
thanks
>>1938384
No idea yet. The motors have 1000ppr encoders so with the 1605 ballscrews it's theoretically 0.005mm.
The 78x19.2 mm part measured 78.00x19.19 off the machine, I'm happy with that considering the chinese spindle, toolholders, workholding etc.
Haven't tested repeatability yet with the new proximity home sensors.
>>
>>1938406
is that thing 30 taper too?
>>
>>1938453
ISO20, they're cute
>>
Speaking of cnc routers...i have a bunch of solid carbide endmills ("router endmills" since they are intended for cnc routers, I guess) that are too dull to use, but not really damaged; does anybody ever get their solid carbide endmills resharpened?
>>
>>1938274
>tfw the one offset I thought was good was too far out
>>
>>1938364

Source/specs on the spindle? Getting real tired of manual tool changes on mine.
>>
>>1938406
That's great. What was the overall cost so far?
For a hobby machine it's pretty pro. You could do a lot with that.
>>
>>1938475
I got a 1/2" endmill resharpened once by a friend who wanted to test his grinding fixture. it worked well enough I guess but I didn't have to pay for it.
>>
File: IMG_20201027_000420.jpg (1.08 MB, 1500x1500)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
Threadmilled on my router for the first time today, didn't break it and it only took me 4 tries to get a good outer thread diameter that worked
>>1938479
Jiangen JGL-80/1.5R24-20 : 80mm spindle, 1.5kw, 24k rpm, iso20
I can recommend them although I get this resonant whine coming from the spindle every now and then, not sure what's up with the bearings
Also tell them to declare $400 or something low when importing or you'll get trump tarrif'd
>>1938520
Somewhere between $8-10k, maybe more if I count all the tools I've bought along the way
I treat it as a hobby but yeah, already working on some fixtures to put parts into production.
>>
It's not exactly a machining question, but I'm in the market for a plasma table for under 8k. Anyone used any that are pretty decent?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxmeGL0t1z0
>>
>>1938263
I noticed another guy with an old SL-25 saying parts were slipping in his chuck on practicalmachinist, they suggested adjusting the hydraulic pump.

3rd attempt part it seemed to hold in place very well even with the soft jaws (high hydraulic pressure), after removing a lot of material Z 0 was a couple tenths off. Could be from the material moving on me instead of sliding in the chuck.
>>
File: 1493131853935.jpg (66 KB, 1024x768)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
M01;
N100
IF[#ANONGE#JEWISH]GOTO1488;
M99
N1488 G54 G0 X50.036 Y19.175;
(SEE GOOGLE MAPS)
GOTO100
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (90 KB, 800x750)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>1938475
If you take them to a competent regrind shop, resharpened solid carbide tools will produce just as well as new tools.
Notice how I said competent, when I worked in a regrind shop I would routinely rework hack jobs done by other places.
There is a reason people have bad things to say about resharpened tools, lots of hacks out there.

Its actually pretty expensive to get the carbide sharpened, so it makes sense at a large scale where companies have budgeted out how many parts per tool, and how many regrinds per tool and they keep track of all that.
But then your offsets are all always changing because the more damaged the tool, the more material has to come off to sharpen it again, so the diameters of each tool will all be different once resharpened.
Sharpening solid carbide endmills was most of the business, because the backtaper change was never really enough of an issue, carbide drills have a TON of life.

Its a trade off, being a pain in the ass and dealing with a grinding company and then having odd shaped tools vs just paying the extra for fresh tools.

There are all sorts of machines of varying price you can buy, you can learn the geometries and build enough skill to sharpen your own shit. With the pic related chinese Deckel clone you can grind every operation with them including re-fluting.
I learned how to do it all by hand on a Cincinnati #2 with jigs before moving onto 5 axis CNC grinders, so I know I could just jump on one of these chinkshit machines and grind away. But its not a fast process, its actually annoying and finicky on actual quality machines let alone the chinese mini clones. And you cant match the existing geometries well (which a real shop does)

So even me, someone who spent 3 years doing this shit and has the skills to use the home grinder, I dont really plan on buying and owning one. Its far too much work, standard endmills are not special enough to spend the time and effort grinding them.
>>
>>1938364
I bought the standard tan 6040 cnc router on ebay last month, been real busy last few weeks and havent really cut anything with it.
Your looks pretty fucking kitted out.

I dont think ill ever upgrade it to the point you have, I want to do mostly wood stuff with it.
>>
>>1938795
Joe is a great machinist, but he has an awful personality
>>
every got-danged time,some stupid mistake has me working right up to the deadline and usually beyond it.

I think I'm just gonna get a damn job and try real estate.
>>
>>1939127
I think I just fuck shit up when I get tired or something.
>>
>>1938934
It's a great machine hope you have fun. I was using the 6040 stock for a long time but I was starting to get PTSD from all the issues from mach3 and the controller it came with. I love machining, but the worst feeling in the world is when shit goes wrong and it's not your fault.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (75 KB, 1107x500)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
how long should it take to make this part? it took me about 4 hours from cutting the stock with a hacksaw because the shop is too cheap to buy a bandsaw to taking it out of the park tank. I feel like I should have been able to do it in half the time. we charged the guy $120 for the part.
>>
MOTHER FUCKING Tormach spindle drive failed.

Or something. Slight crash moving the Z down into the part, stopped the spindle abruptly. Could be just a fuse, but I don't have time to fix it and do the work too.
>>
>>1939272
If it doesn't take you hours to set tool offsets properly like it did me, that's a reasonable time span.

The parts I was making have radial drilled holes on one end, some axial drilled holes on both ends, and a couple pockets on the back end, with one being a tiny 0.070" wide slot. Oh and some thin milled "tabs" protruding from the front end that the radial holes go through.

So not only do you have to have a second operation on it, you have to index it properly so everything lines up (for the pockets on the back end). It also has a lot of material removed and is in 303 stainless, with a couple important radiuses in the middle turned section. Also gets turned down to like 0.500" in the middle area so lots of chatter.
>>
>>1934935
Good point most non-weldors forget. Grind that shit off manually with a flap disc (polishes as it cuts and much stronger/safer than a grinding rock) before machining.
Also remember grinders remove enough metal that (for example) if you're going to bevel the end of a pipe on a lathe you can remove the torch cut area and grind much of the bevel like fitters do in the field then machine the rest.
>>
>>1935393
Poor bastard didn't know a VFD is under 150 and gives speed control without changing belt position. I have a round ram I'm refitting and getting rid of the old, complex wiring is nice too.

My bro took the Keith Rucker course after he scored a dovetail ram with a stuck gib for 500. We used the Forrest Addy (a genius on Practical Machnist) method to free it by disassembling the mill (not hard) and he's scraping it before rebuild so he'll have an effectively new BP.
>>
>>1936171
Many machinists become millwrights for that reason. Learn to weld if you don't already and study controls etc. Every machinist should be able to fab.
>>
>>1936540
^^^This^^^
You do need full sized machines, but they're not hard to move and save hundreds you can spend on tooling instead (I don't pay riggers) on your own by bolting crossbeams beneath the head and tailstock on lathes and to the base of mills so they cannot tip. Pipe rollers or industrial casters or scaffolding casters (the larger the wheels the better) handle the friction and make final positioning easy. You can rent hydraulic drop deck trailers cheaper than paying a rigger if you lack a suitable trailer. You don't need three phase power, you need a VFD for each machine for the control advantages and they're cheap online.
Little hobbyfag machines tend to sell for more money because noobs fear full sized tools but the little shit is crippled by comparison.
>>
>>1938930
This. My shopownerbro can grind accurately in his sleep but it's a money waster when he could be machining instead. His grinders are only used when he needs something special or immediately.
>>
>>1939634
Time to sell it on facebook and forget all about Tormach I think.

Might pick up an old Fadal instead of getting gas heat this winter.
>>
File: IMG_20201028_104032986.jpg (2.06 MB, 3264x2448)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
I made a retard-strength vise handle today. They said there was nothing to do so I either had to find a way to be busy, or go home. Delrin grips turned, drilled and pressed into the rods. Rods were manually single point threaded to thread into the broached hex part that I had to start with. I am very happy with the extra torque you can get with an additional 2.5 inches of leverage on each rod
>>
>>1939931
Just buy a haas or another mori, or go and buy an older mazak
>>
How to I learn how to cut gears in a shithole soulless production shop? How do I get better when my job is to fucking drill and tap holes all day?
>>
>>1939950
until you get the vise back on the table (presuming it's on a CNC machine with a bigger table than a lame old knee mill) and you realize wah wah wah the handles are too long
>>
>>1940013
surely that job is temporary..? that's something a robot or a chinese person would be doing.
>>
>>1940062
Its for a Bridgeport, copied the dimensions of one we already had that I really liked
>>
am I going to fuck up my fancy pipe facing cutter by trying to run it with a cordless drill? normally it goes in the lathe. the cutter has a piloted center that fits in one end and then I stuff the other end in a center on the tailstock and hold the pipe while I feed the ram in. this one I need to do is plugged in one end so I can't use that setup. before anyone asks it's for easily squaring up ends after they've been band sawed without having to dial in a chuck.
>>
Not to be the most reddit post on /diy/ tonight but holy shit I'm so glad I happened upon this thread.

I'm a mostly green dude with only 3 years of experience in this field but I fucking love everything about machining, the history, the things we can do, and the insane advancements you see at the trade shows.

I went from a lost degenerate working an awful labor job to getting a chance at a poorly run but high precision shop doing military contract parts as well as more simple shit, then moved into the glass industry working with castings.

Won the birth-date lottery and was first pick for an external program for metalworking at the glass industry job but unfortunately I've been on temporary layoff for almost 4 months.

I'm completely not sober rn but god bless yall and I cant wait to see all the neat shit posted here.

Bask in my beautiful semi-brown chip from a kaiser double-bore head. Probably my favorite tool while being my least favorite thing to run in a 30(?) taper haas.
>>
>>1934931
I had this happen with with a bit of customer provided 25mm plate (chinese plate). brand new 20mm HSS-Co rougher chugging along with flood coolants at a fairly low feedrate because I was taking it easy. heard it loading up when I was setting up a job in the lathe, the feed overload starting clicking and then the cunt shattered.

I had to go back in with carbide to mill the hard spot out and even when I was done you could see difference in surface finish on the hard spots
>>
Has anyone found a good use for Vibratite VC-3?
I bought some and am kind of underwhelmed by it
>>
>>1940301
>I've been on temporary layoff for almost 4 months
About two here. What fun. Fake pandemics causing real problems.
>>
>>1940596
Whats fake about it?
>>
>>1940602
The severity of it combined with the virtue signalling. The CDC numbers show only 6k-7k healthy people died. China is back up and running because they don't have all the politics we have around it.

Have you heard about those three people who just died in France from Covid? Poor things. One was found with her head fallen off and the other two had gaping chest wounds. Wear the mask, goy, so your gramma doesn't suffer.
>>
>>1940611
top kek, what's it like falling for memes and being a retard, I'll never know.
>>
>>1940611
Its clear there is nothing anyone can say to change your mind.
Itll affect you or one of your loved ones soon enough, then maybe youll stop spouting rhetoric.

I cant say I blame you really, I didnt change my mind until a few weeks ago when it personally affected me.
>>
>>1940630
It did personally affect me. I had it. Was pretty much knocked out for a week. And now I'm all better. Literally felt like a flu with symptoms that last twice as long.

Many other people have been personally affected by it too - jobs lost, savings drained, homes foreclosed - all for something to blame on dRUMPhlegorg.
>>
>>1940611
Yeah, China went from the extreme welding people into their homes and walking around with assault rifles until they figured out it was a nothingbatger.
>>
>>1940640
Sure
Like I said, one of these days you or someone you know will actually get it and you will actually realize how you are blindly regurgitating false rhetoric.
You are politicizing something as partisan when the whole world who doesnt give a shit about your partisan views have reacted accordingly.
>>
>>1940645
1) it has affected me. I had it. My wife has the antibodies for it, so she has had it (although had no symptoms). Her brother had it. My parents' close friends had it. Sorry your asthmatic, morbidly obese 89yo gramma died from it. Or was it your cousin, who died from it after he forgot his parachute while skydiving?
2) those playing it as an extreme world-ending "pandemic" are those politicizing it. US reaction has us below the per capita infection rate of other first world countries. In fact, there is no real pattern between being first world or third world in who has more deaths per capita. Sorry I don't get propaganda drip-fed to me 24/7 while turning rebar on a kiddie lathe.
>>
File: IMG_20201029_093208265.jpg (2.14 MB, 3264x2448)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB JPG
Jr toolmaker here. Posting one of the sketchiest setups I've ever gotten away with. Had to make some clearance cuts on a welding fixture. Yes it was loud, I could see with my eyeballs the work vibrating violently
>>
>>1940725
smaller endmill.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3zp1KVFdhk
>>
>>1940725

Should've used a few c-clamps would've cut down on the noise and made it more stable
>>
>>1940725
how do I become a tool and die maker?
>>
>>1940662
>if I keep lying through my teeth, people will believe me, and ill keep convincing myself this is all a big conspiracy theory

We get it, you are bad with money and live paycheck to paycheck.
>>
File: kys, wrongfag.jpg (179 KB, 940x1140)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>1941393
>he can't be telling the truth because I already decided that if you get the holocough you will die or be forever maimed because me and my family meet all the disgusting, controllable comorbidity factors

>heh, he has to be poor for some made up reason.
Inb4 "oh that's all you have?" No, this is what I'm showing to show I'm not paycheck to paycheck. Gosh you're such a nigger.
>>
sweet, hvac place dropped off my new furnace

but i have this weird stiffness in my neck

need to call propane place and ask them to check out a tank i have
>>
yo tormachboy, and all otheres who apply,
are you iso9001? id i remembeer you are for XOM, is that shit hard to get or just a cash grab?
is it just a test on standards for quality checks n shit?
>>
>>1941410
You have to be compliant, but not pay the fee for certification and actually do it.

More important is that you have a good Quality Management System QMS and calibrate your measurement equipment on a regular basis.
>>
>>1941414
(calibrating measuring equipment just means checking them at various intervals with gauge blocks or pins, normally)
>>
>>1937609
You can find Bridgeports for 2500-3500 on CL often but they weigh 2000-2500 lbs.
That grizzly is 750lbs which will still be a pain in the ass.

depends what you want to do with it really
Stefan Gotteswinter does his side business of high precision prototyping on a mill like that grizzly. (Optimum MB4)
>>
>>1938364
very cool, how much does that setup run?
>>
>>1941399
>repeatedly lies and misrepresents facts to push his rhetoric
>surprised when nobody believes his wild anecdotes
>somehow thinks his photoshopped screenshot means anything

The only thing anyone can be sure of is that you have to be upside down on a lot of loans or something. I mean why else would this trigger you so much? Begging and pleading your boss to lie and say you are essential to keep the house of cards of poor financial decisions from toppling over on you.

This is literally you and everyone else who holds your retard views. Turn it into politics to shift the blame.
SAD!
>>
>>1941465
>gets shown proof of something
>"must be fake"
>yet believes Shanghai shivers misinformation
>calls someone a conspiracy theorist and a liar
>still hasn't provided any proof of his own
BigThink.jpg
>>
>>1941465
>The only thing anyone can be sure of is that you have to be upside down on a lot of loans or something. I mean why else would this trigger you so much?
Maybe some people want to move forward in life and have dreams and goals they want to achieve, and don't want to wait god knows how long for shit to get back to normal?
>>
>>1941477
When observing shills, you will notice they never formulate arguments in favor of their preferred belief or point. They never give you evidence or examples of what makes them believe something. What are their views? What do they believe? All they do is attack you and insult you for having your positions. they try to conflate your points to those of "undesirable" or extreme groups.

Their goal is not to convince of something else, only make you stop having confidence in your view. Their goal is simply to turn you away from the truth; demoralize you. If you are confused, conflicted, or hopeless, they are happy.
>>
>>1941434
>>1941414

yeah i understand the part about audits and having all the paperwork, having your measuring tools in calibration within the set date, and probably mostly paper work/records, but is there like anything to do with machining? or it is just a series a records and paper work about everything?

>You have to be compliant, but not pay the fee for certification and actually do it.

are you saying you are "iso9001 compliant" meaning you follow the guidelines but dont pay, and/or you also wont get audits?
and meaning "iso9001 certified" meaning paying into and being a member?
>>
>>1941519
The only real benefit of having an ISO 9001 certification is getting customers that are more fussy about where their parts are made. In my limited experience that's a bad thing, since those customers are usually cunts, and will be fussy about everything and will send shit back even if its to spec of their own drawings.
>>
>>1941519
compliant means you don't have the cert, yes
I have never had an inspector out here.
>>
File: mobile lathe mobile.png (426 KB, 736x595)
426 KB
426 KB PNG
>>1940301
I made a gay supercut of pictures and clips. I couldn't find my favorite one though, at my first job we had an ST-10 lathe and I 3D printed a "setup key" for it so I could run the machine with the door open.

https://youtu.be/Tao0xgmpnTg
>>
>>1941757
now that's the dirty hand of a well-greased machinist
>>
>>1941757
also that old haas is pretty dank, lots of chatter on those cuts, tarrrible
>>
>>1941850
good lord dude that job was an actual week from hell with a greenhorn getting fired over the prep work he did. Don't get me started.

The idea was using a modified HSS side cutting mill but with a 45* angle ground in, and they wanted to use JUST that tool. Did 1 cut and the tool broke so we had to add in that screamer to rough.
>>
>>1941876
was it hardened or something?
>>
>>1941892
not at all really, just cast iron. The only thing on hand to rough with was on a solid 8" shank IIRC hence the chatter.
>>
>>1941414
When I tried to do it they wanted actual certs and itar.

Fucks sake, I am not paying 10k just to be able to get on their platform.
>>
>>1942094
Email the guy in charge and ask nicely, it's what I did.
>>
>>1941028
Be better mechanically than all the other production machinists at the shop. When some assembly line retard needs a tool made/modified and asks the overwhelmed sr toolmaker for some work, offer to take it off his hands. This is how I did it. I have only been at it a year tho. It feels more like being a mechanic than a machinist
>>
>>1942137
...why didn't I think of that.
>>
>>1942332
It's probably easier to become one of their partners now, they have like a million new shops added. Xom is growing pretty damn quick.
>>
Sup bois, I'm an idiot and broke an ez out in a bolt, what kind of drill bits can I use on on those things? Cobalt? Carbide?
>>
>>1942413
Carbide probably.

In other news, Titan says we should vote for manufacturing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeEEli-ZWts
>>
>>1942413
The only kennametal go-drill I have ever bought I am still using, it's basically indestructible I think.

Really quality carbide drill bit.
>>
new ToT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN-Pkbeu52E
>>
>>1942253
do you have to start at a production shop then? what kinds of things do you make?
>>
>>1941465
Stop being a stupid nigger you dumb faggot.
>>
>>1942413
Don't use cobalt especially in a cordless. No rigitity means it'll get shredded bouncing off the hardneded tool steel (EZ out) every revolution. When I really have to give her hell with a cordless I'll use an old fucked up 1/4 carbide endmill so I don't feel bad when it inevitably gets destroyed. If you have a drill press and a way to bolt everything down to minimize the bouncing you may be able to use cobalt if you go slower than shit

All kinds of random shit. It's hard to explain without showing. Somebody will come to you with an issue or machine will fuck up or something and it's your job to use your knowledge of mechanics and tools of the machine shop to fix the problem. Ive cut press dies, reworked cnc punches, helped pull countless broken taps/stripped bolts out of shit, made custom tools on the fly to help maintenance fix stuff, pulled giant surface grinder rollers and set them up in a lathe and tailstock to true them up etc. I can get extremely hectic
>>
>>1942574
Second be paragraph meant to reply to >>1942505
>>
>>1935677
>So what do you do for a job anon
>Professional knob polisher
I could barely type this out, the mental image is solid gold
>>
>>1935975
Ever tried using soft shim?
>>
>>1942592
not so easy on a hydraulic chuck, the issue was the part sliding in the jaws anyway.
>>
>>1942574
do you work by yourself or do you have someone to help you?
>>
>>1942608
I work for someone, helping him who's been doing it for 25 years. Without him I'd probably be fucked. People will ask him for stuff and he'll hand the easier stuff to me and a word of advice on how to fix it and that's the workday
>>
File: calipers holder.jpg (164 KB, 867x831)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
putting the old 3d printer to good use, making some holsters for commonly used tools so I can magnet them to the door of the lathe

the little holes in the back are for 1/4" magnets
>>
What does a center drill that reads #2 x 82° mean?
>>
>>1942732
#2 diameter, if you google it, you should get a chart. It means 3/16 dia. body with a 5/64 dia. point. 82° is the angle of the cutting edge/lip, I think 60° is more common.
>>
>>1942742
Follow up, I'm guessing the angle has to match that of the live center.
>>
>>1942709
damn I wish I had a job like that. I work alone so if I don't know how to do something it really sucks. how much do you get paid?
>>
>>1941465
Holy fuck, you started out stronger than him, then went full retard. How can one embarrass oneself to such an extent with so few posts? Hate empty colloquialisms like this, but all I can ask is what's your fucking problem?
>>
>>1942822
Well I also provide notepad programs for the turning area so if I get stuck there I'm completely fucked, I'm the only lathe programmer they have. I bounce between prototyping on lathes and working in the toolroom. I also have done office type programming of 4 axis laser tubing cutters, and run shitloads of fab type equipment like waterjets, plasma cutters, manual breaks, manual punches presses and dies, edm cutters, hell even varsol tanks and sandblasters etc. I am the most well rounded machinist they have by far. I've done finish grinding and assembly too. They could send me anywhere in the shop and I would be fine after 3 days. Been there two years and make 18.50 but I guess I'm still young. I'm getting raped on pay. The """"team lead"""" of the machine shop who is a decade older and definitely makes more than me can't even switch from collet to three jaws on our manual lathe
>>
>>1934818
I got some aluminum hub spacers made for my car with aftermarket wheels. Toyota 4runner hub bore is 106.2mm, I ordered hub centric rings and they came as 106.2mm and won't fit because they are the exact size of the hole they're going in (I told the fuckin dude on the phone they should be a tad bit smaller so they'll fit and he said Oh I guarantee they'll fit).

I tried heating up the wheel and put the rings in the freezer for an hour but it didn't help at all.

I don't have a lathe obviously, but is there anything I can do to make them fit? Is it stupid to try to sand the rings down a bit with sand paper? Sending them back isn't a great option, I won't have them back in time for my trip to Moab.
>>
>>1942897
if you can mount it concentric to the centerline in a drill chuck you can sand it yes, just try to do it evenly

it won't take much sanding with a fine grit to remove a thousandth or two.
>>
>>1942900
>if you can mount it concentric to the centerline in a drill chuck
Any suggestions?
>>
>>1942902
just find a way to make it rotate while you sand on it, otherwise it won't be round afterward
>>
>>1942742
>>1942746
>>1942732
its a center drill that is also a countersink for (some use 100°) imperial counter sunk screws most likely, i have a 90° one for metric screws

>>1942505
it really depends on what the company you work at and their requirements for tool and die. tool and die has less to do with production machining and more to do with production production. So, yes jigs and fixtures, skilled maintenance and repairs, are a part of it. If you go to a shop that does heavy stamping for automotive frame parts, you could be strictly grinding punches down for pm, day in day out, you might be setting up dies for production and bringing them into spec for thickness/width/etc. in a molding shop, you could be burning cavities on the EDM after welding them, or just straight up polishing them to a nice finish. it depends on what the company does. "how do i get into tool and die" he keeps asking. you can go do pre-apprenticeship school or something, but find a factory type place that isnt a machineshop, one that does stamping or molding, they will have a tool and die department , and send you to tool and die school. it starts off like machinist school, then goes more in depth on jigs/fixtures and molds/dies

https://youtu.be/p-cL1nrkBk0

this is what my tool and die life is like, we made a die almost identical to this a few months ago,
>>
>>1942838
>but all I can ask is what's your fucking problem?

People are getting offended, but that doesnt change reality. I dont really care how I look. Im not the one who was bringing up terrorist attacks in France to shoehorn in red herrings.

The lockdowns have pretty much only caused financial trouble to the poor and those who were living on thin ice in the first place.

Maybe 1/3 of the states mandated having a mask and social distancing. Thats it, every single business called themselves essential so the very few states that went into lockdown for maybe 2-3 weeks 6 months ago were out financially.
Business has literally not changed, to whine and complain about "I know people who have foreclosed on their house and drained their savings" while being in a machinist thread is horse shit.
Sorry you got your hours cut at Outback Steakhouse and are about to get kicked out of your apartment.

People who have skated by in years past with poor financial decisions are trying to pretend an unprecedented worldwide event doesnt exist, they are actively trying to put your parents and grandparents lives at risk.

And quite frankly I hope those people get foreclosed on and have to live in their brand new truck they couldnt actually afford.
On one hand they say "just dont be fat" "Just dont be old" "Just dont have any hereditary or congenital diseases"

How about dont be poor and bad with money and you would have escaped the reality you are in.
Pull yourself up by your bootstraps anon, this is the land of opportunity remember?
>>
File: hcr1_1.jpg (34 KB, 650x335)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>1942900
>>1942902
This is what it looks like. Center bore is 67.1mm
>>
>>1942908
oh!

yeah, do you have a drill or an air die grinder or something?

if it's the ID you want to sand on then you can just put a strip of sandpaper in a rod and spin that inside of the bore
>>
>>1942912
it needs to spin pretty fast... don't know if an electric drill on high speed is fast enough, might be
>>
>>1942912
take a rod that will fit in your chuck, hacksaw a slot into it on the far end, insert sandpaper and spin it inside the bore

the sandpaper expands from centrifugal force and sands on the sides of the bore reasonably evenly
>>
>>1942912
>>1942916
Nonono it's the outside diameter that's too big, unfortunately.
>>
>>1942908
>>1942918
Basically need to remove a total of .1 mm from the flat part of the outside diameter with perfect concentricity. I don't think the bevel will be an issue.
>>
>>1942918
ok, good thats easy

-take said rod, wrap it in tape until the ring fits snugly over top
-take sand paper in one hand and hold it around the part, and spin the drill with the other hand. keep moving the sand paper to expose fresh grit, do it wet also
>>
>>1942924
>wrap it in tape until the ring fits snugly over top
That was actually one of my first thoughts. I'm concerned it will end up throwing off the concentricity still, even a tiny bit off and I'll have wheel vibtations.
>>
>>1942946
you do it until its a tight fit. , once you see how long it takes to remove .05mm you will be reassured.
>I'm concerned it will end up throwing off the concentricity still, even a tiny bit off and I'll have wheel vibtations.

the time to care about vibrations was before you got hub spacers and a 4runner.
>>
>>1942711
turned out pretty good actually
>>
>>1942905
A center drill is a drill for fitting a live center to the workpiece, correct?
>>
>>1943031
Yes, or for guiding long (or short) drills. It can also be used to locate holes so they can be drilled later.
>>
>>1934818

I build speakers and I am thinking of buying an i beam of mild steel and making an array, maybe sit it on top of a concrete subwoofer.

If I want to drill 100mm to 150mm holes into Mild steel maybe in the ranges of 5mm - 15mm thick (don't know how thick I beam is exactly... how would I do so in a home diy environment.

Can I use a $100-200 9 speed 500w pillar drill and a HSS carbide tipped core type drill bit... I have some pipe threader oil... I could add oil as it cuts. Am I right in thinking Low speed, high power and add oil... Obviously step drill bit is too small.

I realise when drilling masonry with high speed Diamond tipped core bits you need a drill with a clutch to stop breaking your wrist...

I haven't purchased a pillar drill yet.
>>
>>1943099
I'm not sure a cheap little drill press is going to run a core drill. You might need to buy a heavy duty mag-drill.
>>
File: dewalt mag drill.jpg (134 KB, 739x1000)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>1943099
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWE1622K-2-Speed-Magnetic-2-Inch/dp/B00N3HSVXK/ref=asc_df_B00N3HSVXK/
>>
>>1943553
that one is only a 2 inch boring diameter though
>>
>>1943099
>>1943556
Those Mag Drills are pretty readily rentable and you only really get any sort of economy with those annular cutters if you use them enough to justify resharpening, look for some sort of industrial rental contractor in your area, it shouldn't be much more that 50-100$ for a day with cutters included.
>>
How clean do you need the holes? A jig saw would be pretty decent.
>>
I'm going to make a drive gear connected to a hexagon bolt head so I can raise and lower the table to my bridgeport with an impact driver instead of blowing my fucking arm out every day. The part will be machined complete out of 303ss. Will this be hard enough to not get rounded by the impact driver on the hexagon bolt head? Is there an easier way to do this? The drive gear will look like pic related with a hex head instead of a shaft coming out of the back
>>
Does anyone have one of those crappy little 3018 cncs? Been thinking about picking one up for a project I have in mind where I need to Mill out some acrylic/polycarbonate/whatever to make plastic casting molds. They don't need to be very big and I don't feel like spending five grand on a little desktop CNC mill for a little project like this so I'm hoping that might be the answer but I'd rather get some feedback before I jump in just in case anyone has one, because of course stuff like Amazon reviews are basically worthless because it's like "durr I tightened a bolt too hard and the screw stripped out worst thing I ever had in my life 0/5 stars"
>>
>>1943711
that's probably the right way to do it

i think the one I have someone made with a hex key socket or something though
>>
>>1943716
I was also thinking of making the drive gear and then just welding a socket to the back of it, which is cheating imo
>>
>>1942891
damn I'm getting $20 an hour and I started 11 months ago. I end up working 30m-1h unpaid overtime every day though and the area is really expensive on top of the job being pretty stressful so I'm considering taking a pay cut to go somewhere else. I don't know who is hiring though and my resume is still not that great.
>>
>>1943711
Wouldn't you be better off using a regular cordless drill? An impact would be hard on the screws, no? Wouldn't mild steel be marginally harder then stainless?
>>
>>1943755
as long as it's a good fit it shouldn't be hard on the teeth anyway
>>
is there a cheaper but still good alternative to a long probe interapid?
>>
>>1943712
I have one 3018 Pro that I am modifying for Desktop Small parts from aluminum, brass and bronze . It will out of the box cut wood and Plastics with no problem. It has a learning curve because it so cheap.

I would recommend the 300W or 500W spindle upgrade though, unless you want to take all day to make one small mold.

It is cheap and you will have to stiffen/bolt it down to something sturdy to get accurate results..
>>
>>1943797
Different anon interested in the same cnc mill. What needs to be done to help it cut aluminum?
>>
>>1943797
good to hear its at least plausible. yeah ive been messing with an ender 3 for the past couple months so im down with the modification and customization aspect, though i know machining is a whole nother beast compared to printing.
do you know of an affordable product/way to give it more z height? its 45mm from the end of the motor shaft, but the collar itself looks like it takes up half of that. 40-50mm of actual usable space would be more than enough but if it costs the price of the machine just for that...
>>
File: scribe-secure.jpg (636 KB, 3388x2596)
636 KB
636 KB JPG
What is the minimum percentage of thread engagement for an 8-32UNC-2B thread in aluminum?
>>
>>1944404
What's the original hex stock dimensions? Also just do a scale drawing. It's gonna be bout 5/16 though
>>
>>1944431
>original hex stock dimensions
I think its 0.625" in thickness.
>>
>>1944404
internal minor diameter minimum 0.130" to 0.139"

get your own copy of machinery's handbook 30th
>>
>>1944443
amusingly 3b is 0.1300" to 0.1389"
>>
>>1944443
so that's the hole size range for 2b
>>
>>1944439
If it's 5/8 point to point your minimum engagement will be 0.170632938682 inches.
>>

Your drawing threw me off. I used the OD at first. This is correct when considering the hole is 1/8 and not .2
>>
>>1944458
If you'd like an explanation I have nothing to do all day.
>>
>>1944454
>>1944458
>>1944459
I think your definition of thread engagement is different than mine. I am not referring to the axial length of the threaded hole, but the radial depth of each individual groove.
>>
File: 20201103_182109[1].jpg (3.52 MB, 4160x3120)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB JPG
>>1943854

It "will" cut aluminum out the box. it will take for ever for it to do so. here is a part I cut with the bits that came with it and all stock construction took 6 hours. I would serious consider a spindle upgrade for $100 at a minimum before you start cutting aluminum.

>>1943882
I have an ender 3 as well I got it 2 years ago its a different Bag of skills to CNC vs 3D print. the good news is that the bulk of what you need to know carries though both and the would be CAM/ 3d modeling.

so far as Z height that is my next project after i get my spindle upgrade squared away. I have seen alternatives but nothing to get excited about. I can I make a decent one out of aluminum with what I have. you are lucky to get 30mm with everything in place
>>
File: 20201103_182809[1].jpg (3.15 MB, 4160x3120)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB JPG
>>1944488

better Pic fully cut on stock 3018 PRO CNC
>>
>>1944474
Oh, in that case I don't know. Being thin aluminum, you could drill a slightly undersize hole and still be able to tap it.
That should give you better engagement.
>>
>>1944492
>>1944488
So it's rigid enough to do aluminum? Spindle upgrade should be easy. I'm guessing an upgraded spindle could still run on 110V outlets.
>>
>>1944492
That one of those tesla valves?
>>
>>1944510
So I'm guessing tapping is easier on aluminum. The general rule of thumb is 75% thread engagement. I am just curious if it could be less for aluminum given the application as a scribe.
>>
>>1944731
Aluminum is way easier to tap. Seeing as how your making a scribe, and the tip is in a blind hole, the tip will bottom out and will provide all the support you need. The set screw is just keeping it from falling out. If you undersize your hole by a 64th it will hold your set screw quite a bit tighter and should keep it from coming lose.
>>
>>1944742
I think 1/64" would be less than 75% engagement, not more.
>>
On haidenhain does the TOOL CALL command resets the tool radial compensation to R0 or leaves RL/RR active if it is turned on?

Had to stop the program midway to check something. Than I used GOTO to jump to the beginning of the program. RL was active during the program but the first positioning line had no R in it at all which means that the previous R command was in use. But idk if the TOOL CALL resets it or not.

And because RL was active during the first positioning, part of the tool descended into the part. rip. But I am not sure if that was the case and I cant sleep because of this
>>
>>1944876
Lmao have sex
>>
File: IMG_20201104_145744423.jpg (1.54 MB, 3264x2448)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
Anybody tried forming aluminum with a hammer and chisel? It will immediately teach you a fuckton about chip load, stepover and geometry all giving an insane realization of how we got here in the first place. Crazy how you can remove much more material at a faster rate using less energy if you get your stepover dialed
>>
File: Start _cut.png (1.62 MB, 1920x1080)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB PNG
>>1944602
Yes I have some pics here Its hard to get a great shot and stay under 4MB though
>>
File: First_pass.png (1.52 MB, 1920x1080)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB PNG
>>1945006

Moar Pics
>>
File: Halfway.png (1.77 MB, 1920x1080)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB PNG
>>1945008
Even Moar pic
>>
File: Finish_Pass.png (1.75 MB, 1920x1080)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB PNG
>>1945011

Final Pic
>>
>>1939272
hour on the manuals
>>
File: 20201104_193805.jpg (2.16 MB, 3963x2514)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB JPG
>>1944629

I cannot confirm or deny That it may or may not be
>>
>>1945013
that's like what
70% stepover?
>>1945016
well afaik they're not illegal or anything.
can't say I know what that one is though.
>>
>>1945164
its hard to see but its 40-50% step over with a 5MM 4 flute carbide Flat end mill.

I forgot I had the G-code set for a 6MM end mill and ran it with a 5MM instead
>>
>>1945013
lol at that power supply getting filled with chippings. metal conducts electricity you know.
>>
>>1934818
Is there any difference betwen a vertical lathe and a normal one?
>>
>>1945329
Not really, A vertical lathe is normally used for turning large diameters.
>>
>>1945329
https://youtu.be/lprhnuPkHM8
>>
>>1945234
whats depth of cut?/speed/feed?
>>1945013
>>1945011
>>1945008
>>1945006
imagine the sound
>>
>>1945449
The sound is glorious

and it 0.1mm Depth of cut at 3mm feed at about 10000RPM or at least the what the spindle says it max speed is.
>>
>>1945239

It temporary i swear

yes i know how that sounds
>>
File: 20201105_183343.jpg (1.09 MB, 3264x2448)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
how did I fuck up my threads so much?
>>
>>1945571
chatter, probably tool too low or high, or not enough clearance
>>
>>1945571
Probably cutting on both sides and the tip is bouncing from side to side while cutting making V chips
>>
File: 20201105_171026.jpg (2.06 MB, 3264x2448)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
>>1945596
the trailing flank looks ok though. I think my half nut is fucked up maybe. I made sure to engage it on the same number every time but the size of the chip didn't match the amount I thought I was feeding on the compound. I would say it was my fucking atrocious setup but this has happened before with more normal ones.
>>
>>1945555
I have a power supply that is not impervious to collecting chips. I gotta clean it out.
I just don't have anywhere better to put it atm.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbaoqD0atjM
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07jzN0apf4U
>>
>>1945434
can you elaborate this? put an example maybe?
>>
new shop furnace is bad-ass, nice ducting too

raised shop temp by 25-30 degrees in minutes, gonna be a good winter.
>>
Should I get an X2d from Little machine shop or a horrible freight mini Mill whenever a 20% coupon comes around again? It would be 750+shipping+tax (maybe) for the x2d and 640 (after coupon)+tax for the hf. I'm pretty sure they're the same exact machine with the differences being air spring head support, solid column versus tilting head, and a slightly bigger build space all for the x2d. I plan on cncing the machine in the future so I suppose having the more rigid set up from the x2d would probably benefit me more then the discount on the harbor freight version right?
>>
>>1945610
Is this the setup? I can hear this picture chattering from here
>>
File: temp.png (15 KB, 1024x1024)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>1945731
>>
>>1945880
Fuck no, buy a used thing that is made out of actual steel and iron.
>>
File: cnc_mill_skull.webm (2.86 MB, 888x500)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB WEBM
>>1945880
Depends on the tolerances you need.
>>1946167
That's a fine option too, unless you're worred about space, or simply don't need the rigidity and power. I have a tiny taig mill that I like quite a bit, and since I'm only cutting aluminum at the most it's fine for my needs. It cuts steel okay too, just not quickly...
Video is from maybe a month ago. I'm making a little clear acrylic shield to go around it to hopefully keep sawdust and chips from flying off too distant. I don't have a good way to keep chips from escaping out the back, or getting caught in the z axis's lead screw... Some sort of corrigated scrunchy bolted to the upright maybe.
>>
>>1946053
yes you can't even see the brass cone in the headstock end too. I have it on the dead center because the live center I have has like .006 runout or something stupid. I thought if I greased it up the brass would bite into the rifling and spin on the center instead of the part, but it didn't. oh well I don't even care. the customer is a fag and my boss majorly underbid on the job so hopefully he goes somewhere else to get the rest of his crap done.
>>
>>1946053
lol light cuts anon light cuts
>>
>>1946219
>still not a 3d contour toolpath
>>
>>1946219
also what's your cycle time on that?
>>
>>1946124
but this would be a problem on a normal lathe, with a Z axis paralel to the floor.
In a vertical lathe with the Z perpendicular to the floor, you shouldn't have this problem.
>>
>>1946334
it's just easier to sit large heavy pieces on a vertical lathe
>>
Company let go half the machinists this week

How are y'all doing so far
>>
Had some time last night built a simple shelf for the PSU's that will not absorb chips like a sponge

need to get 120v rocker switch and make a mini control panel
>>
File: CNC_3018.jpg (1.39 MB, 3547x2589)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
>>1946368

and maybe i could attach a pic to go with it
>>
File: 3018CNC_2.jpg (2.01 MB, 3559x3120)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
>>1946369

wider front shot
>>
>>1946316
I have a proper carving tool now, with a 1mm diameter ballend, so it won't look so dumb later.
>>1946317
Too long. About 2 hours, roughing and finishing with the same tool. Roughing shouldve been a lot faster.
The next thing I'm making is quite a bit larger and will take under 3 hours.
Might run it today, if I can make my little chip shield.
>>
>>1946366
I was let go like 2-3 months ago. No one is traveling so no one needs parts for their travelling machines :-(
That's alright tho. Something will turn up.
>>
File: port machining1.jpg (248 KB, 1000x750)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
>>1946366
Sounds rough, I'm doing better than last year for sure.
Toymach guy here.
>>
>>1944876
This is a good question.

I don't know what "tool call" is but on my Fanuc 16 if I use the knob to change tools it doesn't add the height offset to the tool number, so instead of T0606 I get T0600.
>>
File: Hub.jpg (159 KB, 1280x960)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
Some hubs I had made for a prototype trike I am making
>>
File: 20201107_150540.jpg (1.66 MB, 3264x2448)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB JPG
made a thread protector to cover my previous fuckup but fucked up again and left a visible seam.
>>
File: IMG_20201107_154344516.jpg (2.73 MB, 4032x3024)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB JPG
>>1946399
I cracked a piece of my acrylic drilling a hole, so I don't have the front panel done. But it'll just clamp onto the front. I don't plan on using any coolant with this, and if I did I'd build a proper enclosure. Just to catch chips and keep them from littering the floor.

Still would like something to keep chips out of the z leadscrew, but that's a job for another time.
>>
File: IMG_20201107_154344516.png (3.12 MB, 1512x2016)
3.12 MB
3.12 MB PNG
>>1946712
oh fuk
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSY1JxI2B1w

muh dik
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcGs3zekLqA

walter stepping up their game again
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7m3o_BngQE
>time to make some videos
>>
Damn, I'm afraid if I sell my Tormach and buy a used low-end VMC it will have a bunch of backlash in the ballscrews.

>like 5 thou of backlash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6icZ8CSCiQ
>>
>>1947984
>like 5 thou of backlash
Isn't that what Tormachs come with out of the box?
>>
If I convert my PM25 to CNC, can I still manual mill on it through jogging controls or are these conversions pure CNC only?
>>
>>1947989
no they just flex that much
>>
>>1947990
yeah but you won't get feedback from how hard you have to turn the handle
>>
>tfw accidentally overpayed credit card company
>got a lathe boring ring today for "free"
>>
>>1947989
That's pretty absurd. My tiny cheap thing only has like half a thou of backlash and it doesn't even have ballscrews.
Although it might have loosened up to a thou now, I havent measure it in a bit.
>>
>>1948402
yeah that's what I'm saying, there is a possibility I get a worn out POS

chances are I could replace the ballscrews for like $1,000 or $1,500 or something but what if the ways are also worn out?

I think it's worth the risk, because cycle time reduction and tool changer.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLgfqyxAzMA&feature=youtu.be

The collet setup they included with the machine is pretty cool.
>>
>>1948456
Yeah, we've got a similar collet setup on a chuck for an older Cincinnati Cinturn at work, although it's on the inside of the jaw carriers rather than on the jaws themselves. They're apparently an older standard for turret lathes, the only issue with them is they can't clamp on thin things without having a spacer in the back, we've had several of the mounting screws get trashed by someone doing that.
>>
Is it going to be safe to accept a check for my Tormach? Like, if the check bounces am I totally screwed if they have already moved the machine out?
>>
>>1948583
Certified check, cash, direct bank deposit or wait until the check clears. Don't let the machine leave until its paid for.
>>
File: 1591973136766.jpg (159 KB, 890x892)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
https://youtu.be/uhlsCmBKh2s?t=79

>when you see it
>>
>>1948695
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIm5s7ltJOE

These things belong in a museum.
>>
File: test brake.jpg (114 KB, 768x432)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
Damn, think I need another revenue stream. Might try selling some of these things.
>>
>>1948823
That thing needs to be deburred like bad. A test piece is no excuse
>>
>>1948912
true and the finished part will be.

new design is much more light-weight too
>>
>>1948912
and the bad surface finish was from a broke right half in two insert that I didn't notice
>>
>>1948917
>>1948931
50 cal?
>>
>>1948931
I have seen this photo several times over the last year on here and /k/, how's it coming?

I'm out of work at the shop. Tomorrow I can either figure out something to make that the shop needs/wants, or spend 10 hours sweeping and mopping as the world's highest paid janitor, or just take an unpaid day off but I really don't want to do that on a Thursday. Any ideas on something I could make? I've spent all week making shitloads of different jaws so can't do that anymore. Thinking maybe I could make some hand tools like a few tap handles for the shop or something
>>
I finally, after waiting whole month for shipping, received my small tabletop lathe. I don't have any experience with machining and I bought this thing to ultimately build model engines As far as I understand, I can't begin with engines yet, because I didn't order milling attachment.. Any fun starting projects you could suggest?
>>
>>1949123
Just chuck up some plastic and start making cuts. You gotta fuck up a shitload before it starts coming naturally, at least with full-size engine lathes
>>
>>1949123
Make sample cuts to size and measure your work. Begin with making simple straight cuts and finishing to size. The ancient book

https://archive.org/details/howtorunlathecar00sout

is worth a read and magnificent work (like classic firearms) was done manually long before CNC.

Hobby machining forums have tons of cool stuff. Every project should be another tool so you get your tooling accumulated quicker.
>>
>>1948945
intermediate actually, that version was just too heavy
>>
>>1949002
make me an irregular steady rest
>>
>>1949002
lathe chuck soft jaws?

chuck cleaning? custom handle for allen wrenches?
>>
>>1948695
I wonder if I should buy one of these things for like $10k
>>
File: armss.jpg (37 KB, 1541x400)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
Forgive me if this if the wrong place for this. I've got a 1/4" aluminum plate and I need some straight cuts made in it. I don't have the capability to do it myself. My dad suggested asking a machine shop, so I called one that's close by. They said they could do it with their water jet cutter and it would be ~$100. I understand that they have to do all of the setup and programming, but that's out of my budget, as it's just a little personal project.

Any other ideas of where to look for help or how to do it accurately myself?
>>
>>1950032
Drill press and file.
>>
>>1950045
How would I cut on those lines with a drill press?
>>
>>1950032
Hacksaw, coping saw, file.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (53 KB, 1541x400)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
does anyone know of a company that can service manual lathes in the northern va/washington dc area?

>>1950054
drill holes like this and then file to the lines
>>
>>1950105
What do you need serviced? I ask because most things you can do yourself.
>>
guy from fb supposed to be here later to buy tormach
he hasn't said anything on fb since yesterday :/
>>
Is this old Tony a machinist or is he a guy with another job and 100k in machine tools in his garage with a fuck ton of spare time?
>>
>>1950364
ToT does have a real job, but he also doesn't have $100k in machine tools in his garage. He seemed like a poor person when he started, hell he probably makes another $100k/year from ad revenue now.

Time to start a YT channel?
>>
File: image0-16.jpg (58 KB, 546x640)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
Does anyone know if machine definitions from MasterCAM18 will work on 21?
>>
>>1950404
I don't see why they wouldn't want backwards compatibility on that.

And the only thing keeping me from buying this at auction is: 50 taper means low RPM and it's fucking massive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hyY4mFVJ30
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY-noQIbTvk
>>
>>1950374
schaublin horizontal mill
maho CNC
colchester lathe
decent size grinder
TIG
small shaper
some kind of knee mill
large metal bandsaw
all sorts of metal shaping stuff like brakes

figure 3-7k for these machines+ all the shit that goes along with this stuff, mills, blades, all the stock, all the inspection equipment he has, upkeep, etc

thats a lot of stuff
>>
>>1950517
I've interviewed in tiny job shops with a similar (maybe less) amount of equipment
>>
>>1950608
do you live in the hill country where the poorest white people in america live?

just wondering, I think my shop could pass for hiring someone otherwise.
>>
>>1950121
a bridgeport and some chink lathe. it's fairly big ike 14x48 or something. both of them have dro that randomly dies, the bridgeport has a bunch of spindle runout, and the lathe tailstock is misaligned. even if I knew how to fix them I'm too busy doing my actual job to have time for it.
>>
>>1950977

n.e.w.

>>1950977
>>1950977

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.