[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / vrpg / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 29 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

New board: /vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

When you need a new cordless power tool, do you..
A. stick to one brand, because you have spare batteries or
B. buy whichever brand you can find a good deal on?

Is it better to have multiple chargers / batteries or stick to one brand?
>>
>>1877606
Obviously I stick to one brand because I have the batteries. I've made a Makita>Ryobi converter for a pole hedge trimmer since Makita's costs like five times more than Ryobi, and I have considered getting some Parkside(Lidl) tools because they're 3 times cheaper than Makita, but they're also much shittier than Makita. They also, oddly enough, have proprietary battery protection, unlike Makita and Ryobi.
>>
stick to one brand. cluttering your house and working in unnecessary multiple proprietary systems is not a good deal, it's a false good deal
>>
>>1877606
I stick to one brand. The convenience more than makes up for the increased cost.
>>
I only buy corded.
>>
>>1877636
Based and AC pilled
>>
>>1877636
well this thread isn't for you.
>>
>>1877612
I've bought a Bosch 18V SDS, sadly there seems to be a lot less of Bosch deals, compared to other brands.
>>
>>1877606
obviously stick to the same brand. the batteries are the expensive part. and just get an adapter if theres really some amazing deal on another brand
>>
>>1877636
Pneumatic for me.
>>
>>1877606
I generally stick to one brand, but if given a tool will use an adapter for the battery or make my own so I do not need to buy new batteries.

There are many adapters on ebay that allow you to use just about any battery with any brand tool.
>>
>>1877636
ok boomer
>>
>>1877606
if I only worked in a shop and had room for 5 different brands I would be a deal whore... but I dont and milwaukee makes a bunch of electrical specific tools so thats my brand... probably have spent around $5k in the last 10 years on just milwaukee stuff.
>>
File: 30yoboomer.jpg (9 KB, 164x307)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>1877765
>mfw I'm 30
I'm just sick of being jewed.
>>
>>1877765
I got him beat. I only buy corded and only USA made tools. This generally means I have to buy stuff that is 30+ years old. That said, paying $40 for a Hole Hawg is very nice. Actually made in Milwaukee and a 10th the cost of a new Chinese one.
>>
>>1877931
Yea but you’re stuck with old tech

>>1877606
One brand. Which is one of the many reasons why I tell people to stay away from the bullshit HF brands. Batteries are expensive, and if you need to do any work outside of the garage, that’s a lot of chargers and battery packs you need to bring. For every one tool from a brand, you need two batteries and a backup charger is good to have just in case. If you need to bring 2 Bosch tools, a Ryobi, and 2 Milwaukee tools to a job, you’re going to want at least 3 Bosch batteries, 2 Ryobi, and 3 Red batteries, plus at least 3 chargers. That’s 8 batteries and 3 chargers when you could probably get away with maybe 3 or 4 batteries if all 5 tools were one brand.

Anyway if you go with any of the major brands, they all have about the same tools and the prices are very similar. It’s easier to keep track of battery packs and warranties too with one brand.

Only thing is the 12V tools which have become some of my most used. If you go with Milwaukee or DeWalt, you can use the same charger for both packs which is pretty cool.
>>
File: amateur.jpg (54 KB, 513x551)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>1877938
I convert cordless tools to corded.
>>
>>1877636
>not using power tools with a built in wood furnace and turbine
>>
Bosch and Milwaukee for me
>>
>>1877958
>Yea but you’re stuck with old tech
That's my point. They stopped developping corded on purpose.
>>
>>1877648
>>1877636
The only things corded should be stuff you don't want to move or pneumatic
>>
>>1878032
>The only things corded should be stuff you don't want to move or pneumatic

They'll always make corded drills and other tools because you can't always guarantee you'll have a way to charge your batteries.
>>
>>1878041

>have a plug for your corded tools
>don't have a plug for your battery charger

??
>>
>>1877971
Hey, I did that too. I was given an old set of Makita 9.6 volt tools. After I couldn't affordably get batteries for them anymore I got an old 12 volt DC power supply from a HAM. It was slightly voltage adjustable so I got it down to about 11 volts and they worked fine. Those long-ass handles were awkward as fuck but it worked while I was poor. Eventually, I got some real corded tools and never looked back.
>>
>>1877938
Milwaukee are made in China now. I obliterate about 1 grinder every 2 or 3 months at work in a metal shop. Absolute garbage. I have gotten brand new ones from the crib and had to replace them within days because the shitty wiring/pinched wires inside the housing. My favorite is when they start smoking and burst into flames.
>>
>>1877606
I try to only buy Makita because they make the best drills and impacts. It's the only brand the sheet metal and HVAC guys use because they're toppest tier. I'm a carpenter and we tend to use DeWalt which I feel are inferior.
>>
Corded: any brand
Battery: one specific brand
>>
>>1877678
based
>>
File: (:.jpg (5 KB, 200x200)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>1877636
>corded
>not hand-cranked

ishygiddydiggidy
>>
>>1877606
Suppose I've kinda stuck to DeWalt just cause I inherited some stuff and have zero complaints, but don't feel a bit bad about whoring out for a better deal or splurging on a fine piece of quality machinery
>>
>>1877606
Kind of a Makita whore tbqh
>>
>>1877764
Dude, thank you. I had no idea this was a thing
>>
I rent tools, why the fuck would I own them?
>>
>>1877636
>>1877678
Based

Batteries are for impact drivers and the like. The rest is better off corded. Tfw there are people lugging along battery powered drill hammers which run out a quarter into the job

Me and my Hilti are laffin
>>
>>1877636

>>1878032
string trimmer, pressure washer, paint sprayer, quick saw, demo hammer, lights, household appliances, computers, space heaters
>muh e-pen battery will power everything!
>>
>>1879197
This quickly went both out of range of tools and into range of retarded.
>>
>>1877606
>>1877612
capitalism buy the best deal.
>>
>>1879196
>battery powered drill hammers

Depends on what job you are doing. My Bosch battery powered SDS is perfect for carrying up a ladder, drilling a few holes into the brick when mounting a bell box for a burglar alarm.

Much easier then asking the home owner for the nearest outlet and plugging in a 20m extension cable.
>>
Two brands max. For tools you use very often, buy contractor grade tools (DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc) and homeowner grade tools (Ryobi, Craftsman, etc) for tools used less often.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.