[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / vrpg / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 43 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

New board: /vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

File: Time-capsule.jpg (1.6 MB, 4752x3168)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
I need to bury 500 small pieces of paper. They need to survive in good condition for at least 7 years underground.

What type of hole should I dig and what type of container should I put my paper inside before burying?
>>
Hardware store pvc pipe with a cap on one end and a screw top. Put a decent amount of thread tape on to seal and it should be good enough. You can make it any size you wish. If you want to store metal in a similar container you should grease the parts before burying.
>>
>>1877589
Vacuum seal the 'paper' in a plastic bag with a desiccant pack, dip in paraffin wax until well coated, seal in PVC pipe, coat pipe with elastomeric sealant, bury vertically. in sandy soil
>>
>>1877589
>What type of hole should I dig
The hole should be pyramidal in shape with the tip of the pyramid just touching the surface of the ground. It is a difficult hold to dig, but you can not argue with results.
>>
>>1877616
helix shape would be even better
>>
File: 1591971537606s.jpg (4 KB, 125x125)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>1877630
>>
File: PETling.jpg (243 KB, 2162x1441)
243 KB
243 KB JPG
PET bottle preforms, cheap, abundand, no work involved, just close and forget. Tamperevident as a bonus.
>>
>>1877589
A sea container filled with artifical crab, you will need at least 10 tonnes.
>>
>>1877589
what did you rob anon
>>
agreee that pet would work fine. but a jar also. wrap in plastic bag place in a lunchbox and it will last as long its sealed
>>
>>1877596
This, and bury in a hole 500 feet deep by 1 foot wide.
>>
File: 63135_W3.jpg (189 KB, 1200x1200)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
Put them in ziplock bags and then inside a $5 plastic ammo box from Harbor Freight.
>>
>>1877596
But glue on caps on both ends.
>>
>>1877650
>abundand
I thought there was a shortage now because everyone is at home.
>>
>>1877589
Can you laminate the paper? That would make it very long lasting. Might not even need a container if its sealed well.
>>
>>1877650
Would rolled up cash fit in those?
>>
>>1877795
that's the point dumbass.
>>
>>1877589
So you are burying money? Is that from a bank robbery?
>>
>>1877589
Don't bury money OP. It could become worthless. Buy gold or silver and bury that if you want.
>>
>shows picture of kids burying a thermos bottle
>What to bury stuf in?
How about a thermos bottle?
>>
Buy a couple of mylar baloons and puts notes inside remove air from baloons and seal with iron. Place in pipe and your good for 100 years easy.
>>
>>1877650
There's a bunch of geocaches around me in those things. I check on them every now and then. They've held up for years, even with people opening them up and putting them back.
>>
File: Untitled.png (9 KB, 649x478)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>1877589
get a long tube with one end closed.
It should be so long that you have atleast 3 feet empty space between the opening and content.
fill it up halfway.
put something nonflammable.
wrap it with wet towel
weld the open end shut with an overlapping cap
weld the open end shut
>>
>>1877604
This
People need to go back and look at what "time capsules" hold up and which ones dont
If it isnt plastic, it doesnt last
If it wasnt bone dry inside, and the seal wasnt air tight, moisture ruins everything
>>
>>1877589
how important that they survive? I'd do >>1877650
and try to get a tank of CO2, hydrogen, or ideally nitrogen and put a little tube from a regulator into the bottom and let some out to replace the air inside with (gas) to prevent oxidation damage
>>
>>1878318
>or ideally nitrogen and put a little tube from a regulator into the bottom and let some out to replace the air inside with (gas) to prevent oxidation damage
Well...water can permeate through plastic
>>
Imagine how soft yet musky their teen soles are under those leggings
>>
>>1878334 true but plastic is not plastic. Also 2mm wall is plenty thick enough even with permeability. Also, whats another option for a container? melting glass? metal and welding/soldering 500 pcs? Even the wax coating will take days or weeks if done properly and then there is no mechanical protection. I have no idea how valuable/ important/ illegal the shit is, OP wants to burry. Also noone specified the type of ground.

All in all id say, take a preform, drop in a bag of silica and tighten it properly. You will have reliable seal and plenty of moisture absorbant for a decade or two. The likelyhood of some wired wax dunking breaking away or not sealing nicely on a big portion of this amount of containers is much higher. Also youd still have to put it in a container for mechanical protection.
>>
is this a pipebomb thread in disguise?
>>
Lab glass tubing is ideal if it is acceptable for your application to break the container upon opening. It can be purchased in various diameters to accommodate a given quantity of rolled paper and easily sealed with a heat suitable heat source. Inexpensive plastic tubing can then be placed over the top to provide mechanical strength.
>>
>>1878481
Nah, what would be the point of sealing it off for this time and not have a strong enough container? Also why make 500 and store them not in the same place?

>>1878484
Yes, but still consider the effort. Thats 1000 seals (or 500 if using testtubes) that you have to manually do and not fail them, wich is not as easy as it might look if you have never done it. Even harder if you dont want to burn contents or stress the glass.
But yes, glass in plastic would be ideal.
>>
>>1877589
If the container is only a foot tall then you also need a 500 ft hole to put them in.
>>
>>1877589
are you making a stash of one time pads and other spy-related material?
>>
>>1878481
No. Op is asking how to bury cash while he goes away for whatever he did to get the cash. Sounds like he’s out on bail, but getting ready to take whatever plea deal is on the table.
>>
>>1877589
OP hiding money from his wife
>>
>>1878869
oh no wait that makes more sense than his wife
>>
>>1878869
good luck finding it again spread over 500 dirtholes xD
>>
>>1878481
Pipebomb thread in disguise also check
>>
>>1877589!
>I need to bury 500 small pieces of paper.
So $50,000 US?
>>
>>1879090
Yup unless it is 500 small pieces of paper with Bitcoin wallet numbers on each then we could be looking at +3million right give or take the pipebomb trips were looking at a bank robbery by a women who was struggling that was turned in by her husband in Maine
>>
File: IMG_20200804_112845070.jpg (1.28 MB, 2448x3264)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
>>1879091
On a side note my friend cat just become private number one he hid the cat toys under the fridge legit
>>
>>1877735
anything metal will be gone in a couple years, glass might last but plastic is always better
>>
>>1877759
how the fuck would anon make a 500 feet deep hole thats only 1 foot deep??
>>
>>1879198
You say that like you cant do this?
>>
>>1879198
Post holder with 500 foot long handles
>>
File: post hole digger.png (101 KB, 194x4520)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
>>1879198
>>
>>1877589
https://www.preformed.com/communications/copper-networks/armadillo-stainless-splice-cases/armadillo-stainless-kits/armadillo-stainless-kit
Do you want your shit to actually not leak?
>>
>>1877589
anon, i'd suggest you try to reduce mold and moistuire by dowsing the paper in an anti-mold powder, then laminate them with a few silicia bags in the laminate.

Put them all together and put them in a plastic box.

Don't forget taht the box will warp over time and there's nothing you can do about it

Do we really need to bury it? Why not just chuck it in a hollow tree?
>>
>>1877589
put it in several plastic bags and the plastic bag package in a container you also put into several plastic bags. you can also use hot glue to seal the container
>>
>>1879198
Get your wife's son to help.
>>
https://www.mnhs.org/preserve/conservation/reports/timecapsule.pdf

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.