[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / vrpg / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 33 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

New board: /vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

anyone here ever replace their metal plumbing with pex?

I'd love to replace my basement pipes and was thinking of cutting them and finding an adapter to fit the new piping and rewire everything
>>
>>1876041
>metal
>not a specific material
>rewire
>wants to adapt to something but no description

Sure just get some parts and do it. You’ll need some materials, and some tools.
>>
leave shit the fuck alone unless it's a leaking like a sieve
>>
>>1876049
its copper to pex (flexible plastic plumbing)

I found these sharkbite couplers that you push into one end of the copper and fit the pex on the other end.

Ima do it
>>
>>1876055
Are you saying this because you know it’s easy bait to lure plumbers into a screeching autistic rant about sharkbites, or is there a particular reason you want to replace some copper pipe with PEX?
>>
>>1876057
idk shit about plumbers.

The house was built in the 40's and there's a bunch of exposed pipes in the basement hanging 4-5 inches from the ceiling. It'd be a huge improvement to the basment to raise those pipes and I figure I'd replace just the exposed pipes with pex. All of the pipes are easily accessible also
>>
I replaced a small section of my pipes with pex, when I redid my bathroom.

I fucking hate it, I don't like the chemical taste of the pex, plus it's really not that much easier than just running copper. It's cheaper, about it.
>>
File: cinch tool.jpg (40 KB, 1000x1000)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>1876041
i just renovated my bathroom and gutted all the plumbing ad replaced with pex.
don't use sharkbite. do it right and get a metal sweat adapter. one side solders onto the copper, the other side has a barb for the pex. from there you can run the pex wherever you want. use the cinch rings with this tool. you will have it done it a day it's super easy and idiot proof.
>>
>>1876060
>I fucking hate it, I don't like the chemical taste of the pex
why the fuck are you drinking bathroom water?
>>
>>1876041
>anyone here ever replace their metal plumbing with pex?
Why would you ever do this?
Galvanized is better than faggot plastic tube for poorfags. Copper is better than faggot plastic tube. Stainless is better than faggot tube...

Copper lasts 50+ years. Galvanized 30-50 years... Pex - 10 years, after that it becomes just as brittle as PVC, and it starts a flood as soon as you close kitchen faucet too fast.

Git gud and replace copper with copper
>>
>>1876076
yes
>>
>>1876060
>I fucking hate it, I don't like the chemical taste of the pex
I don't like it either, I always run my taps really long to get rid of the taste. If it didnt require me cutting holes in my wall I'd change it all over to copper.
>>
>>1876082
Galvanized pipe provides best taste. Especially after it is aged.
>>
>>1876041
>nyone here ever replace their metal plumbing with pex?
No one is retarded enough (besides you) to replace non-leaking copper pipe with cheap flexible plastic.
>>
>>1876083

Don't lie to OP, lead pipes are top-tier and taste fantastic
>>
>>1876089
Lead pipes taste like shit. No iron there. Idk how people drink water without iron in it
>>
>>1876075
Nothing wrong with shark bite if it’s exposed for easy servicing.
>>
>>1876076
Ever brush your teeth?
>>
First off copper to pex is a downgrade.

That said, don’t fix what isn’t broken. Also, if you do go with pex and you’re doing a substantial project you will want a pex crimper so you can use the more secure and much cheaper pex crimps rather than using shark bite fittings all around which is just insanity tbqh.
>>
>>1876114
yes. still doesn't explain you drinking bathroom water. do you still get a big cup of water and gurgle it like a 5 year old?
>>
>>1876140
the fuck is bathroom water
the water from your kitchen sink is the same water
>>
>>1876140

Yeah...you clear your mouth out after brushing.

Also if you're thirsty and the bathroom sink is the closest.
>>
>>1876140

You know, it actually doesn't have to be a bathroom see. Pex can be run to other rooms to, and it still affects the taste of the water.

So, you could, say, run the pex to your kitchen, and then be upset about the taste of the water. Kind of seems like really dumb thing to fixate on, really.
>>
>>1876151
Water taste changes at different altitudes you fool
>>
>>1876041
I had to get rid of the lead, tylene and 9mm copper mess that was in my house. Replaced everything with Viega pexfit.
My recommendation would be to only do it if necessary and then do as much as possible at once. You don't want an ugly mixture of different materials everywhere. Also depending on what brand you use, there's plenty of adapters around, press-15mm, press-1/2, press-clamp. Just make sure everything you can't easilly reach is pressed.

Don't believe the whole plastic taste bullshit, it's gone after 2 days.
>>
File: 1580625596862.jpg (70 KB, 509x619)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>1876140
there is one single line of water into the whole house from the mains, you absolute fucking moron. this is deadset the most stupid thing I have read on this site in ages. please sterilize yourself.
>>
>>1876268
This is downgrade. Lead would last for 200 years, while PEX becomes shit in 10 years.
>>
>>1876151
>>1876162
>>1876164
>>1876277
all these bathroom water drinkers coping hard.
and we're not talking about replacing the main to the house with pex, just the leg in the bathroom. you can still drink water form the kitchen sink if you prefer the metallic taste.
>>
>>1876329
Lol ok boomer
>>
>>1876359
what if the main was replace with pex?
>>
>>1876268
>Don't believe the whole plastic taste bullshit, it's gone after 2 days.

I don't really mind the taste, but in fairness, at my house, it took over a year for the taste to wear off. I also have to wonder if it ever really wore off, or if I'm just habituated to it now.
>>
>>1876041
I did with white PEX-AL-PEX pipes, it takes line pressure like a champ and is also good for the heating system. Super easy to work with, you can bend it to most corners without crushing, you only need a corner fitting when you need sharp 90° turns.
>>
>>1876378
PEX-AL-PEX is shit, because Aluminium layer is thin, shit delaminates and cracks.

There aren't much good plastic pipes. HDPE, MDPE, U-PVC, PP-R FR. Those last
>>
>>1876359

What are acceptable rooms to drink water from? Just so i know in the future.

bonus question: is drinking water from outside sources, such as water spigots, acceptable?
>>
>>1876396
any room because the only acceptable way to drink water is to drink what collects inside your dehumidifier

t. doesn't pay the water department jew
>>
Retards in this thread thinking they can taste PEX...
>>
>>1876058
Why not get a torch, a few fittings, and a little extra copper pipe? Cut the sections you want to raise then splice them back in. There is no point in using PEX unless you're going to do it right and make every connection off one plenum. Learn to sweat copper, friendo
>>
File: IMG_20200802_094022632.jpg (2.91 MB, 4160x3120)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB JPG
fuck i knew i should have come here before doing anything
>washer leaking
>real old copper pipes
>grandfather goes out and buys a fuck ton of pex, already had some replaced already
>he took down the leaky shit already
>started install wants me to finish it
>he hooked up the hot to the toilet thinking it was the sink
>fix that, turn water on
>three old joints down the line start blowing water
>oh shit may as.well replace the whole line
>11 sharkbite connectors later
>>
File: IMG_20200802_094453026.jpg (2.35 MB, 3120x4160)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
>>1877694
>>
File: IMG_20200802_094631711.jpg (2.6 MB, 4160x3120)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB JPG
>>1877695
lmao
maybe when it fails again in 4 years ill replace it back to copper
>>
>>1877697
>>>1877694
>1877695
Lol you can tell some hack tried making a bunch of repairs, and now some new jack is trying to repair the original hack repairs.
>>
File: IMG_20200802_095152143.jpg (2.37 MB, 3120x4160)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB JPG
wow well im glad i looked back over the work he started and i finished because the panel feed is now somehow leaking water
>>
File: IMG_20200802_095457193.jpg (2.1 MB, 4160x3120)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB JPG
>>1877702
yea im a mason not a plumber he wanted it fixed asap but holy fuck this is the type of shit that was blowing up all over the basement
i mean look at that scorch mark and that pipe in the back is almost inaccessible
>>
>>1876057
DESU my last house had shitty polybutylene. There was a large manifold in the laundry room where probably 10 different lines took off in different directions. Every 6 months one would spring a leak and I'd use a shark bite or gator bite to fix it. Was there for 9 years and never had one fail. When I left there were probably 20 of them in the laundry room, mostly within a few pipe feet of the water heater. People give them shit but I've literally never seen one fail.
>>
>>1876041
I do. I recently re-plumbed a house that was built in the 50's and remodeled in the 70's. Half of the house was galvanized and the other half was copper. I left the copper and replaced all the galvanized with pex-a and an expander tool. For having to crawl around under a house, it was incredibly quick and easy job. It's really stupid how easy it was. Not a single leak or issue.
>>
>>1876089
There’s no lead in galvanized, dingus.
>>
>>1877791
Not him, but they could have used 2-3% of lead in zinc alloy in order to make it flow and stick better to steel.
Also, u cant read.
>>
>>1876076
>bathroom water

I would hear your explanation of you think this is somehow different to 'kitchen water'
>>
>>1878221
Because it's normally stored in a tank in the loft?
>>
>>1876041
The only time you should ever use Lex over actual plumbing is if it’s going into a motor home/boat or if you smile crack and need to get money from the job so you can get your next fix asap
>>
>>1878654
lol, fucking bongs
>>
File: 1398906928093.png (216 KB, 652x896)
216 KB
216 KB PNG
>>1878654
>>
>>1878702
lol
>>1877706
>>1877703
>>1877697
>>1877695
>>1877694
>>1876377
>>1876268
>>1876101
>>1876082
>>1876075
lmfao

storage tanks are getting much less common as in general water service pressures are better regulated and rarely interrupted. americans complaining about cold water tanks when water heaters are so common lol like 99% of brits for the past maybe 15 years use on demand gas boilers with no storage tank necessary. keep up. oh and enjoy your fluoride; americans have objectively much worse dental hygene and require more dental work than brits, so that meme is bullshit cope too.
>>
>>1878221
>I would hear your explanation of you think this is somehow different to 'kitchen water'
well, obviously some people here think it tastes like pex.
>>
>>1876041
Apprentice plumber.
Pex is fine, sharkbites are easy and fine for DIY.
Worsbo/competitor adaptors to a brass adaptor would be the "correct" way to go, but then you'd need an expanding tool, torch/flux/solder, or a propress.
For a small/med fix nah just get some pex sharkbites and 2 hole straps.
>>
When we replaced all the piping in our townhome w/ pex (thanks, corroded copper), the real upside was how minimally we had to demo drywall to get everything into place. Made finishing the job a relative breeze.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.