[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / vrpg / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1594225565247.jpg (75 KB, 560x407)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
Post your dumb questions that you hate to use in someone else's thread.

How much did i fuck up /diy/? I added one row of cinder bricks on top of an existing wall (7 months old) and realized that my drill isnt powerful enough to drill holes for rebar so i just added the row on the cleaned concrete. and added the rebar horizontally as i already had the concrete mixed.
>>
A floorboard has come loose directly in the centre of my living room under the carpet. Is there anyway to accurately nail it back down into a joist/without hitting a pipe, I assume I need a stud or pipe finding tool or is it better to move all the furniture out of one corner and roll the carpet up from there?
>>
>>1870249
what kind of drill do i need to drill holes for outlets into solid concrete? fell like im gonna end up like op with my normal household drill
>>
My water line broke again. It's 1" PVC that runs about 300 or so feet from the meter to the house. The pipe is probably 30-40 years old by now and I have to do a repair like this about once a year and I'm tired of it, I want to replace the entire line.
Was thinking about doing Pex but I'm reading so much conflicting shit I'm just going to replace the belled end PVC that's already down there. I live in Texas so my frost line isn't that deep but during summers we do experience a lot of ground cracking, plus I need to be able to run trucks and midsize tractors over the area with no issues.
I have free access to a lot of old 2" IPS rolls, if I ran that as shielding for the PVC and do the standard sand bedding, would this help buffer the line from being damaged by the stress of the ground moving or just be a massive waste of time?
>>
I got a drop of weld-on on acrylic I was working with. I didn't touch it as recommended but it left a ring with a cloudy center. Is it possible to remove this with a heat gun?
>>
>>1870295
the same one u use for brick walls, if this helps your question.
>>
>>1870319
in most states, the line is property of the supplier until it reaches the water meter, so maybe give them a quick call and say it leaks. document all this for an possible failure and damage on your buildings.
but dont try to fix their pipes!
>>
>>1870389
just wondered if my old black and decker has enough power to drive those hole saws
>>
>>1870394
maybe go centimeter after centimeter and cool the drill with water and let the machine run full speed in free if you think the concrete is too hard.
>>
File: lost_wrench.jpg (3 KB, 240x71)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
I bought a craigslist table saw and the previous owner said he lost this wrench you need to replace the saw. Still have the other one that goes over the nut, though.

All of my wrenches are either too small to fit around the nut, or too wide to fit between the saw and the motor...

I can cut wood and acrylic but not metal, do I make my own 'wrench' or am I searching with the wrong term?
>>
>>1870412
Just search for Thin Wrench, or Cone Wrench or TableSaw Wrench
>>
>>1870390
The bad pipe is on my side of the meter. The county water utility supplies to the corner of the property, it's the last stop of that particular line.
I have a shut off in my yard but the meter itself isn't even visible from the house.
This stuff was put in before I was born and everyone involved is dead so I have no idea why it was arranged this way, I assume my dad saved money by not paying the utility company to run the meter to the house or something.
>>
>>1870394
there is no way you gonna drill a 68mm hole in a solid concrete wall with a normal drill
>>
>>1870249
i want to hang a 1inch bar between two solid walls, for hanging gym rings, pullups etc. However the span between walls is a little over 14 feet.
I assume i'd have to get solid bar stock or could i get away with thick walled pipe? The ceiling isn't suitable for any kind of mounting points.
>>
Does a #5 spline drive hand ratchet or breaker bar exist?
>>
>>1870295
Hammer drill + masonry bit.
>>1870394
Lolno. Also you're not gonna make it with a holesaw. You might make it with a dozen holesaws so you can replace them when you inevitably burn them up.

>>1870457
You could probably get away with black iron pipe but why run it across a 14ft span? Just make a wall mount pullup bar (google that shit if you're confused).
>>
>>1870295
>>1870389
rotary hammer is the answer and if you already have a normal drill a very nice addition to your toolbox and can also be used to remove tiles etc. get the bosch gbh 2-28 or the makita/dewalt etc equivalent
>>
>>1870249
>cinder bricks on top of an existing wall
should be fine if its only one row and nothing heavy attached to it
>>
>>1870493
thanks, i hope you are right. dont want to attach anything too heavy, just some wodden posts as support for a climbing rose.
>>
>>1870394
>>1870492
wrong quote
>>
File: 20200722_183945~2.jpg (1.87 MB, 4656x3492)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
does anyone know wtf type of plumbing this is? PEX or shark bite or what?
>>
>>1870279
Pull the carpet and inspect the condition of the floorboards before anything else. Just to ensure it didn’t come loose due to rot starting to set in. It depends on where you live, when your house was built, and who built it, but there may be more than one layer of subfloor. It would be best to inspect the floorboards with a moisture meter and/or thermal imager just to ensure there’s no nasty surprises hiding out of plain sight, but it’s not entirely necessary. Tools like that are pricey but you might be able to rent them or find someone, such as a home inspection company, to come out and give it a look. They’ll usually also give you some advice and can answer further questions.

But yeah, a stud finder should be able to reveal where the joists are. Just know it won’t know the difference between a joist and a pipe, but you can use several readings to sort of map out the floor. The distance between joists is standardized so just try to find out what standard your house it built to and use that information to verify your readings.
>>
File: _20200721_145545.jpg (140 KB, 959x953)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
Where can I buy a hinge like pic related to fix sunglasses?
>>
Somebody told me in another thread that welding is an oversaturated market. Is this true?
>>
>>1870795
I doubt it. Almost all of those trades are in pretty good demand because they’re dominated by boomers getting into their 60s.
>>
>>1870471
That’s all impact shit mang. Get yourself a square to spline adapter if you can find one.
>>
>>1870740
What's wrong with them? Might be easier to repair than replace the hinge.
Go to the chinese shop and buy a cheap pair that already has them.
>>
File: 20200723_125713.jpg (580 KB, 4032x1960)
580 KB
580 KB JPG
Was frying some fish a while back and accidentally spilled a fuck ton of the oil all over the place. Thought I cleaned it all up but some must have gotten into that pipe under the top right burner. Now when the oven get above 200F it fills the apartment with a horrible chemical smell that burns the eyes and nose. Using the burners on top is fine though. I dont see an easy way of getting into that part of the oven to clean it. If we turn the oven on a little everyday will it eventually burn it all off?
>>
>>1870971
Depending on the size of the hole you could try a cloth or nylon shotgun cleaning brush on a rod or flexible wire pull-through with some hot soapy water to break down the oil quicker..
I mean technically you could do the same thing with a piece of old t-shirt/dishrag and a wire coat hanger but you're a little more likely to loose it down there unless you secure it very well.
>>
>>1870985
Ok I admit I'm a brainlet. Didnt realize the pipe opened up directly into the oven. Looking through the pipe and in the actual oven I dont see any more oil. Maybe the smell is unrelated to the oil?
>>
>>1870989
If that's the case check your bottom pan, pull it out, check your burner or element for residue, then check your pan drawer/floor to see if any collected.
>>
>>1870995
>pulled out bottom drawer and found a small drip line of oil with very small puddle on floor
>cleaned that up but wasn't sure if that would make much of a difference
>turned on the oven to see, was able to get it to 350F before the smell started

The smell is still present but it's a lot better than it was before. Doesnt sting my eyes anymore it just doesnt smell good. I'm thinking there may be another trail of oil down the back of it. I'm gonna wait for the oven to cool off so I can move it to see if I find more oil on the back.
>>
File: pins2.jpg (421 KB, 2000x1004)
421 KB
421 KB JPG
I have to get these pins out and retain them. How do I get them out without a vice or punches? Or do I need those
I tried with pliers and allen keys but no luck
>>
>>1871066
You might can make do without a vice by setting up a couple of metal or wood blocks to hold your work, really depend son your angle of attack.
A chink harbor freight/amazon/ebay punch set are super valuable for all sorts of basic shit and cheap. They would definitely be the best option here unless you have a small screwdriver or other tool you can grind down to profile.
>>
What is the best way to find good contractors in a new area? At my old place we knew people and had family recs for good contractors, but now I am in a new area and need some work done and have been so used to small town word of mouth that I dont want to just google away. Any tips?
>>
What kind of paint should I use for wooden windows? I heard latex traps moisture causing the wood to rot.
>>
>>1871364
Linseed, lime, or clay based paints.
>>
>>1871370
Are oil paints from home depot ok for this? I could mix my own from linseed oil and dryer but where would I find pigment?

Why don't oil paints trap moisture like latex paints?
>>
File: washer.jpg (202 KB, 663x989)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
washing machine won't drain. about a year ago i hacked together the lid switch, so I thought that was the problem. I redid the switch ( zip tied it to an "closed" position ) and the washer worked a whole cycle. Put it back together and it stopped draining.

Is this assumption correct: it isn't the lid switch, because it will wash with the lid physically open. This is only possible because I zipped the switch into the "closed" position. Therefore an open switch isn't preventing the washer from draining.

If I take the drain hose and lower it into a bucket, it drains immediately, so the hose isn't kinked.

What should I troubleshoot next, seeing that it worked when disassembled? I don't hear the pump kick on at all when it goes into rise cycle. If the pump were plugged I'd at least hear it making some noise, or a click when it turns on right?

I'm going to disassemble again and see if it works. Could use any suggestions.
>>
File: IMG_2168-1200.jpg (193 KB, 899x1200)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>1871429
yeah this is weird. I disassembled, open/closed the switch, plugged it in directly to the control panel ( it's not physically connected to the cover now ) and it works.

Short term can I just short the circuit closed until the new switch arrives in the mail? pic very related.
>>
>>1871447
I still can't figure out how the lid switch could be considered "closed" for the wash cycle, but "open" for the rinse cycle.

video I made earlier of it working. https://vimeo.com/441244214 Why does the whole thing jump once the pump kicks on?
>>
>>1871405
Oil displaces moisture, pushing it out of the wood. Latex forms a skin over the wood, trapping moisture inside and against the wood. Like putting something in a plastic bag, and you get the condensation building up inside it.
>>
>>1871451
You couldn't be more wrong. Oil based paints form a water proof coating. Latex paints breathe and allow moisture to leave.

/diy/, where people just make up shit.
>>
File: thinkingspin.gif (424 KB, 320x320)
424 KB
424 KB GIF
>>1871465
You're right on the oil-based paints - My bad, I was thinking of oil stains and stuff like linseed etc. But latex paint is an effective moisture barrier, one of the reasons it's used in bathrooms, so idk where you're pulling the 'breathable' idea from.
>>
>>1871478
>But latex paint is an effective moisture barrier, one of the reasons it's used in bathrooms, so idk where you're pulling the 'breathable' idea from.

I haven't actually done a test to prove it, but I've been painting for 20 years and I've always heard that latex breathes. Maybe everyone else is wrong and you are right.
>>
>>1870795
For your basic bitch bubba "yeah im a weldor" type, yeah. Welding's either a skill you can put on your resume to give you an edge over other applicants, like a forklift cert, or a CDL B, or is a career in which you seek out every available certification to make it a main career, like heavy equipment experience, or a CDL A w/ hazmat.

tl;dr, welding isn't lucrative unless you get all your certs and are willing to travel a *lot*
>>
>>1871485
Not exactly fresh knowledge: https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplrp/fplrp319.pdf
>>
Hey guys, need to do some repainting on metal, plastic and fibreglass (gelcoat)
I need the same colour across all 3 materials, but my issue, they need to be the same colour (I have a good piece of plastic to be matched)
Can I get the same colour across 3 different paint types? I'm in Oz, is Bunnings a good option for matching or bunch of shitcunts?
>>
>>1871520
You are not going to get a perfect match across three paint types, so use a paint that will work for all surfaces, such as an oil based enamel, or if it is for something like a boat, use Northane Gloss which some hardware stores have, and boat stores have. It's a brushable two pack and probably the best finish you'll find. It's also like $80/liter, so it's up there with car paint for price. They have 16 standard colours, but if you buy enough, they'll custom tint for you. After that, just something like Kilrust or the Dulux metal paint from Bunnies if you don't have deep pockets
>>
I want to do farmers walks with these but the plates swing into my legs because of the twist of the chain how can I set it up so the plates stay at my side?
>>
>>1871665
Why not just hold at the bottom of the plate while walking? Don't need all that extra crap that way.
That or find an actual set of barbells on craigslist or at a garage sale.
>>
>>1871676
I’m gonna use more than one plate. Farmers walk is like carrying two heavy suitcases as long as you can walk. Idk if you understand from my original post but a barbell won’t work
>>
File: IMG_20200724_135439_01~2.jpg (1.09 MB, 3264x2448)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
I know a little bit about roofing, but I really don't know shit. is this space supposed to be there or should the decking come down all the way to the fascia boards or rafter. Every roof I've ever worked on, the decking extended past the fascia to give it a drip edge. I've never encountered this. Is it just a fuck up or is there a legitimate reason for it to be this way?
>>
I need to replace a jbend with a 1 1/4" inlet and 1 1/2" outlet. I have no idea where to look to find something like that. Everything seems to be all one size.
>>
I'm trying to build a simple RC airplane, i get most of the airodynamic concept but i find myself stuck on something i can't find, how much lift do i need?!

For an airplane of 400g how much lift does the wing has to produce and at what speed ?!

I can't find the equasion for that.
>>
>>1871842
This will get you started.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli%27s_principle
>>
>>1871842
https://youtu.be/HsgZM2TXXy4

Here's another good place to start.
>>
>>1870249
I'm trying to construct a 20 feet communication tower made out of water pipes.

i have a snag, seems welding tower reinforcement lattice is kinda tricky. I'm using pipe as the legs on the tower. and also a smaller pipe as reinforcement.
>>
>>1872060
its a tripot btw,

do you think this structure is strong? the reinforcement also serves as stairs to the top.

is there easier way of welding the reinforcement? pipes is kinda tricky because of the rounded surface of pipe.
maybe replace it with a rebar. or angle bars.
>>
>>1871866
>>1871865
For crying out loud, i know what lift is and how an airfoil works.
what i want to know is the relationship lift vs airplane weight.
the question was clear
>>
i recently bought a house and it has this massive bathroom mirror that is on the same level as the tiles around it, but its missing a seal around it as you can see the wall behind it. Would normal silicone be a good idea here?
>>
File: wrap around.jpg (23 KB, 556x444)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>1872060
>>1872062
For a good fit, make a wrap around template to cope the pipes.
>>
File: 124541345.png (1.54 MB, 1320x924)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB PNG
I bought this little voice changer. Is there a way to change the voices it has installed?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ra3S9uFGss
>>
>>1872162
this is for a miter not a cope. Nice try.
>>
>>1870249
I have a house without a basement and was thinking of building a small thermally isolated chest to store shelf stable foods in a lower/stable temp,since my house gets pretty hot sometimes.So my question is did anyone try to do something similar or has some blueprint or suggestion on how to proceed with it?
>>
>>1871275
Read reviews. Honesty, i moved from a small town to a city and after getting stung a few times i look at reviews a lot.
Yeah you will always get sour grapes and other companies pay for spam/bad reviews, but you can see trends
>>
I moved in a new apartment and the air is just too dry. I'm looking at ways to fix that and saw you could use plants. Anyone know if it really works or would I be better off buying an humidifier?
I'm around 30% humidity and it's like my nose and throat are always dry
>>
Hey /diy/ I recently bought this older place and while removing wallpaper from the bathroom I ran across this mold.
My plan was to clean everything up, and then reapply a layer of wallpaper over the wall to paint. The mold is contained to this one wall/corner and as far as I could tell it was due to the previous wallpaper not being applied correctly.
>>
File: moldymoldmo.jpg (149 KB, 1632x1224)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>1872715
Fucking forgot the image. This isn't a tard tier idea right?
>>
File: DSC_0392-min.jpg (1.36 MB, 3088x5504)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
I want to restore an arcade cab, the paint is pretty awful. I'm working with fibreglass. I've chosen to go with auto paint (VW LB9A). How would I go about applying to fibreglass? It already has gelcoat which is covered with cracks, and worn down to black in areas (pictured). Also what looks like wood under the decals. Do I need to completely remove the gel coat before painting over given the cracks, or would I be able to give it a light sand and then just sand/prime the bare areas?
Anything to be careful of if I'm using a heatgun to remove the decals?
>>
>>1872188
hey i got one of those too!
>>
File: barbell.jpg (84 KB, 1000x750)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
How do I clean the rust off the barbell sleeve? The material is supposed to be chrome. The shaft is stainless steel, if that matters.
>>
Anyone know an inexpensive source of Acrylic in the US? Its for lasering so just thin stuff 1/8. Or even wood at 1/4 would be good too. Wood for hardware stores cuts like shit and acrylic is always jacked in its price.
>>
File: file.png (936 KB, 600x600)
936 KB
936 KB PNG
>>1870249
okay. So my dad died recently, and he was a big retard piece of shit who ignored the foundation damage on where him and my mom live. Cracks everywhere, and some doors don't shut anymore. it's not good.

So what's the best way to go about dealing with hiring someone for this shit? Just look for someone on Angie's list to come by and give a quote? should I get an engineering firm to come by and look at it before I get a foundation repair firm to do an inspection? And really how much should I expect for a 1600sqt house built in the 70s? My mom no longer works and has ~200k saved, but if it makes selling easier, it might be worth doing either way. Have no doubt it was the inground pool that did this.
>>
>>1872736
Ketchup.
>>
>>1870295
Is surface mounting not an option?
>>
I need to drill some holes into a piece of hard silicone, and I have standard wood, metal, and concrete drill bits. Which one is more appropriate?
>>
>>1872783
it seems like your daddy issues are more important.
>>
>>1872966
Agree.
>>
>>1872726
You got it for the robot voice too? I plan on taking mine apart completely and fitting it to a mask.
>>
I need to figure out a beam size or something else to hold a load with a crane. I was thinking about a pipe so I can reuse it as a cheater bar but I'm also concerned about the price. What size of pipe could safely hold a load as pictured. About 500kg. Right at the middle of a 4ft span held a the ends. The point of this setup is the avoid something that sticks out and it's on the way of the crane.
>>
How can I grind extremely fine powder similar to the "after" pic?
Materials I'm grinding are chalks and pastels but in my research I haven't seen anything that gets even close.

Mortal and pestle, with sieving, AT MOST gets me the left, coffee grinders were even worse. Now I'm a bit lost about my options
>>
>>1873055
blender.
>>
>>1870249
Any anons in the demolition industry how did you get there? (bong land)
>>
>>1873055
Ball mill. Let it tumble with some steel balls for a couple of days.
>>
I got an Amana AP125D portable AC, and it seems the hysteresis is fucked up.

I set it to 65 and it gets down to around 70 and shuts off the compressor. A problem I'm aware of is that I oversized it because the room is uninsulated in direct sun in 100 degree weather and full of computer equipment so I expected it would have around a 3~5 minute on 2~10 minute on cycle, but shouldn't it still be getting down to below the target temperature instead of above it?

Or is it just using two thermometers and I'm worrying about nothing? I can't find a schematic on it.
>>
File: 1595797816085.png (11 KB, 680x497)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>1872966
>>1872976
Projecting a bit hard there boys. But thanks for stopping by and offering help to a problem I am not familiar with solving myself.
>>
File: drill.jpg (255 KB, 2094x774)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
Is my drill an impact driver? It goes in either direction and has a knob on the front that goes from Screw (2) to Drill (22). On the lower settings, it begins to vibrate under resistance, and on Drill, it doesn't vibrate at all. My other guess would be that it's to stop the drill from stripping screws.

I don't have a manual and I can't find a model number on it.
>>
>>1873260
A drill and an impact driver are two different things, an easy way to tell them apart is a drill will have a 3 jaw chuck and an impact driver will have a chuck that takes hex bits. The vibrating you're feeling is the clutch slipping which is to limit how much torque is applied, you adjust how much torque by twisting the ring and the drill setting will lock the clutch so it won't slip at all.

There are also hammer drills which you may be confusing with an impact driver, your's likely isn't one as they generally list the hammer rate on the label (in BPM or beats per minute) and will have a switch to turn it on and off.
>>
>>1873260
clickety clackety click enchance clickety clack

It's a drill/driver doesn't look like it's impact and yes it vibrates because the dial is a torque limiting clutch.
>>
File: enchance.jpg (586 KB, 4546x1842)
586 KB
586 KB JPG
>>1873269

fuck forgot the picture for my joke
>>
I need a garden hose plant watering nozzle that doesn't turn on at full pressure, because that just sprays dirt all over my walls (indoor plants). Maybe something with two stages? Ideally the flow from the nozzle would be similar to a watering can - slow and weak but voluminous. Anyone know of a good one?
>>
File: 1594627219124.jpg (102 KB, 674x667)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>1873269
>>1873266
You're right, it has a 3 jaw chuck.
Thank you, frens!
>>
hey everyone, hope somebody can help me
im working as a lower minion at this fridge factory and tomorrow is my third day
i heard they need welders, so i asked about the position, and they said that i might get tested soon. though i was looking to be an apprentice or assistant, they need proper welders. wanna do qualified work to bump my pay and lower the hourly charge

they use mig/mag. thing is, i did a short course on the matter but i lack the actual work experience as a welder, yet i want to get the position anyways. any tips?
>>
>>1873277
Get one of those multiple setting ones and set it to mist
>>
File: Welding tables.jpg (484 KB, 2874x631)
484 KB
484 KB JPG
What are the different benefits these welding table tops? Not sure which one to make.

>>1873388
Go practice with a welder. If you don't have one, ask a friend. If they don't have one, ask your boss/factory owner if you could borrow theirs for a bit since you're a little rusty and you need to get used to their welder before your start.
Also, I've seen people practice welding by sticking a pencil into a tube and then mimicking the movement. Not sure if that would help though.
>>
>>1873388
The most important thing is to test the settings before you do any weld on your piece. And learn what to change to make it work. With a proper set up any one can lay a nice bead with a mig gun in a matter of minutes.
>>
File: shapes.png (545 KB, 750x1146)
545 KB
545 KB PNG
How do you google wall tile patterns that are just identical squares of different colors? This is NOT what I'm looking for.
>>
File: colors.png (1.2 MB, 1300x1390)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB PNG
>>1873638
...this IS what I'm looking for, more or less. Which keywords do I use?
>>
>>1873641
mosaic? pixel art?
>>
>>1871842
I'm pretty sure lift is proportionally related to speed. If you don't understand the rate of change of this factors you are just pushing your self into a corner. Find some old books and start from scratch
>>
>>1871842
>For an airplane of 400g how much lift does the wing has to produce and at what speed ?!

Lift is proportional to the square of the velocity of an airplane and as a plane goes faster, its lift increases. As a plane moves forward, its lift force increases until it equals its weight. When lift equals weight, the plane can fly. In level flight, lift equals weight as the plane flies at constant velocity.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1878054-Wing-cg-and-lift-calculators
>>
>>1873661
>mosaic?
This.
>>
>>1871842
>For an airplane of 400g how much lift does the wing has to produce
Ideally 400g
>>
>>1872783
Hire someone to rehang the doors, and cover up the cracks in the block wall with styrofoam and drywall, act like its always been there since you bought the house.
>>
File: IMG_2417.jpg (86 KB, 1000x750)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
What's the difference between a "rotocasting" resin and normal casting resin?

I need to order a new bunch of resin and want to roto/hollow cast a few parts.
Would save a bit of money just using my usual fast-cast resin.
>>
>>1872783
I am going through this now. We have gotten two quotes:

1) shopped around on Yelp, and just started calling people.

2) I like working with people who have experience doing commercial projects

3) quoted $5k to raise one corner of the house - probably another $5k to address the stem wall issues. raising the house will probably fix the doors and other shit going on.

4) second company wants us to pay $500 up front to get an engineering survey before they quote anything, but won't give us an example of what information will be in the survey. I don't want to commission a survey then find out they've left out critical information that I can show to others when getting bids.

Best guyss is just start calling a fuck ton of people, and getting quotes.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (241 KB, 1200x1600)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
>>1870249
Does anybody have a clue what this style of faucet is called? I google'd my ass of for an hour but I didnt find anything
>>
>>1873692
I'd imagine it's something to do with the viscosity and how well it clings to the mould.
>>
File: IMG_20200727_113643694.jpg (1.22 MB, 3072x4096)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
I need to replace a halogen bulb in my range hood. How do I get one of these shits unscrewed so I can access the light?
>>
>>1873780
Looks like the glass just clips in, stick a screwdriver in one of those slots and lever it out.
>>
>>1873792
You're right, this worked. Thanks a lot.
>>
>>1870249
I have a dumb question

I have a generator that says 5550watts run and 8500watt start on it. It has a receptical for a 30 amp plug that says 120/240v and two receptical that look like house ones that say 20 amp on each. Are all of these seperate? Like if I run the 30 amp to my panel ...are the two 20amp house sockets still available to run extension cords from to say back feed another circuit? As long as I dont go over the 5550watts total or the individual 20 amp legs? Somebody break down the best usage of this thing.
>>
Years ago, when /diy/ was a new board, there was a gentleman with some kind of very large underground bunker that he was fixing up -- whatever happpened to that dude?

You still around, buddy?
>>
>>1873970
You should be good as long as you don’t go over the breaker limit on each plug or the 5500W total. Read the owners manual, there should be an obvious warning if they don’t want you running off the 240V and 120V outlets at the same time. Although I’m always running just off the 120V on mine. Make sure you get some quality extension cords and run the carb dry when you store it.

>tfw haven’t fired mine up in a couple years and the Atlantic is getting warm
I need to figure out what to do with all this Irma gasoline.

>>1873684
Damn bro so this is what 6yrs as a math major gets you.
>>
>>1873701
Cheers lad. Any tips on what I should be asking when I call? This isn't really my level of expertise for sure.
>>
>>1874005
Bunkerbro went dark, for national security reasons.
>>
File: campershell woes small.jpg (389 KB, 1836x816)
389 KB
389 KB JPG
is there an easy fix for these gas-spring brackets?

is it possible to replace the guts for these T-handles? i tried the keysmith a pick n pull and they told me they couldnt replace the guts.
Where can i buy these T-handles used in person or cheap online? i need four handles on 1 key and i cannot find a fourpack-1key of these online. looks like theyll be $15/ea as well. fuck

frugal option is best option as i have more time than money, ty.
I have a decent collection of random tools and i have friends with moar tools.
>>
>>1873569
Tubes
>cheap
>can clamp shit to them through the gaps
Flat
>maybe more well aligned/dimensionally accurate? If you have it flattened that is
>no gaps so your tools don't keep falling to the ground all the time
>>
>>1873745
It kind of looks like a very short pot filler. Does the handle turn back off by itself like it’s spring loaded?
>>
>>1874028
If I wanted a fast and simple fix for those rivets popping out, I'd probably try sticking it back on there with some epoxy.

Maybe throw a couple of small sheet metal screws between the rivets for good measure.
>>
>>1874033
>I'd probably try sticking it back on there with some epoxy.
what epoxy do i look out for? aluminum to aluminum epoxy? ive never used epoxy before. i suppose i should google how to use it.

>Maybe throw a couple of small sheet metal screws between the rivets for good measure.
self tapping 1/2in screws?
>>
>>1872900
no its in a kitchen
>>
File: grindbox.jpg (21 KB, 550x189)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
there has to be a lighter grindbox design than this. this shit will weigh like at least 75lbs for a 7ft long box.

Im thinking i could use wood from a long pallet that has the notches cut out for the forks, and maybe use some 1x2's as the ribs??
>>
File: grindbox222.jpg (99 KB, 640x640)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
im trying to make a quarterpipe extension,
pic is the prototype
>>
File: GOD.png (299 KB, 500x467)
299 KB
299 KB PNG
guys, my house is absurdly fucking hot

i get that the weather is really hot right now and that comes with the territory, but it still seems excessive. it's a two story with a basement and attic, no central air, window units only, gas heat. i'm working on insulating the attic and i'm about 70% of the way done, but it doesn't seem like the attic is any cooler. is insulation the sort of thing that only really has an effect when it's 100% coverage? does insulating an attic even help with the lower floors? what else can i do to cool this shit down?

on a related note, what can be done to a house to make it so that i can plug more shit in without blowing the power out. i can't run both two AC's at once and it's making everything that much worse
>>
>>1874095
Just use 1x4 for the framing, half the weight
>>
>>1874115
yes insulation is nearly worthless if its not installed properly, one tiny gap will cause a draft and pretty much negates all the hard work youve dont. if you want to do it on the cheap, 20 bucks worth of caulking will be far more effective than 3 grand worth of half ass installed fiberglass.
>>
>>1873780
A firm counter-clockwise turn on mine drops them out. Might be the same on yours.
>>
>>1874028
Is the problem that you've lost the key?
>>
>>1874143

You mean that expanding foam stuff? I probably already fucked myself by not using that before putting the insulation rolls up
>>
replacing a couple dead cells in a nimh battery pack. its 14.4v 1.5ah, just 12 1500mah cells in series. how much of a housefire am i looking at if i replace the 2 dead cells with 2000mah ones? all of the good old cells and new cells are 1.1-1.2 volts so theyre all healthy, im just concerned that whatever signal the charger is looking for to go from charge to float mode might get confused with 2 cells having higher capacity.
>>
>>1874115
>i can't run both two AC's at once
Each window unit needs its own dedicated 15Amp breaker. It sounds like you have 2 running on a single 20 amp breaker along with everything else on that branch circuit. As a temporary fix get one of them off that circuit by running an extension cord. You can add a new circuit pretty cheap.
>>
>>1874154
well i was thinking caulk but the canned foam is probably a better idea. Think about insulation like a coat. if you got a fucked up zipper its pretty useless.
>>
>>1870656
wirsbo, or pex type a. use pex fittings, don't sharkbite like a scab
>>
File: lack.png (85 KB, 640x640)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
not sure if it's quite /diy/ but how much weight should an ikea lack (pic related) or similar table hold?
i wanted to use it as a smaller side table to my desk to keep my pc off the ground and to free up some desk space, but i'm a bit worried that a $15 20x20x18" particle board table might not be sturdy or strong enough to hold it and if i should just look for a slightly more expensive one that can hold the weight
>>
>>1874225
What's your PC weigh? At most 5kg unless you got a stainless steel case or something.
Should hold, if it flexes add a peg in the middle
>>
Putting some concrete down
Family member with minimal experience comes to watch, not help, just watch.
"You're doing it wrong, you need to x"
When did all the experts come out if retirement

Installing bigger ac into wall, need to open up hole
Measured hole and cutting it out
Random family member appears.
"It's not going to fit in there, you need to cut it bigger."
What do you think I'm doing Sherlock?

Does anyone else get suggestions from people who don't know squat? Do you just brush it off? I know I can be a bigger dick, when I'm tired or doing something difficult.
>>
>>1874225
Google reveals about 25kg is the rated capacity so about 50kg.
>>
I'd like to put some temperature sensors at the gate of my shop, have a red/green light and temperature at my cashier's desk,
servicing a locker to lock down and unlock the door.
Do you maybe know any good lockers to recommend ?
>>
File: Bathroom.png (1.95 MB, 940x1688)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB PNG
Redoing my bathroom by removing this ugly ass paneling and repainting it, but I found some exposed sheetrock under one section and there's bound to be more since this entire house is basically sheetrock. What do I do to cover this up or should I just start removing all this shit?
>>
>>1870319
Just use PEX with a shroud.you can easilly do the whole distance without any welds, so there is not that much to go wrong.
>>
>>1874346
Renovating a house, Got a lot of advice from people who honestly do know their shit.
But give different advices that are all true, one not necessarily better than the other, but contradicting nonetheless
>Go metalstud it's super fast
>Go 2*3s its much easyer than metalstud if you got weird corners
>Go aerated concrete, it's like Lego
And then:
>Do the pipes first, then the floor cuz it saves crawling.
>Do the boards first and then the pipes, then you can just drill holes rather than have to work around the pipes.

>First paint this and then that, its much easyer to wipe off
>First paint that and then this, its much easyer to tape off

And so on and so on. You know the guy who was a plumber has had to work around a lot of wood in his life and the wood guy has had to work around a lot of pipes in his life. Great now I have to choose.
>>
File: 2020-07-28_10-51-35.gif (3 MB, 912x624)
3 MB
3 MB GIF
I have the following assembly I am trying to make for a design in my house, the goal is to have a motor on the bottom short piece that causes the outer pieces to extend to set positions. I thought using gear ratios and belts would be easiest for keeping as much weight down lower, but I cant figure out how to get all the gears going from just the one motor. The first two work fine but then every link after that wont move because they are moving with the bars. Any ideas on how I could better accomplish this?
>>
>>1874314
i have a metal case that weights about 8kg completely empty, i don't know the exact weight but after taking a quick look at the heaviest parts from it on amazon, it's probably about 12-14kg total
should i just make a support for the middle regardless? i'm sure i can find some scrap wood and plywood laying around and spray paint it black to match, if it prevents the table from caving in and destroying my pc i wouldn't mind paying a bit more to reinforce it a bit since i can't find any other similar tables made of sturdier materials for a reasonable price
>>
>>1874411
Fiber mesh tape and skim coat it all smooth, oil primer, paint.
>>
I am looking for a 4 to 14 inch pneumatic wheel that is rated for at least 200 kg ( 400 lbs) that comes with disk breaks

It is for a homemade airplane.
i'v been lurking on Alibaba and they all seem to be rated for 80kg
>>
>>1874512
buy wrecked trailer with brakes or find an old car and scavenge.
>>
>>1874225
>particle board table
It's hollow inside. Becomes rickety quickly. The threads are partially in the air. It sucks.
Ask a welder friend to make a small frame for you and just paint then screw a board to it.
>>
>>1874512
Good hand truck wheels?
>>
>>1874468
A scissor mechanism would probably be far simpler to make. It's still not retardedly easy so I hope you have some tools and experience.
>>
>>1874523
bro they're too heavy!
>>1874591
looks good, do they come with breaks?
>>
What's a good way to cut a circular hole in 1.5mm stainless steel. I've got a dremel but that seems like it would be too slow, and I've got an angle grinder that I can't figure out how to cut a circle with.
>>
File: IMG_20200724_190611.jpg (3.1 MB, 4160x3120)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
With a few coats of finish, how durable is a softwood table top going to be?
>>
Is drylok a meme?
>>
>>1874637
No. I’m not sure of what kind of wheel you are going to find that has brakes installed unless it’s a little 4”-6” caster, and those are just parking brakes in a way.
>>
>>1874640
its ok for a picnic table.
>>
>>1874674
It was going to be for a table next to my bbq to throw plates, trays and stuff on. I had a bunch of ~30" lengths of 2x4 SPF leftover from some job.
>>
>>1874640
its going to dent and first time you stand on it it might split but for a coffee table its grand.
>>
>>1874512
https://www.air-techinc.com/maingroups.php?pmid=20
>>
>>1874512
https://www.air-techinc.com/contpics/BX1000%20MANUAL%20Revised%2008-22-12r.pdf
>>
>>1874638
How big a hole? If it's a regular size, just holesaw it. With a grinder you have to mark out an area and keep grinding until its square
>>
File: Australia_flag.png (14 KB, 800x400)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
I need a metal cut off saw. Where can I get a decent cheap saw? I checked nearby on gumtree with no luck. There's this one from bunnings
https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-356mm-2300w-metal-cut-off-saw_p6290607
the fence clamp has too much play in it so I didn't buy it.
Total tools cheapest one
https://www.totaltools.com.au/355mm-2000w-cut-off-saw
Supercheap's only one
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/toolpro-toolpro-metal-cut-off-saw-355mm/551870.html?cgid=SCA01050208#start=5

I don't know much about cut off saws. Other than the fence, what else should I be looking for?
>>
>>1874902
I was gonna suggest the Evolution cold cut saw, but for some reason it's $800 for auzzies. The Makita one is probably decent, though it's from their low-end MT series.
>>
>>1874902

The Ozito is probably the better one out of those options.

They're like Bunnings' home brand, but all my shitty corded Ozito tools have lasted longer than some more expensive ones I upgraded to.

Just be wary that the bits/discs they come with tend to be absolute trash, like you might want to buy some nicer cutting discs to go with it
>>
>>1874931
Little pricey but it would suit my other Makita saw. Maybe.

>>1874947
Which disk do you recommend?
I have an ozito drill press and I agree, they're one of the better entry level tool makers. But the fence sucks. I'm used to cutting timber exactly 90°. I know that it's not as necessary for welding but I'd prefer it.
>>
File: IMG_20200729_133528.jpg (264 KB, 1024x768)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
I bought a Dremel dsm20 used and there was these bits extra, don't know what they belong to. They're not in the saw manual, so maybe some other product. Any ideas.
>>
>>1875005
Have you ever used a rotary tool before? The key goes into the bit chuck and prevents the it from turning. The spanner allows you to tighten the chuck so that your bit doesn't go flying. The nut might be part of the pen adapter or similar. I can't tell without seeing the tool.
>>
Any thoughts on the bootleg Foredom SR?
>>
I've got some of that braided steel cable that I need to terminate so all the little wire pieces don't fray out and stab me, will just globbing solder on it do the job? It's not being used for anything load bearing.
>>
>>1874992
You're not going to get great cuts from an abrasive chop saw like that either way. If you want very high precision and repeatability off the saw and don't mind slow speed, it's bandsaw. If you want to go fast, it's cold cut saw.
>>1875086
Solder should be fine.
>>
>>1875101
I tried it out, but it just doesn't stick to it at all.
>>
File: iu[1].jpg (20 KB, 500x500)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>1875005
found what theyre for...
>>
>>1871665
Get some black iron pipe and fittings, make a horizontal U shape. You hold onto top, and weights hang on bottom.
>>
My fridge keeps getting filled with ice every time summer comes around. I have to defrost it manually every two days so it keeps working. Any idea what's wrong? This happened after my retarded mother left the fridge closed and turned off while I was away on vacation for 3 months.
>>
>>1875117
>what is flux
>>
>>1875244
I fluxed the shit out of it, it didn't help. I'm guessing you need a blowtorch and silver solder or something.
>>
>>1870249
i'm trying to weld a 4130 steel tube structure, can i use MIG to tack the tubes then use oxy torch to finish the weld ?
>>
File: item_img50645_14[1].jpg (668 KB, 1200x1800)
668 KB
668 KB JPG
How do I line a box like this? I have a box, but I want the interior padded like this.
>>
>>1875051
is it a knock off or something?
>>
>>1874638
hydraulic punch?
>>
>>1874096
cool. how do you keep it rigid? Seems like it would snap off or bend really easily. Also would seriously suck to fall onto that lol.
>>
>>1873055
flour mill?
>>
>>1874009
I don't know shit about it, but rest assured everyone who comes out to the house will spend a fucking hour re-explaining how foundations work for you.

Just call 3 places, get quotes, come back with questions.
>>
>>1875051
if you shop around you can find a used one pretty cheaply. They lose about 50% value the second they go from new to used.
>>
>>1875306
Each side is a separate piece of mdf with the material stuck to the outside. Remember to leave wiggle room when cutting the pieces out, the fabric will fill it out.
>>
>>1875101
Alright. So what justifies the price difference between the abrasive saws? Better motors? Last longer?
>>
File: nestbox1.jpg (3.15 MB, 4000x3000)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB JPG
I built this big bastard of a nest box for the chicken coop I'm (attempting to) building. I'm wondering how to position and support it in the frame of the coop, since it's rather heavy. I'm not sure it really matters if it takes up a lot of the interior space of the coop, but I tried cutting these two horizontal supports to go underneath the protruding rear so it can go further out.
However (shown in the next photo) because I don't really know what I'm doing, and don't have the tools to cut accurately they don't fit well; I'm not sure they'd even do anything. Thoughts?
>>
File: nestbox2.jpg (2.53 MB, 4000x3000)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB JPG
>>1875505
>>
File: Shelf brackets.jpg (317 KB, 836x1024)
317 KB
317 KB JPG
>>1875505
>>1875506
The easy way is to make a shelf bracket and install 1 on each side. They're super strong even when they're small. A large angle iron can also work. One made from wood will also work.
>>
File: brackets.jpg (2.63 MB, 4000x3000)
2.63 MB
2.63 MB JPG
>>1875509
Do you mean like this? Would small like the one on the left do?
>>
File: Dr-Seuss.jpg (52 KB, 728x728)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>1875514
Small one will do,
but you might need two.
>>
>>1875518
righto, thanks
>>
File: IMG_3503.jpg (1014 KB, 3264x2060)
1014 KB
1014 KB JPG
my nail came off. and i wrapped it with bandage. will it be okay?
>>
File: brackets2.jpg (2.25 MB, 3669x2855)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB JPG
>>1875518
>>1875509
I found these laying around. 6cm x 3.5cm on each uhh, side?. Would they do?
>>
I want an adjustable loop of rope that I can lock in place with a key. Like a bike chain, but without the chain pieces. I guess a belt I can lock could work too.
>>
>>1875550
Yeah, it'll probably turn black and fall off and somewhere between 3 months and a year and you'll have a new nail
>>
>>1875550
nah a new nail is gonna grow, took mine about 6 months I believe
>>
>>1875588
Give it a go man, what's the worse that can happen? If they don't work, make some out of wood and add the brace in the middle.
>>
>>1875258
You need a lot of heat and you need acidic flux. If you have under 5mm or so thickness, a regular 60W soldering iron should probably do it with a thick tip and lots of solder on the tip.
>>
>>1875505
Screws through the side of the box into your vertical member, screw through the bottom of the box. Add a second vertical member to opposite end of box.
>>
>>1875500
I assume build quality. 1800W motor or 2200W motor isn't gonna make a big difference.
>>
>>1875216
bad seals? thermometer is going bad or mis-located.
>>
>>1870249
Not sure if this is a /diy/ question but it's probably a stupid one. I'm going to be moving into a place with a low-flow toilet with the smallest tank I've ever seen, and I can't replace it. If I just dump a bucket of water into the tank while it's flushing can I effectively create a more powerful flush? I've used one like it before and its flush basically had the strength of a urinal's.
>>
>>1875679
That will work just fine. Hell you don’t even have to flush the toilet, just dump the bucket.
>>
>>1875681
Straight into the bowl? I thought maybe there was something about the way the water fed into the bowl from the tank that was conducive to flushing, but that would be easier. Just, you know, there's always the risk of splash-back.
>>
>>1875682
Usually toilets have one main waterway leading from the tank to the bowl for force, then a bunch of smaller ones around the rim to scour the bowl surface and keep it clean. Dumping the bucket might not remove any skid marks on the sides, but it shouldn't splash too bad And will definitely flush properly.
>>
>>1875670
It manages to work fine during winter so it's probably the high humidity during summer. I'll see if I can get the seals replaced.
>>
>>1875684
Cool, thanks for clearing for that up
>>
How much would it cost to get guttering and fascias replaced? 2 bed terraced house, looking at around 15m total, plus a couple of downpipes. I'm getting quoted around £1,500 to £2,000 which feels like a lot.
>>
>>1874153
one lock is broken, and the other locks use three different keys. i have a random key that works on one of them.
>>
i'm trying to weld a 4130 steel tube structure, some joints have up to 5 tubes to weld together.

my question is, can i weld 2~3 tubes together then weld the rest another time on the same joint or do i have to weld all 5 together at once?
>>
>>1870249
How do I get started with CAD?
I want to learn how to design printable diagrams of basic things that I want to build, such as a desk or home gym equipment.
>>
File: 8838872170526.jpg (70 KB, 1200x1112)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
I'll be painting this weekend. Tell me about the primer. It says it covers 10 square meters for 1 litre. It says to dilute it 300% with water. So I have two brainlet question:
1. 300% dilution means I put 25% primer an 75% water, right? Or 33% primer and 66% water?
2. 1 litre covering 10 square meters is before the dilution or after the dilution?
>>
>>1875897
try google sketchup, doesnt cost $1000/yr
>>
what's the best stuff to use to seal the seam where my driveway paving meets my foundation?
>>
>>1875866
Have you taken one off and checked to see if they come apart from the rear? I know some of the metal ones drop apart from the back once they're removed, usually a circlip holding it all in place. I'm assuming the plastic ones probably slide apart or have a worm screw in the plastic holding it to the internals.

If so then it's just a case of finding four of the same size barrel lock, which should be a standard part.

If not, junkyard is prolly your best bet to try and find a set of four and a key.
>>
What's the best youtube series/video or article to learn sketchup? Every time I try to dick around with it I get frustrated and quit.
>>
>>1870249
what kind of soldering iron do i need for my wires that are thin as my hair, they are coiled and they kept getting burned when i'm trying to solder them
>>
>>1876176
You mean temperature? try no higher than 230C. IF you cannot set that on your iron, get one with temperature control.
Also if your wire is literally burning, it's probably not copper, since copper melts at 1080C.
>>
How ghetto is glueing and nailing leftovers flooring onto a sheet of plywood to make a small table?

Got most of a box of 2 1/2" tongue and groove hardwood and my coffee table is s piece of shitty MDF.
>>
found an old welder and it has 6 outputs: +,- and 0,90,180,270 degrees
what does it mean?
is it still worth anything(apart from all the copper)
>>
>>1876233
Minus for cold and plus for hot, duh.
>>
>>1876176
are you doing audio stuff? reminds me of the headphone cables :(
>>
>>1876283
yeah, cable got pulled out so im soldering it again

>>1876191
the wire gets black and sticky, and cant hear any low frequency making music whisper-y like metal-rock and pop-rock became ASMR all of a sudden
stores all closed so I just ordered one with temperature control online
>>
noscript captcha is back!

>>1876287
in my experience you need to separate the metal and the plastic strands in the cable and then go at it with the soldering iron with a fuckton of flux
when the solder sticks to the copper its done
>>
How the fuck do I drill holes in stainless steel without ruining drill bits?

I bought a 55 gallon stainless steel drum and I'm building a smoker out of it. I need to drill 30 or so holes in it for various things. It's taking me 5-10 minutes to drill each hole and drill bits are worthless after 2-3 holes. I've tried standard black drill bits, I've tried titanium, I've tried cobalt, none of it lasts.

What the fuck do I use???
>>
>>1876730
Cobalt usually works, carbide as well. The trick with stainless is to drill at a low speed. Full throttle causes the bit to heat up and dull rapidly. Keep it at a slow speed and you won’t burn out your bits. Also use paraffin wax to help keep the temp down. There’s no quick way to drill through stainless but this will keep you from blowing up your bits. You will need a lot of patience.
>>
>>1876201
>nails
Ghetto as hell, but probably worth doing. If you've got leftovers and a place to use 'em, use 'em.
>>
File: KK5031855_1-B.jpg (45 KB, 1000x1000)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>1875970
I like this stuff.
>>
fuck you
>>
Can I lay laminate floor over EPS foam? Which foam density should I get?
I have relatively straight concrete slab, but it is cold as fuck. But I don't want to pour 2-3 cm layer of screed over EPS foam.
I don't plan to use that special foam (3 mm thick?) for laminate over EPS obviously
>>
>>1876569
>noscript captcha is back!
What do you mean? I still have to trust google and gstatic to post.
>>
>>1876799
nvm, figured that out. Joint will break
>>
>>1876776
Brad nails...
>>
I'm trying to get an estimate for my house, 1800 sq ft, same color, exterior, one story, and my first estimate was 7k.

That seems crazy high but they also seem to do a 10/10 job, I just want to sell the house.
>>
>>1876857
This is for painting, sorry, just really stressing out about it.
I'm assuming they're gonna have to literally scrape it all off besides just putting on a new coat.
>>
>>1870249
I have a circuit board that has a microphone on it for controlling lights.
What changes would I need to do to replace the microphone with an aux input to just get direct audio?
>>
>>1876860
Get three quotes. Also, what kind of siding are you painting onto here?
>>
>>1876875
Regular wood siding? It's an old ass house, first time home owner, thought it'd be cool to have a historical house, found out it's problems but with an aesthetics.
>>
>>1876879
Old houses are cool man. I'm in a 1860s weatherboard house sitting on a ring foundation. Sometimes there's catch-up work that needs to be done, so it goes. Multi-storey? 7k doesn't seem too bad depending on the paint, storeys, and access. But get three quotes. Only pick the lowest if you're sure they're legit.
>>
File: Screenshot_24.png (444 KB, 459x453)
444 KB
444 KB PNG
Boy I have old paint stuck on my outdoor tiles. Tried using a 2k psi pressure washer but its not really doing the job. Any other options that doesnt involve manually scraping the paint off with a razor?
>>
File: Bummer.png (1.09 MB, 818x564)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
>>1876884
1 story, the house really took a beating with me living in it, this picture is extremely old considering that sapling is now an actual thriving tree.

I'll definitely get 3 quotes, no idea who would just go with the first one anyways unless money isn't an issue. I more so came here to see if this was a typical price regardless of location. Thanks for replying too.
>>
Can I get away with wiring an extra line through a round box receptacle that will be used for a wall sconce to power a nearby outlet? This is it to avoid having to put in a junction box on the wall, essentially using the round box for the light as a junction box as well as serving the wall sconce. When demoing the old drywall in a room I found a roundbox buried in the wall that contained a live connection. I guess there used to be a sconce on the wall that was removed, and to preserve outlet wiring in the rest of the room, they turned it into a junction box and buried it in the wall with no access. I would like to have an actual sconce in this location, but still want to power the outlets that were wired off of this connection what it was enclosed in the wall.
>>
>>1876888
Shit man that's ideal for doing it yourself - All you need is a stepladder that can reach the peak of the eaves, a hand sander to prime the existing paint work for a new coat, and a decent paintbrush to pair with appropriate paint. Try tacking a side face of the house over a single rain-free weekend and see how you go - You'll probably build confidence with that and then be able to tackle the other sides as well. You might spend 2-3k in materials (paint, tools).
>>
>>1876811
>trust google and gstatic
what do you mean

4chanx -> settings -> force noscript captcha
you could probably also disable it with umatrix
clover/kuroba on mobile also have the option
>>
>>1876886
I'd try renting a more powerful pressure washer. I know Home Depot rents 3000-4000 PSI ones and I imagine they'd work pretty well. I used one a couple years back to strip my deck and it worked fine (at getting the stain off, it also fucked the wood up so I don't recommend that).

If that doesn't work, you might try some kind of chemical stripper.
>>
I want to attach a small loop to a piece of stainless steel pipe so I can run a piece of wire down the outside of it, but I haven't got a welder. Any ideas? Ideally without puncturing the pipe, or leaving as smooth a surface as possible inside the pipe afterwards.
>>
>>1877068
Any reason you can’t just zip tie the wire to the outside of the pipe?
>>
>>1877104
It's tapered down, it'd just slide off over time.
>>
>>1877149
rough up a spot on the outside of the pipe and use some construction adhesive or epoxy or something to attach your loop
>>
I punched a wall last night, didnt go all the way through, just made a decent sized dent. Can I just fill it with drywall putty and sand it down?
>>
bathtub/shower was clogged with a lot of standing water, i tried plunging for a while to see if that would fix it and it didn't
after i bucketed out all the standing water I found out that using the bathroom sink causes water to come up from the bathtub drain.
i've been pouring drano, waiting 20-40 minutes, and then pouring down hot water for a while and it's still clogged
i don't think one of those snakes will work because if pouring water down the bathroom sink causes water to come up in the bathtub the clog must be pretty far down the pipes right?

what options do i have left at this point?
>>
>>1876569
>>1876287
they are coated with plastic I think - so that is going to melt off, allowing for a connection. You don't want to get it too hot, obviously. i would use an alligator clip with wire attached on both ends as a heat sink.

Are you soldering two wires, or a wire to a connector?

I use regular solder, regular iron. It's probably not the best soldered joint, but it works. I use as little heat on the wire as possible, and do my best to force a mechanical connection before soldering.
>>
I have a doorway that measures about 27"x77" that I need to block so the AC isn't running 24/7, it's not the main entrance to the room. I rent so it can't be permanent.

What's the best way to block it off?
>>
>>1877438
You ever seen those screen doors that close with magnets? There must be something like that, some fabric with magnets or velcro to hang it.
>>
How do I know which size electrode to use? AFAIK, thicker is better for covering large gaps but why would one use 2mm over 2.6mm, the difference seems negligible. For learners, which should I get?
Aus: Where do you get your electrodes outside of bunnings?
>>
My bathroom faucet is dripping and I need to replace the cartridge in it. Problem is that I can't turn off the line that's leaking. With hand pressure the knob doesn't turn and I'm scared to grab a wrench because the entire goddamn line moves. I'm scared I'm going to break the line and then have to cut off water to the entire house and call a plumber, making a quick and easy diy job turn into something much worse. Any ideas on how to loosen the knob? WD40?
>>
I've got a situation where I need to connect 2 pieces of metal, but one side has to be flush afterwards. Do they make screws that are basically a grub screw on one side, while the other side still had a head like a regular screw, but it's blank? I can't use a rivet because there's almost no access to the side that needs to be flush.
>>
>>1877355
The clog is probably in your main pipe, not the bathtub&shower sink, so stop using chemicals until you have located the actual clogged drain. Use a snake to unclog the main pipe. After the problem is solved, use baking soda/ white vinegar/ boiling water to clear the pipe every 2 months, to prevent this problem in the future.

I recommend you to hire a professional plumber for that, they have all the tools and knowledge, and can fix your problem very fast and save you a ton of time.

Tip: be prepared to first class view of a hairy buttcrack and a lot of dirty mess. The plumber won't clean up after they've done their job, so have dish washing soap and a sponge ready, so you can clean up after he is gone.
>>
>>1877355
>>1877629
I forgot, if you have a kitchen on the other side of the wall, where your bathroom is, the main pipe might be there.

There is also a difference between living on first floor in a house, or 3rd floor in an apartment. People who live in houses have problems with tree roots, blocking and clogging a drain. People on third floor apartments might have their drains clogged by someone who lives on 2nd floor.

Just hire a professional to save yourself time and headache -.-
>>
I have a screen door on my porch that just has an old spring to pull it closed. Is it worth putting on one of those pneumatic door closer things? seems like itd be useful to keep it propped open
>>
>>1877355
How old is the house? Are the drains visible from the basement? If the toilet is unaffected then the clog is probably not in the main line. It used to be common practice to tie the tub and lab drain together, so you should be able to run a small cable from the lav drain and clear the clog. More than likely it’s a short run, less than 20’. Probably less than that. Around here most houses that have the tub and lav connected like that are very old, so you might want to check below and make sure the drains aren’t lead before you get started. Also the older the house, the bigger a can of worms this could be. How old is the house and can you post pictures of the drain from below?
>>
>>1877536
How is the valve connected to the water line? Some are threaded on, if so you can get new valves at the hardware store and replace them preemptively when you replace the cartridges.
>>
>>1877509
Thicker uses way more amps, blows through thin metal. 2mm is good for 2-3mm metal thickness. 3 is good for 3-5. 2.6 is a middle ground that still easily blows through 2mm wall if you're not careful.
>>1877613
I can't figure out what you want from that description, drive it from one side and let it have a head on the other, and that head does nothing but hold it on the surface? If you want a flush surface, you'd normally use a countersunk bolt. But you could achieve the former with a grub screw and a self-locking nut. Post a drawing.
>>1877641
You'd know more than anyone else, depends on how you use it.
>>
>>1877654
I can put it through from the flush side, but there's no room to get a driver in there, and even if there was I wouldn't want to add more edges.
>>
>>1877662
So you need it countersunk from the flush side or it can stick out, but you simply can't drive it from there? In either case, you can take a grub screw and weld an appropriate head to it.
They make carriage bolts that have a square shape on the head end, if you can square up the hole, that can hold it in place and probably does what you want.
>>
>>1877613
Tack weld a few threaded rod onto the flush piece. Drill corresponding holes on the second piece. Bolt on.
>>
>>1877536
Find the main tap and cut your house water first. If you don't know where that is, you shouldn't be fucking with this until you do.
>>
>>1877667
>>1877686
>weld
You know, if I could weld, I'd just drill a hole through one piece and plug weld it, right? That's obviously far more sensible than building my own screw.
>>
>>1877693
Why are you assuming the attachment should be permanent?
>>
>>1877613
Thread the flush side with a tap and use a regulat bolt
>>
>>1877536
Sounds like that valve hasn't been operated in a while, which means it's probably gonna leak after you get it moving, so i would just shut off water to the whole house and be ready to replace that valve.
>>
>>1877801
This is always the case. I dont know why they bother with the under sink shutoffs. They never work
>>
File: 2020-07-31 14.35.26.jpg (2.23 MB, 2268x1701)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB JPG
I created a thread for this, but I'll try asking here since it's pretty basic.

A track light burned out and before I rip these contacts out of the housing, I want to make sure I'm not going to ruin it.

When I pulled the burned bulb out, it was tough to get out, and it looks like the contacts ripped out and stayed in the housing (for lack of a better term, not sure if "housing" is the right word but you get my point). This used to happen in other lights I've had and I yanked them out with pliers and all good. But these lights are hard to get to, and I'm way up a ladder and I really don't want to break it.

What does /diy think?
>>
File: 2020-07-31 14.34.53.jpg (2.24 MB, 2268x1701)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB JPG
>>1877831
>>
File: 2020-08-01 10.06.34.jpg (749 KB, 1008x756)
749 KB
749 KB JPG
>>1877832
The bulbs new have the contacts still attached, so it seems obvious that I should yank them out of the "housing". But I'm not anywhere near a place to get a replacement if I break it, so I want to be careful with it.
>>
Moving soon, in due course will build a workshop/garage. I want to get into wood work, and plan on using pallet wood to practice while developing skills. I know, I know. I'm in the UK and have been told that certain pallets are treated with chemicals which could be harmful to humans (bug/rodent protection I believe). Is there a reliable way to identify what I should avoid. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1877874
You can buy CLS for like 3 quid for 8 feet, why would you use treated garbage wood?
>>
File: 20200802_164823.jpg (2.79 MB, 4032x3024)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB JPG
So when I buy those little wooden boxes at craft stores they sometimes have these small metal pins that I like to use for attaching leather to other boxes I make. Problem is I have no idea what they are called or where to buy them. Upholstery tacks are too big I tried those.
>>
Ok, so this is a bit of a strange request but I'm hoping someone can help me figure out how to do this.

I want to build a jig for cutting paper, but I want to be high dimensionally accurate, and I want to be square as well, which I've been having trouble achieving with a standard knife+straightedge, or guillotine cutter.

I'm thinking of a square with a couple floating guides I can slide up and down, but I would like to be able to slide very accurately. I don't want to have it set at "5 inches-ish, give or take an eigth". I want to be able to know it's set to 5 inches exactly, with a tolerance of a 64th at most. I want accurate cuts, more accurate than I can eyeball.

Again, any help is appreciated
>>
So my buddy has a 2 stroke motor with a 12v DC output. We had the idea to use the output as control voltage for a synthesizer, so I'm looking for a way to have the throttle change the output voltage.

Is this possible, and if so, how?
>>
>>1870295
a little late to the party but if you mean an electrical outlet the easiest and most sure option is conduit and metal box mounted directly to the concrete.
>>
>>1877989
see if you can get a machinist to build you some kind of locking track system if it needs to be that accurate, basically what you're saying with the slides. it's kind of hard to say without knowing what dimensions you're talking talking and the thickness of your paper, if it's just 11x8.5 or 11x17 or if the size could be random, or if you may need to cut poster board or cardboard as well. you can do a lot with a square, a set of verniers, some straight edges and some clamps. if you don't mind set up taking forever and you're cutting manually by riding a straightedge with some xacto knife then some track, rail or slide would work fine.
>>
>>1877982
just pump "small brass nails" or "small brass tack nails" into google and you'll find plenty of similar chinese options. if you're trying to make brass rivets for leather just look for brass rod or wire.
>>
>>1877994
might be possible but maybe not, at least it won't necessarily be simple. if the engine is generating electricity it must have some kind of generator, alternator or some other magneto device that's being driven. I need more information.
>>
>>1878016
Thanks bro! Found more on amazon!
>>
whats the name for those prison beds that are just planks with chains holding them to the wall. i want one so i can maximise space but still not be directly on the floor.
>>
>>1878005
It'd mainly be cutting US Letter, or cutting a letter sized piece from some Davey board. I understand that there's a lot I can do with just a square and a knife, but I'm beginning to distrust my eye's ability to actually bring something to the right length without losing 1/16 over 7 inches or so
>>
>>1878040
Murphy bed
>>
>>1878040
try murphy bed.

>>1878049
>I'm beginning to distrust my eye's ability to actually bring something to the right length
get some verniers. you might be able to get some digital calipers from harbor freight to cheap. I think they have a 12 inch set, probably only inaccurate down to 20 thou. a couple reference points and you're good.
>>
>>1878054
Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of calipers.
>>
>>1878026
it's using a magneto w/ a 12v voltage regulator.
How many volts do 2 stroke motors usually generate without a regulator?

Sorry, my automotive knowledge is very limited
>>
>>1878091
engines don't put out electricity on their own, determining voltage output based on RPMs is seperate from the engine itself. basically we need to determine what the engine uses to produce electricity, what controls that electricity once it's produced, and then what controls the output of that electricity. so if the engine has a magneto can you post a picture of the circuit, or at least give a model number for it. There's are typically a couple of circuits controlling voltage regulation and you'll need to modify those circuits, potentially in an unsafe way, to allow the voltage to change with engine speed. any information you can share may help.

also, what kind of synth are you using and for what purpose? a lot of digital synths behave too well with voltage fluctuation, they shut off or burn out unlike the old analogs that start misbehaving. shirt term solution could be a rhetostat(like a dimmer switch) or a variac.
>>
>>1878116
I'll try and get the model number off my buddy. I was hoping to have the motor output control voltage to use it as a cv source in a modular rig
>>
>>1878120
please do. anything to get a layout of the circuits used. I should also ask what the 12 volt outlet was intended for.
>>
>>1878026
>>1878091
>>1878116
>>1878120
>>1878180
>>1877994
Just hook a small DC motor to the output shaft....
>>
>>1877874
No clue on your main question, But if you're going to be building a workshop build it with air filtration in mind. It's so much nicer to work with machines hooked up to a dust collector and there's alot less cleanup work afterwards.

Dust collectors aren't expensive at all and they're definitely worth it.
>>
File: PullUpBar_03[1].jpg (189 KB, 1200x1200)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
I have an open framed basement with a couple "rooms" that are just framed in. Can I put a pullup bar between two sides of a door and expect it to hold like so? picture just for demonstration, would be inside a fully framed door frame going to floor.

needs to hold 100kg. yes i'm fat right now. fuck off.
>>
>>1878248
What's the distance between the studs, how thick is the pipe, what's the diameter?
You shouldn't be doing pull ups at your weight if you're mostly fat. Your tendons won't be able to handle it and it'll likely lead to tendonitis or tearing. I strongly suggest you do inverted rows until you're lighter and make sure the decent/eccentric phase is slow, especially when you bottom out. You can still build the pull up bar but have rings having off them so you can do the inverted rows.
>>
>>1877874
If it's colourful(red, green etc), don't use it. You should see something like H/T only on it, those are safe. If you start cutting something and it doesn't smell like wood or burnt wood, stop. Go to a local building site during framing and use that first so you get to know the smell of wood. Wear a mask and work near the garage door if you can.
>>
>>1877880
Thanks. There's an abundance of free pallets in my area,.I've seen so people on YouTube make (to my eyes) some cool/nice things from pallets.
>>
>>1878195
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
>>
>>1878263
Yes, I've seen blue/red ones. Does the colour indicate what is wrong/unhealthy to work with?
>>
>>1878261
standard door distance? pipe is whatever diameter i buy
>>
>>1878266
Yeah, those are treated with chemicals. Don't even use them for a fire.

>>1878269
Then 30mm+ diam, 3mm+ thick is good. If you want to train your forearms at the same time, get a 40-50mm pipe.
>>
>>1877831
Normally the contacts should come out with just a bit of pulling and wiggling, but I guess you should doublecheck your socket if there's any area you could press or screw you could turn to release the contacts. There shouldn't be any, though.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.04 MB, 1439x1295)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB PNG
plz

i was gonna buy a cheap 6 pack of random microfiber cloths from german amazon but i cancelled them because the delivery time was going to be very long because they're apparently lagging behind and prioritizing household staples and hygiene products and PPE etc in some warehouses because of corona
so i'm looking for a decent affordable microfiber cloth that i can find in my country

primary use:
>dry my bicycle frame after washing it with wax shampoo and rinsing with water
>wipe off excess wax after waxing the bike frame
secondary use (maybe a once-off):
try to remove light scratches from a mirror-finish stainless steel cog (phil wood) in combination with dremel 421 polishing compound, some american amazon reviews said dremel 421 works pretty well for stainless steel

is the exterior microfiber cloth suitable for all of these uses? it's on the left in pic related with alternative products on the right for reference. it doesn't seem to be advertised for drying after a rinse but maybe it will be absorbent enough for drying a bicycle frame? it's 40x40 cm. i guess one cloth won't be enough to do both the wash and the wax at the same time but i don't think my mom wants to shop at the store that has cheap basic microfiber cloths and i can't find my old microfiber cloth but i guess i could borrow my mom's microfiber cloth to polish the stainless steel with?
>>
>>1878380
you need to be able to decide things like this for yourself in life or it will impair you as an adult.
>>
>>1878384
plz anon i have gone through a lot i decided to buy a cheap bicycle which turned out to be a total piece of crap luckily i got my money back because the guy selling them was an even bigger brainlet than me and refused to replace the defective frame but he agreed to take the whole bike back for a refund which turned out to be a blessing for me because the bike was generally pretty bad so i could get a different bike instead but i don't want to fuck it up by scratching the new bike with a shitty cloth or something

also can i put this wax on anodized aluminium components? they seem to scratch very easily, even pics with brand new stuff like pic related there's some wear on the chromoly steel screws like why even bother to make the screws black if they won't stay black for long
https://www.amazon.de/RS1000-57301-Glanzwachs-500-ml/dp/B001674KVG
>>
also the car-specific microfiber cloths are kinda expensive in my country at least it's like $4.50 for one sonax exterior cloth and there are some that cost way more that are made for luxury cars or something
>>
>>1878391
i mean it was a freaking $700 bike so probably not "cheap" by most people's standards but it was an unknown brand and it promised a lot and failed to deliver the aluminium frame was severely misaligned and the carbon fiber fork was the cheapest one from aliexpress which wasn't quite right they just redished the front wheel to make up for the asymmetry and the spoke tension was fucked up and the components were also cheap aliexpress trash
>>
>>1878403
and it was quite a bit heavier than advertised and the paint and clearcoat was caked on too thick and had dripped and left yellow stains i'm not religious but thank god i'm moving on from that shitty bike
>>
and the front wheel axle and the brake calipers were bent
>>
File: Untitled.png (175 KB, 698x1173)
175 KB
175 KB PNG
supposedly it is difficult to polish stainless steel? i had a hard time finding much info about it. my dad used some polishing compound with probably a regular non-microfiber cloth and it worked to polish up a matted section and a couple of deep-ish looking scratches but he put some new fine scratches into the surface and there's like a haze in some lighting/viewing angles which persists even after cleaning it with vinegar so i'd like to further improve the finish if possible.
>>
>>1878380
ok so german amazon reviewers say it works well for drying and for wiping off excess wax or polish but one guy said it doesn't work well for applying polish because it absorbs the polishing compound instead of distributing it and i guess it would be stupid to use it both for polishing and for wiping because it might get contaminated with the polishing compound. some people said it's nothing special compared to generic microfiber cloths and it bleeds color but that's not a big problem for me on a red bike frame i just have to put it in the laundry separately alongside the wash mitt
>>
File: P_20200803_130834.jpg (3.08 MB, 4000x3000)
3.08 MB
3.08 MB JPG
How do I go about fixing or concealing minor damage to a hardwood floor? Pic related
>>
File: P_20200803_130827.jpg (2.66 MB, 4000x3000)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB JPG
>>1878515
>>
File: P_20200803_130809.jpg (3.96 MB, 4000x3000)
3.96 MB
3.96 MB JPG
>>1878519
>>
>>1878515
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTTTm4zT9uM
>>
>>1878533
What do you think about the dark marks in >>1878520 ? It doesn't look like putting a light stain on top will cover that
>>
>>1878270
Thanks
>>
>>1873692
Rotational casting, from what I've learned, is when the train is poured into the mold. The mold is then rotated constantly on all axis so that a thin walled product is made. Basically allows for even curing.
>>
File: 1522952010821.jpg (506 KB, 1920x1062)
506 KB
506 KB JPG
How many millions of dollars would i need to buy land with a stream and build a house like this? I really like this aesthetic but dont know what to search for to find more examples.
>>
>>1878421
Clean it, then rub in the polish. At work we used those t-shirt rags to do both jobs.
>>
File: file.png (119 KB, 972x873)
119 KB
119 KB PNG
Trying to put a shelf/desk in the middle of this pine raised bedframe. Just wondering what kind of reinforcement should I need for it to hold a pc, monitors, speakers etc.?
Excuse the quick shitty plan, I don't do a lot of handiwork. Everything's in mm.
>>
>>1879102
I doubt you'll need any. You could put some angle brackets on, but they'd more be just to stop it sliding around rather than any structural support.
>>
If I buy a Defiant Saturn Bed & Bath Room Privacy Door Knob, it will come with a key, right?
>>
File: 11003_clear_2_520x520.jpg (13 KB, 520x520)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
I want to build a picture frame for a very large poster (don't know the exact measurements, but I'd say about 2'x6'). Problem is, the poster has no overhang and I want the entire thing visible. My plan was originally to sandwich the poster between two pieces of plexiglass/acryllic like pic related. Any idea if this will work or is there a better solution?
>>
>>1878810
>land with a stream
Not too much, but depends on area
>house like that
Probably not even $1 million for that
What you will be spending money on is repairs when that stream floods every time it rains and gets into the house.
>>
>>1879441
That doesnt sound nearly as bad as i thought, granted ive done zero work besides see a picture and day dream about it. $1mil+ is still just a fantasy but its nice to know i could get really lucky and get hit by a city bus or something to get a down payment.
Any idea what keywords to use to search for similar designs or pictures?
>>
>>1879450
I searched
""cottage" by stream "riverside" in fall autumn -estate -travel -guide"
and found pic related and some other stuff that may suit your fancy
>>
File: 1518170600333.jpg (864 KB, 1280x1707)
864 KB
864 KB JPG
>>1879452
Yeah i suppose thats close enough to what im about. Thanks man.
Are there ever architecture threads on here? Id like to talk about design elements and see what people like and dislike ect. But i dont know if this would be the right board.
>>
>>1879456
I've seen a few, but I don't come to /diy/ often. Usually only when I'm working on a project or am thinking about building something and need help/suggestions. Good luck on your search for your dream house.
>>
>>1879457
Appreciate it man. I hope all your DIYs go smoothly and turn out great
>>
Is there anyone in the US I can just send a CAD file to and have them CNC machine out a semi intricate metal part?
>>
>>1879353
no
>Locks from the inside with a turn button and unlocks from the outside with a coin or flat piece of metal
>>
I've got a piece of 5mm circular bar stock I'm putting through a hole, what's the easiest way to lock it on both sides to stop it moving?
>>
My safety glasses nearly cost me my eye when gravity stopped working and a piece of debris went under my glasses hitting my eyelid.
I need safety goggles, how can I convert my glasses into goggles?
>>
>>1879148
I see, I guess I can try it without. I'm just worried about it bowing in the middle since it's so long.
>>
>>1879786
If you're that worried, you could just put a piece going down to the floor in the middle of it. But unless you're planning on resting your computer right there, it's probably not going to be an issue.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.