[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: coax.jpg (2.41 MB, 4032x3024)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
So I got this coaxial cable running through my walls already, and I want to replace it with cat5e cable

Is it possible to attach some cat5e cable to the coaxial cable in my room, and then pull the coaxial cable out from the other room?

Pic related are the coaxial cables running through my walls
>>
Yes

Tape the cables together very well before pulling
>>
>>1610794
cool thanks
>>
>>1610790
Is it just one cable? You can try pulling on it but chances are it's not going to budge. The cable probably makes 20 turns.
>>
>>1610790
Probably not mate. For the reasons that >>1610842
Lists
>>
>>1610790

Was the coax cable ran when the house was built?

If so, it is probably tacked down by romex staples. You will never get that cable to budge if so.

If it was ran later on, there is a good chance you can pull it through provided there are not too many friction points.

Good luck
>>
There is some sort of adapter plug that lets you do cat 5 stuff with coax cables. I think it even does it while you continue to use the coax as coax.
>>
>>1610929
No. This is only true if "cat5 stuff" and "use the coax as coax" both mean something like "connect the doorbell switch" in OP's case.

Cat5 transmits data and sometimes electrical power to remote devices using twisted differential pairs. They're twisted at different numbers of turns per unit length to minimize crosstalk between them, but 4 pairs means 4 signals, each made up of a simultaneous positive on one wire and negative on another.

Coax is used for minimizing loss and interference for radio frequency signals carried on the center conductor by shielding it within the surrounding braided ground. They do fundamentally different things, and any device/devices which could conceivably multiplex more things into modulated RF for the coax would either destroy whatever other signals were there, be too expensive and complex to call "an adapter plug," or both.

Anybody who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you a beachfront house in Siberia.
>>
>>1610790
Check in attic. It may route easily. Most data cables are installed by lazy asses.
>>
>>1611300
Well they sell them. From what I read they work. I'm definitely not a tech guy though. What was that about doorbells?
>>
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Dualcomm-Ethernet-over-Adapters-DECA-100/dp/B009AGCLVG&ved=2ahUKEwjnn5b36qDiAhXIwlQKHXnpCbMQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw2JmVk5Z-g4tHiB1sM1mv2L

Not trying to start a pointless argument. I really don't know shit about this but that link does seem like this is what u want.
>>
>>1610790
I've pulled new coax under a house with a tiny crawlspace with the "tape the ends together and pull" method. Worked like a charm. Will it work for you in the wall? Only way to find out is to try. Be bold, OP. Worst you can end up with is a cable you can't use anyway no longer in your wall, or, find out you can't budge it because some autistic ass cable stapled it every 3 inches.
>>
>>1610790
Just buy a MoCA adapter. Actiontec makes an entire line of them.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.