[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 11 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: PETROCHEMICAL.jpg (327 KB, 840x490)
327 KB
327 KB JPG
Has anyone here ever refined oil at home? Or developed a small refinery for personal use?

it would seem pretty useful for preppers and when SHTF
>>
>>1593887
Closest I've heard about is the guys that get serious about biodiesel ow ethanol or methane production.

Fun hobby for amateur chemist. Please mind your garage is a rather large fuel air bomb in the right conditions now and could destroy your neighborhood, so please be careful and dont ruin it for everyone by fucking up
>>
>it would seem pretty useful for preppers and when SHTF
...Where the fuck are you going to get crude oil from?
Just gonna dig a well in your backyard?
>>
>>1593948
The Exxon Valdez will be conveniently fully stocked and set adrift nearby.
>>
>>1593887
IF you have crude oil, it’s essentially a still. You heat the crude, and condense the evaporate.
It’ll be hard to control the quality of the collected materials- everything from benzene to gasoline’s to heating oil.
>>
>>1593948
This hypothetical assumes that you have access to a well or somewhere with stock of crude
>>
File: barnes109sm.jpg (63 KB, 799x599)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>1593948

Crude oil used to be available from mineral seeps near the surface. The phrase "snake oil" refers to the oil collected and bottled from Lake Seneca, then sold as a medicinal in the 19th century.

Problem is, most of those sources are long since depleted.

All these sources are problematic. Ethanol/methanol require a ton of vegetable sugars, and are corrosive to fuel lines unless you take precautions. Wood gas requires the availability of wood in quantity, which is fine except that some disaster scenarios may leave you with no wood for years to come. Ditto for even animal power: livestock requires feed.

Eventually you can cook up an ethanol based system, but how do you survive from now until then? Stockpiles? PV/wind/hydro?

I'd at least have a human-powered backup. Pic related is a screw-cutting metal lathe, pedal-powered, from the late 19th century. I'm surprised there isn't a modern equivalent.
>>
>>1594018

>(Continued, sort of)

All that said, OP has it right to be thinking of this. You can't stockpile your way to eternity. A good grounding in chemistry and supplies to allow for processing of all kinds of chemicals in bulk is a vital and totally ignored part of most shtf plans. There's a plan for soap and booze, but little more than that.
>>
I saw some company selling an at home system to refine organic materials into biodiesel. It was around $3000 for the basic model. I prefer spending my money on guns to steal stuff if SHTF.
>>
14 grams of KOH per liter of used vegetable oil for biodiesel.
>>
>>1593948
Plastic pyrolisys is one very easy source.
>>
>>1594018
They're is, it's called a lathe. Just happens to run on electricity now
>>
>>1593887
>>1593904

Just learn to build a wood gas vehicle, its actually very simple. Pic very related

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.