[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 5 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: usb-wiring-connection.jpg (99 KB, 1024x768)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
I want to buy a USB vga output for my tablet because it has no HDMI on it's own.

In order to prevent the tablet from frying, battery explosion, etc, can I route the two outermost power pins (1&4) of usb to an external power and connect only the two data pins (2&3) to the tablet? Will it work like this? 1 female usb to connect the vga adapter, 1 male with pins 2&3 and 1 male that goes into a usb wall charger with pins 1&4 connected.
>>
>>1593341
A simple usb to vga (or whatever) interface won't pull much power to fry your system.

To answer your question, you can hook it up like you described, except you need to keep the ground wires connected too just like the Data lines. The 5V+ is the only wire you need split.
>>
>>1593347
How would that look in a simple ms paint schematic/drawing?

>A simple usb to vga (or whatever) interface won't pull much power to fry your system.
Most of tablets have ridiculously low power on USB, so I'm worried.
>>
It might work or you might find up your USB port on the laptop due to different grounding.

A better option is just to but a cheap powered USB hub. Plug it into the laptop, power, and USB graphics card.

Also why are you getting a VGA output card if you want HDMI? These are different things.
>>
>>1593350
Look at the USB ports and if any of them have a little lightning icon on them then it's a high power output port.

But you are overthinking this if it's a mainstream brand and made in the last 10 years.
>>
>>1593387
>But you are overthinking this if it's a mainstream brand and made in the last 10 years.
Oh boy, it's a premium Chinese tablet. Too expensive for me to risk damaging it.

>>1593384
>Also why are you getting a VGA output card if you want HDMI?
There are no usb hdmi outputs, only vga.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/USB-VGA-Adapter/32806848832.html
Something like that.

>A better option is just to but a cheap powered USB hub.
As a /csg/ veteran I know these might cause a house fire faster than any diy I could make.
>>
>>1593341
>tablet
this is windows tablet, r-right?
usb - vga will depend on drivers to be functional, its only gonna work 7 / 8 / 10 (maybe). Android, you'd need to check if tablet supports MHL or screencasting.
>>
>>1593350
>How would that look in a simple ms paint schematic/drawing?
No even gonna bother with paint

Imagine opening a USB cable.
Leave Green/White alone.
Connect negative of battery to black (black must still be connected between wire ends)
Cut red wire. Tape/whatever the red wire that goes to tablet. Connect positive of batter to red wire that goes to VGA thingy.
>>
>>1593492
Ur just dumb. There are USB to hdmi converters. But if you think ull have the driver for it in a tablet bend over bby.
>>1594231
You're even dumber assuming color codes for any cable. Maybe reference your dumb pic?

But this thread is dumb af for worrying about power in such a misguided, poorly communicated project.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.