[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Dolphin_man.gif (57 KB, 220x167)
57 KB
57 KB GIF
So, bit of a specific question, but, I'm kind of new to woodworking, and presently, I'm working on a project for my Wood Manufacturing class, and I need to find a cheap, easy to stain wood, that will hold up as furniture (building an end table). Willing to sacrifice quality for significant price drop. Any ideas? Pic unrelated.
>>
pine
>>
>>1534537
PINE
I
N
E
>>
>>1534537
The type of joinery you are planing on will determine what sort of wood will word and last, also knowing where you are in the world would help, hard to say what is cheap without knowing were you are.

>>1534545
>>1534598
Pine is not all that easy to stain, likes to go splotchy, but it is cheap. If op is in the US/Canada fir is almost as cheap, takes to joinery considerably better and is much easier to stain.
>>
>>1534600
>Pine is not all that easy to stain, likes to go splotchy, but it is cheap.

if one is going to completely screw up a beginner project, one should do it with something cheap
>>
>>1534603
Fir stains much better and barely costs more. If you dig through the mixed construction lumber for those nice pieces of fir, it costs the same as pine, but considering OPs question I doubt he can pick through the mixed pine/fir/spruce construction lumber to find those nice pieces of fir.
>>
>>1534600
>Pine is not all that easy to stain, likes to go splotchy,

Pine is perfectly easy to stain non-splotchy if you apply conditioner first.
>>
>>1534641
And now it costs more than the fir and you have an extra step.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.