[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 17 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

File: 20190110_095554.jpg (2.7 MB, 4032x3024)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB JPG
So my mirror fell off. Whats the best way to stick this bitch back on there? Super cold out because im in wisconsin btw
>>
Razor blade to get the old stuff off, then get the glue made for it.
>>
>>1534073
Buy some rearview mirror epoxy, follow the instructions very carefully, clean your surfaces very well, mix for at least 5 minutes, etc. Do all of this with the car running because the epoxy will take forever to cure at low temperatures.
>>
File: 814EDocidZL._SL1500_.jpg (176 KB, 1500x1500)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
Go to auto parts store
Buy rear view mirror adhesive
Glue it back on

Plenty of videos on youtube showing how to use it if you can’t follow instructions.
>>
Loosten the screw to take the small metal piece out, and glue just it on. Wait for it to cure before re-attaching the mirror
>>
> i don't know how to google things: the thread
>>
>>1534073
And find a heated garage...
>>
Not gonna lie I just assumed there wasnt a specific adhesive for rear view mirrors. Good deal
>>
>>1534132
Well it’s called epoxy, but they put it in a small tube and fancy single category use package for stupid people who gladly overpay for it...
>>
>>1534136
>for stupid people who gladly overpay for it
It's like 10 bucks for something you might do once in maybe a decade. If that's a problem for you then you are poor and your opinion doesn't matter.
>>
>>1534099
And do this way.
>>
File: mod9stub-2.jpg (44 KB, 1280x918)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
Just drill a hole through the glass and mirror mount. Probably an m4 screw and nut maybe by 30mm it will never fall of again
>>
>>1534346
this
>>
Every time I do these I autistically measure the dead center of the windshield and draw an outline exactly where I want to epoxy the metal bracket with a dry erase marker. Then I glue it on a few degrees crooked.
>>
>>1534086
>Do all of this with the car running
Preferably while in the garage so the outside air will be warmer. Be sure garage door is closed.
>>
>>1534086
seconding this. Nothing sticks good in the cold. Blast your heat for a while until the windshield is nice and warm, then stick it on and keep it warm while it dries.
>>
>>1534073
Stainless razor blades won’t scratch glass like carbon steel. But I would use goof off. Everyone who said rear view mirror adhesive is correct.
>>
>>1534346
>drilling into a windshield
LOL FUCK NO.
That's how you turn a problem that involves a cheap epoxy into a problem that may involve a new windshield. Don't get me wrong, I get how to use a pilot hole and prevent cracking, but the risk to reward of doing that as opposed to just gluing the damn thing back on is not worth it.
>>
>>1534524
Pretty sure he was joking dude
>>
>>1534114
kek
>>
>>1534546
And I'm pretty sure I made you into an uncle, but your sister wasn't complaining.
>>
I gotta throw it out there. I know "prep work and blah blah," but I have had better luck with that mighty putty BS than I have had with the proper stuff.
>>
JB weld that bitch.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.