[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: rats.jpg (66 KB, 1024x768)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
/diy/ who wants to talk vermin and pest control? I'm open to creative, resettable, especially electronic (optoelectronics, servomotors, solenoids, whatever) vermin traps.
Long story short I have useless pet cats that brought a rat in my house and they won't/can't catch it again. My basement is unfinished and it's nearly impossible to chase after this nimble fucker with all the nooks and crannies.
I could just bait some victor snap-traps in a cardboard tube and call it a day, but I also want to talk about creative electronic rodent-killing traps because my life is really this boring and I would feel great joy in killing loads of vermin with elaborate schemes.
As long as my cats can't accidentally trigger the trap. Also poison is out, I don't want my cats eating a poisoned rat.

Alright so here's a few ideas I've come up with.
1. Trapdoor drowning trap with an optical trigger. Optical gate electronically triggers a trap door so rat drops into bucket of water.
2. Box trap propped up by a stick, which when triggered, stick gets yanked out so the box falls on the animal.
3. Needle stabber.... have a box, tunnel, whatever that has an array of stabbing pokers actuated by solenoids. So the rat triggers an optical sensor and gets stabbed to death, and the tunnel is made long enough so that my cats can't accidentally stick their arms in and trigger the trap.
4. Electrocution trap. Charge up two plate electrodes wired to a very high voltage capacitor, again in a tunnel so it won't be triggered by my pets.
Any other creative ideas?
>>
frank? is that you?

I thought you died....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JJDTKQh7eo
>>
>>1518423
>2.
Add an ardiuno and sensor(s). A blend of the simple and exotic
>1,3,4,
Turn 'em loose somewhere, they're just trying to survive like everyone else
>>
>>1518428
Maybe they can "survive" being rat-a-pulted 50 yards in to the orchard next door
>>
File: Mouse Trap - 006_1088a.jpg (1.6 MB, 1024x2049)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
>>1518423
Here's a few I made. This first one is a design that's nearly 430 years old. It works by making the mouse chew through the trigger string to get at the bait and activate the trap. The one in this image used coat hanger wire, but that isn't springy enough. Here's a video about them and this guy's channel is amazing for mouse traps,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvWD-E-gbkk

If you make one of these, there's a few design "musts." The distance between the garrote wire and the trigger string needs to be wide enough so the mouse can get its full head in. The distances between the hole walls, the trigger string sides, and between the two sides of the trigger string all need to be small enough so the mouse can't slip around. The distance between the trigger string and the back of the hole needs to be far enough so that when bait is added the mouse can't reach its paws through to grab it. If the spring isn't powerful enough, the mouse will escape. The video above uses fence wire, but not all fence wire is created equal. Some is super soft and not springy, while others are kind of amazing with how strong and spring-like they are. Other you can use the next one...
>>
File: Mouse Trap - 006_1112a.jpg (1.92 MB, 2048x1366)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
>>1518451
Here's a mockup I did using a modified spring off a useless store-bought rat trap. The spring is rather strong so this one works well at pinning the mouse and killing it. Each rat trap has two of these springs, usually. The original rat trap rarely works unless you put a shroud over it so the rat/mouse can't trigger it incorrectly. The ones I had would break themselves about 2 minutes after setting them. The staples that held the springs down were shit and the wood was too soft to hold them. So they'd suddenly explode with parts all over the place.

So, I made a couple of these with the springs.
>>
File: Mouse Trap - 006_1126n.jpg (3.44 MB, 2048x2732)
3.44 MB
3.44 MB JPG
>>1518453
Here's the other spring for the store-bought rat trap. I like the idea of using a tree limb crotch since it has a built in lift on the back for the spring. However, the wood is hard to drill into even with a drill press.

9-hole version,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYUlXh5mDDU

3D printed version,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quCdxm-ohO8

Latest 3D printed model with special slots for the trigger string,
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2827708
>>
>>1518454
>>1518453
>>1518451
I forgot to mention that the hole for the trigger string is 1/8" diameter. I use a bamboo skewer with a slit in one end to slide the trigger string into then use the stick to thread the string through the holes. The split end of the stick compressed the string as it goes into the holes and doesn't let go of the string. You can see the stick in >>1518451 on top of the mouse trap. I also drill a hole for the stick to rest in when not in use (bottom image of that post, on the right side).

The strings are those that come from animal feed bags. Like corn, chicken feed, and pet food.
>>
One of the best traps is the rotating water bucket.

Bucket, beer can, peanut butter, metal rod and a layer of water.
>>
Mousetrap Monday
https://m.youtube.com/user/historichunter/videos
>>
>>1518423
That’s all interesting, but are you SURE your cats won’t get trapped?

I’ve got cats, and attract opossums and raccoons to their outdoor food. For this I have a Havahart trap. If I catch a cat, I let him go. If I get a possum or ‘coon, it’s .22 caliber extermination time. :-)
>>
File: Coon Cuff Traps.jpg (700 KB, 2048x2847)
700 KB
700 KB JPG
>>1518586
Ever heard of coon cuffs? The raccoons here learned how to keep from getting trapped in both the Conibear traps and the Havahart traps. Coon cuffs works against their inquisitive nature and seem to be completely pet proof.
>>
>>1518586
Whatever I end up choosing will be at the worst an annoyance for a cat. The drowning bucket looks promising and there’s no danger of my cat drowning itself in a few inches of water.
>>
>>1518684
Great idea. I’ll try them out. Thanks!

But my raccoons are not genius level. I caught two trapped in the un baited havahart.
>>
sort of pest related. will a .177 or .22 caliber air rifle also fire plastic BBs of either of those calibers? not airsoft but actual BBs.
want something that I can shoot indoor pests with if necessary.
>>
>>1518928
>plastic BBs
>not airsoft, actual BBs
Son I teeel you wut

I was gonna give you plastic BB until you stumbled.
>>
>>1518928
An air rifle of N caliber will fire any projectile of N caliber, the material matters not. Strike anywhere match heads are close enough to .177 that they make decent ammo.
>>
>>1518684
they dont chew off their own limbs?
>>
>>1518932
so what if I stumbled? put me some knowledge.
I thought airsoft pellet dimensions were not compatible with .22 ga air rifles.
>>
>>1518971
When you are trapping you always check very often. It is only irresponsible trappers who have animals chew off their limbs.
>>
>>1518454
>>1518453
>>1518451
I won't be building something as involved as that, but those deserve a (you)
>>
>>1518928
Just buy an airsoft gun. The magazines on airsoft guns are way better than pellet guns, and you won't be able to use plastic balls in pellet guns.
They also make plastic pellets FYI. More accurate than balls, but obviously not as accurate as lead because they're not as dense.
>>
>>1518478
Update: I built a bucket trap. Also I put a victor snap trap in one of the rat's hangouts where my cats can't go.
If those don't work after a few days I'll get more creative.
>>
>>1518928
Q-tips, cut in half
>>
File: Untitled.png (223 KB, 767x1050)
223 KB
223 KB PNG
>>1520597
If you use the bucket trap with water in the bottom, you should know that you don't need an actual bucket. The mice/rats can't jump out of the water very high so you don't need a very high container. The lower the container's top is to the floor the more effective it will be to trap the mice/rats. The water just needs to be deep enough that they can barely touch the bottom without being able to jump off the bottom or just a bit deeper than that.

>>1518928
Airguns are highly effective against rodents. You can get air rifles that kill deer with .45cal slugs. People use air rifles with .22cal slugs to kill raccoons and opossums all the time,

https://www.topairgun.com/hunting-air-rifles
>>
>>1520702
>buckets
Yep I read about all that.

Anyway the snap trap caught the bugger last night.
>>
File: 006_1178a.jpg (482 KB, 1024x1358)
482 KB
482 KB JPG
>>1518453
>>1518454
I'm been moving these traps around to different rooms. No mice yet, until I moved them into the garage last night. This one seems to work really well.
>>
>>1518423
I just want to state that i have noticed the Skaven Crest on the sleeve of your OP-Pic.
>>
File: Skaven.jpg (63 KB, 760x392)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>1522913
Makes sense.
>>
File: caution.jpg (92 KB, 500x436)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
If you actually have a pest problem then buy some poison and use that. Alternatively if you're poor: peanut butter stick over a bucket full of water.

Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be, because the more complicated your design means the more things that can fuck up and potential liability if you kill/maim someone's cat or retarded child.
>>
File: NO PETS IN BED.jpg (457 KB, 1500x1108)
457 KB
457 KB JPG
>>1522993
>some poison

That is the last thing you do. The first thing is to clean everything up and make sure there's no water or food source. Then use as many traps as you can for 2 full weeks until you are not getting anything at all and there's no signs of rodents. Only then do you switch out to using poisons. The reason for this is a dead poisoned mouse living in your house smells terrible after a few days. That can ruin a couch or stink you out of a room or two if it is in a wall. Not fun. With the traps, you catch all the mice that are living in the house. Then the poison bait is for all the new rodents that enter while scouting. They will take the bait and go back to your neighbor's house/apartment and die in their walls. Also, if you have indoor pets, the rodents from outside that get poisoned don't tend to die in the areas where the pets could find and eat the body. The rodents living in your house do have the chance of ending up as food for your pet. Which can cause problems for the pet. Personally, I recommend people don't have pets. They are a waste of all resources.
>>
>>1522993
It's inside my house, not concerned about hurting other people or their pets.
Also I'm not going to use poison if the rodent can just crawl somewhere inaccessible to die, fuck that.
I tried a bucket trap for a few days, rat was too clever.
In the end a cheap-o victor trap did the trick. Rat's good and dead.
>>
File: whitecat.jpg (17 KB, 400x400)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>1518423
Pest control, you say?
>get airsoft/airgun
>add IR sight **if you can borrow/rent, do so. Although, a good IR sight is a breddy gud long term investment for low-vis/light PID**
>get biodegradable BBs/airgun ammo
>set trap
>wait
>shoot any pest you see
>zwippit
>zwippit
>zwippt
>profit
Once done, get dead pest and cremate. The ash can be used as fertilizer. And since the BBs are biodegradable, you can just leave them inside the pest.
>>
>>1524776
>IR sight

Just get a laser pointer and zero it in.
>>
>>1518423
try this guys channel, he has some good shit, he is to mice and rats what Ratko Mladic was to Bosnian muslims.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYbru-MPO1xjes4FVn61JUQ
>>
File: just chillin'.jpg (208 KB, 640x427)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>1518453
Fug these things are amazing. I've been setting them all over the farm; killing mice left and right.
>>
File: Untitled.png (612 B, 116x39)
612 B
612 B PNG
>>1527948
Damn, page 11 save...
>>
What the fuck is wrong with you people? Would you like drowning to death? Just use a live trap and drive them 10 minutes to a forest or something. If I saw someone setting that raccoon trap, they would be lucky if all I did was cut their hand off. What the fuck? Why you fools desire to cause so much pain for something just trying to exist? They have no idea about your "modern society." Get a fucking life
>>
>>1520702

I agree that there's various reasons to hunt everything on that list, but I'm iffy about foxes (I guess they're a problem if you keep chickens or actually plan on using the fur?), and I can't think of a single reason you'd want to kill a possum, considering they don't really kill pets, are a poor disease vector, and they eat all sorts of insects that are.
>>
>>1528789

Psychopaths and Sociopaths are unfortunatently genetically defective but society is to pussy to properly deal with them.
>>
>>1518423
>killing
Fuck you cunt. Use only catch and release traps or I'm going to find you.
>>
>>1528886
For food, obviously.

>>1528906
Releasing animals in different locations is illegal in much of the civilized world.

>>1528902
>>1528789
Giving animals, "rights," is a sign of mental and social defects.
>>
>>1528789
The point is that dogs, cats, rabbits, might all step into a live capture trap.

None of those animals are going to shove their paws into a raccoon hand trap.
>>
>>1529051

>for food

If we're talking emergency situation sure, but they're scavengers and eat some pretty vile shit. Lot of guides recommend capturing them and feeding them stuff like corn before a few days before eating them.

I'd like to point out that I also don't care if people kill and eat possums, just curious about the practicality of it.
>>
>>1529215
It is quite obvious you and those guides don't know anything about wild animals. The only animals you need to perform that function with are snails and other plant eating animals where you'll be ingesting their digestive tracts where toxic or poisonous plantmatter may still reside and harm you even after cooking. I don't know of any plant eating animals where you'd be eating their digestive tracts other than snails.

>just curious about the practicality of it.

I can set out traps in my backyard and catch raccoons, skunks, opossums, and stray cats pretty much every night of the week. The cats get taken to the local animal shelter where they get tested, euthanized if they have certain diseases, or spayed/neutered & vaccinated then put up for national adoption of they are not diseased. The other animals, including the skunks are butchered and eaten. I can get so much meat that I can have quite a surplus in the freezer.

>emergency situation

lol
>>
>>1529239

Let's be honest, you eat those cats too.
>>
>>1529249
I don't eat full carnivores. Omnivores is as far as I go. I don't even eat snakes and turtles anymore. Fish are the only exception.
>>
File: IMG_0494.jpg (1.49 MB, 3264x2448)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
>>1518423
Don't know what this fucking as been eating as it was at a vacation cabin.
>>
File: IMG_0496.jpg (1.38 MB, 3264x2448)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
>>1531782
BTW that's a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket for sizing comparison
>>
File: Alberta Ca.png (347 KB, 1124x660)
347 KB
347 KB PNG
>>1531782
It probably just used your place as a living and storage house.
>>
>>1531944
Okay, what the fuck is Alberta's secret?
>>
>>1532036
They have a government funded war on all rats that's been on-going since the 1950s. Google, "Alberta Rat Patrol." It is very successful.
>>
>>1531782
Probably ate all the mice that got caught in the bucket lel
>>
>>1531784
look at dem nuts
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (103 KB, 1280x720)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>1527948
>>1522203
>>1518454
>>1518453
>set these traps
>catch mice within 10 mins
>reset
>repeat

These things + catfood is insane. I need to make more. People are trying to rent mine. It is actually worth it to just buy rat traps to harvest the springs off them since those are so cheap locally.
>>
>>1534437
A clue to how stupid mice are:
>see 3 of your mates hanging dead with their heads stuck in 3 holes.
>go ahead and stick your head in the 4th hole.
>>
>>1534445
Sometimes they eat the dead ones.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (119 KB, 1280x720)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>1534445
>8 dead mates
>this hole was made for me....
>>
>>1534437
>phone call at 8am
>"Hello?"
>*squeeee!!!* "We caught 8 mice last night!!!! *squeeee!!!*
>"Uh...H-Hello?"

Seems that the one I gave my relative has been working overtime. I caught 5 last night. I should have taken their pelts. By the end of the month I would have enough for a coat.
>>
>>1534448
>ate] [Auto]
>>1534437
>>1527948
>>1518453
>>1518451
can someone give me the diamensions to make one of these
thanks
>>
>>1518971
Don't those work because they won't let go of the thing?

>been here awhile now
>fist stuck, too big
>better chew my arm off
>least I didn't have to let go of that thing in there
>>
>>1518460
Hi Shawn, you make every day a Monday :^)
>>
File: mouse trap 00.png (11 KB, 567x291)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>1535275
The hole dimensions are here. Everything else can be radically different since you can use just about any spring mechanism you want. The main point is that the choker wire can travel all the way from the bottom of the large hole to the roof of the large hole to pin the mouse. The distance from the choker wire holes to the trigger string holes is just large enough for the mouse to get its entire head in. The distance between the sides of the large hole, the triggers strings, and between the trigger strings is equal so there's no large gap the mouse can simply squeeze around to get the bait. The end of the large hole needs to be far enough away from the trigger strings that the mouse can't reach through the strings to grab the bait.

The spring can be those long springs or just a torsion spring from something else. Torsion springs will make for smaller traps like in >>1518453 and >>1518454 If the torsion spring thick and has long enough legs you can omit the riser and the extension dowel rod.

The choker wire can be just about anything so long as it can be easily pulled up through the holes. Some of these traps have a slot instead of 2 holes for the choker wire. Those are slightly more work to make the slot, but it will have better movement with even weaker springs. For slots, use a Dremel with a, "561 MultiPurpose Cutting Bit."

>>1535309
?
>>
>>1535358
Here's what a slotted one with torsion springs looks like.
>>
File: 6148.jpg (2.42 MB, 2611x1806)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB JPG
>>1535359
>>
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 225x225)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>1535361
>>
File: 456455.jpg (141 KB, 1280x720)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>1535362
>>
File: 78898.jpg (92 KB, 1280x720)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>1535363
wtf are these springs?
>>
File: 456.jpg (72 KB, 1280x720)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>1535364
These springs also look terrible.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (99 KB, 1280x720)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>1535365
>>
>>1535366
>>
File: Irish trap.jpg (86 KB, 651x366)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>1535367
>>
File: 456456.jpg (51 KB, 480x360)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>1535368
>>
File: 006_1412a.jpg (1.62 MB, 2048x1366)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB JPG
Oh fug, these are easy to make now. I got a pack of these torsion springs. The spring is way more than what is needed, but they are the perfect size for this. The entire mouse trap costs around $2.10 to make. Most of the cost is in the spring, those are nearly $2 each.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.