[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sad-blacksad.jpg (281 KB, 827x731)
281 KB
281 KB JPG
What /co/-related thing did he just see?
>>
He saw they are suing the pants off of santa
>>
>>127248388
He saw Weekly's laundry pile and knows that the smell is about to hit him like a truck.
>>
>>127248388
The catalog.
>>
>>127248388
The fact that his series is never ever getting writing close to matching its art.
>>
>>127248388
The fact that the writers apparently thought that one druggie author who got a bunch of people fucking killed through his volume-long hissyfit is a tortured and sympathetic character.
>>
>>127248388

>humans having sex
>>
>>127249491
Blamelessness isn't a requirement for a character to be sympathetic.
>>
>>127249632
>homosapienphilia
Degenerate
>>
>>127248388
He just saw the Post-Covid Special
>>
File: jobber of world.png (2.27 MB, 1202x923)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB PNG
>>127248388
What Cates has done to Marvel.
>>
>>127249787
No, but some sort of self reflection and willingness to change, around the third body or so, is.
>>
As much as I liked certain parts from Arctic Nation, the racism allegory continues to be incredibly pedantic and applies no real logic from the comic's own world.
Should have just stuck with an infighting between animal classes like the first story implied.
>>
>>127250915
But it's not an allegory, it's literally racism. Well, specieism really, but in the mind of the racist that's literally the same anyway
>>
>>127250915
>allegory
Bruh it was so goddamn obvious it makes Zootopia look like the Divine Comedy.
>>
>>127249468
So should the artist have tried and draw the thing worse or
>>
>>127248388
those threads about children's cartoons that inevitably devolve into pedophilia
>>
>>127250954
The way race works in Blacksad changes from story to story, which is annoying if you're reading every volume back to back.
Arctic Nation annoys me especially because it forced the artist to stifle his own artstyle just to make the racism work. He had to cut down on the great variety of animals he'd fill the world with. The reptiles are just gone, nowhere to be seen even in the background, and the birds and mammals never stray from the ones with black, white or brown fur/feathers. In fact, I think the only birds that appear are black crows. Fun designs like the McCarthy rooster can't exist in Arctic Nation and it sucks.
>>
>>127251502
>The way race works in Blacksad changes from story to story
yeah, I think racial discrimination in the stories is more interesting as
>Lizards X mammals X etc
than
>white X black lmao
>>
File: nick-meets-blacksad.png (149 KB, 279x399)
149 KB
149 KB PNG
>>127251502
I agree it's more limiting, but I think the Arctic Nation parallel works better because it's essentially establishing how pointless the whole idea is to begin with.

Using a species=races model is fine as a background setting detail, but being the core theme of the book, colors=races is more workable. Doing a Zootopia-type parallelism with animal species is kind of facile and self-defeating (not to mention offensive) since you're basically acknowledging a deep biological difference; you make the issue more about "we need to get along even though we're different" than the more broad and usable "we're not really different, so there's no reason to not get along".
>>
>>127251389
You just literally described /co/
>>
>>127252460
>I think the Arctic Nation parallel works better because it's essentially establishing how pointless the whole idea is to begin with.
But wouldn't that have worked better then if they had kept the reptiles and the animals with funnier colors? To show how completely out of touch the Arctic Nation was?
No, I don't think it was an intentional choice to make it look pointless, they just wanted it to parallel real life racism more closely, to the detriment of the setting.
>>
>>127248388
the fact that is is just our world but with animal people really hurts the setting. like how there was a cat Hitler that murdered monkey jews.
if the author wanted to talk about real life bigotry he should have thought more about the world settings like zootopia did with carnivorous and herbivorous or maybe just have a class derision division based on species with powerful, big and dangerous animals being wealth and respected in society while the weaker animals get treated as second class
>>
>>127250954
the metaphor doesn't work the cat is treated like a negro eventhrough he also has white fur parts
meanwhile the albino tiger with black stripes is a respected member of the city
>>
>>127253366
>the albino tiger with black stripes is a respected member of the city
Makes even less sense when you consider his inbred son was a cheetah. I get that it's a reference to real-life cheetahs, but by the metaphor of the book the two don't even look like father and son.
>>
bumpo
>>
>>127248388
He spent an hour on /co/ trying to argue with retards who lie and shitpost on purpose.
>>
>>127256790
Blacksad's too good for that.
>>
>>127248388
he saw homestuck shit
>>
>>127248388
His waifu Alma getting railed by that chad bird property developer bird.
>>
he met a guy today named whitehappy
>>
san
>>
>>127248388
His thread got taken down by token mental disability jannies and one about a flavor of the week popped up.
>>
> Blacksad series is 21 years old
> only JUST releasing its sixth volume
I love the series but holy fuck how does it take 3+ years to write/draw a single 50-page story? That's 2 pages every month.
>>
>>127252460
>since you're basically acknowledging a deep biological difference
I don't think this applies to blacksad world, there's no real difference among aside for their look, in zootopia there are massive difference of abilities and strenght, and the fact carnivores actually eat erbivores
>>
>>127253321
This would bring the problem >>127252460 is talking about, those massive difference don't translate well in the real world, they would be incredibly interesting, like in beastars, but wouldn't work as a racism parallel
>>
>>127259757
We need good jannies. It can make a huge difference.
>>
>>127260324
Both writer and artist have done other things in that time, so I guess they just get together when the mood takes them, or when inspiration strikes.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.